STC Block Island Race...who's In

dacapo

In. Looks like a nice weekend for a sail.

Who you goin' with Dacapon?

I'll be on my other ride.

Infidel.......going to the dark side and sailing a multi B)

Little Infidel will indeed line up against the big bad Gunboats. Of course the 50 cal on the bow might be a factor. We are not unprepared.

whoopie!!!!! ps...winds are looking more bueno than less ;-)

Little Infidel will indeed line up against the big bad Gunboats. Of course the 50 cal on the bow might be a factor. We are not unprepared.

What forecast have you been looking at? I'm seeing the ride out not being terrible but things starting to get miserable mid-day Satiurday...like usual

What forecast have you been looking at? I'm seeing the ride out not being terrible but things starting to get miserable mid-day Satiurday...like usual

plan on being back by mid day Saturday..... ;) I'm seeing 10-12+ for Fri-Saturday evening. You must be listening to Jim Cantore :lol:

Who you riding with CD?

plan on being back by mid day Saturday..... ;) I'm seeing 10-12+ for Fri-Saturday evening. You must be listening to Jim Cantore :lol:

Which eye are you using?

Which eye are you using?

my mind's eye '-) (that's a one eyed wink...)

PHRF 3 spread looks nice, 129 between slowest and fastest :o... sounds about right for a fair race for all.

PHRF 3 spread looks nice, 129 between slowest and fastest :o... sounds about right for a fair race for all.

Maybe the two fastest boats should try IRC? Just a thought.

Who you riding with CD?

Nobody, this year I've decided to see what it's like to not be miserable on Memorial Day weekend.

I'm regretting the decision already.

Who you riding with CD?

Nobody, this year I've decided to see what it's like to not be miserable on Memorial Day weekend.

You cane allwayes jitte youselfe in balles wiyhe oune of thoise battes you gette as souvineere. That coud macke you misserbelle fre a wille anneyway. :)

Hoope it helps/

Which eye are you using?

my mind's eye '-) (that's a one eyed wink...)

Can't trim a main... get Out!.

They now have a PHRF 4 to address this problem.

It's amazing how that always happens 3 days before a race after entries close. It's almost like he knows what he's doing !

They now have a PHRF 4 to address this problem.

It's amazing how that always happens 3 days before a race after entries close. It's almost like he knows what he's doing !

I thicke "they" is moiré appopiatte.

Who you riding with CD?Nobody, this year I've decided to see what it's like to not be miserable on Memorial Day weekend.

Not like I didn't offer! I even would've let you bring your linen jacket and wingtips!

Not like I didn't offer! I even would've let you bring your linen jacket and wingtips!

Our you committeded to thisse?

Yep.

I think CD actually sails faster linen. But he was too cool for school and didn't want to join us!

I wasn't a fan of the wine list

Want to know what happens when you talk about a downwind forecast 4 days out? You end up with a 90 mile upwind slog! Let's keep it quiet about the forecast, eh? (Only half kidding)

Yep.

I think CD actually sails faster linen. But he was too cool for school and didn't want to join us!

What do the English know about wine anyhow? They should stick to what they know.

Yep.

What do the English know about wine anyhow? They should stick to what they know.

meat pies and gin....

I hate it when people make predictions like that.

have you seen the forecast?....predictions on wind are better than predictions on finish times ...........let's just hope for a bit of wind tonight

Fri..NW winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming W 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 ft.
Fri night..NW winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft.
Sat..W winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas around 2 ft.
Sat night..SW winds around 10 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

My question is why wait till 2pm to start? Everyone has the day off as it is, why not get it going a few hours earlier to get people back earlier? Not criticizing, just curious as to why...

Not looking forward to 90 miles upwind in the dark but it's certainly better than drifting.

Also, the second half of this is gonna be COLD! Bring layers!

My question is why wait till 2pm to start? Everyone has the day off as it is, why not get it going a few hours earlier to get people back earlier? Not criticizing, just curious as to why...

Not looking forward to 90 miles upwind in the dark but it's certainly better than drifting.

Everyone does not have the day off. It does start earlier than it used to. Your new around here. Stop making trouble.

I kind of like that i don't have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn for dock call on my day off, personally. I figure we're gonna be on an inconvenient schedule the rest of the weekend anyway so what difference does it make if i finish at midnight or 3 am sunday?

I kind of like that i don't have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn for dock call on my day off, personally. I figure we're gonna be on an inconvenient schedule the rest of the weekend anyway so what difference does it make if i finish at midnight or 3 am sunday?

