• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could sell mine and get another. That has always been my fleet building plan.  Send me a text or email and we can discuss condition, associated goodies, and price. 

Aero Sailing Week happening now in Jensen Beach, FL. 28 Aeros were registered but some have dropped out due to COVID concerns. This pas weekend was Aero Florida State Champs and this upcomin

I have lost count but I have sailed the boat almost every day but Wednesday and missed only a couple evenings.  Maybe the number of two to three hour rides is ten i finally found some lightw

Posted Images

Alex- If that took me a month to type up, I should be fired!

My write up is 5 pages long, double spaced. One of my co-workers thought it was dreadful writing, another said it was great... ha.

Tiller Man - the usual places. Stand by.

A little here, maybe some over there, possibly that other place depending how you're feeling.

I'm sure we'll see it around soon enough. Had a good time out there it would seem...

Check out this link for some actual racing results from handicap action in the UK. No idea of wind strength, but interesting to see the handicaps they used, which I am sure are provisional. 1040 for the Aero 9 and 1065 for the Aero 7. A Laser is 1087 and a Finn is 1053. The Rooster 8.1 (a Laser with an 8.1 sq m sail) has a rating of 1050. I somehow though the Aero numbers would be better. It sure looks faster in the videos!

http://www.gurnardsc.org.uk/sailwave-results/Spring%20Series%20Medium%20Handicap%202014.HTML

But the races that the aero did were pretty good for them. I would assume it was breeze on considering the number of DNCs on the sheet. How do those sailors generally rank? Not much to go on but it's a start.

Good to see that they are out racing, hopefully it all gets reported.

The DNC's are likely because it's a weekly series with a bunch of people only showing up now and then.

precisely! Not uncommon for nigh-on every club series results I've seen of late. Plus the Aeros look like they were on loan, not owner boats for a period of three weeks in April, so no surprise to see them DNC in the later races.

According to bramblemet archives, the wind strengths on race days were as follows:

13/04/2013:

bramblemet_140413.png

Screen_Shot_2014_06_04_at_11_37_14.png

20/04/2014:

bramblemet_140420.png

Screen_Shot_2014_06_04_at_11_37_23.png

Yep- knots, should have said that, but you guys assumed correctly.

I would look more at the ETs in the results, not that they will show you too much in terms of raw performance.

Take for example the race on the 20th - the Aero 7 is convincingly beaten across the water by standard lasers, but marginally pips the Radials. That will give you an 'on the water perception' had you have been standing at the finish line and have an equally clueless idea about the standard of the sailors involved, and/or if there were any sizeable fuck-ups or capsizes along the way by any parties.

That's what I was looking at. The question then comes up of sailor aptitude relative to the fleet as it would be good to know how well the boat was sailed relative to the boats around it (same level, better, worse?)...

If they were boats on loan for the races then presumably the racers had minimal time in the boats beforehand and we can assume that the performance bar was lower than ideal (no time to figure out what makes the boat go).

what you are asking for is one of the demo sailors to come on here and give you an overview of their experience.... given it's taken however long for someone with a commercial incentive not release their feedback, I think you might be waiting a while. ;)

maybe it was an offshore wind and they're still out there reaching around waiting for favourable shift to fetch in?

haha, if that was a zing at me, jwl, well done.

My experience with side by side sailing the Aero 7 and rull rig laser in about 14kts was the Aero had some more pace in speed and similar height (we weren't racing though, so impossible to say for sure, but Laser sailor wasn't a slouch).

I was able to put the bow down and power under and then over a laser to overtake, but it wasn't instant.

I imagine as the boats are tuned up and sailors learn them, the Aero 7 will be shown to have more forward pace and more height over all upwind conditions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my 'commercial interest' is in serving my customers.

That's why I went to the UK to test the boat, that's why I wrote a 5 page expose on it.

Not to sell boats, but so my customers and those in North America get a true first hand account of how an average laser sailor does in the Aero.

You still have to hike to go upwind, and the Aero does so very nicely.

