• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could sell mine and get another. That has always been my fleet building plan.  Send me a text or email and we can discuss condition, associated goodies, and price. 

Aero Sailing Week happening now in Jensen Beach, FL. 28 Aeros were registered but some have dropped out due to COVID concerns. This pas weekend was Aero Florida State Champs and this upcomin

Threatening.... i like that choice of terms  I still haven’t dumped the thing . It seems it is  forgiving of all sins  if you just let go of the  mainsheet and sit  in the cockpit  i have do

Posted Images

I know very little. Hiker, "modern Laser" as far as I know. May be too late to the game though?

....not another millennial laser!?.........sounds like time for a centre-hiker 'teacup regatta' ISAF sail-off!

Yes of course, I hope you enjoy it - it looks a fun boat that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Out of interest have you seen/sailed a Zero? Did you pick the aero because it suits you better, or because others in the area did? Or some other reason?

No I haven't sailed a Zero. My club is looking to establish an Aero fleet so I'm not all that interested in the Zero. RS is a marketing machine in the UK - Devoti isn't. I don't buy your "sports car" analogy, unless you hope to race your sports car in an OD class.

It comes down to, all these people who claim that the Laser/Torch/Kirby Dinghy is hopelessly obsolete....don't seem to be able to do all that much better.

I've sailed Lasers and the Aero. "Not much better" isn't how I see it. Anyway, the Laser is a dead class at my club and isn't coming back.

RS is a marketing machine in the UK - Devoti isn't.

And there's some truth in that, RS are very good at getting decent numbers quickly- they certainly have buy-in from a loyal fan base, and rightly so- they've made innovation accessible and I know I'm grateful that someone stepped up with a long term alternative to the classes being sailed at club level in the 80s and early 90s without resorting to boats which were frankly bi-polar and poorly developed. (They're defunct now, so no need to highlight which ones they were...)

However Devoti (or more accurately) Suntouched are plugging away with demos around the UK, and offer similar incentives for fleet purchasing, so not without 'marketing', albeit a bit grass-roots enthusiast Linux vs the Microsoft (or they'd like to think Apple) of the UK Dinghy world. I'm sure international roll-out is very much on the cards, and I hear rumour of US based sales, but don't think this thread is appropriate for any concrete announcement.

Where I think Devoti are missing a real trick is not looking at multiple sailmakers. That would be a real point of difference with the Aero, which was always only ever going to be a SMOD based on the Laser format.

FWIW I think the North Sail I tested was frankly awesome, but opening up sailmakers (and possibly masts too) offers far more than a consumer choice vs one design debate. It enables classes to be effectively promoted by more and more people in the trade, or with a strong local presence to help with that local, vital fleet build up. The Streaker has been brought back from obscurity by the likes of P&B, and need we mention the chariot of choice for Costa Geriatrica or even the Phantom? All have benefited massively from multiple sailmaker involvement, and Devoti appears to not have suffered with multiple spar and sailmakers for their best-of-breed Finn department.

Not to mention the commercial benefit - where landing the bare hull in 'ex-colonies' would be significantly more tax efficient if paired with a domestically sourced rig and sail pack. I guess the latter point can be covered with some clever accounting and supply chain management.... It can't make sense for RS to re-ship Aero sails from the far east, into the UK and out again to US or Aus/NZ.... but I think that's Sosoomi's point, it's rather a soulless aspect of the boat ownership process we've all come to love if we, the consumer, care ourselves with such matters. Given a genuinely free choice, I'd love to see my new D-Zero being supplied with an HD sail, sourced from guys I trust and respect all within a lunch hour drive away. But given it's not, and there are no plans in that direction, the North sail, in a 21st century cloth, is a compromise I'm willing to accept.

Edit- forgot to say congrats on getting a new fleet together, interesting that you're going for the 9m, if I were of gambling persuasion, I'd have put money on the 7 being the more popular choice... anyway, well done and good news- there's enough sectarianism in the world, the more Aeros there are out there, the better for the Zero too. I firmly believe we could all race together and share some beers, albeit if our respective manufacturers approach such an event / meet up in trepidation.

It comes down to, all these people who claim that the Laser/Torch/Kirby Dinghy is hopelessly obsolete....don't seem to be able to do all that

much better.

