Ugly dodger collection

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great idea. String some lights on her and you will have the Perfect Christmas Tree Boat.  

I go with cool.  Tartan Ten  is always a fairly cool boat.     Tartan Ten with hard dodger gets conceptually similar in crew facilities to the Class40 and other contemporary short-handed offshore boat

Sorry but to me it looks like a cool boat meant to be actually sailed short handed. I can imagine myself sipping tea inside that dog house while the boat soldiers across the Celtic sea in crossed seas

Posted Images

That must be an armored dodger from a boat in Baltimore, Ohio :o

"Ohio?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

Someone finally got it. :)

That must be an armored dodger from a boat in Baltimore, Ohio :o

"Ohio?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

Someone finally got it. :)

Most of us just figured you were an idiot. Everybody knows Baltimore is in Ireland.

That dodger must be as big as the sail area on that thing. I was sure it was British but it turned out only the boat was.

For what they spent on that canvas they could have bought a much bigger boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure whether this would be more appropriate in the Craigslist thread or here... it's not EXACTLY a dodger but is definitely custom canvas, and it's... interesting.

00W0W_g1EJGOdy4Ag_600x450.jpg

http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/4975088349.html

Yes, this is a boom tent. Extends the use of the boat rather considerably. Usually not up when sailing - but I have seen some ...

Can't see any real issues with it. Apart from that it is requires some work when setting up and taking down.

But I am happy I do not any today.

/J

• 3 weeks later...

I actually kind of like the dodger, in itself. The boat is just a bit undersized for it.

Um... looks kind of like the one I've got on the drawing board, literally... ^_^

Handyman window fab ? Is it not ugly enough that the details have to be ugly , too? http://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/5030359208.html

01212_cdSfhLrM1sv_600x450.jpg

That must be an E27. Same kind of angle on the cabin trunk that I'm wrassling with. They're kind of screwed by the traveler location. And where does that mainsheet lead to? I guess the thing to do there would be put the traveler up on top of the (deeper) dodger. But maybe there is not room?

This is average for that type of boat, but it does make me wonder how you actually sail it, if you do:

Dodger2_zps9eaur646.jpg

This is closer to special. I didn't want to get too close for a picture in case it was contagious:

Dodger1_zpsokyki0r1.jpg

Yar, that be one boat behind another surely me heartys.

Nope. The house was built around the mizzen on that boat. Looked like it was being used for fishing.

I had hoped as well, but if so, they are rafted up by a line passing from the top of one mast to the other. :wacko:

Yar, that be one boat behind another surely me heartys.

Nope. The house was built around the mizzen on that boat. Looked like it was being used for fishing.

I had hoped as well, but if so, they are rafted up by a line passing from the top of one mast to the other. :wacko:

Seems an unconventional way of doing it.

This is average for that type of boat, but it does make me wonder how you actually sail it, if you do:

Dodger2_zps9eaur646.jpg

This is closer to special. I didn't want to get too close for a picture in case it was contagious:

Dodger1_zpsokyki0r1.jpg

gross...its got hemorrhoids.

OK, enough.

DDW, that grey boat has a hideous pilothouse.

Second Wind, that giant sailboat has an enclosed flybridge with ugly square edges.

Semi, that blue boat has a cockpit enclosure, and really about the best looking one that can be inflicted on such a boat.

None of them have ugly dodgers.

OK, enough.

Second Wind, that giant sailboat has an enclosed flybridge with ugly square edges.

Semi, that blue boat has a cockpit enclosure, and really about the best looking one that can be inflicted on such a boat.

Woops, offended the thread police again. It'd be an awful shame if people actually, you know, tried to participate in the threads, right?

The Navi deserves to be here because, given the opportunity to build something huge and beautiful, they came up with that. It's irrelevant whether you want to classify it as a dodger or a flybridge. WTF cares? I guess I could have started an Ugly Structures Intended to Protect the Cockpit thread, but nope, I just posted it here.

And the little center console I shouldn't have posted in the zombie thread still hasn't moved yet, either.

:P

OK, enough.

Woops, offended the thread police again. It'd be an awful shame if people actually, you know, tried to participate in the threads, right?

