• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could sell mine and get another. That has always been my fleet building plan.  Send me a text or email and we can discuss condition, associated goodies, and price. 

Aero Sailing Week happening now in Jensen Beach, FL. 28 Aeros were registered but some have dropped out due to COVID concerns. This pas weekend was Aero Florida State Champs and this upcomin

I have lost count but I have sailed the boat almost every day but Wednesday and missed only a couple evenings.  Maybe the number of two to three hour rides is ten i finally found some lightw

Posted Images

The first three boats in the Boston RS Aero fleet are landing in the US this weekend - along with 7 other Aeros for east coast customers, I hear. It's a small start but, like the Seattle guys, we are hoping to trigger some more orders when they see us out racing.

Very cool. Great to have boat arriving out east.

Start thinking about coming out to the first Aero North Americans in the Gorge July 24, 25 this year. Yes, this year!

There will be a day of coaching with Peter Barton from the UK and a Velocitek speed challenge on Friday 23rd before the racing on Saturday. This will be a great opportunity to help each other learn how to effectively sail an Aero in a really cool place.

So start thinking about how you can stack 3-4 Aeros one inside the other on one trailer.

More details soon. NOR and registration will be up soon.

Great stuff! An unbiased view and the blog/photos provide a much better idea of what the Aero is all about. Well done!

Yes, you are right. Perhaps I was on Australian time!

Peter is right:

Fri 24th - RS Aero Clinic & Velocitek Speed Challenge

Sat 25th & Sun 26th - first RS Aero North Americans

Michael

The first three boats in the Boston RS Aero fleet are landing in the US this weekend - along with 7 other Aeros for east coast customers, I hear. It's a small start but, like the Seattle guys, we are hoping to trigger some more orders when they see us out racing.

Where is the Boston RS fleet forming, which YC?

The Boston RS Aero fleet will be based at Massapoag YC in Sharon MA (south of the city of Boston.)

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in any comments, preferably actual experiences regarding sailing to a direct downwind location, across the wind range. For VMG in a given wind conditions (if you feel it matters), is the boat responding best to approx. dead downwind / weaving, on the lee (gybing downwind), or broad reach 'skiff style" , gybing downwind?

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

That's my question as well. Even in 15 knots, the angles seem too high to justify the extra distance sailed. Unfortunately, I haven't had many boats to sail against to really figure it out. I'm pretty sure sailing directly for a down wind mark is going to win in almost all conditions. It might work in strong wind, especially if there's waves.

Jim

Bearing in mind all the disadvantages of an unstayed rig it would be odd to put one on a boat that wasn't intended to run by the lee downwind. No boat is fast absolutely dead square downwind, but on slower boats the angle to sail is usually pretty subtle. Its an odd thing, but most sailors think they're on a dead run when they're actually several degrees off. I'm still trying to work out why the windex on my IC appears to point dead fore and aft when I know the boat isn't at 180 to the true wind...The question to ask yourself is whether there's a better gybe or a worse gybe to be on with your current heading. Only if you can throw the boom across and be just as hapy as you were before are you on a dead square run...Of course the thing to do is take the shifts so you sail very close to a straight line but at a better angle...

Okay, downwind. How does the Aero sail downwind. Big topic.

When sub planing, the Aero goes quite well by the lee. Similar to a laser, perhaps less heeled. It also S turns. Perhaps not as easily as a Laser, but definitely worthwhile. You need to go low, until speed drops. Then heat up. We measured speed the other day in 8-10 knots. DDW was 3.2 knots of speed. Deep by the lee was 4.2. When a guest came through and we heated up on a broad reach, speed jumped to 5.2. So the angles may be a bit bigger than the laser.

I've been trimming the main using the two aft mainsheet lines for a direct-to-the-boom trimming technique. Doug Stumberger started this and it works very well. Pumps are very positive.

When planing becomes possible, you definitely want to heat it up on a broad reach or deeper by the lee to get on a plane. Compared to a Laser, the jump in speed from non-planing to planing seems much greater. You must plane if possible.

So the techniques you learned in a Laser are still relevant. But the transition points are different.

I picked up my new Aero Friday and raced with the Seattle crew on Saturday in 4-8 kts. I was the sole 7 sail (185 lbs), against their 9 sails and it seemed that once the wind got to 8 kts I would not lose much ground upwind or downwind, but once it dropped to 5 kts I found myself in another zip code downwind. I was experimenting with everything downwind and some of the best speed I found was deep by the lee. My guess is that how you sail this boat downwind is going to change based on conditions. The boat is so light and planes so easily that will determine how you sail it downwind, i.e most direct planing course. The only thing I struggled with was finding a comfortable body position downwind. The Laser body positioning doesn't work. Time in the boat will solve that problem.

