Are Illegal Immigrants Also The People?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From my life at the factory POV (40 YEARS)  They our allowed to stay because they can be exploited and will endure hard working conditions that people with more choices will avoid  If they b

The laws are enforced for the brown skinned workers, they are imprisoned early and often. The laws aren't enforced for the American hirers. They continue to hire. And yes, the agricultural b

Stipulating to your points, Dawg, we still oughta remember the historical mistakes that we and others have made, and in so doing, think about the circumstances and decisions that led up to those mista

Posted Images

SCOTUS considers adjustment of status for immigrants

Sanchez v. Mayorkas, scheduled for oral argument on Monday, focuses on whether noncitizens who have been granted humanitarian relief from deportation can seek lawful permanent residency in the United States, through a process known as “adjustment of status,” without first leaving the country. Or must they depart the U.S. and complete their applications for permanent status while abroad?

The statutory question presented is whether noncitizens certified by the government for the humanitarian relief program known as Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, have been “admitted” to the United States, as required by the adjustment-of-status statute. Jose Sanchez and Sonia Gonzalez, a married couple from El Salvador who have lived in the United States for decades, argue that the specific provision regarding adjustment of status for those granted TPS demonstrates Congress’ intent to treat them as “admitted” for this purpose. The government rejects that interpretation, insisting that the general adjustment-of-status requirements apply.

This question has split the circuits and holds profound consequences for tens of thousands of people: those holding TPS, their families, neighbors and employers. Under the TPS program, certain foreign nationals are permitted to remain in the United States if their country of citizenship is deemed to be in crisis as a result of armed conflict or a natural disaster. Twelve countries currently have that designation. The Biden administration has adopted the same approach as the Trump administration, advancing a statutory interpretation that would render almost all TPS holders ineligible to adjust their status to lawful permanent residents (colloquially known as green card holders). From an institutional perspective, the government’s argument is somewhat counter-intuitive: In a statute that undisputedly authorizes executive discretion to alleviate hardship in the immigration process, the government argues that it should not be allowed to exercise discretion at all to noncitizens present for humanitarian reasons.

Access to the adjustment-of-status process in the U.S. is a lifeline for many noncitizens. Leaving the U.S. to accomplish a status change costs money and, because the immigration bureaucracy often moves slowly, can jeopardize employment and strain families. Moreover, the noncitizens’ location outside the U.S. may limit their ability to challenge government action should an unforeseen legal issue arise.

Most importantly, noncitizens may be barred from reentry for up to 10 years. In 1996, six years after creating the TPS program, Congress passed a law penalizing noncitizens unlawfully present in the U.S.: More than 180 days of unlawful presence leads to a three-year bar on returning; more than 365 days of unlawful presence results in a 10-year bar. These bars take effect once the noncitizen leaves the country. As a consequence, a noncitizen seeking a green card (often based on marriage to a U.S. citizen) may not be permitted to rejoin her U.S. family for 10 years. Permission to adjust status within the U.S. avoids this result.

Sanchez and Gonzalez came to the U.S. from El Salvador without authorization in the 1990s. They received protection after the U.S. designated El Salvador for TPS in 2001 in the wake of devastating earthquakes, and they have maintained TPS status for 20 years. In 2006, Sanchez’s employer filed an immigration-visa petition for Sanchez as a skilled worker. Immigration officials approved this petition as well as a derivative petition for Gonzalez. The government, however, denied the couple’s later application to adjust to lawful-permanent-resident status. Immigration officials ruled that their original unauthorized entry disqualified them from consideration for a discretionary grant of adjustment of status. Accordingly, the only way for Sanchez and Gonzalez to obtain green cards would be to leave the U.S. and then apply to return. But they would be barred from reentry for 10 years because they were in the U.S. without authorization for more than 365 days.

The administration's position may be right as far as exactly what the law says, I don't know.

The bolded part seems yugely significant to me. His employer and our government called him a skilled worker. His presence benefits all of us and sending him back for 10 years so he can ask to come back is idiotic and wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

If you're here illegally, you are NOT a f'ng member of the American We The People Club. You are still a member of the Mexican, Guatemalen, Honduran, El Salvadorean, Ecuadorian, Cuban & Venezuelan We The People Club.

You wanna get invited to join our Club? Then follow our fuking rules and wait in line like a good new wannabe citizen should do. Do it the wrong way? Then fuk off.....and go back home. 

Jfc but WHAT is so frickin difficult here to understand?.....