The Navi deserves to be here because, given the opportunity to build something huge and beautiful, they came up with that. It's irrelevant whether you want to classify it as a dodger or a flybridge. WTF cares? I guess I could have started an Ugly Structures Intended to Protect the Cockpit thread, but nope, I just posted it here.

And the little center console I shouldn't have posted in the zombie thread still hasn't moved yet, either.

:P

Hah, OK, you're right. Though an "Ugly Houses" thread isn't such a bad idea, this boat does deserve to be here for putting the box the flybridge came in up on top of that boat.

• 1 month later...

I'm making good progress on mine.

Seeing as I'm a dead man truckin anyway, because of the companionway.

IMG_9141.jpg

Should I be using polyester or dyneema for the lashings? Polyester has always scared me a bit , because the boat is wooden.

IMG_9141.jpg

OMG, that companion way. There should be laws against that. Someone, please impound this boat immediately. :P

IMG_9141.jpg

Should I be using polyester or dyneema for the lashings? Polyester has always scared me a bit , because the boat is wooden.

You should be using narwhal gut, like the Eskimos. You also need a bunch of cedar shakes for the roof.

IMG_9141.jpg

OMG, that companion way. There should be laws against that. Someone, please impound this boat immediately. :P

Why bother? It will sink at anchor in a Force 1

IMG_9141.jpg

You should be using narwhal gut, like the Eskimos. You also need a bunch of cedar shakes for the roof.

Forget the cedar shakes - they'll rot.

post-95343-0-26654500-1439303810_thumb.jpg

Gosh, seeing as my leetle project has been so well recieved I have another photo and a much more serious question.

IMG_9137.jpg

Given that I'm gonna die because of the companionway and walking into bamboo poles, should I stay with Heineken, or bust out into something more exotic, like a Corona ...or even a Stella?

Wait!! I see I'm already drinking wifebeater.. Its happening already.

Gosh, seeing as my leetle project has been so well recieved I have another photo and a much more serious question.

IMG_9137.jpg

Given that I'm gonna die because of the companionway and walking into bamboo poles, should I stay with Heineken, or bust out into something more exotic, like a Corona ...or even a Stella?

Wait!! I see I'm already drinking wifebeater.. Its happening already.

You may need to downgrade to PBR.

Did this one rear it's ugly head yet? Sorry if the picture is gigantic.

main.jpg

That's an ugly dodger and a fairly ugly boat but I like it. Stringing the Bimini from the ugly dodger to the backstays is nice. No poles and straps.

That mast seems too far forward to me. I don't care for the furler strung up the mast.

Seems like a good candidate for Admiration by the Society to me. Not all that ugly compared to some entries but it looks practical.

I think I'd trash the aft cabin to get a bigger cockpit. Leave just a cuddy, head, and mini galley fwd. Cut down the rig to leave just steadying sails, and support for a couple outriggers like a tuna boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the boats in this thread are so ugly to start with that the dodger is really hard to call out as out of place. If your boat looks like a shrimp boat to start with who cares if you build a wheelhouse on top of it. On the other hand, we have this. Every T52 ad on Yacht World quotes Bobs "one of the sweetest sheers ever drawn" comment on the boat. Making it look like a shrimp boat is pretty criminal.

3697919_20110824112519_5_XLARGE.jpg&w=92

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure where to dump these, the first should probably be in "UGLY DODGER", but i think that the second belongs here.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/trailersailer/auction-946132360.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-955602317.htm

Probably? I think you might have found a champion.

408869974.jpg

From the Composting Head th'd, if nothing else it lived through 4 typhoons this year and still going (well actually only 3, they just sailed through the same depression twice)

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54aedc15e4b083d0979b479e/t/55f8dcbee4b075e4682567a9/1442372860675/?format=750w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54aedc15e4b083d0979b479e/t/55f8e21fe4b03eacc66c734c/1442374326188/?format=750w

That Gozzard thing is not a dodger. It's really ugly and it's some canvas forward, but it's not a dodger.

If it were a dodger, you'd be able to sit with your back against the bulkhead and use it to hide from spray. But it ends before that point, so you'd get wet, so you've dodged nothing. Not a dodger.

Still a worthy entry. I never knew canvas could be so wildly out of proportion as to cause people's faces to become radioactive and shine white in pics, but we see the evidence.

