CYC Race to Mackinac - Sponsored by Grinder ;)

Grinder

http://www.cycracetomackinac.com/I'm in for my 16th run up the lake.Good times? I certainly hope so.

Brilliant Grinder, keep it up! Have a great race. I just got my USCG 100 ton Masters Captain's license and am moving south, if all works well, by Christmas.

I'll miss you guys, but I have your police photos as mementos!

Rock on,

ID

19th race and my first super mac (though if the owner wants to skip the last 200 miles and just turn left into the island, I won't protest it)

It'll be my first one on the J130 "Willie J" but I've sailed with them some last season and they're a lot of fun and well prepped.

so sad to miss what would have been my second Supersize...

if the baby pops early, might be able to run over and live stream the start. If not, good luck, all!

It could be down right chilly.

The temps off the weather buoy off N. Manitou Is. (#45002) at 1:50 PM CDT are: water - 38.5 degrees, air - 43.5 degrees and a wind chill (in 6 kts) is 39.6 degrees.

The temps off the weather buoy mid lake between Milwaukee / Holland (#45007) are: water - 45.9, air - 50.7 and wind chill N/A.

With little more than 3 weeks to the start you have to wonder what the temps will be at the start.

The temps off the weather buoy off N. Manitou Is. (#45002) at 1:50 PM CDT are: water - 38.5 degrees, air - 43.5 degrees and a wind chill (in 6 kts) is 39.6 degrees.

The temps off the weather buoy mid lake between Milwaukee / Holland (#45007) are: water - 45.9, air - 50.7 and wind chill N/A.

With little more than 3 weeks to the start you have to wonder what the temps will be at the start.

Will be crossing Lake Michigan both ways next week. Same trip west bound last year was the coldest summer sailing I have done in a long, long time.

Will be crossing Lake Michigan both ways next week. Same trip west bound last year was the coldest summer sailing I have done in a long, long time.

Just did a delivery this weekend temp in Northern MI on the water at night was 39 degrees. Could be a big problem if it blows. It was fucking cold out there.

Yes.. not too excited for the delivery/Queen's cup this week..

The boat I was to sail up on is backing out. I’m not totally bummed, seeing George Clinton and Parliament Funkadellic in the beer garden at Bells is a good consolation.

22 J105's

21 T10's

19 Beneteau 36.7's

Is that an increase in 105's and 36.7's???

Interesting that there are more J105's than T10's, I was always under the impression that the J105's were in more of a long slow decline than the T10's in participation. I'll have to look back at the last few years.

As for the 36.7's, I think that's a big number, again, I'll have to check previous years.

22 J105's

21 T10's

19 Beneteau 36.7's

Interesting that there are more J105's than T10's, I was always under the impression that the J105's were in more of a long slow decline than the T10's in participation. I'll have to look back at the last few years.

As for the 36.7's, I think that's a big number, again, I'll have to check previous years.

Year 36.7 105 T10

2014 18 20 24

2013 17 15 20

2012 18 14 25

2011 18 14 23

2010 19 17 28

2009 20 15 30

2008 24 27 37 *100th

2007 19 17 25

2006 16 20 25

2005 11 19 26

Was curious also..3 pretty strong classes to compete in one design over these last 10 years for the MAC races.

22 J105's

21 T10's

19 Beneteau 36.7's

The price of a used J/105 has been declining precipitously over the last few years.

'Karate Man' celebrates on the inside....We don't show our excitement, but you don't know that because you're a big Barry White lookin motha-fucka. Now get off my back, alright..

Yeah, the phone in the limo is busted, what are ya, ignorant?

22 J105's

21 T10's

19 Beneteau 36.7's

The price of a used J/105 has been declining precipitously over the last few years.

Wet balsa core decks. I know of a few around here

Cool. At buoy #48002 in northern Lake Michigan this AM you have the following:

Water temp: 39.0 degrees

Air temp: 48.6 degrees

Wind Chill: 44.6 degrees

Just returned from doing the solo Mac. It was cold but not as cold as last year. Lots of fog again kept it cool during the daylight hours as well.

