Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is true for short and medium term profit, which is what both management and wall street really care about.   It is really NOT the way to long term profit, rather it is often the way to long term

it will help if evry buddy keeps their fucking traps shut!!!, The Man isn't that vigilant so if everybody keeps quiet all Rain Man will really deal with is the shame.

Point of Information, you are describing our parliament but it's an easy mistake to make.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Tying off a tumblehome to bull rails could present a challenge in Equimalt.:ph34r:

Electric propulsion in America's newest destroyer.

U.S. Navy destroyer USS Zumwalt arrives in Esquimalt Monday

Should really be in the Ugly Boat Admiration Forum. 

14 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Tying off a tumblehome to bull rails could present a challenge in Equimalt.:ph34r:

Electric propulsion in America's newest destroyer.

U.S. Navy destroyer USS Zumwalt arrives in Esquimalt Monday

No bull rails in those dock shots, just cleats and bollards.

Did the Zumwalt really visit Canada or was it staged ?

Yes, they're in town. I saw it tied up on the Pacific side of the Panama Canal right after it lost propulsion and hurt itself during the transit.

It looks like a bloody Empire Star Destroyer. And it's BIG. 600' long and 14,565 Long Tons if we believe Wikipedia. (A WWII Yorktown class aircraft carrier was 19,800 L.T. for comparison). A Ticonderoga class cruiser is 567' and 9600 L.T. 

Calling is a destroyer is a bit crazy.

Perhaps the Navy is doing what the yacht brokers have been doing for years now - a Destroyer IS more or less "entry level" in the Navy isn't it?

16 hours ago, kinardly said:

Should really be in the Ugly Boat Admiration Forum. 

You know I can't do that, Tom will point out it is a "commercial" vessel and is not allowed into the society.:)

10 hours ago, olaf hart said:

No bull rails in those dock shots, just cleats and bollards.

Did the Zumwalt really visit Canada or was it staged ?

We are not sure, it's a stealth boat...

Have you seen our stealth bull rails? Oh, wait, of course you haven't:ph34r:

Related image

Bull rails, a threatened species, are to be protected from capitalist cleatists, who consider them a non merchantable item, the NDP goverment and federal agencies have announced. 33 harbours to have cleats removed, fingers built and bull rails installed.

BullRailSafeBC announces funding to 35 harbours | Powell River Peak

On 3/13/2019 at 9:11 AM, IStream said:

With $33M they could fit out every marina on the list with a complete set of cleats...Assuming the horse is thirsty, of course.

Cleats would require a consultant firm to create a design that was both multicultural and with the lowest carbon footprint, anti theft and pleasing to the eye. WCB would have to create a new CleatSafe program for marina trade workers safety around them, perhaps an orange tea cozy of soft plastic with a 6 inch solas reflective band. Schools would have to include it in the cirriculum, the Boater Operator Card test would need a special cleat endorsement, the cleats would have to be made in Canada, first nations would have to be consulted, Transport Canada would have to approve the design, an election will happen during this process, Fisheries will have to approve after testing long term for cleatjuices....

• Like 2

Is it just me or has the full moon been given the Hollywood superhero blockbuster treatment is recent years? First there was the old fashioned Harvest Moon, then we got the Super Moon, now they're adding various superlative prefixes to the damn thing. I applaud any effort to get people to look up from their screens but is this really necessary?

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD Grampa Simpson The Christian Restoration Association cartoon text yellow comics vertebrate fiction

22 minutes ago, IStream said:

Is it just me or has the full moon been given the Hollywood superhero blockbuster treatment is recent years? First there was the old fashioned Harvest Moon, then we got the Super Moon, now they're adding various superlative prefixes to the damn thing. I applaud any effort to get people to look up from their screens but is this really necessary?

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD Grampa Simpson The Christian Restoration Association cartoon text yellow comics vertebrate fiction

This moon heralds the return of the earthworms to the surface again from hibernation. It's more an Alberta thing. Farmers, eh?

Another case of too much media, not enough attention span.  Has anybody noticed that US media are now giving “winter storm names” to every low pressure system that comes through?  Flatlanders having a case of hurricane envy?  I’ve already forgotten what the name of last weeks’ “storm” was.    It was just winter...  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, toddster said:

Another case of too much media, not enough attention span.  Has anybody noticed that US media are now giving “winter storm names” to every low pressure system that comes through?  Flatlanders having a case of hurricane envy?  I’ve already forgotten what the name of last weeks’ “storm” was.    It was just winter...  

