14th Most Dangerous Man In The World

A WIRED magazine writer made a gun

This was back in 2013, before this thread was started, but it's well written and kind of interesting. The author is obviously grabby and was pretty horrified by the process and result.

I found it interesting that he tried three methods of creating a gun and learned what many buyers of project boats have learned: 80% complete isn't really all that complete. OK, so the running joke is 85%, but close enough. His interaction with a drill press was a pretty funny read. The results were similar to what happens when I open Tom's Metal Shop, meaning mangled metal and blood coming out of me.

He did manage to assemble a working AR-15 using a Ghost Gunner machine and seemed to think these would soon become a yuge problem. 6 years later, people continue to buy assembled guns instead of making them for the most part.

It’s worth noting that buying an AR-15 in the US isn’t hard. But the privacy-minded—as well as those disqualified from gun purchases by criminal records or mental illness—can make their own lower receiver and purchase all of the other parts, which are subject to nearly zero regulation. I ordered every part of my AR-15 but the lower receiver from the website of Ares Armor, a Southern California gun seller that doesn’t require any personal information beyond a shipping address. If I wanted to hide my purchases from my credit card company, I could have paid in bitcoin—Ares accepts it.

There's even a way to anonymously buy that highly regulated lower receiver—almost. Like many gun vendors, Ares sells what's known as an "80 percent lower," a chunk of aluminum legally deemed to be 80 percent of the way toward becoming a functional lower receiver. Because it lacks a few holes and a single precisely shaped cavity called the trigger well, it's not technically a regulated gun part.

Machining the last 20 percent myself with a CNC mill or drill press would allow me to obtain a gun without a serial number, without a background check, and without a waiting period. I wouldn’t even have to show anyone ID. Law enforcement would be entirely ignorant of my ghost gun’s existence. And that kind of secrecy appeals to Americans who consider their relationship with their firearms a highly personal affair that the government should keep out of.

Heh. That last sentence is a pretty funny way of saying "Americans who do not wish to have their property banned and confiscated."

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're right, those carbon fiber printers are really disruptive at that price point, so are the titanium printers. But it would still be hard to make a gun barrel and action out of that, no? And then

Verbal onanist?

No, but I'd share it if I did and it would be constitutionally protected as well. I'm a recidivist that way. Years ago, I committed a felony violation of our munitions export laws by exporting a

Posted Images

NY's AG wants to make that kind of journalism illegal

SEPTEMBER 24 – New York Attorney General Letitia James today announced that she has told 16 different websites that make and sell firearms and gun parts (including 80-lower.com) to cease and desist selling “nearly complete assault weapons” to customers in New York State.

A letter released yesterday by the Office of the New York A.G. reads:

“Your website offers unfinished lower receivers that require simple milling in order to manufacture unregistered and unserialized assault weapons, despite the fact that such manufacture and possession are illegal in New York.”

Milling an 80% lower only results in the making of a stripped lower receiver. A stripped receiver is a firearm, but it is not an assault weapon. It contains no parts which would be defined as an assault weapon by any New York or federal law, either.

Regardless, the letter continues:

“Assault weapons are illegal in New York, and the sale and/or advertisement of these products violates New York law…. I hereby demand that you stop the sale and advertisement to residents of New York of unfinished lower receivers and firearms components that are intended for the assembly of assault weapons.”

I think she's just using the broader TeamD definition of "assault weapon," namely, "gun that TeamD wants to ban." That definition knows no reasonable bounds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If everything is true to form, I’ve missed nothing of any importance

You've chosen to ignore content by Hypercapnic Tom. Options 

You've chosen to ignore content by A guy in the Chesapeake. Options 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

If everything is true to form, I’ve missed nothing of any importance

You've chosen to ignore content by A guy in the Chesapeake. Options 

same...I'm done reading  banal blather every fucking morning

• 2 weeks later...

Biker Gang Leader's DIY Guns Are Part of a Predictable Prohibition Story

As a convicted felon, Bruce Sartwell isn't legally allowed to own firearms. But the regional president of the Outlaws Motorcycle Club obviously isn't the kind of guy who cares about what he's legally allowed to do; when he was arrested in East Bridgewater, Massachusetts, he was found to be in possession of a rifle he'd made himself, as well as unregistered "silencers" (sound suppressors), parts, and the equipment needed to manufacture boats.