(The marketing folks in the sailing world don't show their fancy keel boats smashing upwind in 20kts and 5ft waves to sell boats... no consipiracy there with RS either, just reasling the sexy videos first) :)

it was what we would call a cheeky tickle.... not really the done thing anymore, but fine on internet forums.

Thanks for the updated feedback, looking forward to your report in due course... and of course the videos. :-)

Anybody remember the American Teacup Regatta where the Laser first showed up? I like the idea of one each of some of the older and some of the newer single handed non-assy boats racing head to head - all that counts is elapsed time. Laser, Laser Radial, the three Aeros, Devoti Zero, Phantom, Rooster 8.1, Blaze, Finn, Supernova (and others) - all helmed by competent sailors over three days of racing. Sponsored by the manufacturers, off-track betting, trash talking, the works!

Anybody remember the American Teacup Regatta where the Laser first showed up? I like the idea of one each of some of the older and some of the newer single handed non-assy boats racing head to head - all that counts is elapsed time. Laser, Laser Radial, the three Aeros, Devoti Zero, Phantom, Rooster 8.1, Blaze, Finn, Supernova (and others) - all helmed by competent sailors over three days of racing. Sponsored by the manufacturers, off-track betting, trash talking, the works!

How about even rotate the sailors?

I sail in one little one day, three race regatta each summer in which after each race the first place switches boats with last place, second switches boats with second to last, etc. It's intended to equalize the effect of slower vs. faster boats. And make the whole thing less serious and more fun...

I'm flattered everyone thinks my ariticle will be the seminole piece on Aero sailing the US!! :)

I can't reveal where or when it will be published (sorry, not trying to be coy), but hopefully live next week.

--

Seriously, it's just a US sailors opinion on the boat with the perspective of a company that sells a lot of RS boats.

...George.... ''if I show you,,I'll have t'kill you'',,,,,,,,I'm sure it'll be EPIC when it gets released!

..........well worth the anticipation and drama ;)

.................I'll shaddap now :mellow:

I'm flattered everyone thinks my ariticle will be the seminole piece on Aero sailing the US!! :)

I can't reveal where or when it will be published (sorry, not trying to be coy), but hopefully live next week.

--

Seriously, it's just a US sailors opinion on the boat with the perspective of a company that sells a lot of RS boats.

Sounds like a whole lot of BS to me.

The promise that never arrives, the excuses, the lack of openness, ...

If its Seminole will it wrestle alligators or successfully resist the US Army for decades?

As nice as the Aero sounds it is rather telling that there is some question as to whether it is as fast as a Laser, which by the way gets much quicker with a decent rig and blades.

No such doubt exists with the D0, clearly faster than a laser. Jess sayin.

what you are asking for is one of the demo sailors to come on here and give you an overview of their experience....

I did actually. Maybe didn't have that much to say.

Tough crowd!!

Although, Fish AintBiting's comments literally made me chuckle :)

I could have not flown to the UK and sailed the boat and then I would have nothing to report!

Or I could ignore all the customers who are buying boats the last month...

Or, most ironically, I could have only sent it to my customers who had deposits down (who remembers *those* discussion on SA re: the flying tiger...!!)

Relax guys, go out and go sailing.

I wrote this for my customers interested in the boat and all of the inquiries from people seriously considering it.

They have to wait another 9 months for their boats anyway, it's not like the world hinges on this.

(that said, I heard this morning that I might get my first couple boats even earlier than exepcted)

One customer is so excited about the boat they are airfreighting directly to their house.

If anyone wants to come to the warehouse and help rig boats or answer the phone, come on down :)

--

Sounds like a whole lot of BS to me.

The promise that never arrives, the excuses, the lack of openness, ...

If anyone wants to come to the warehouse and help rig boats or answer the phone, come on down :)

You paying to get us there?

Mate, we're all just pulling your leg (maybe yanking is a better word). We're all looking forward to seeing your report and understand that it takes time to get things published with any authority.

