CATARI comes along at Pacific Seacraft

Bull:

Hard for me to rep for the owner given I live in the PNW and have other projects to attend to. I am trying hard to fulfill that roll on the four carbon cutters project. But in that case I am only 60 minutes from the shop.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beautiful bass KDH.   This is my custom PRS made for me by Paul Reed Smith in exchange for some design work I did for him. I toured the factory, told him what I had in mind and just left the

Looking for news about Catari and realized I'd never posted the finished bass pic.

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins, but I confess I do envy you folks with musical gifts (Honed through years of practice...I get it!) All I've got is my voice, which I think sounds awesome in

Posted Images

In a construction project, the architect represents the owner.

Not always, we did a number of construction project in my old company with an "owners rep". That arrangement is quite common on Seattle construction projects.

In a construction project, the architect represents the owner.

Not always, we did a number of construction project in my old company with an "owners rep". That arrangement is quite common on Seattle construction projects.

I'm just speaking in general terms, based on there being three architects in my family, and some experience in construction lending... about 100 years ago.

Bull:

Hard for me to rep for the owner given I live in the PNW and have other projects to attend to. I am trying hard to fulfill that roll on the four carbon cutters project. But in that case I am only 60 minutes from the shop.

I see your role as similar to the architect. The scope and duration of the assignment can be almost anything. Sometimes the architect's assignment continues through construction, sometimes it's pretty much over when the construction drawings are delivered, and I suppose sometimes it never ends.

I think it's great that you make a living doing something you love, even if you have to listen to the occasional Barbra S. cassette.

Bull:

I see your role as similar to the architect. The scope and duration of the assignment can be almost anything. Sometimes the architect's assignment continues through construction, sometimes it's pretty much over when the construction drawings are delivered, and I suppose sometimes it never ends.

I think it's great that you make a living doing something you love, even if you have to listen to the occasional Barbra S. cassette.

Not just the Barbra S. cassette, for all its trauma.

There's also the trauma of watching polished designs being compromised, such as the shed built on top of Yoni, and Catari's saloon being turned into a place for 18th-century powdered wigs.

Bull:

Not just the Barbra S. cassette, for all its trauma.

There's also the trauma of watching polished designs being compromised, such as the shed built on top of Yoni, and Catari's saloon being turned into a place for 18th-century powdered wigs.

Legs, I assume you're referring to the two arm chairs in place of the settee. If so, I can see both sides. If I were the owner and wanted the arm chairs, so as to have a comfortable spot for those times at anchor or in port, I would ask the designer for clever ideas on how to have both - a settee that can convert to two armchairs with a humidor/brandy stowage in between.

But Bull, right, but that's not what the client asked for. People seem to have a difficult time grasping the process. If you think the client just blurted out all of a sudden, "I want two chairs!" you are very much mistaken. I'll leave it at that. I have exhausted ways to explain the procedure involved.

But Bull, right, but that's not what the client asked for. People seem to have a difficult time grasping the process. If you think the client just blurted out all of a sudden, "I want two chairs!" you are very much mistaken. I'll leave it at that. I have exhausted ways to explain the procedure involved.

I forgot the tongue-in-cheek symbol.

There is an "Owner's Rep" on this project. The scope of the role didn't include project managing the yard. During the early phases, the scope was focused on specifications, design, and equipment reviews/selection. It's evident that there is a need to change approach with the yard, with more frequent follow-up onsite, for longer periods than a two day visit every month.

There is an "Owner's Rep" on this project. The scope of the role didn't include project managing the yard. During the early phases, the scope was focused on specifications, design, and equipment reviews/selection. It's evident that there is a need to change approach with the yard, with more frequent follow-up onsite, for longer periods than a two day visit every month.

Interesting, after all the glowing reports before...

I've done many construction projects and a few boats too. As one approaches the end of project it is common for things to reach a snail pace. Often parts are backordered and the remaining work is highly detailed. I recall reading some time ago that Baltic was building a boat that they expected it would require 4 years to complete.

Cuan: The yard is doing a great job but we feel it could be accelerated a bit. I wouldn't get carried away with the negative assumption if I were you. This is a big and very complex project.

I'm not at all carried away...too many glowing reports before about the Carolina lads.

I know from years in the building industry that that last 10-15% of the work can take 30-40% of the time.

Just thought the comment interesting....

Want quick, buy a Beneteau. Want a piece of art ? Be patient. In 25 years guess who will still be smiling?

I think the row away factor on Catari will go to 11.

Austin: It's a very special skill. It would be a stretch for me. I'm not organized enough.