The individual who was the subject of the topic case that started this thread was brought here at age 4. He grew up here, worked here, and doesn't know anyone in, nor speak the language of, his "home" country. Seems more American than anything else to me.

12 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

The individual who was the subject of the topic case that started this thread was brought here at age 4. He grew up here, worked here, and doesn't know anyone in, nor speak the language of, his "home" country. Seems more American than anything else to me.

But they are the exception, not the rule.  What do you do with the other 13 million lawbreakers out there?  

Here, I'll make it more clear...... " if you came here of your own free will as an adult 18 or older - and broke the law by sneaking into the country or deliberately overstaying your visa - then you are not "The People".   As ricky said, get the fuck in one of the "Aspire to be We The People" lines and follow the rules and you will be welcomed with open arms.  

6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I think if by some accident of nature, Mexico was Sweden, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

If you shared a border with Sweden, you'd have to put in barriers to stop people escaping.

42 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I think if by some accident of nature, Mexico was Sweden, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

AS long as it was just the SWE bikini volleyball team and we could keep out all the weird Swedish dudes, you'd be correct.

We the  people, have with minor exceptions always been the people. Regardless of nationality,color. religion. and foul smelling food.

7 hours ago, Burning Man said:

But they are the exception, not the rule.  What do you do with the other 13 million lawbreakers out there?  

Here, I'll make it more clear...... " if you came here of your own free will as an adult 18 or older - and broke the law by sneaking into the country or deliberately overstaying your visa - then you are not "The People".   As ricky said, get the fuck in one of the "Aspire to be We The People" lines and follow the rules and you will be welcomed with open arms.  

I suspect we agree about those people. As I said years ago,

On 7/22/2016 at 7:27 AM, Excoded Tom said:

Visitors are not "the people" because they lack the "substantial connection" mentioned by our courts.

But that doesn't mean the exceptions don't exist. So what do you do about those exceptions? Aliens who have the "substantial connection" that makes them part of "the people" do exist.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 5:39 PM, Burning Man said:

Still no.

OK, you're still wrong under the law, but how about legal immigrants?

Padma Danturty has been a legal resident of the U.S. since she was 8 months old. Had she come to the country illegally, her future here would likely be more secure.

That's because the 18-year-old does not qualify for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, the Obama-era policy that protects individuals from deportation if they came to the U.S. unlawfully as children through no fault of their own. Recipients are colloquially referred to as "Dreamers."

But Danturty did not come here illegally. She is instead one of about 200,000 "Documented Dreamers," an obscure group of individuals who were brought to the U.S. legally with their parents yet face expulsion if they are unable to obtain a green card or visa by the time they turn 21 years old. In her case, she faces self-deportation to India.

"I have no memory of it," she says. "I can barely speak my native language, so it would be really hard to communicate. I don't know what I would do exactly."

Seems like part of The People to me.

Court Says Panicdemic Can No Longer Justify Immediate Expulsion of Migrant Families

"The Court is not convinced that the transmission of COVID-19 during border processing cannot be significantly mitigated." The Biden administration can't keep expelling migrant families under the banner of pandemic precaution, a federal court says.

On Thursday, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia struck down the administration's interpretation of a public health rule known as Title 42, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had declared as grounds for banning border crossings and immediately expelling anyone caught entering the country.

With "the wide availability of testing, vaccines, and other minimization measures, the Court is not convinced that the transmission of COVID-19 during border processing cannot be significantly mitigated," the new ruling says.

Title 42–based immediate expulsions—which the CDC said were a necessary public health measure during the COVID-19 panicdemic—were started under former President Donald Trump and extended and ramped up under President Joe Biden.

I thought Biden was very busy reversing, not expanding, Trump's actions?

3 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

I hear the Gov. of texas is lining up cars, with keys in them so illegals have cars to drive when they get here

Texas Gov. Abbott sends miles of cars along border 

Texas Department of Safety vehicles line up along the bank of the Rio Grande near an encampment of migrants, many from Haiti, near the Del Rio International Bridge, Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021, in Del Rio, Texas.

Seems like it would be more effective to line them up end for end if you are trying to create a barrier.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Venom said:

No, looks more like it was designed to herd them in or possibly as safety measures to slow them down in the event of stampede. 

ahhh, never knew humans could be herded or create a stampede? 

quality choice of words  asshole

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Venom said:

No, looks more like it was designed to herd them in or possibly as safety measures to slow them down in the event of stampede. 

