Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

3 minutes ago, rh2600 said:

There appeared to be a bit of delamination occurring in places... Could be repaired but not a case of a quick waterblast and polish from what I could see.

The outside skin was so much heavier than the inside for rule purposes that I doubt any delam would appear on the outside unless impact damage. Doubt they will ever see the water again anyway, but more than fit for a paint job and display. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was a really good, sailboat related thread until you, A4E/dg_sailingfan, came here to barf your DB hate into it as well. What a sick troll you are that needs to poison each and ever thread with

You could be right, but I don't remember if there was a lift next to Christies. That might have been Williams and Manchester, which I think had only a single lift. Dennis was based at Williams and Man

Speaking of 12s from 1987...  this is one of the AMERICA II boats, sitting at New England Boat Works in Portsmouth RI.   I was at the yard the other day and there was a ladder in place and she wasn't

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Just visiting Auckland this week... thought I’d post a few pics:

KZ-1 getting a facelift... and by god she needs it.  Kind of strange, in this day and age, seeing a boat without a name on the side or any sponsors logos.  I always wished she had the words NEW ZEALAND somewhere on the side, in the way that KZ-7 had.

A091152E-9429-4DEB-9D64-DCDAC006A2BD.jpeg

AE7846C5-353E-4135-AD24-4AD8BD40CDF6.jpeg

5398F361-93BF-4BD3-BC05-C21B0A68B794.jpeg

DF6E3DF0-4212-42CD-8BEB-BDB7078903A2.jpeg

Hopefully they'll put the rig back onto KZ1 when they're done. It was up originally, but got taken down a few years back. She looked much more imposing with her mast disappearing into the sky.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

Hopefully they'll put the rig back onto KZ1 when they're done. It was up originally, but got taken down a few years back. She looked much more imposing with her mast disappearing into the sky.

In February 2016 The Maritime Museum said KZ1 was getting its rig back that year.

@DohaNZ

Also, here’s some new pics of the Explore Group’s IACC yachts which do America’s Cup sailing experiences in Auckland.

They’re now in ‘corporate livery’, whereas previously they were in Emirates Team New Zealand livery from 2007.  The idea, I was once told by Grant Dalton, was for ETNZ to be able to use the boats occasionally for its clients/sponsors etc.  Having the boats looking like racing boats would apparently make the experience more authentic!

Of course, ironically, neither boat ever sailed for New Zealand.  NZL-41 is actually JPN-41 from the Nippon Challenge in San Diego, 1995... and NZL-68 started life as GER-68 with Illbruck Challenge.  It was sold/leased/lent (not sure which) unfinished to Emirates Team New Zealand, who finished her up and used her as a training boat in 2007.

(though I’m sure you all know this!)

303589C4-6D03-42F5-BFF9-288C5AEEF101.jpeg

On 5/18/2019 at 11:08 PM, DohaNZ said:

Also, here’s some new pics of the Explore Group’s IACC yachts which do America’s Cup sailing experiences in Auckland.

They’re now in ‘corporate livery’, whereas previously they were in Emirates Team New Zealand livery from 2007.  The idea, I was once told by Grant Dalton, was for ETNZ to be able to use the boats occasionally for its clients/sponsors etc.  Having the boats looking like racing boats would apparently make the experience more authentic!

Of course, ironically, neither boat ever sailed for New Zealand.  NZL-41 is actually JPN-41 from the Nippon Challenge in San Diego, 1995... and NZL-68 started life as GER-68 with Illbruck Challenge.  It was sold/leased/lent (not sure which) unfinished to Emirates Team New Zealand, who finished her up and used her as a training boat in 2007.

(though I’m sure you all know this!)

303589C4-6D03-42F5-BFF9-288C5AEEF101.jpeg

Saw these 2 returning back to the Viaduct after a day sail a few weeks ago. Still an amazing experience watching these boats coming into the viaduct. The bridge raising also provides an epic frame to their entrance.

On 5/16/2019 at 5:02 AM, monosailor said:

I thought the rig had been scrapped, cost to replace the rigging was going to be too much

I heard yesterday that there will be a decision/announcement about the mast soon. 

• 1 month later...

