Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was a really good, sailboat related thread until you, A4E/dg_sailingfan, came here to barf your DB hate into it as well. What a sick troll you are that needs to poison each and ever thread with

You could be right, but I don't remember if there was a lift next to Christies. That might have been Williams and Manchester, which I think had only a single lift. Dennis was based at Williams and Man

Speaking of 12s from 1987...  this is one of the AMERICA II boats, sitting at New England Boat Works in Portsmouth RI.   I was at the yard the other day and there was a ladder in place and she wasn't

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Not yet! When I decided to go they closed museums... And it's a year now

ahh cool mate, hope you can get there when they do eventually reopen, whenever that may be :)

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Il primo amore non si scorda mai.

That screen grab is hanging in the lift at Newport Shipyard (Newport Offshore) in 1983. My office was about 75m away from that spot back then.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, accnick said:

That screen grab is hanging in the lift at Newport Shipyard (Newport Offshore) in 1983. My office was about 75m away from that spot back then.

I was a young boy back in 1983, but almost every day I bought the "La Stampa" newspaper because there was a page with coverage of the AC! I can't remember any live tv coverage until 1992 with the Moro di Venezia in Sand Diego.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, accnick said:

The perspective and dock make it look more like the one that was in front of Christies 

1 minute ago, RImike said:

The perspective and dock make it look more like the one that was in front of Christies 

You could be right, but I don't remember if there was a lift next to Christies. That might have been Williams and Manchester, which I think had only a single lift. Dennis was based at Williams and Manchester in 1980 and 1983, as I recall. 

There were at least three boats that sat on hoists at Newport Offshore, including Australia II. Other boats came in there to be lifted out on the Travelift for work as well. It was pretty much ground zero.

All the speculation that summer was on what was underneath A II. At least one boat put a set of plywood wings on the bottom of the keel to try out. They might have fallen off the first time the boat got over 3 knots.

It was a fantastic, busy summer.

Living in Newport during the 1974, 1977, 1980, and 1983 Cups was a great experience. I was lucky enough to have friends at many of the US teams in that period, and access was totally different from what it is today.

My dog even had an Intrepid dock pass fastened to her collar, and I frequently tied up my dinghy to their work float. We had a big old former Q-class sloop that we lived aboard sitting on a mooring off Newport Offshore in those days.

In 1980, Bob Blumenstock (NYYC measurer) used to sit on a folding chair next to the Newport Offshore office under an umbrella, with a cooler of Heineken next to the chair, waiting for work.

It was all a very different game back then.

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, accnick said:

You could be right, but I don't remember if there was a lift next to Christies. That might have been Williams and Manchester, which I think had only a single lift. Dennis was based at Williams and Manchester in 1980 and 1983, as I recall. 

There were at least three boats that sat on hoists at Newport Offshore, including Australia II. Other boats came in there to be lifted out on the Travelift for work as well. It was pretty much ground zero.

All the speculation that summer was on what was underneath A II. At least one boat put a set of plywood wings on the bottom of the keel to try out. They might have fallen off the first time the boat got over 3 knots.

Living in Newport during the 1974, 1977, 1980, and 1983 Cups was a great experience. I was lucky enough to have friends at many of the US teams in that period, and access was totally different from what it is today.

My dog even had an Intrepid dock pass fastened to her collar, and I frequently tied up my dinghy to their work float. We had a big old former Q-class sloop that we lived aboard sitting on a mooring off Newport Offshore in those days.

In 1980, Bob Blumenstock (NYYC measurer) used to sit on a folding chair next to the Newport Offshore office under an umbrella, with a cooler of Heineken next to the chair, waiting for work.

Great stories mate, thanks for sharing :)

5 hours ago, accnick said:

anIt was all a very different game back then.

Great memories.  The Moorings shoreside in those early years was a decrepit weed-filled lot and the bar and dock not much better. At least it helped simplify  moving the Clark Cook House from it's Thames St location down to its present home.

14 hours ago, accnick said:

I might be thinking of Williams and Manchester. I will have to go back and look at the photos, I have seen hundred and at a certain point I can't remember which is which because the landscaped has changed so much and they weren't documented.