I've sailed Lasers and the Aero. "Not much better" isn't how I see it. Anyway, the Laser is a dead class at my club and isn't coming back.

Better at what?

Faster? get a trap boat or a cat or a motorboat.

Easier to rig, better handling, generally less PITA all around... that's a low bar to get over. The Laser is a terrible boat in many respects.

Bigger numbers at class events? That's the biggest factor in favor of the Laser, and somehow I've just never been the kind of guy to own and campaign a boat I dislike just so I can be part of a bigger crowd. You?

FB- Doug

Maybe better simply because it's nicer to sail and own than a Laser.

If the feet voted in favour of the Aero at a club near me, then I can't say I wouldn't join in. Pulling together friends new and old... yep, I get why dogwatch would jump in. And at these prices, why not?

Better than the Laser in what ways? Lighter, faster, more responsive, modern rig,

As I said, Laser is a dead class around me anyway. The incumbent single-handed hiking class is the National Solo.

One comment about distribution:

It's not *the* reason to consider a new model of boat. Surely.

Unfortunetly, over the last half decade, it's become painfully obvious that it is something you need to consider when purchasing a dinghy.

North America is far away from the epicenter of cool boats sailing in Europe. A robust and proven supply chain to get boats here and support them is the only way a boat like the Aero goes from 'cool boat' to the boat.

Whats wrong with a single manufacturer sail? Multiple sailmakers = If losing, you blame the sail. End up with cheque book warfare - sails for different wind, sails for levels of fitness etc

Seems to be more marketing effort for Dzero on the web including public demo listing etc . RS strangely quiet ?

West Coast report and Yachting World report - is the RS Aero difficult upwind?

Ask ANY Laser sailor.

@lumpy one

I don't think there's much evidence of cheque book warfare in the UK Solo fleet. Sure, you can spend £1200 on the latest North 3DL cut, but in truth, to get the competitive advantage out of it, then you're probably at a level where you are either being paid to sail with it, or paid to sail something else to prove it's unnecessary.

Where I did see a major benefit was at local level- where a local sailmaker with a strong history in the class, was able to supply, tune up and work with a group of club sailors- cutting sails to suit existing masts and body weights. Some of whom choose Dacron to get a longer life out of it (and preferred sails look white, not cling film) Those guys all improved and enjoyed their sailing more as a result. Sounds like a 'win' to me....

Why are RS being quiet about the Aero? Why no feedback from all the demonstrations. What has happened to the RS 'machine' you all talk about. Is there a problem with it or am i imagining it??

Apparently they are 'drip feeding' according to their Facebook Page.... upwind footage was promised nearly a month ago now:

1901339_10151991137751172_149820494_n.jp

When will we see some video of the RS Aero doing some proper windward leeward sailing, in typical LIGHT conditions, and also in a decent breeze working into chop etc, surfing downhill etc.

People are starting to wonder if it's a dog to windward and only suitable for blasting around on a reach

At this stage, I've seen more realistic video of the opposition: ...See More

UnlikeUnlike · · 22 May at 13:04 via Mobile
  • 1800480_10152270768249728_2036179709_n.j
    RS Sailing Lots more video coming Ron, we're drip feeding! Rest assured we'd not create a dog.. its a blank sheet of paper in the design after all!

But I agree, very few punters out there telling their stories of the demo sails and first rides. Perhaps they've been asked not to for some reason? Who knows......

But I agree, very few punters out there telling their stories of the demo sails and first rides. Perhaps they've been asked not to for some reason? Who knows......

Paranoid much? There are several accounts here, including mine (brief).

no, not at all. I hope they are selling in droves as explained, but I'm surprised by what appears to be very little limited public feedback, especially in response to questions over upwind credentials, from independent sources. Anyway paranoia - it's an interesting concept, especially around upwind feel...

@lumpy one

I don't think there's much evidence of cheque book warfare in the UK Solo fleet. Sure, you can spend £1200 on the latest North 3DL cut, but in truth, to get the competitive advantage out of it, then you're probably at a level where you are either being paid to sail with it, or paid to sail something else to prove it's unnecessary.

Where I did see a major benefit was at local level- where a local sailmaker with a strong history in the class, was able to supply, tune up and work with a group of club sailors- cutting sails to suit existing masts and body weights. Some of whom choose Dacron to get a longer life out of it (and preferred sails look white, not cling film) Those guys all improved and enjoyed their sailing more as a result. Sounds like a 'win' to me....