RELAX?!! The ravening hordes will not be denied! ;)

In the meantime, here's some more marketing fluff I spotted over on Tillerman's fine blog:

Amazing what can be done with drones these days.

The question is: are the two sailors in the video George and Phil, or just some random English gentlemen?

The answer will be published somewhere, sometime but I can't reveal where or when.

The answer will be published somewhere, sometime but I can't reveal where or when.

Talk about clandestine marketing.... why all the illuminati shit? Facebook tells us its drip feeding....

Just publish the video / report... it's only a sailboat.

At this rate it better be pretty bloody amazing, or it there's serious damp squib consequences.

Tillerman - that is not us, the drone went out as we pulled in for lunch and some younger nippers hoped on the boats for the first time.

JWL - I am being respectful to the publications which have been given the story and publishing it. Nothing more or less.

It's done, edited and done.

Sent a copy to the staff at RS as a courtesy. They didn't like everything, but they respect that it's my take on it and helps my customers understand the boat more.

It's a bloody sailboat indeed, my report will be one of hundreds that come out on it, but just trying to do it right instead of rushed :)

How come the intro price is $1125 USD more in Canada than US?! Aren't they all made in the GB and shipped over?

In Canada it comes out to about $8065 USD ($8795 CAD) vs $6940 in US. That's 16% more at these prices - a big difference. I guess having the Queen on our money doesn't mean much.

UK boats going into Canada have a 9.5% duty fee. Not sure, but could be some other taxes and fees on top of that. But the duty is where the bulk of it comes from.

(UK to USA is 1.5% duty fwiw)

Yes - on top of that there are various taxes ranging from 5% to 15% depending on the Province in which you live. I,too, am looking forward to seeing the article, but do people really think there are going to be any big surprises? Nice boat, finished well, well rigged, great fun, extremely responsive, a blast off the wind, you have to hike to keep it flat upwind, the light weight might make it feel skittish to some... Am I close, West Coast?

UK boats going into Canada have a 9.5% duty fee. Not sure, but could be some other taxes and fees on top of that. But the duty is where the bulk of it comes from.

(UK to USA is 1.5% duty fwiw)

....of course there's also a ~10% difference between the Can/US dollar these days as well.

...it used to be that the extra duty could be waived if the boat was for an olympic campaign---just sayin! ;)

I love that this report has made me famous. What fun!

I am *hopeful* that the article will be posted in conspicuous places this week. It could be any day though.

--

I forwarded a few copies privately to customers who already had deposits or were interested, and got quite a good response.

Bill4 - you can be my ghost writer. 5 pages to say a lot of the things you said, I just included all the details. :)

report should be published today or tomorrow. :)

I'll wait for bill4, jbl and everyone else here on DA who have been hot for it to send in their orders post haste!!

Get in line boys ;)

.....me's waiting for the video's of a 220lb'er in 45 knots :mellow::rolleyes:;)

Very nice report, George, thanks. You're a fine writer, and don't let anyone tell you differently!

To begin the cavalcade of unanswered questions, how would you compare the two rigs? Like you, I fall right between the two sizes, but am leaning toward the 9. Which would you choose to start with?

A few questions, WestCoast:

1) Any new pics and video coming, from your test sail?

2) Is the cockpit deeper or shallower than the Laser?

3) Why / in what way was it difficult to use the cunningham and outhaul controls?

4) What did you think about the relatively high tiller angle?

Thanks!

Very nice report, George, thanks. You're a fine writer, and don't let anyone tell you differently!

To begin the cavalcade of unanswered questions, how would you compare the two rigs? Like you, I fall right between the two sizes, but am leaning toward the 9. Which would you choose to start with?

Thanks!

I would 100% start with the 7. Learn the boat, get a feel for it. Unless you are 200+ lbs, I'd absolutely get the smaller rig to start.

We'll have our first container of Aeros on the water this fall and some PNW sailors racing around shortly after.

Thanks for the report George. Best review by far (so far) of the RS Aero. Lots of great information there.

I currently have an RS Aero on order and looking forward to my own demo. Soon, I hope.