Seen at the Annapolis boat show today, on the Gozzard 31:

bad_dodger.jpg

Wow! Just....wow! Vertical AND full height even where you don't need it.

Somebody really did this on purpose too!?!?!!?!?!

This thread scares me. I'm going to be meeting with a canvas maker soon to discuss a dodger for my boat and I sure don't want it to end up on this thread! She seems to have a good appreciation of aesthetics though so I'm hopeful, but my boat presents some design challenges.

This thread scares me. I'm going to be meeting with a canvas maker soon to discuss a dodger for my boat and I sure don't want it to end up on this thread! She seems to have a good appreciation of aesthetics though so I'm hopeful, but my boat presents some design challenges.

Just look at some examples of her work - you'll quickly get an idea of her design and stitching abilities. I 've been following this thread since inception and I doubt many of the real beasts on it are professionally done - some, like that Bayfield one, obviously are but I daresay the real uglies are mostly home brew.

FWIW, I have rarely seen a candidate for this thread in the flesh - most dodgers out there are pretty well done.

Me too. Im getting new canvas built for me over the winter. Keeping fingers crossed it comes out well.

Me too. Im getting new canvas built for me over the winter. Keeping fingers crossed it comes out well.

Do a cheap mockup, step back from the boat and look at it.

Just look at some examples of her work - you'll quickly get an idea of her design and stitching abilities. I 've been following this thread since inception and I doubt many of the real beasts on it are professionally done - some, like that Bayfield one, obviously are but I daresay the real uglies are mostly home brew.

FWIW, I have rarely seen a candidate for this thread in the flesh - most dodgers out there are pretty well done.

It does happen though. One of the inspirations for this thread is a Mirage 30 saddled with a vertical dodger similar to the Gozzard's. It looked stupid day one ans still does, years later.

This. Once you have a concept, you can get electrical conduit and bend up a $15 frame and tape a cheap tarp to it. Then take some pictures and play with them in Photoshop. Alternatively, skip the mock up and go right to photoshop. Some boats are challenging as you need to balance access to the companionway, spray protection and visibility. I like to mockup as you can also us it to look at winch handle arcs, sheet angles, etc. Wider and taller bridge decks and steep companionway a (think Swan) can mean taller and more upright dodgers and you end up trading up ease of access or looks.

This. Once you have a concept, you can get electrical conduit and bend up a $15 frame and tape a cheap tarp to it. Then take some pictures and play with them in Photoshop. Alternatively, skip the mock up and go right to photoshop. Some boats are challenging as you need to balance access to the companionway, spray protection and visibility. I like to mockup as you can also us it to look at winch handle arcs, sheet angles, etc. Wider and taller bridge decks and steep companionway a (think Swan) can mean taller and more upright dodgers and you end up trading up ease of access or looks.
I've seen it done with just conduit and tape, but the cheap tarp is a good idea as it would facilitate placement of vision windows.

I have an existing frame. Just replacing the canvas. If it atleast looks like it originally did new, I will be very happy.

I have a frame and the old canvas to use as a template. I've talked to 7 canvas shops and they all refuse to use the old canvas and frame as a template.

They want $2500 for a small dodger for a 30 foot boat.

I don't get it.

I have an existing frame. Just replacing the canvas. If it atleast looks like it originally did new, I will be very happy.

I have a frame and the old canvas to use as a template. I've talked to 7 canvas shops and they all refuse to use the old canvas and frame as a template.

I don't get it.

Send all that stuff to Soñadora and he'll make it happen. :lol:

Edit: We paid $3K for replacement canvas. $2500 for a full new dodger sounds pretty good.

I don't get it.

Sounds like you need to use a new shop. Cant believe no one in the area would do it.

The place I am using (Eastern Sails & Canvas) came out and built a template from the existing frame that was ON the boat, and then, took the old canvas and frame with them as a reference. They are going to install on the existing frame in the spring before launch.

I don't get it.

Send all that stuff to Soñadora and he'll make it happen. :lol:

Edit: We paid $3K for replacement canvas. $2500 for a full new dodger sounds pretty good.

I agree $2500 for a BRAND new frame and canvas installed is a deal, in my opinion. For just canvas I am pay around $4k for a large size california style dodger with the vinyl backed water proof sunbrella fabric called SeaMark.