What was the story with the lady who was airlifted off the 35 footer? From the video, it looked as tho she went aground shortly after finishing?

Trying to make it work for this year, looking for a ride off the island Tuesday morning so I could catch a later afternoon / evening flight in chicago. Anyone know of a car going to Pelston (for charter flight or rental car) or a charter flight off the island back to Chicago? Looking for one or two people.

Let me know, thanks,

Zac

zac.schramm@gmail.com

22 J105's

21 T10's

19 Beneteau 36.7's

Wet balsa core decks. I know of a few around here

True enough, but the decks were just as wet when they were selling for $40k more.

Length of boats, in sequence I've racer to Mac on:

39', 47', 50', 52'. This year 36'. I'm going the wrong way.

More character I say, smaller, slower boats are harder to race.

Fired of mine refuses to do the Mac on anything smaller than a boat whose length in feet is no less than 1.5 times his current age.

Fired of mine refuses to do the Mac on anything smaller than a boat whose length in feet is no less than 1.5 times his current age.

I have also heard of "no slower than the negative of my age"...

Been a few years since I have been able to do the race--hope to get back into it again soon.

I'm doing the supermac on a 30 footer. Tell those guys to HTFU.

The spread in performance/boatspeed among Super Mac boats entered is wild, from an ORMA 60 & Volvo 70 to a "30 footer" and wide variety in between. Seems unlikely many of the boats will even see each other after Mackinac Island (or earlier) other than on YB. Looks like a bucket list race though, I'm surprised only 31 boats entered, especially with the Bayview Mac starting the Sat after. I would have thought pretty much every boat entered in the CYC and BYC Macs would have also entered the Super Mac, but I guess the CYC Sailors Celebration is a big draw...

The spread in performance/boatspeed among Super Mac boats entered is wild, from an ORMA 60 & Volvo 70 to a "30 footer" and wide variety in between. Seems unlikely many of the boats will even see each other after Mackinac Island (or earlier) other than on YB. Looks like a bucket list race though, I'm surprised only 31 boats entered, especially with the Bayview Mac starting the Sat after. I would have thought pretty much every boat entered in the CYC and BYC Macs would have also entered the Super Mac, but I guess the CYC Sailors Celebration is a big draw...

Chicago/Lake Michigan based boats that are sub 50' don't seem to come over to Lake Huron for the BYC Mac very often

The CYC Mac Sailor's Celebration on the island is what it is...I'll leave it at that.

I could see some boats bailing out of the Suppa-Duppa for one of a few reasons.

ETA to finish = forever... Bail

Win your section in the ChiMacarod = Bail / party / pickledish dance @ Horn's

Smell of horse shit is just too damn tempting = psychotic episode on boat, crew is most likely all dead & eaten with sole surviver docking vessel with bone through the nose, naked, covered in feces singing and dancing to Gloria Estefan's - Turn The Beat Around (pun intended)

[YOUTUBE]

Chicago/Lake Michigan based boats that are sub 50' don't seem to come over to Lake Huron for the BYC Mac very often

The CYC Mac Sailor's Celebration on the island is what it is...I'll leave it at that.

100% of my crew, when asked if they wanted to do Supermac, said yes.

I'd be happy to have won my class, and to keep sailing to Port Huron. Of course, if we finish Chi Mac Tuesday, and it's 0 gusting to 2, we may reconsider...

IMO the CYC Mac INCLUDING the Sailors Celebration is one of the highlights of the season, though I see people complain about it here every year (usually drink prices). But the Super Mac only comes around every 10 years of so, hence a bucket list item?

And I assume the Bayview Mac after party/awards/celebration is equally enjoyable (never been)?

IMO the CYC Mac INCLUDING the Sailors Celebration is one of the highlights of the season, though I see people complain about it here every year (usually drink prices). But the Super Mac only comes around every 10 years of so, hence a bucket list item?

And I assume the Bayview Mac after party/awards/celebration is equally enjoyable (never been)?