To do it well, it takes both organization and the vision to look 2-3 steps ahead. I agree with Austin. As a PM type, i find that a lot of folks don't see it as a discipline. Those folks usually have schedule delays, cost overruns and disappointed customers.

It's not a discipline for me. It's a need. I can see the path. I cannot make the things to get there but I always know how it can be done right.

My OCD fires off when it deviates. Wapner is at 2. Always at 2. Definitely at 2.

Definitely.

Of course, that means the cobbler's kids have no shoes either.

Those tables are mock ups. The "two tables of mystery" approach was shit canned. Does't hurt to explore even the whackiest of ideas.. We have returned to the table I drew three years ago with minor changes to the starboard leaf to accommodate the arm chairs. I am not a "chairs in the salon" kind of guy but I can assure you that those chairs are very comfortable for lounging. Dining? We'll see. Maybe throw a small pillow behind your back. You do not lean back when you eat. You lean forward over the table.

Those chairs are being used for dining as well as lounging? Interesting choice.

Whenever I'm on a boat with a different layout from what's on Quill and Quail I appreciate the tried and true arrangement. Six workable sea berths, four that are good. A head, galley, nav station. Comfortable place to eat. Plenty of stowage.

stacks_image_140.jpg

Jose:

Those are Newfound Metals portlights.

A little "secret" about NFM; you can order custom sized port lights in virtually any dimension and while they are expensive, they are not as expensive as you would think massive polished SS custom sized port lights would be. And they are beasts. I refit my boat with a bunch of them and the first one I hefted one out of the box almost gave me a hernia.

Gorgeous boat Bob. Looking at it, and listening to you talk about the owner's specific requirements highlights for me how individual we all are about what we want in a boat from it's "big picture" design specs down to the smallest details.

Let's hope the owner never gets divorced. Would suck to have to have short girlfriends from there on out.

I was the cabinetmaker/millwork/joiner guy on a couple of massively complex and expensive custom home builds on St John VI in a former life. Much like this CATARI project, cost was not really a concern, just create the dream of a lifetime for a well funded client. Despite that initial goal, as the project proceeded, sometimes in an agonizingly manner, the rule that the last 15% of the finish work takes 40% of the time and money allotted would raise its ugly head. One of my co-workers, the trim carpenter, looked over at me just after a visit by the client in which the completion date and budget were the main concern, and asked me,

"Do you know why they call it 'Finish Work'?"

"Because the money is finished!"

Sad, but often true...

We are still well under the timeframe then!!

I still can't wait to see Catari on the Chesapeake. When it gets launched and heads north, I'll probably come out in my 4KSB to check it out. Hopefully they'll have a VHF turned on so I don't scare them..

If it's behind schedule or over budget it wouldn't be a big surprise. It's a big complex boat that is system rich and being built to a high standard.

Just think of the mechanicals required: There are plumbing runs for engine and generator, AC, galley, lav and the exits to either holding tanks and/or overboard as well as bilge pumps and their plumbing. The ship wiring is probably two DC voltages, both 30 and 50 amp feeds and bonding, all the heavy gear (winches, bow thruster, auto pilot, freezer, windlass) requires 2/0 cable, that's s a bitch to run. The instrumentation is probably top notch and even though NEMA 2000 makes this easier it'll still require sailing instruments, navigation equipment, tank monitors, engine monitors and battery monitors with readouts in multiple locations The heating and cooling units require ductwork and take big chunks of room and the boat has at least two units maybe three. Building the hull and deck is what, 20~25% of the cost? Building all the cabinetry, finishing to a high level and hiding all the mechanicals is very time consuming and expensive. And to top it all off it's a sailboat so spars, standing rigging, running rigging, gear, hardware and sails have to be mounted and hydraulics or electric brought to those components requiring it.

Building something like this must be fun but daunting, their is a lot of gear to install in not a very big platform but certainly it will be beautiful when complete.

I was looking back at some of the pics of Catari and had a thought - due to the length of time that boat has been building, just the cost of the shop space it occupies would buy most of us a lot bigger & nicer boat than we have.

If it's behind schedule or over budget it wouldn't be a big surprise. It's a big complex boat that is system rich and being built to a high standard.