I love hearing stories like this. Talk about stories, when my father in law and his friends get together that he won the cup with on Intrepid, they go on for hours.

Just when I thought I had heard them all I am amazed when I hear new ones. 

9 minutes ago, RImike said:

I might be thinking of Williams and Manchester. I will have to go back and look at the photos, I have seen hundred and at a certain point I can't remember which is which because the landscaped has changed so much and they weren't documented.

I love hearing stories like this. Talk about stories, when my father in law and his friends get together that he won the cup with on Intrepid, they go on for hours.

Just when I thought I had heard them all I am amazed when I hear new ones. 

Photos trigger memories.

The Newport waterfront has changed so much over the years that it's easy to forget what was where even 10 years ago, much less 40 years ago. What I will never forget is the day that Australia II lifted the AC, and the amount of stunned disbelief at the formal presentation of the Cup to them a day or so later, in stifling heat on the lawn of one of the Newport mansions.

I only go to Newport a couple of times a year now, but what used to be a waterfront filled with boatyards, lobster and fish brokers, greasy spoons, small trades (welders, woodworkers, etc) has been gentrified beyond all recognition.

Speaking of greasy spoons, one that has survived on Thames is Gary's Handy Lunch. Forty years ago, it was Sal's Handy Lunch, and it was pretty common to see AC crews in there downing a big breakfast back before intense physical conditioning became the order of the day. You can tell how long someone has lived in Newport by whether they refer to it as Sal's or Gary's.

One of the best things that has changed on the waterfront was the creation of IYRS. The conversion of Harbour Court from John Nicholas Brown's family home to a station of the NYYC was another big positive change.

When the Navy reduced their footprint there many years ago, there was a hue and cry that the town was dead. When the AC went away in 1983, some saw it as the end of the world.

The town just keeps re-inventing itself, but the harbor is still the center of it all, at least for sailors.

If your father-in-law was an Intrepid crew member, there's a good chance I know him. The marine industry in the Newport area is still full of former AC crew members who were either from there, or settled there after their AC experience. I've sailed with and worked with many of them over the years.

The first time I got married was on the foredeck of the 12 metre Gleam, on a mooring in Newport Harbor.

• Like 2
On 2/25/2021 at 7:23 AM, 45Roller said:

@DA-WOODY where is this one tho? :)

Me&DebAC45.jpg

Sadly unable to be with me M8's in AUCKLAND this time

But I Shall GAWD Willin be there for the Next Defence

image.png.5ae4c2862424983f457b48c61c69fbe8.png

AC2000TNZ.jpg

• Like 5

Heading out to the track

TNZ Burgee on top

me Battle Flag in middle

and bottom CRA Burgee - The paper klub Dennis Challenged Under but was excused just before I got there :unsure:

image.thumb.png.09e7123e9f194b2fb4d2766b43e8f1f4.png

If yer Going to Get yer PARTY ON to SUPPORT yer Team

Ya Need to Do it PROPER

image.png.0acbbf26f672c2e6ac99720dfde6973e.png

and know where to park

image.png.835155af73dc266b024200a2578397c7.png

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Heading out to the track

TNZ Burgee on top

me Battle Flag in middle

and bottom CRA Burgee - The paper klub Dennis Challenged Under but was excused just before I got there :unsure:

image.thumb.png.09e7123e9f194b2fb4d2766b43e8f1f4.png

If yer Going to Get yer PARTY ON to SUPPORT yer Team

Ya Need to Do it PROPER

image.png.0acbbf26f672c2e6ac99720dfde6973e.png

and know where to park

image.png.835155af73dc266b024200a2578397c7.png

Love these, thanks for posting :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 45Roller said:

Love these, thanks for posting :)

Don't encourage me

I got heaps more

From past 29 years of Americas CUPz

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DA-WOODY said:

Don't encourage me

I got heaps more

Just create a new thread, would be cool to see them ;)

33 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Don't encourage me

I got heaps more

Please! Super interesting!!

