Here is the thing Chesapeake, cruisers are SO dime-a-dozen on the used market FOR A REASON.

Handling, suspension, comfort over distance, performance, ability to carry a payload, weather protection - all less-than-optimal. A classic case of style over substance, and I think they suck. Just my opinion. (but the, I've only been a keen motorcyclist since 1978 and have only crossed a couple continents on them )

The big appeal of Cruisers is: A) they look like Harleys, and B) Low seat heights.

My contention is that if you want a Harley, then buy a Harley already. If you shop carefully you CAN get a good bike at a decent (if not great) price with the H-D label on it and you'll get most of your money back if/when you decide you want more performance.

If it's just the low seat height that brings you to cruisers, then learn how to ride properly and don't skip leg day at the gym.

I see more sad old neglected cruisers than any other style of bike - left out back behind the garage, forgotten in the parking garage, etc - their riders frequently get bored with the shit handling and lack of a comfortable position for riding further than the neighborhood bar.

Now, if you LIKE the styling of the off-the-shelf 'chopper' types ( like the Honda Fury, or all that garbage from the likes of Big Dog , etc) then I got nothing to say - you are probably too busy campaigning for Trump.

I like all bikes, even sport bikes. I have a few Harleys, and a buncha dirt bikes in the garage right now. To me, a decently kitted cruiser is a great all around bike. I like the adventure bikes, too - but, not for 600 mile days. Sport bikes are fun 30 minutes at a time. My dirt bikes beat the stink outta me (might it be me?) Like what ya like - that's what individual choice is all about. Around here? I see more busted/beat to stink busaninjayzzrs dead with less than 20K on the clock than I do the more practical to ride machines.

I liked the big Triumph simply for its grunt. It was too big and heavy for a skinny bastidge like me to wrestle around - (5'11"/175lbs). My buddy that owns it is a big fella at about 6'5" and 270 who makes a HD bagger look like a minibike. The Rocket fits him perfectly, hence my suggestion for the fella that felt cramped on the other bikes.

Where you live? Yeah - I get it: No weather, ya can't go more than an hour or so in any direction, so you just don't have the conditions that make a cruiser practical. I've got buddies in K-bay, and my cousin is up by the north shore near Mokuleia, and I've loved riding over there. My buddy liked to race me from Pearl over the H3 over what is it, the Pali hiway? (61?) back to Pearl. On the rented bike I had, the floorboards got sharpened a little bit.

Y'all have got a gorgeous place to ride - great fun except for the gawking tourists always tryin' to take ya out. Cheers!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a cool motorcycle picture. Love the look on the kids face.

I’m 1200 miles into a whim trip that may run over 3000 miles in the next week.  Left Mars Hill NC on Thursday afternoon. Rode to Jackson Ms to visit an old friend for the weekend. We rode part of th

Posted Images

Your new neighbor? :D

Paul T

Shortly after I got my Honda Aero, my neighbor bought a 900 Vulcan. He acts so much like that dude in the video it's uncanny. Never rides anywhere but around the block but tries so hard to act like a biker, he's a douche BTW.....

Guest Dabnis

Your new neighbor? :D

Paul T

Shortly after I got my Honda Aero, my neighbor bought a 900 Vulcan. He acts so much like that dude in the video it's uncanny. Never rides anywhere but around the block but tries so hard to act like a biker, he's a douche BTW.....

Owning your own home can have drawbacks :(

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

One of my son in laws got a ticket for going 85 in a 55 MPH zone. He told me it wasn't his fault, my daughter told him to

"Hurry home" said the police were "picking" on him. Cost hm $1,500 in lawyer's fees to keep his license. I don't think it

was his first rodeo. For him it is ALWAYS "Not my fault"

Paul T

Dude, I look like a bear on a bicycle when I'm on a Goldwing :mellow:

You need to look at that new refigerator-sized Triumph cruiser then... I'm 5'11, and I can barely straddle that thing.

Thast my issue with most bikes, I'm 6'1" with a 33 inseam so I feel cramped on most rides. It took a few control/ seat changes for me to be comfortable during long rides on my Honda. The Harley fits me better but still slighlty cramped, also it sits so low that my legs are almost 90 degrees at a stop.