....a bit of a sidetrack to talk of th'Dero's sail policy here,,but ohh well,,,it's SA afterall.......

..........it seems to me to be a questionable plan that will separate some simple budget sailors from others with bigger chequebooks who bank a quiver of sails for different conditions.

...with a well controllable carbon mast,,,it's -amazing- what a difference of 2-3'' luff-round does for different sailor weights!......I don't see the need for 5-7-9m sails either....think it just serves to dilute a local group.

Paranoid no, facts would be useful yes. This thread is short of any meaningful punter experience. Scuttlebut report and Yachting World both appear to suggest upwind isn't perhaps straightforward . seems to be plenty of comments on a competitor boat and shots/vid upwind. Haven't seen any upwind video more than couple of secs nor read any independent user report talking about real upwind experience, hiking comfort. Plenty of boats have to put the nose down to get past a laser, but would have hoped for better if its so revolutionary. Just sayin

....in reality,,,upwind sailing will show only a tiny margin better than our favorite comparo,,,,,ONLY if one hikes hard---there's no free rides upwind..........the laser hull is/was a very efficient shape,I'll give it that,and there's no centre-hiker that's going to meet the design-breif of last winter's kiwiboat fail.

LumpyOne - The president of RS posted here - specifically - addressing the upwind planing claim from a test sailor......

If you read any of the comments I wrote, your upwind questions are answered directly and simply by me.

It's super amusing to me, that because a manufacturer doesn't immedietely release an extended video of a new boat beating to weather, that someone can post on the internet that it doesn't go upwind.

No one likes going upwind, we have to do it to race, but it's not what shows off the best features of *any* boat. No conspiracy and no hidden agenda.

It's the middle of summer, RS is slammed, dealers are slammed, and most of our customers are on the water sailing instead of talking about sailing.

I don't mean to be dismissive, but the idea that someone with 4 posts can just derail 6 pages of open coversation about a new boat is strange to me.

Talked to the marketing team at RS yesterday, just for you LumpyOne!, and the next videos they will be releasing are all focused on upwind.

Send me a PM and I'll link you to the video when it's done before anyone else, so you get a personal sneak peek :)

I thought this passage from George's report was fairly telling:

"A full rig Laser was ahead of me, 3 lengths forward and 2 lengths to windward. In an effort to get past his bad air I eased, put the bow down a few feet, and sailed low and fast. I don’t think the Aero will prove to be wildly faster upwind than the Laser, but I was able to make up the forward distance and height within a couple hundred yards. Higher and faster with less work."

No one likes going upwind,

Not quite true, some folks like going upwind as that is where their forte is. I'm not claiming to have much tactical nouse personally, but if I want to pigeon hole myself I'm a far better sailor to weather than offwind.

As someone interested in racing dinghies, I do want to see how well something goes uphill and forgive me for questioning RS in particular on this, but I have owned two Vareos, so know a 'slogger' when I see one.

I don't think I'm alone, or even in a minority amongst racing sailors in thinking that upwind is just as important to us in our boat buying judgements. I guess for dicking around on a beach with your family it doesn't matter though.

As someone interested in racing dinghies, I do want to see how well something goes uphill and forgive me for questioning RS in particular on this, but I have owned two Vareos, so know a 'slogger' when I see one.

.....Crikey,,,you're reminding me of 2 finns I had,,,,there was maybe 1/4'' difference in fullness between the 2 bows,,,,the wider one was 'sticky' upwind in chop,,,but lifted out quicker when yer crack-off.....

...but I digress...........again :mellow:

it is brief, but 'planes upwind' really?

Probably not, no. One Irish sailor made that remark. Not RS, not a journalist, one sailor on a video. What's your point?

Plenty of boats have to put the nose down to get past a laser, but would have hoped for better if its so revolutionary. Just sayin

Nothing revolutionary about it. It's a well-executed take on the Laser concept with modern materials and an updated design.

Plenty of boats have to put the nose down to get past a laser, but would have hoped for better if its so revolutionary. Just sayin

Nothing revolutionary about it. It's a well-executed take on the Laser concept with modern materials and an updated design.