Hmnn.. I knew a Dawn once with a nice ass crack.

speak for yourself about finishing from mindnight to 3 am on Sunday...WTF are you sailing on?? your JY15??

speak for yourself about finishing from mindnight to 3 am on Sunday...WTF are you sailing on?? your JY15??

Yup. Don't hate.

Have fun out there tomorrow peeps! Looks like a fun ride out to block

I hear it may snow tonight :blink:

Couldn't be nicer now. 20-25 knots under spin and sunny warm skies

At the west end of the Sound they definitely have the humpty dance going now. 17-21 with bigger puffs from the right direction. Post pics people. I need a sailing FIX.

A really rough ride over to the start but worth the effort Comanche did a couple of shake and bake dingy moves at the start than put up the kite and dropped the rest of her division like a bad habit.

With a dozen or so power boats chasing she headed East at about 30 knots.

My bet is she has a better chance of breaking the record than American Pharoah has of winning the triple crown.

Hope some of the Paparazzi that was filming out there will post something here.

We rounded 1BI at 2130 and cleared the southern end at 2230. 13.5-15.5 under Solent now...looking at tchanging to the J0 at the Gut in about 12 miles. We had it pegged in the 18 range for a few hours after the start and Comanche blew through us to leeward at about 26.

An old timer swore to me he did see snow on a Block Race once years ago. But that was before global warming and probably after rum.

Some time in the '60s, I started the BI Race in a snow squall. I remember saying to myself,WTF am I doing here. Enjoy the ride guys!

MikeR

An old timer swore to me he did see snow on a Block Race once years ago. But that was before global warming and probably after rum.

Some time in the '60s, I started the BI Race in a snow squall. I remember saying to myself,WTF am I doing here. Enjoy the ride guys!

MikeR[/quote

Another friggin old timer !

Still pretty punchy out here steady 20ish more WSW now at least my tits are defrosting a little.

comanche elapsed time 11hours 25 mins

Is that the new record?

Appears to be.... Nearly 2 hours

LARCHMONT, N.Y. (May 27, 2014) – The 69th Storm Trysail Club Block Island Race, which started on the Friday (May 23) of Memorial Day Weekend, attracted--coincidentally enough--69 boats and saw George David’s (Hartford, Conn.) Reichel Pugh 90 Rambler as the first to finish early Saturday morning after some 17 hours and change of racing. Rambler last year smashed the record for the 186 nautical mile race (from The Cows off Stamford, Conn., down Long Island Sound, around Block Island, R.I. and back to Stamford, finishing just inside the breakwaters) by finishing it in 13 hours, 15 minutes and 55 seconds, but this year’s performance will still be a favorite for David, whose haul of silver represented not only the best elapsed time in IRC Fleet (Governor’s Race West Trophy) but also best corrected time in IRC Fleet (William Tripp Jr. Memorial Trophy) and a class victory (IRC 6).

MikeR[/quote

Still pretty punchy out here steady 20ish more WSW now at least my tits are defrosting a little.

I'm not FRIGGIN.

Is that the new record?

LARCHMONT, N.Y. (May 27, 2014) – The 69th Storm Trysail Club Block Island Race, which started on the Friday (May 23) of Memorial Day Weekend, attracted--coincidentally enough--69 boats and saw George David’s (Hartford, Conn.) Reichel Pugh 90 Rambler as the first to finish early Saturday morning after some 17 hours and change of racing. Rambler last year smashed the record for the 186 nautical mile race (from The Cows off Stamford, Conn., down Long Island Sound, around Block Island, R.I. and back to Stamford, finishing just inside the breakwaters) by finishing it in 13 hours, 15 minutes and 55 seconds, but this year’s performance will still be a favorite for David, whose haul of silver represented not only the best elapsed time in IRC Fleet (Governor’s Race West Trophy) but also best corrected time in IRC Fleet (William Tripp Jr. Memorial Trophy) and a class victory (IRC 6).

Not bad for 15 million, I am sure the owner feels it's money well spent

Is that the new record?

15 Mill is Chump Change for guys like that.... Great video on youtube of Ken Read showing Comanche before Sid-Hobart

Record with an asterisk.

Anyone see the 3 Beluga whales out here ?

Of course the real BI Races MikeR and I cut our teeth on started and finished at Can One off of Larchmont. So put all the **** you want, she was crakin' fast.

Hard race in reality. Tiring, fast, fun but very tiring.

Hey Johnnie, we were joking about how much the record cost the owner.

Nice job Chris Drag. In the end we couldn't reel you fellas in.

Record with an asterisk.

Of course the real BI Races MikeR and I cut our teeth on started and finished at Can One off of Larchmont. So put all the **** you want, she was crakin' fast.

Ahh, those were the days. Anyone remember Phil Handleman?

