Corsair Pulse 600

The very first impression of the boat (in factory) was fine. But this action shots are a bit disappointment, and i explain my self....First of all i think that the amas are oversized. Looks heavier and uglier than usual and the lack of dihedral is something that i really didn't expect from a performance vessel. DIAM24, seacarts even multi 23 are far better designs. This thing reminds me the motive 25 as design in a fatter and cheaper edition.

Sorry Corsair but this boat is not sexy at ALL.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You folks must be fortunate to sail in places with steady windspeed with no gusts or lulls and no wind shifts and no current and very little traffic.   If you are looking at instruments where I sail,

Look at the most popular and best selling multi-hull sailboats of all time - none are over 18 feet in length. Boats that can be set up by one person, in less than about 30 minutes, and sell for less t

Top down will take longer (S'OK, though, you aren't racing) but will still need to have the halyard loosened some after furling before heading back upwind to keep the forestay loaded.  Be sure to clea

Posted Images

Ill take a prodder over a bow sprite any time... :ph34r:

Ignoring price for the moment (because we currently don't know what the out-the-door price of the Pulse is)............

Can somebody tell me what the attraction to this boat is over the Sprint 750?

Is it really going to be any quicker to tow, set-up, easier to sail and quicker to break-down than the Sprint?

It seems to me that the Sprint 750II is the perfect OD class boat. However now, with the introduction of the Pulse, I suspect that Sprint sales will suffer, and any chance of it growing into a viable OD fleet are now lost.

(Sigh).......and I so had my hopes set on picking up a 2nd hand Sprint 750II some day!!!

***R.T.***

Ok!!!

I am interested because I think it would be easier to maintain, easier to rig, easier to tow, easier to single-handle and easier to everything than a Sprint as the Sprint is a much heavier, complex boat.

I need a family sailor (may need the cuddy cabin twice a year if that) that gives me the thrills of my BeachCat.

Now if you convince me that my life would be equally easy with a Sprint than a Pulse, I would get a Sprint. Yet do not think so.

Cheers,

The Strike 20 looks interesting, using an old F18 would produce a cost effective boat. I would love something like that with a Taipan 5.7 donor.

I think after regulary racing against a Vx One with a 20ft mid performance tri, the Vx would be a significantly faster boat than a Pulse on flat water, light to medium wind venues.

To look at a Pulse as a pure race boat is missing the point. At 20ft it will always be beaten by beach cats and skiff variants. The Pulse in my eyes offers versatility, perceived safety over cats\skiffs for the family and potentially able to handle a higher seastate if caught out on the coast.

One the positives of the Pulse 600 not discussed is the carbon ring frame at the front beam /mast intersection. Most Tris of this length have the front beam across the cockpit with the mast base in the middle. This limits the size/length/access to the micro cuddy.

It could be an excellent beach camper in a few years once you could handle the minor damage that occurs with beach cruising.

Potential boat for the Everglades Challenge if it could fold on the water within the checkpoint gate dimensions? Put an AD Scull on the stern for the human powered parts?

I think some f you guys are missing the point. Yes it's probably not going to be as quick as an x,y or z boat , but it is safe , easy to handle /trailer rig .,,,. One design boat.

You can't tell me that a laser is a quick 14 ft dinghy or a hobie 16 is a fast 16 ft cat , why they are popular and successful is that they are simple and one design and some people enjoy racing against the same type of boat.

In a one design fleet it doesn't matter how fast they are against other boats as they are all the same.And let's face it it your sailing in a mixed fleet you are sailing to a rating so if you sail well , you should do ok.

If they can keep it strict one design and a fair price I can see an opening in the market, a decent size fleet of these things on the one track would be great.

In looking at the initial renderings, I seriously doubt that one-design racing is/was very high up on Corsair's priority list for this boat.

I suspect that, like the Weta, the vast majority of owners will have little to no interest in racing.

Weta has sold now sold over 1000 boats, yet how many one-design fleets are really out there? And how many boats are actually showing up at these events?

The reality is that for this boat to reach critical one-design mass in any given area, Corsair is going to have to sell a sh*t-ton of boats.

***R.T.***

Ignoring price for the moment (because we currently don't know what the out-the-door price of the Pulse is)............

Is it really going to be any quicker to tow, set-up, easier to sail and quicker to break-down than the Sprint?

