• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m 1200 miles into a whim trip that may run over 3000 miles in the next week.  Left Mars Hill NC on Thursday afternoon. Rode to Jackson Ms to visit an old friend for the weekend. We rode part of th

Just a cool motorcycle picture. Love the look on the kids face.

So, this isn't really a bikes thread , or maybe it is. I took delivery of online purchase '77 XS650.  Cool bike, some nice touches and a 750 big bore kit.  Face it, I am not going touring or 100 mile

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Saw this on cycle trader and drove to Atlanta to pick it up this week.

Used the money I saved painting my boat myself this spring.

2011 Victory Cross Country - Cory Ness limited edition.

Only 350 of them were made.

Clean as a whistle and low miles.

94 hp, 129 ft/lbs of torque.

Once I get the new cams and remap the injectors, horsepower goes to 130.

Did a ride this morning.

About to go out on the boat to try out the new spinnaker with some friends and cold ones.

Life is good....

DSC00146.JPG

• Downvote 1

Cams and a remap from 94hp?  I'd bet you a beer you don't get over 110 hp.  130 is a 38% increase... and that's a HUGE ask.

Meanwhile... here's one my Ops Manager shot yesterday  Be careful out there

1 hour ago, MikeHunt said:

Cams and a remap from 94hp?  I'd bet you a beer you don't get over 110 hp.  130 is a 38% increase... and that's a HUGE ask.

Meanwhile... here's one my Ops Manager shot yesterday  Be careful out there

Land of endless curves...my attention span always waned after 10 or 15 minutes.  38% is really quite easy,  cam the power band 38% higher:lol: Take 94 hp at 5000 rpm, cam it to breathe at 7000 rpm and you have 130hp (that is unrideable and irritating with flat spots and general weakness until it spins hard, if it doesn;t come apart.

5 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Brother has the same bike since new.

Did the LLyodd's cams, bigger injectors and remap a couple years ago

When done, it was run on a mobile dynometer for motorcycles in RI.(he wanted proof the changes work).

Was showing 129 hp.  Close enough for government work as they say...

There is all kinds of potential in that motor as it was designed from a clean sheet of paper using modern technologies. 

Great explanation in laymen's terms here:

The Indian motor is based on the Victory engine as Polaris saved some engineering money when they folded the brand to focus at H-D with a single spear.

We shall see how those numbers come out.

First I need to master this thing.

After 40 years of riding large bore rice rockets at speeds that I carry my lawyer's business card in my wallet, this bagger rig is fucking with my head big time.

Regular riding is fine. Well except for the instruments being completely blurry from my head shaking like it is in a blender from wind buffeting above 50 mph.   Just measured and ordered a new windscreen for the fairing that should eliminate that bs.

Real issue is slow speed as the floorboards are foreign to my noggin.  First I will log a coupe thousand miles to make the bike an extension of my arms and legs and surrender to the Zen of the friction zone, then take a motor cop slow speed handling course to unfuck my head.

Either way, win or lose, having a cold beer and talking scoots is always a good time...

Let you know the numbers when I hot rod the motor..

your video from you Op manager reminds me of my trips to Valbonne France.

From Saint-Tropez to Monaco, you could drive the coastal route, or through the mountains.

If you did the coastal drive, you had to watch your mirrors for Ferrari coming out of nowhere, passing you on the little straight away before the curve.

If you drove the mountain route, you had to watch your mirrors for the Paris-Dakar bikes coming out of nowhere and passing you on the the little straight away before the next curve.

2 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Brother has the same bike since new.

Did the LLyodd's cams, bigger injectors and remap a couple years ago

When done, it was run on a mobile dynometer for motorcycles in RI.(he wanted proof the changes work).

There is all kinds of potential in that motor as it was designed from a clean sheet of paper using modern technologies. 

Great explanation in laymen's terms here:

The Indian motor is based on the Victory engine as Polaris saved some engineering money when they folded the brand to focus at H-D with a single spear.

We shall see how those numbers come out.

First I need to master this thing.

After 40 years of riding large bore rice rockets at speeds that I carry my lawyer's business card in my wallet, this bagger rig is fucking with my head big time.

Regular riding is fine. Well except for the instruments being completely blurry from my head shaking like it is in a blender from wind buffeting above 50 mph.   Just measured and ordered a new windscreen for the fairing that should eliminate that bs.