I'm very excited about the boat after 25 years of Lasers. The Aero is well laid out, good construction, responsive and comfortable/fun to sail. Hiking is ergonomically correct and the mainsheet layout makes gybing effortless. You can easily pump the main by grabbing the aft portion of the tackle. The boat accelerates quickly and seemed to cut through chop rather than pound through it. The sail shape is very tunable and the hoistable sail is a welcome change for rigging/de-rigging.

My only complaint is the crappy bottom cover RS offers and the line supplied for the halyard. The foil, spar and top covers are heavy duty and high quality but the bottom cover is a light weight 'afterthought'. I chose to pass on the bottom cover and will have something made for car topping. The halyard is formed by tying the 3' of cleatable 3/16" to a small tracer line. That knot doesn't pass well through the eye at the top of the mast, even after taping. RS should supply a tapered line as they do with the cunningham tail. But that is easy enough for me to replace.

Oh, and the carbon fiber apparently used somewhere in the hull near the mast step and above the cab of my truck degrades my satellite radio signal! But I can live with that.

Looking forward to getting this 7 sail out in more wind and the gorge in July.

Leadminer,

Any plans for some racing in S.Calif? Was there much interest from the demo? A lot of people were asking about my boat in the parking lot.

Doug

the bottom cover is a light weight 'afterthought'.

That's conventional in the UK, the bottom cover is primarily a dust, dirt and mud barrier when trailing the boat, and so the lighter and flimsier it is then the easier it is to put on and take off with the boat on a trailer. Its also good for it *not* to trap water if the boat lives right way up on a trailer.

That would make more sense to the US people if the price for the thin bottom cover cost similarly to what it does in the UK. It seems that by some magic all accessories (including, painfully enough the extra rigs) are price at a dollar / pound exchange rate of 1 pound to 2 USD, vs. the current 1.55. The bottom cover with a current exchange rate should cost closer to $168, which would be easier to take (and a 9 rig, by the same logic should cost $1147).

I guess they just set the pricing to make Laser accessories seem more affordable, LOL.

Aero News Flash: Michael O'Brien (1250) wins FIRST North American RS Aero Regatta!

The first North American RS Aero regatta was held over the weekend as part of the Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle's POD (Pacific northwest One Design) Regatta. Conditions at Shilshole Bay on Saturday were cloudy but dry, wind South 8-10 knots easing to 5 kn by the final race in mid afternoon. An eleven foot flood tide meant significant current up course. The wind failed to show up on Sunday.

Five Aeros competed and five races were completed. Four Seattle sailors raced: Todd Willsie (1127 -- Seattle's first Aero), Michael O'Brien (1250), Eric Becker (1251), and Doug Stumberger (1249). In addition, Doug DuBois from Utah raced 1242, having taken delivery of his boat from West Coast Sailing in Portland the day before the regatta started!

The regatta provided an excellent opportunity to start getting these awesome boats dialed in upwind and down, with a lot of discussion between races and in the parking lot about mainsheet tension, leech telltales, downwind steering, etc. All five of the boats showed moments of excellent speed, but O'Brien (2014 Laser Radial Master's North American Champion) seemed to have an extra "gear" upwind and down, winning four of the five races -- his perfect scorecard missed only when Stumberger took a flyer to the breakwater for current relief in race three. Willsie showed especially good speed upwind, finishing in second overall, with Stumberger rounding out the top three.

Final results:
1) Michael O'Brien 1250
2) Todd Willsie 1127
3) Doug Stumberger 1249
4) Eric Becker 1251
5) Doug DuBois 1242

Overall, it was a fun, excellent regatta to get the Aero racing in the Pacific Northwest (and North America!) off the ground. Next big regatta is the North American championship to be held at the Gorge in July -- hope to see you all there, see http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/10352 for more information!

DWD - Doug,

Santa Barbara Aero demo day, plenty of oogling from the massive crowd on hand for Skiff Fest.

Consistent remarks from everyone, refreshing acceleration, responsive through the chop, and even a bit of surfing as the breeze built later afternoon.

A bit more breeze would have been sweet, but enjoyable light air sailing.

Santa Barbara has always been a lead player in adopting new designs, with 29er's early on, and more recently SBSSA's successful introduction of Fevas to retain their early teens.

Confirmed three of the four SB Aeros are heading to Nationals at the Gorge.