It seems to me that the Sprint 750II is the perfect OD class boat. However now, with the introduction of the Pulse, I suspect that Sprint sales will suffer, and any chance of it growing into a viable OD fleet are now lost.

(Sigh).......and I so had my hopes set on picking up a 2nd hand Sprint 750II some day!!!

***R.T.***

Ok!!!

I am interested because I think it would be easier to maintain, easier to rig, easier to tow, easier to single-handle and easier to everything than a Sprint as the Sprint is a much heavier, complex boat.

I need a family sailor (may need the cuddy cabin twice a year if that) that gives me the thrills of my BeachCat.

Now if you convince me that my life would be equally easy with a Sprint than a Pulse, I would get a Sprint. Yet do not think so.

Cheers,

O.k., I'll play.....

-easier to maintain: What would make the Pulse easier to maintain?

-easier to rig: Have you ever rigged amSprint? With the roller furling boom, synthetic stays, ect, I believe that a Sprint can be rigged as quickly as a Weta.

-easier to tow: the Spint does weigh about twice as much, however at 2k lbs, it is still very easy to tow.

-easier to single hand: don't think so. Add the forward tiller arrangement to the Sprint and single handing is a snap. Forward tiller arrangement won't work on the Pulse due to traveller arrangement.

-more complex: how do you figure more complex?

-cuddy cabin: the wife and kids and captain will all think the cuddy is awfully nice when nature calls, or to have a place to get out of the weather for a bit, if conditions dictate. No privacy, or dry place on the Pulse. ;)

Nope, I still don't get it........(other than price).

***R.T***

***R.T.***

Ok!!!

Cheers,

O.k., I'll play.....

-easier to maintain: What would make the Pulse easier to maintain?

-easier to rig: Have you ever rigged amSprint? With the roller furling boom, synthetic stays, ect, I believe that a Sprint can be rigged as quickly as a Weta.

-easier to tow: the Spint does weigh about twice as much, however at 2k lbs, it is still very easy to tow.

-easier to single hand: don't think so. Add the forward tiller arrangement to the Sprint and single handing is a snap. Forward tiller arrangement won't work on the Pulse due to traveller arrangement.

-more complex: how do you figure more complex?

-cuddy cabin: the wife and kids and captain will all think the cuddy is awfully nice when nature calls, or to have a place to get out of the weather for a bit, if conditions dictate. No privacy, or dry place on the Pulse. ;)

Nope, I still don't get it........(other than price).

***R.T***

Hi Bob,

I do not have much spare time and that time I want to spend sailing.

Maintenance - it increases exponentially with boat size. We all know that. When I say complexity, is not sailing complexity is maintenance complexity. The Sprint has more and bigger stuff to worry about.

Storage - in my situation, which may be unique, storing a Pulse would be significantly cheaper than storing a Sprint.

Tow - I have towed many things. If you are planning on towing often to get to other sailing venues, it makes a huge difference towing around ~900lbs than ~2,000lbs. Admittedly it may just be me on this one.

Rigging - I takes me 90mins to rig my Weta, so a Sprint? Ok!! I do talk to all the onlookers on the beach.

Single handling - Ok, you got me on that one.

Cuddy - Ok, you totally got me on that one with the wife. Although this is where price comes in. Unless you find a used Sprint Mk I at a good deal, is it worth paying ~40K for a porta-potty? I am not sure.

Nevertheless; there is still hope Bob. I often dream of a Sprint.

Cheers,

Courtesy of Corsair Marine.......

attachicon.gif16539810796_af5f280239_b.jpg

attachicon.gif16564156911_4bec462eb9_b.jpg

Enjoy!!!

-MH

Beautiful! Simply beautiful.

But where'd those pictures come from? Corsair Marine's website makes it hard to find anything current about the Pulse unless clicks through all updates. C'mon, Corsair, market this thing. Tell us about the test sail. And a video!

I would love to see dozens of them sell in the first year. Until/if it reaches OD critical mass, will it be a PHRF or Portsmouth handicap? Is it too big to be the proverbial "Dinghy of the Year?" Too soon?

Courtesy of Corsair Marine.......

attachicon.gif16539810796_af5f280239_b.jpg

attachicon.gif16564156911_4bec462eb9_b.jpg

Enjoy!!!