Yes.  Dumbest thing ever. 

6 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Cleats would require a consultant firm to create a design that was both multicultural and with the lowest carbon footprint, anti theft and pleasing to the eye. WCB would have to create a new CleatSafe program for marina trade workers safety around them, perhaps an orange tea cozy of soft plastic with a 6 inch solas reflective band. Schools would have to include it in the cirriculum, the Boater Operator Card test would need a special cleat endorsement, the cleats would have to be made in Canada, first nations would have to be consulted, Transport Canada would have to approve the design, an election will happen during this process, Fisheries will have to approve after testing long term for cleatjuices....

You missed the environmental impact study and the consultations with stakeholder groups.

That shouldn't take more than 5 years.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You missed the environmental impact study and the consultations with stakeholder groups.

That shouldn't take more than 5 years.

Then there's the need for bilingual cleats, which will require two licensing bodies, Cleats Canada and Taquet Quebec.

23 hours ago, toddster said:

Hey, these aren't just 'storms' we're talkin' 'bout here. They're BOMB CYCLONES. They need names.

33 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Then there's the need for bilingual cleats, which will require two licensing bodies, Cleats Canada and Taquet Quebec.

My first thought was that they should just have equal numbers of English and French cleats on the dock, thereby doubling the number installed. Win/win! Upon consideration, however, they'd probably end up mounting them like this for some reason or other having to do with your inscrutable Federal versus Provincial politics.

SeaSense Nylon Dock Cleat 3-Inch, Pr Closed Base

26 minutes ago, IStream said:

My first thought was that they should just have equal numbers of English and French cleats on the dock

Then there is the problem of clockwise and counter-clockwise cleats. Not a problem with bull rails.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

STMQ, Societe de Taquet Maritime du Quebec

On 3/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Bull City said:

Then there is the problem of clockwise and counter-clockwise cleats. Not a problem with bull rails.

Definitely still a problem. With bull rails there are over and under versions. 

1 hour ago, DDW said:

Definitely still a problem. With bull rails there are over and under versions. 

The under firsts are doing it wrong, unless they are using hemp over 1", in which case it does not matter at all.

So the gubberment will sidestep all that counterclockwise cleat confusion and approve this Canada Goose Cleat. You've seen what mess they leave behind on your mooring lines.

facet cleat.JPG

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The under firsts are doing it wrong, unless they are using hemp over 1", in which case it does not matter at all.

That's only for those who sweat their lines profusely...:wacko:

3 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

So the gubberment will sidestep all that counterclockwise cleat confusion and approve this Canada Goose Cleat. You've seen what mess they leave behind on your mooring lines.

facet cleat.JPG

The Quebec Goose Cleat is proving a little more involved.

d7ea73e0de0e7a6d408ba70c7005b95e.jpg

• Like 1

Good to see that the two factions are co-existing somewhere.

At least those bull rails won't slime and splinter your lines. I've seen both in several places in Canada, and in every location where I've encountered this, the cleats are in use and the bull rails not. Even Canadians prefer cleats is seems.

1 minute ago, DDW said:

At least those bull rails won't slime and splinter your lines. I've seen both in several places in Canada, and in every location where I've encountered this, the cleats are in use and the bull rails not. Even Canadians prefer cleats is seems.

I think they're just cleat-curious. It's a phase, they revert to being bull rail normies after a while.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

I do have to admit that I am firmly in the cleat crowd.

IMG_2069 - Copy.JPG

Those are a cruel example of a bull rail. They should be soft, pliable and rounded, like grandma's butt on a bar stool...:(

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, IStream said:

I think they're just cleat-curious. It's a phase, they revert to being bull rail normies after a while.

Next thing you know, there'll be conversion therapies...

• Like 1

Probably, though as a card-carrying libtard I'm in favor of cleats on bull rails so everyone can do what they feel most comfortable with. What happens between consenting boats and docks is really none of my business. 

• Like 1
On 3/22/2019 at 7:24 PM, py26129 said:

STMQ, Societe de Taquet Maritime du Quebec

The wrong consultant got hired, it should be "Société des taquets maritimes du Québec."

You would think the police up here would be more tolerant of superheroes trying to help them but I guess they don't like being upstaged. No respect for a guy who seems to get the crap beaten out of him more than other superheroes before he saves the day. https://bc.ctvnews.ca/man-in-batman-costume-an-unwanted-distraction-during-police-incident-rcmp-1.4356084

#respectbatman

Launched the boat today, just after lunch. First line around a bull rail, and first splinter. Several actually, stuck in my hand, a few more still on the lines. 