Real issue is slow speed as the floorboards are foreign to my noggin.  First I will log a coupe thousand miles to make the bike an extension of my arms and legs and surrender to the Zen of the friction zone, then take a motor cop slow speed handling course to unfuck my head.

Either way, win or lose, having a cold beer and talking scoots is always a good time...

Let you know the numbers when I hot rod the motor..

Is it a variable cam timing motor?

On 7/19/2021 at 9:39 PM, warbird said:

Is it a variable cam timing motor?

Just checked the factory manual.

No it does not.

Each cylinder head has valves opened/closed using individual overhead cams via roller rocker arms.

Each cylinder has its own cam chain and chain adjuster.

So no high tech in the heads other than 4 valves in an spherical head.

Shit, my 1977 Suzuki GS750 had more tech 45 years ago when I started riding.

But then again, it was not a bagger...  ;<)

Mikes Hunt's crew, certified bush mechanics, needs only posties. Anything two wheels over 50hp might be a waste in most of SEA. ;)

• Like 1

I went for a ride with some guys on Japanese bikes, mostly restored and immaculate.

We were having something to eat when some Harley riders appeared with incredibly loud bikes, it was fucking ridiculous.

To their credit they said nothing, just watched the "oh look are me" fuckwits.  When the noise reduced to the level we could actually talk under, one of them said ... "we really . fucking . hate them."

On 7/20/2021 at 9:28 AM, Foreverslow said:

So why would he bother doing that to a great bike?

Not my favorite of the bikes I've owned, but one of the few times my picture was taken by a professional photographer while on a group ride with friends. :D

KLR3.jpg

• Like 1

Back in it after many years of 4 wheeling the family.  Now, enjoying a couple of rides- this is my fav. '96 Trident 900, 13K miles.

1468218294_TridentBRP.thumb.jpg.5a9d2852b67cd1dcfe8a2c83786e3356.jpg
  • Max total size: 9.77 MB

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  
19 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Mikes Hunt's crew, certified bush mechanics, needs only posties. Anything two wheels over 50hp might be a waste in most of SEA. ;)

Ha ha.... 

It's not so much that anything over 50hp is a waste... we do have some relatively straight roads - but who wants to ride 'em?  They're the roads the trucks and buses use... along with the idiot drivers.  We ride bikes here for enjoyment.... and the most fun I've had here on bikes has been the smaller, lighter bikes.  Big bikes become a chore on the B and C roads... and you're going to get bounced by the small bikes.

I reckon this video shows both sides of the story.  It's our backyard riding.. starts five minutes from home... about an 85 km loop, although there's plenty of variations on it - a bit much traffic on it, but its a close-in fun ride.  From about 1:00 on, I started having fun - I'd been riding sweep behind a couple of new Harleys until then.  My Ops Manager dropped to sweep and I cut through the pack.  Up front we had a KTM 390 with more than double the power of my CR250 Rally... and a Ducati Panigale V4S with ten times the power (close enough 214 hp to 22).  I had a ball... and after a roadworks stop I was able to gap him for a while.  The latter part of the video is me riding sweep behind the Harleys (everyone else on bikes from CRF250s up through 500X Hondas etc had cleared off into the distance) - and it was nowhere near the fun.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:13 AM, random. said:

So why would he bother doing that to a great bike?

My brother cannot help himself.  Never had kids and got bored sailing so he has money to spend.

And it is not just scoots.  Same on his cars, trucks, snowmobiiles etc.  They are all over the top and kept in pristine condition.

He used to buy Harleys and drop 15-20k into bigger jugs, pistons, high flow heads, exhausts etc.

SOBs were still slow and handled like crap.  He would get pissed when I would destroy it on the backroads and he would trade it in for a new one and start all over again.  DId 4 Harleys before his Victory.

The Victorys not only have a modern motor which is easy to hot rod (just saw a video for a supercharger..), but the aluminum double wishbone frames were sorted out before they went into production.   I come from riding big bore ricers.  The Victory is the first time I thought about getting a bagger.  They handle and brake very well.  In fact i LOVE how it sucks up the bumps on crap roads.  And  I hear there is rear shock/spring built by Penske for $800 that makes the bike handle even better.

But to answer your question, there is a old saying you cannot have enough good looks, money or horsepower...   :<)

On 4/22/2021 at 4:43 PM, Priscilla said:

I like this...

1CC0B1EE-2CB2-4F42-9E46-2CD2FA48A10A.jpeg.3930d7532b579179ac26c01b14074875.jpeg

Got this...