I have a 9 on order. Are you saying that at 190 lbs I should really be going for a 7?

Do you know if anybody is going to run clinics/ seminars on RS Aero technique in the next 12 months? I would even travel to Europe for an opportunity like that.

Are any other regions in the US going to be getting boats for customer delivery this fall?

A few questions, WestCoast:

1) Any new pics and video coming, from your test sail?

2) Is the cockpit deeper or shallower than the Laser?

3) Why / in what way was it difficult to use the cunningham and outhaul controls?

4) What did you think about the relatively high tiller angle?

Thanks!

thanks for the kind words. Glad it was worth the wait :)

There are lots of pre-orders in North America already, so it's all happening.

1) Our video footage ended up being fairly crappy, truth be told. We are working on cobbling together something, but please don't count on us for the best vids.

2) I didn't measure. It's quite different though, as it's not just a 'cutout/dugout' like the Laser. It's a full cockpit - so hard to compare the two. My guess is the Aero is 'deeper' in the true sense of depth from say, deck to cockpit floor. But I think the layout of the cockpit will be much more of a benefit to people than just the true depth. (sorry if that isn't well said, when you see yours you will see what I mean)

3) I sent a copy of the report to RS a few days ago to get their thoughts. Couple things they didn't like, but they didn't ask me to change things.

That said, they did tell me that the controls had already been modfied. In what way, I will have to wait and see.

The main problem was that the cleats on the prototype were just boring old clam cleats, and both the height off the deck was wrong (not enough) and the angle was wrong. So you basically couldn't get your fingers under the control lines to release or yank on. Also, once you did, they didn't cleat well.

Again, I'm told this has been completely addressed and re-done, so I am taking them at their word.

4) Honestly, didn't notice.

Additional note: It's funny, when I sail, I just sail. I'm not an Olympic level sailors who could meaure every angle and deflection and say it was good or bad. I just took it out like most of my customers and sailed it.

It sounds to me like the "Laser for the 21st century" moniker is spot on. Your comments on your first sail sound like the first sail I had in a Laser with OKs and Solos as my comparative. Lighter, spriter and more exhilirating - but the controls were kind of awkward. Difference being the Aero isn't waiting 30 years to correct the controls!

Thanks for the report George. Best review by far (so far) of the RS Aero. Lots of great information there.

I currently have an RS Aero on order and looking forward to my own demo. Soon, I hope.

I have a 9 on order. Are you saying that at 190 lbs I should really be going for a 7?

Do you know if anybody is going to run clinics/ seminars on RS Aero technique in the next 12 months? I would even travel to Europe for an opportunity like that.

Are any other regions in the US going to be getting boats for customer delivery this fall?

Thanks for the kind words tillerman

At your weight, I would 100% start out in the 7. You will likely after 6 months, also get a 9 (I am told there will be some deals for pre-order customers to get multiple rigs). The 7 has basically same sail area as Laser Full Rig in lighter boat with better sail design and spars. Think it will keep you entertained for a while as you learn the boat. Then the 9 will be a real weapon to sail.

Clinics, seminars... that's the plan, but it's too early days for specifcs for NA. Depending on where fleets get started first, I imagine some organized clinics and coaching sessions will happen in some key geopgraphic areas by summer next year. I don't want to - over promise - something that isn't set in stone yet, but this is totally a part of the Aero plan I've been briefed on.

I will leave the boat availability response to Martin or an RS person. But originally the goal was to have boats in North America starting ~March/April 2015.

That has moved forward to fall 2014 as demand has been quite significant.

(I don't know if that means RS is just freeing up European build slots for NA, or if they are simply bringing more molds online for worldwide production)

So I know a number of boats are being freed up for North America as soon as this fall.

I don't know what other dealers and distributors are buying, but I'm ordering 10-15 (basically as many as they can ship me in the first allocation).

I really hope this boat makes it. I really like the D-one also but I honestly think this boat has better chances, if from nothing else other than the fact that RS has a decent dealer network and soo many other successful boats in the dinghy catagory.