Record with an asterisk.

Seriously?? Very cool, if true!

EDIT: TRUE!! From Snaggys thread over in GA.....

http://7online.com/news/video-watch-beluga-whales-in-the-long-island-sound/735971/

Been on TV news reports and USCG on VHF for some reason announcing keep an eye out for 3 Beluga whales in Long Island Sound and report position if seen.

Apparently escaped from Mystic Aquarium. Do not approach as considered armed and dangerous. Also using aliases of Pitman260, Sailman, BJPorter.

Record with an asterisk.

Seriously?? Very cool, if true!

EDIT: TRUE!! From Snaggys thread over in GA.....

http://7online.com/news/video-watch-beluga-whales-in-the-long-island-sound/735971/

Been on TV news reports and USCG on VHF for some reason announcing keep an eye out for 3 Beluga whales in Long Island Sound and report position if seen.

Apparently escaped from Mystic Aquarium. Do not approach as considered armed and dangerous. Also using aliases of Pitman260, Sailman, BJPorter.

YFKM? Escappeese!?!? Terminaitte wither exteme prejudice!!!! :)

record or not thats just nasty fast

Saw some pictures taken from BI of Comanche rounding in the daylight. Don't think that has every happened before.

We passed them as they were going back to newport in the twilight. They were heading east at 20 knots, we were tight reaching doing going west at 15. Kind of cool seeing two sailboats on AIS with relative speed of 35 knots!.

Is that the new record?

LARCHMONT, N.Y. (May 27, 2014) The 69th Storm Trysail Club Block Island Race, which started on the Friday (May 23) of Memorial Day Weekend, attracted--coincidentally enough--69 boats and saw George Davids (Hartford, Conn.) Reichel Pugh 90 Rambler as the first to finish early Saturday morning after some 17 hours and change of racing. Rambler last year smashed the record for the 186 nautical mile race (from The Cows off Stamford, Conn., down Long Island Sound, around Block Island, R.I. and back to Stamford, finishing just inside the breakwaters) by finishing it in 13 hours, 15 minutes and 55 seconds, but this years performance will still be a favorite for David, whose haul of silver represented not only the best elapsed time in IRC Fleet (Governors Race West Trophy) but also best corrected time in IRC Fleet (William Tripp Jr. Memorial Trophy) and a class victory (IRC 6).

Cool boat but...

Rich guy with big new boat sets course record and first to finish. Yawn.

MikeR[/quote

I'm not FRIGGIN.[/quote

Guy onboard said it snowed at start of 1960 race.

Is that the new record?

LARCHMONT, N.Y. (May 27, 2014) The 69th Storm Trysail Club Block Island Race, which started on the Friday (May 23) of Memorial Day Weekend, attracted--coincidentally enough--69 boats and saw George Davids (Hartford, Conn.) Reichel Pugh 90 Rambler as the first to finish early Saturday morning after some 17 hours and change of racing. Rambler last year smashed the record for the 186 nautical mile race (from The Cows off Stamford, Conn., down Long Island Sound, around Block Island, R.I. and back to Stamford, finishing just inside the breakwaters) by finishing it in 13 hours, 15 minutes and 55 seconds, but this years performance will still be a favorite for David, whose haul of silver represented not only the best elapsed time in IRC Fleet (Governors Race West Trophy) but also best corrected time in IRC Fleet (William Tripp Jr. Memorial Trophy) and a class victory (IRC 6).

Cool boat but...

Rich guy with big new boat sets course record and first to finish. Yawn.

Have to agree with Edith. Interesting but if I'm going to do BIR I'd rather get my sorry old ass kicked by doing it in a dh boat.

Speaking of dh, Kudos to Mireille yet again but where was Lora Ann?

MikeR[/quote

I'm not FRIGGIN.[/quote

Guy onboard said it snowed at start of 1960 race.

That's sorta what I remember. The boat was an Ohlson 35, I believe.

It was snowing in the '73 race, fairly hard with a light accumulation on deck, off of South East Light as we were gybing to round the island. counter clockwise. Back in the days when you could go either way. I can also remember freezing sheets one year. Not sure if that was '73 but could have been and may have been a Gull Island Race. They should bring that one back.

Record with an asterisk.

Names familiar. He sail out of Douglaston Mike?

And yes, those were the days.... the days when would would still be out there struggling to get to Larchmont to finish!

Record with an asterisk.

Names familiar. He sail out of Douglaston Mike?

And yes, those were the days.... the days when would would still be out there struggling to get to Larchmont to finish!

Phil had a boat (ex Carina-46' yawl) that he named Chee Chee V. Sailed from Mamaroneck.

Archived