You should go!

It's a somewhat different party; live band, rum and beer flowing, a bit more raucous.

I last did the Chicago to Sarnia in 1987 the year Piper broke the historic record. I owned a Peterson 43 at the time. Nearly every really big boat in the fleet was signed up for the Chicago Sarnia, including Piper. When she broke the record she did a hard left and went into the Island as did most of the big boats. We finished the Chicago Mack at 11:30 Sunday (my first Sunday finish) but kept going. Not many did and had, for a while, a match race with a NM 41, Carrera. So many had pulled out that we were among the first to finish in IOR.

Robin

Yeah. The party sucks. Low pours, no swag give always, etc. did CYC approve of giving the crews hats this year or are they too cheap again?

There couldn't be a more accurate and diplomatic way to put it.

It's a somewhat different party (BYC); live band, rum and beer flowing, a bit more raucous.

Wonder what this change means in English?

IS NOW:

14.1 RRS 41, OUTSIDE HELP, RRS 41©is changed to read as follows:Help in the form of information freely available to all boats and any publicly offered internet or broadcast weather information from sources
available toall competitors, whether on a subscription or free basis, is allowable. This shall include navigational, weather, tide or current information from any source which is available to all boats whether or
not by payment of a fee or subscription, but shall not include any information gathered or the subject of interpretation by, or any advice received from, any human being not on board the boat and which is specific
to the boat and her situation. By way of example and interpretation, downloading charts, weather and/or GRIB files from subscription services, or having such information passed to the boat in its pure form, is
permitted, but receiving messages or information which is the result of human interpretation as it applies to the boat is not permitted. Competitors may use any means to retrieve the data. Accessing other information
during the race will beconsidered a violation of RRS 41.
WAS:
RRS 41, OUTSIDE HELP, RRS 41© is changed to read as follows: Help in the form of information freely available to all boats and any publicly offered internet or broadcast weather information from sources
available to all competitors, whether on a subscription or free basis is allowable. ALLOWABLE SERVICES MUST PROVIDE THE SAME INFORMATION TO ALL COMPETITORS AND NOT PROVIDE BOAT - SPECIFIC WEATHER OR ROUTING INFORMATION. Competitors may use any means to retrieve the data. Accessing other information during the race will be considered a violation of RRS 41.

Trying to make it work for this year, looking for a ride off the island Tuesday morning so I could catch a later afternoon / evening flight in chicago. Anyone know of a car going to Pelston (for charter flight or rental car) or a charter flight off the island back to Chicago? Looking for one or two people.

Let me know, thanks,

Zac

zac.schramm@gmail.com

I figured out a plan, so disregard. Got a flight on delta out of Pellston and found Mackinaw Shuttle to take me to pellston from ferry for $30. See you all there.

The 70 I'm on isn't doing the super cause it's the owners goat year. They want to stop and celebrate.

From Robin's story: My dad was on Carrera for that race and made it back to Chicago in time for work on Tuesday.

I'll take one of those, might be able to convince my boat to keep going if we get there before noon on Sunday.

The 70 I'm on isn't doing the super cause it's the owners goat year. They want to stop and celebrate.

Another of the GL 70's is stopping at the island this year because it's one of the owner's 50th Mac. I'd say that's a good enough reason to stop and celebrate.

It appears that the Sailors Celebration Party at the Island has moved. While the gardens of the Grand Hotel were beautiful, the bowl we were in didn't allow any air movement. So it is now in Woodfill Park which appears to be just on the other side of the trees in the field by the school. http://www.cycracetomackinac.com/events/107th-race-to-mackinac-sailors-celebration/

Not really about the party...

similar numbers to 2009's SuperMac

500 NM is just too much for most midwesterners to handle at one time! :wacko:

IS NOW:

14.1 RRS 41, OUTSIDE HELP, RRS 41©is changed to read as follows:Help in the form of information freely available to all boats and any publicly offered internet or broadcast weather information from sources
available toall competitors, whether on a subscription or free basis, is allowable. This shall include navigational, weather, tide or current information from any source which is available to all boats whether or
not by payment of a fee or subscription, but shall not include any information gathered or the subject of interpretation by, or any advice received from, any human being not on board the boat and which is specific
to the boat and her situation. By way of example and interpretation, downloading charts, weather and/or GRIB files from subscription services, or having such information passed to the boat in its pure form, is
permitted, but receiving messages or information which is the result of human interpretation as it applies to the boat is not permitted. Competitors may use any means to retrieve the data. Accessing other information
WAS:
RRS 41, OUTSIDE HELP, RRS 41© is changed to read as follows: Help in the form of information freely available to all boats and any publicly offered internet or broadcast weather information from sources
available to all competitors, whether on a subscription or free basis is allowable. ALLOWABLE SERVICES MUST PROVIDE THE SAME INFORMATION TO ALL COMPETITORS AND NOT PROVIDE BOAT - SPECIFIC WEATHER OR ROUTING INFORMATION. Competitors may use any means to retrieve the data. Accessing other information during the race will be considered a violation of RRS 41.

It means that services like XM weather are legal even though they are a paid service. People have been debating that one for a while. It also means you can upload GRIB files and other info from a paid subscription like the PRO version of Sailflow.

IS NOW:

WAS:

It means that services like XM weather are legal even though they are a paid service. People have been debating that one for a while. It also means you can upload GRIB files and other info from a paid subscription like the PRO version of Sailflow.

As I read them, that was true before, you could basically download weather from almost anywhere.

What's seemingly changed is boat specific routing, as long as it's not generated directly by a "human." Programs like Expedition and Predict Wind use algorithms to generate routing, several sources read the new language to permit both now.

IS NOW:

WAS:

As I read them, that was true before, you could basically download weather from almost anywhere.

What's seemingly changed is boat specific routing, as long as it's not generated directly by a "human." Programs like Expedition and Predict Wind use algorithms to generate routing, several sources read the new language to permit both now.

MidPack is correct. A distinction between Expedition and Predict Wind is that Expedition only needs the Grib and the routing calculation is done on the PC on the boat. Predict wind does the routing calculation in the "cloud". External (to the boat)

human interpretation doesn't happen in either case.

I'd like to see ISAF clear this up with a rule that can be turned on or off at the discretion of the OA in the NOR/SI's.

IS NOW:

WAS:

MidPack is correct. A distinction between Expedition and Predict Wind is that Expedition only needs the Grib and the routing calculation is done on the PC on the boat. Predict wind does the routing calculation in the "cloud". External (to the boat)

human interpretation doesn't happen in either case.

I'd like to see ISAF clear this up with a rule that can be turned on or off at the discretion of the OA in the NOR/SI's.

Awesome news, thanks!

Not really about the party...

similar numbers to 2009's SuperMac

500 NM is just too much for most midwesterners to handle at one time! :wacko:

Honestly, I've gotten to the point where the "Mac Race season' is not complete, unless I do both of them.

When I asked potential CHI MAC crew if they were interested in also doing Super Mac, 100% of them said yes.

This is on top of the 560 mile delivery to Chicago, to start the race....

I'm going to wade in here and make a few comments.

For us wage slaves, the SuperMac is a huge time committment. Instead of one week (including either a delivery home or a trip home followed by a trip to the start followed by another trip home), it becomes a two week adventure.

The SuperMac (Chicago-Sarnia) used to be done every odd numbered year. The races in 1987 and 1989 pretty much ended that tradition.

The race in 1987 was truly special - and fast. It was possible to be back to work on Tuesday. The 1987 race was almost literally a 3 or 4 gybe race. Ideal conditions for almost all. Pied Piper finished during the Ladies' Cocktail Party. Nine other boats beat Amorita's record. The T-tens were finishing before dark on Sunday, as I recall Glider took first overall with an elapsed time of around 33 hours. We made last call at the Pony. The last finishers were in by noon Monday. Boats were leaving the harbor on Tuesday morning. With all the broken records and the celebrations, many boats dropped out of the SuperMac.