I bought a Raider Turbo last year and it does exactly what I wanted it to do. It carries me, I can singlehand it, and I can sail it with a crew also. Honestly I have come to like it much more with a crew than singlehanded as it is soo sensitive to weight shifts, with a crew it is much more stable. Anyway the biggest issue is that they do not sell enough of these boats to form enough local fleets. Everyone who buys one or sails one loves it but no takers. I feel it is just not enough dealers and not enough marketing. I have many people calling for info on my boat, but they always ask where can they see one, and the answer is there arnt many and that scares alot of people. The issue comes down to racing, since I am by myself I get bunched in with other boats. My boat raced a couple of weeks ago and got thrown in with the IC, they are a 79 dpn while mine is a 89.4 Tough to even compete and finish on time.

So I went out and bought a old laser to have fun racing in a one design. I hope in the future I could get a RS Aero in place of the laser!!

Shi# I now wish I had not read this thread. i have looked quite a bit more at this boat and the D-one. I was already looking at the megabyte. Now I want a Aero. I have to say that just from a astetic point I like the D-one more than the aero, but I think the distribution, and the weight would make me go with the Aero. The fact that you can pick up the whole boat and take it from your trailer to the water is phenomenal!!

Time to start saving up some money, Xmas present 2015? I deserve it!!! Picture the storage with a Aero sitting next to my raider!!!

Maybe RS could offer a layaway, where you make payments for a year and get your boat upon final payment? This way there is no interest, yes I know I can save the money and then buy the boat, but that never happens, this way I would be obligated...

You're probably thinking of the D-zero. The D-one has a kite (was released around the same time as the RS100) and is a bit of a different kind of boat.

Just trying to make sure we all keep track of what we're talking about. With all the little single-handed boats emerging these days it's a fun time to watch what could happen to growth in that sector of sailing.

And the ones you raced with are new rules, real PN # is around 75!

I really hope this boat makes it. I really like the D-one also but I honestly think this boat has better chances, if from nothing else other than the fact that RS has a decent dealer network and soo many other successful boats in the dinghy catagory.

I bought a Raider Turbo last year and it does exactly what I wanted it to do. It carries me, I can singlehand it, and I can sail it with a crew also. Honestly I have come to like it much more with a crew than singlehanded as it is soo sensitive to weight shifts, with a crew it is much more stable. Anyway the biggest issue is that they do not sell enough of these boats to form enough local fleets. Everyone who buys one or sails one loves it but no takers. I feel it is just not enough dealers and not enough marketing. I have many people calling for info on my boat, but they always ask where can they see one, and the answer is there arnt many and that scares alot of people. The issue comes down to racing, since I am by myself I get bunched in with other boats. My boat raced a couple of weeks ago and got thrown in with the IC, they are a 79 dpn while mine is a 89.4 Tough to even compete and finish on time.

So I went out and bought a old laser to have fun racing in a one design. I hope in the future I could get a RS Aero in place of the laser!!

Cavi did you race at Whiskeytown over Memorial Day? We had our Banshee Fleet there for some good racing. The high winds on Sunday took a toll on the old boats knocking out 3 of the 10. Aeros on the Inland Lake Circuit could be fun if there were enough boats for one design. That is going to be the issue - getting enough boats out there and getting the sailors to show up at the same Regatta. My take is that Portsmouth handicapped racing is a waste of time and money - it is all about the ratings, not the race. It makes tennis look appealing.

..... ... ...

My take is that Portsmouth handicapped racing is a waste of time and money - it is all about the ratings, not the race. It makes tennis look appealing.

That depends on what you consider most important.

1- Sailing

2- Ensuring the right people win

Handicap fleet racing can be a lot of fun if you don't take yourself too seriously. Look at how many people mock PHRF (including me) and look at how many people keep racing PHRF (including me). Caveat: I have chops from a bunch of one-design classes. And I already have enough silver/glass knickknacks to last me a while, don't need more to show off.

