Drone anarchy

DJI Launches Phantom 3 Aerial Drone with 12MP Camera, 4K Video Capture, and Live YouTube Streaming
By Dan Havlik • Posted: Apr 8, 2015

DJI-Phantom-3_0.jpg?itok=utG0_fOg

DJI just launched a brand new camera drone: the Phantom 3 quadcopter, which features an improved video and still camera along with several new tools to make shooting and sharing aerial video and photos with this UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) easier.

The Phantom 3 can capture 4K video along with 12MP still photos in Adobe’s DNG Raw format for optimized image quality and resolution.

The new Phantom 3 was unveiled at special, simultaneous events in New York City, London, and Munich today to emphasize the global impact DJI’s drones have had on aerial imaging.

“The camera system on the Phantom 3 is the most technologically advanced of any you’ll see on a consumer quadcopter,” DJI’s Eric Cheng told a packed crowd at the New York City launch event. “This is an unprecedented leap in consumer aerial imaging and it’s one that needs to be seen to believed.”

DJI-Phantom-3-Pricing.jpg

The remote control for the new Phantom 3 features integrated camera controls with dedicated buttons to let drone pilots adjust the camera more easily and accurately in flight, Cheng said. “This makes a huge different in what the camera sees,” he noted.

The Phantom 3 also has more powerful and more efficient copter motors, which lets it accelerate and decelerate faster while letting the user control the drone’s speed more easily and accurately, Cheng said. Meanwhile, three built-in sensors in the Phantom 3 monitor the ground to help prevent crashes.

Improved battery life gives the Phantom 3 approximately 23 minutes of air time, while new flight stabilizations systems keep the drone steadier in the air. In-flight position lock happens more quickly and accurately, he added.

DJI’s Pilot app, which is available for smartphones and tablet computers, shows a live map during drone flight. It also now lets you control camera tilt and adjust photo settings on the fly including exposure, white balance and more.

Other intriguing new features include the ability to live stream your aerial video from the drone to YouTube; and the new Director automated video editing system, which will piece together your footage for you to “create awe-inspiring montages of aerial clips.”

The new DJI Phantom 3 will come in two versions: a professional model that will shoot 4K video in 24FPS, 25FPS, and 30FPS; and an advanced version, which shoots 1080P HD in 60P. Phantom 3 Professional will sell for $1,259, and Phantom 3 Advanced will go for $999.

s.gif

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before Smart Phones, Drugs & Drones Kidz were entertained while learning Basic fighter maneuvers While getting kind of a Major Buzz without batteries    

Sailors Die At Sea While USCG Drone Program Remains Hard Aground January 30, 2018 by John Konrad Photo of a private ocean search and rescue capable drone by Phuwadach Pattanat

Hmmm... that didn't go well. How do I inform them that 12:45 pm is not night in this part of the world?

Posted Images

Canon Unveils DSLR-Style XC10 4K Video Camera with 12MP Still Photo Shooting

http://www.shutterbug.com/content/canon-unveils-dslr-style-xc10-4k-video-camera-12mp-still-photo-shooting

By Dan Havlik • Posted: Apr 8, 2015

Canon-XC10-2.jpg?itok=GoikXqR6

At first I was thinking that it was big and bulky but I now see that the "body" of it is not that much bigger than my tiny Canon 100D/SL1 and at 1kg it is light.

I think DJI and a other quad companies will be racing to develop/adapt gimbals to suit this

No reason they couldn't make that camera as to have the hand grip

and rear screen w eye piece removable

leaving a remote only gopro style rig for drone type applacations

I wonder if the grip is removable too? That'd shed some weight and windage. (edit)- Woody's odd use of spacing asked that already.

The Phantom 3 looks pretty impressive for the money. I'm assuming DJI came out with it since they realized they're potentially losing money to GoPro by not supplying the camera.

I hate how quickly tech moves sometimes. I've got probably close to $2k into my F550, I should've just waited ten seconds and picked up an Inspire. It'd be working straight out of the box. I still can't figure out how to get the gimbal to power up, or to get my OSD to switch from the flight camera to the GoPro.

