Jimmy Buffet just bought one of ugliest sailboats I have ever seen...

On 9/20/2018 at 1:54 PM, SecondWindNC said:

It'd still be a semi-custom project, so it would vary, but Sailing gave its best guess at a sailaway price as $2.8M.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1998-surfari-50.html

According to the spec sheet on the builder's web site, it's 3.5MM as built. 2.9MM base and 600K in options. The roller shade awning is 44K. Ouch. 

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

10 years ago. When involved with many "Lobster Yachts". I thought that a derivative to include the basic hull design with a rig could be interesting; 2008 killed that idea. 

Something relevant? It takes some stones to bad mouth the designs of others, and post your crap on every thread under the sun.   Wow, 20,000 posts and how many decades of nothing relevant from you o

@Rasputin22   ... that's yet another glorious post from you which makes me feel a famine-like hunger for your book. If you die without writing it, I think I'll dig you up and kill you all over ag

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tanton Y_M said:

10 years ago.

When involved with many "Lobster Yachts". I thought that a derivative to include the basic hull design with a rig could be interesting; 2008 killed that idea. 

284GAPV-MA05-09.JPG

284HLDKELMR-01.jpg

That's really cool, YMT. I also like melding power and sail.

I would keep the one level cockpit and salon and move the wheel forward like Surfari and the SP Cruiser from IP. That open cockpit, like on a lobster boat or a sportfish is extremely versitile. The outdoor kitchen, multi-use design of the Surfari cockpit, including the swiveling fighting chairs, is awesome, and a big part of its outrageous price tag I'm sure.

And I would go with one engine with a bow thruster, and a shoal draft keel and centerboard with, sadly, a matching barn door rudder. I think twin rudders are great, but not for shoal draft sailing. Getting in and out of the harbor, sure, but not skimming the flats.

I would also keep the stern platform as part of the hull, as in many power boats and the SP Cruiser. It's extremely useful at anchor and at the dock, robust, and eliminates all that fold-down cheapness or complexity--or both. And with an emergency rope ladder always there under a hatch reachable from the water, it's a big safety feature.

Under deck reel winches would be a consideration too, but I like the Surfari line handling set up. For coastal cruising and entertaining this type is an alternative to a cat. At the Surfari price it's somehow a more expensive alternative unfortunately. Perhaps a less than every detail bespoke for a wealthy musician version could be built for well under a million? Like if Catalina emerged from the '80s and '90s magically?

21 hours ago, IStream said:
On 9/21/2018 at 1:10 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Anything with windscreen wipers is not a sailboat.

I was about to agree with you but my buddy's Nauticat has them and despite all appearances to the contrary, it's actually a decent sailboat. Better than mine, in fact, in December and January when he's out sailing with the pilothouse heat on full blast and the windshield wipers doing their thing.

OK, how about: Anything with more than one fighting chair is not a sailboat?

I'd say the topic boat breaks that rule. Masts on motorboats set me off and this one doesn't hit that button. It looks like it would sail OK.

11 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

10 years ago.

When involved with many "Lobster Yachts". I thought that a derivative to include the basic hull design with a rig could be interesting; 2008 killed that idea. 

Just as well, IMO. In the 1980's I encountered a budget cruising couple who had converted a grouper fishing hull to a sailing trawler. I asked how fast it would sail and he said, "Depends how fast I have the engine going." When pressed, he did admit that they once found themselves reaching on a perfect angle in 25 knots and shut down the engine and sailed at 4 knots.

The boat was a really nice cruiser made from a proven fishing hull. It was fine without a mast and I thought putting one on it was ridiculous. Still do. They seemed to enjoy playing with the useless sails in light Bahamian breezes though, and it did provide laundry hanging opportunities. So there's that.

12 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:
On 9/21/2018 at 6:12 AM, IStream said:
On 9/20/2018 at 11:10 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Anything with windscreen wipers is not a sailboat.

I was about to agree with you but my buddy's Nauticat has them and despite all appearances to the contrary, it's actually a decent sailboat. Better than mine, in fact, in December and January when he's out sailing with the pilothouse heat on full blast and the windshield wipers doing their thing.

I'd say the topic boat breaks that rule. Masts on motorboats set me off and this one doesn't hit that button. It looks like it would sail OK.

On 9/21/2018 at 3:51 PM, Tanton Y_M said:

10 years ago.

Just as well, IMO. In the 1980's I encountered a budget cruising couple who had converted a grouper fishing hull to a sailing trawler. I asked how fast it would sail and he said, "Depends how fast I have the engine going." When pressed, he did admit that they once found themselves reaching on a perfect angle in 25 knots and shut down the engine and sailed at 4 knots.

