G4 Fail

USA190520

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's all right, if we all pray 3 hail maries the thing will become self-righting, pronto ! (anyone remember the days when a big airbag on top of the mast was going round as an idea for cats ? Mr. J might pick this one up)

post-19483-0-56878800-1429380842_thumb.jpg

looking at the grin on Mr. J's face, his relaxed demeanor and the fact that the pics come out so easily ...one might be tempted to think that next a press release will come up to tell us about the fact that the gunboat lads are so thorough as to test an actual flip ? now that would be something to applaud as a pr stunt, maybe.

looking at the grin on Mr. J's face, his relaxed demeanor and the fact that the pics come out so easily ...one might be tempted to think that next a press release will come up to tell us about the fact that the gunboat lads are so thorough as to test an actual flip ? now that would be something to applaud as a pr stunt, maybe.

No such thing as "bad press", right? LOL!

Looks like a "damn, Ya got that on film?" Kinda grin

pic taken within an arm's reach on same boat so eminently stoppable ? if I were in Mr. J's place I might have chucked anybody making pix, unless they are wanted, pretty much overboard within a sec... or is that just my bad character ? hmmm.... probably is

anyhow, somebody had to test a flip anywayz... who better or when better to do it when the powers that be are at hand ?

So you'd toss Sharon green overboard after they pluck you out of the piss?

She's a photog, she takes pics, it's not his place to stop her or curtail her pictures being published as per the signing of the press waiver at registration.

She's a photog, she takes pics, it's not his place to stop her or curtail her pictures being published as per the signing of the press waiver at registration.

just covering all angles, nothing more ... I know it sounds a bit paranoid but was just wondering looking at the pix, not sure at all, repeat, just wondering

but since you ask : maybe yes, if I would have a multi million high profile business to run and having had a very recent pr disaster and now a possible next one I might be tempted to chuck just anybody in the piss if he/she were to endanger my business, Darwin 101

p.s. the idea would be to sink pix, not the lady of course ... what with electronics not being too happy about salty water, discs and stic ks included

Ben Ainslie has just about done that...

ben-ainslie-protest-007.jpg

...''all good,,we thought we'd give the self-righting system a go'' :mellow:

post-16558-0-08420500-1429380076_thumb.j

You gotta break some eggs, if you want to make a good Omelet!!

But do you have to break EVERY SINGLE HIGH-VISIBILITY egg you put out a press release on?

Phaedo 2013 TransPac, Rainmaker, et. al.

Are these boats built for ocean sailing or day trips? The ads imply the former; the catastrophies imply the latter.

What's the big deal? Multihulls float and are just as safe upside down as they are mast side pointing up. That's just a club I never really want to be a member of.

I love all those posts on any thread about modern monos about how much better multis are and how dumb it is to drag lead keels around. This is why dicks.

Me think it has more to do with the foiling issue, than a multihull one, and though I like modern monos, I think it's dumb dragging lead keels

Guess they were not that close to Grouper Island. Touching the masthead to the bottom (mudraking we called it in LIS) would be - sub ideal. Is the MH0 looking a bit gone?

I sailed through the fleet two days ago from St. Barths to St. Martin; the "Les Voiles de St. Barths" has some pretty impressive go-fast boats. Here's some more of the G4 Gunboat in happier times:

2015-04-les-voiles-d2-10.jpg2015-04-les-voiles-d2-11.jpg2015-04-voiles-barths-12.jpg2015-05-g4-voiles.jpg

They crashed. Big deal. Pushing the envelope of any design space cries for crashes. Where's JSBF when you need him and although I did a lot of work at Pax River, he knows more. The concept works...let's look to the future.

They crashed. Big deal. Pushing the envelope of any design space cries for crashes.

Kind of a big deal when you market it as a CRUISING BOAT FOR FAMILIES. Fuck Gunboat and their web of lies. Fuck their "pro" skippers that clearly suck, and fuck Mr. J most of all, for lying to the world.

They crashed. Big deal. Pushing the envelope of any design space cries for crashes.