I was considering at some point building a platform to shoot from with a gopro. Except for the very expensive batteries and losing the fun of building your own, the phantom lineup or the inspire is looking pretty good for the money. I guess it's a bit like the PC/mac in that one you can build and it'll typically come out a bit cheaper in exchange for fiddling while on the other hand you can buy the marginally more expensive product and it works before it leaves the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Drone action on the Calawah River near Forks, Wa. One of my favorite rivers to enjoy a peaceful day fishing. Towards the end a large steelhead is hooked. I like the technology but this kind of sucks. Now I have drones flying around my house cause one of my neighbors has one and now this. Dust off the 12 gauge I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

June 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Urgent Info Lake Fire: UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle)in area of Onyx, fixed wing air craft grounded, until further notice . CAL FIRE Bernardino Unit: Grounded fixed wing may be diverted to other incidents. Drones are losing us tools to stop this fire.

We need some laws on the books NOW for these fucktards.

If you're going to be an idiot and get in the way of people trying to do their job, especially to the point of grounding aircraft, you deserve to have your toy confiscated and you personally charged with any resulting damage. When the laws come out, I wouldn't be opposed to the ability to prevent somebody from operating anything that can fly above a few feet under its own power.

More on the drone over the Lake fire. It was flying over 11,600 feet above it's legal limit and flew between an air tanker and it's lead plane. A second one was also spotted nearby.

Drone over massive San Bernardino County fire ‘could’ve killed everybody in the air,’ official says

By Jim Steinberg, The Sun

and Joe Nelson, The Sun

POSTED:

06/25/15, 11:24 AM PDT | UPDATED: 9 HRS AGO7 COMMENTS
Mike Eaton, a U.S. Forest Service Aviation Officer, was on an "air attack" mission when they encountered the drone. (Rick Sforza — Staff photographer)

SAN BERNARDINO >> As if four years of drought, thousands of acres of decades-old brush and more than 25,000 acres up in smoke weren’t enough for entrenched fire crews, Southern California’s first major wildfire of the year brought a man-made hazard to the skies that could have cost lives: Drones.

Firefighters battling the massive Lake Fire deep in the San Bernardino Mountains found themselves waging war Thursday against the remote-controlled flying machines, in this case civilian drones that halted aerial fire-suppression efforts on Wednesday and contributed to the spread of the fire and threatened lives, officials said.

Must have been quite a rig to fly at 11,600ft. Unlikely an off the shelf consumer grade product.

Never done much above 200' with my Bebop. It's Fucktards like them that will spoil it for the rest of us.

My son is assigned to that fire. He said they shut down the air attack twice yesterday because of drones. Once they were working a tough piece of line and really needed the air support. I have a feeling this is going to become very common.

I'm eyeing the control board with onboard memory for blackbox storage. But it's hard to justify the shipping to Canada...

You Do have a Drone .... Yes

No Shipping, No Customs Fees, No Doubt

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm eyeing the control board with onboard memory for blackbox storage. But it's hard to justify the shipping to Canada...

You Do have a Drone .... Yes

No Shipping, No Customs Fees, No Doubt

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Prob make a few bux on the side as well.....

The Seawolf Is an Actual Submarine For Your GoPro Camera

Deeper depths for those with deeper pockets

By Jeanette D. Moses Posted June 4, 2015

By now, we're used to seeing all kinds of drones that can take a GoPro camera up into the air, but the TTRobotix wants to take it under the sea. The Seawolf is a remote control submarine that features an integrated GoProp mount.

The two-foot long Seawolf works up to 26 feet below the water's surface and reaches a top speed of roughly 2 mph. A built in battery will keep it running for 50 minutes. The sub comes in two versions: one for fresh water and one for salt water—because apparently that makes a difference in terms of transmitting radio waves. The GoPro sub will be available in August and cost approximately $1,000.