OK so I might have edited the ending a bit.

On Oct. 30, 2019, a search warrant executed at Sartwell's residence resulted in the recovery of an AR-15 styled 'ghost gun' – a firearm without any manufacturing or serial numbers – and firearm manufacturing tools and assembly parts including milling equipment, buffer spring, buffer tube, air-powered water dremel polish and a drill press. Two firearm silencers concealed in false bottom compartments, a guide for assembly and disassembly of an AR-15 rifle, 20 knives, a black powder handgun, a flare gun, and various ammunition compatible with the AR-15 styled rifle were also found.

I'm not quite sure what "air-powered water dremel polish" means but it sounds naughty. Like a drill press, which sounds like it might be a sexual position.

The article goes on to talk about underground firearms manufacturing in Australia, Brazil, and Israel.

Sartwell was caught because, as a gang leader with a criminal record, he was on law enforcement radar and he received dozens of packages from China that raised officials' suspicions. Upon opening a shipment, agents found a sound suppressor—a simple device that pretty much anybody can make at home but that's highly regulated and a crime for a convicted felon to possess. They subsequently raided his house and discovered his gun-manufacturing operation.

Most Americans haven't attracted that kind of attention and are perhaps less inclined to order felony convictions to their home addresses via international mail. Many thousands of people already have the skills and equipment to do what Sartwell did, but quietly and unobserved.

If politicians follow through on promises to further restrict the legal manufacture of firearms, they'll find Americans more than ready to emulate the defiant efforts of people around the world—often criminals, but also regular people unwilling to be disarmed by their governments. Rather than reinforcing the rule of law, tighter restrictions will unleash an uncontrollable underground firearms industry.

This reminds me that I don't have a 3D printer. Yet.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Biker Gang Leader's DIY Guns Are Part of a Predictable Prohibition Story

OK so I might have edited the ending a bit.

I'm not quite sure what "air-powered water dremel polish" means but it sounds naughty. Like a drill press, which sounds like it might be a sexual position.

The article goes on to talk about underground firearms manufacturing in Australia, Brazil, and Israel.

This reminds me that I don't have a 3D printer. Yet.

He had a dremel tool.  GASP.  I'm going to jail if the cops ever dig through my tool closet.  Just THINK of what I COULD do with all that stuff!  I'm so screwed.

s-l1000.thumb.jpg.eda61b4d3fa00ed919b0cf99124e7af2.jpg

1 hour ago, cmilliken said:

He had a dremel tool.  GASP.  I'm going to jail if the cops ever dig through my tool closet.  Just THINK of what I COULD do with all that stuff!  I'm so screwed.

I bought the Dremel version of the Fein Multimaster. It didn't last long. Bought the Fein and like it a lot better. It's definitely not an "air-powered water dremel polish" so I guess it's OK. Working on a disguise for my drill press.

4 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I bought the Dremel version of the Fein Multimaster. It didn't last long. Bought the Fein and like it a lot better. It's definitely not an "air-powered water dremel polish" so I guess it's OK. Working on a disguise for my drill press.

It's not a drill press.. It's an end mill!   Oh wait, I meant high speed micro batter mixer for tiny pancakes.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:10 PM, dacapo said:

same...I'm done reading  banal blather every fucking morning

You do realize that clicking on threads that you already know are banal is your own fault.  Reading anyone’s posts is totally voluntary - likely Dabs quote.

Weird procedural ruling on censorship of 3D printing code

The federal government in 2013 told Defense Distributed—a company whose business involves the distribution of tools and software for the 3D-printing or otherwise home-milling of weapons—that certain software files it distributed constituted the illegal export of armaments under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Arms Control Export Act (AECA).

Seeing the files as analogous to a book containing instructions on how to make a gun, Defense Distributed, along with other parties, sued the State Department in 2015 on First Amendment grounds. The federal government settled that lawsuit in July 2018. As part of the settlement, the feds announced certain such software files, known generically as CAD files (for computer-aided design), would be removed from the United States Munitions List (USML). Items on that list require a license to export.