This video is Bitchin

Watched for 1st time last night

Never Guess what @ 1:04.45 :rolleyes:

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Don't encourage me

I got heaps more

I doubt you would have gotten media credentials this time.

It's not a free and easy (or good) as last time.

5 hours ago, jaysper said:

I doubt you would have gotten media credentials this time.

It's not a free and easy (or good) as last time.

Look again

Not media

image.png.100424aa6a2effc31f24059e58bb4237.png

Actually unless you need to get on a press/media boat media credentials are not All That

If you read what yer agreeing to

it's Mostly agreeing Not to do This an Not do That even on yer own (like No Video etc)

PS Nothing would be the same without my Long Time Friend I met in 1992

hooked me up with The Defenders Club over the Line-7 store and next to The Big BOAR on the Hard

image.png.7eaa3e2fd3291e51dac996758b68787b.png

• Like 4
2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Look again

Not media

image.png.100424aa6a2effc31f24059e58bb4237.png

Actually unless you need to get on a press/media boat media credentials are not All That

If you read what yer agreeing to

it's Mostly agreeing Not to do This an Not do That even on yer own (like No Video etc)

PS Nothing would be the same without my Long Time Friend I met in 1992

hooked me up with The Defenders Club over the Line-7 store and next to The Big BOAR on the Hard

image.png.7eaa3e2fd3291e51dac996758b68787b.png

He was the man...

I've got his signed charts from the Ceramco Whitbread RtW attempt here somewhere...

4 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I can’t pronounce or spell the wonderful name of ETNZ’s winning AC 35 boat but where is it now? Hopefully pride of place in some museum. 

Bolted to the side of their current base for all to see. 

1496EA1F-D0C9-4C62-A6C5-36A5501E9ACC.jpeg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Thank you! Great memories of that beauty in Bermuda. 

There was a video about the mounting, if you want to call it that :D

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

There was a video about the mounting, if you want to call it that :D

That’s brilliant, way better than being locked away in a container. A fitting tribute for all to see. 

18 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

I can’t pronounce or spell the wonderful name of ETNZ’s winning AC 35 boat but where is it now? Hopefully pride of place in some museum. 

Aotearoa

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

That’s brilliant, way better than being locked away in a container. A fitting tribute for all to see. 

They are running out of space for all the cup winning boats in Auckland, where will TR go? ;)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

They are running out of space for all the cup winning boats in Auckland, where will TR go? ;)

Well hopefully not in a container. 

I suppose Rita and Patriot are destined for a container which feels very sad. So many worked so hard to build and prepare them for an all too brief racing career. It somehow doesn’t feel right that they simply fade away. And I get it that few could use or sail them even if they could buy one but nonetheless......

12 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Hopefully alongside NZL82

I would like to think that ETNZ get a new building complete with gardens and all the boats, like sculptures, complete the landscape so the curious like me can one day visit, admire and enjoy. An innovation centre backed by investor money to keep the team together. 

17 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Cruel dat very cruel.

We already have a couple of second place boats in exposition. :) I'd rather not to increment our collection :D

5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

We already have a couple of second place boats in exposition. :) I'd rather not to increment our collection :D

Nah you will have heaps of room only one was a bona fide AC loser.

Yah cheated in 92 NZL 20 was higher and faster:o

25 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Nah you will have heaps of room only one was a bona fide AC loser.

Yah cheated in 92 NZL 20 was higher and faster:o

Why? Wasn't it NZ that used an iirregular bowsprit?

17 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Why? Wasn't it NZ that used an iirregular bowsprit?

That bowsprit was all smoke and mirrors and as Blakey later admitted if TNZ had gone through to the AC against America it would have been an embarrassing result so you guys did us a favour grazie mille.