These are and evil scourge and must be expunged and exorcised from the earth! Burn them all!!!

OK, the USA gave the world random mass murder, Canada, bull rails. Which I ask is worse? While the consequences to the victims of mass murder are harsh, the chance of actually experiencing it is extremely low (less than being struck by lightening). Bull rails on the other hand, you are sure to be exposed to again and again and again - everyone who boats in Canada is a victim of this crime against humanity. I deduce that bull rails are worse. 

I’m petitioning my marina to install the mighty bull rail. All hail thou holiest of holies.

Spent 4 years gillnetting and seining in Prince William Sound.  Always bullrails.  When you are constantly using the docks to repair holes in your net cleats just create more holes with all the snagging.  Not every harbor has a wide, empty float plane dock to use for net repair, so cleat less docks are nice.

I'd say this is a first world problem, but judging by all the disgusting fish farms Canada isn't exactly a first world nation

5 hours ago, chester said:

Welcome Brother Woah!

Praise the bull rail and pass the tweezers. It is a form of flagelation

Yours in the Bull Rail

Brother James.

10 hours ago, kdock44 said:

Spent 4 years gillnetting and seining in Prince William Sound.  Always bullrails.  When you are constantly using the docks to repair holes in your net cleats just create more holes with all the snagging.  Not every harbor has a wide, empty float plane dock to use for net repair, so cleat less docks are nice.

I'd say this is a first world problem, but judging by all the disgusting fish farms Canada isn't exactly a first world nation

That's the first legitimate argument I've heard for bull rails. I think we may be on to something. Do all the sailboats in Canada have gillnets aboard?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, IStream said:

That's the first legitimate argument I've heard for bull rails. I think we may be on to something. Do all the sailboats in Canada have gillnets aboard?

You mean saving your beer from rolling in the drink isn't a legit reason?

The gillnets are loaded when the trapline is closed for the spring meltup. After the Worm Moon.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Worm Moon

Is that one of the Bull Rail high holy days?
All Hail The Mighty Bull Rail

Yours in the Splinters of Truth
Brother James

The worms have arisen, the mighty bull rail trees will soon sprout new growth...bull rails will soon be polished clean by visiting boaters. By shifting these visitors around the docks, soon all the bull rails are clean for the summer.:D

• Like 1

They must have worn the docks smooth in PWS. The wood plank docks in southern Van Isle combined with the Crappiest Wood Bull Rails Possible would tear your gill nets to shreds. Cleats would seem like Heaven on Earth after that. 

I've seen bull rails made from teak with rounded edges, they weren't too bad - at least with the splinters and slime. Still takes 3x as long to tie up.

More British Columbia heritage, the Davidson. This one has a full restore. Most of them are dead by now.

Note to COTHC, that those are not "cleats" and you have to "belay" to them.

BullRailSafeBC has determined that cleats should be called "Horned Fife Rails" instead of the invasive "cleat" nomenclature that has threatened to spread like Eurasian Milfoil through our distinct language, eh?

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/new-westminster-14-davidson-sailboat/6858988646.html

00Y0Y_7ohg86xletn_600x450.jpg

4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

More British Columbia heritage, the Davidson. This one has a full restore. Most of them are dead by now.

Note to COTHC, that those are not "cleats" and you have to "belay" to them.

BullRailSafeBC has determined that cleats should be called "Horned Fife Rails" instead of the invasive "cleat" nomenclature that has threatened to spread like Eurasian Milfoil through our distinct language, eh?

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/new-westminster-14-davidson-sailboat/6858988646.html

00Y0Y_7ohg86xletn_600x450.jpg

This could go into cool boats to admire. Gotta like the duck. I likes ducks.

Have always been a fan of Peking duck. Unfortunately good Chinese food is hard to find in Texas. MAGA hats and all of that. 

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Yum, duck. Moo shu duck in particular.

DSC_0038.JPG

Darn you Ish. Now my mouth is watering. Guess I’ll have a bowl of oatmeal.

Just for clarification, the English (or in Quebecois Jouale, the 'Hainglish) never settled Canada.  It was the Scots.

Just look at Poutine, no 'Hainglish would ever develop a potato culture.  It was a Scot in Montreal running a pataterie.

Montreal actually has a couple of public beaches.  Really old shipping quays that were unused, so ship in a few metric buttloads of sand and call it a public beach.