Within days of that announcement, various states and the District of Columbia sued the federal government for taking the files off the list, claiming that the removal was done "in violation of the Administrative Procedure Act [APA]." The plaintiffs claimed that "there is no indication in the settlement agreement or elsewhere that any analysis, study or determination was made by the government defendants in consultation with other agencies before the federal government agreed to lift export controls on the downloadable guns." The plaintiffs also said the decision "violates the Tenth Amendment by infringing on states' rights to regulate firearms."

This week, Judge Robert A. Lasnik of U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, in deciding on motions for summary judgment in that suit, State of Washington et al. v. U.S. Department of State et al., agreed that removing those files from the USML was unlawful based on the APA arguments (though not the 10th Amendment ones), and reversed the federal government's choice to allow free distribution of the files.

But he ruled on what Defense Distributed could do, not what the rest of us can do. I think I'll do what I did when I learned that exporting the encryption program PGP was a felony under our munitions laws years ago. Export it (again).

In practical terms, this has been meaningless to any actual interest of the states suing, unless that interest was just to bedevil Defense Distributed, as the files—like most things on the internet—can be and are widely distributed by anyone else who pleased besides Defense Distributed. They're just files, after all, and nothing on the internet is easier to share.

I'm "anyone else" after all. I wonder if The Ed should be held responsible for my actions if I post the code here?

Not 3D printing related, but in other home handyman news...

In 2013, the Colorado legislature passed House Bill 13-1224, which prohibits the "sale, transfer, or possession of an ammunition feeding device that is capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than [15] rounds of ammunition or more than [8] shotgun shells (large-capacity magazine)."

However, some gun dealers noticed that the bill made no mention of magazine components and capitalized on the omission. Dealers throughout the state began selling "parts kits" that contain everything a gun owner needs to assemble their own large-capacity magazine at home. In fact, some gun stores throughout the state now sell magazines only in parts kit form.

On the other hand, many local dealers have opted to exploit the loophole. "As soon as we remove the functionality of it and take this spring out, it's no longer a magazine," one salesman said pointing out how the terminology of the bill allows them to do this. "[A] monkey could put it back together again," a different salesman tells 9NEWS.

"I'm a little stunned about how open it is and how blatantly they're saying, 'You know, this is a stupid law, but this is the way you can get around it,'" state Sen. Rhonda Fields (D–Aurora), one of the bill's sponsors, told 9News. "The whole goal, when I ran the bill in 2013, was to limit that capacity."

Some stores aren't even making an attempt to comply with Colorado's flawed magazine ban. Two of the 10 stores 9NEWS visited operated "as though the ban did not exist."

"We're a sanctuary county, we don't give a f—. We just sell everything as is, preassembled," an employee at Family Firearms Sales, a gun store in Colorado Springs told 9NEWS.

So that's going about as well as Trump's bump stocka ban and New Jersey's magazine confiscation program.

Colorado's large-capacity magazine ban isn't the only example of gun regulation that has failed. For example, take President Donald Trump's attempt to ban bump stocks, a firearm accessory that essentially harnesses a gun's recoil to increase its rate of fire. After Trump issued an executive order requiring Americans to surrender their firearm accessories or risk being in violation of federal law, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives collected fewer than 1,000 bump stocks out of an estimated 280,000-500,000 in circulation. The overwhelming majority of bump stock owners decided to take their chances.

Similarly, when New Jersey imposed a 10-round limit on magazines in the state and mandated that any existing large-capacity magazines be surrendered last year, "approximately zero" of New Jersey's 1 million gun owners decided to turn them in, reported Reason's Jacob Sullum.

53 minutes ago, jocal505 said:
1 hour ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

The favored approach seems to be to attempt to censor the needed computer code. Which, of course, causes people like me to spread it even further around cyberspace than it was already spread, as mentioned in the 14th most dangerous person in the world thread.

If you and your elk want to be outlaws, so be it, but so much for your claims that your elk are squeaky clean types.

I'm not an outlaw and I don't work for Defense Distributed. At least, they don't pay me.

