• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m 1200 miles into a whim trip that may run over 3000 miles in the next week.  Left Mars Hill NC on Thursday afternoon. Rode to Jackson Ms to visit an old friend for the weekend. We rode part of th

Just a cool motorcycle picture. Love the look on the kids face.

So, this isn't really a bikes thread , or maybe it is. I took delivery of online purchase '77 XS650.  Cool bike, some nice touches and a 750 big bore kit.  Face it, I am not going touring or 100 mile

Posted Images

I’m 1200 miles into a whim trip that may run over 3000 miles in the next week. 
Left Mars Hill NC on Thursday afternoon. Rode to Jackson Ms to visit an old friend for the weekend. We rode part of the Nanchez Trace Parkway Saturday and Sunday.
I took off from his house this morning and went to my house in Panama City.

The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful….. lol.

BC298785-B3B7-46E7-818B-0551A2F1C547.jpeg

D294998C-5D10-4A79-90DD-3764F590DBB4.jpeg

FC1C595B-486B-467D-9ED9-4D5BE92D0607.jpeg

• Like 4

The lads were out in the hills on Saturday.  I opted out with a bit of malaise after my second Pfizer jab.  A Royal Enfield Himalayan joined the ride (ten bikes).  At one stage fully half of the guys were struggling to get the whale of a thing up one hill.  I'm a fan of lighter bikes - both on and off-road.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I'm a fan of lighter bikes - both on and off-road.

Very cool video.  I've owned two dirtbikes in my life - a CR480 that I was a total hazard on, and a little Kawasaki 100.  Both lots of fun. 

I have two street bikes, an FJ1200 and a GN400.  The GN400 is great.  As a buddy said, the amount of fun you have is a function of how much you are at WOT.  Easy to do on a GN400, but on the FJ you get to "go directly to jail" speeds too quick.

Sadly, the GN is languishing with a broken EZ out in the head.  I have a few projects in front of it in the queue.  Wait, wasn't there a thread around here about EZ outs?

19 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Nice!  Hopefully someday when I'm retired I'll still be up for the long rides.  I've done round trips from my former home in Connecticut both to Florida and California.  It's a great way to see the country.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

The lads were out in the hills on Saturday.  I opted out with a bit of malaise after my second Pfizer jab.  A Royal Enfield Himalayan joined the ride (ten bikes).  At one stage fully half of the guys were struggling to get the whale of a thing up one hill.  I'm a fan of lighter bikes - both on and off-road.

I rode dirt bikes from 80CC to 360CC - beyond that was road bikes.

Most of my riding was grassland and piney mountains. IME the 250CC to 350CC range is the sweet spot in the dirt. Enough power to get up & over anything but the lightest bike possible.

The Yamaha RT1 360 was getting to be too much of a good thing - the DT1 250 would have been nicer I think.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Left Mars Hill NC on Thursday afternoon. Rode to Jackson Ms to visit an old friend for the weekend. We rode part of the Nanchez Trace Parkway Saturday and Sunday.
I took off from his house this morning and went to my house in Panama City.

The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful….. lol.

BC298785-B3B7-46E7-818B-0551A2F1C547.jpeg

D294998C-5D10-4A79-90DD-3764F590DBB4.jpeg

FC1C595B-486B-467D-9ED9-4D5BE92D0607.jpeg

Why not just buy a car?

Left my house in Florida yesterday and 530 miles and 9 hrs later I was at my NC house. It was a beautiful day for a ride. I hate the super slab but I had to make miles to get where I was going before dark. I am over 1800 miles in this trip and having a great time.

B87CC7D5-5CD0-4C85-88D9-F28426EEA0DA.jpeg

90A550CA-FA62-4B18-893D-B5F15BA3E4A2.jpeg

• Like 1

My friend and I did about 105 miles today despite the rain. We went north into Tennessee and ended near the top of Roan Mountain. The road to the top closes on Oct 1. We missed it by two days. 
The ride back to Mars Hill was in very heavy rain and steep windy roads, fun stuff in the wet!

Only one picture today as we were in heavy rain most of the day.

9A2DED7B-DFBA-45CF-BEAB-3C172F6B05EC.jpeg

• Like 1
On 9/29/2021 at 4:47 AM, SloopJonB said:

I rode dirt bikes from 80CC to 360CC - beyond that was road bikes.

