Hi all,

As best I can tell, there was an article on the Aero written for Yachting magazine, (or some similar name). I have gone to their site, and as best I can tell I cannot purchase the backissue electronically, and it is not widely distributed in North America. Does anyone have a way I can find a reprint? (I have seen the related youtube video, some time ago). Feel free to respond via private email if links, etc are disabled here, or send to chuck *dot* linn *at* gmail.com.

Thanks,

Chuck

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I could sell mine and get another. That has always been my fleet building plan.  Send me a text or email and we can discuss condition, associated goodies, and price. 

Aero Sailing Week happening now in Jensen Beach, FL. 28 Aeros were registered but some have dropped out due to COVID concerns. This pas weekend was Aero Florida State Champs and this upcomin

Threatening.... i like that choice of terms  I still haven’t dumped the thing . It seems it is  forgiving of all sins  if you just let go of the  mainsheet and sit  in the cockpit  i have do

Posted Images

Hi all,

As best I can tell, there was an article on the Aero written for Yachting magazine, (or some similar name). I have gone to their site, and as best I can tell I cannot purchase the backissue electronically, and it is not widely distributed in North America. Does anyone have a way I can find a reprint? (I have seen the related youtube video, some time ago). Feel free to respond via private email if links, etc are disabled here, or send to chuck *dot* linn *at* gmail.com.

Thanks,

Chuck

Is this the link you're looking for? http://rssailing.com/uploads/files/092014/5411b3a07117491211000002/original/RS_Aero_YY_Test.pdf?1410446240

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chuck

Is this the link you're looking for? http://rssailing.com/uploads/files/092014/5411b3a07117491211000002/original/RS_Aero_YY_Test.pdf?1410446240

Worth bearing in mind a Y&Y review hasn't criticised any boat in the last 20 years, including some pretty awful boats

Thanks for the link - didn't find it on the RS site when I looked a while ago. And comments re. the mag and reviewer noted. If you ask me, both RS and D-zero (at their respective price points) look like great boats. My ideal boat would be a hybrid of the two - everyone is different (I'd take the RS mainsheet arrangement (non-stern) and (perhaps) the DS hull - but without the back angled "slice" off, which I assume they did to prevent it from catching the sheet). The rigs themselves will be a matter of opinion.

Hey West Coast Sailing, When ordering an RS Aero, do you guys have trailer and dolly you would recommend for the boat? Also, I haven't gone back through the forum, but the mast is a one-piece, correct?

Will WCS be getting a demo boat that I could come down (from Seattle) and test sometime?

Thanks guys!

Right-on Trailer has a road base

http://www.rightontrailer.com/dolly-trailer-system/

Dynamic Dollies supports a dozen boats from the RS line, don't see one for the Aero yet.

http://dynamicdollies.com/dollies/

From the Boat reviewer / Class Manager:

I think the developing fleet will have a lot of fun experimenting with various angles upwind to see if and when cracking off a little and going for speed to promote upwind planing is viable over the a high pointing mode.

I'm looking forward to seeing all this upwind planing......

looks like the first two boats are landing on the east coast this week to debut at Annapolis Boat Show (cutting it right down to the wire for the show display!)

Expecting first container to arrive on the west coast late this year.

• 1 month later...

Brief update: Our first container from RS including Aeros is on the way to the west coast. I wasn't able to get all the boats I wanted, but the first batch of customers with deposits down will be getting their boats near the end of the year.

I'll post some photos of the arrival and packaging detail, as it will be my first time seeing fully packaged/production ready hulls.

I brought in some of the UK dollies (and trailer), as well as having the more popular Dynamic Dollies on the way. Will compare them all.

Thanks for the link Wavedancer II and the advice jimmy. I think it's fair to say that my Laser "boat re-entry" technique didn't work for me on an Aero but I suspect that by using the sheet I could probably find a way that does work.

Now where can I get some time in an Aero somewhere warm this winter?

Thanks for the link Wavedancer II and the advice jimmy.

no worries, and whilst it was posted to add some balance, it's worth noting that my experience was based on single-handing a highly experimental Cherub/R-Class derivative with three sails and 25+M of sail area.... not something marketed as a beach boat to every man, woman and child too big for their Tera.

Those capsize vids (and others) with full narrative explanations and tips are all posted on the Class Forum

http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=4&tid=6969

and on the RS Aero Class Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsaeroclass/ .