They all have 7 rigs, and a couple also ordered a pair of 5's so the kids can get in on the fun.

Local racing in the works, expect will have 7 or 8 boats on the line by end of June!

post-35406-0-18029800-1432136866_thumb.jpg

post-35406-0-68530000-1432136951_thumb.jpg

post-35406-0-34959600-1432137173_thumb.jpg

It seems that by some magic all accessories (including, painfully enough the extra rigs) are price at a dollar / pound exchange rate of 1 pound to 2 USD, vs. the current 1.55.

FX:sniggering sounds heard from the UK...

by some similar magic almost anything produced in the US comes into the UK at an exchange rate of 1 dollar = 1 pound.

Heh - touche. That's fair. My 2 USD to 1 GBP also assumes that the UK price list is ex VAT. Otherwise it is worse yet. Though in fairness that is for the accessories. The boat price itself is more reasonable, no issue with that. And - with the only competition being the Laser (US has no good boats, and D-zero is on an "import it yourself if you want one" basis, and Melges 14 - I'll believe it when I see it)... we deserve the higher prices, I guess.

The exchange rate has an impact on RS pricing, but it's not at all to the extent that is being inferred here.

RS typically adjusts prices twice a year (ie every 6 months). So, the Aero currently has a fixed price of $7,490 for a complete boat.

That might change in the future, but I highly doubt it, as there is negative publicity from a rising price on a new class (see RS 100!).

They have learned their lesson there.

--

Nicely configured Aero with cover and spar bag and blade bags will add up to around $8k.

(there is a promotion now for the first couple hundred Aeros sold in the US for free cover and spar bag).

It's a bit more than a Laser, probably 10% at the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone in Texas purchased an Aero? If so, where did you get it? I'm having difficulty getting the local distributor, in Seabrook Texas, to answer questions about availability.

Believe there are Aeros already landed near Chicago, but, not sure how many customers have gotten boats yet.

DTA - you can shoot me an email if you wish and I can make sure you're getting good info. Supply is catching up at this time, so you should be able to have boats this summer anywhere in North America.

11 more arriving here tomorrow.

10 more after that end of month.

WestCoast - Yes, what's your email address? I've ordered lots of (shippable) stuff from you guys (laser hand dolly, sails, masts, rigging line, etc.), and have been pleased w/ your service. If ordering an RS Aero from you guys were a practical possibility (I imagine the shipping cost is prohibitively expensive), I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I imagine that the only practical alternative is to use my "local" distributor for this purpose (a 3.5 hour drive away). Especially since I'd need to purchase an appropriate trailer as well (i.e. trailer fitting under the gunnels). I have an old crap trailer I use for my old/beat-up Laser, but I wouldn't want to use that w/ my new Aero.

WestCoast - Yes, what's your email address? I've ordered lots of (shippable) stuff from you guys (laser hand dolly, sails, masts, rigging line, etc.), and have been pleased w/ your service. If ordering an RS Aero from you guys were a practical possibility (I imagine the shipping cost is prohibitively expensive), I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I imagine that the only practical alternative is to use my "local" distributor for this purpose (a 3.5 hour drive away). Especially since I'd need to purchase an appropriate trailer as well (i.e. trailer fitting under the gunnels). I have an old crap trailer I use for my old/beat-up Laser, but I wouldn't want to use that w/ my new Aero.

DTA - PM sent with our details (and thanks for the kind words).

We won't take a sale from other dealer territories, but, we all occasionally work together to get customers boats if logistics demand it.

Shipping Aeros around is fairly easy. They *almost* fit on the Kitty Hawk Laser trailer, a couple of our customers just do that, but I don't recommend it.

You can also get the custom RS "Trolley" from your dealer. That is a gunwhale supported dolly custom made for the Aero.

Load that on to a flatbed or road base and you are set!

Shoot me a note and I'll dig into where things are in Texas with Aeros.

So, I'm going to buy an RS Aero soon. The only thing holding me back is I'm trying to figure out the right trailer to use. I know many people car-top, but for a variety of reasons that isn't an option for me (e.g. none of my friends or family sail, and there are no other sailors where I sail most often, so I have to load/unload on my own w/ no help). So, gotta have a trailer.

Looks like there's nothing specific for the Aero yet. And I've heard from someone knowledgeable that you don't necessarily need the boat supported in the gunwales while trailering. So, I'm thinking of just getting a basic jet-ski type trailer. Would that work?

Unfortunately, I will have to drive 4+ hours to pick the Aero up from the dealer, so I don't have the luxury of getting the boat first and getting a trailer later. I'll need to correctly make a "blind" pick.