Kind of a big deal when you market it as a CRUISING BOAT FOR FAMILIES. Fuck Gunboat and their web of lies. Fuck their "pro" skippers that clearly suck, and fuck Mr. J most of all, for lying to the world.

Prototype and what are you doing on this forum. Multisailors tend to be go for it types, not needing a Nanny. You need a wet nurse.

Prototype and what are you doing on this forum. Multisailors tend to be go for it types, not needing a Nanny. You need a wet nurse.

Tkeng exseption to youre verbiage heare and nowe.

So your wife, four and five year old would find this an acceptable outcome?

Get fucked asshole. Don't internet tough guy me, ain't gonna happen.

So your wife, four and five year old would find this an acceptable outcome?

Get fucked asshole. Don't internet tough guy me, ain't gonna happen.

Your avatar is so appropriate!

Unfortunately, haters gonna hate....

There is a lot for GB foiler's too learn, its all hands on experience building.

Keep pushing the boundaries.....

If this was marketed as a prototype RACER, we would all be "flip the thing over and fix it".

After their "high latitude disruptive tech cruiser" didn't get as far as the Flying Hawaiian and now their "racer - cruiser" has become as inverted as a noob in a Laser during a thunderstorm, I think you can see why they get the reaction they do.

As a CRUISER, how fun would it have been to have the wife and some kids aboard? I woul say not very.

Sometimes those flirting with cutting edge technology get cut.
Were it not for such people, there would be little new in the world.
Keep pushing the envelope, GB!

Anybody who has watched the videos of the G4 foiling while being sailed by 5 or 6 pros can see that it is not a family cruiser. The shots of cocktailing were obviously while at anchor. Of course it is a high performance racer w/ comfortable accommodations. Of course pros in a race are going to push it and find out what the limits are the hard way while the boat is still in its infancy. Believe your eyes, not the hype. If you want a family cruiser, buy a condomaran or a leaded leaner.

So it capsized while being pushed hard in a race. So what, just another step in the evolution. I look forward to seeing exactly how they flipped it.

mast looks alright

new dry mattresses, clean shorts, and ready to go cruising again :D

Fixerated B)
Do extreme shit, extreme shit happens. Don't do shit, no shit happens.

Kool shit

Well, one owner who got his money's worth. And a lesson for the masses that follow.

It's kind of a ballanced story, lot's of press, some glory and then...bitch slapped back to reality. What you need competent crew to run this? What does that cost? More than the boat? What's this, the america's cup? ...or trickle down.

My question is, how did all that cruising crap work out? Guess they need hotel rooms now.

This is why people still buy monos. Yes, those of us who like speed and technology know all the eggs breaking stuff. But the wife and kids? My 70 year old dad? Nope. They don't want to die. GB's seem to be accident prone. It may be great for R&D but not so great for getting my fam out on the water. Not hatin', just sayin'.

...all's fun until someone hits a patch of debris :mellow::blink:

not-bad-for-a-multihull.jpg

.....I'm not sure what else people were exspecterating other than a little family face-plant fun! :)

.....but where's fanboy Lard to splain this for the family foiler :rolleyes:

Cats flip... But they float. Let's hear what happened. I'm most worried about the wiring/electronics. Sails looked ok.. Maybe new battens. Flipping Multis is always a risk.

But if I owned it, you can bet I'd be pushing it hard... You don't buy this boat to drink champagne while you are sailing it.

Cats flip... But they float. Let's hear what happened. I'm most worried about the wiring/electronics. Sails looked ok.. Maybe new battens. Flipping Multis is always a risk.

But if I owned it, you can bet I'd be pushing it hard... You don't buy this boat to drink champagne while you are sailing it.

Dumb idea putting foils on a cruising cat IMHO. OK, so they've proven it can fly but the cost of a capsize is huge in terms of the cruising equipment trashed, plus the need to minimise weight to promote foiling requires expensive weight saving approaches to cruising comfort, and put limits on amenity. Cruising the boat will be a high stress experience owing to the vigilance required to keep it safe compared with a conventional cat and and on top of that cruising and delivering the boat A to B short staffed will require so much pedal off for safety that it would take way longer than with a conventional cat that can be pushed harder shorthanded.

