Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

3 minutes ago, Bull City said:

It would take me half an hour to do that.

It really doesn't, and it keeps the kids entertained. That said there's no reason for a grown up to do it.

What's with mounting the cleats so far from the edge of the pontoon? No wonder they don't like them if that's how they fit them. I hope they have enough ladders for the accidental swimmers to get out.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after all this time we should give the Americans the 'real' explanation for bull rails. It dates back to 1963 when we were considering single payer healthcare. There were obvious cost issues and t

Way up thread I think I proposed using powder actuated fasteners. These will drive a 20 penny spike through the flange of a steel I beam. You could jump off the boat, and have 4 cleats down before the

Point of Information, you are describing our parliament but it's an easy mistake to make.

Posted Images

On 8/2/2020 at 8:51 AM, IStream said:

You know, if you just tilt your head sideways a little, those cleats sure look an awful lot like 5G antennae...

Genius!

Huawei is getting back at Canada for that extra long vacation they made princess whatzerface do.

• 2 months later...

Cool - couldn't decide between bull rails or cleats so they left them all off. 

One good thing about Covid is that it has saved me from bull rails this year. Won't let me in to bitch about it. Haven't seen the trawler in over a year now.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:21 PM, Bull City said:

I spotted this in Milatos, a village in Crete. I'm not sure what you would call it. There was no one around to ask.

IMG_4726.thumb.jpg.59afd36d3e95d3f19af2efa819d27d58.jpg

That would be a minotaur rail (duh). Just ask any Cretan.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, Bull City said:

There is still much to be done on this topic. I feared it was languishing. Found this on Yahoo. I don't know what the f**k they're talking about.

6022956_bullrail.thumb.png.810b852050f7e1b34738eebabfe179a5.png

It seems that they are advocating a technique which makes it easier to fill your mooring line with splinters, by letting it be dragged around the sharp edges of the bull rail.  This is important advice for every sailor who is fed up with the tedious painlessness of handling splinter-free lines.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

There is still much to be done on this topic. I feared it was languishing. Found this on Yahoo. I don't know what the f**k they're talking about.

6022956_bullrail.thumb.png.810b852050f7e1b34738eebabfe179a5.png

Probably never tied to a bull rail.

If you try and cast off from the boat, pulling the dock line under OR over the rail, at best it will end up abraded and full of splinters. At worst it will jam.

People who actually use bull rails untie their lines at the dock and toss them aboard, then get on the boat.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Probably never tied to a bull rail.

If you try and cast off from the boat, pulling the dock line under OR over the rail, at best it will end up abraded and full of splinters. At worst it will jam.

People who actually use bull rails untie their lines at the dock and toss them aboard, then get on the boat.

I will on occasion use a turn around a bull rail to spring off a dock, but I will admit I prefer doing it with round pipe bullrails.

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

The whole read is here, with pictures. It's still a word salad. https://captnmike.com/2012/08/06/how-to-tie-your-boat-to-a-bull-rail-part-1/

Why doesn't he use the perfectly good cleats on top of the bull rails? Don't think I'll be paying too much atention to him....................

^^ This. First of all, the bull rail depicted in the explanation is a beautifully sanded and varnished piece of fine hardwood. This is a museum piece. He should include a bit about tying to  the nastiest bit of weathered, splintery, pressure treated lumber he can find. And then there's the f'ing cleats. If it takes two parts and 3 pages and 20 photographs per part, wouldn't a cleat be easier? But of course it would....

• Like 2
On 12/28/2020 at 9:13 PM, Ishmael said:

The whole read is here, with pictures. It's still a word salad. https://captnmike.com/2012/08/06/how-to-tie-your-boat-to-a-bull-rail-part-1/

Here is some insight offered in Part 2:

"Some docks only have a Bull Rail so being able to properly and safely tie a boat to adock that has a Bull Rail is an important skill to have."

image.png.667d18144143fbcc6ced55b71abd82b1.png

On 12/30/2020 at 6:53 PM, DDW said:

May be true, but it's like saying "knowing how to treat venereal disease is an important skill to have". Much better avoided, if possible. 

Now that is funny.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Was the SA website screwed up until about an hour ago, or was it just me?

Thank you, thank you.

It was just you. We were all thoroughly enjoying ourselves and laughing at your hapless attempts to log in.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, IStream said:
45 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Was the SA website screwed up until about an hour ago, or was it just me?

Thank you, thank you.

It was just you. We were all thoroughly enjoying ourselves and laughing at your hapless attempts to log in.