Ask the dealer what trailers/bases the trolley will fit on.

Over in the UK most launching trollies/dollies will fit on a '220', '250' or '275' road base (or one that can be adjusted between the 3 measurements).

You might also want to consider roof racking it to get it home.

Dex, I don't know how many dealers there are now, I think around 20.

There are 6 primary distributors (that import containers direct from RS in the UK), then there are dealers underneath them.

I don't believe there is a dealer in NC, but there are distributors north of you and south (CT and FL respectively).

--

DTA - What jeffers here is referring to is the UK style of dolly/trailer (trolley/road base they call it).

It uses the RS specific Aero dolly, that mounts to an RS specific road base (Mersea Road Bases)

We import these trailers as needed, but have to change the lights and front coupler, so it's a bit of a chore.

If you want a rock solid system for trailering the Aero, that is your best bet. KO can order that for you.

Otherwise, we haven't isolated the very best trailer made in the US yet for Aeros.

As a workaround, do you guys in the U.S. have small car trailers- maybe for low level motor racing and towing behind trucks/motor homes etc. if so, wheel an Aero on the dolly onto one, lash it down, job done.... Might find one cheap on Craigslist or through a local Motorsport club?

As a workaround, do you guys in the U.S. have small car trailers- maybe for low level motor racing and towing behind trucks/motor homes etc. if so, wheel an Aero on the dolly onto one, lash it down, job done.... Might find one cheap on Craigslist or through a local Motorsport club?

Rent a uhaul open deck trailer and get aero home with dolly on that trailer. Then sort out road base later at home.

Converted powerboat trailer from craigslist or something.

that mounts to an RS specific road base (Mersea Road Bases)

In case you guys are wondering, the road bases have to have those ****wit stupid extensions with the lights on due to dumb EU legislation that says lights have to be permanently attached to the trailer, not on a lightboard attached to the boat.

that mounts to an RS specific road base (Mersea Road Bases)

In case you guys are wondering, the road bases have to have those ****wit stupid extensions with the lights on due to dumb EU legislation that says lights have to be permanently attached to the trailer, not on a lightboard attached to the boat.

I really like the extensions. In particular they make the towing trailer without a boat much easier. Which, given my club doesn't like trailers stored on site, is necessary.

50/50 in the UK between car-topping and buying the RS-supplied road base, I'm told.

Hello everyone!

I apologize for being late to the party, George from WCS has been doing such a fanstastic job!

A few months ago RS Sailing hired me as a direct employee here in the U.S. to help support the North American dealers and customers. This is yet another testament to how dedicated these guys are to the NA scene. I went over there for the Dinghy Show, I was completely blown away by how amazing this company is and how dedicated they are to dinghy sailing.

Now to answer a couple questions:

Chicago: Yes, demos available, please contact our Midwest Distributor in Rockford, IL Wes@CentralCoastSailing.com or visit www.CentralCoastSailing.com

Texas: KO Sailing is dedicated to the RS brand just as all of their other brands, they are extremely swamped at the moment (as all of our dealers are), if you don't get an answer from them or any of our distributors please contact me so I can work with them to get you the answer you are looking for.

Trailering: We do reccomend the boat is supported by the gunwales or put upside down on bars. Personally, I would build a rectangular wooden storage box with 2 x 4"s on top, on a small trailer, and put the boat upside down on there. An aluminum Dynamic Rack would also work well if you plan to move more than one.

I will do my best to respond to questions on here, also feel free to email me.

Regards,

Todd Riccardi

Todd@RSsailing.com

In the Mid-Alantic / NC... we have a dealer in Hilton Head http://www.marinetechhhi.com/, Jeff is the contact there, but he is not currently stocking the Aero.

Clay Johnson at Colie Sails in Point Pleasant tried out the Aero last week and absolutely loved it.

He will likely be getting one in stock soon, while it's not quite North Carolina, it's a reasonable drive.

How about a request to US trailer manufacturers to design and build a trailer for the Aero?

Trailex?

The kitty hawk trailer *almost* works on the Aero, so we've talked to some shops about a modification kit.

I'm going to order one of the trailex Laser trailers and play with it a bit for an Aero as well.

Agree with everyone, having one trailer, US spec for over here, easily shippable, would be ideal for all Aero owners around the country.

I can't speak for Aero, but for my other boats I use a Trailex "base" with few attachments, and set the boat dolly on top complete with boat - with several pieces of shaped wood to buffer the dolly to the trailer such that it cannot slip. The dolly is lashed to the trailer, and then the boat bow is lashed to the front of the dolly (which also secures the boat from moving backwards on the dolly - it usually locks in place, don't know about Aero). Then a tiedown over the boat to the trailer/dolly and it works pretty well. If the dolly supports the gunwales - all the better.