I'm riding to Daytona Bike Week next week and have a short list of bikes I would like to test ride.

Ha, I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, on my r1 I look like a spider fucking a bb...

no way a Triumph does 144mph. unless its being towed by a Ferarri....

Penton, JFC that must be the first time in decades I have heard that name.

For years I had a Can-Am, 72 or 73 vintage(perhaps only a few years newer than the Penton marque. 175 cc that would stomp 400s, rode the deserts around El Paso and Yuma.

Guest Dabnis

Penton, JFC that must be the first time in decades I have heard that name.

For years I had a Can-Am, 72 or 73 vintage(perhaps only a few years newer than the Penton marque. 175 cc that would stomp 400s, rode the deserts around El Paso and Yuma.

"Pentons"? Reminds me of my 1970 360 AJS, with its upside down shift pattern & right side shift lever:

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Motorcycles/scan00032_zpsc757171b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+AJS+Stormer+motorcycles&biw=1097&bih=534&tbm=isch&imgil=VOeWARGPFijEQM%253A%253BxLoBEZ4iSUQTzM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Farchive.classic-motorbikes.net%25252Fgallery~ajs-stormer-gallery&source=iu&pf=m&fir=VOeWARGPFijEQM%253A%252CxLoBEZ4iSUQTzM%252C_&usg=__mDG8TpaZTu3va7V1UX6kIVpqlAU%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjn3tPkp6fLAhVJ2mMKHZ72AF8QyjcILw&ei=6aTZVqfGAsm0jwOe7YP4BQ#imgrc=VOeWARGPFijEQM%3A

In 1975 I bought a 400 KTM, oh my, it was a handful, with me weighing all of 155 pounds. In our riding club we had Pentons, Bultacos,

Rickman framed specials, CZ's, Maicos, DKW's, Montessa's, Ossa's, BSA 4 stroke Victors, & more.

My best bike was a 400 Husky 2 stroke, pulled like a freight train:

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Motorcycles/scan00012_zps4b11959b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Good memories of 30 years of riding.

Paul T

Seeing those old AJS bikes with those skinny little chambers makes me wonder how potent they could have been with modern porting and expansion chamers.

Guest Dabnis

Seeing those old AJS bikes with those skinny little chambers makes me wonder how potent they could have been with modern porting and expansion chamers.

Mine handled pretty well, for the time, but the engine wasn't all that strong, by comparison. I think it was made by Villiers, way back in time.

Some of our club members had the same bike, & put aftermarket pipes on them, not sure if they were much faster? I think the porting

was pretty mild, it pulled down low pretty well, after I put a Mikuni carb on it. IIRC, some teams tried to race them competitively in

Moto cross, but didn't last long.

I forgot to mention Zundapp's, Greeve's, & the primo bike, Husky's with their red & chrome steel tanks, the bikes to lust for. I wonder if

many here remember "Points"?

Paul T

• 2 weeks later...

Round Two of World Superbikes - Thailand, this past weekend. Rea and Sykes' Kawasakis for the wins, Nicky carded a DNF (mechanical) and a fifth.

The Hondas are going to have to pick up the pace if they want to be relevant this year, but I doubt anyone it going to beat the green bikes.

Some pics of my trip to Daytona.

1914545_884076385045365_5804358932236250

1918608_884076761711994_1560157235089372

10460718_884076361712034_917510373609842

1796473_884076341712036_3942032349404923

12832401_884076311712039_674428550698551

It was over 1100 mi in 5 days. I love test riding all the different bikes. It was my third year and I will go every year till I can't ride anymore.

1100 miles in five days ? Whoa....that's over 200 miles a day ! How do you do it ? You guys must be hardcore !

( yes, I'm kidding )

Looks like a good vacation, but anything less than 400 miles a day is just a nice little joyride if the weather is decent.

Conversation with a biker the other weekend...

"Where you from?"

"Canberra"

"When did you arrive?"

"20 minutes ago"

"Staying around here?"