Anybody know what boat this was before becoming the "For Sale"? Looks like a 12 and not an IACC boat...... I thought I remembered one of the Golden Gate Challenge boats being diced up, though I know at least the last boat of 2 built by GGC is still sailing. This one looks like it may have been the first of the 2(US 49), with what looks like a "conventional" wing keel as opposed to the "geek" bulb and canard rudder design of the second boat. 12M class site has whereabouts of the first boat "not known", and on the same page states "scrapped in summer 2008".......

89415465918152809550.jpg

4 hours ago, blottodiablo74 said:

Anybody know what boat this was before becoming the "For Sale"? Looks like a 12 and not an IACC boat...... I thought I remembered one of the Golden Gate Challenge boats being diced up, though I know at least the last boat of 2 built by GGC is still sailing. This one looks like it may have been the first of the 2(US 49), with what looks like a "conventional" wing keel as opposed to the "geek" bulb and canard rudder design of the second boat. 12M class site has whereabouts of the first boat "not known", and on the same page states "scrapped in summer 2008".......

89415465918152809550.jpg

Yeah. That is US 49 from that syndicate. It was meant to be a copy of Aus II and a trial horse for 61.

I thought that underbody and bustle and keel looked familiar, but that forklift in front of it blocked it a bit. Yeah- too bad about these boats being chopped, but money is money, and I guess to the last owner it was worth more in pieces to scrap. Even though this boat was a lab rat, I think it would've been cool to preserve her, but oh well. Same fate ended Advance, the Aussie dog that sailed in Newport in '83, and it looks like Liberty was "lost" in a storm in Japan long ago. Pieces of history, even though they were dogs of varying pedigrees.

Edit:  Mariner was "lost" off Palm Beach, FL in '99. Also a dog. Coincidence? I wonder....

Edited by blottodiablo74
Added content relevant to original post.
7 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Gee you'd have to be keen to take that on. Wonder how much they want for it? They should probably pay someone to take it away.

There was a website 10 years back when it was for sale and the pictures progressively showed it disappearing until the keel was the only thing sitting there. Part of it's probably in your hand right now if you are drinking a beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, KZ-1 said:

Wonder if KZ-1 still has this insignia on the transom after all these years...

KZ-1.jpg

I took this pic four years ago from the offices of the Sir Peter Blake Foundation... August 2015. 

CD15DAD2-4DBC-40B8-BED2-A8500E77CEE2.jpeg

• Like 1
On 8/9/2019 at 7:39 AM, longy said:

That's maybe a six meter? Or a 5.5, but not big enuff to be a 12.

It has an unusual Bow profile & knuckle to the water line to suggest not a 12mR - but when you consider the size of the cruising boat to the right hand edge of the photo - particularly the pushpit height, and the railings along the dock - then that is not a 6mR........ and definitely not a 5.5

Just saying. Is it a 12, or maybe an 8?

Someone must know....... 

I was in Italy recently, and by chance, visited the science museum in Milan.

Wasn't aware (or actually, didn't recall) that Luna Rossa's AC72 is there, hanging from the ceiling.

The museum alone is worth visiting if one is so inclined, and compares favorably to the Deutches Museum in Munich (reputed to be the largest science museum in the world).

1 hour ago, CheekyMonkey said:

I was in Italy recently, and by chance, visited the science museum in Milan.

Wasn't aware (or actually, didn't recall) that Luna Rossa's AC72 is there, hanging from the ceiling.

The museum alone is worth visiting if one is so inclined, and compares favorably to the Deutches Museum in Munich (reputed to be the largest science museum in the world).

Looks like a very impressive installation..... while ETNZ’s AC72 sits dismantled and shrink-wrapped at Storage King in  Onehunga, Auckland!

(maybe the result of AC34 in San Francisco still stings too much...)

6C392150-3D68-425E-8F49-7E6BCE1F29B2.jpeg

• Like 1

The ETNZ AC72 was traded to a contractor, or similar, I think.  It's not ETNZ's any more... 

12 minutes ago, Nutta said:

The ETNZ AC72 was traded to a contractor, or similar, I think.  It's not ETNZ's any more... 

Really?  Wonder who would possibly have use for a boat which took 40 people to launch!

They had two AC72s though... maybe that’s Boat 1 sitting in storage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 4:47 AM, KareL said:

I'm quite certain that it is the 12mr Sverige that has been rebuild in Germany with a nose job. I dont belive that the new bow complies with the rules.