....^^...Lumpy,,,...they've got demo's going,,,the boats seem fine for what they're designed for --why diss them??

.....so much of this is the SA curse of........... 'premature articulation'.....soon enough the boats will speak for themselves:)

I don't understand the big deal. You can just look at the f*cking thing and tell it is going to perform OK upwind. It's not going to plane upwind and that has been acknowledged. You are going to have to hike to go faster than the next guy. Chances are excellent it's faster than a Laser upwind, but it won't be as fast as a Musto. Does anybody really think RS are "scared" to show upwind video? How bad can it be? Is there a video of any kind of boat sailing upwind that has influenced anybody's buying decision historically? "Yessir! I was about to order an Aero and them I saw a video of it going upwind. It was awful! It looked hideous! No chance I'll order one now!" Plus I would assume people are interested in this little beast for fleet racing, so as long as they all perform the same upwind who cares?

Am getting the hang of this. I join a forum and summarise a number of comments already said then some locals criticise straight away!

Didn't 'diss' the Aero at all, or the builder, actually said they build some good stuff, but for some reason attack dogs are out. then I realise the whole forum is sponsored by the builder!

Well we don't give a rat's patootie about who the sponsor is. This is Sailing Anarchy, not sailing nicey-nice. Personally I want to see honest opinion and the reasoning behind that opinion, not advertising BS.

I am not dissing the aero, it will be faster than a laser unless its being sailed by an idiot.

And maybe even then, depending on who's in the Laser

;)

FB- Doug

No one likes going upwind, we have to do it to race,

And in a hiking, non upwind planing boats, one spends a lot of time upwind in an average race and it's where the bulk of the tactics are and place changes are made. Therefore, it's vital the boat must be a delight to windward. Nimble, quick, responsive, quick tacking, close winded etc. RS know this. They've just dumped a boat that had these features by the bucket load; the RS 300.

I don't understand the big deal. You can just look at the f*cking thing and tell it is going to perform OK upwind. It's not going to plane upwind and that has been acknowledged. You are going to have to hike to go faster than the next guy. Chances are excellent it's faster than a Laser upwind, but it won't be as fast as a Musto. Does anybody really think RS are "scared" to show upwind video? How bad can it be? Is there a video of any kind of boat sailing upwind that has influenced anybody's buying decision historically? "Yessir! I was about to order an Aero and them I saw a video of it going upwind. It was awful! It looked hideous! No chance I'll order one now!" Plus I would assume people are interested in this little beast for fleet racing, so as long as they all perform the same upwind who cares?

I know what you mean, I don't think anyone is actually anticipating RS300/RS600 sparkling upwind glory, which is why the irish fella makes great forum fodder. (In fairness he said he was a Vareo sailor, therefore you could forgive him for finding another, any other, boat 'good' upwind)

I don't buy this RS are too busy crap though. They promised something nearly a month ago on upwind video... they've paid for professional footage and editing.... they've got a campaign theme running called 'spotlights'.... and has been pointed out, they sponsor this board and the editor started a thread just for them.

The infamous 'marketing machine' is firing on all cylinders, no such thing as bad publicity? Keeping us hungry maybe? A few Doubting Thomases are good for business in a sort of anti-hero way? Ready to release a series of clips that actually shows the boat at full tilt planing to windward off the rudder like a windsurf fin? Okay, maybe the last one is a stretch.... but they've already told us they're 'drip feeding', and here we all are, lapping it up talking shit like normal about their boat and keeping this thread bumped as we do it.

Despite the acronym, they're not a Load of Dumb Cocks.... they've got this dialled for what on paper, and by all expectation, is just a.n.other nice but not hugely challenging beach boat. If hi-tech and sprightly performance were what sold, then I guess they'd be more investment into the 300 marketing, as BoatShed says, it truly is an amazing work of design for its era and a gentle facelift would have been throughly lovely, even if it didn't sell.

The boat goes upwind really nicely guys. Can we move on?

RS video is coming out in about 2-3 weeks that highlights upwind only. But I think everyone should try for themselves :)

--

Got another pre-order for an Aero this week.

I don't know where they are worldwide, but I imagine it's into the hundreds and hundreds already.

Very cool to see so far.

The boat goes upwind really nicely guys. Can we move on?