Most of my riding was grassland and piney mountains. IME the 250CC to 350CC range is the sweet spot in the dirt. Enough power to get up & over anything but the lightest bike possible.

The Yamaha RT1 360 was getting to be too much of a good thing - the DT1 250 would have been nicer I think.

My two favourite dirt bikes are my two KTMs

This one for the more open stuff - dirt roads, OK in all but the real gnarly stuff offroad, because it weighs in around 180kg.  It's the 950cc Super Enduro - a 98hp dirt bike.  It was the absolutely perfect bike for overlanding through Australia, the islands, SE Asia and up to the China border.

monele1.jpg

I can't think of a better 'round the world bike.  Enough grunt to sit on 100+ mph in the dirt or on sealed roads and not in the least bit phased by difficult terrain

121ffguuuu.jpg

0B8.jpg

My smaller KTM - the 525EXC - is 13kg lighter than my mate here's KLX250 - and 31kg lighter than the half dozen CRF250 Hondas I've got in the hire fleet - and which I mostly ride here in Thailand.  It's got near three times the power of the CRFs - although, in stock form it is just over double the power.  I bought an engine for it built by an altogether too rich Austrian chap, who then decided he wanted something else.  I got it as a brand new engine.  613cc.  72hp and the ability to tractor its way up rather steep and gorpy stuff.  Despite that power, it isn't a bike I take much over 60mph.  Last time I did, it threw most of the knobs off the rear tyre.

00bb1y.jpg

I sure as hell wouldn't take the big Katoom here - and I'd be circumspect about taking a CRF 250 too - that's 400' straight down to the rocks on the banks of the Mekong on the left

Mekong ride shot.jpg

or here... the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos, wet season.  Both shots on the 113kg 525 EXC

045 copy.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

My two favourite dirt bikes are my two KTMs

This one for the more open stuff - dirt roads, OK in all but the real gnarly stuff offroad, because it weighs in around 180kg.  It's the 950cc Super Enduro - a 98hp dirt bike.  It was the absolutely perfect bike for overlanding through Australia, the islands, SE Asia and up to the China border.

I can't think of a better 'round the world bike.  Enough grunt to sit on 100+ mph in the dirt or on sealed roads and not in the least bit phased by difficult terrain

My smaller KTM - the 525EXC - is 13kg lighter than my mate here's KLX250 - and 31kg lighter than the half dozen CRF250 Hondas I've got in the hire fleet - and which I mostly ride here in Thailand.  It's got near three times the power of the CRFs - although, in stock form it is just over double the power.  I bought an engine for it built by an altogether too rich Austrian chap, who then decided he wanted something else.  I got it as a brand new engine.  613cc.  72hp and the ability to tractor its way up rather steep and gorpy stuff.  Despite that power, it isn't a bike I take much over 60mph.  Last time I did, it threw most of the knobs off the rear tyre.

I sure as hell wouldn't take the big Katoom here - and I'd be circumspect about taking a CRF 250 too - that's 400' straight down to the rocks on the banks of the Mekong on the left

or here... the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos, wet season.  Both shots on the 113kg 525 EXC

045 copy.jpg

what the heck IS that contraption?

2 hours ago, chester said:

what the heck IS that contraption?

Presumably you mean something other than the bikes.  It's an Iron Buffalo.  Single cylinder diesel engine driving those front wheels.  Towing a trailer.  Very versatile contraptions. 

That one came along the trail when I was a bit stuck.  They got a bit stuck too - so, I helped push them through, they helped me through

They float them across deep creeks - with a bag over the inlet.

047guykit78i7.jpg

I got the guys below to give me a lift back to my bike after I drowned it in a river... I took the battery into a village, charged it off a solar panel - enjoyed some fine roasted rat cuisine - and recovered a bit over a couple of days.

102dtyu56878.jpg

Rat tastes more like rabbit than chicken, btw
368dsryae6y54.jpg

Ever tried kick starting a flooded, large single cylinder bike with a boot like this?

061srtyur56u7.jpg

• Like 1

Showed up Monday. A bit lighter than a stock XS650 and with the punch of a 750 cc big bore kit it has been entertaining.  This is NOT crotchrocket fast but still entertaining.20211004_095412.thumb.jpg.b817682810eb0c30962d8608a116ae0c.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, herbie verstinx said:

My 1982 rm250 full floater still running strong.