End for end, less cars for a given length, same "barrier" effectiveness. but then, considering who ordered it.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 4:52 AM, Excoded Tom said:

Court Says Panicdemic Can No Longer Justify Immediate Expulsion of Migrant Families

I thought Biden was very busy reversing, not expanding, Trump's actions?

That court's order almost went into effect before being reversed by the appeals court.

Federal appeals court preserves administration’s ability to use Title 42 to expel migrant families

A federal court has moved to preserve the Biden administration’s ability to use a Trump-era public health order to expel migrant families arriving at the southern border.

“If the Biden administration really wants to treat asylum seekers humanely, it should end this lawless policy now and withdraw its appeal,” American Civil Liberties Union attorney Lee Gelernt, the lead lawyer in the group’s Title 42 challenge, said Thursday. “We will continue fighting to end this illegal policy.”

Thursday’s move is a major blow to the ACLU, human rights groups, immigration advocates and others who have called the use of Title 42 unlawful, inhumane and not justified by public health. The ACLU has led the legal challenge pressing the Biden administration to stop using the public health authority to expel migrants.

• 2 weeks later...

Biden, Like Trump, Uses the Panicdemic To Expel Migrants

Critics say the policy violates longstanding asylum legislation and international frameworks protecting the rights of migrants. U.S. asylum law "guarantees [migrants] the right to apply at any port of entry," says Cato Institute immigration analyst David J. Bier. Title 42's immediate expulsion authority means migrants can't present their cases.

In early March 2020, the Associated Press reported, Martin Cetron, head of the CDC's Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, refused to support the order, saying it was unlikely to slow the spread of COVID-19. The A.P. also reported that the idea of sealing the border originated with Trump adviser Stephen Miller, an anti-immigration hardliner.

The Biden administration nevertheless has maintained the policy under the guise of fighting COVID-19. "There are ways to protect public safety without turning away vulnerable families fleeing unspeakable horror," insisted Paola Luisi of the National Domestic Workers Alliance in a statement. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees offered a rare public criticism of U.S. border policy, noting that many other countries had enacted policies "to simultaneously protect both public health and the right to seek asylum."

Title 42 expulsions are a cruel and indiscriminate panicdemic mitigation measure. An administration avowedly committed to "following the science" and treating migrants humanely should not support such a policy.

As an article above noted, Biden is achieving even more than Trump when it comes to making America great in this way.

Title 42–based immediate expulsions—which the CDC said were a necessary public health measure during the COVID-19 pandemic—were started under former President Donald Trump and extended and ramped up under President Joe Biden. ("The Biden administration is on target to approach a historical fiscal-year record for apprehending migrants on the U.S./Mexico border," noted Reason's Brian Doherty yesterday. "We are likely to have seen 1.64 million such apprehensions by this month's end of fiscal 2021, even as opponents absurdly accuse the president of pursuing 'open borders' policies.")

On 9/25/2021 at 3:04 PM, bstrdsonofbtl said:

"+ Following in Trump’s footsteps, Biden is using Title 42 to expel asylum seekers without their right to hearings,  citing COVID 19 as the justification, even though health experts say it has no medical basis. According to CNBC, it has been used to expel:

440,000+ people under Trump
 690,000+ people under Biden

+ After an in-depth investigation of the regretful events on the Rio Grande, the Biden administration has determined that the problem at the border was caused by horses, which will now be confined to their stables at Del Rio. Presumably, Border Patrol will now conduct its roundups while riding Ford Broncos. It’s the humane thing to do.

+ Inside Biden’s migrant concentration camps a kind of chemical warfare is being used on the detainees: “Every day crowded cells holding people at an immigration detention facility in Florida have been doused with caustic disinfectants that have caused breathing problems and bleeding…”

+ Who needs Stephen Miller?  "

It seems that many of the haitians that are attempting to get into the US have ended up in Tiujana and are doing well because they are very hard workers who only seek opportunity to make a better lives for themselves.

I say we let all of them in and let them take the jobs that spoiled Americans don't want to take, which is pretty much the full gamet of American jobs.  Then this economy would be on fire.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/22/2021 at 10:28 PM, Burning Man said:
On 10/22/2021 at 4:48 PM, roundthebuoys said:

As long as they are confirmed members of a well regulated militia.

That's easy.  THE PEOPLE are all confirmed members of a well regulated militia.  I presume you are one of THE PEOPLE too, right?