-MH

Looks to me like it could have been a bit wider?
Light air, scarcely any sail up - but dragging both floats?

Perhaps the skipper should be sitting low side - or the boat could have little more dihedral.

Gybe ho(w)!

Ugh, not smart enough to post the pic with the chute (tacked to bow).

Go to their facebook page. Sorry!

Do hope they sell a lot of them.

Why?

I'm hoping that the SeaRail 19 will start selling. After the pics of the Pulse sailing were posted, all of the resulting knocks on the design have already been addressed by the SeaRail.

It has a bowsprit, proper dihedral, road-worthy trlr, is already available in the U.S.A., comes with gingers sporting nice racks and all for $28k.

The SeaRail has already gone through it's teething problems. The rig has been fine-tuned by Randy Smyth. The amas have been upgraded. Why the Pulse? It doesn't even have the Farrier Folding system, the one clear advantage that they could have incorporated into the design.

It seems to me that Corsair has come late to what is a very small party.

It doesn't even have the Farrier Folding system, the one clear advantage that they could have incorporated into the design.

Dear Corsair Team,

The folding system for the Pulse 600 appears to be very similar to that used on the Seacart 26. And, after may years on the market, I have not been able to find a single video showing the unfolding/folding process. Can you please post a video that shows the unfolding/folding process of the Pulse 600.

Best Regards,

***R.T.***

Why?

Why? Well, because I see it as the best chance to get an OD fleet of tris that can bring cross-over weekend warrior sailors from the monohull world and be double handed by husband/wife or parent/kid teams. Its the closest thing to what Ian originally talked about in the F22 and that is in no way intended as a slam on that boat, its designer or the company. Just the F22 evolved in a way that it got much more expensive while this evolved in a way to be more entry level, much more affordable and hopefully bring cross-overs to the party. But we are recovering ground covered many times over in the thread.

Some will love it; some will hate it. It will be what it will be. I just happen to hope its a success and that an OD fleets pops up in my neck of the woods.

Why?

Why? Well, because I see it as the best chance to get an OD fleet of tris that can bring cross-over weekend warrior sailors from the monohull world and be double handed by husband/wife or parent/kid teams. Its the closest thing to what Ian originally talked about in the F22 and that is in no way intended as a slam on that boat, its designer or the company. Just the F22 evolved in a way that it got much more expensive while this evolved in a way to be more entry level, much more affordable and hopefully bring cross-overs to the party. But we are recovering ground covered many times over in the thread.

Some will love it; some will hate it. It will be what it will be. I just happen to hope its a success and that an OD fleets pops up in my neck of the woods.

But Wess, why are you so focused on the Pulse. Why not the SeaRail?

This is all wrong....the water is flat and still looks like have 3 hulls in the water...can't imagine what happens at choppy sea.

Take an example of big tris designs how delicate and fast they are. Scale 'em down, do some comfort and cost compromises and voila. DIAM24 is a good example. I can't imagine how Pulse can beat this.,,,It's faster, prettier, better built...Pulse is only cheaper and can be fold. NOTHING MORE.

NOW COMPARE THE PHOTOS....WHERE YOU IMAGINE YOURSELF AS CREW?

PMB7818.jpg

Why?

But Wess, why are you so focused on the Pulse. Why not the SeaRail?

No desire to say anything negative about searail. Just hoping Corsair has the name, the reach, and the ease of sailing that it brings cross-overs. I'm not in any way associated with or employed by Corsair if that is what you mean. Just hoping and entry level boat brings more converts.

Its a dream...

Why?

I'm hoping that the SeaRail 19 will start selling. After the pics of the Pulse sailing were posted, all of the resulting knocks on the design have already been addressed by the SeaRail.

It has a bowsprit, proper dihedral, road-worthy trlr, is already available in the U.S.A., comes with gingers sporting nice racks and all for $28k.

The SeaRail has already gone through it's teething problems. The rig has been fine-tuned by Randy Smyth. The amas have been upgraded. Why the Pulse? It doesn't even have the Farrier Folding system, the one clear advantage that they could have incorporated into the design.

It seems to me that Corsair has come late to what is a very small party.

Great points. Maybe it's time to revive a SeaRail thread or start a new one to discuss.