[Via: Popular Science]

• 71TmBQ7%2Bk1L._SX522_.jpg
Roll over image to zoom in

Hubsan X4 H107C 2.4G 4CH Quadcopter with Camera, Includes BONUS BATTERY (*Doubles Flying Time*) with Guard Cover, Yellow Black (EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITION!!)
by Hubsan
List Price: $99.99 Price: $69.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members You Save: $30.00 (30%)
Note: Available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.
In Stock.
Sold by USA Toyz and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
  • New Hubsan X4 H107C RC quadcopter with 0.3 MP Camera: Recording module
  • Latest 6-axis flight control system with adjustable gyro sensitivity; Beginner and Expert flight modes
  • Directional Control (Left, Right, Forward, Backward, Sideways Left, Sideways Right
  • 2.4 Ghz Transmitter with LCD screen, Lightweight airframe with nice durability; Equipped with 4 LED Lights and Blade Protection Guard
  • BONUS BATTERY DOUBLES FLYING TIME: Just pop in the bonus battery and continue flying. Save yourself from a 45-60 minute charging delay.
3 new from $69.88
California Bill Lets on-the-Job Firefighters Take Out Drones By Associated Press
7-17-15+Cajon+Fire+24.JPG
NewsChopper4
Cars burn on Interstate 15 in the North Fire that broke out in Cajon Pass on Friday, July 17, 2015.

Two lawmakers are taking steps to stop drones from interfering in firefighting efforts after several incidents in California.

One bill, SB167, would increase fines and make jail time possible for drone use that interferes with firefighting efforts.

And on Monday, Republican Sen. Ted Gaines of El Dorado and Democratic Assemblyman Mike Gatto of Glendale also announced SB168, which would grant immunity to emergency responders who damage drones during firefighting or rescue operations.

It comes after firefighters say efforts to put out a large wildfire on Interstate 15 last week were hampered by five drones being flown in the area.

Friday's blaze destroyed 20 vehicles on the freeway linking Southern California and Las Vegas. It spread to other communities and has since burned more homes and vehicles.

Published 4 hours ago
Copyright Associated Press

Idiots. 400 ft. AGL and only over your own property or yourself. You fly over anyone else and you deserve to have your toy made into toast.

^^^^^ Exactly the people for whom laws that Fuckover the rest of us are passed

Now the debait over if this was staged to give Action that Justifies a Desired ReAction was the case

won't be thought of by 99%

Fly Legal Now! lFAA NPRM – 333 Exemption COA Under 200ft

Apr 07, 2015 No Comments by Erica Driver
32f28fc2-dbd2-453d-b88c-b463c93b245e-180

The past few months of this year have brought on some significant changes to the progress we wished to see in moving forward the evolution of commercial drone operations in America. These changes are encouraging, but they are just a start! It is important that the commercial drone community continue to be active and engaged with this process to assure the safe and ethical integration of aerial robotics in America.

I know it is hard to believe but the UAVSA has grown solely by word of mouth and by it’s partnerships with incredible speed and we are grateful for your support and your membership. We have decided to officially launch globally, and are going to accomplish this through a public outreach program to increase positive awareness about drones, the membership and influence the UAVSA, and the ability of the commercial drone community to contribute to the betterment of all mankind.

With this announcement we are also launching the first program to assist our members with an FAA issued 333 Exemption to fly drones commercially and legally in the National Air Space of the United State of America. The UAVSA “Fast Track to 333 Exemption” is the first program of its kind and we encourage you go to uavsa.org/333 for more information and to apply.