In practical terms, this has been meaningless to any actual interest of the states suing, unless that interest was just to bedevil Defense Distributed, as the files—like most things on the internet—can be and are widely distributed by anyone else who pleased besides Defense Distributed. They're just files, after all, and nothing on the internet is easier to share.

11 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I'm not an outlaw and I don't work for Defense Distributed. At least, they don't pay me.

Each boating accident creates an outlaw. By choice, you are the leader of these outlaws, you are their coach, their voice, and their guide. 

On 11/12/2019 at 5:41 AM, cmilliken said:

s-l1000.thumb.jpg.eda61b4d3fa00ed919b0cf99124e7af2.jpg

I will readily admit that a Dremel in my hand is much more dangerous, at least to me, than any gun I've ever owned.  

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

States Sue Over Trump Admin Rules That Could Weaken Oversight of 3D-Printed Gun Blueprints Distribution

I decided to check and see if these heavily regulated 3D gun printing files could still be easily found. They can.

Sharing files is still one of the easiest things to do, and one of the hardest things to prohibit, on the internet.

A coalition of states is suing the Trump administration over new regulations that they say could allow for the online release of blueprints for 3D-printed firearms, which make it easier for anyone to access the files at home and make a functional plastic gun with a 3D printer.

You mean what is already quite easy could become quite easy? PANIC!!!

The state officials are concerned about these 3D-printed weapons because they lack serial numbers, making them untraceable by authorities. They are also often made of plastic, meaning that they may not set off metal detectors at airports. They are also easy and cheap to make. Moreover, they could render current gun regulations unenforceable because people who are normally restricted from obtaining a gun could avoid background checks and other regulatory procedures. 

The first sentence there is true, but it quickly goes downhill from there. They're not "often" made of plastic. They "often" have metal parts that will set off a metal detector. They're neither cheap nor easy to make, at least compared to buying a cheap handgun that is a lot more accurate and reliable and less dangerous to fire. But to the extent that you can, for a bunch of money, make a crappy gun that won't last long, it's false to say they "could" render gun control unenforceable. They already DID render them unenforceable. That's why I started out by mentioning that I decided to check and see if these heavily regulated 3D gun printing files could still be easily found. They can.

Delaware Trying To Ban Gun Making

Delaware is in the process of passing a statute to make it illegal to make your own firearms or to even possess a piece of metal that is intended to be used to make a receiver. From the proposed statute, HB 277:

The law, if passed, will be challenged in court, on both First and Second Amendment grounds. The law applies to people without any criminal record. People with felonies are already forbidden from owning firearms. This law is to prevent people who are not criminals from making their own firearms.

It is a very new law to forbid law-abiding individuals from making firearms for their own use. Such a law has only been passed in the last two years, to my knowledge.

It is a direct violation of the First Amendment to forbid the transmission of knowledge on how to make firearms with digital code.

If Delaware passes this law, it will be following the steps of California (requires state serial number and following state manufacturing requirements), New Jersey (flat out ban), New York (firearm parts may only be sold to authorized buyers),  Washington (bans “undetectable” guns), Connecticut (requires a state-issued serial number). These five states, and Delaware, if it passes the law, are all treading new ground with laws passed in the last two years.

The Washington state law may not be precisely in this group, as the law bans “undetectable guns”. Almost all homemade guns are easily detectable.

I have yet to see any court challenge to these laws. There was a court challenge on the legal ability to make your own machine guns, in Arizona, in the 1990s. The Ninth Circuit upheld that right, and the Supreme Court refused to hear the case. However, the case was complicated by other factors, and the Supreme Court had not yet decided Heller.

That bolded part is flat wrong about what happened in the 9th Circuit.

In US v Stewart, Mr. Stewart was charged with making his own machine guns for personal use. The Supreme Court held the petition in that case until they decided Gonzalez v Raich, in which Ms. Raich was charged with growing her own cannabis for personal use. Having determined that Raich was affecting interstate commerce, the Supreme Court sent the Stewart case back to the 9th Circuit with a nice note saying they should reconsider the case in light of the Raich result. This resulted in the most sarcastic compliance ever from Judge Kozinsky, and the 9th held that making your own machine gun for personal use is a federal matter that affects interstate commerce. You know, like a cute toad.