54AA17DB-68F0-4B70-9765-DEE5E1E6F319.thumb.jpeg.2d78d5e989e6367f083d3870450fb0af.jpeg

1E500B9E-E81E-4771-86A5-9ADB897BDA93.thumb.jpeg.bf479270a84046dbe20d574bb3dbf1d6.jpeg

Your yamie will probably run rings around that aprilia after it breaks down.  Those little twins were not known for their reliability.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, warbird said:

image.thumb.png.c3553fa8ef09aaa20ac204ceffda62ed.pngWorking on a deal here. :ph34r: I'll tell Mrs Warbird it's an investment.

Mrs Warbird said yah right, aren't you already broke up enough?

5 minutes ago, warbird said:

Mrs Warbird said yah right, aren't you already broke up enough?

but it's just an investment!  investments are safe, right?  I think you need to revisit this with the missus ;)

• Like 1

I Road about 150 miles today more than half of that on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Spruce Pine, North Carolina and Blowing Rock North Carolina. This area of North Carolina has some of the best motorcycle riding roads east of the Mississippi. I ride a 2018 RoadGlide Ultra, only because my wife loves to ride with me and she demands her comfort. Otherwise I would have something more sporty. I am by no means saying anything negative about my Harley it is a fine motorcycle for its intended purpose which is comfortable touring.

no pictures today but this is from last week.

52FDE5CA-C335-4625-A9A8-2F8ECF2F8D7A.jpeg

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, chester said:

but it's just an investment!  investments are safe, right?  I think you need to revisit this with the missus ;)

Working on shipping options now. Mrs just got a nice 2 liter turbo EscapeB)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

I Road about 150 miles today more than half of that on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Spruce Pine, North Carolina and Blowing Rock North Carolina. This area of North Carolina has some of the best motorcycle riding roads east of the Mississippi. I ride a 2018 RoadGlide Ultra, only because my wife loves to ride with me and she demands her comfort. Otherwise I would have something more sporty. I am by no means saying anything negative about my Harley it is a fine motorcycle for its intended purpose which is comfortable touring.

Happy wife, happy life...

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, warbird said:

image.thumb.png.c3553fa8ef09aaa20ac204ceffda62ed.pngWorking on a deal here. :ph34r: I'll tell Mrs Warbird it's an investment.

This will need a flatter bar, pegs and controls back 3 to 6 inches and lose the tach(they don't Rev anyway) to a new mount sustem.

13 minutes ago, warbird said:

Working on shipping options now. Mrs just got a nice 2 liter turbo EscapeB)

Picking It up is a a 2 day affair.  Weekends till mid Sept are yacht racing. New granddaughter babysitting  is 3-5 days a week so timing is difficult.

27 minutes ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Motorcycles represent freedom to my sense of life.  I tried convertible sport cars.  They are only slightly more practical and not the same experience.  I expect to be up on the Blue Ridge Parkway over Labor Day to see my daughter.  She wants to get her own bike too.  I wish she'd started 20 years ago when I was pushing it on her.  Experience counts.   It scares the hell out of me.  But, you live. She's more than just a girl.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, hasher said:

Motorcycles represent freedom to my sense of life.  I tried convertible sport cars.  They are only slightly more practical and not the same experience.  I expect to be up on the Blue Ridge Parkway over Labor Day to see my daughter.  She wants to get her own bike too.  I wish she'd started 20 years ago when I was pushing it on her.  Experience counts.   It scares the hell out of me.  But, you live. She's more than just a girl.

Motorcycle safety, every driveway is an enemy, every intersection is a landmine.

13 minutes ago, warbird said:

Motorcycle safety, every driveway is an enemy, every intersection is a landmine.

Butterfly,

I thought you forgot about me.  

If you ever hit the ground while moving, you don't forget.

I'd prefer children learn on dirt.

A hard way is better than the last day. 

1 minute ago, hasher said:

Butterfly,

A hard way is better than the last way. 

Dirt rules. Ask Kenny Roberts. You learn all on the dirt,   some of it makes you a better pavement rider, the rest is fond memories...

1 minute ago, warbird said:

Dirt rules. Ask Kenny Roberts. You learn all on the dirt,   some of it makes you a better pavement rider, the rest is fond memories...

I'm only crazy when no one is looking at my ride.

Riding motorcycles bonded me to my son.  I took him down trails he was scared the hell out of.  He did fine.