These are year 2014 boats with feather weight carbon rigs and super light epoxy/carbon hulls.
Some old rules don't apply and some are varied!
We are re-writing the conventional playbook here which is very exciting!

What are the plans For Aero in Australia ?

Are there demo days, dates and locations ?

When will boats be in country ?

My info is that first RS Aero's arrive in Australia beginning December. Only 10 more sleeps!

Container of 20 in Feb and another container before Easter.

Tom at Sailing Raceboats www.rssailing.com/au is your man for more info.

I am looking forward to being invited to a 'Lift-Off' event!

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/180113/RS-Aeros-at-the-Bowmoor-Bubble

Those capsize vids (and others) with full narrative explanations and tips are all posted on the Class Forum

http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=4&tid=6969

and on the RS Aero Class Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsaeroclass/ .

These are year 2014 boats with feather weight carbon rigs and super light epoxy/carbon hulls.
Some old rules don't apply and some are varied!
We are re-writing the conventional playbook here which is very exciting!

Thanks for posting these videos Peter. Having failed at my first attempts at capsize recoveries in an Aero (at Minorca Sailing) I am looking forward to applying the lessons from these videos and succeeding at capsize recoveries when I get a chance to demo the RS Aero in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Unwrapped our new boats last Thursday, brilliantly presented with foils in a polystyrene molded box, simple to follow instructions all control lines ready run etc. The first boat took about an hour and a half to assemble, but like flat pack furniture, number two took half that time.

!st Sail in Australia on Friday by Jessica Watson, weighing in at about 45kilos (98 lbs). She tried the Aero 7 which she managed well, but felt that at over 10 knots breeze a 5 would suit her better. It is the tubby's turn ( 95 kg) next week!

Some more British winter High Wind video. This time from from Hayling Island at the RS Aero/Tera training this weekend.

The RS Aero5 squad was joined by some RS Aero/Tera parents who have bought boats rather than be left on the shore and some of the Hayling Aero fleet which helps keep the youngsters on their toes!

Like AndyP says - those 5 rigs are impressive when the breeze is up. If a '5' sailor is less overpowered than the bigger rigs upwind and can plane hard downwind then they can be hard to catch.

Flyhigh -

Over the weekend the 5 sailors were between 38-62kg.

On the windy day our 38kg sailor still had a lot of fun reaching (frequented by capsizes) but could not race upwind effectively.

The heavier sailors around 60kg were dong better than the 50kg sailors on the windy day. They were faster upwind and the tight reaches played to their advantage with no marginal planing for the lighter sailors to catch back up on.

The 5 sail is actually 5.2m2. With a lighter hull there is less resistance and the rig is very de-powerable, so maybe the sailor weights required are similar to 4.7s.

The cold and windy season is upon us...

Windy pics in 20-34kn over moderately aggressive chop, 18-19kn speed by adjacent rib for about a minute through the chop! RS Aero 7 with 78kg sailor;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.608397745973481&type=1

Some upwind footage in about 18kn and some chop, RS Aero 7 with 78kg sailor;

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=790986464271261

big thanks (and copyright on pics) to LPB Aerial Imagery

The lines going aft must be vang and cunningham? Why the same colour? I get the whole black carbon thing, but a lot easier to work out which is which by colour.

Those lines would be for the outhaul and cunningham. If you look closely, one has some red in it and the other line has some blue in it. The vang is centralized right in front of the daggerboard.

I never got a sense of how well defined the footwell was in the pics and videos I have seen. The first two photos in each post show it clearly. Looks very nice! The Aero water bottle is a nice touch!

Another aspect of the boat I never noticed before was the non stick on the cockpit area and forward where you would kneel during very light wind sailing. It really is very well thought out. I can hardly wait to get mine in the spring.

First 4 boats shipped out to SoCal today, boat show boat rigged up.

More boats leaving next week, and a lot more coming.

Interesting that there appears to be a Rooster 8.1 rigged laser in the background of that photo. Would have thought that flogging those rigs out there would be easy, or not!

Interesting that there appears to be a Rooster 8.1 rigged laser in the background of that photo. Would have thought that flogging those rigs out there would be easy, or not!

They are a cheap way to turbo charge a Laser for sure. there is also the new Square top option from Intensity floating around. I think it sits on standard spars. it looks nice.

They are a cheap way to turbo charge a Laser for sure. there is also the new Square top option from Intensity floating around. I think it sits on standard spars. it looks nice.