The UAVSA is very excited for this December’s 2nd Annual International Drone Expo, IDE 2015, which is going to be at the LA Convention Center December 11-12. We are already gearing up with Aerial Media Pros, DJI, DroneFly, Flir, Samy’s Camera, DreamQii, and many more important members of our community. We have 65,000 sq. ft. of Expo space open to the public, and an additional 10,000 sq. ft. for the pro conference. If you where at the last Expo you know just how incredible and fun it was and we are looking forward to seeing you this year! Please go to the official website for more information and updates at intdroneexpo.comIts not often that we see the pilots of manned and unmanned aircraft team up but we are happy to announce that the UAVSA and the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) have officially teamed up and are committed to ushering in the future of aerospace. The EAA holds one of the largest air shows in the world, the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2015, and the UAVSA will be participating as an official partner and exhibitor.
Our partnership with the EAA is with the understanding that aviation and aerospace are evolving and there are many pilots that currently are eligible to obtain their FAA 333 Exemption and fly drones commercially and legally. The UAVSA is committed to training and assisting licensed pilots that wish to receive their 333 Exemption that could be placed in the employment of companies that need drone pilots, or wish to start their own business in the “New Drone Economy”. Please go to uavsa.org/333 for more information and to apply.The FAA issued its Small UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) on February 15th. We feel there are items in the NPRM that are far behind the technology available for the safe and ethical operation of commercial drones and we are confident at the UAVSA that the commenting period (ending April 24th) of stakeholders required by law will vet many of these misunderstandings, and that there will be a number of NPRM periods issued by the FAA before the final rules are issued.Here is a summary of the NPRM:Operational Limitations:
  • Unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).
  • Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the operator or visual observer.
  • At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the operator for the operator to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.
  • Small-unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly involved in the operation.
  • Daylight-only operations (official sunrise to official sunset, local time).
  • Must yield right-of-way to other aircraft, manned or unmanned.
  • May use visual observer (VO) but not required.
  • First-person view camera cannot satisfy “see-and-avoid” requirement but can be used as long as requirement is satisfied in other ways.
  • Maximum airspeed of 100 mph (87 knots).
  • Maximum altitude of 500 feet above ground level.
  • Minimum weather visibility of 3 miles from control station.
  • No operations are allowed in Class A (18,000 feet & above) airspace.
  • Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with the required ATC permission.
  • Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without ATC permission
  • No person may act as an operator or VO for more than one unmanned aircraft operation at one time.
  • No careless or reckless operations.
  • Requires preflight inspection by the operator.
  • A person may not operate a small-unmanned aircraft if he or she knows or has reason to know of any physical or mental condition that would interfere with the safe operation of a small UAS.
  • Proposes a microUAS option that would allow operations in Class G airspace, over people not involved in the operation, provided the operator certifies he or she has the requisite aeronautical knowledge to perform the operation.
Certification and Responsibilities
  • Pilots of a small UAS would be considered “operators”. Operator
    • Operators would be required to: Pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge-testing center.
    • Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
    • Obtain an unmanned aircraft operator certificate with a small UAS rating (like existing pilot airman certificates, never expires).
    • Pass a recurrent aeronautical knowledge test every 24 months.
    • Be at least 17 years old.
    • Make available to the FAA, upon request, the small UAS for inspection or testing, and any associated documents/records required to be kept under the proposed rule.
    • Report an accident to the FAA within 10 days of any operation that results in injury or property damage.
    • Conduct a preflight inspection, to include specific aircraft and control station systems checks, to ensure the small UAS is safe for operation.
Aircraft Requirements
  • FAA airworthiness certification not required. However, operator must maintain a small UAS in condition for safe operation and prior to flight must inspect the UAS to ensure that it is in a condition for safe operation. Aircraft Registration required (same requirements that apply to all other aircraft).
  • Aircraft markings required (same requirements that apply to all other aircraft). If aircraft is too small to display markings in standard size, then the aircraft simply needs to display markings in the largest practicable manner.
  • Proposed rule would not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the
  • Model Aircraft criteria specified in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95.
  • The proposed rule would codify the FAA’s enforcement authority in part 101 by prohibiting model aircraft operators from endangering the safety of the NAS.
Additionally on March 23rd the FAA issued an update to streamline the Certificate of Authorization (COA) for previously granted 333 Exemption holders for sUAS operations’ below 200ft. see the official comments below from the FAA website:“The Federal Aviation Administration has established an interim policy to speed up airspace authorizations for certain commercial unmanned aircraft (UAS) operators who obtain Section 333 exemptions. The new policy helps bridge the gap between the past process, which evaluated every UAS operation individually, and future operations after we publish a final version of the proposed small UAS rule.Under the new policy, the FAA will grant a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) for flights at or below 200 feet to any UAS operator with a Section 333 exemption for aircraft that weigh less than 55 pounds, operate during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions, operate within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the pilots, and stay certain distances away from airports or heliports:
  • 5 nautical miles (NM) from an airport having an operational control tower; or
  • 3 NM from an airport with a published instrument flight procedure, but not an operational tower; or
  • 2 NM from an airport without a published instrument flight procedure or an operational tower; or
  • 2 NM from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure

The “blanket” 200-foot COA allows flights anywhere in the country except restricted airspace and other areas, such as major cities, where the FAA prohibits UAS operations. Previously, an operator had to apply for and receive a COA for a particular block of airspace, a process that can take 60 days. The agency expects the new policy will allow companies and individuals who want to use UAS within these limitations to start flying much more quickly than before.Section 333 exemption holders will automatically receive a “blanket” 200 foot COA. For new exemption holders, the FAA will issue a COA at the time the exemption is approved. Anyone who wants to fly outside the blanket parameters must obtain a separate COA specific to the airspace required for that operation.”It is important to remember he FAA is responsible for the safety of all air traffic and sets the standards for such globally. There are millions of flights everyday, and many of us travel by air frequently and safely all around the world, and all of this is because of the FAA. We must as a united commercial drone community encourage the matriculation of information and advancements in technology to assist the FAA in making informed and important choices while creating the laws for the integration of sUAS (Drones) into the NAS (National Air Space). This is of great importance because history has proven that the United States FAA and its regulations on air traffic control become globally adopted standards of operation.

It is truly amazing to see all the wonderful events and conferences that have been created for this year and for our community, “Drone Fever” is upon us and the Tesla Foundation and the UAVSA are here to server our community in the best way we can. We look forward to hearing from you and please contact us anytime at uavsa.org. Until then, fly safe!
By Keith Kaplan CEO Tesla Foundation and UAVSA
About Air Age Media and UAVSA’S Partnership: Air Age Media, the publisher of RotorDrone Magazine, joined with UAV Systems Association in mutual support of the rapidly emerging drone and quadcopter industry, and its potential to cause a tremendous shift in our everyday lives. This new partnership expands RotorDrone Magazine’s reach and takes advantage of the highly anticipated expansion in the marketplace. UAVSA’s strong ties to the FAA will be instrumental in providing RotorDrone Magazine with the latest policy decisions as the social integration of this technology unfolds.

Welcome to the Future

Drone buzzes near San Diego plane as it lands in NYC

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Drone-buzzes--at-NYC-airport-283351291.html

plane9.jpg

Story Published: Nov 20, 2014 at 9:03 AM PDT

Story Updated: Nov 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM PDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- Federal officials are investigating after three commercial pilots reported drones flying near their planes as they approached New York City's Kennedy Airport this week.

The FAA says the latest incident occurred Wednesday as a JetBlue flight from Savannah, Georgia, reported spotting a drone when it was about two miles from the runway.

Authorities say on Sunday a Virgin Atlantic flight from London reported a drone sighting at about 3,000 feet near the jet. At about the same time, a Delta flight from San Diego reported a drone near one of its wings.

The FAA says in a statement that none of the pilots took evasive action. All three flights landed safely.

Nassau County police say they investigated, but did not locate any devices.

FAA: Drone spotted near Newark Liberty International Airport

By Associated Press | 4:19 a.m. Aug. 10, 2015

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/10/faa-drone-spotted-near-newark-liberty/

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Crews on four commercial flights spotted a drone while preparing to land at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

NJ.com reported (http://bit.ly/1MfelB9 ) none of the pilots were required to make evasive maneuvers as a result of Sunday's drone sighting. The planes were between 2,000 and 3,000 feet in the air and eight to 13 miles away from the airport.

The FAA said it has received a significant increase in reports of drones flying nearby planes as they have become a more popular item.

The FAA said flying a drone "anywhere near" an airplane can bring criminal charges and fines up to $25,000.

However, aviation safely consultant John Goglia said the FAA should be conducting tests like they do with bird strikes to determine whether drones threaten an aircraft's safety.

Speaking to The Associated Press, Goglia said assuming after testing that it is determined drones won't harm planes then pilots should "take the hit and keep on going."

___

Information from: NJ Advance Media.

Fisherman hooks drone flying over Crystal Pier

Posted 9:26 AM, August 10, 2015, by FOX 5 Digital Team, Updated at 09:58am, August 10, 2015

fisherman-drone.gif?w=770

SAN DIEGO – A man fishing on Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach had a rare catch – a drone flying overhead – and it was caught on video.

Video from a camera mounted to the drone zoomed in on several people standing on the pier on Thursday. A fisherman in particular appeared annoyed that the drone was flying overhead. He was seen casting his line toward the drone and nabbed it.

The drone attempted to move out of the way, but was hooked. The pilot, Tice Ledbetter, apparently was able to land the drone without damaging it. He unraveled the line and posted the video to YouTube.

