Easter; when Jesus crawled out of his hole today,

pro from dover

I take it you're an atheist.

Nobody else seems to start religious threads,

Remember, atheists are very tolerant of other peoples beliefs and get picked on a lot. They would never start a religious thread to pick a fight or be unkind.

That's what all the other atheist threads say anyway.

I had a delightful 11 hour shift at work this Easter.

Though envious, i truly hope all those who celebrated had a good day with family.

That said, Christians stole the name from the Saxons who celebrated the holiday in praise to the goddess Eastur (multiple spellings, names ect a crossed Europe). Spring in general was marked with a celebration of fertility just about worldwide by every religion, ya know with bunnies and eggs -n- stuff. Much like decorating pine trees, traditions continue. As they should, as far as i am concerned.

To say Easter overall somehow "belongs" to christians is rather silly, when it would seem like all of the pagan overtones would have the bible thumpers demanding the holiday, as it is observed by most, be kept out of schools. Yet our friends at Fox were very concerned with a few schools and Easter egg hunts. Not because of the ties to pagan symbolism, but because they felt it was an attack on christians not to proceed with them?

Strangeness of that aside, it doesn't really matter, if you are celebrating the resurrection, freedom from Egyptian slavery, some ancient goddess or just spring itself. A ritualized family celebration is good on its own merits and i was sad to miss it.

I had a delightful 11 hour shift at work this Easter.

Though envious, i truly hope all those who celebrated had a good day with family.

That said, Christians stole the name from the Saxons who celebrated the holiday in praise to the goddess Eastur (multiple spellings, names ect a crossed Europe). Spring in general was marked with a celebration of fertility just about worldwide by every religion, ya know with bunnies and eggs -n- stuff. Much like decorating pine trees, traditions continue. As they should, as far as i am concerned.

To say Easter overall somehow "belongs" to christians is rather silly, when it would seem like all of the pagan overtones would have the bible thumpers demanding the holiday, as it is observed by most, be kept out of schools. Yet our friends at Fox were very concerned with a few schools and Easter egg hunts. Not because of the ties to pagan symbolism, but because they felt it was an attack on christians not to proceed with them?

Strangeness of that aside, it doesn't really matter, if you are celebrating the resurrection, freedom from Egyptian slavery, some ancient goddess or just spring itself. A ritualized family celebration is good on its own merits and i was sad to miss it.

Great post!

did he see his shadow ? And does that mean there is more winter or less winter to come?

Are you an asshole or are you and asshole?

did he see his shadow ? And does that mean there is more winter or less winter to come?

Are you an asshole or are you and asshole?

Are you and asshole..... what? Good god man, finish the sentence!

We don't actually know whether Jesus was a chocolate bunny zombie.

But it is an interesting question.

Why are so many atheists such assholes? It’s an interesting question.

Why are so many atheists such assholes? It’s an interesting question.

We have to substitute something to fill the void of self righteousness.

I had a great Easter with family and it was actually not snowing or freezing or otherwise polar-vortexing us to death for once.

I am not really one for baiting religious people for no reason. As my brother just told me last night, if whatever your religion happens to be helps you be a better person, then go for it.

I can see going after say a "pro-torture pro-war" christian or other Christians who totally ignore anything Christ said.

Just taking a nice holiday and making fun of whatever religion made it for no reason at all is kind of a dick move.

If someone wished me a happy Ganesh Festival Day I might smile and say thanks without launching into a diatribe about worshipping elephant gods or whatever....

Where you sit

Your cup runneth over.

That's funny....well played no matter where you sit.

Your cup runneth over.

That's funny....well played no matter where you sit.

Where you "sit" has never mattered to me. You don't need to sell me on yours, I don't need to sell you mine.

I think the atheists are just trolling. After midfight mass. :P

Atheists on this board have a lot in common with radical Islam. Zero tolerance of Christians

We also believe we get a virgin in the afterlife for every Christian we offend here.

So atheists believe in afterlife now?

Atheists on this board have a lot in common with radical Islam. Zero tolerance of Christians

We also believe we get a virgin in the afterlife for every Christian we offend here.

It's actually more an after party.

It's actually more an after party.

Until the virgin gets pregnant..

Possibly…... atheists, non-theists, agnostics, etc. just don't have any proof or profess to have the answer for something they don't "know" or can "prove". And I'm sure they don't believe in a book written and re-edited again and again by fallible men. An afterlife/party is a nice thought thought.

Remember, atheists are very tolerant of other peoples beliefs and get picked on a lot. They would never start a religious thread to pick a fight or be unkind.

Hey, if I offended I certainly did not mean that.

I'll apologize at the drop of a hat if that's needed.

My sis is a reverend and we get loose with our banter, as I don't believe but don't care about what either of us believe. It's not my business.

We did tell jokes both ways over social. It's kind of a tradition.

Didn't offend me. I think everyone is entitled to their beliefs, whatever they may be. As someone posted earlier, my Faith helps me be the kind of person I want to be.

I also believe that there is a HUGE difference between faith and religion!

WL

Easter was 4/20 this year. I celebrated in Colorado. Do the math.

Pilots license ok with that?

Assume makes an Ass out U and me.

Sounds like he did the math. How is that an assumption?

420 is the anniversary of the columbine massacre In Colorado.

So according to your previous post you "celebrated" 4/20?

You are one fucked in the head person SE!

There are two ways to mark the anniversary of a tragic event.

Mourn the dead or celebrate their brief time on earth. One is positive, the other negative. You choose.