This said, I'm not trailering thousands of miles, but IMHO the webbing allows the boat to swing an inch or so to either side, and the dolly has some flex to it, absorbing minor shocks. DON'T lash the hull too tightly though or you will simply crush your boat. I was always tempted (but never did) to not attach the tie down to the trailer on one side, but rather to two thicknesses of the 3/16 inch solid elastomer - providing consistent tension and some idiot proofing.

How about a request to US trailer manufacturers to design and build a trailer for the Aero?

Trailex?

The kitty hawk trailer *almost* works on the Aero, so we've talked to some shops about a modification kit.

I'm going to order one of the trailex Laser trailers and play with it a bit for an Aero as well.

Agree with everyone, having one trailer, US spec for over here, easily shippable, would be ideal for all Aero owners around the country.

It would be great if RS Sailing and/or one of the RS Sailing dealers would come up with a modification to either the Trailex or Kittihawk that would fit the RS Aero. I know a lot of us early Aero owners also own Lasers (and plan to keep on racing Lasers too.) I currently have a Trailex but it's getting old (like me) so I plan to buy a new trailer soon. But I only want to own one trailer. So a Kittihawk or a Trailex that I could use for either the Aero or the Laser (with a simple removable modification) would suit me perfectly.

I've created an adaption for the Aero on a Kitty Hawk that works well for me. I'll post some pictures to my blog soon.

Basically, it is a strap over the normal side gunwale supports. The boat rests on that strap. Then there is a bow strut the anchors the bow onto the Kitty Hawk laser bow piece.

The nice part, is I can launch from our dock directly from the Kitty Hawk. No dolly needed.

Took the first kiwi Aero on her maiden voyage on Lake Pupuke yesterday, nice little breeze for the 9m, gusty as usual; nice nimble skiff, enjoyed a good sail, took her through her paces ; gybing proofed a tipping sport but righting her is very easy as it's all so light.

Picks up speed very well and very well laid out. Thank you The Watershed in Barry's Point rd,Takapuna.

Has anyone in the Toronto area received delivery of an RS Aero. If so, when and how are you enjoying it?

was just about to ask the same question - anyone local got theirs yet? Am very interested in getting one, myself.

Any of you Canadians coming down for Aero North Americans mid July?

We've got U.K., couple east coasters, Utah, SoCal, Portland, Seattle and hopefully a few from Hawaii flying in.

If you haven't been to the gorge, you should join us.

RS is flying out their NA sales rep to to help run races, do some filming, prizes, etc.

RS Sailing hasn't been very kind to us Canadians - many shipments made it to the US before any came to us. I guess that's what we get for being in the Commonwealth, sending troops over to help out in two world wars etc. Thank you to our UK brethren! LOL!

Just plunked down my $ for an RS Aero. If I'm reading this board right, I think I may be one of the first in Texas w/ an Aero. Can't wait for RS to send that shipping container full of Aeros to Texas!

RS Sailing hasn't been very kind to us Canadians - many shipments made it to the US before any came to us. I guess that's what we get for being in the Commonwealth, sending troops over to help out in two world wars etc. Thank you to our UK brethren! LOL!

I know Fogh Marine has been waiting on a container for a bit. I'm not sure how things work, but there are often delays at customs or ports.

Our first container of Aeros we had to wait almost 10 full weeks in transit... took forever.....

Now it's much fast, our next container of Aeros arrives next week after about 5 weeks shipping time.

--

I also bought, uh, a lot of the production from the early part of the year, so, maybe blame me :)

Glad our Canadian friends are getting on board. Hopefully some of you come to the gorge for North Americans. Going to be rad, sailors coming in from all over the country.

RedTuna & ortegakid: I've got a standard Laser and a Laser Performance Vago that I keep down in Corpus Christi. I try to get down to CC to sail most weekends. I bought the Aero to keep in San Antonio so I can get some sailing action even when I can't make it down to CC some weekends. I've sailed Canyon Lake only once in the ~3 years I've been in San Antonio. But I'll probably be up there quite frequently (any weekend I'm not in Corpus) once I get the Aero. According to KO Sailing, it should be coming in sometime in July/Aug?

RedTuna: any link to info about these "monthly boardboat races" on Canyon Lake? I'm self-taught and haven't done any formal races. When I'm in Corpus, my preference is to take the Laser out in the Gulf, sail out to the closer oil rigs, and surf the waves back into shore. So, I don't really know anything about races or sailing with others, but it sounds like a fun way to meet some fellow sailors!