Click to see Video

IMHO, Public place, Expect it and be civil, the above is retarded on the fisherman's side, Private land, well, go for it. If you own the land and sme doornob is scoping you and your fam out. Well, your little toy is fare game within your local communities rules... EG, discharging firearms etc.

• 2 weeks later...

No Charges for Carlsbad Man in Beach Drone Dispute

"The drone fell to the ground and I considered it a closed case," Augustine Lehecka said.

But it wasn't over.

By Greg Bledsoe

NBC7's Greg Bledsoe reports on a man who was arrested after knocking down a drone flying over a beach. (Published Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2015)
Updated at 3:40 PM PDT on Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015

In the latest battle over when and where drones should be allowed to fly, charges have now been dropped against a Carlsbad man accused of damaging a drone he felt was flying too close on a San Diego County beach.

"I feel wronged. I've been violated," Augustine Lehecka told NBC7, referring to the felony charges he initially faced in the case.

Lehecka spent Sunday at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas. At one point, he says he noticed a drone with a camera mounted to it flying over the crowd.

"I almost felt like I was being watched by a peeping Tom," he said.

Lehecka says he also worried about the safety of his group because there were small children involved.

He says when the drone flew near enough to them, he took off his shirt, and threw it. The shirt got caught in the quad-copter's blades and brought it to the ground

"The drone fell to the ground and I considered it a closed case," said Lehecka, but it wasn't over.

Someone called San Diego County sheriff's deputies and Lehecka was arrested 10 minutes later. He spent the night in jail and initially faced felony vandalism charges.

By Wednesday, those charges had been dropped, the San Diego County District Attorney's office confirmed. A spokesperson from the DA's office said the beach drone case was rejected, but released no further details.

"We do not discuss our charging decisions except to say we can only file charges when we believe we can prove them beyond a reasonable doubt," the spokesperson told NBC 7.

Meanwhile, the pilot of the drone, who spoke with NBC 7 on the condition the station not use his name, released part of the video from Sunday. The video is shot from high above the crowd and the pilot claims Lehecka called him a pervert.

"You can clearly see that I was not invading anybody's privacy. I was just flying around the park," said the pilot.

The pilot says he recorded the drone being hit by the shirt, but is not releasing that part of the video for now. He claims Lehecka attacked the drone as it was landing just a few feet off the sand.

The pilot also says he relies on the drone for his work.

"He did $750 in damage to my quad copter, and that's my livelihood," said the pilot. "I'm in a world of hurt right now. I really am."

Right now, there is no law in California against flying drones in public places like a beach.

This week, lawmakers in Sacramento discussed a proposal to ban drones near emergency situations like wildfires. This follows multiple incidents around the state where aircraft had to be grounded during firefighting efforts because drones were spotted in the airspace. If that law passes, it could mean fines of up to $1,000 and possible jail time for anyone who interferes with first responders.

That law would not affect public places where there is no emergency, leaving what happened over the weekend in the gray area of the discussion on how to regulate drones.

After the initial felony vandalism charges, Lehecka said he planned to bring the issue to trial if necessary.

"I believe this may be the defining moment about flights over people," he said.

The pilot, on the other hand, says this particular incident could have ended much easier.

"Just pay for it so I can get back to work," said the pilot. "That's all I want."

On Wednesday, Lehecka confirmed no deal was made on his end leading to the charges being dropped in the case. He said he had received a lot of support from people on his side of the drone dispute.

Published at 6:51 PM PDT on Aug 18, 2015

What could possibly go wrong?

North Dakota becomes first state to legalize weaponized police drones

A North Dakota law allows police to outfit drones with 'less-than-lethal' weapons including stun guns and tear gas. The bill's original sponsor says he didn't want weapons of any kind on drones, but that the state law enforcement lobby altered the bill's language.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2015/0827/North-Dakota-becomes-first-state-to-legalize-weaponized-police-drones

931268_1_0827-North-Dakota-drones_standa

In North Dakota? Nothing. You could make it a carry a nuclear weapon, if shit hit the fan it'd kill six people. Which I guess in all fairness would decimate the population.