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/americas-cup/bill-koch-how-a-hick-from-kansas-won-the-americas-cup--33817

7WGHbvh.jpg

• Like 3

Who ya Know makes All the Difference

WTF does this have to do w the AC? - 1st splash after returning from AUCKLAND

see The LOADED HOG on the side

FYI .............  The Pope Drinks, Smokes & Cusses Too Much

Mvc-053x.jpg

popeNwoody2.jpg

• Like 1

No REALLY ... Click on It !!!!!

https://www.alamy.com/supporters-of-team-new-zealand-take-part-in-the-royal-new-zealand-yacht-squadron-sail-past-in-their-modified-boat-on-aucklands-waitamata-harbour-on-the-eve-of-the-first-americas-cup-finals-in-auckland-february-18-more-than-1000-boats-joined-the-sail-past-to-express-their-support-for-team-new-zealand-as-they-attempt-to-defend-the-americas-cup-against-the-italian-syndicate-prada-who-are-endeavoring-to-become-the-first-europeans-to-win-the-worlds-oldest-sporting-trophy-in-149-years-in-the-best-of-nine-series-when-racing-begins-on-aucklands-hauraki-gulf-february-19-mdbtan-image381958641.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=2DAD4748-0BD2-4B17-9008-2DF490400451&p=1335310&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3Dbar%26st%3D0%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D100%26sortby%3D2%26resultview%3DsortbyPopular%26npgs%3D0%26qt%3Droyal%20new%20zealand%20yacht%20squadron%26qt_raw%3Droyal%20new%20zealand%20yacht%20squadron%26lic%3D3%26mr%3D0%26pr%3D0%26ot%3D0%26creative%3D%26ag%3D0%26hc%3D0%26pc%3D%26blackwhite%3D%26cutout%3D%26tbar%3D1%26et%3D0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3D0%26loc%3D0%26imgt%3D0%26dtfr%3D%26dtto%3D%26size%3D0xFF%26archive%3D1%26groupid%3D%26pseudoid%3D%26a%3D%26cdid%3D%26cdsrt%3D%26name%3D%26qn%3D%26apalib%3D%26apalic%3D%26lightbox%3D%26gname%3D%26gtype%3D%26xstx%3D0%26simid%3D%26saveQry%3D%26editorial%3D1%26nu%3D%26t%3D%26edoptin%3D%26customgeoip%3D%26cap%3D1%26cbstore%3D1%26vd%3D0%26lb%3D%26fi%3D2%26edrf%3D0%26ispremium%3D1%26flip%3D0%26pl%3D

• Like 1

in DAGO yesterday

I am so sad whenever I see one of these 5 Yachts

I can almost smell the cigarettes and feel the frustration of R.G. watching his families fortunes go up with his smoke

Had he Won, He would have been a HERO and perhaps .................................

No he could never have replaced what was squandered having believed the AC Could be Bought

till Bill Coke Bought "The BEACH BOYS" and Raul became the 2nd Wealthiest BankRoll of the 1992 Americas CUP

No One in History Paid More to go out on a Spectator Boat to watch an Americas CUP

iMoralA.jpg

iMoralB.jpg

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, usa318 said:

New acquisition.. Builders model from Westerly Marine that unfortunately closed in 2020. AmericaOne USA-61. 

Anyone know where the actual boat is today?

PXL_20210315_005009267_MP.jpg

of note from an AC (and Many others racers) Designer

The Do NOT provide accurate specifications

so models can not be used to Up Scale and reverse engineer said hull

I used to spend a fair bit of time on mariantic's IAAC boats listing page, was the best resource for where they all were back in the day, shame it's not maintained any more, I have reached out to Trevor to see if he plans to:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100124063710/http://www.mariantic.co.uk/ac/site/boats.asp

On 3/16/2021 at 4:52 AM, usa318 said:

New acquisition.. Builders model from Westerly Marine that unfortunately closed in 2020. AmericaOne USA-61. 

Anyone know where the actual boat is today?

PXL_20210315_005009267_MP.jpg

On display at the Munich Airport 2005.

7643FFB1-725E-4C25-B3FA-76626D855020.thumb.jpeg.350212af9162657d82ae71d6f9a9488b.jpeg

24 minutes ago, usa318 said:

Lame

Not lame, just not as fast as another boat..m

There are now 5* AC winning boats within a couple of hundred meters at the Viaduct B)

*KZ-1 was ruled winner by NYSC before losing on appeal.