The boat was a really nice cruiser made from a proven fishing hull. It was fine without a mast and I thought putting one on it was ridiculous. Still do. They seemed to enjoy playing with the useless sails in light Bahamian breezes though, and it did provide laundry hanging opportunities. So there's that.

Let's see a drawing of the "grouper fishing hull" you're talking about and compare. YMT's hull looks like it would sail ok and adds beam for livability. It's what motorsailors are good for, livability and cruisability.

Adding a mast to a old fishing trawler presumably without a sail specific keel is a totally different exercise and not comparable. That said, in a slow trawler, adding riding sails and using the apparent wind generated anyway, I'll bet it had a better motion than an un-stabilized trawler.

You're a dick, Tom. And it's funny how the taste police chime in here.

Here's another ugly boat for you guys to bitch about, enjoy. :)

114076521_ScreenShot2018-09-22at3_49_51PM.png.4d19e159a3f78af1f21abdb178d395e0.png

16 minutes ago, lasal said:

Let's see a drawing of the "grouper fishing hull" you're talking about and compare. YMT's hull looks like it would sail ok and adds beam for livability. It's what motorsailors are good for, livability and cruisability.

Adding a mast to a old fishing trawler presumably without a sail specific keel is a totally different exercise and not comparable. That said, in a slow trawler, adding riding sails and using the apparent wind generated anyway, I'll bet it had a better motion than an un-stabilized trawler.

You're a dick, Tom. And it's funny how the taste police chime in here.

Here's another ugly boat for you guys to bitch about, enjoy. :)

114076521_ScreenShot2018-09-22at3_49_51PM.png.4d19e159a3f78af1f21abdb178d395e0.png

A bastard hybrid of a Morgan and a Bayliner. Say what you want about the 80's vintage Nauticats, at least they look like the designer was competent. 

You're welcome!

Just now, IStream said:

A bastard hybrid of a Morgan and a Bayliner. Say what you want about the 80's vintage Nauticats, at least they look like the designer was competent. 

You're welcome!

If you like climbing stairs all day, the Nauticats, high quality as they are, are perfect. And sitting up there on that bulbous ass Nautor called a transom, to steer ten feet above the water line is odd indeed. I do like them though. And who knows, I may cruise the PNW on one in a few years.

But on the SP cruiser, the pilot house with that tiny aft cockpit works great, especially with the huge swim step that gets used all day long. And at night too, great place to pee from at three a.m. And at ten times cheaper than Jimmy's dream boat, it's a bargain!

Improving the sailing performance a notch would be good, and not that hard. That said, it sorta sails kinda ok.

1 hour ago, lasal said:

If you like climbing stairs all day, the Nauticats, high quality as they are, are perfect. And sitting up there on that bulbous ass Nautor called a transom, to steer ten feet above the water line is odd indeed. I do like them though. And who knows, I may cruise the PNW on one in a few years.

No, please don't!  Surely you have friends who can stop you doing something so destructive to your mortal soul?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

No, please don't!  Surely you have friends who can stop you doing something so destructive to your mortal soul?

My mortal soul does appreciate some protection from the elements in November, north of Bellingham. At least I think it does.

The compromises of designs are infinite food for thought. The Nauticats are brilliant boats. The stern is a sticking point for me, but I can look the other way when I need to. I can't rule one out, I'm sailing to Cordova, Alaska and Prince William sound when I cruise the PNW, so a high volume interior boat works well.

My friends, smart as they are, and fast as they are on bikes, and successful as they are at work, don't know anything about boats. Story of my life. A couple of family members made their marks in boats, but friends not so much. :(

34 minutes ago, lasal said:

My mortal soul does appreciate some protection from the elements in November, north of Bellingham. At least I think it does.

I'm all for keeping my mortal soil on land during the winter, and floating it again in springtime.  That avoids any siren voices luring me towards the spiritual rocks of motorsailing

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 9/22/2018 at 5:24 AM, Steganographic Tom said:

Been absent for quite awhile,...so just reading back thru some of the comments of the past few years.

I always thought the idea of gamefishing under sail was a real possibility,...but it remained a thought idea to sell

http://www.runningtideyachts.com/gamefishing/

I might still play around with some ideas of a smaller weekender version that could be taken out to the shallow water Bahamas, FL keys, etc. At one time I had 3 gentlemen interested in such an idea, but we were right in the subsequent 2008 crash

This cat I saw in Thailand still intrigues me to some degree. I started a subject thread about it over here,..