IMG_20191024_132815333_HDR.jpg

When I was a kid, a buddy had one.  I lusted after it - but only had a Sears moped.

1 hour ago, herbie verstinx said:

My 1982 rm250 full floater still running strong.

IMG_20191024_132815333_HDR.jpg

I've never understood the thinking behind that style of rear suspension.

What is the purpose of mounting the coil over almost on the pivot point of the swing arm? There is virtually no lever arm for it to work with.

It looks like attaching the mainsheet and vang right at the gooseneck.

Anybody?

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

What is the purpose of mounting the coil over almost on the pivot point of the swing arm? There is virtually no lever arm for it to work with.

Anybody?

You get more suspension travel.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Anybody?

MAX TRAVEL 

at the outside end of the arm you would need a 36" shock to get  16" -17" of travel

Or less

• Like 1

What bike for a 9 day winter Copper Canyon ride?

Motel stays, long stretches and 200 plus tank range. I am thinking of building a GS scrambler similar to this which now can be found for good deals. The risk of loss or damage would be less of a shock.

1836498095_ScreenShot2021-10-15at8_25_41AM.thumb.png.c43bee477fcfdcb6acb6762a86441cdb.png

727935086_ScreenShot2021-10-15at11_56_19AM.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

What bike for a 9 day winter Copper Canyon ride?

Motel stays, long stretches and 200 plus tank range. I am thinking of building a GS scrambler similar to this which now can be found for good deals. The risk of loss or damage would be less of a shock.

1836498095_ScreenShot2021-10-15at8_25_41AM.thumb.png.c43bee477fcfdcb6acb6762a86441cdb.png

Honda XRL 650 with a 6 gallon acerbis tank.

Yeah, a couple of years back, two mates did Alaska to Patagonia on Honda 650 singles. Less weight is a good idea.  I'd even be up for it on a CRF250 - provided you pack light.  I spent 3 days out on this one, including a 2-day ride over the last week

dv1j.jpg

This was on day 3.  I changed the seat to a better padded one for the third day :-)

• Like 1

Incidentally, this ride is through an area just out of Chiang Mai that is called Death Valley - not because of any similarity obviously... but because it's a bitch of a road when wet.  This is a lot steeper than it looks

dv1m.jpg

IMG20211013103943.jpg

Some nice old teak buildings at a temple in there

dv1u.jpg

That's my ops manager on the Rally - and a regular customer on one of my other rentals

dv1c.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Honda XRL 650 with a 6 gallon acerbis tank.

would be interesting but then changes the costs as it would be more expensive than running a scramblerized bastard kraut bike.

The goal would be to do this ride, sell the bike then visit Mickie Hunt's hole when it is less damp and slick. I have come to like it drier without a slicker where I can get more friction and all the while avoiding a doctor's visit.  :lol:

Maaate.... this time of year is perfect.  Rains disappearing (says he as it belts down outside at 3:52am).... and everything nice and green.  Come February, its dry and starting to get smokey 

dv1r.jpg

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Maaate.... this time of year is perfect.  Rains disappearing (says he as it belts down outside at 3:52am).... and everything nice and green.  Come February, its dry and starting to get smokey 

dv1r.jpg

What about Asian new year?  Given the choice - is it better before, during or after?

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Anybody?

The shock is working on a bell crank with the struts under the number plate translating the up and down motion. IIRC.

http://pulpmx.com/app/uploads/2019/03/csteel136_3-1024x876.png

Floater: One of the major changes on the RM125 for 1981 was the addition of Suzuki’s all-new single shock rear suspension system. Coined the “Full Floater” for its unique “floating” shock arrangement, this system used a series of rocker arms, pull rods, and linkages to compress the shock from both the top and the bottom simultaneously.  Photo Credit: Suzuki

Edited by Ukuri
Pic didn't show.
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Black Jack said:

would be interesting but then changes the costs as it would be more expensive than running a scramblerized bastard kraut bike.