North Dakota becomes first state to legalize weaponized police drones

A North Dakota law allows police to outfit drones with 'less-than-lethal' weapons including stun guns and tear gas. The bill's original sponsor says he didn't want weapons of any kind on drones, but that the state law enforcement lobby altered the bill's language.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2015/0827/North-Dakota-becomes-first-state-to-legalize-weaponized-police-drones

931268_1_0827-North-Dakota-drones_standa

What kind of drone is that? Are those available or just sold to police agencies?

So here is the million dollar question. If we are going on the assumption that public, beach, mall, parking lot, festival etc etc etc = ok, but spying on private property is not. What do you think will happen when joe citizen takes out a cop drone "spying" (on his naked sunbathing wife) in his back yard, with a hose????? :ph34r:

OK so chopping off bits of airliners is happening who's got the over / under on the 1st take-down ??

was this an attempt at downing a jet ???

will the Asswhole post the drone video to his youtube ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqKKj8Y8opo

OK so chopping off bits of airliners is happening being faked who's got the over / under on the 1st take-down ??

was this an attempt at downing a jet ???

will the Asswhole post the drone video to his youtube ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqKKj8Y8opo

fixed B)

Fuckin MoonBeam

Gov. Brown Vetoes Bill Restricting Drone Use Over Private Property
September 10, 2015 11:34 AM
droneflying.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

(CBS)

SACRAMENTO (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has vetoed a bill meant to rein in the use of drones over private property.

Brown said in a veto message Wednesday night that the measure goes too far in its restrictions.

The bill, SB142 by Santa Barbara Democratic Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, creates a trespassing crime for operating drones within 350 feet above private property without the consent of the property owner.

Brown’s statement says the act would be a crime “whether or not anyone’s privacy was violated by the flight.”

Brown says the bill is well-intentioned but could expose hobbyists and approved drone users to burdensome litigation and other legal trouble.

He says the issue of drones and privacy needs a more careful consideration than the bill allows for.

I'm not a huge dji fan, but that inspire is pretty sweet looking. especially the arms.

It came out a few weeks after I bought my F550. I wish I would've bought the Inspire. Slightly more money, but that light bridge is a fucking awesome looking interface.

OK So put a Positive Spin on this one

Drone Injures 11-Month-Old Girl After Falling From Sky in Pasadena

FAA rules require model aircraft to be flown below 400 feet and not over unprotected people or vehicles By Corey Arvin and Wire Reports

hover+drone.JPG
NBC 5 News

A drone fell from the sky in Pasadena over the weekend, injuring an 11-month-old girl being pushed in a stroller by her mother, police said Tuesday.

The infant was struck by shrapnel when the privately owned "quadcopter" fell to the ground just before 6:30 p.m. Saturday on Marengo Avenue near Union Street, Pasadena police Lt. Tracey Ibarra said.

"The drone shattered, sending shrapnel flying toward the child's forehead and head and the mother's legs," Ibarra said.

The baby was treated at Huntington Memorial Hospital for a large bruise to her forehead and a quarter-inch laceration on the side of her head, according to the lieutenant. Her 31-year-old mother was not injured, Ibarra said.

Officers located the 24-year-old owner of the drone nearby. He said he was attending an event in front of City Hall and flying the drone overhead when he lost control of it, Ibarra said.

He went to the crash scene and remained there awaiting law enforcement to arrive, she said.

The incident was documented and a report forwarded "to the Flight Standards District Office in Van Nuys for review to determine if the operator violated federal aircraft rules forbidding careless or reckless operation of an unmanned aircraft," Ibarra said.

The Federal Aviation Administration will investigate.

"Unmanned aircraft must be operated safely so they don't endanger people on the ground and don't interfere with manned aircraft, " the agency said in a statement. "The FAA is concerned with the growing number of reports about unsafe operations, and is stepping up both its education and enforcement efforts."

Anyone who flies unmanned aircraft carelessly or recklessly can face fines from $1,000 to $25,000, depending on the seriousness of the violation, according to the FAA. The FAA has initiated more than 20 enforcement cases, settled five cases in which operators paid fines, and has proposed penalties in at least five other cases, according to the agency's statement.

FAA authorization is not required to operation a drone for hobby purposes, but there are rules regarding operation. One rule requires model aircraft to be flown below 400 feet, and not over unprotected people or vehicles.