The vessel I posted actual has some accommodations in the hulls. Its just that the majority of the 'living' area (saloon, cooking, etc is up in this central 'between the hulls' covered deck space. (note there are 4 hatches down into the hulls)

And the outboards were a cheaper, less intrusive manner to add power.

Overall a nice concept....that could even lend itself to home building in composite ply

Weekender/Picnic catamaran
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/weekender-picnic-powercat.33751/

Note also there are NO 'windows' in the main saloon,...those are cut-outs that get covered in canvas when desired,...nice natural ventilation, less wind-age when sailing, much cheaper to build,...etc

as i think i said in the beginning of this thread, i really like the Buffet boat

anytime someone designs a sailboat to do the job of a motor boat.., it's a good thing.

it's basically a picnic boat with sails, only better.., because it's much more suited for various types of aquatic fun than a hinckley. i'm sure it's great fun to take young kids.., or grandkids or whomever - anyone who wants to spend the day playing in the water.

i saw the boat in st barts - it looked good in person too.

On 11/22/2015 at 8:04 AM, brian eiland said:

Back to the design of this vessel.

I find a significant number of faults with it. I'll just start with one, 6.5 foot 'shoal draft'.

It’s the perfect extension for living the life he enjoys, whether it’s in Sag Harbor for the summer or the Keys and the Caribbean in the winter

I think a few of those areas are pretty shallow, particularly the Keys. Who wants a 6.5 draft that needs to get worrisome when you get to 9-10 foot of water?
I think JB is a keen 'flats guy'....(likes to sport fish the salt water flats).

So that means he needs some sort of nice dingy to reach those areas. Where on that vessel are you going to carry that yacht tender, while still being able to utilize those 'fishing chairs'?

Perhaps in that nice big cockpit area, but wait a minute that might be filled up with a few other water toys....

Buffett is a waterman himself and explained that his love of paddle boarding, surfing and kayaking inspired the Surfari 44’s 39” high and 11 ½ foot wide 'tailgate'.

I can just imagine a kayak (or 2), or a paddle board (or 2), or a few other toys lying down on the cockpit floor that is also the passage-way between the aft cockpit and the helm. I would image a lot of stumbling going on over this clutter. Might be easy to get them out thru that transom door, but that's about it.

So how does he get his 'flats skiff' to those remote flats areas?

(here is one extreme location, but a really interesting one from a fisherman's standpoint

http://www.runningtideyachts.com/archives/FishZone1.php )

Or how about just out to the Bahamas.

And what's the combo purpose in the fold-down transom? .....as stated easy launch of those water toys. Won't do any good if they are on the front deck? And sea kayaks won't be so easily stored and retrieved from along the lifelines of the front deck, ....particularly with a limited crew such as just one family member or two.

I find a significant number of faults with it. I'll just start with one, 6.5 foot 'shoal draft'.

I think a few of those areas are pretty shallow, particularly the Keys. Who wants a 6.5 draft that needs to get worrisome when you get to 9-10 foot of water?

So that means he needs some sort of nice dingy to reach those areas. Where on that vessel are you going to carry that yacht tender, while still being able to utilize those 'fishing chairs'?

Perhaps in that nice big cockpit area, but wait a minute that might be filled up with a few other water toys....

Buffett is a waterman himself and explained that his love of paddle boarding, surfing and kayaking inspired the Surfari 44’s 39” high and 11 ½ foot wide 'tailgate'.

I can just imagine a kayak (or 2), or a paddle board (or 2), or a few other toys lying down on the cockpit floor that is also the passage-way between the aft cockpit and the helm. I would image a lot of stumbling going on over this clutter. Might be easy to get them out thru that transom door, but that's about it.

(here is one extreme location, but a really interesting one from a fisherman's standpoint

And what's the combo purpose in the fold-down transom? .....as stated easy launch of those water toys. Won't do any good if they are on the front deck? And sea kayaks won't be so easily stored and retrieved from along the lifelines of the front deck, ....particularly with a limited crew such as just one family member or two.

• Downvote 1

Sorry, appears I forgot how to navigate the buttons on this forum

Tidy build and interesting design, BUT I don't think it is really the correct boat for him.

From all I have read, he REALLY likes to fish the 'flats' ...bonefish and other sporting varieties.