The goal would be to do this ride, sell the bike then visit Mickie Hunt's hole when it is less damp and slick. I have come to like it drier without a slicker where I can get more friction and all the while avoiding a doctor's visit.  :lol:

I don't know.  Bought mine for $2k, put an acerbis tank on it, some foot pegs, a "seat concepts" seat and some wolfman luggage.  I am pretty sure I have way less than $4k in it all up.  I also have a BMW R100GS airhead.  The honda is a (knock on wood) totally reliable, not so much for the old airhead but it is fun to ride.  Will get some photos of the XRL tomorrow.  Unlike the BMW, the honda has never been very photo worthy where the BMW has a lot of "row away", not that it helps when something lets loose and you get towed home.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Ukuri said:

http://pulpmx.com/app/uploads/2019/03/csteel136_3-1024x876.png

Floater: One of the major changes on the RM125 for 1981 was the addition of Suzuki’s all-new single shock rear suspension system. Coined the “Full Floater” for its unique “floating” shock arrangement, this system used a series of rocker arms, pull rods, and linkages to compress the shock from both the top and the bottom simultaneously.  Photo Credit: Suzuki

My '88 GSXR 750 had a "full floater", but by then they were just using the linkage at the bottom of the shock, the bell crank Warbird referred to.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bridhb said:

My '88 GSXR 750 had a "full floater", but by then they were just using the linkage at the bottom of the shock, the bell crank Warbird referred to.  

I would imagine Cad Cam, real life experience, and maybe "$COST TO BUILD"  changed the discussion. That was an era of awesome suspension development.  My hard riding was on 3 to 8 inches of travel. I climbed on my son's CR250,  '99 ish and was enchanted:D

I test road a ‘17 R1200RT yesterday, as I am looking for a lighter more performance oriented bike too keep at my N Carolina house for riding around these great mountain roads.

I love my RoadGlide but at #900 it’s getting to be a chore horsing the bike around in some of the parking areas here. The one requirement is I have to have a good two up bike. My wife rides with me all the time and you know the saying “happy wife, happy life.”

Im curious if any of you have ever owned one. What are its strengths and weaknesses. What should I look for on a used model?

Im trying to stay with a newer model as I like some of the technology such as the adaptive suspension and ride modes. 

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated.

Picked up this ‘15 this weekend. 17k miles and many farkles. Gonna work on getting it tagged so I can take advantage of the last of the good weather here before winter sets in. I have lusted after one for a long time.

BB4AAD2F-57DF-46ED-9A91-FACE6EFE63B8.jpeg

ADD1DE6B-169F-40A8-AECF-0451428D7D0F.jpeg

• Like 1
On 10/16/2021 at 8:24 AM, Jules said:

When you purchased your first motorcycle, how much time passed from when you first considered it to when you bought it?

It was for a purpose for me. I wanted to be able to park it in the city and take it to school. I discovered I liked riding all day for several days in a row. I would have never guessed that was going to become so important.  I now love adventure riding. Motels and hotels nearly every night but with back up tent and bag just in case.

The last motorcycle I bought was about where I wanted to ride and who I wanted to ride with.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2021 at 10:24 AM, Jules said:

When you purchased your first motorcycle, how much time passed from when you first considered it to when you bought it?

In the old days we read reviews of Motorcycles in things called magazines  and were maybe swayed as much by the author of the review as by the raw data of the review. First bike I had no data on as a 17 year old, Ron had a Suzuki TS90 for sale for $250, I had $250, deal!!!

• Like 2
On 10/16/2021 at 3:01 PM, Wetabehindtheears said:

I test road a ‘17 R1200RT yesterday, as I am looking for a lighter more performance oriented bike too keep at my N Carolina house for riding around these great mountain roads.

I love my RoadGlide but at #900 it’s getting to be a chore horsing the bike around in some of the parking areas here. The one requirement is I have to have a good two up bike. My wife rides with me all the time and you know the saying “happy wife, happy life.”

Im curious if any of you have ever owned one. What are its strengths and weaknesses. What should I look for on a used model?

Im trying to stay with a newer model as I like some of the technology such as the adaptive suspension and ride modes. 

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated.

am on my 5th beemer right now, today it's the R1250RT, until 2 years ago it was the 1200RT which was outstanding, kept it for 10 years but at the end, as it's always parked outside and next to the sea it got so rusty, the tire pressure alarm would go off all the time (and the mechanic refused to check saying "this will cost you a shitload of $$$ to trace the rusted contacts down, just stick something over the alarm) and at the end the drive shaft seized, completely rusted, not the best of moments when you're  driving and suddenly the rear locks up. Of course, these conditions are rather extreme, but other than that, one hell of a machine, have been all over europe with it ( > 120.000km), difference between 1200 amd 1250 is that the funny beemer guys seem to find more horsepower each time they update the age old boxer motor, first one I got a couple decades ago was at 90 hp and now it's 136. BUT what I do appreciate is that is not raw, wild power (like my Kawa 750 2 stroke way back in '78. nicknamed " the widowmaker"), they are very good at spreading the power right where it needs to be, powerful but controlled.