6 hours ago, hoom said:

There are now 5* AC winning boats within a couple of hundred meters at the Viaduct B)

If you want to look at KZ-1 that way, she is a four-time loser: lost two races on the water, won in the lower court, lost in the Appellate Division, then lost again when that decision was confirmed by the NY Court of Appeals. Four-time loser trumps momentary one-time winner.

The boat did not win in the lower court in any case. It was the Mercury Bay Boating Club that won.

It was an interesting boat that raced for the America's Cup in what was probably the biggest mismatch in AC history. It's a good thing she was saved, as she is a real bit of AC history, demonstrating the potential folly of a hostile DoG challenge.

That AC match is known as the "dog vs. cat match" for more than one reason, but it also set the stage for the future use of wing-sail multihulls in the AC.

• Like 3

AMERICA CUBED and IL MORO from the 1992 final are both in Osterville, MA. 

A3 is at the Nauticus Marina and Wedding Venue.  The keel is removed, interesting to see how it was attached and the how the kelp cutter (kind of an innovation at the time I think) was configured.

IL MORO is next door in the backyard of a regular private home.  Looks like a place for an average neglected 4KSB but instead it's an old Cup competitor.

I couldn't resist sneaking around and having a peek under the cover.  Very cool to be able to see these craft close up.  Amazing how dated some gear looks;  aluminum steering wheels, stainless steel winch drums, that kind of thing.  Obviously the designs hadn't headed to the narrow corner of the rule yet either!

A3 1.jpg

A3 2.jpg

A3 3.jpg

IM 1.jpg

IM 2.jpg

IM 3.jpg

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Serge A. Storms said:

A3 is at the Nauticus Marina and Wedding Venue.  The keel is removed, interesting to see how it was attached and the how the kelp cutter (kind of an innovation at the time I think) was configured.

IL MORO is next door in the backyard of a regular private home.  Looks like a place for an average neglected 4KSB but instead it's an old Cup competitor.

I couldn't resist sneaking around and having a peek under the cover.  Very cool to be able to see these craft close up.  Amazing how dated some gear looks;  aluminum steering wheels, stainless steel winch drums, that kind of thing.  Obviously the designs hadn't headed to the narrow corner of the rule yet either!

A3 1.jpg

A3 2.jpg

A3 3.jpg

IM 1.jpg

IM 2.jpg

IM 3.jpg

Il Moro just looks sad and despite the bastards beating us in the LVC, you'd hope a once prized boat would have a better resting place than that.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jaysper said:

Il Moro just looks sad and despite the bastards beating us in the LVC, you'd hope a once prized boat would have a better resting place than that.

Doubt there would be much interest it’s owner was not exactly celebrated in Italy.

3F7916B7-84C3-4449-A5E0-0EC5F9BB73B4.thumb.jpeg.7e65f96de5226308b1d4686896601061.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Doubt there would be much interest it’s owner was not exactly celebrated in Italy.

3F7916B7-84C3-4449-A5E0-0EC5F9BB73B4.thumb.jpeg.7e65f96de5226308b1d4686896601061.jpeg

Yeah, he committed suicide amid some sort of fraud allegations didn't he?

I remember one of the commentators at the 92 cup that their base had carpet with such thick pile that walking over it gave your legs a work out ^_^

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

The two Moro that are still in Italy are much more well preserved. One is still navigating in perfect conditions, and the other is in permanent exposition in Ravenna, the hometown of Gardini. He was not hated at all in Italy, he was one of the few people who paid the most for a system that at the time was very corrupted, especially on the political side. That Moro di Venezia was bought by Bill Koch and kept near her pal America3. A shame they ended like that. If they were in Italy they would have been honoured.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:55 PM, hoom said:

So its 32, 60, the AC 50 an AC75?

I can't support you on the KZ1 thing though :P

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Serge A. Storms said:

A3 1.jpg

IM 1.jpg

Does anyone know if the owner of this "Moro di Venezia" is still Bill Koch? I sent those pictures to Tommaso Chieffi, who was part of the crew back in 1992 (we're friends on Facebook)! He was very pleased to see their old boat, even if it's sad it is almost abandoned.