My daughter just wondered I why I dragged her along on back. 

Do you think this is scary?  Grow up.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

I'm almost certain your wife would be more comfortable in a convertible.

14 hours ago, warbird said:

This will need a flatter bar, pegs and controls back 3 to 6 inches and lose the tach(they don't Rev anyway) to a new mount sustem.

Good looking bike.

Needs high pipes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm almost certain your wife would be more comfortable in a convertible.

Her daily is a convertible. I guess I’m blessed, she enjoys riding the bike with me and because we are two peas in a pod I like riding with her. We have traveled extensively together on two wheels.

25 minutes ago, herbie verstinx said:

Yep. My 1982 rm 250

IMG_20191024_132815333_HDR(1).jpg

Back when that bike was new I had the 125cc version. Great times on that bike! 

Anyone in western North Carolina/eastern Tennessee interested in a Triumph Bonneville project bike cheap? My dad passed away last October and among the stuff in his sheds up in the hills is this bike he’s had for years. Set up as a chopper Easy Rider-style, pretty cool painted tank, motor turns over freely by hand, everything is there along with a couple of low profile rear rims, shop manuals, etc. Hasn’t been started in 20 years or so but his place is a couple of miles from the parkway so he used to ride it a bunch before other life issues got in the way. I have many more pics if interested.

4C224C0C-C2B6-4856-B141-966E92C4EF21.jpeg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Looks like thigh burners to me. Other then that I could use a bike like that for the gravel roads around here.

In those days rider's wore high boots.

Heat shields are effective.

I prefer high pipes to both exit on the same side,

Honda had ir right back in the 60's

Honda CL77 Scrambler - The Unstoppable Scrambler Version Of The Super Hawk

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Heat shields are effective.

I prefer high pipes to both exit on the same side,

Honda had ir right back in the 60's

Honda CL77 Scrambler - The Unstoppable Scrambler Version Of The Super Hawk

That is because you were conditioned by "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" ads, I however was conditioned by....

image.png.95aff2bf9997972402268bb7d423423b.pngimage.png.95aff2bf9997972402268bb7d423423b.png and...Image 1 - 1973 NORTON Commando 850 Motorcycle Red Superplusbikes Vintage Print Ad

Those big heavy British scramblers were very cool on road but completely useless in the hills - a 350 Honda would leave them.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Those big heavy British scramblers were very cool on road but completely useless in the hills - a 350 Honda would leave them.

When you are 9 years old weight doesn't matter much, it is the aura of old school qu(?)ality and tits.:D

37 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Or even one of these would.

My weekend ride.

Bikefrontgatelowres.thumb.jpg.c9bac094f7595550cca8239894166257.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 2:42 AM, Winston29 said:

Not my favorite of the bikes I've owned, but one of the few times my picture was taken by a professional photographer while on a group ride with friends. :D

KLR3.jpg

Is the doohickey done?

lol

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, random. said:

Or even one of these would.

My weekend ride.

Bikefrontgatelowres.thumb.jpg.c9bac094f7595550cca8239894166257.jpg

I live in a state of germanic orderliness. Square County roads, Square city streets. Twisters are few and far between. We are the home of Harley Davidson after all. There's a moto park 30 miles away but my knees cannot do that anymore. I have developed a rare eye condition and I am deciding to ride an interesting bike for a while.

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

I live in a state of germanic orderliness. Square County roads, Square city streets. Twisters are few and far between. We are the home of Harley Davidson after all. There's a moto park 30 miles away but my knees cannot do that anymore. I have developed a rare eye condition and I am deciding to ride an interesting bike for a while.

I recall flying into Boston from LA at night.  I could make out the Great Lakes by the black shapes.

The sheer extent of the seemingly never ending lights to the south flabbergasted me, still to this day.  Completely urbanized, cities completely joined up with other cities stretching off to the horizon.  Fuck.

On the ground you don't notice so much, you can only see so far.

Plenty of great riding around here.  If I go for a ride during the week, I can ride for 30 mins each way to a mountain lookout and only see one or two cars on a twisty road.  I do appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, random. said:

I recall flying into Boston from LA at night.  I could make out the Great Lakes by the black shapes.

The sheer extent of the seemingly never ending lights to the south flabbergasted me, still to this day.  Completely urbanized, cities completely joined up with other cities stretching off to the horizon.  Fuck.