RS video is coming out in about 2-3 weeks that highlights upwind only. But I think everyone should try for themselves :)

--

Got another pre-order for an Aero this week.

I don't know where they are worldwide, but I imagine it's into the hundreds and hundreds already.

Very cool to see so far.

Well based on all the BS so far, I image it is more likely to be into the 10s and 10s already

tough crowd. Perhaps why more manufacturers don't interact with the locals as much.... can seem like a thankless mission talking about a new product.

I've been posting on SA for 9 years now, and there is plenty of BS that has floated around.

I think this thread has been mostly free of it until the *upwind conspiracy people* started

RS is only going to talk positively about their boat and show it in the best light (this should hardly be a surprise).

I've done my best to show my customers with pre-orders what the boat is exactly like by going over and sailing it, and placing orders for 10 boats for fall delivery.

I'll let the RS guys chime in with sales figures, but it's way more than I expected at this early date.

tough crowd. Perhaps why more manufacturers don't interact with the locals as much.... can seem like a thankless mission talking about a new product.

I've been posting on SA for 9 years now, and there is plenty of BS that has floated around.

I think this thread has been mostly free of it until the *upwind conspiracy people* started

RS is only going to talk positively about their boat and show it in the best light (this should hardly be a surprise).

I've done my best to show my customers with pre-orders what the boat is exactly like by going over and sailing it, and placing orders for 10 boats for fall delivery.

I'll let the RS guys chime in with sales figures, but it's way more than I expected at this early date.

You have been talking out your arse and then complaining about conspiracy. Sounds like some of the politicians we have to deal with.

Really depends on what reputation you want to have- honest and factural or just after a sale.

How you go from here and how you are perceived is really up to you.

If you do as you have always done then you will get what you have always got!

Holy Christ there's some bollocks being talked on here.

Or so I thought.

Then I took an Aero out for a test sail. Man it didn't go up wind. Like not at all. I got off the boat and the RS rep asked what I thought. I said its crap up wind, like it doesn't actually go up wind. The RS rep thought for a mo, then told me that if I told anyone then they would chase me out of sailing, steal my dog and give my wife a new credit card in my name. They'd managed to get everyone else they'd ever let have a go to promise to never tell, they'd even managed to scare some into buying a boat and never telling anyone, and why do I think I was so special, and did I want one in light grey or dark white.

Man they're certainly persuasive.

Except that didn't happen.

No conspiracy George, just questions from folks who are a) potential customers and b- are keen to see more. In most industries thst would be called a gift horse- especially if the medium's via a channel you are also sponsoring, therefore have a degree of authority over.

I guess we'll all just have to be patient until you guys are ready to release your footage....

No conspiracy George, just questions from folks who are a) potential customers and b- are keen to see more.

"Gimee more video" isn't exactly a question. What questions do you think are unanswered?

As for upwind, I had quite a bit of opportunity to test that as tide was taking me to leeward at a couple of knots. Upwind felt good to me. Active steering/kinetics needed to prevent the light boat stopping in chop, like any dinghy but perhaps more so.

precisely... and Dogwatch, 'gimme more video' is/was a question, to which the response was 'you'll have to wait'... or 'drip feeding' to use the precise vernacular from Facebook.

It's the 21st century- video and new media isn't some new fangled technology anymore, it's an on demand world and I'm fairly confident the guys down there know that, hence why they've taken the step to sponsor Dinghy Anarchy and the reach it has.

The RS Sailing youtube channel that hosted that Irish fellow's comments was set up in Oct 2012, so yeah, questions will get asked if content is missing from it- for whatever reason- be that the drip feeding of a marketing machine milking out the hype, or that the footage captured so far doesn't really do the boat justice on that point of sail.

Thanks for your comments regarding upwind- that's a fair, succinct and welcomed appraisal of the questions asked.