I hadn't heard of the Randy Smyth sail package until last week. The bowsprit I saw is significantly longer than the original. Looking forward to seeing some videos of the package when things warm up.

wonder if a recognized Tri designer could comment on the lack of dihedral, i imagine once pressured up it would be less of an issue, but in the light?

better still the pulse designer might weigh in ?

I know the dihedral on the multi 23 is a bit nutty, but it's nice riding above the chop, while annoying at the dock. Even with the high dihedral, I sometimes put the weather ama through a wave, at speed, it's a bit of a hard hit for the forward crew. I imagine the Corsair will be hitting those waves a bit more often.

I'm not seeing the pulse has any advantage on a beachcat. Do you really think that sitting(or hiking) on a flat tramp(which is where you will be with any wind) is easier(or more comfortable) than being trapped out(and surly not as comfortable as sitting on the wings)? A beach cat with wings will be drier, more comfortable, Easier to rig, lighter to move around and launch, and lighter to tow. The only down side might be the 8-8.5 beam for storing. And you can pick up some really nice used 20 ft beachcats for under 10K(including trailer, sailbox, and cattrax). Spend another 1K to add wings.

+1

Trapezing the beachcat won't be very comfortable because of that big wad of cash still in your back pocket

Come on VMG. That seems a bit hypocritical, no?

I mean if we were comparing the beach cat to the Farrier F22 you are dealer for, I would have had to empty my wallet and my 401K and my portfolio. B)

Yea, you can find used beach cats for less (than the Pulse, F22, etc…) and some of them will be faster too. But I am not into traps and there is no way the wife is racing a beach cat with me.

Loved your MOD 70 idea on the other thread though even if it would clean me out

HI all,

We are multi hullers here; I think. Well, I am.

However if I were to go monohull, the Seascape 18 is the boat hands down http://www.thinkseascape.com/us/en/seascape-18/

Check it out!! It is a pretty sweet little monohull.

It does everything we have been talking about here. I do not think there are any around the US, though. Are there?

Cheers,

HI all,

We are multi hullers here; I think. Well, I am.

However if I were to go monohull, the Seascape 18 is the boat hands down http://www.thinkseascape.com/us/en/seascape-18/

Check it out!! It is a pretty sweet little monohull.

It does everything we have been talking about here. I do not think there are any around the US, though. Are there?

Cheers,

Nice. My point is that these boats are in the same market as the pulse. Beachcats are not. It is pointless comparing. A person who would buy a beachcat would not consider a Pulse, nor a seascape nor a status. And a person deciding whether to buy a pulse or a seascape or a status would not consider a beachcat.

+1

Trapezing the beachcat won't be very comfortable because of that big wad of cash still in your back pocket

Come on VMG. That seems a bit hypocritical, no?

I mean if we were comparing the beach cat to the Farrier F22 you are dealer for, I would have had to empty my wallet and my 401K and my portfolio. B)

Yea, you can find used beach cats for less (than the Pulse, F22, etc…) and some of them will be faster too. But I am not into traps and there is no way the wife is racing a beach cat with me.

Loved your MOD 70 idea on the other thread though even if it would clean me out

There are some downsides to trimaran ownership - mostly related to their size and lack of displacement. My 32' tri gives me so many pluses that these negatives become insignificant.

I don't think that open tris have enough amenity to overcome the minuses and justify the trade up for a beachcat owner.

I'm not here to sell you or Mrs Wess an F-22 because this thread is about the Pulse 600. Suffice to say that the 2 boats are not really comparable and leave it at that.

Yea, fair enough. And I do wish you success w the F22. If it somehow reached the OD status that the J70 (or even the Weta) has I think I would gladly pay the premium. Really the only question in my mind would be if it can well raced by two old farts.

My purchase criteria are not really price driven:

1.) Be a multihull (that can be easily trailered) that would be accepted by most OAs for local distance races

2.) Have active sustainable OD fleets up and down the US east coast supported by the manufacturer/dealers

3.) Be able to be well sailed by 2 old farts, not involve traps, and have a small modest cabin/shelter

I suspect this is in fact not a realistic dream and my better option may be to go back to a large offshore multi for cruising and live-aboard and bring a Laser along for OD racing wherever we happen to find ourselves.

Anyway, good luck to you guys as well as Corsair w the Pulse.