The race in 1989 was dead dog slow. Boats were dropping out Sunday night - off Racine. Pied Piper didn't finish until nearly noon on Tuesday. We didn't finish until 0900 Wednesday. Again, many boats (all of them?) dropped out of the SuperMac. I think that pretty much killed the SuperMac as a biennial race.

The next SuperMac was "in reverse" in 2000.

Good luck to all. See you on the Island.

Hey Grinder see if you can find a last minute spot for me on some boat. I wanna come up there and be cold with you guys and check out this Lake sailing. Plus I keep hearing stories about some kinda parties.Also I can help deliver back.

Congrats to Matt Knighton. Do we have to call him Mr. OBR now.

There is no way that Phrf Mac Pony is official, or has anything to do with the race.

But I guess if someone wants to take all the finish times, and build corrected ones using Phrf and try to hand out trophies. The only question is: why?

We're looking forward to our 1st Supermac as what appears to be the slowest boat. The boat has done ~40 PH Macs and no CYC Macs. We are mentally prepared for dropping out (hopefully near the island) if we can't make the start of the Port Huron race.

Decided to do Super because we heard CYC island party is not really worth the trip - might as well keep on truckin' to Port Huron and save up our energy for the BYC party

The parties are great if you know people, weak pour or not. If you don't know people they blow. I have done 4 PH Macs, and I prefer CYC party because I know a few hundred people there.

The parties are great if you know people, weak pour or not. If you don't know people they blow. I have done 4 PH Macs, and I prefer CYC party because I know a few hundred people there.

+100. The ones that I did, Hi-jinx with multiple crews in multiple locals ensued...... The awards party's were generally stuffy and really not where the action was happening... (unless you won section or such)

I'm into these races because of what's between the start and the finish. Chicago is no different, but having said that more people split from the island after that race. Most the crowd at the Chi Mac party are there to pick up a flag. Most people choose to stay after the PH race because of the party. Regardless of their finish position. It doesn't make one race better than the other, it just is what it is.

FWIW the most important part (the race) I've found the Chi Mac more enjoyable. I don't know if that's because I've done fewer or if the ones I've sailed were quick races.

The Chicago Mac awards party is fun for those getting hardware, everyone else, meh...

The Bayview party is fun for everyone.

Grinder has made a valid point.. Even the bars are boring when you don't know the crowd. Besides, the Bayview crowd tends to keep clear of the bars and party on their boats. I've walked into several of the bars during a Bayview race (primetime) and seen wide open space, stools at the bar unattended. Weird... Sort of creepy. And besides, the locals hate the Chicago crowd less. That I've gotten first hand from the locals on several occasions. I am quick to let my servers know that I'm a Chicago racer when I'm up there during a Bayview race. You get the 'oh thank God' look, and a sneaky smile! Sorry Baydudes, if our party sucks, I got to throw that one out there. :)

And Boat Night, what a train wreck (not to be missed). Well, in a Nascar/Dog fight/Kid Rock party kind of way. Contact meth high, ah here we go...

+1 on boat night, what a shit show. I stopped going to that years ago.

So you drink alone the night before? or?

I keep track of the beers I would be drinking otherwise and add them to the after the finish side of the equation.

+1, where the hell do they come from?

I think S&B's signature answers that question.

Boat night is great if your looking for HIV+ strippers/hookers and dudes with no teeth wearing affliction shirts high on meth in a Carnival type atmosphere

"It was a rough place - the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit." - Ted Striker

+1, where the hell do they come from?

I think S&B's signature answers that question.

Boat night is great if your looking for HIV+ strippers/hookers and dudes with no teeth wearing affliction shirts high on meth in a Carnival type atmosphere

"It was a rough place - the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit." - Ted Striker

Nah. The D is more respectable than that. You have to remember, the thumb area of Michigan is Redneckville USA. They all come east for the High follut'in folk. See how the adventure people live. These types hit the county fairs and tractor pulls a week later.