That vessel with its twin props, weighted keel/draft, non-kick-up rudders, is not a vessel that he is going to be comfortable taking into shallow water. My guess he will get nervous as it approaches 7-8 foot of depth. And if you go aground in that thing, you are STUCK

Shallow Draft is KING
On another occasion I did a trip with a Louisiane 37 catamaran that drew 19 inches of water with the CB's up and the rudders kicked up.

I took that same Louisiane 37 catamaran down along the backside of the outer islands of Cape Hatteras, NC (there were times we were pulling the boat along while walking the shallows....what a great trip that was). I'm sure there are not many boats of that size that have ever made that trip,...particularly the portion from Orcacoke down to Beaufort

more back on page 5 of this discussion

I'm pretty sure that Jimmy B would have a whole separate boat to carry the water toys.

In the book he wrote about a vacation to Colombia, they took both the jet and the seaplane, because you know, one plane can't do it all.  (I enjoyed his novels, but I had a hard time relating to that autobiography.)

On 9/21/2018 at 5:51 PM, Tanton Y_M said:

10 years ago.

284GAPV-MA05-09.JPG

284HLDKELMR-01.jpg

That was interesting. I missed this posting, likely because I dropped out of boating subjects/business for a number of years.

Apparently they decided not to build the 44' version (no longer on their website)??

I did find this spec about their 50' foot version,..

Design Philosophy http://www.friendshipyachtcompany.com/our-yachts/surfari-50/surfari-50/surfari-50-main-overview/
No wind, no problem. The SURFARI 50 is designed to get the owner to their favorite surfing, kayaking, paddle boarding or diving location quickly and comfortable. To do so in speed the SURFARI 50 is outfitted with twin 80 HP Yanmar JH 80 diesel engines, each with a geared folding 4 blade propeller which will propel the hull at 10 kts.

“Getting there” fast, comfortably and in style is the primary design feature only found on this hybrid performance hull form. The Yanmar JH 85 engines are proven to be smooth running, fuel efficient and quiet. The expected speeds under power have been calculated to approach ten knots at cruising speed

Only 10 knots from those twin 80hp engines.

Excessive Draft
The SURFARI 50 is a boldly styled yacht in appearance, with powerful sheer line and low-profile deckhouse. The SURFARI 50 is designed with variable (draft) between 5.5’ and 8.5’ with the hydraulically operated lifting bulb keel or a fixed draft of only 6’-7” the yacht has been designed to allow access to secluded anchorages and coastal waterfront homes.

I keep seeing these multiple references to this vessel being very capable of speed under power and sail,...BUT I am really having a problem determining exactly what she actually has attained in real life????

And now I see she is for sale already? (2.8 million !!)

Its a custom boat for a guy with a lot of cash who's got a Phd in leisure, built to high spec and designed (albeit a little out of the box) by an accomplished designer. 

If it fits the original owner's design brief, which I think it appears to, isn't that all that really matters?

Personally, I dig the concept, think that the min draft ain't bad, and 10 knots under power for this type of 50 footer isn't bad either, and the twin engines, even though they're not that far apart, probably provide added manoeuvrability  around the dock.

Those sport fishing chairs are the bomb, the close to water fold out transom looks great for calmer water boarding, chilling or swimming, and the whole one level cabin house/ cockpit is a great feature.

The boat might not be for everyone, but IMHO, I think it looks like it accomplishes what it set out to do in the first place, which is to provide a great on the water platform for other water sports and maybe a bit of coastal cruising and daysailing.

20 hours ago, brian eiland said:

I keep seeing these multiple references to this vessel being very capable of speed under power and sail,...BUT I am really having a problem determining exactly what she actually has attained in real life????

And now I see she is for sale already? (2.8 million !!)

The owner of Merilee spent a shitload of money and a couple of years refitting and detailing to the max a Herreschoff NY40 that was completed ~2017 - 2018.  It's now for sale.

44 minutes ago, Veeger said:

If you're in the market for this type of boat,  you might want to consider this one....   https://heymanyachts.com/in-production/yachts/41-pph-updated-april-2020/

That was a nice presentation ...the graphics in particular.

But again, not exactly a shallow water exploration vessel

Shallow Draft is KING
There's one other aspect of a cat that really adds to their fun. They have shallow draft! You can go exploring, many times right up to the shore. You can go where other boats only dream of; mangroves, rivers, coves. You can even beach the bows. You can fish the flats and reefs from the Bahamas to the Pacific atolls.