Anyway, he's right about the rest of it but the "complicating factor" here is that the author is TeamR and so wears drug war blinders.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:46 AM, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

You mean what is already quite easy could become quite easy? PANIC!!!

The left hand is complaining about panic, a lot, as the right hand creates it.

• The word "gun grabby" is used to induce fear around here. Quite a bit.
  • The word "confiscation" is tossed in to unrelated conversations, to inflame.
  • A specific fear echoes hereabouts, the fear that ordinary dogballs are goners. 
  • Your induction of racially based fear, always connected to violent toolz, is a fucking body of work, I find. WTF, dude.

You got the dedication factor, in spades, I'll give you that. But as sure as dogballs, based on the layers of your behavior, there's no way I can trust your insights, on any matter. But if you insist on being this way, then take a better look at a master, go study Roger Stone. 

• 3 months later...

Ghost Gun PANIC!!!

Currently, ATF says a ghost gun not a gun.  

But the ATF has changed its thinking on similar issues recently. After the 2017 massacre in Las Vegas, the ATF and the Department of Justice banned bump stocks, an accessory that turned semi-automatic weapons into machine guns.

Former acting director of the ATF, Thomas Brandon, helped implement that change and was ready to recommend to his bosses at the Department of Justice that they reclassify certain ghost gun kits, like the one we ordered, as firearms because of how easy they are to put together.

Bill Whitaker: You were alarmed at what you were seeing?

Thomas Brandon: Yeah. And so I said, "Well, right now we have a public safety concern."

Bill Whitaker: You thought that the ATF should reclassify these kits as firearms? 

Thomas Brandon: Yes as the head of the agency at the time-- I said, "I'm gonna do everything I can for public safety with my team." If you wanted to buy a kit and make your own gun, it's just gonna hav-- have a serial number on it.

Hmmm... stirring up some fear to justify another power grab. Again.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Last month Defense Distributed and the SAF got a favorable 5th Circuit ruling in their suit against New Jersey AG Grewal

Plaintiffs filed suit challenging the efforts of New Jersey's Attorney General and others to thwart plaintiffs' distribution of materials related to the 3D printing of firearms, alleging infringement of plaintiffs' First Amendment rights and state law claims. The district court granted the Attorney General's motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction, relying on Stroman Realty, Inc. v. Wercinski, 513 F.3d 476 (5th Cir. 2008).

The Fifth Circuit held that the Attorney General has established sufficient minimum contacts with Texas to subject him to the jurisdiction of Texas' courts. The court held that Stroman is distinguishable from this case in at least two key respects: first, many of plaintiffs' claims are based on the Attorney General's cease-and-desist letter; and second, the Attorney General's assertion of legal authority is much broader than the public official in Stroman. Furthermore, the Attorney General failed to timely raise arguments regarding whether judgment in plaintiffs favor would offend traditional notions of fair play and substantial justice. The court applied the principles discussed in Wien Air Alaska, Inc. v. Brandt, 195 F.3d 208 (5th Cir. 1999), and Calder v. Jones, 465 U.S. 783, 104 S. Ct. 1482 (1984), and held that jurisdiction over the Attorney General is proper. Accordingly, the court reversed and remanded for further proceedings.

One reason given in the opinion was that Grewal's actions were solely directed at DD and not at, well, people like me (see post 205).

• 5 months later...

And now New Jersey is asking the Supreme Court to reverse the 5th Circuit decision...

Grewal v. Defense Distributed

Issue: Whether a nonresident state official subjects itself to personal jurisdiction in another forum state when it sends a single cease-and-desist letter to a single resident in that state.

• 2 weeks later...

'Ghost Gun' Bans Are Doomed from the Start

Presumably, then, the Biden administration is considering regulating the partial kits that are sold for people to finish and assemble into working firearms. So-called "80 percent receivers" would then be treated as complete firearms—if you could successfully define something that can, with work, be turned into a finished product without also banning materials used in other ways. While we don't know the administration's plan, a bill working its way through the Virginia General Assembly specifies, "'Unfinished frame or receiver' means a piece of any material that does not constitute the frame or receiver of a firearm, rifle, or shotgun but that has been shaped or formed in any way for the purpose of becoming the frame or receiver of a firearm, rifle, or shotgun, and which may readily be made into a functional frame or receiver through milling, drilling, or other means."