Unless of course it came with a separate set of non-flying delivery foils - then it's only the rigmarole of swapping foils that's a pain, but who needs to cart a second set around?

Gunboat has made a big name in performance multis the last years ....they have been innovative specially with the G4 - innovation is a risk - not many take that risk- specially not US companies - its really sad to se the US car industry - Tesla is the only (but a good) innovation last 50 years.

So Gunboat is a company that dare - and should have credit for that - not all the shit that comes now.

At sea shit can happen - it seems dramatic - but the boat and the crew is just slightly damaged. Shit that happen at sea often have a sunken boat and more severe outcome. This is a small accident - but as an innovative boat the impact can be big. But potential buyers should be aware of the risk sailing on the edge - as they are when driving a fast car or motorbike. If things happen on a road its often fatal.... in a fast multi -after a while it will be a good story.

...and its strange - but if its no danger - its not so much fun either.

Um...that's not what the brochure says:

GET THE GUN. BE THE PARTY. CRUISE HOME.

A NEW MULTIPURPOSE COASTAL CRUISER-RACER

WITH IMPRESSIVE BENEFITS AT 40′

1ST TO FINISH: Stomp on maxis, superyachts, and any grand prix race-boat in sight. The GUNBOAT G4 offers Formula 40 speeds in an easy to handle and forgiving weekender. Unless your fleet includes an AC72, an ORMA 60 or a MOD70, your competition will only see your transoms, which is why your G4 comes clearly marked. Youll be the envy of everyone on the ICW, with the fastest boat that will fit under the bridges.

LARGE COMFORTABLE COCKPIT & MAIN SALON: Upon return, you will have time to shower, nap, and plan the post-race gathering. Your friends will be drawn to the spacious and comfortable cockpit. The salon offers comfortable seating with ample headroom when seated. The galley island, complete with two burner stove top, 100 litre fridge drawer, and sink, is centrally located to entertain. The slide-out coffee tables atop the galley are provided to display your new trophies.

CRUISE HOME IN COMFORT & SPEED: The GUNBOAT G4 features two queen berths located outboard in the main salon. With panoramic top-deck views, abundant ventilation, and a generous sense of space, these may be the best berths shy of the GUNBOAT 90. With guests aboard, deploy the dual privacy curtains. Kids will love the single berths in their own private hulls. Everyone will appreciate the enclosed head with standing headroom. At GUNBOAT G4 speeds, covering longer distances in daylight is easy.

DAY-SAILING WITH FRIENDS: The GUNBOAT G4 is simple and easy to sail. At only 2.7 tons, the G4 has light loads. Sails can be hoisted by hand with no need for complex powered equipment. Friends will find their perfect space whether on the helm, on the spacious cockpit seats, or in the protected salon with unobstructed views. Ample storage space in the bows allows for easy access to all your toys. With room for kite boarding, surfing, snorkeling, and SUP gear, youll be able to keep everyone onboard entertained.

So if you're sipping your Mojito while enjoying the unobstructed view from the spacious salon it'll be a good thing to have your snorkeling gear at hand eh?

So when did people start to take the sales brochure as the fact of anything..... do you read in a car brochure that you can maybe have an accident?

I think the (at least the US) owners manual would have some "CAUTIONS" in it.....

Um...that's not what the brochure says:

GET THE GUN. BE THE PARTY. CRUISE HOME.

A NEW MULTIPURPOSE COASTAL CRUISER-RACER

WITH IMPRESSIVE BENEFITS AT 40′

1ST TO FINISH: Stomp on maxis, superyachts, and any grand prix race-boat in sight. The GUNBOAT G4 offers Formula 40 speeds in an easy to handle and forgiving weekender. Unless your fleet includes an AC72, an ORMA 60 or a MOD70, your competition will only see your transoms, which is why your G4 comes clearly marked. Youll be the envy of everyone on the ICW, with the fastest boat that will fit under the bridges.

From what I can see of the results the GB 4 and the 55 were both beaten by a 32' multi in their class but on the same courses were beat by several monohulls.

Archived