It's not always so easy. There are always efforts to exclude some of THE PEOPLE. But I hardly have to tell you that.

On 10/27/2021 at 3:22 AM, Excoded Tom said:

It's not always so easy. There are always efforts to exclude some of THE PEOPLE. But I hardly have to tell you that.

No you don't.  Visitors (legal and illegal) are not THE PEOPLE.  

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Visitors (legal and illegal) are not THE PEOPLE.  

We've always agreed on that.

Is someone who was brought here as a child and grows up here and doesn't know anyone or speak the language in his "home" country still a "visitor" to you?

8 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:
12 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Visitors (legal and illegal) are not THE PEOPLE.  

We've always agreed on that.

Is someone who was brought here as a child and grows up here and doesn't know anyone or speak the language in his "home" country still a "visitor" to you?

No, but you know I'm not talking about the DACA kids.  I don't think they should be returned and should be given legal status.  But until that happens, no I don't think they are THE PEOPLE yet.

8 hours ago, Burning Man said:

No, but you know I'm not talking about the DACA kids.  I don't think they should be returned and should be given legal status.  But until that happens, no I don't think they are THE PEOPLE yet.

A remarkably persistent delusion.

Fact is, they are, according to the courts. You may think, as I frequently do, that the courts got something wrong and that the DACA kids this thread is about SHOULD not be "the people" but they are.

Anyway, my point was that authoritarians who find rights of the people inconvenient are always trying to define down who can be "the people."

I don't find rights of the people inconvenient.  Nor do I consider myself an authoritarian.  I do however believe the words of the Constitution mean something.  If every person who set foot on a piece of US dirt automatically become THE PEOPLE, then WTF do we even have immigration laws for?  Why do we need green cards vs H1B visas, tourist visas, etc.  If every tourist who touches down at JFK is THE PEOPLE, then our laws are completely useless. 

Fuck it, let's just swing the doors wide open and tell every African, South American, Indonesian, European and middle eastern person who can get here that they are welcome and you will be handed some Money and your "THE PEOPLE" membership card and you can do anything your fucking want.  

If every person who set foot on a piece of US dirt automatically become THE PEOPLE, then WTF do we even have immigration laws for?  Why do we need green cards vs H1B visas, tourist visas, etc.  If every tourist who touches down at JFK is THE PEOPLE, then our laws are completely useless. 

Didn't we just agree that visitors are not "the People?"

I don't find rights of the people inconvenient. 

How many times have you said "still no" when the people involved are DACA kids? I count three just on this page. But they ARE the People and you sure seem to want to deny their rights over and over and over. If it's not because they're inconvenient, then why?

14 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Didn't we just agree that visitors are not "the People?"

How many times have you said "still no" when the people involved are DACA kids? I count three just on this page. But they ARE the People and you sure seem to want to deny their rights over and over and over. If it's not because they're inconvenient, then why?

Because I wasn't referring to DACA kids and you know that.  Your thread title is:  Are ILLEGAL immigrants also The People?  The answer to this thread title is still N. O.  

My question back to you tom, is do you think all the kids that have arrived in the last several years all fall under the same DACA kids you speak of?  Or are we dealing with an entirely different subset of young'uns who were brought here as kids and are now young adults?  Where do YOU draw the line.

6 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Because I wasn't referring to DACA kids and you know that.  Your thread title is:  Are ILLEGAL immigrants also The People?  The answer to this thread title is still N. O.  

I understand that you wish that were the answer, but it's still not.

DACA kids are illegal immigrants AND they have the "substantial connection" to our country that makes them "the People." The thread title is admittedly vague and the answer is still sometimes. By the way, you can look beyond a title at the topic post. You know, the one about a DACA kid.

People who want to ignore what our courts have said and define down who can be "the People" worry me, whether they want to attack the first, second, fourth, or some other amendment or right.

6 hours ago, Burning Man said:

My question back to you tom, is do you think all the kids that have arrived in the last several years all fall under the same DACA kids you speak of?  Or are we dealing with an entirely different subset of young'uns who were brought here as kids and are now young adults?  Where do YOU draw the line.

I'm not sure which group you're talking about but would answer the question on an individual level anyway. Does an individual have that "substantial connection" that our courts have spoken about?

I'm not sure a bright and objective line is possible on a question like that one. Growing up here from a very young age counts. Other connections might too.

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2021 at 1:29 AM, Lochnerian Tom said:

I understand that you wish that were the answer, but it's still not.