FB- Doug

I sailed Cavi's Raider at Whiskeytown. What a beautiful place to sail. Think lakes of northern Italy.

Yes, Portsmouth Handicap racing can be frustrating. Yet, I think you will find that for a while RS Areo owners will be sailing in handicap fleets. Might as well make the best of it.

On the Raider I was handicapped by a really small screecher and a really clueless skipper, me. Seems that everywhere I went on Saturday on that lake was where the locals never go. You Banshees beat me to a leeward mark in a light air race Saturday when I sat near a cove for a full ten minutes.

Yet, I had a great time all weekend. It's the sailing and the people.

Can you tell who is sailing which boat once we all get ashore?

Get enthusiastic people aboard a class and it will thrive. If the enthusiasm for the RS Areo on media sites is any indicaiton, it will be a rousing success!

Dave Ellis

Tampa Bay, Florida

Cavi did you race at Whiskeytown over Memorial Day? We had our Banshee Fleet there for some good racing. The high winds on Sunday took a toll on the old boats knocking out 3 of the 10. Aeros on the Inland Lake Circuit could be fun if there were enough boats for one design. That is going to be the issue - getting enough boats out there and getting the sailors to show up at the same Regatta. My take is that Portsmouth handicapped racing is a waste of time and money - it is all about the ratings, not the race. It makes tennis look appealing.

One of the things that inticed me to fly there specifically to test the boat was just how many new singlehanders were coming out all at once.

--

Someone else sort of mentioned it, but it's very true that there is a big difference between *launching* a new singlehanded boat and actually delivering and supporting one worldwide.

The reason I bothered to go and see the boat so early, knowing it would eventually come to the states anyway... was that I know RS can do the global distribution on this boat.

That makes a very very significant impact on the boats ability to generate fleets in all sorts of locations. Means multiple dealers in many countries doing demos... organizing events, showing the boat off.

With no disrespect to any of the smaller manufacturers.... the best boat in the world isn't going to gain serious traction without a robust and proven supply chain.

That's a double edge sword though... Kirby Torch anyone?

It's interesting, when looking at global dinghy classes, those who we could say are the most successful in terms of reach and recognition, many of them are not owned by one manufacturer with a distribution model. Each of those has a supply chain in place, multiple sailmakers and spar builders, all working in within a ruleset to promote the class. The IP is shared, or even owned by the Class, not the builder.

- International Moth

- Fireball

- Contender

- OK

- Optimist

- A-Class

and of course the Finn. And we all know who is the most successful builder of contemporary Finns, don't we ;-)

At your weight, I would 100% start out in the 7.

Hmmmm. I'm 20lb lighter than that and was told by RS I am on the 7/9 borderline. How windy is it where you sail?

I had a quick chat today with someone about the rig size, and at 160lb wet I think I'd got for the 9 given the lack of +15 kts winds around here.

Here's why:

When I windsurf I'm on a 8.8m sail 60-70% of the time, in up to 12 kn. My next smaller sail is a 6.9m, which I use 20-30% of the time in 12-18 kn. And the 5.5m I use 10% (once/twice per season) in over 16 kn.

I usually end up sailing with the 8.8m sail from the sailing club where the dinghy is. Heavier people need to carry more sail in the same conditions - I know a 220lb guy that sails a 9.5m when I'm on my 6.9m, for example. The difference between us is about the same as my windsurf and the RS.

In my simplistic math I think I'd be ok with the 9m RS in Toronto. It should be fine up to about 16-18 kts, same as where I would have to switch to the 5m windsurf sail. More than 15 kn wind speed is rare in Toronto: http://en.windfinder.com/forecast/toronto_island.

I think that even with a 9 RS, planning will only be around 10 kts downwind and maybe 12-13 upwind, or about 2 knots higher than on the windsurf.

I think that even with a 9 RS, planning will only be around 10 kts downwind and maybe 12-13 upwind, or about 2 knots higher than on the windsurf.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of planning upwind in 12-13 knots, a boat like this is a good tactical racer. I'm not convinced there'd be much planing upwind though.