Have any of you sailed a beachcat with wings? I put them on my Mystere 6.0 2 years ago and have not put the harnesses on the boat since them. And sitting up on the wings are much more comfortable(and drier) than sitting out on the amas all day. In light air they make great back rests. I can easily put 3-4 people on the boat. My boat has the same height mast as the pulse. Almost the same sail area. Weights in at 475 pounds. Wife loves the wings. Nothing like sailing from a set of 10 ft lounge chairs.

Wess - get over your trap-phobia and get an F-18, it meets all your criteria except for "a small modest cabin/shelter". Small modest shelter = drysuit, baby!

beachsailor - wings are the bomb for knock about sailing on small cats.

Wess - get over your trap-phobia and get an F-18, it meets all your criteria except for "a small modest cabin/shelter". Small modest shelter = drysuit, baby!

That pretty funny KBC.

I showed it to Mrs. Wess. I can't post her response but remember she knows where you live!

Oh and you know darn well that the vast majority of OAs are not going to accept a beach cat in a distance race... but that may actually make Mrs. Wess happy, LOL.

Hope your winter is going well.

I like this boat as a potential family day sailor, as an alternative to a mono-hull. It seems like Corsair has gone silent, I wonder if they are concerned with the comments about appearance and apparent lack of dihedral angle, and are maybe working up some new glossy pictures.

I like this boat as a potential family day sailor, as an alternative to a mono-hull. It seems like Corsair has gone silent, I wonder if they are concerned with the comments about appearance and apparent lack of dihedral angle, and are maybe working up some new glossy pictures.

I agree. I think it could be the entry level tri that is needed to compete in the market with ballasted single hull family day sailors. Keep it simple and cheap.

just in case anyone missed it...

http://corsairmarine.com/trimarans/pulse-600/?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonuqnIZKXonjHpfsX56egpXq60lMI%2F0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4DTcBrI%2BSLDwEYGJlv6SgFTLLCMbR4w7gJWxI%3D#photos-view

It may be the way the thing is built or the pictures, but it actually looks like the cabin top forward of the ring thingy come off.

It is also interesting that they say that there is water tight compartment under the floor. Which floor? The one in the forward cabin area? How big? Maybe with it off would make the cabin area deeper to be able to get in there if someone has too due to weather. Maybe.

Cheers,

That pretty funny KBC.

I showed it to Mrs. Wess. I can't post her response but remember she knows where you live!

Oh and you know darn well that the vast majority of OAs are not going to accept a beach cat in a distance race... but that may actually make Mrs. Wess happy, LOL.

Well you know here on the Bay we've been pretty successful in getting beach cats into distance races. A pretty good approach has been developed. My guess is getting something like the Pulse into those races might take a similar approach.

Dear Corsair, a couple of suggestions, some may be sucking eggs but here it goes.

Before you lock in the OD specifications can you make it very easy to hoist/lower the gennaker. Your publicity shots shot the boat on a reach with the gennaker raised, if it's like my boat the gennaker badly disrupts airflow on to the jib when its hoisted and furled.

A relatively cheap solution is a 2:1 8mm halyard with a constrictor clutch on the mast. Ideally you would have two small mesh bags both sides near the cuddy opening.

At all times the gennaker is not being used it needs to be on the deck for clean airflow. Have the top half stuffed in one of the bags(halyard still attached) and the other half on the forward deck. Use either bag depending on what tack it is dropped.

Can you put a furler on the jib please, looking at my gennaker it is in a similar position to the 600, (see photo) because the jib stops good airflow on the gennaker the jib has to be furled every time the gennaker is used. Or please stick it out on a bow sprit.

Please offer an accessory lockable door for the micro cuddy. I want to be able to lock it on the trailer keeping EPIRB, anchor and reel, paddles and sails safe from theft.

Please spend the time to make a folding video on your site similar to the Searail video. The ease of folding is an unknown with the soft lower beam stays.

post-33395-0-94289500-1425038413_thumb.jpg

That pretty funny KBC.

Well you know here on the Bay we've been pretty successful in getting beach cats into distance races. A pretty good approach has been developed. My guess is getting something like the Pulse into those races might take a similar approach.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. Not fair to get into details on public forum. Will just make the general statement that the Pulse will be treated same as Sprint and have no issue at all getting rated and entered as boat in class the OAs already include. Good luck with a beach cat. Not saying it can't be done and yes it is occasionally done, but it requires moving mountains and a really energetic champion. Not me brother. Not me. Had my turn in barrel.