DTA, come on down to Seabrook sailing club in Galveston this weekend, summer solstice regatta, you'll have the time of yer life and meet the funnest group anywhere. No racing experience needed, but ya better drink beer AND LOVE SAILING. And KO is right around the corner from them.

ortegakid: thanks for the invite, but I've already planned a family a trip to Corpus this weekend. It does sound fun though; hope you guys have fun and catch you on the next one!

We can't get over the excitment over this boat, if you've sailed or purchased one you know exactly why!

Equally exciting, the Inaugural RS Aero North Americans July 24-26th in Cascade Locks, OR!

Registrations keep coming in and I'll be heading out there to support the event.

If you're interested in sailing contact West Coast Sailing or myself, Todd@RSSailing.com

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=166524

TCC is a great group to learn with.

For Canyon Lake racing, http://www.lcyc.net/monthlyclubracing.html

We've only had one or two Portsmouth boats racing, so you wouldn't be overwhelmed. I'm not racing because it's my time for RC duties; chase boat and anchor yanker. Great club and people if you want to check it out some time. Strong kids program, since you mention family.

Where do you launch in CC?

Come Sail an RS Aero — Demo Days in Seattle July 10 and 11

Come see what sailing in the 21st century looks like! The RS Aero is a 13’ single-hander that is amazingly light — the all up weight is less than that of an Optimist. User-friendly ashore (quick to rig, easy car-topping), the boat is dramatically fast and responsive on the water. The boat’s carbon spars are featherweight yet have the strength and flexibility of carbon fiber. There are multiple rig sizes (5, 7, and 9 sq meters) for all sailor weights.

Over 800 Aeros have been manufactured in the last year and there will be over 100 in the USA by this summer. You can join the fun with the growing Seattle fleet — weeknight racing is already happening and there are several regattas already planned.

Come see the boat and chat with local Seattle owners. RSVP by July 8 for a test sail at either Sail Sand Point or at Shilshole (north end). You must bring life jacket. These demos are being arranged by Seattle boat owners, and a safety boat will be on hand.

WHEN & WHERE: Friday July 10, 4-7PM at Sail Sand Point (at Magnuson Park) and Saturday July 11 at Shilshole Marina (north end, near CYC Seattle).

RSVP by July 8: dstumberger@hotmail.com to sign up for a demo sail — limited spots available so contact in advance.

post-39879-0-74895800-1434993576_thumb.jpg

RedTuna: I'm going to start a separate thread on the sailing I do in the CC area. Lately, I launch right off the beach into the Gulf of Mex (at Packery Channel) and have really gotten into the wave surfing opportunities presented by doing so. Again, I'll start a separate thread this evening b/c I never see anyone else Laser sail/surfing the Gulf waves, and I'd like to find other folks who do so, if there are any. And, of course, to make this post slightly on topic: I'm really looking forward to my Aero being shipped to KO Sailing so I can sail/surf in my Aero instead of (or in addition to) my Laser!

I know Fogh Marine has been waiting on a container for a bit. I'm not sure how things work, but there are often delays at customs or ports.

Our first container of Aeros we had to wait almost 10 full weeks in transit... took forever.....

Now it's much fast, our next container of Aeros arrives next week after about 5 weeks shipping time.

--

I also bought, uh, a lot of the production from the early part of the year, so, maybe blame me :)

Glad our Canadian friends are getting on board. Hopefully some of you come to the gorge for North Americans. Going to be rad, sailors coming in from all over the country.

Fogh Marine had a RS demo day this sunday and they had their RS Aero there (supposedly there's only 2 in Canada so far). Unfortunately traffic busted my plans (45min to drive 10mi/16km one way - mmm, no), so yet again I missed the opportunity to get on one.

Spoke with them about getting one and the wait time is about 8 months right now. If you want one for next year, put your money down NOW! :)

Yes, they're still waiting for the 1st container to get here with about 10 (already spoken for, of course) in 1-2 weeks time. Maybe we'll get see some OD racing in Toronto harbour this summer - it'd be fun!

Anyone have any idea when Texas will get its first shipment of Aeros? How does it work w/ RS? Does each North American distributor just beg and plead w/ RS until RS decides to give the distributor a box of Aeros? I've already plunked down full price, and don't mind waiting, but I just wish there was more clarity as to how the boats are being distributed among the North American distributors.