"Nah.. Heading back now"

That was a 760km day ride! (472 mile)

1100 miles in five days ? Whoa....that's over 200 miles a day ! How do you do it ? You guys must be hardcore !

( yes, I'm kidding )

Looks like a good vacation, but anything less than 400 miles a day is just a nice little joyride if the weather is decent.

Its 400 miles to Daytona from here, I didn't do much riding, except when I was test riding when I was there. There were so many bikes there it made traffic unbearable.

Dorado - Lapping Oahu is good for about 100 miles, so it's just a matter of how many times you want to go around !

Best days for me have been 875 out west and 770 on the East coast (much harder, in the congested NE corridor) - but yeah, those are long-ish days in the saddle, and here - well, riding is mostly just a driving alternative - hence the touring rig stashed in a secret underground bunker for fly-n-ride vacations.

no way a Triumph does 144mph. unless its being towed by a Ferarri....

Yeah, these aren't The Wild Bunch Triumph's anymore. The Daytona's have been a line of 140HP+ beasts for 15yrs. Hell even the Rocket III can break 150mph if you can hang on.

Daytona 1991, 2-smokers, tits, coke & Drakkar all the rage.

41RZ_zpsbc5kyfhj.jpg

You shouldn't post pics that glorify and encourage smoking... :rolleyes:

Daytona 1991, 2-smokers, tits, coke & Drakkar all the rage.

41RZ_zpsbc5kyfhj.jpg

You shouldn't post pics that glorify and encourage smoking... :rolleyes:

I still get a hardon smelling burnt Castrol.

Kids today....my blue haze came from a Yammahammer not a pipe full of water.

It's funny, I can place hundreds of car and motorcycle nomenclature with pretty good fidelity, but the Harley model alphabet soup never took root in the least.

I can tell a knucklehead from an iron head easily enough, but F-anything just makes my eyes glaze over.

MotoGP in the Desert this weekend, first 3 practice sessions have finished - Iannone and Dovi have their Ducs at 1st and 4th in the running order with Lorenzo and Marquez between and Maverick's Suzuki right behind, followed by Dani and the Doc.

Yes, you read that right, a Suzuki ahead of a factory Honda and Yamaha. In MotoGP. Boom. Let's hope the kid can stay competitive - this is an unusual track.

Americans ? Nah, there's no Americans in MotoGP....

Qualifying in Qatar -

Jorge, Marc,and Mav on the front row,

followed by Andrea, the Doc, the Other Andrea,

Dani, Hector, and Pol

So that's:

Yamaha-Honda-Suzuki-

Ducati-Yamaha-Ducati

Honda-Ducati-Yamaha mix up at front.

Top native-engilsh speaker Cal Crutchlow next at 10th on the order aboard a Honda.

Top Aprillia is 17th, ouch.

Stories of the Opener: Yamaha just re-signed The Doc for 2 more years, Rossi and Jorge still bitching at each other(team-mates...), Everybody is getting used to the new Michelins - but nobody more so than Lorenzo, and that kid named Maverick just put a SUZUKI on the front row for the first time in ? years ?! Also, lots of Duc up top of the order - where will they be at the end ?

It's funny, I can place hundreds of car and motorcycle nomenclature with pretty good fidelity, but the Harley model alphabet soup never took root in the least.

I can tell a knucklehead from an iron head easily enough, but F-anything just makes my eyes glaze over.

MotoGP in the Desert this weekend, first 3 practice sessions have finished - Iannone and Dovi have their Ducs at 1st and 4th in the running order with Lorenzo and Marquez between and Maverick's Suzuki right behind, followed by Dani and the Doc.

Yes, you read that right, a Suzuki ahead of a factory Honda and Yamaha. In MotoGP. Boom. Let's hope the kid can stay competitive - this is an unusual track.

I'm with ya on the fxrlyol.

I'm worse as a lifelong hd dissenter, it's either a sportster, a soft tail, a fat boy or a road glide/ or tractor for short/

Qualifying in Qatar -

Jorge, Marc,and Mav on the front row,

followed by Andrea, the Doc, the Other Andrea,

Dani, Hector, and Pol

So that's:

Yamaha-Honda-Suzuki-

Ducati-Yamaha-Ducati

Honda-Ducati-Yamaha mix up at front.