For the missus,  she'll be just fine, the looks -at least, to me- are not nice, but this big panier at the back, looking a bit like a bathtub, usually comes along with a nice backrest which she will appreciate.... grin, you might even go for a bum heater, that will get her going.

I'm wondering if all you guys know about the Fortnine Youtube channel.

The young man who puts these together is absolutely brilliant and entertaining. 

Here's a sample which coincidentally highlights what I'm riding lately. But there's all kinds of other good stuff on this channel also.

6 hours ago, Dorado said:

I'm wondering if all you guys know about the Fortnine Youtube channel.

The young man who puts these together is absolutely brilliant and entertaining. 

Here's a sample which coincidentally highlights what I'm riding lately. But there's all kinds of other good stuff on this channel also.

Yes I do enjoy his videos and have seen dozens of them. They are well thought out and produced. One of his subjects involved counter leaning that started a sort of a controversial back and forth in the YouTube motorcycle blogger world that was very entertaining.

As far as the Burghman 650, I have alway secretly lusted after that scoot. I thought it would be a great choice to load on the back of my RV knowing that thing would do everything as well as my current bike just 400# lighter. When I mentioned that to some of my riding buddies, they threaten to tar and feather me if I showed up with one! :(

On 10/16/2021 at 4:11 AM, Black Jack said:

What about Asian new year?  Given the choice - is it better before, during or after?

Sorry - I thought I'd answered this.  Mustn't have pushed the right button.  The new year in Thailand is very much driven by the seasons... and Songkran is a great festival... but not the best time for bike riding here.  It's essentially about the end of the dry and washing away the sins and troubles of the past year.  Best riding is now until February... when it starts to get dry and smoky.  Last year's smoky season was a fraction of the year before's - with more focus on sustainable re-use of stubble etc.  The wet season is just coming to an end - it's still slippery off-road at times, but even during the whole wet season, we ride.  It isn't cold rain... and it's normally just localised storms - which are gone whilst you have a beer / coffee to let them go.  It's rare that we call off a ride because of rain.  Happened twice this year that I can recall - and even then, we did a ride a few hours later.

Dry / smoky season
0bdr2b.jpg

0ad1c.jpg

Wet season
ri1e.jpg

12 hours ago, warbird said:

First bike I had no data on as a 17 year old, Ron had a Suzuki TS90 for sale for $250, I had $250, deal!!!

I was 15 when my mom said my sister still hadn't reimbursed her for the Honda 50 my sister was tooling around on.  "It's yours if you reimburse me."  Done!  That is was powder blue with mudguards didn't matter.  It was freedom for me.

3 hours ago, Jules said:

I was 15 when my mom said my sister still hadn't reimbursed her for the Honda 50 my sister was tooling around on.  "It's yours if you reimburse me."  Done!  That is was powder blue with mudguards didn't matter.  It was freedom for me.

:D mamas gots to get paid...eventually

7 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Yes I do enjoy his videos and have seen dozens of them. They are well thought out and produced. One of his subjects involved counter leaning that started a sort of a controversial back and forth in the YouTube motorcycle blogger world that was very entertaining.

As far as the Burghman 650, I have alway secretly lusted after that scoot. I thought it would be a great choice to load on the back of my RV knowing that thing would do everything as well as my current bike just 400# lighter. When I mentioned that to some of my riding buddies, they threaten to tar and feather me if I showed up with one! :(

The 650 weighs over 600 lbs. I use a trailer. 

I bought it so my wife could ride with me, as she was having trouble getting on the GS 1200 and a Versys 1000. I liked the Burgman so much I sold the other two off, and now it's my only bike. Been riding over 50 years and never thought I'd ride a scooter but there it is. 

Harley riders are always babbling on about freedom. Real freedom is not giving a shit about what other people think. 

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jules said:

Have you and sis spoken recently?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dorado said:

The 650 weighs over 600 lbs. I use a trailer. 