On the ground you don't notice so much, you can only see so far.

Plenty of great riding around here.  If I go for a ride during the week, I can ride for 30 mins each way to a mountain lookout and only see one or two cars on a twisty road.  I do appreciate it.

Southern California was nirvana for mountainous twisties, Wisconsin not so much.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Southern California was nirvana for mountainous twisties, Wisconsin not so much.

Try riding in Florida. Talk about long and straight and hot!

One of the reasons we bought the house in NCarolina was to be close to great riding while being close enough to our Florida home that I could actually ride there in a day.

One problem with that commute is it seems all roads lead through Atlanta, and I hate Atlanta in a cage and especially on two wheels.

• Like 2
On 8/6/2021 at 9:13 PM, hasher said:

Butterfly,

A hard way is better than the last day. 

Been riding since 73, lots of dirt in the 70s for me.See the source image

• Like 1
1 hour ago, warbird said:

In California splitting lanes is legal.  In the great freedom state of Georgia we are required to wear helmets and can't split lanes.  Freedom unless you have a tattoo or a propensity to hate other people telling you what you need to do for yourself.

14 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Last Friday.  I was riding sweep.  Lady in front of me was on a borrowed bike... a CB300R.  I'm on one of the 500X hire bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU2bmwIHQco&t=3s

Two observations here. You guys like to hug the yellow line, you would make a hood ornament here in the states. The second observation is you are riding on the wrong side of the road. (Sarcasm)

5 minutes ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Two observations here. You guys like to hug the yellow line, you would make a hood ornament here in the states. The second observation is you are riding on the wrong side of the road. (Sarcasm)

I think you might be missing the extreme skill displayed avoiding sleeping cows and mostly missing slippery cow shit! PURPLE

On 8/8/2021 at 6:20 PM, warbird said:

When you are 9 years old weight doesn't matter much, it is the aura of old school qu(?)ality and tits.:D

My 350 Honda had Hooker pipes.  It was the CL.  There was also a CB and SL.  Honda owned the motorcycle market.

10 minutes ago, warbird said:

If you waited a few more years you got an Elsinore

https://images.app.goo.gl/G4vNPL7awdZigmg4A

At 16 waiting more than a minute was way too long.  She had a few years on her when she became mine.  I guess they all need to get broken in before they get to me.

10 hours ago, hasher said:

At 16 waiting more than a minute was way too long.  She had a few years on her when she became mine.  I guess they all need to get broken in before they get to me.

A used bike you know for certain is able to be ridden, a new bike might just fall over.

11 hours ago, hasher said:

My 350 Honda had Hooker pipes.  It was the CL.  There was also a CB and SL.  Honda owned the motorcycle market.

Always thought the SL family were some of the prettiest bikes ever made.

• Like 1
On 8/17/2021 at 11:13 PM, hasher said:

Owned a SL.  Put a big ass rear sprocket on it and it was cheap ass trail bike that could climb vertically.

There was also the CJ 350 made in 77 and 78.   A stripped out bike to compete at cost with the stripped out version of the KZ400.   The CJ had the worlds most uncomfortable seat and a steering head so tiny you could feel the bike flex underneath you.  Also had a 2:1 exhaust to reduce costs rather than for performance.   Rode with a guy who used to drag race. He took a CJ and modified it to run on alcohol.  Also ripped the baffles out of the pipe.

Only took it out on Friday nights looking for suckers to street race.    Had to be a sicko to drive that POS at speeds the boys in Japan never had in mind.

Sheboygan WI USA

Silver bike looks like a Honda CB900F from the early 1980s with a custom seat and tank.  Could also be a 1983 CB1100F with Euro-spec headlight and guages.  USA spec 1100F had rectangular headlamp in a small fairing.  So tend to think 900F with Comstar rims.

Went for a ride yesterday.  Got wet.  Had a ball

So, yesterday's ride. The 36 Elephant Ride. Club ride with Ulysses Club Thailand... my last as President and Ride Co-ordinator before the AGM this coming Wednesday. I didn't capture the first half of the ride (how the hell does someone stuff an SD card in beside the battery, rather than in it's slot in the GoPro?)... but suffice to say, it pissed down on us and we arrived at the lunch stop drenched. Wet season does that from time to time... and this year is a wet one. But, it doesn't matter. No-one complained... it isn't cold and the roads were good.