Mourn the dead or celebrate their brief time on earth. One is positive, the other negative. You choose.

2198270_o.gif

Ya might wanta glance over your shoulder before you run into something behind you.

So people celebrate Easter. Easter marks the execution and resurrection of Jesus. Why do pro-life Christians celebrate the execution of someone who was against the death penalty?

Perhaps they celebrate the life, not the death. How is that different than celebrating the lives of those who lost their's at Columbine?

Interesting but wrong. For Christians, Easter is the celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Then why do they use the symbology of the execution device as their icon? Festooned on every chapel, hanging from every neck. Ever been in a Catholic church? Looks like a chamber of horrors, the depictions of the execution.

If Jesus had be executed with a noose, would that be the symbol of Christianity?

Obama is Jesus's chocolate bunny.

I avoid Catholic Churchs for exactly that reason - 12 stations of horror. (which is hard to do, as my father is an elder something-or-other at his church)

Anyway, whenever I see a cross on someone as jewelry, I wonder if they would wear a little guillotine similarly.

2198270_o.gif

What does his pot smoking have to do with it?

BTW, I'm not sure the FAA has any prohibition on pot smoking. There are rules against drinking and flying.

The use of alcohol and drugs by pilots is regulated by FAR 91.17. Among other provisions, this regulation states that no person may operate or attempt to operate an aircraft:

• within 8 hours of having consumed alcohol

• while under the influence of alcohol

• with a blood alcohol content of 0.04% or greater

• while using any drug that adversely affects safety

2198270_o.gif

What does his pot smoking have to do with it?

This is what pot has to do with 4/20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

Speaking of Jesus and Easter, I heard this fascinating interview on NPR last week. The author is a Distinquished professor of religious studies at UNC Chapel Hill. But his stances will totally surprise you.

Click listen to the story

It will challenge both Christian and atheists beliefs alike. Well worth a listen. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this!

Care to start derogatory threads for the celebrated days of other religions as well? Or you do that for just Christianity?

Hey, if I offended I certainly did not mean that.

I'll apologize at the drop of a hat if that's needed.

My sis is a reverend and we get loose with our banter, as I don't believe but don't care about what either of us believe. It's not my business.

We did tell jokes both ways over social. It's kind of a tradition.

I really don't have enough vested in religion to be personally offended by the content of the remark. I also have a sense that your comments are not mean-spirited but founded in your humor as you've described. But my experience here is that is not the case quite often. I think many times.....including in this case the OP....that a thread is started for the express purpose of demeaning things other people hold dear. Other than our Happy friend I cannot recall a thread started to demean atheists beliefs yet this and other threads are initiated for the express purpose of doing that to religious persons. While the OP does not offend me based on content, I find it distasteful on intent and purpose. Its one thing to get into a heated discussion that escalates to sarcasm....although it usually ends useful dialogue and exchange of ideas, it seems understandable, and in fact I've fallen prey to that myself. Its quite another to initiate a demeaning thread for the sole purpose of being unkind. That's a sign of weakness and the need to feel superior at another's expense. And......the oft used excuse for being mean....."I'm just direct"......or "I'm somehow a bad ass intellectual because I am able to avoid political correctness in all I say and do".....is just an excuse to rationalize being a dick and does not serve any useful purpose or add anything to any discussion.

Once again, I never get that vib from your posts and mean those comments in general not directed at you, just as my original post was not quoting you. I hope you can see the difference.

+ 1.

When I see threads like this I think it's a good thing Jesus taught to turn the other cheek. Because that type of insult directed at Mohamed in a Islamic majority country would be handled a whole lot differently than a web site debate. Be glad you Christian bashers that WE still believe in the constitution and free speach over our religeous tenants.

+ 1.

When I see threads like this I think it's a good thing Jesus taught to turn the other cheek. Because that type of insult directed at Mohamed in a Islamic majority country would be handled a whole lot differently than a web site debate. Be glad you Christian bashers that WE still believe in the constitution and free speach over our religeous tenants.

For someone who turns the cheek, you sure turn a nasty one when people call you out.

+ 1.

Fortunately, the founding fathers saw what the Christians are capable of and defanged them.

+ 1.

Fortunately, the founding fathers saw what the Christians are capable of and defanged them.

For many, relegion has been replaced by the State...coffee1.gif

I heard it last week. Not sure why it challenges my lack of belief.

Ok, "challenge" may not have been the best term. But its very thought provoking and I found myself constantly saying to myself "I did not know that".

Yeah - smart dude, seems to have approached the whole question from a fact based perspective. His argument that "miracles" are outside of history is interesting to a non-historian - but I suppose historians already know that stuff.

Yeah - smart dude, seems to have approached the whole question from a fact based perspective. His argument that "miracles" are outside of history is interesting to a non-historian - but I suppose historians already know that stuff.

What I like about it is that he did the book from a history based perspective rather than a religious perspective - yet leaves those questions open for the reader to decide on the religious aspect. I find the historical context of Jesus fascinating, but the greater context of the times is really important to the narrative. I would be interested to hear a theologians take on his historical account, as I don't think many religious scholars dispute his facts - just that they assign differing interpretations to those events than a pure historian would.

I hope you can see the difference.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure it was clear that my position is I really don't care.

As a sage man once said, "I'm not here for a long time. I'm just here for a good time."

As I’m just here for the pussy… coffee1.gif

No ofence to Mark K. Spittle Ed or Bad.. To each is own.

Archived