I bought it so my wife could ride with me, as she was having trouble getting on the GS 1200 and a Versys 1000. I liked the Burgman so much I sold the other two off, and now it's my only bike. Been riding over 50 years and never thought I'd ride a scooter but there it is. 

Harley riders are always babbling on about freedom. Real freedom is not giving a shit about what other people think. 

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Yep thats true freedom. Along with  laying in bed in the morning and not having to do anything for anyone or do any specific things unless you want to. All day, or even maybe the next day :)

I was a moto marshall for an 85 mile bicycle event in the sierras last weekend which had two pretty gruesome gravel sections and 9700 feet of climbing. I did single track dirt and totally wrecked tarmac on my 08 BMW 1200RT sport touring bike with street tires on it. I was better at riding the hard terrain than the guys on their adventure bikes. Truly did not care what people thought and rarely do. Its not the equipment, its what you do with it and what it feels like when you do. When my friend andre could not get his leg over his F650 or his Concourse because of his knees, he got a Bergman and loved it.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:40 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Yep thats true freedom. Along with  laying in bed in the morning and not having to do anything for anyone or do any specific things unless you want to. All day, or even maybe the next day :)

I was a moto marshall for an 85 mile bicycle event in the sierras last weekend which had two pretty gruesome gravel sections and 9700 feet of climbing. I did single track dirt and totally wrecked tarmac on my 08 BMW 1200RT sport touring bike with street tires on it. I was better at riding the hard terrain than the guys on their adventure bikes. Truly did not care what people thought and rarely do. Its not the equipment, its what you do with it and what it feels like when you do. When my friend andre could not get his leg over his F650 or his Concourse because of his knees, he got a Bergman and loved it.

I road a Honda 1200 full dress into the woods to be with friends.

My Harley now starts to go sideways on pavement when I get too frisky with my right hand.

I enjoyed riding my girl friend's scooter.

Maybe I was viewed a little differently.

Kiss them gently on the lips.

2 hours ago, hasher said:

I road a Honda 1200 full dress 

Road, rode, potayto, potawto... I guess they don't teach spelling in law school eh?

Just now, Anomaly2 said:

Road, rode, potayto, potayto... I guess they don't teach spelling in law school eh?

No. Nope. Law school isn't about spelling or penmanship.  Are you aiming to be a scrivener?

4 minutes ago, hasher said:

Are you aiming to be a scrivener?

Nah. Just a slow Friday night here...

Btw, your " thread drift, as if you'd notice" line in another thread almost made beer come out my nose... 

1 minute ago, Anomaly2 said:

Nah. Just a slow Friday night here...

Btw, your " thread drift, as if you'd notice" line in another thread almost made beer come out my nose... 

I knew I was useful... I just understand how.

2 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Back from a little mini tour - that bike is out standing in its' field!   Happy 100th Moto Guzzi,  you make a fine bike.

20211013_123351.jpg

Sweet bike! My next acquisition will be a Guzzi. Did you tool around the island or somewhere in the mainland. Do tell…

• Like 1

That pic is from SE Pennsyltucky.  (that's soy,  btw - I don't think we grow any here)   -   I have it stashed in a sound proof bunker near Valley Forge.  It was one of those "I always wanted one of those things." deals that has worked out wonderfully.

Rides. Great.  Power comes on like an ocean wave.  And not a town wave either.  Country.

One day I figured that for about what it cost to rent a bike for a couple weeks you could just BUY something used and go touring,  if you had a place to leave it - and leaving a bike isn't nearly as bad as sticking somebody with a car.   So I've had a mainland bike for the past dozen years or so,  buy one, ride it, sell it on,  get another.   Picked this one up right before the whole covid thing hit,  first I've gotten to ride it.  Put about a thousand miles on,  and enjoyed every one.

• Like 1

So, this isn't really a bikes thread , or maybe it is. I took delivery of online purchase '77 XS650.  Cool bike, some nice touches and a 750 big bore kit.  Face it, I am not going touring or 100 mile freeway rides.  The visuals are all I hope they would be (44 year old bike) and after some health and weather issues I got a couple of short rides in.  The motor is amazing is one of my take aways.  The charging system is not up to snuff and the jetting is hugely rich, burbbling at part throttle 45 mph.  So I spent a night of bike love, adjusted the mechanical regulator and dropped the needles 2 notches to lean out the main jets. A 25 minute ride of mixed county and city roads later I checked the plugs and found a medium tan on the center insulator and found the regulator is charging the battery.