...awwright,,enough already.....I know George of Westcoast well enough to say that he's a VERY genuine guy,,,and a VERY fair and honest business man...in my dealings with George,he's gone way beyond what's necessary to accommodate (what I'd admit to being some -ludicrous-) requests on my part over the years!
.....I participate in this thread as a passionate single-handed sailor,,a fan of George's,,,,and in knowing that the boat I'm pimping is apples/oranges to these centre-strap hikers. ....I'm pretty sure George has done as much as a dealer can to check out the boat ,,,give an honest review,,,,and likely said more already than RS might be comfortable with.
...it's always a curse to speak-too-soon about an upcoming project,,or hope of one,,,,SA's admins have long warned potential advertisers that it's a 'tough crowd',,right back to DinghyA's first advertiser...and that's there's a LOT more talk than 'bite' on these pages. All that said,,,RS made an announcement at the point that they've developed a boat and they make it available--seems like the 'right time' t'me....the RS machine probably has a production schedule that needs to accommodate demand flow of current classes...they likely made the boat 'public' in order to gauge the market's response and demand in order to place the production appropriately in their production schedule,,,and it seems they got quite a positive feedback in hard deposits for their -clearly- well timed announcement

.........but lack of demo comments makes them think odd things.

...such as the comments below?..

.........how much more will it be "pulling the boat around under you" rather than "moving about on top of the boat".

...aww,C'MON!.....is a light laser hull -harder- to sail through chop!!?----of course NOT!....people who race hard find a great benefit to a boat that's a few pounds lighter.Boats have minimum weights for a reason.Finns restrict how light the ends can be--people gave up experimenting with heavier ends -long- ago for some wave conditions..... -for a reason-!

....a lighter boat will be just that much more of an extension of the body's movements,,,,but being lighter,it'll require less body-force for a given maneuver.--nobody will find this to be a detriment once they get used to it. ...a place that a lighter hull could show a detriment would be the fact that a lighter hull -could- have less inherent stability,,,but a hardish chine,,and a more controllable modern rig should take care of this nicely.

precisely... and Dogwatch, 'gimme more video' is/was a question, to which the response was 'you'll have to wait'... or 'drip feeding' to use the precise vernacular from Facebook.

I'd expect people will find in a single test sail that the boat feels 'different',,,not being bad,,,but requiring an adjustment to a sailing style that we've taken in some cases -many- years to embody......only once boats are out there,,and sailors are working them such as they have lasers will any boat's true potential be seen....before that time,,,all video's and comments will reflect people -learning- a new ride

,,,,,so yeh,,,''you'll have to wait''.....till the world get's used to sailing a new millennial update to the basic ride :mellow:;)

precisely... and Dogwatch, 'gimme more video' is/was a question

No it isn't a question, it's a demand.

"Do you like red or white?" is a question. "Give me a drink" is a demand.

Booze is the answer! Now what was the question? Oh ya - there are actually two:

1) Does it go well to weather? Answer (without ever having seen a video) - yes. Why wouldn't it?

2) Why haven't RS done a video of the Aero going to weather? Answer - who cares. Maybe they don't like the footage they have. It'll be out soon enough. But it will have no impact on sales whatsoever.

Dark rum and coke for me.

jimmy kneewrecker, on 20 Jun 2014 - 18:57, said:

I'd rather have a Gin and Tonic is another answer, if we want to be a pedant over semantics.

It's not semantics. Refusing to answer a question would be suspicious. Declining to meet demands for particular kinds of video is not. I understand that right now, the focus of the RS sales team is running demos at sailing clubs, not creating further videos.

Except Dogwatch they have responded by saying they are drip feeding, not that it isn't available yet. But whatever, your actual feedback was great and its user feedback that drives my interest on consumer topics like this.

Dogwatch, is there a list of demo dates somewhere?

Don't think there is an up to date one. I emailed rs sales to arrange a demo and that event wasn't listed anywhere. I was told they can do demos most days at qmsc by arrangement.

I still think if Laser has the guts to modernise the boat with carbon tubes (very cheap nowadays) and a Hansen like square top main in laminate they will last another 25years.

And put some shape in the deck so it's not crippling, and use decent laminate schedule for the hull

It only took them ~30 yr to put an actual boom vang on, in place of the tinker-toy crap it had. Maybe in another 30 years... ... ...

FB- Doug

Sorry, have to disagree, it is only since the new vangs that laser sails (to my eye) have begun to look decent. When I sail now I constantly adjust my vang, something I rarely did with original style.

The original boom vang was pretty cost effective. Were there more or less lasers sailing with the old vang?

Depends on what you're happy with.

One of my favorite boats in my life was a knock-together plywood job; much of the rigging was clothesline. Sails were at least real sails, hand me downs from some long-vanished class racer. The boom vang was a doubled length of clothesline secured to boom and mast with timber hitches. It was better than nothing, and very cost effective too.