But of course if we never thaw it will not matter. Geeze, 3 straight weeks no frostbiting.

Rumour has it that the Dihedral has already been increased as part of a factory mod and that Corsair is planning to revert back to a traditional folding system doing away with the synthetic outer stays, I guess the weight and cost will go up a bit.

image.jpg1_zpsxfra5txo.jpg

Wish this otherwise nice shot weren't so blurry. Anyone want to take a stab at the combined weight of the crew in this photo? One photo shows a fairly average sized Westerner. Can't tell about the others.

CEO of Corsair gave an update:

-Full Farrier fold mechanism to be fitted

-More dihedral

-Bowsprit standard

-Washboards for cockpit

This boat has just become the leader in this segment if the cost is contained.

http://sail.corsairmarine.com/sailing-review-on-the-pulse-600

Good review by the CEO. Hopefully this all happens as states. Based on these improvements it will be streets ahead of the searail in my view.

I am not sure I agree with the statement that only cruising families want a farrier folding system. I mostly want the boat to race, but my problem is I don't have two other big crew to help assemble. I am willing to sacrifice the weight to have a boat which I can rig and launch single handed. It will mean the boat will get sailed a lot more often.

I hope to have an order down pretty soon. Just got to work our where I am living coming July 2015.

Well, it was labeled a poptop in an earlier exploded view. With the color variations, makes sense.

Looks like it separates from just in front of the hoop that supports the mast

post-33029-0-49716800-1425077944_thumb.jpg

Sheeting angle also looks a bit tight - should probably be alongside cabin

Glad to see management is listening to views from the forums.

A few items on my wish list.

- ability to lift and lower screacher while sailing. Not only does a furled screacher disrupt the airflow, it also significant reduced the luff tension on the jib. Definitely want to be able to drop the screacher while pointing up wind in a good wind. Otherwise the tension on the furled screacher as it crashes through waves causes the jib luff to sag.

- my preference is for a hanked on jib with batterns. I see no need for a furler on the jib. A hanked on jib is very easy to launch and retrieve and gives better sail shape. Maybe both could be acceptable for OD sailing. Could be an owner choice.

- attachments for a light wind spinnaker, as an option. Definitely something I would add if sailing in a mixed fleet. Not required for OD sailing.

- bow nets, at least as an option, they create lot of extra space and makes it a lot safer to deal with issues at the bow.

- mini split pulpit, as an option. Again a safety issue, also makes it easy to drop the screacher and gives an attachment point for temporary bow lights if sailed at night.

- it would be good to see the proposal for the overboard bracket. Probably need a 3-4 hp for this boat.

Thanks for developing a good target boat for this size range.

Here ya go.........

btw, good to see that Corsair is indeed listening":

Bowsprit: The boat was initially designed without a bowsprit for reasons of simplicity and economy, and it was in this form that I sailed the boat. Regardless, on my sail, the conditions were too strong for us to fly a screecher. However, in the lighter winds of the previous day Zam did and agreed with many of the Corsair Dealers who believed a bowsprit would assist in downwind screecher handling. I agree with this and so a bowsprit will be standard for the One Design class.

Folding system: Prior to launching the boat in Nha Trang, we had already decided to replace the originally designed soft strut folding system with our tried and tested solid bar Corsair folding system. Although the soft strut was light and worked adequately with 2 or 3 persons involved in the process, it was decided that this system was not suitable for our cruising family owners. I am pleased with this decision as the Pulse will now be easy and convenient to fold both on and off the water. - See more at: http://sail.corsairmarine.com/sailing-review-on-the-pulse-600#sthash.aOYsb4DO.dpuf

Cheers!!!

-MH

Certainly don't mind the changes if the price is the same.

Come on Corsair. Keep it affordable and talk about how you will support and grow an OD class.

Good for Corsair for be willing to test and change until they feel they have it just right, I'd suspect these won't be the last tweaks. Hopefully they have a price target that they are holding firm to as well.

CEO of Corsair gave an update:

-Full Farrier fold mechanism to be fitted

-More dihedral

-Bowsprit standard

-Washboards for cockpit

Good to see Corsair doing their first ever trimaran design from the ground up, and it is good to have a bit of action in that size boat. It will be interesting to watch how it goes, and, if successful, it could help boost the whole trimaran market segment, which is good for everyone.