Top native-engilsh speaker Cal Crutchlow next at 10th on the order aboard a Honda.

Top Aprillia is 17th, ouch.

Stories of the Opener: Yamaha just re-signed The Doc for 2 more years, Rossi and Jorge still bitching at each other(team-mates...), Everybody is getting used to the new Michelins - but nobody more so than Lorenzo, and that kid named Maverick just put a SUZUKI on the front row for the first time in ? years ?! Also, lots of Duc up top of the order - where will they be at the end ?

duc? On top or in the paddock-

Picking up right about where we left off Last year, Lorenzo holeshot, toyed with the Ducs and then checked out. Damn that Spanish guy is fast on his Yamaha.

The Doc didn't make it on the box, finishing behind Dovi and Marquez, and ahead of Dani, Mav and Pol - so that's:

Yamaha - Ducati - Honda - Yamaha - Honda - SUZUKI - Yamaha - Yamaha, Duc,Duc, Suzuki Duc, Aprilia (13th) Honda, Honda

the HD alphabet soup is confusing - This is what my FXRT looked like before a young woman turned left into us last summer:

http://www.wildwestcycle.com/br_fxrtstock.jpg/14C59134-42C0-49CD-918E-D7D425121719+

the HD alphabet soup is confusing - This is what my FXRT looked like before a young woman turned left into us last summer:

http://www.wildwestcycle.com/br_fxrtstock.jpg/14C59134-42C0-49CD-918E-D7D425121719+

So you are showing that she couldn't see it then .......

I can tell a knucklehead from an iron head easily enough, but F-anything just makes my eyes glaze over.....

I can tell a knucklehead from an iron head easily enough, but F-anything just makes my eyes glaze over.....

Bet you would love to own a classic muscle car. Hypocracy and ignorance is rampant around here.

10603700_10201415528548167_3690425394202

Hey!

I still own a Honda.... <_<

Cause no one will buy it from me. :(

Guest Dabnis

Bet you would love to own a classic muscle car. Hypocracy and ignorance is rampant around here.

Don't know much about Harleys, only what I see & read about. Many I see on the road sound very loud.

The add was informative, but perhaps a bit of a put down to Harley owner owners, who do seem to

be a bit loyal to their brand?

Don't know much about Harleys, only what I see & read about. Many I see on the road sound very loud.

The add was informative, but perhaps a bit of a put down to Harley owner owners, who do seem to

Thats the main cause of Harleyenvitis.

Guest Dabnis

Thats the main cause of Harleyenvitis.

Seems to be a lot of them out there, with many of their owners dressed in some sort of uniform.

Every year we have about 50,000 of them come through our Town. It is quite interesting:

http://www.roadshowsreno.com/sv_fall.php

And better yet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+street+vibrations&biw=1097&bih=534&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6iNGIxdnLAhXEKGMKHb5JBC4Q7AkIMg

Some wear their hats on backwards:

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+street+vibrations&biw=1097&bih=534&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6iNGIxdnLAhXEKGMKHb5JBC4Q7AkIMg#imgrc=WzrqVYWKsZeEcM%3A

I like bla,bla,bla... Anything but those damn annoying yamahahas.... ;-)

Right'o, just to p1ss you orf then :-)

1200%20Fiets_zps5kvl4lhz.jpg

This is one of the "good ones" - IMHO. It's an honest machine, that's not trying to emulate something else. The UJM is a great platform for whatever you wanta use it for - corner carving, modest touring, stoplight drags. The full on sport bikes are great fun for track days, but, I'm 50 years old now, and after about 1.5 hours, I gotta get off the damn things. 4th gear wheelies are fun and all, but, I can't heal like I used to...

I do miss my old V65 Sabre sometimes, and the old CB360 I literally rode the wheels off.

Meanwhile, for those NOT fixated with cocks... ( not that we are judging you Woody )

MotoGP races this weekend in Argentina, World Superbike is at Aragon (Spain) and MV Augusta has declared bankruptcy (anyone surprised ?) - maybe Harley can buy them again and cost-average their last money-pit of an investment downwards ?