Anyone have any idea when Texas will get its first shipment of Aeros? How does it work w/ RS? Does each North American distributor just beg and plead w/ RS until RS decides to give the distributor a box of Aeros? I've already plunked down full price, and don't mind waiting, but I just wish there was more clarity as to how the boats are being distributed among the North American distributors.

Think Todd can chime in on this one. It's not as complicated as it sounds, but, demand has been quite high.

I believe production has caught up in the last 6 weeks or so, but there are still some lag effects from transit times/containers, etc.

Product is flowing, that I do know.

RS Sailing has 6 distributors throughout North America and dealers that work with them. Each of our distributors bring in full containers of boats several times a year which take months of planning, time in transit, and then we have to pray there are no delays with customs! It sounds daunting but both RS and our distributors are very organized and have a good handle on it, we can generally keep up with stocking boats and supplying orders in a timely fashion. Each boat added into the container is carefully planned, basically as boats are sold they are added to the container plus some stock boats. Of course only so many boats can fit and once it's filled there is no opportunity until the next container. With the Aero, demand has been going so fast and often falling in between container timing that it's been difficult to keep up.

From our end, while earlier in the year we were backed up with delivery for months and months, at this point, RS does have Aeros available within a reasonably short time frame to dispatch to North America.

As we are constantly selling boats the pile of Aero stock at RS is continuously changing. Generally distributors are ordering batches of boats (10+ at a time) we need to gather the proper number of boats needed for each container, this can time time to fulfill.

With all these factors it could mean it may take several months to get a container landed with a boat available for you. If you are interested in a boat please call your local distributor and start the conversation to when you could receive a boat.

If you have purchased a boat, first off thank you! You will not regret it! Please be patient with the distributor or dealer you are working with, if you are having a hard time getting in touch with someone or don't know who to contact, please contact me directly Todd@Rssailing.com.

For Texas, Contact Mark McNamara at KO Sailing, the boats are just about to leave the UK, he will let you know when the container will be landing.

CHICAGO AREA SAILORS!!

Anyone interested in a RS Aero demo sail mid next week?

We can go out for beers after and talk about how much you love the boat! Also please let me know how many it would take you to buy a boat.

Please email me Todd@rssailing.com

If you have purchased a boat, first off thank you! You will not regret it! Please be patient with the distributor or dealer you are working with, if you are having a hard time getting in touch with someone or don't know who to contact, please contact me directly Todd@Rssailing.com.

For Texas, Contact Mark McNamara at KO Sailing, the boats are just about to leave the UK, he will let you know when the container will be landing.

Great. Thanks for the update. I've got an Aero 9 on that container all bought and paid for. Can't wait!!

Todd,

What kind of traction are you getting in New England?

I would love to check one out. I liked my Force 5 better than a Laser, so the Aero makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm not in the market for anything new yet, but I like to think ahead, and I have friends who might be interested.

Jason

Hi DTA,

I have given you a pin on the map for Canyon Lake, San Antonio!

http://www.rsaerosailing.org

Each location pin represents where I know that RS Aeros are or where I know they are ordered and due soon.

There are definitely a few Texas destinations that I don't know about yet.

Great Laser video on the other thread. You will enjoy that in the RS Aero too!

This is a prototype aluminum Trailex Trailer for an Aero.

Basically a Laser Trailer with some minor changes.

Just assembled it today, so going to forward to RS for input before we start selling these, but, hopefully now the trailer problem is solved.

post-6026-0-02269600-1435622754_thumb.jpg

post-6026-0-77884900-1435622765_thumb.jpg

post-6026-0-74843700-1435622779_thumb.jpg

Just assembled it today, so going to forward to RS for input before we start selling these, but, hopefully now the trailer problem is solved.

Could this trailer be easily switched by the owner between being configured for the Laser or the RS Aero? Or are you basically stuck with one or the other?

Damn - the trailer looks sweet. Unfortunately, I've already ordered my Aero w/ a generic general purpose small watercraft trailer. Hopefully, with the light weight of the Aero, it won't hurt for its hull to be sitting on the padded slats. I've never noticed that it hurts my Laser to do so.

Thanks Peter. I see Texas has 3 pins. Yee-haw! By the way, I'm sure you guys could up-sell me on a foiling kit for the Aero in about a year if you could ever engineer that. I've seen such a foiling kit for the Laser, but I don't want to drop that kind of $ to upgrade an old Laser. But if RS came out with the Aero foiling upgrade kit, well then I could definitely be convinced to part w/ my $ for that.

Traction in New England is good. It's certainly catching on and It's going to get better soon I think but I can't give up too much detail yet.