Looks fun

intensity-sails-power-head-sail-for-the-

First real live Aero customer review in SoCal:

I “sailed” in no wind and rain on Saturday, but had a decent breeze on Sunday.

I have no regrets. The boat is fantastic. The light weight, easy rigging, great controls are all perfect.

I’m looking forward to many happy sailing days.

- Jim M.

First real live Aero customer review in SoCal:

I “sailed” in no wind and rain on Saturday, but had a decent breeze on Sunday.

I have no regrets. The boat is fantastic. The light weight, easy rigging, great controls are all perfect.

I’m looking forward to many happy sailing days.

- Jim M.

And here's the best picture I have of the first sail, coming in for a landing...

post-10009-0-59862500-1421432107_thumb.jpg

Yeah but for RS, UK is home turf, so of course they are probably going to get great service.

In my case our shed is looking to replace 3 Lasers and 1 Spiral. So they are doing themselves out of a potential sale of 4 hulls and 2 extra rigs (aprox $45k) while they faff around not announcing tests days. We need to be able to say specifically how much money we need and what we are purchasing before we start raising money to satisfy legal criteria.

At this point in time, as much as I want us to have light, self draining boats that stack easily, its a case of the devil you know ie Spirals.

Of course we might test sail and say "Aero, hell no!", but until we've sailed it............

Yeah but for RS, UK is home turf, so of course they are probably going to get great service.

In my case our shed is looking to replace 3 Lasers and 1 Spiral. So they are doing themselves out of a potential sale of 4 hulls and 2 extra rigs (aprox $45k) while they faff around not announcing tests days. We need to be able to say specifically how much money we need and what we are purchasing before we start raising money to satisfy legal criteria.

At this point in time, as much as I want us to have light, self draining boats that stack easily, its a case of the devil you know ie Spirals.

Of course we might test sail and say "Aero, hell no!", but until we've sailed it............

Disappointing to hear this, I looked at one at Sail Melb, pretty wow, but ultimately, someone has to sell them.

I am surprised to hear that. We have had great service. Clearly you can cancel, but most boat builders I have had boats from don't contact you until the boats ready and they need full payment. There were plenty of well publicised demos around the UK and as far as I know they have continued. Clearly there is a lot of demand - I was told on Sunday that they have 650 orders now and are producing 20 a week, so trying to keep up.

I have sailed them a few times now and they are really great boats for all ages and sizes, so I'd definately try one.

Unpacked my actual boat yesterday and its all very well presented - takes a few hours to run all the lines and the blocks though.

Unpacked my actual boat yesterday and its all very well presented - takes a few hours to run all the lines and the blocks though.

Really? Last time I picked up a new boat from RS everything was already rigged and good to go.... had it been by a slipway all I had to do was bang the sail up and I could go sailing.

I've heard the rigging manual is well put together.... not much point for what, 80% of the punters though. Blokes don't read manuals.

I'm not sure that a PM via a forum is your best way to contact a dealer about a boat purchase.

Tom in Australia is a quite an organized guy, so I'd suggest a proper email if you want information / demo plans:

Tom AT sailingraceboats.com.au

--

Also, we take deposits from people for all sorts of boats, and don't send them 'thank you's'.

They know what they are buying, and we keep in touch as production of their boat occurs, ships to us, etc.

But, we have hundreds of customers buying boats, which means RS has thousands.... so I wouldn't expect a personal note at every stage.

--

Boat builders (and dealers) aren't perfect, but, we all try quite hard to give our customers an excellent experience from deposit to delivery.

Sorry you had a bad go of it elsewhere, but, generally speaking, it's a fun process for customers from placing their order to their first day of sailing.

Hi Guys in Australia

Many apologies, although Sailing Anarchy is a great medium I am not an expert at using it.

Here are the facts:-

There are 20 Aeros with a full selection of rigs, arriving with us in Melbourne in the next three weeks, plus a further 20 scheduled before Easter, so there will be plenty to go around.

We are currently appointing demonstration agents for the Aero in each State, with ourselves covering Victoria.

Of the four boats we received mid December there is one in Sydney, and we currently have three here in Victoria, with two being demonstrated at the Bic National Championships at Sandringham and one at Geelong Festival of Sails.

Our long term agent in Sydney will be delighted to arrange a demonstration just for you. Contact them either by phone 0405 979 730 or Email [email protected], Any enquiries for trial sails or other information don't hesitate to contact me direct on 0487 780 706 or Email [email protected] and I will be able to help.