Speaking of Pacific atolls,..
http://www.runningtideyachts.com/archives/FishZone1.php

Imagine being one of the few vessels in the world that could reach this remote destination on its own bottom,...and then be able to fully explore the shallow lagoons and fish the reefs.

or how about this fishing under sail catamaran,..
http://www.runningtideyachts.com/archives/TaraTour1.php

This design by Lock Crowther  was the inspiration for my drawing up my version
image.png.aea7b8a1d38a7322a1d74473ffb95de8.png

http://www.runningtideyachts.com/gamefishing/

• Like 1

If I were suggesting a 'stock design' for him, or another person I think I take a close look at this vessel, a Seawind 1260.

Interesting video here,
https://youtu.be/Hh-0pspWJBA

Some good photos here,
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2021/seawind-1260-owners-version-2767800/

One of these vessels could be had for approx 400K, compared with 2.8 M he paid for that Surfari vessel.

• 3 months later...

Was watching the show "Second Wind: The Tale of A Sailor" on Maryland Public TV.    One of the show's sponsors was North Sails - In the North "Ad" they showed Jimmy Buffet's boat.

• 3 weeks later...

We saw the boat in at the Newport show that year - and I mean “saw” in the literal sense: you could look but you couldn’t touch, whole thing was roped off. This in a show where you can walk around a 65’ Gunboat or a custom-outfitted Nordhavn like you own it.

I was very intrigued by the design, and it looks a lot better in person than the photos, but very put off by the attitude.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

SemiSalt:Fast sailboat.

alphafb552: Fast under power. Most motorboats in that size range have engine (s) installed neart the stern.

896Frames.jpg

Did you rake the mast because you didn't want it to interfere with the head or is it for another reason?

Panoramix.

The Head location is not the reason. With a metal boat the mast can be stepped on deck with relatively little interference in the interior. No, the main reason on this boat is for the performance orientation and to be versatile. The rake is permanent to be able to sail with the jib alone; fast under just about any conditions and with no lee helm. The large main is for light air performance and, under full sail should be reefed in moderate wind. Other advantages for a rake mast; a longer luff with a tauter stay. aerodynamically speaking, the swept -back wind effect, probably of slight value at the relatively low wind speeds yachts operate on.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tanton Y_M said:

Panoramix.

The Head location is not the reason. With a metal boat the mast can be stepped on deck with relatively little interference in the interior. No, the main reason on this boat is for the performance orientation and to be versatile. The rake is permanent to be able to sail with the jib alone; fast under just about any conditions and with no lee helm. The large main is for light air performance and, under full sail should be reefed in moderate wind. Other advantages for a rake mast; a longer luff with a tauter stay. aerodynamically speaking, the swept -back wind effect, probably of slight value at the relatively low wind speeds yachts operate on.

Thanks for the nice photos detailing the scantling of the frames and stringers. Looks like a stout boat by any standards!

On 4/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, brian eiland said:

One of these vessels could be had for approx 400K, compared with 2.8 M he paid for that Surfari vessel.

As noted on page 1 of this topic, Jimmy Buffet's estimated net worth is $450 USD. Say he has half that wealth invested at 5%: he could buy four Surfafis a year on just the interest.

So, yeah. If he doesn't like the result, he can take it out past the reef, open the seacocks, and buy something different -- and not lose one minute thinking about the price tag. 

39 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

As noted on page 1 of this topic, Jimmy Buffet's estimated net worth is $450 USD. Say he has half that wealth invested at 5%: he could buy four Surfafis a year on just the interest.

So, yeah. If he doesn't like the result, he can take it out past the reef, open the seacocks, and buy something different -- and not lose one minute thinking about the price tag. 

That's $450M USD, as in million.

16 hours ago, Tanton Y_M said:

The large main is for light air performance and, under full sail should be reefed in moderate wind.

You know that some self-important old salt is going to complain that "the boat is so tender you can't carry full main in a sailing breeze."

Rasputin22. I like this form of construction in an aluminum boat, especially with chine (s). Using standard extrusions out the shelf, much cheaper that manufacturing frames for example. No need to snipe for self fairing stringers against the shell and, sitting atop the internals.

SemiSalt. I know what you mean! I designed this boat not as a motorsailer, but as an exciting vessel under power or sails. You can always lop off 5 ' of mast.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:21 PM, Mid said:

Thanks for the video of his album,...haven't listened tio his music in a long time. I ended up going to the islands myself when he came out with that album, A1A.

Wish this virus thing could end, and we could make another trip down there like the old days

• Like 1

Jimmy Buffet was here in Annapolis making some sort of music video. They let him up on the Thomas Point Lighthouse to record some footage. It's in one of the local rags. I grabbed a copy last night but I haven't read it yet.