• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Matagi said:

I only yesterday saw that she's taken.

There is this other thread where someone is trying to chose a new 40 footer.

Any idea how a J/125 would perform against a Ker 40 or a Soto 40?

Slower..Especially on a W/L and especially in less than 18 knots

14 hours ago, JL92S said:

The J125 in the fastnet didn’t put in a particularly great performance. Finished behind some small JPKs a few Sunfasts and an Oyster 48 among others…

Has a J/125 ever won anything that didn't resemble a race to Hawaii?  I'm thinking no.  

5 hours ago, Roleur said:

Has a J/125 ever won anything that didn't resemble a race to Hawaii?  I'm thinking no.  

You mean like the Big Boat Series? Or ocean races that start and finish in the same place? That would be a yes. 

2 hours ago, Trevor B said:

You mean like the Big Boat Series? Or ocean races that start and finish in the same place? That would be a yes. 

I think if this fastnet had finished in cowes it wouldn’t have done any better than it did

7 hours ago, JL92S said:

I think if this fastnet had finished in cowes it wouldn’t have done any better than it did

You're using a sample of one to try to prove a point, there are too many other variables.

I think the J125 is capable of doing well in quite a variety of conditions and types of races. The Hamachi and Double Trouble guys proved that in the Big Boat Series and California offshore races. The 125 is a capable handicap racing machine, inshore and offshore. It's only glaring weakness is very light air. 

Without looking into this much

Transpac 

pac cup

cabo

Chicago to Mac 

big boat 

yachting cup

coastal cup

ca offshore race week 

The list must go on but that’s an impressive list for a fleet of 16 boats. 

5 hours ago, IMR said:

Without looking into this much

Transpac 

pac cup

cabo

Chicago to Mac 

big boat 

yachting cup

coastal cup

ca offshore race week 

The list must go on but that’s an impressive list for a fleet of 16 boats. 

Are those just division wins?  

5 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Are those just division wins?  

For sure overall in all except maybe Chicago to Mac.

Overall on the west coast long distance races is a bit of a lottery because they stagger the starting days in most of the longer races.

2 minutes ago, Trevor B said:

For sure overall in all except maybe Chicago to Mac.

Overall on the west coast long distance races is a bit of a lottery because they stagger the starting days in most of the longer races.

The Chicago Mac was the one I was most curious about. I don’t remember the resident 125 doing very well in much of anything on the lake. Don’t get me wrong, I love the boat, but it’s happiest as a one trick pony. Nothing wrong with that. 

Let's all remember than the boats and design is nearly 25 years old! The boats are great platforms and very rewarding when sailed well. What you put into it is what you get out of it.... 

5 hours ago, MPH said:

Let's all remember than the boats and design is nearly 25 years old! The boats are great platforms and very rewarding when sailed well. What you put into it is what you get out of it.... 

I don’t think a single person has said anything bad about the 125. A few of us simply implied they’re happiest rocketing downhill. 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, MPH said:

Slower..Especially on a W/L and especially in less than 18 knots

The San Diego based 125, regularly beats the Soto 40. Closed course and point to point.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, Swimsailor said:

Nope.  Hamachi won Transpac overall in 2019.

Double Trouble was Pacific Cup overall winner until a penalty due to a technicality of checking the YB tracker during the race.  FWIW that is no longer against the rules.  If we are talking about how the boats perform, then DT performed well!  

Also, weren't J/125's 2nd and 4th OA in Transpac 2019.  

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Eagle’s Wings Update,

After a (too) long stay in New Bern/Beaufort NC, I was finally able to sail her down to her new home in St. Augustine, Florida. We lucked out with a great weather window and mostly sailed a broad reach the whole way. Some great spinnaker runs, and an awesome day with main and jib surfing almost constantly at 11-15 kts. This was with the awful aft superstructure with solar panels, two wind generators, and a dinghy! 
The very old and partially delaminated main got us all the way there, but with one side nearly completely separated and spaghetti hanging out. 
She’s on a mooring. The plan is to return her to thoroughbred status by removing the entire aft superstructure and installing a couple of solar panels on the aft deck to keep the batteries charged. 
I’m looking for new sails that will perform in local races yet be durable enough for frequent day sailing. 
Anyone selling lightly used racing sails? Or any thoughts/advice on replacing sails?

Merry Christmas!

Richard

• Like 1
17 hours ago, DrA said:

Eagle’s Wings Update,

After a (too) long stay in New Bern/Beaufort NC, I was finally able to sail her down to her new home in St. Augustine, Florida. We lucked out with a great weather window and mostly sailed a broad reach the whole way. Some great spinnaker runs, and an awesome day with main and jib surfing almost constantly at 11-15 kts. This was with the awful aft superstructure with solar panels, two wind generators, and a dinghy! 
The very old and partially delaminated main got us all the way there, but with one side nearly completely separated and spaghetti hanging out. 
She’s on a mooring. The plan is to return her to thoroughbred status by removing the entire aft superstructure and installing a couple of solar panels on the aft deck to keep the batteries charged. 
I’m looking for new sails that will perform in local races yet be durable enough for frequent day sailing. 
Anyone selling lightly used racing sails? Or any thoughts/advice on replacing sails?

Merry Christmas!

Richard

There is a new Dacron main that was built for a movie shoot in 2019 in the Bay Area somewhere. I am sure it’s for sale just need to find out where it ended up and who has it. 

2 hours ago, IMR said:

There is a new Dacron main that was built for a movie shoot in 2019 in the Bay Area somewhere. I am sure it’s for sale just need to find out where it ended up and who has it. 

Very interesting information! I wonder how we could locate it?

8 minutes ago, solosailor said:

A slightly used mainsail and heel lifts !

Hello,

Is this the same sail referred to by IMR? Please contact me with details: richard.amerling@gmail.com

Thanks,

Richard

On 8/28/2021 at 6:31 PM, Roleur said:

Double Trouble was Pacific Cup overall winner until a penalty due to a technicality of checking the YB tracker during the race.  FWIW that is no longer against the rules.  If we are talking about how the boats perform, then DT performed well!  

Also, weren't J/125's 2nd and 4th OA in Transpac 2019.  

On 8/29/2021 at 9:31 PM, MPH said:

I believe Reinrag has also won the Transpac overall, maybe even twice. 

J-125's were 1, 2, 4 and 5, OA in 2019.

In 2015 they were 1,2 and 4 in Div.

In 2009 Reinrag was 2nd in Div.

Reinrag won the Transpac OA in 2007. 

In 2005 Reinrag was 1st in Div.

In 2003 Reinrag was 1st in Div.

I think that 2003 was the first year that a J-125 raced Transpac.

(I don't recall which years Reinrag finished with or without a propeller!)

• 3 weeks later...

J125 just won its class last weekend on the Lauderdale to Key West Race mostly upwind.

• Like 1