DACA kids are illegal immigrants AND they have the "substantial connection" to our country that makes them "the People." The thread title is admittedly vague and the answer is still sometimes. By the way, you can look beyond a title at the topic post. You know, the one about a DACA kid.

People who want to ignore what our courts have said and define down who can be "the People" worry me, whether they want to attack the first, second, fourth, or some other amendment or right.

I'm not sure which group you're talking about but would answer the question on an individual level anyway. Does an individual have that "substantial connection" that our courts have spoken about?

I'm not sure a bright and objective line is possible on a question like that one. Growing up here from a very young age counts. Other connections might too.

But they can't vote. So it seems the court is inconsistent. 

On 12/21/2021 at 2:14 AM, Burning Man said:

Still DACA kids.

You keep getting that wrong. FIFY.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:39 PM, Burning Man said:

Still haven't read the topic post, huh? I guess with jocal missing we need another non-reader.

Illegals an interesting topic, basically most of us were from illegal parents over the years.

The first illegals (English) killed all the natives and took their land,

The Italians ran the mafia and pizza parlors

The Irish ran our police depts. and drank our whiskey

The African's made our Plantations profitable and gave us jazz

The Asian's cooked and clean for us, and worked our massage parlors (go ask Kraft) how they build our phones/computers

so now we talk about the Latin American's They cut our lawns (HOA's/golf courses) work behind the scenes at our restaurants, (shit Magot largo uses them)

so I guess you can say over the short history of this country Illegals made us great? or not?

8 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Illegals an interesting topic, basically most of us were from illegal parents over the years.

The first illegals (English) killed all the natives and took their land,

The Italians ran the mafia and pizza parlors

The Irish ran our police depts. and drank our whiskey

The African's made our Plantations profitable and gave us jazz

The Asian's cooked and clean for us, and worked our massage parlors (go ask Kraft) how they build our phones/computers

so now we talk about the Latin American's They cut our lawns (HOA's/golf courses) work behind the scenes at our restaurants, (shit Magot largo uses them)

so I guess you can say over the short history of this country Illegals made us great? or not?

Immigrants, illegal or otherwise, got America where it is now.

Whether that's a good place is open to argument.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I say no, illegal immigrants are not "We the People." 

Not yet. 

So, no vote, bail, ... nada. STF out until invited. 

I'm not American. I agree.

Satisfy the criteria for entry and then you still don't have the same rights as the "people" until you have citizenship. Without citizenship you're a guest and you'd best behave yourself.

19 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I say no, illegal immigrants are not "We the People." 

Not yet. 

So, no vote, bail, ... nada. STF out until invited. 

They are for purposes of the census and the House seats + EC are allocated on that.

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

They are for purposes of the census and the House seats + EC are allocated on that.

No harm no foul there. I'm totally for immigration and welcome people with the fortitude to hit the road in hopes of a better life somewhere. Wish we could trade our malcontents for them. 

I can imagine our recent arrivals from war areas who've lost their homes and cities and surely must stare at the tv in shock to see our homegrown unhappy citizens loot their own neighborhoods and burn down other people's businesses. It should cost them their citizenship imv. 

I know what you mean. Bitch Trump was born in war torn Slovenia where she'd lost her virginity. But then she came here and was recognized for her extraordinary abilities. As the poem on the Statue of Liberty says:

Give us your slightly used ...

BTW, illegal immigration has been falling since 2007.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/06/12/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

I know what you mean. Bitch Trump was born in war torn Slovenia where she'd lost her virginity. But then she came here and was recognized for her extraordinary abilities. As the poem on the Statue of Liberty says:

Give us your slightly used ...

BTW, illegal immigration has been falling since 2007.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/06/12/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

How shitty does it have to become here, before they stop coming altogether? In this area, we've already seen a reversal of the trend toward Hispanic laborers in semi-skilled and skilled trades. Many fewer Hispanic construction workers. The ones I've talked to say they saved up their money and went home.

IMHO when the citizens are being stripped of rights, it doesn't make sense for the citizens to exert their political effort fighting to deny rights to immigrants. Of course, encouraging them to do so works quite well as a divisive distraction from what is actually happening

- DSK

And it bears repeating that Dubya Bush, to his credit for a change, proposed a detailed plan to reform immigration in 2007. 

His own party blew it up for the obvious reason that solving the problem would lead to less outrage and fewer opportunities for them to demagogue the issue. 

Chaos at the border is a deliberate creation of the GOPPER Riech. 