However, a small point of order - my name or the full "Farrier Folding System™" cannot be used in association with any trimaran or its folding system, unless it has been designed by, or checked over and endorsed by me. There has already been damage done by copies that have not performed well, or worse, have failed.

An acceptable way to describe a copy is as a 'Farrier Copy' or a 'Farrier Type', and Corsair is doing the right thing by calling their now coming version a "double bar' folding system. Corsair has designed one folding system before, this being the copy used on the C36/C37, so there is some history.

Incorporating a good folding system can be difficult and expensive, but if done right it can certainly make the boat.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

^

Word.

Without a good folding system, something that allows the boat to fold safety on the water, forget about it. For something like the P600, I wouldn't require it to motor folded, like most of the F series boats, but it absolutely needs to fold at the dock to either be ramped or craned in and out of the water. Absolutely critical IMO.

^

Word.

Without a good folding system, something that allows the boat to fold safety on the water, forget about it. For something like the P600, I wouldn't require it to motor folded, like most of the F series boats, but it absolutely needs to fold at the dock to either be ramped or craned in and out of the water. Absolutely critical IMO.

Hi all,

Very exciting indeed!!! I think that motoring (at least slowly) should be possible, otherwise it would make it difficult to get out of a lift located at a tight spot. There are many places like that everywhere I have been. Again, that possibility will increase costumer base.

I think a good folding system is actually critical, yet I think Corsair already figured this out.

The other question is whether the folding system would be able to hold the amas "hanging".

Does a small dihedral make the boat annoying when on a mooring or dock, or does it have to be a lot like the Multi 23?

Cheers,

That pretty funny KBC.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one. Not fair to get into details on public forum. Will just make the general statement that the Pulse will be treated same as Sprint and have no issue at all getting rated and entered as boat in class the OAs already include. Good luck with a beach cat. Not saying it can't be done and yes it is occasionally done, but it requires moving mountains and a really energetic champion. Not me brother. Not me. Had my turn in barrel.

But of course if we never thaw it will not matter. Geeze, 3 straight weeks no frostbiting.

We've gotten the beach cats as a class included in races, and there continues to be interest. Not going to try to put a bc in another class that doesn't understand. However, Pulse would probably be welcome in both places at least on the Bay. But make no mistake - this ain't a big boat - I suspect there's a noticeable difference between hopping onto one of these and hopping on a Sprint. Any distance race on this will take the right mindset and prep.

Good to see that they listened on the sprit and folding mech. Will make a big diff. Will be fun to see and sail on one!

Bob - I'm sure BAMA would give a PHRF, and you could get RYC races, but would it qualify for three bridge, Rites of Spring, the ditch?

answered my own question on SSS

c. Any multihull at least 19 feet LOA and at least 8 feet wide with a current BAMA Multihull PHRF Certificate.

To answer several questions about the Pulse, some of which have already been answered (but the questions keep being repeated):

1. yes the jib will be on a furler--it is pretty clearly shown in the photos

2. yes you can drop the Gennaker/furling spinnaker/Code Zero (whatever you prefer to call it). The mechanism is called a halyard. (Seriously what else did you expect--a gennaker that you could never take down??)

3. yes the folding mechanism will have a rigid lower strut AND the boat can be folded on or off the water

4. yes the cuddy cabin will have lockable washboards

5. current plans are for an optional carbon bowsprit to keep the gennaker further away from the jib so the jib can be used together with the gennaker. Non racers may elect not to order the bowsprit.

6. no there are no current plans for bow nets. There is plenty of room to sit in the cockpit and side nets without adding bow nets and their weight, windage and cost. Owners can always rig zig zag spectra "safety lines" between bow and floats if they wish

7. more photos and videos will be made available as soon as they can be obtained. Patience fellas, the Corsair factory is a long way from the water. Frankly I think we should all be glad we've seen as much as we have this early in the construction/production process.

To answer several questions about the Pulse, some of which have already been answered (but the questions keep being repeated):

1. yes the jib will be on a furler--it is pretty clearly shown in the photos

2. yes you can drop the Gennaker/furling spinnaker/Code Zero (whatever you prefer to call it). The mechanism is called a halyard. (Seriously what else did you expect--a gennaker that you could never take down??)