4th gear wheelie on an FJ12 ? I highly doubt that - and I've ridden the FJ and own and FJR.

BTW, no real motorcyclist has a serious objection to 'The Motor Company' ( H-D ) - it's just the mindless lock-step adherents that are so cartoonish, and the jack-offs that make a annoying racket in their attempt at validation that are the butt of the joke.

If you don't solely rode from bar-to-bar, rap the throttle at stop-signs like your bike can't idle, or wear the little Biker-Barbie outfits then you really shouldn't take offense - real riders know it's the singer, not the song.

Meanwhile, for those NOT fixated with cocks... ( not that we are judging you Woody )

MotoGP races this weekend in Argentina, World Superbike is at Aragon (Spain) and MV Augusta has declared bankruptcy (anyone surprised ?) - maybe Harley can buy them again and cost-average their last money-pit of an investment downwards ?

4th gear wheelie on an FJ12 ? I highly doubt that - and I've ridden the FJ and own and FJR.

BTW, no real motorcyclist has a serious objection to 'The Motor Company' ( H-D ) - it's just the mindless lock-step adherents that are so cartoonish, and the jack-offs that make a annoying racket in their attempt at validation that are the butt of the joke.

If you don't solely rode from bar-to-bar, rap the throttle at stop-signs like your bike can't idle, or wear the little Biker-Barbie outfits then you really shouldn't take offense - real riders know it's the singer, not the song.

No sir - sorry, I understand how it sounded like that. 4th gear wheelies on a Busa are as easy as hittin' the front brake to compress the suspension and hittin' the gas as it rebounds - that thing's got simply stupid power, especially one that's been breathed on.

HD & MV Augusta was something that should've never happened - a marriage w/Ducati or even freakin' Honda or the modern Triumph would've been better for all.

I don't follow MotoGP very closely - which factory's favored to win?

The husband either owns a Spuzucki, or a Yamahaha! :lol:

My last ride. And contrary to what a lot of people think, also the most reliable. :blink:

Sublime power, economical, and could handle as well as most sports bikes.

The suspension was infinitely adjustable, you could tune it from highway touring mode to twisty road mode in a minute by the side of the road.

It really opened my eyes to what a difference a few mm in ride height and damping and preload could do to changing the dynamics.

Still going strong 10 years later!

MRD_07_2005_Ducati_ST4S.jpg.1659521_zpsn

HILDO vs, YAMASUKI

Because occasionally squids need to be schooled...

https://youtu.be/vjFeC7g6_40

Low end torque, interesting ankle eater on the Harley primary drive, no shroud. Instant tourniquet.

They talk funny.

Love that video. Tractor power!!!

Yeah - the whole ST family were really nice bikes. I had a navy blue ST4 for a couple years. Easiest bike to ride fast I've ever had. Agree on the tunability, utility and comfort - but only economical compared to other Ducs !

One that I hope enters my garage sometime soon is the M900 Monster. That machine just begs to be ridden hard. The STs were great - and ergonomically arranged so that 400 mile days were actually pleasant!

First Practice in Argentina, Dovi has his Duc on top of the time sheets - followed by Marquez ( Factory Honda), Yonny Hernandez on a satellite Ducati, BOTH Suzukis, then The Doc and Dani.

In World Superbike, Sykes is leading the practice times to nobody's surprise with Davies Ducati close behind at they get underway in Aragon.

Argentina seems to suit the Hondas - Marc and Dani are 1-2 in the second session with Miller and Crutchlow 4 & 5 ( on Satellite Hondas) Mav's keeping it interesting with the Suzuki hanging tough in that 3rd spot, Rossi 7th....Lorenzo....14th??? something must have fallen off his bike.

Davies doubled on his Duc in Spain - followed by the Kwacks, Nicky a 6th, and DNF (mechanical), meanwhile in MotoGP the Argentine track has proved too hard on the Michelin tires and everyone will be running the 'safety' tire for today's race - after one of them delaminated and caused a satellite Ducati to take a parts-shedding tumble. The Doc is on the front row, but everyone will only have the morning practice ( extended to a half-hour) to figure out the new shoes.