They even have bollards.

And bullrails.

The ankle breaking bullrails were such a danger to the general public, they've even had to erect a fence to keep the populace safe from the scourge.

montreal-que-may-30-2015-a-view-of-the-c

34 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Just for clarification, the English (or in Quebecois Jouale, the 'Hainglish) never settled Canada.  It was the Scots.

Just look at Poutine, no 'Hainglish would ever develop a potato culture.  It was a Scot in Montreal running a pataterie.

Montreal actually has a couple of public beaches.  Really old shipping quays that were unused, so ship in a few metric buttloads of sand and call it a public beach.

They even have bollards.

And bullrails.

The ankle breaking bullrails were such a danger to the general public, they've even had to erect a fence to keep the populace safe from the scourge.

montreal-que-may-30-2015-a-view-of-the-c

Fences, bollards and bullrails. Just the kind of fencing off of theologic syncretism you'd expect from colonial French petite bourgeoisie. Here's something reasonable and useful - you can't have it. 

Note in the video that "Eh?" is a Scottish invention, likely ingrained, coming from the reply to that age old statement, "Last call":D

Thanks to the Scots, we have bars in airports, a trans continental railway, the telephone and the province of New Scotland, along with Aberdeen, Saskatchewan.  http://www.aberdeen.ca/

19 hours ago, Elegua said:

Fences, bollards and bullrails. Just the kind of fencing off of theologic syncretism you'd expect from colonial French petite bourgeoisie. Here's something reasonable and useful - you can't have it. 

Damn Papists. (Where’s the purple font)?

5 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Note in the video that "Eh?" is a Scottish invention, likely ingrained, coming from the reply to that age old statement, "Last call":D

Thanks to the Scots, we have bars in airports, a trans continental railway, the telephone and the province of New Scotland, along with Aberdeen, Saskatchewan.  http://www.aberdeen.ca/

If you look at the history of the British Empire it quickly becomes apparent that the Scots played an outsize role in the construction of it.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

If you look at the history of the British Empire it quickly becomes apparent that the Scots played an outsize role in the construction of it.

This couldn't be true. I have done a 5 minute Google Image search of "Scotland Marina" Images, and I don't see a single bull rail. 

28 minutes ago, Bull City said:

This couldn't be true. I have done a 5 minute Google Image search of "Scotland Marina" Images, and I don't see a single bull rail. 

They banned them during the Clearances, and they went underground.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, olaf hart said:

I always thought bull rails were due to the French Influence, they had no idea of how to make proper cleats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_cleat

Did they invent French Toast, too?:P French fries? French curve? The hairdryer? Oh wait...

Origin of cleat

1350–1400; Middle English clete wedge, cognate with Old High German klōz lump, ball, Dutch kloot;
11 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

They must be an endangered  species in Tassie, the way they protect them.

Wouldn't want them to get damaged!

Tas cleats.jpg

A bull rail for seniors from Cruisers Forum to step off, a limited mobility rail. They don't even have to bend over that far to tie under it.

Also the elevated rail is able to sever dock lines tied to that hazardous cleat. The

On 2/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Zonker said:

What? You have illegal cheese? 

Or do you hate the French that much?

@Zonker I know this is replying to an old post but here goes. We used to visit my mum’s mum in Chatham, Ontario quit a bit. Two things I remember her saying are “ That darn Ted Armstrong is out to get the Maple Leafs”. He was a ref. Also many times when talking about the French Canadians she prefaced it with “Damn”. So being an impressionable youngster I thought all citizens of Quebec were “Damn French Canadians”. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

They must be an endangered  species in Tassie, the way they protect them.

Wouldn't want them to get damaged!

Tas cleats.jpg

Hey, you can see our play house in the background.

To be fair to Kettering Marina, the cleats were there long before the bull rails.

They are on top of a later barrier to stop swell getting into the marina on the left of that “attenuator”.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, Norse Horse said:

Those are a cruel example of a bull rail. They should be soft, pliable and rounded, like grandma's butt on a bar stool...:(

You forgot “And slimey”.

All hail......

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

The red one to the right? Some playhouse.......

Not the boat, it looks like an old VO 60, been there since the last S2H. Had the engine running this morning, so may be moving out.

we are fixing up an old place in Ferry Rd.

15 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Not the boat, it looks like an old VO 60, been there since the last S2H. Had the engine running this morning, so may be moving out.

we are fixing up an old place in Ferry Rd.

VO 60? S2H?