Woodman,

"takes a few hours to run all the lines and the blocks though".

Seriously? I think you must have stopped for a nice lunch! ;) . I did it myself a month ago, routinely working through the 60 page manual, and I reckon about 90 minutes, plus sail numbers. Those pages in the manual turn over pretty quickly as you put the simple bits together. With all the diagrams and descriptions it is every bit as simple as a flat pack from IKEA - but a lot more enjoyable for being a sailing boat!

That 90 mins is just about the right time to form a bond with your new boat and wet your appetite for the first sail.

Next time a boat arrives I'll get the stopwatch out, but tying everything off and running lines, fitting blocks etc there is now a 90 minute challenge ! I include putting a sail up and checking everything works. You also have to allow for checking other boats to see how they have done it. I'd say allow 2.5 hours as a min, but challenge ( and the owner has to do it with no external assistance ) of 90 minutes is on. :P

chaps, not meaning to take the piss, but.... likening your lovely new sailing product to Ikea furniture? Really? Next you'll be saying it comes with spaghetti and meatballs and that RS have installed a soft play centre to drop the kids off while you go sailing. Now actually, there's a thought......

No he means all you need is this

handy-053.jpg?w=600&h=449

Is Ikea selling Aero's now?

RS now has 5 molds up and running and are producing 20x Aeros a week.

It sounds like they are 650 sold so far since launch in the fall.

Not quite correct. The boat was launched at the RYA Dinghy show in the UK in March 2014. The sales figures you quote are since then not since 'fall' 2014 (just for perspective). Impressive figures for a new boat though.

Is the 650 figure hulls or rigs? Because, of course, the Aero is actually three boats. You could ask how many Zeros, Radials and Toppers have been sold in that time.

All sales count, obviously, but I suspect a fair few Aeros have gone to centres and schools.

Out of interest I wonder how many Lasers have been sold since March 14?

I'd pick an Aero over a Laser any day if buying new!

Not quite correct. The boat was launched at the RYA Dinghy show in the UK in March 2014. The sales figures you quote are since then not since 'fall' 2014 (just for perspective). Impressive figures for a new boat though.

For one hemisphere, "fall" (which is more likely to be called autumn, at least in English), occurs around March to May inclusive. For a very large number of people living near the equator, the notion of autumn is essentially meaningless. B)

For one hemisphere, "fall" (which is more likely to be called autumn, at least in English), occurs around March to May inclusive. For a very large number of people living near the equator, the notion of autumn is essentially meaningless. B)

West Coast are a US company.

For which the notion of English is essentially meaningless :-)

Edit- "attacking" us not WC here. (full disclosure, I'm american)

Is the 650 figure hulls or rigs? Because, of course, the Aero is actually three boats. You could ask how many Zeros, Radials and Toppers have been sold in that time.

point taken, but in reality it seems people are picking and choosing their rigs on the day (those folks where it's not immediately obvious which rig to use 99% of the time).

650 is a great number ....

Best case scenario: 650 more potentially equal matched boats to race a D-Zero against.

Worst case scenario: 650 less fucking Lasers to pollute the market in 10-15 years time.

For which the notion of English is essentially meaningless :-)

Edit- "attacking" us not WC here. (full disclosure, I'm american)

Not attacking anyone. Fall in Oz would be right...fall in the US was not right. You know us brits love our colonial cousins ;-) (by 'fall' I do of course mean Autumn)....

650 is complete, individual boats sold - not 'rigs'

I don't know how many have been delivered yet, I bet it's only 300 or so? Production ramp takes a while, and I think the last two molds only came online last month (my guess).

For what it's worth, about 50% of my customers are ordering two rigs with their boats (7 + 9 or 7 + 5)

US launch is actually not meant to - officially - happen until March, 2015. (two months from now).

Personally, I count a boat 'launch' as actually shipping boats. Not talking about shipping boats.

Regardless, it's a lot of boats.

And, customers don't seem to be leaving Lasers. Many are getting an Aero as a second boat, to see what happens, and for fun sailing.

Some very high level Laser sailors have ordered boats, but, they aren't planning to ditch their Lasers.

In 2-3 years, when there are thousand of Aeros around, who knows.

But for 2015 at least, I don't see the Aero as a threat to Laser fleets at all.

Also, a lot of customers buying Aeros have been out of dinghy sailing for a while. They are 'new again' sailors getting back into dinghy sailing.