Yesterday was the anniversary of Argentina's short-lived invasion of the Falklands...

Yes. Ducati 860? Had one. Formerly owned/raced by an Alfa mechanic. Oversized tank, barely legal pipes Imola cams. Power started at about 3k and was a torrent from there up. Just below that on the DC beltway, it'd load up and blow 3 ft. flames out of the pipes. Kept the tailgaters off.

If it has the Ducati electronic ignition, do not buy it. Mine failed and there was only one replacement at the time - made by Lucas. Cost $1000.00 back in '85.

I traded it for an XS850 we'd cafe'd out. That pig couldn't turn a corner but at least it was reliable.

quote name="WarBird" post="5135711" timestamp="1448056503"]

https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/mcy/5322164977.html

Just found this. Am I foolish to pursue it?

00909_7uazzXPZAYc_600x450.jpg

Yes. Ducati 860? Had one. Formerly owned/raced by an Alfa mechanic. Oversized tank, barely legal pipes Imola cams. Power started at about 3k and was a torrent from there up. Just below that on the DC beltway, it'd load up and blow 3 ft. flames out of the pipes. Kept the tailgaters off.

If it has the Ducati electronic ignition, do not buy it. Mine failed and there was only one replacement at the time - made by Lucas. Cost $1000.00 back in '85.

I traded it for an XS850 we'd cafe'd out. That pig couldn't turn a corner but at least it was reliable.

quote name="WarBird" post="5135711" timestamp="1448056503"]

https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/mcy/5322164977.html

Just found this. Am I foolish to pursue it?

00909_7uazzXPZAYc_600x450.jpg

Oh as a side note - one of my hippydippy lib housemates said it looked like the kind of bike the Nazis rode down people with in WW2 ...

Sweet Bevel-drive. Those Black & Golds are collector's items - to be sure. But not EVER exactly what you'd call a daily-driver. Shop newer ( much newer) if you want to ride, not wrench.

Goddam hippies. Looks NOTHING LIKE a boxer-motored BMW. Nevermind that Ducati was founded after the war (literally - in 1946, to make....radios !) - it's black, therefore....Nazis... ugh.

Marquez won the Argentine crash-fest, Rossi inherited second and Dani third - when one Andrea took out the other Andrea in the final corner - the factory Ducs went from a certain 2-3 finish to on the deck when Iannone tried to pass Dovi and plowed into him instead ( "Nice Work, Boys " ) one has to think the team owner will be less than impressed with that.

Mav was having a good day - running third until he tossed it 3 laps from the end, Crutchlow managed to crash twice in the same race and Dovi limped in at 13th. Rossi and Marquez were having a fine battle until the mandated bike-swap (due to tire wear) and coming out the pits Rossi got balked by Rabat, and then just never did seem to have the same pace on the back up machine.

Back to Woody's facebooking of shirtless men...not that there is anything wrong with that...

moto-bike-crash-o.gif

Damn, those bicycle riders are really a traffic hazard, can't keep up with traffic, should be banned from paved roads.

Must be some retarded shit fight going on in PA to have you change your screen name eh Dabs?

Guest Dabnis

moto-bike-crash-o.gif

Damn, those bicycle riders are really a traffic hazard, can't keep up with traffic, should be banned from paved roads.

Must be some retarded shit fight going on in PA to have you change your screen name eh Dabs?

Not that am aware of, they all love me over there. I had the below avatar, related to trolling, over at the other forum,

but they made me take it down, before they permanently banned me.. I added text to this one, but then the SA

forum system wouldn't accept it, I suspect me not knowing what I am doing, may be the problem.

Changing my user name & avatar was just a small attempt at a little fun, nothing more, for me, anyway.

I am crushed when they accuse me of "trolling", when all I am trying to do is engage in meaningful, polite &

respectful discussions. :(

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Commercial%20Salmon%20Troller/Alpine%20-%20Copy_zpssnbwoskr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0