At lunch, I asked the guys "how many elephants did you see?" None. I'd seen well over two dozen at that stage, split between three locations. One of the advantages of riding sweep is that you get to look around a bit. We were up in the hills, on the Mae Taeng River - were the tourists used to go for white water rafting and to pat the elephants, now that someone discovered that they can market "don't ride them". After lunch, we headed through the hills, spotting more... as seen in the video, then dropped down onto the plains and hit the main road to Pai. Watch the video and you will see why I don't advocate large bikes in Northern Thailand. Even on the open road, the 500's gave us all the fun we needed. There's too many dickheads in trucks who are cutting corners, too many dogs, too many... whatevers to be wanting to go harder than these things will go. I nearly took a CRF 250 Rally on this ride... but settled on the 500X because of the road in the second half of the video.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No two stroke sounds cool.

I have to disagree... I've only got two of 'em among 40 or so bikes now... a modified MZ250 and this one, a 26 year old KDX250 Kwacka  - no ring dings in this video, but that noise had me smiling from ear to ear when I rode it home from this ride through a mountain pass on the sealed road.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, warbird said:

I visited "The Throttle Stop", a Car and Motorcycle museum in Elkhart Lake, WI. 

You need to get to the Barber museum in Birmingham AL sometime!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My current ride is a 1989 FJ.  I've owned it since 1990, although it did get parked for 16 years due to kids and family.

1220407218_postrideFJ.thumb.jpg.e070a7abb32549a29bb2cb753e8f7422.jpg

I just rolled 40K, so barely broken in.  Here is a short video where we were scouting out local places to launch our Hobie 16.

My son is riding a 1984 Magna V30.  It's his first bike.

3 hours ago, Waiex191 said:

1220407218_postrideFJ.thumb.jpg.e070a7abb32549a29bb2cb753e8f7422.jpg

I just rolled 40K, so barely broken in. 

When I used to ride that was pretty much the life of a bike - except the big ones like Bonnevilles & Harleys.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

When I used to ride that was pretty much the life of a bike - except the big ones like Bonnevilles & Harleys.

I also own a 1981 GN400 single that I bought new when I was 15.  It has probably about 35,000 miles on it but the vibration killed the first speedo and odometer at around 20K.  It is currently languishing with a busted ez-out in the remains of the exhaust pipe stud.  I have a couple of projects ahead of it in the queue.

489271950_testridetime.jpg.4fe9b1607bc7a3d9b5c38d073492a10f.jpg

On 8/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, warbird said:

I visited "The Throttle Stop", a Car and Motorcycle museum in Elkhart Lake, WI. 20210828_133402.thumb.jpg.18791c3ee7306d1de61e5176cce98425.jpg20210828_133619.thumb.jpg.be0bf83a6312e7bac5b8d9dc414f53c3.jpg20210828_134027.thumb.jpg.796a8e32fe055bdd268e345eb07ab8e4.jpg20210828_133832.thumb.jpg.b316870bc962913d4bc0564660cf4087.jpg

Smoke Red 78 R100S!!

Owned the sister for nearly 42 years...

1989 Body Restoration392.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, rstone said:

Smoke Red 78 R100S!!

Owned the sister for nearly 42 years...

1989 Body Restoration392.jpg

That bike captured the hearts and dreams of a decade of enthusiasts. 

I have always had a special place in my heart for the airheads.To date I haven’t owned a Beemer Motorrad, but I am in the market for a newish R1250RT. They are hot and selling quick.

I was riding a 10 year old Bonneville when the 100s crossed my path. The Bonneville was geared down and sported a 800cc Routt kit. No mufflers to speak of so pure hooligan. It was fast, beautiful but wrist numbing. Remember being so amazed by the smooth long legs of the BMW. Now, 40+ years later, it rides like the antique that it is. We're both getting on so it's okay and, I don't miss the kick back of that old Triumph.

• Like 1

Didn't mention 11-1/2:1 compression ratio and Avgas. Reaching for hand grips had me thinking I was grabbing the points of a long horn steer. the greatest thing? That shift from 2nd to 3rd --god given manhood.  

All selective memory. There were reasons for buying a reliable mount and now recall the girlfriend didn't care for gasoline smelling fingers. 

Odd shots330.jpg

Odd shots331.jpg

1987 Photo taken after interested party test rode and pealed off twelve, hundred dollar bills. I was getting married in a couple of months and thinking honeymoon expenses. She left after thirty years but I still have this photo. 

1970 Triumph376.jpg