40 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

His own party blew it up for the obvious reason that solving the problem would lead to less outrage and fewer opportunities for them to demagogue the issue. 

This is childlike reasoning from a rabid partisan. Prove it.

15 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

This is childlike reasoning from a rabid partisan. Prove it.

You need to splain why the GOP has blocked immigration reform for FIFTEEN YEARS !! 

And have you recovered your dignity somewhat over your confusion of the Ivy League with all private unis ?? 

Why don't you apologize for that rack stupidity ?? 

The Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2007 failed a cloture vote in the Senate. Support was mostly Democratic but bipartisan and objection mostly Republican but bipartisan. The right wing hated it for its path to citizenship and the left hated it for its classifications. Bush the Stupid was not opposed as long as he didn't have to do any work. Like at all. Ever.

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/homesec/R42980.pdf

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1101/vote_110_1_00206.htm

21 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

And have you recovered your dignity somewhat over your confusion of the Ivy League with all private unis ?? 

O, the discussion was about admissions to elite unis. You moved the goal posts. 

And prove the other thing. No whatabout this or that. 

Just now, Olsonist said:

The Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2007 failed a cloture vote in the Senate. Support was mostly Democratic but bipartisan and objection mostly Republican but bipartisan. The right wing hated it for path to citizenship and the left hated it for its classifications. Bush the Stupid was not opposed as long as he didn't have to do any work. Like at all. Ever.

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/homesec/R42980.pdf

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1101/vote_110_1_00206.htm

Fuking A.

"Unwanted" immigration has been occurring for the last 13,000 years among hominids.  No one as yet had a handle on this but the most absurd reasoning is that the GOP decided "that solving the problem would lead to less outrage and fewer opportunities for them to demagogue the issue."

10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Fuking A.

"Unwanted" immigration has been occurring for the last 13,000 years among hominids.  No one as yet had a handle on this but the most absurd reasoning is that the GOP decided "that solving the problem would lead to less outrage and fewer opportunities for them to demagogue the issue."

That reasoning is absurd, but it's exactly what has been increasingly driving the Republican Party since Reagan. It's all faked-up culture wars, all the time.

And they win with it, all the time (almost).

- DSK

11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

That reasoning is absurd, but it's exactly what has been increasingly driving the Republican Party

The GOPPER Riech has also done the same thing with abortion and other issues. 

They have no interest or competence in governing. 

12 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

O, the discussion was about admissions to elite unis. You moved the goal posts. 

Complete and total bull pucky - there are dozens of elite UNIS out there that are not Ivy League . . yet are elite. 

Duke, Cal Tech, Stanford, U of Chicago, Northwestern, Vandy and many others - are just as selective, more so in some cases. Colby College is more selective than Carnell or Amherst. 

You do not have a clue as to what you are writing about. 

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You do not have a clue as to what you are writing about. 

Really, it's you who do not have a clue what I'm writing about.

I'm seriously thinking of telling your wife that you're into the electronics again.

• 4 months later...

Illegal immigrants are the People to some of us, not to others, but in some places they're at least the drivers. Until ICE gets hold of them.

The Center on Privacy & Technology at Georgetown Law released a report on Tuesday, "American Dragnet: Data-Driven Deportation in the 21st Century," detailing how ICE has slurped up massive amounts of data from state DMVs, utility records, private data brokers, and facial recognition software, often without a warrant or any meaningful oversight.

The report details how ICE began rapidly expanding its surveillance capabilities in the waning days of the George W. Bush administration. Since 2008, ICE has spent $2.8 billion on facial recognition software and other new surveillance technology. Just last week, federal contracting records showed ICE intends to spend $7.2 million on yet more facial recognition tools.

Among the report's major findings: ICE has scanned the driver's license photos roughly a third of adults using facial recognition technology. ICE has access to the driver's license data of 3 in 4 adults, can track the movements of drivers in cities that are home to 3 in 4 adults, and can locate 3 in 4 adults through their utility records.

In 2020, the Washington Post reported that ICE had run facial recognition searches on millions of driver's license photos in Maryland, where undocumented immigrants are allowed to apply for licenses, without approval from the state or courts.

"When undocumented drivers apply for licenses, they place a significant amount of trust in the state that their information will not be used against them," the  Center on Privacy & Technology report says. "Allowing ICE to use driver records for immigration enforcement purposes is a profound betrayal of that trust."

That's a pretty rough way to learn that placing a significant amount of trust in the state is a good path to disappointment. And back home.