• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

deeper keel.....https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2298988676886424  

7m keel.. yikes

The real question is how deep you would make the keel on a 92-93 foot version of rambler built in 2019 if you wanted to sail it with a bunch of Volvo ocean race veterans.    And what color y

Posted Images

Volcano Race

Gaeta-Aeolian Islands-Gaeta (Italy)

Gaeta, Italy, 20 May 2016

George David' RAMBLER 88 (USA) crossed the Gaeta finish line at 03:25:18 local time on Friday May 20, first home in 1 day, 14 hours and 20 minutes. RAMBLER claims 2016 Volcano Race Line Honours and has therefore smashed, by seven hours, Esimit Europa 2's record created over the same 398 mile course in 2015.

Launched in December 2014, Juan Kouyoumdjia designed, Rambler 88 ft supermaxi is the most cutting edge racing sailboat built to date at NEB, New England Boatworks, Portsmouth RI (US).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG_5491-Rambler@Andrea-Carlon_BD-1024x6

That is some serious sail area. What is the wind range of that thing? Can't be much, but it sure must be nice to have it when you need it.

As you can see in the pic, that's their upper wind limit. Once there are white caps it's straight to the dock...

That is some serious sail area. What is the wind range of that thing? Can't be much, but it sure must be nice to have it when you need it.

As you can see in the pic, that's their upper wind limit. Once there are white caps it's straight to the dock...

Didnt it do the SYD-HBT last year and from memory i think there was more than just White caps

I was referring to the headsail they have up in this picture, and you're right, it looks as though they're getting ready for a sail change.

You comment about heading for the dock when white caps are out is quite ridiculous though.

They in the AC?

They in the AC?

would be cool to the AC using these super maxi's ..

I was referring to the headsail they have up in this picture, and you're right, it looks as though they're getting ready for a sail change.

You comment about heading for the dock when white caps are out is quite ridiculous though.

No, it's just standard procedure to have the next sail possible on deck & ready to go. So if there is a velocity, wind angle or the current sail fails there is no delay replacing it. The headsail's if the wind increases or goes forward, &there's probably an asso close by if the angle frees.

Speaking of white caps... Day 1 in Sardinia cancelled due to 35k+. Wouldn't get some big boats safely through the harbour entrance in that breeze. Video of Day 2 in lumpy left over seas that the super maxis just slide over. Rambler has only got Leopard for company in the 100' racers.

Everyone shits on Leopard but it's always been a quick boat, even in the 100ft field. It was less than half an hour behind WOXI when it did Hobart & owns a few records too.

Leopard was built with some cruising capability and was never a flat out racer. Nice boat but Rambler would expect to beat them. The wind was up so perhaps they were able to utilise their 12 foot advantage but I suspect something else?

Yes Leopard is the chubby cousin, but it's always been quick. Broke the Fastnet record & almost beat WOXI at her own game in her first serious race. Ahead of Maximus in the 2009 race which went on to beat WOXI in 2011 & the team has had three line honours podiums in the three starts for the Sydney-Hobart -including one in a rental boat.

3rd 2002

2nd 2007

3rd 2009

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

That is sad news, glad all are okay. Absolute beast and a clear development from the last gen VO70's, looking at both side by side in Bermuda R88 has much more crew protection and an aft companionway between the helm stations so you aren't traversing 20'+ of open deck from the the helm to the cockpit.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah when you look at all the work and development they have done it's easy to see why they were quicker than Scallywag in the Fastnet notwithstanding they had their favoured angles happening. 

I don't really think the angles have much to do with it, its honestly just that rambler is simply the better boat. Rambler is state of the art and I'm not saying that scallywag isn't it's just that scallywag is an older boat that hasn't really undergone any major modifications. The crew on rambler also has that boat pretty dialed in as they have been racing her hard for the past 5 years. The scallywags just started campaigning the 100 footers again as they were all caught up in the Volvo. Also how the fuck did the angles favor rambler. They probably favored her for half of the race bc they were vmg running the way back from the rock. If anything scallywag should've overtaken rambler on the way back from the rock considering scally was skinny little hips and rambler has to drag around that fat ass.

5 hours ago, pshachoy said:

I don't really think the angles have much to do with it, its honestly just that rambler is simply the better boat. Rambler is state of the art and I'm not saying that scallywag isn't it's just that scallywag is an older boat that hasn't really undergone any major modifications. The crew on rambler also has that boat pretty dialed in as they have been racing her hard for the past 5 years. The scallywags just started campaigning the 100 footers again as they were all caught up in the Volvo. Also how the fuck did the angles favor rambler. They probably favored her for half of the race bc they were vmg running the way back from the rock. If anything scallywag should've overtaken rambler on the way back from the rock considering scally was skinny little hips and rambler has to drag around that fat ass.

Yeah I agree with you 100%

On 8/10/2019 at 8:42 AM, pshachoy said:

Quoting what David Witt said re Rambler Newbie..! Other than that you are stating the obvious. Yes we know Rambler is the better boat, once again addressing what David Witt said after the race. His vision of why they aren't quicker than Rambler seems blurred. No surprise really..

1 hour ago, savoir said:

That keel is going to create all kinds of problems with docking.  Not too many docks are deeper than 20 ft.  Rambler was built and stored at NEB but can't get in there any more.  Too shallow.

i'd gladly take that problem to own and campaign that weapon!

Maybe you have your dates mixed up.  Rambler was at the shipyard earlier this year but a few years ago Rambler was at NEB.  It would have been 3 or 4 years ago.  Speedboat was kept there as well some years back.

My boat lives there so I should know what I saw.

2 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

+1 splashed at NEB then steamed to Shipyard (now Safe Harbour?) to put the keel on.

There's a reason all the VO70s and big boats are at Hinckley...

HW

Alright I think we can put this one to bed now..! Thank fuck............:D

2 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

+1 splashed at NEB then steamed to Shipyard (now Safe Harbour?) to put the keel on.

There's a reason all the VO70s and big boats are at Hinckley...

HW

Does that include the VO 70 that was at NEB for a few months this year ?  You guys are just making stuff up as you go.

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Chimp too said:

If replacing I would have expected someone would have heard something about the plan before the old one went up for sale

Wasn’t there a rumour/discussion that a new foiling 60ish footer being a possibility?

Or was that something I started? :)

1 hour ago, mad said:

Wasn’t there a rumour/discussion that a new foiling 60ish footer being a possibility?

Not sure but the reality is that for the first time in the history of sailing, bigger will not equal faster anymore.

More efficient will be faster (which can now be done by "other means" rather than just length...)

I could see this as a possibility, even if we just want to start anarchy-style rumors!

4 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Not sure but the reality is that for the first time in the history of sailing, bigger will not equal faster anymore.

More efficient will be faster (which can now be done by "other means" rather than just length...)

I could see this as a possibility, even if we just want to start anarchy-style rumors!

It’s on a thread somewhere.....probably this one, but I’m too lazy to search. 

9 hours ago, jackolantern said:

United Technologies just had a huge buyout from Raytheon so maybe he's feeling flush enough to step up one size?

Not exactly.....all stock merger and Otis and Carrier spun out as separate companies just prior......stock price is now coming back up but I don’t think he worries too much about that.

George is nudging 80. He has been a fantastic supporter of the sport and wonderful person. At his age he most likely has other plans in place? I would think age is dictating what he does going forward. Ocean Racing can be tough at that age