IMGP1560.JPG

• Like 4

Love a good street tracker.  That's really nice.

I'm learning to accept the Sport1200 isn't the highway inhaler the FJR was.

But yeah,  the MOTOR is the heart of the Motorcycle and riding a good one - with power delivery and general feedback behavior you can use to enjoy the ride - it makes all the difference.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

But yeah,  the MOTOR is the heart of the Motorcycle and riding a good one - with power delivery and general feedback behavior you can use to enjoy the ride - it makes all the difference.

Lower "superbike"  bars coming soon.  1 inch rise v 5 inch rise.

• Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Not superbike fast but the pull 3k to 5k is fun.  Redline about 7500 but I don't think I ever want to wind it that  high.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Lower "superbike"  bars coming soon.  1 inch rise v 5 inch rise.

Don't like the sound of that - you shouldn't be hunched over on a bike like that.

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Don't like the sound of that - you shouldn't be hunched over on a bike like that.

Can only mount it up and see.  I Think "hunched" would be clip ons or drag bars.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Can only mount it up and see.  I Think "hunched" would be clip ons or drag bars.

2 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Yeah,  that depends on the rider's own geometry more than a little.  Long arms don't want all that rise.

At 65mph I am really pulling my self forward against the wind. The last 60k miles I have ridden were on these two bikes so I have developed a taste for a touch of forward stance.  If I don't like the new bars ($25 w/shipping) I can go another direction.

See the source imageSee the source image

On 10/21/2021 at 9:15 PM, Great Red Shark said:

Sad news,  Wes Cooley passed away

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/rip-superbike-racer-wes-cooley/

He was the Grand Marshall at Vintagefest in 2017.  

That sucks as he was a hero of mine.

Remember him at Laconia NH driving a Pop's Yoshimura GS1000 superbike in the 1980s.

One year he was leading by over half a lap with 3 to go.  But Wes would never back off.

Came out the last corner onto the straightaway flat out and clipped the wall in front of the grandstand at speed shattering the left cover and killing the motor. Cost him the race and NOBODY was in his league that day.

Everyone swooned for those garish green Kawasaki Eddie Lawson bikes, but Wes could out drive him with ease on his Suzuki.

Ride On brother!

https://advrider.com/rip-ama-superbike-champ-wester-wes-cooley/

• Like 1

Most people talk about them. 

My boss man asked me what I paid.  I said an ungodly sum.

Bikes can be cheap and good.

My 350 Honda was fun.  My 550 Honda was underpowered.  ...

Riding a motorcycle definitely improves my prayer life.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:15 AM, Wetabehindtheears said:

Picked up this ‘15 this weekend. 17k miles and many farkles. Gonna work on getting it tagged so I can take advantage of the last of the good weather here before winter sets in. I have lusted after one for a long time.

BB4AAD2F-57DF-46ED-9A91-FACE6EFE63B8.jpeg

ADD1DE6B-169F-40A8-AECF-0451428D7D0F.jpeg

Talked with a CHP moto at length about this bike. He's a long time moto and he's ridden everything from the Kawi 1000's, HD's (which he says are just garbage) and then all the BMW's especially the 1100/1150RT's, the next gen 1200's and then this newer wethead 1250. Says this bike is by far the best one yet. He especially likes the ESA where he can run the suspension soft on bumpy roads and then harden it up for higher speeds. BMW RT's are a very good value right now. Nice bike! Like the color.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, hasher said:

Bikes can be cheap and good.

I've been saying for years that if modern Ninja bikes were cars they'd be Lambo's and Ferrari's - the quality & detail is comparable but they cost less than the sales tax on one of the 4 wheel equivalents.

They are huge bargains.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:22 PM, Great Red Shark said:

Yeah,  that depends on the rider's own geometry more than a little.  Long arms don't want all that rise.

Did the change today.

20211027_173252.jpg

18 minutes ago, herbie verstinx said:

Are you in Australia? 

18 minutes ago, herbie verstinx said:

Are you in Australia? 

Are you?

How the fuck does that happen?

How the fuck does that happen?

First, you commit a crime in London. Then you take a long boat ride. When you disembark and you hear everyone ending their nouns with the letter "Y", well there you are. 

• Like 1