Wonder if it still has tiller steering?

sverige-80-1.jpg

14 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I should post this here too. 

ETNZ’s AC50 being prepared for mounting on a cradle in Auckland’s Viaduct (visible in the right hand side of the photo). 

3CA6E0A6-BCCC-422A-9A21-A0E03B089400.jpeg

I guess just the hulls and platform will be on display.... i.e. without the wing installed?

(unless they want her to go flying again!)

23 minutes ago, Earl Boebert said:

There are precedents :)

(Nelson Piquet with his 1987 Championship Williams, decorating his home in Brasilia)

image.png.cf6fb062e019a7e95844b8bebde18ada.png

Cheers,

Earl

I've been changing my oil wrong this whole time....

43 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Not a very compelling way they displayed that boat.  Like how I hang the bike I never use in my garage.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Well, if ya want to see anything interesting you would have to hang it upside down...a stable cat orientation, but awkward.

16 minutes ago, KZ-1 said:

Good lord, I thought they could have done something a little better than that! Ah well, that's it then. 

"Will it make the boat go faster?"

ETNZ have higher priorities atm ;-)

15 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Nice to seem them all there... plus NZL32 in the Maritime Museum.

I would dispute Gladwell’s talk of NZL60 being a charter boat with the Explore Group.  As far as I know NZL60 is still sitting in the YDL yard in Hobsonville... Explore Group currently sails NZL41 and NZL68 (neither of which sailed for New Zealand!)

10 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

I would dispute Gladwell’s talk of NZL60 being a charter boat with the Explore Group.  As far as I know NZL60 is still sitting in the YDL yard in Hobsonville... Explore Group currently sails NZL41 and NZL68 (neither of which sailed for New Zealand!)

Got this off Google Maps.  Sucker has a big "NZL 68" right on the bow.  

Speaking of Google Maps, looking at the viaduct there looks like a nice spot between ETNZ's base and the old Alinghi base that would be perfect to display NZL-60.  Of course Google Maps isn't a current view so maybe that spot isn't open anymore.  Anyway, seems like a shame the first successful foreign defender isn't on display.  She deserves it. 

NZL_68.png

12 hours ago, DohaNZ said:

Im 99% sure explore own all the IACC boats up at YDL, but yes it’s NZL68 currently sailing 

30 minutes ago, monosailor said:

Im 99% sure explore own all the IACC boats up at YDL, but yes it’s NZL68 currently sailing 

Actually, you can be 100% sure about that.  Explore owns them all.  

Just as an aside... I’m not sure either of those 2007 generation boats would be much good for charter sailing.  By that stage, the boats had become so much narrower... not great for Joe Public to ‘sail’.

2 hours ago, WetHog said:

Got this off Google Maps.  Sucker has a big "NZL 68" right on the bow.  

Speaking of Google Maps, looking at the viaduct there looks like a nice spot between ETNZ's base and the old Alinghi base that would be perfect to display NZL-60.  Of course Google Maps isn't a current view so maybe that spot isn't open anymore.  Anyway, seems like a shame the first successful foreign defender isn't on display.  She deserves it. 

60 is on a par with 32 I think... both important boats, for different reasons.  But God knows I’ve gone on about that in this thread before!

39 minutes ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

You mean its not already!?! Surely thats an obvious investment...

Nope. In fact this is the winner of the 2000 America’s Cup... the first boat not from the U.S. to successfully defend the Cup... in May of this year :(

4555A3CD-9C04-4DE3-8744-1D3FD44006F0.jpeg

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, meanermachine said:

I have news on the SoftBank AC50...

It has been bought by Yamaha and is currently being prepped to be put on display by them, not sailed.

Why? Fuck knows.

Where was the boat stored, any idea? In that big yard with japanz sponsor, OR?

6 minutes ago, meanermachine said:

Yeah still in Bermuda I understand.

This would suggest that Masayoshi Son doesn't feel that charitable towards LE anymore? Surely the obvious decision would have been to sell that AC50 to SGP? Odd that he elected to keep it as a large paperweight instead.

2 hours ago, basketcase said:

one was deemed too heavy to fit into the one design weight range.

At least they'd found the hidden lead beforehand this time.