Nowadays my time is more valuable though. The time=money equation is more likely to be tilted in the direction of using money to buy myself more time doing things I like (such as adjusting sail controls while sailing so that the boat sails better). It's a free country, everyone can decide for themselves where they want to be one this curve. But a GOOD boom vang is really not all that expensive.

FB- Doug

I still think if Laser has the guts to modernise the boat with carbon tubes (very cheap nowadays) and a Hansen like square top main in laminate they will last another 25years.

.....sorta like an RS or Dero?? :mellow:<_<

How about like this? Watch the Lexus ad - And, no, I don't have any upwind footage...

http://campbellsailing.com/?p=754

What is Lexus trying to hide?

Good question, Dex. I notice the Lexus in the video is hardly going uphill at all. Same with the skiers and cyclists. This could be deeper than we originally thought.

How about like this? Watch the Lexus ad - And, no, I don't have any upwind footage...

Good question, Dex. I notice the Lexus in the video is hardly going uphill at all. Same with the skiers and cyclists. This could be deeper than we originally thought.

That's because most cars can't go uphill at all. Just like most sailing boats can't go upwind.

That's because most cars can't go uphill at all. Just like most sailing boats can't go upwind.

So, are you saying cars go uphill more slowly than down? I'm never buying a car that does that. Why has no car company ever admitted to that? Are all people from car companies of questionable morals?

If I phone them up to complain, will they either go out and video their car going slowly up hill to verify this, or will they alternatively spend their time trying to sell their cars to someone who actually might buy one?

So, are you saying cars go uphill more slowly than down? I'm never buying a car that does that. Why has no car company ever admitted to that? Are all people from car companies of questionable morals?

If I phone them up to complain, will they either go out and video their car going slowly up hill to verify this, or will they alternatively spend their time trying to sell their cars to someone who actually might buy one?

I wonder who manufactured these skis?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZBRXWkj-A

Better than the original

Still dragging the old hull along. lot to be said for a new rig tho.

Can't doubt the Aero goes upwind - Just want to see it next to other boats. Whats hiking like? We want to know. Same goes for Devoti boat, but there is at least published video and comments. Must be time for someone to get theirs and see how they do against others.

Six months time it may be clear. Any yardsticks been talked about?

Gurnard SC were doing some handicap racing with Aeros earlier in the year. They were racing in the medium handicap fleet along with Lasers and Laser Radials. They were using PY numbers of 1040 for the RS Aero 9 and 1065 for the RS Aero 7. Not sure how they arrived at those.

Demo at Grafham this weekend coming up (28/06)- you might need to contact RS to book on as Grafham demos are sometimes members only things.

Ballyholme was this weekend just gone and you've missed the demo at Reading Sailing Club. Good BBQ apparently.

I see Hayling Island are rating the Aero 9 at 1007, Aero 7 at 1025, and Aero 5 at 1060. All look very good - now how to grow three new fleets....

If you look back in this thread, you'll find some (limited) race results. Bearing in mind nobody has yet raced the Aero much, I'm not sure how meaningful they are.

The overall impression I get from the various reports is that the Aero 9 is a bit faster than the Laser, which is not surprising given its lighter weight and greater sail area.

Looking forward to a test sail in Carnac (west coast of France) in a couple of weeks. The one I have on order is apparently scheduled for production around the end of July. :-)

If you look back in this thread, you'll find some (limited) race results. Bearing in mind nobody has yet raced the Aero much, I'm not sure how meaningful they are.

Meaningful how? I don't think anybody is looking for foiler speeds. However the Laser is well-known, tuning & technique for sailing it is well developed. If the Aero is beating the Laser out of the box then it's safe to say it goes OK. More will come!

FB- Doug

Sailed an Aero 7 today in light winds at Grafham Water (the 9 was busy so didn't get the chance to try that). Shock horror - it does go upwind ;-) and very nicely too.

It really is incredibly light - it takes off on the slightest puff of wind and was faster in light conditions than ought to be possible. I was expecting it to be very tippy, but actually found it remarkably stable. Nice light neutral feel to the rudder and we'll placed control lines. Am seriously considering buying one, but will try the D-Zero first (tomorrow)