Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Matagi said:

I only yesterday saw that she's taken.

There is this other thread where someone is trying to chose a new 40 footer.

Any idea how a J/125 would perform against a Ker 40 or a Soto 40?

Slower..Especially on a W/L and especially in less than 18 knots

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JL92S said:

The J125 in the fastnet didn’t put in a particularly great performance. Finished behind some small JPKs a few Sunfasts and an Oyster 48 among others…

Has a J/125 ever won anything that didn't resemble a race to Hawaii?  I'm thinking no.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roleur said:

Has a J/125 ever won anything that didn't resemble a race to Hawaii?  I'm thinking no.  

You mean like the Big Boat Series? Or ocean races that start and finish in the same place? That would be a yes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trevor B said:

You mean like the Big Boat Series? Or ocean races that start and finish in the same place? That would be a yes. 

I think if this fastnet had finished in cowes it wouldn’t have done any better than it did

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JL92S said:

I think if this fastnet had finished in cowes it wouldn’t have done any better than it did

You're using a sample of one to try to prove a point, there are too many other variables.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the J125 is capable of doing well in quite a variety of conditions and types of races. The Hamachi and Double Trouble guys proved that in the Big Boat Series and California offshore races. The 125 is a capable handicap racing machine, inshore and offshore. It's only glaring weakness is very light air. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Without looking into this much

Transpac 

pac cup

cabo

Chicago to Mac 

big boat 

yachting cup

coastal cup

ca offshore race week 

The list must go on but that’s an impressive list for a fleet of 16 boats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IMR said:

Without looking into this much

Transpac 

pac cup

cabo

Chicago to Mac 

big boat 

yachting cup

coastal cup

ca offshore race week 

The list must go on but that’s an impressive list for a fleet of 16 boats. 

Are those just division wins?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Are those just division wins?  

For sure overall in all except maybe Chicago to Mac.

Overall on the west coast long distance races is a bit of a lottery because they stagger the starting days in most of the longer races.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trevor B said:

For sure overall in all except maybe Chicago to Mac.

Overall on the west coast long distance races is a bit of a lottery because they stagger the starting days in most of the longer races.

The Chicago Mac was the one I was most curious about. I don’t remember the resident 125 doing very well in much of anything on the lake. Don’t get me wrong, I love the boat, but it’s happiest as a one trick pony. Nothing wrong with that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's all remember than the boats and design is nearly 25 years old! The boats are great platforms and very rewarding when sailed well. What you put into it is what you get out of it.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MPH said:

Let's all remember than the boats and design is nearly 25 years old! The boats are great platforms and very rewarding when sailed well. What you put into it is what you get out of it.... 

I don’t think a single person has said anything bad about the 125. A few of us simply implied they’re happiest rocketing downhill. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, MPH said:

Slower..Especially on a W/L and especially in less than 18 knots

The San Diego based 125, regularly beats the Soto 40. Closed course and point to point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, Swimsailor said:

Nope.  Hamachi won Transpac overall in 2019.

Double Trouble was Pacific Cup overall winner until a penalty due to a technicality of checking the YB tracker during the race.  FWIW that is no longer against the rules.  If we are talking about how the boats perform, then DT performed well!  

Also, weren't J/125's 2nd and 4th OA in Transpac 2019.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Eagle’s Wings Update,

After a (too) long stay in New Bern/Beaufort NC, I was finally able to sail her down to her new home in St. Augustine, Florida. We lucked out with a great weather window and mostly sailed a broad reach the whole way. Some great spinnaker runs, and an awesome day with main and jib surfing almost constantly at 11-15 kts. This was with the awful aft superstructure with solar panels, two wind generators, and a dinghy! 
The very old and partially delaminated main got us all the way there, but with one side nearly completely separated and spaghetti hanging out. 
She’s on a mooring. The plan is to return her to thoroughbred status by removing the entire aft superstructure and installing a couple of solar panels on the aft deck to keep the batteries charged. 
I’m looking for new sails that will perform in local races yet be durable enough for frequent day sailing. 
Anyone selling lightly used racing sails? Or any thoughts/advice on replacing sails?

Merry Christmas!