Just think of the mechanicals required: There are plumbing runs for engine and generator, AC, galley, lav and the exits to either holding tanks and/or overboard as well as bilge pumps and their plumbing. The ship wiring is probably two DC voltages, both 30 and 50 amp feeds and bonding, all the heavy gear (winches, bow thruster, auto pilot, freezer, windlass) requires 2/0 cable, that's s a bitch to run. The instrumentation is probably top notch and even though NEMA 2000 makes this easier it'll still require sailing instruments, navigation equipment, tank monitors, engine monitors and battery monitors with readouts in multiple locations The heating and cooling units require ductwork and take big chunks of room and the boat has at least two units maybe three. Building the hull and deck is what, 20~25% of the cost? Building all the cabinetry, finishing to a high level and hiding all the mechanicals is very time consuming and expensive. And to top it all off it's a sailboat so spars, standing rigging, running rigging, gear, hardware and sails have to be mounted and hydraulics or electric brought to those components requiring it................

.....and drink holders, lots of drink holders!!!

Heck, FRANCIS LEE ran well over budget and took much longer to build than we first guessed. And she is very simple and straight forward. (But I am responsible for the overruns because once I discovered the level of talent available I threw the budget away and went for the best possible outcome based on what I was trying to accomplish.)

I think we all enjoyed every minute and dollar. Thanks to Bob and Kim for providing such high-quality and free education and entertainment.

I am happy every time I look out of my window and see FRANCIS LEE moored at my dock. I had her over at CSR a few weeks ago for some work and I really missed seeing her!

Last night's race was hardly fair, we do have a staggered start and we start last, but with her speed upwind she is very hard to beat. (Double digits to weather covers a lot of territory.)

And she is so well behaved!

Double digits to weather with 3 relaxed people aboard. That's fucking awesome.

Well, one of them is a world class sailor (2nd in the world's in a sportsboat class a couple years ago.)

He brought along his 14 year old son and we had a BLAST, the three of us. It was nice having him call the sail trim and tactics.

I sure don't seem to have any problem attracting good sailors to FRANCIS.

I can even get Bob to sail with us often.

BUT, this thread is about a very nice cruising boat, not my Daysailer.

I am happy every time I look out of my window and see FRANCIS LEE moored at my dock. I had her over at CSR a few weeks ago for some work and I really missed seeing her!

Last night's race was hardly fair, we do have a staggered start and we start last, but with her speed upwind she is very hard to beat. (Double digits to weather covers a lot of territory.)

And she is so well behaved!

It's amazing how quickly you get used to that........

I find it interesting that the mermaids are not mirror images.

The breasts on the left are a bit perkier--at least a bit less affected by gravity. Also the nipples on the right are just a bit more prominent.

Those mermaids by their shape are also clearly on the shorter side. I'm going to guess Mrs ND had a part in modeling.

That was my idea. I bowed out of the Mermaid Project early. Honestly it did not interest me. WHL was into it and produced a single mermaid image. I had some ideas for the hair and that's about it. Then while fooling around with it he produced the mirror image combo. I really liked it and I suggest they he make them not quite mirror images. I still would prefer the tails top be less symmetrical. WHL had them less symmetrical at one point but I think the committee voted it down. WHL did a good job on this project.

Doc "I'm going to show you some Rorsach images, what do you see?"

Patient, "A couple in 69"

Doc, "This one?"

Patient , "A couple in missionary'.

Doc "This one?"

Patient, "Vulva"

Doc, "Do you always think about sex?"

Patient "Do you always show dirty pictures?"

• 1 month later...

In touch with yard today: remaining Antal gear (custom made), supposed to arrive early October, and all deck hardware installed soon after that.

Re: sails, Butch says they are all done and he'll bring them down when the boat has been launched and the rig in.

Some more pics will be posted in October.

Soaker:

I buy almost all my shoes at Nordstroms. They stock a good many styles in the lager sizes. I started shopping there for shoes when I hit size 13.

I have worn Sebago boat shoes forever.

My foul weather boots are Gill.

My winter time Romeos are, get this, "Geogia Giants!

I have some dress loafers but I wear them about twice a year.

I get my socks from Filson.

Thanks for the info, I'll check the Nordstroms web site. Yeah, big socks are a problem too. Last time I was in the US, I was at one of these two for one bargain shoe outlets because my daughter loves to shoe shop. I was waiting when she came to me with a pair of canvas Sperry Topsiders in size 15. I looked and they had another pair so I scored 2 pairs for 50 dollars. That was the last place I expected to find shoes in my size. Yeah, big socks are hard to find too.

Go to largefeet.com. Friedman's in Atlanta. Lots of NBA players shop there.

Py:

I sure hope you don't hurt her feelings. My Dad gave me shit about my feet from the time I was 12 and my feet were bigger than his. I had to start buying my shoes at Nordstroms and my shoes cost more than his and I heard about it constantly. It bothered me. By HS I was buying my own shoes.