NBC4's Jonathan Lloyd contributed to this report.

Published at 11:47 AM PDT on Sep 16, 2015
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/faa-proposes-1-9m-fine-against-skypan-unauthorized-drone-flights-n439481

FAA Proposes $1.9M Fine Against SkyPan for 'Unauthorized' Drone Flights

by Devin Coldewey

The Federal Aviation Administration may be busy evaluating and approving all manner of commercial uses of drones, but that doesn't mean you can start flying yours willy-nilly in restricted airspace. But that's just what Chicago drone company SkyPan allegedly did, according to an FAA press release. The proposed consequence is no slap on the wrist, but a major $1.9 million fine.

Related: NFL Is First League to Fly Drones With FAA Permission - But Not Over Games

This isn't just for floating a drone in a park without getting the proper permit.

"Between March 21, 2012, and Dec. 15, 2014, SkyPan conducted 65 unauthorized operations in some of our most congested airspace and heavily populated cities, violating airspace regulations and various operating rules," read the FAA release.

1:29

Related: FAA Proposes Rules for Routine Commercial Use of Drones

Flying near airports without notifying them, lacking safety gear like altimeters and transponders, and more — the FAA's complaint against SkyPan is serious. After all, an unscheduled UAV flight could interfere with emergency helicopters and low-flying small aircraft like seaplanes, especially if the operator isn't flying according to FAA regulations on altitude and location.

1:09

SkyPan has 30 days to respond to the allegations. In an email to NBC News, SkyPan declined to comment, indicating that it had yet to review the FAA's case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like they are going after accountability first then they are going to streamline everything.. Trying to backtrack from the inevitable crash on the white house lawn... Only this thing is going to do is annoy and put out the recreational hobbyist. Like mustang says, at least it is on paper....

saw a headline in AOPA that if you hold an airman's certificate and they catch you doing something stupid with the drones, they will come after you as if you were actually in a "real" airplane. Somewhat sobering to think about.

Signed up today and now have my registration numbers on my drone. Big money fines possible if caught flying as of today. Watch out for spam sites that want to charge $25 to register. Go to FAA and register for $5 and you get it back if you sign up prior to the 15th of next month. Didn't like the fact that they ask if they can scan your computer if they want but they are doing it anyway. Just another privacy invasion.

Signed up today and now have my registration numbers on my drone. Big money fines possible if caught flying as of today. Watch out for spam sites that want to charge $25 to register. Go to FAA and register for $5 and you get it back if you sign up prior to the 15th of next month. Didn't like the fact that they ask if they can scan your computer if they want but they are doing it anyway. Just another privacy invasion.

they ask if they can scan your computer if they want

The Question is "Would you Mind"

Not if they May ;)

Must've been a complete power failure. Most multi rotor crashes don't have it hitting the ground that hard. That was a hard hit.

The fines are a little draconian for not registering. Max is $276k and three years imprisonment? Holy fuck. You can go out and kill someone for no reason and get off lighter than that. The USA, where remote controlled toys are regulated. Hooray for freedom!

they ask if they can scan your computer if they want

The Question is "Would you Mind"

Not if they May ;)

So are you that fresh you believe the Dept wants to scan your computer or a hack site piggybacking the url? Sounds like an internet explorer with macaffe/ norton antivirus protection, user issues to me :)

No Point is "If" they want to there is Nothing to stop them reguardless

Like USCG asking if they can Board yer Boat

You can say No - But that's Not the answer to the question now is it

Might as well (be better off to say) say "We Both know you can do Whatever the Fuck ya Wanna Do" and smile

It's what they knew all along ;)

Must've been a complete power failure. Most multi rotor crashes don't have it hitting the ground that hard. That was a hard hit.

The fines are a little draconian for not registering. Max is $276k and three years imprisonment? Holy fuck. You can go out and kill someone for no reason and get off lighter than that. The USA, where remote controlled toys are regulated. Hooray for freedom!

Too cold for the batteries?

Too cold for the batteries?

Maybe? I kinda doubt it though. If they are warm going in, they'll stay warm in flight just from amperage draw. Especially on a rotary wing where the draw is constantly in play. There's no gliding to be had. Plus it would be a sag in the voltage that the operator would be