 

Richard

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DrA said:

Eagle’s Wings Update,

After a (too) long stay in New Bern/Beaufort NC, I was finally able to sail her down to her new home in St. Augustine, Florida. We lucked out with a great weather window and mostly sailed a broad reach the whole way. Some great spinnaker runs, and an awesome day with main and jib surfing almost constantly at 11-15 kts. This was with the awful aft superstructure with solar panels, two wind generators, and a dinghy! 
The very old and partially delaminated main got us all the way there, but with one side nearly completely separated and spaghetti hanging out. 
She’s on a mooring. The plan is to return her to thoroughbred status by removing the entire aft superstructure and installing a couple of solar panels on the aft deck to keep the batteries charged. 
I’m looking for new sails that will perform in local races yet be durable enough for frequent day sailing. 
Anyone selling lightly used racing sails? Or any thoughts/advice on replacing sails?

Merry Christmas!

 

Richard

There is a new Dacron main that was built for a movie shoot in 2019 in the Bay Area somewhere. I am sure it’s for sale just need to find out where it ended up and who has it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IMR said:

There is a new Dacron main that was built for a movie shoot in 2019 in the Bay Area somewhere. I am sure it’s for sale just need to find out where it ended up and who has it. 

Very interesting information! I wonder how we could locate it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 6:31 PM, Roleur said:

Double Trouble was Pacific Cup overall winner until a penalty due to a technicality of checking the YB tracker during the race.  FWIW that is no longer against the rules.  If we are talking about how the boats perform, then DT performed well!  

Also, weren't J/125's 2nd and 4th OA in Transpac 2019.  

 

On 8/29/2021 at 9:31 PM, MPH said:

I believe Reinrag has also won the Transpac overall, maybe even twice. 

J-125's were 1, 2, 4 and 5, OA in 2019.

In 2015 they were 1,2 and 4 in Div.

In 2009 Reinrag was 2nd in Div.

Reinrag won the Transpac OA in 2007. 

In 2005 Reinrag was 1st in Div.

In 2003 Reinrag was 1st in Div.

I think that 2003 was the first year that a J-125 raced Transpac.

(I don't recall which years Reinrag finished with or without a propeller!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

J125 just won its class last weekend on the Lauderdale to Key West Race mostly upwind.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

We just won our Division by 5 hours and our start day in the San Diego to Puerta Vallarta Race on the Neried.  Great boats for offshore wasn't even a particularly windy race this year.  There are 4 signed up for Pac Cup and currently there are 9 on the West Coast.  Now how do we get them all together for something...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, fan said:

We just won our Division by 5 hours and our start day in the San Diego to Puerta Vallarta Race on the Neried.  Great boats for offshore wasn't even a particularly windy race this year.  There are 4 signed up for Pac Cup and currently there are 9 on the West Coast.  Now how do we get them all together for something...

What about ca offshore race week. A bit less of a commitment than a Hawaii race. Arsonal is signed up for the whole thing.

Or bbs?

There are three on the bay

hammer

Rufless 

arsonal

one in Tahoe

August ice

SoCal has 4 boats or 5? 
The Dr boat

the Silver boat (ex double trouble)

Neried

snoopy

so that’s 8 or 9 in California alone, then one in Portland and one in Seattle. So 11 of 16 total on the west coast, we could have some great racing  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IMR said:

What about ca offshore race week. A bit less of a commitment than a Hawaii race. Arsonal is signed up for the whole thing.

Or bbs?

There are three on the bay

hammer

Rufless 

arsonal

one in Tahoe

August ice

SoCal has 4 boats or 5? 
The Dr boat

the Silver boat (ex double trouble)

Neried

snoopy

so that’s 8 or 9 in California alone, then one in Portland and one in Seattle. So 11 of 16 total on the west coast, we could have some great racing  

 

 

My understanding currently is the boat will be doing SoCal300, Newport to Ensenada and Santa Barbara to King Harbor for offshore races.  THat is what I am signed up for through the end of the year.  Boat is also talking about Yachting Cup, Long Beach Race Week, Long Point Race Week and Hot Rums. Then next year full schedule ending with Transpac.

 

Forgot to add there is another boat coming to So Cal into Marina Del Rey it used to be called Javalin which is what they are going to name it again after it is refit.  Talked to guy after PV about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2022 at 8:46 AM, fan said:

My understanding currently is the boat will be doing SoCal300, Newport to Ensenada and Santa Barbara to King Harbor for offshore races.  THat is what I am signed up for through the end of the year.  Boat is also talking about Yachting Cup, Long Beach Race Week, Long Point Race Week and Hot Rums. Then next year full schedule ending with Transpac.