That might successfully target products explicitly marketed as 80 percent receivers, but those are conveniences for use with a jig and a few tools, as then-Reason producer Mark McDaniel detailed in 2018. Going beyond such products threatens to imperil whole aisles at home improvement outlets if the language is rigidly enforced.

"It's hard to imagine stopping it, short of banning 3D printers or metal pipes," Slate's Ari Schneider observed recently of the FGC-9, a semiautomatic weapon that's the latest brainstorm of DIY gun enthusiasts. "Most of the gun is 3D-printed, while the rest includes inconspicuous parts available at hardware stores," he noted.

As good a reason as any to stock up on tools next time I'm at Home Despot.

• 2 months later...

On 4/24/2021 at 8:17 PM, Burning Man said:

Ghost guns are basically receivers that have been unfinished. Essentially all you need to do is drill the holes for the various internal pieces to fit and then add the internal parts in the gun is complete. The part that is registered with the authorities is the receiver in most cases. So there is a loophole where if the receiver is unfinished, it doesn’t need to be registered. Ghost guns are basically receivers that have been unfinished. Essentially all you need to do is drill the holes for the various internal pieces to fit and then add the internal parts in the gun is complete. The part that is registered with the authorities is the receiver in most cases. So there is a loophole where if the receiver is unfinished, it doesn’t need to be registered.

Biden's Plan to Stop Ghost Guns Is Doomed To Fail

and here's a preview of how that will happen:

Defense Distributed has been fighting off federal and state legal challenges since its founding in 2012. Biden's requested rule change is the latest front in that legal battle. The president was vague on the details, but he has asked the DOJ to issue a new rule on ghost guns within 30 days. 

Wilson anticipates that the proposed regulation will classify more gun parts, such as the unfinished lower receiver that the Ghost Gunner modifies, as firearms that would each require registration numbers branded on them.

That was the rule change proposed by the nonprofit gun control advocacy organization Everytown for Gun Safety, which was founded by former New York City mayor and philanthropist Michael Bloomberg.

Wilson believes the rule change could drive up demand for DIY guns. 

"If it's actually more difficult to buy an [AR-15] upper receiver…because it's serialized and now I gotta go through the background check and everything, I'm now going to consider for the first time making an [AR-15] upper receiver," says Wilson. 

Gunmaking CAD Files Free To Spread Around the Internet, 9th Circuit Rules

In a case that was already moot in the colloquial sense of the term if not the legal one, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decided yesterday that an attempt by various states to stop the federal government from not restricting certain computer files can go no further. So for now, CAD files that can help instruct certain devices to make weapons at home can be legally spread into the public domain.

The history of the issues behind the case, State of Washington et al. v. State Department, is long and convoluted and embedded in arcane arguments about proper administrative procedure. What triggered the states to want to interfere in federal decisions was the result of a resolution in 2018 of a lawsuit from Defense Distributed, a company dedicated to the spread of gun-making software, founded by 3D weapon entrepreneur and provocateur Cody Wilson. In settling a case challenging their restrictions on such files, the government agreed to remove them from the control of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

The states pretended they were fighting for public safety against the threat of computer-assisted homemade gun making. But their efforts were, at their core, an attempt to make the government continue constitutionally questionable policies restricting the free spread of information in the form of certain computer files, even though that information is obviously free to be spread through other means. For example, gun-making instructions in a book would obviously be legally protected expression.

I'm not so sure about that last part. Reminds me of a t-shirt my brother had that had the code for PGP on it, along with the message "this shirt is a munition."

The 9th Circuit panel decision this week, written by Judge Ryan D. Nelson, is not based on any of the important First Amendment questions implicated in earlier cases about the same overall issue—government power to prevent the spread of information under the guise of munitions control—but on the simple legal fact that the laws regarding these particular munition controls just don't allow for judicial rethinking of the agencies' decisions.