There is a small fleet at a lake in Sharon, MA and the rest are scattered.

I'll have on floating around MA and RI in August for anyone that wants to try.

Champlain is a hike for me from Boston but if you sell one to a buddy I'll deliver it and bring another up so you can all try it.

17 boats preregisted for the Inagural North Americans and still a month away! Not too shabby for a first and a PNW event.

Could this trailer be easily switched by the owner between being configured for the Laser or the RS Aero? Or are you basically stuck with one or the other?

This is using the Trailex Laser trailer, with Laser II side supports, and eventually the Sunfish style bow.

Sounds like a frankenstein style, but, actually well fitted.

If we kept the bow as is, should be fine with Laser and Aero.

If we switch to Sunfish style bow on this trailer, probably won't work well for Laser.

(but, people could potentially just swap bow pieces out, that would be quite simple as far as I can tell).

Will know more in a few weeks, but, looking good.

Has anyone here in the US tried to establish (probably via math and reasoning against the UK PY system) a provisional DPN handicap for any of the Aero variants? I know there is no approved formula, and the US spread between the Finn and the Laser is considerably different from the UK spread between the same boats, which makes simple "percentage difference" calculations hard to resolve.

Had a Trailex trailer ( very small ) for a Mega Byte. It had the small 8" wheels and NO SUSPENSION. In spite of that, I trailed the Mega Byte from Atlanta to Marblehead Mass and back at 80 mph the whole time. This Trailex ( pictured ) has one small leaf spring and should work PERFECTLY to trail anywhere at any speed. You won't be sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people trying out the boat in the gorge and seattle this last weekend

10 more Aeros being prepped for west coast customers here this week.

Next container with Aeros left RS last week and is on the way.

post-6026-0-56938400-1436811401_thumb.jpg

Has anyone here in the US tried to establish (probably via math and reasoning against the UK PY system) a provisional DPN handicap for any of the Aero variants? I know there is no approved formula, and the US spread between the Finn and the Laser is considerably different from the UK spread between the same boats, which makes simple "percentage difference" calculations hard to resolve.

In the Boston Aero fleet we did work out US PN handicaps for the three Aero variants by a simple calculation based on the US and UK handicap numbers for the Laser. But in the end we decided it was simpler in the first year just to race all Aero variants on an equal footing with Lasers with no handicap adjustments.

This seems pretty fair so far, partly because we are probably still learning to sail the Aeros up to their true potential... but with one major exception. In light airs the Aero 9 (even with a fat boy sailor (like me) slowing it down) is significantly faster than the Aero 7s and the Lasers. I guess we will need to make some adjustments to the system next year.

Yes, Tillerman, that makes sense - my intuition would guess that the 9s would have to be faster than Laser up to their design wind, that the 7s you would expect to be just a tad faster (lower hull weight, tad less sail drag, though perhaps a tad more wetted surface?), and 5s slower, although of course this reverses above design wind.

In UK, the most data is on the D0, which we'll take as (sail area wise) falling between the 7s and the 9s. There a D0 sails a tad faster than a Finn, and clearly faster than a Laser. Fine. But simply using that data to translate to a US DPN is hard in practice. Why? Because the "spread" between, Finn speed and Laser speed in the US is quite a bit different (narrower spread) than in the UK (wide spread) - complicating informal conversion. For example, if you apply the percentage differents (PY1040 for D0 vs. PY1091 for Laser) and use this to adjust the US handicap for a laser (I think it was something unreal like 87- you end up with a WAY faster handicap for a D0 than if you base it instead on a Finn, which puts you around 89 something - seems more reasonable.

There are several web postings elsewhere that indicates the US / UK laser spread method is somehow flawed too. It could do with how the respective handicaps are calculated (US uses first and last place finishers as I recall, for all I know UK may use ALL competitors), or that US has few Finn sailors that happen to be really good, etc.

You can also use the formulas given by US sailing to adjust the boat DPNs (based on sail area, weight, WLW primarily, but won't take into account a more efficient rig) - and that would give an Aero 7 something just a mite tad faster, which IMHO is the best approach short of actual experience. Take the formula design for the laser parameters, set the one constant to match the US laser DPN, then plug in the other boat's numbers. Not very experienced based though. But will give a result with at least some theoretical basis.

The RYA have just issued ENs for the Aero. The Aero 9 comes out at 1030 which is 10 points faster than the D-Zero . In practice and on the water though the difference seems to be minimal between helms of comparable ability.

10 points is of course 1%, and the difference between front end and mid fleet sailors is at least 10%...