 

Forgot to add there is another boat coming to So Cal into Marina Del Rey it used to be called Javalin which is what they are going to name it again after it is refit.  Talked to guy after PV about it.

If I am not mistaken, Javalin became Double Trouble, and then referred to after the DT days as the silver boat.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IMR said:

If I am not mistaken, Javalin became Double Trouble, and then referred to after the DT days as the silver boat.  

Not sure the guy I spoke to told me the current name but I don't remember was a few Palomas in at that point.  But he said it was originally Javlen which is what they were going to name it back to.  But exciting with thi smany boats on one coast.  Probably woud have done Pac Cup insteadof PV if wehad known there would be so many 125's

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BobJ said:

Hull #3:  Javelin (vivid red) > Narrow Escape (east coast) > Double Trouble (painted silver before sale) > Can't Touch This > now?

Javelin again at least that is what i am told.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Well J125 just won the Newport to Ensenada Race Overall. The race website reffered to it as a clasic bult in 1999 hahah

Nereid N2E 2022 2.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently a J-125 can also win around the bouys shocking I know.  I can say the boat is certainly not built for this tough to hold a lane racing boat with 10 feet of waterline etc.  But Nereid just won ORR and was 2nd PHRF in the Yachting Cup, a 6 race bouy regatta.  Looking to get some of the West Coast J-125's out for the Santa Barbara to King Harbor.   There are a bunch on the West Coast I think 4 are doing Pacific Cup.

See below and if you can add to the list please do.  I keep getting conflicting info on what used to be what

San Diego CA

Neried ex Timeshaver ex somethingout of Malta

Marina Del Rey CA

Javalin ex Double Trouble ex Stark Raving Mad

Santa Barbara CA

Warrior

Argo ex Dervitive ex Snoopy

San Fransisco CA

Velvet Hammer ex Resolute

Ruffless

Arsenal ex Tyre

Lake Tahoe CA

August Ice

Seattle WA

Hamachi

Rienrag

Miami FL

Vorices

 

YC Trohpies.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fan said:

Apparently a J-125 can also win around the bouys shocking I know.  I can say the boat is certainly not built for this tough to hold a lane racing boat with 10 feet of waterline etc.  But Nereid just won ORR and was 2nd PHRF in the Yachting Cup, a 6 race bouy regatta.  Looking to get some of the West Coast J-125's out for the Santa Barbara to King Harbor.   There are a bunch on the West Coast I think 4 are doing Pacific Cup.

See below and if you can add to the list please do.  I keep getting conflicting info on what used to be what

San Diego CA

Neried ex Timeshaver ex somethingout of Malta

Marina Del Rey CA

Javalin ex Double Trouble ex Stark Raving Mad

Santa Barbara CA

Warrior

Argo ex Dervitive ex Snoopy

San Fransisco CA

Velvet Hammer ex Resolute

Ruffless

Arsenal ex Tyre

Lake Tahoe CA

August Ice

Seattle WA

Hamachi

Rienrag

Miami FL

Vorices

 

YC Trohpies.jpg

Where are snoopy and derivative(SD I thougth)? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagle's Wings racing again, now out of St. Augustine, Florida.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the So Cal Boats come up for BBS?  If we get 6 boats, i bet they would give us our own start.  

Arsenal will be down for the SoCal 300, they are doing all of Offshore race week.   Rufless is joining them for costal cup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IMR said:

Where are snoopy and derivative(SD I thougth)? 

Snoopy was Dervitive then it was Snoopy again and now I believe it is called Argo and is out of Sant Barbara. 

 

5 hours ago, IMR said:

Will the So Cal Boats come up for BBS?  If we get 6 boats, i bet they would give us our own start.  

Arsenal will be down for the SoCal 300, they are doing all of Offshore race week.   Rufless is joining them for costal cup. 

We won't be up for BBS owner driver would be a bit dangerous in that event.  WIll be great to go up against Arsenal in SoCal300 then!

 

5 hours ago, DrA said:

Eagle's Wings racing again, now out of St. Augustine, Florida.

That is cool then there are two boats in Florida now then will edit above list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...