The states were trying to argue that only adding items to the prohibited list is judicially unreviewable, while taking items off it, at issue here, should be reviewable. The 9th Circuit panel disagreed. In other words, the lower court erred in allowing the states to successfully challenge the new rules that allow, rightly, for the free spread of these files. It's worth remembering it was never about U.S. citizens having access to them, but the alleged threat of exporting the files to overseas persons, as that was, by prior ITAR theory, the equivalent of overseas arms proliferation.

No, bullshitters, unreviewable does not mean "unless it's a review we want."

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

'Ghost guns' banned by Los Angeles City Council

On Monday, Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Alex Padilla, both D-California, sent a letter to Council President Nury Martinez expressing their support of the ordinance.

"This ordinance is an important effort to help keep unserialized and untraceable firearms, known as `ghost guns,' off our streets. Similar initiatives have already been implemented in San Diego and San Francisco, and we commend the Los Angeles City Council for considering a similar measure," the letter stated.

Putting a serial number on and registering them is already required by state law.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nevada Court Finds Ghost Gun Law Unconstitutionally Vague

AB 286 attempted to ban the possession, sale, or transport of an “unfinished frame or receiver” as defined in the bill. As anyone with ordinary intelligence can determine, the definition of something which is unfinished is problematic. When does a process start? At what point does it become “unfinished”?  Does it start with molten metal, the combination of chemicals in a mold, or the first cut of a saw or turn of a drill?

Here is the definition of “Unfinished frame or receiver” as stated in AB 286:  

9.“Unfinished frame or receiver” means a blank, a casting or a machined body that is intended to be turned into the frame or lower receiver of a firearm with additional machining and which has been formed or machined to the point at which most of the major machining operations have been completed to turn the blank, casting or machined body into a frame or lower receiver of a firearm even if the fire-control cavity area of the blank, casting or machined body is still completely solid and unmachined.

Both parties agreed to the basic facts in the case.

On December 10, 2021, the Third Judicial District Court of the State of Nevada, issued Summary Judgement in favor of Polymer80, striking down the law as unconstitutionally vague. From the opinion:

The definition does not tell anyone when during the manufacturing process a blank, casting, or machined body (whatever those terms mean) has gone through the “major machining operations” (whatever those are) to turn that  blank, casting or machined body into a frame or lower receiver of a firearm (whatever that may be), a person of ordinary intelligence could not proscribe their conduct to comply with the law. As a result, this Court finds that the text of AB 286 does not provide fair notice of whatever it criminalizes. To this end, this Court asked on multiple occasions during oral argument on the Motion for Summary Judgement, what those terms as used in AB 286 mean. Tellingly, the Defendants could not in any manner explain their meaning(s).

This has always been the difficulty with regulating partially made items. Where do you start, and where do you stop?

Confused judges are funny.

Cody Wilson is not as confused as the judge above. His answer:

How about a block of aluminum?

The newest version of the Ghost Gunner, a milling machine that's roughly the size of home printers, will now be able to "take raw materials…in their primordial state…and turn them into guns," Wilson tells Reason. Blocks of aluminum will not be subject to the new regulation.

Wilson says that Defense Distributed is the only DIY gun company pivoting in the face of the upcoming rule, so its real impact will be to drive his competitors off the market. Biden is "giving us, the nation's premier ghost gun company, a monopoly of the market," Wilson says.

"There's a world of things that are not gun parts. We will give you the technology to turn these things into guns and gun parts," says Wilson.

• 2 months later...

ATF's New 'Ghost Gun' Rules Are as Clear as Mud

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' (ATF) finalized "ghost gun" rule surprised Cody Wilson, the head of Ghost Gunner. His company manufactures CNC mills that turn unfinished firearm receivers into products that can be included in completed firearms that have no serial numbers and are, hence, called "ghosts." He'd anticipated a more-or-less explicit ban on so-called "80 percent receivers" which would leave his Ghost Gunner 3 that can turn a raw block of metal into an AR-15 receiver as the simplest remaining solution. Instead, by his reading, the new rules consumed a lot of pages to go after the most basic end of the DIY market.

Well, maybe. Other industry experts aren't sure what the rules mean. That uncertainty poses huge challenges for manufacturers, vendors, and anybody trying to establish what is and isn't legal.

Everyone seems sure of one thing: here come the lawsuits.