3. yes the folding mechanism will have a rigid lower strut AND the boat can be folded on or off the water

4. yes the cuddy cabin will have lockable washboards

5. current plans are for an optional carbon bowsprit to keep the gennaker further away from the jib so the jib can be used together with the gennaker. Non racers may elect not to order the bowsprit.

6. no there are no current plans for bow nets. There is plenty of room to sit in the cockpit and side nets without adding bow nets and their weight, windage and cost. Owners can always rig zig zag spectra "safety lines" between bow and floats if they wish

7. more photos and videos will be made available as soon as they can be obtained. Patience fellas, the Corsair factory is a long way from the water. Frankly I think we should all be glad we've seen as much as we have this early in the construction/production process.

Seriously? You were expecting patience here? :P

Liking the changes; scared what they do to pricing.

So come on, out with the big question already...

* What does it cost, delivered to US east coast w racing sails, trailer, and outboard?

Don't make me call that SM guy (sail quotes please!). Every time I do, I spend more money and my wife gets mad.

Wess

PS - Do you guys still plan to have one (in final form?) at Nationals? Are charters available?

Has the schedule changed, or is this still scheduled to be available for Spring 2015 in North America?

(Test it, incorporate feedback and make it perfect, but don't increase cost or schedule - these seem to conflict.)

The current plan/hope is to get two Pulses for evaluation and feedback to the Corsair Rendezvous and Nationals, with the changes decided upon during the first test sail in Vietnam. One with and one without a bowsprit. But it's very tight, as they will have to be shipped from Vietnam within a couple of weeks to make it. Additional Pulses should follow shortly thereafter for the USA market, so yes the Pulse will be available in the Spring of 2015.

There won't be any available for charter in Pensacola, but there should be opportunities to try one out late afternoon on Friday at Juana's in Navarre.

Estimated final all-up pricing in the USA should be around $38k with sails, trailer, motor etc. The intention is to make the bowsprit an option. But it will not be an expensive option, as its not a huge spar.

The outboard motor bracket will most likely be mounted on the transom. There is just enough room for it.

The current plan/hope is to get two Pulses for evaluation and feedback to the Corsair Rendezvous and Nationals, with the changes decided upon during the first test sail in Vietnam. One with and one without a bowsprit. But it's very tight, as they will have to be shipped from Vietnam within a couple of weeks to make it. Additional Pulses should follow shortly thereafter for the USA market, so yes the Pulse will be available in the Spring of 2015.

There won't be any available for charter in Pensacola, but there should be opportunities to try one out late afternoon on Friday at Juana's in Navarre.

Estimated final all-up pricing in the USA should be around $38k with sails, trailer, motor etc. The intention is to make the bowsprit an option. But it will not be an expensive option, as its not a huge spar.

The outboard motor bracket will most likely be mounted on the transom. There is just enough room for it.

Nice.

Thank you!

I assume a different sail comes w the sprit option, yes?

Is it too early to beg you guy to place full time staff and some boats in Naps for demos at TESODs or Wed nights, and jump start an OD thing? :ph34r:

And have I mentioned that you would look good sailing an F27? I know of one for serious sale now. B)

Mate,

I was concerned as a likely future owner that the Pulse would sail around Weta style with the Gennaker always up in OD format, this is not so good for a number of reasons.

Also noted the board style rudder on the Pulse. Good idea. In shallow water you can just pull it up as far as you need to and keep on going. All my current tri's require that you completely lift the rudder. They're either up or they're down, or trailing which puts them in a situation where they're easily damaged.

Mate,

I was concerned as a likely future owner that the Pulse would sail around Weta style with the Gennaker always up in OD format, this is not so good for a number of reasons.

You can drop the Weta screecher on the water if you prefer, and if you're running the larger, optional screecher (white) that's what they recommend.

Yeah, you just have to buy a longer than stock halyard. In fact, the winner of the Wetafest a couple of years ago, a young lady named Tony? with crew Randy Smyth, did drop the screecher for a long, upwind leg. So, it must not be against the class OD rules.

Bruce Fleming has experimented w/ dropping the screecher upwind during short W/L races, but, I think it is too much to deal with singlehanding on short courses. SA Zombie, do you care to clarify?