I guess that @Bull City hadn't paid up for Sailing Anarchy Gold.

Fees are going up, but if Bull passes me a few grand, I think that I may be able to persuade Scot to give Bull a discount.

Perhaps this thread title should be changed to "Looking forward to the invention of Covid vaccine in Canada". After doing a much better job than the Trump administration in controlling the pandemic, Canada appears to have gone off the rails in vaccinations. Maybe they put the Bull Rail committee in charge? 

I am headed back shortly toward the Land of Bull Rails, having found a mark to deliver my boat across the border. Logistically complicated as the boat (this is the trawler) has to be recommissioned and launched, driven across the Haro and cleared through customs, then I have to immediately haul it again in Washington to do the bottom work and other upgrades (planned for over a year ago). I'm trying to list from memory all the things that need to be done, valves that need to be closed or opened, breakers on or off, etc. so it doesn't sink. But at least at Roche harbor I can reacquaint myself with the horrors of bull rails - although Roche has a combination of those and ugly wooden cleats. I think that is to ease the shock as you decend the docking hierarchy heading NW. 

4 minutes ago, DDW said:

Perhaps this thread title should be changed to "Looking forward to the invention of Covid vaccine in Canada". After doing a much better job than the Trump administration in controlling the pandemic, Canada appears to have gone off the rails in vaccinations. Maybe they put the Bull Rail committee in charge? 

I am headed back shortly toward the Land of Bull Rails, having found a mark to deliver my boat across the border. Logistically complicated as the boat (this is the trawler) has to be recommissioned and launched, driven across the Haro and cleared through customs, then I have to immediately haul it again in Washington to do the bottom work and other upgrades (planned for over a year ago). I'm trying to list from memory all the things that need to be done, valves that need to be closed or opened, breakers on or off, etc. so it doesn't sink. But at least at Roche harbor I can reacquaint myself with the horrors of bull rails - although Roche has a combination of those and ugly wooden cleats. I think that is to ease the shock as you decend the docking hierarchy heading NW. 

The problem with the vaccine is that we don't make it, so we have to source it from elsewhere. Trudeau rightly figured that if Trump got back in, he wouldn't let any vaccine across the border, so Trudeau made deals with the European manufacturers. As it turns out, Biden also is not letting any vaccine across the border, likely as retribution for burning the White House, so that would have been a good move except the Europeans are having problems with production lines and also have issues letting any vaccine out. If we had the vaccine we probably would be far along right now, much of the distribution details and infrastructure are sorted.

If there is any lessons to be learned here, it is that important things like medicine should be capable of being produced in-country. We have the expertise, we just don't have the facilities. I hope somebody is right now getting things organized so we do have in-house production in future.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

As it turns out, Biden also is not letting any vaccine across the border, likely as retribution for burning the White House,

A 209yo huff would be a significant step on the path to Irish levels of grudge-bearing.

• Like 1

The outsourcing of critical infrastructure is a widespread problem. I wonder if that is the reason cleats are unavailable in Canada, they all seem to be made in China. 

In the vaccine world it does appear to be "every man (or country) for himself". I got the second shot of Pfizer about 3 weeks ago now. There was about a 2 day loophole in the California distribution system (which has generally been a total cluster fuck) that I managed to jump through. 

It'll take a few months but the US will soon have more than it can possibly use. My guess is Biden will want to practice vaccine diplomacy with our neighbors to the north and south out of immediate self-interest to eliminate potential infection pools before heading farther afield to exercise soft power against China and Russia.

3 hours ago, IStream said:

It'll take a few months but the US will soon have more than it can possibly use. My guess is Biden will want to practice vaccine diplomacy with our neighbors to the north and south out of immediate self-interest to eliminate potential infection pools before heading farther afield to exercise soft power against China and Russia.

It's the right thing to do - for everyone.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DDW said:

The outsourcing of critical infrastructure is a widespread problem. I wonder if that is the reason cleats are unavailable in Canada, they all seem to be made in China. 

In the vaccine world it does appear to be "every man (or country) for himself". I got the second shot of Pfizer about 3 weeks ago now. There was about a 2 day loophole in the California distribution system (which has generally been a total cluster fuck) that I managed to jump through. 

They don't need cleats in Canada. They have a superior method for tying up boats: Bull rails.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, IStream said:

Biden will want to practice vaccine diplomacy with our neighbors to the north and south out of immediate self-interest to eliminate potential infection pools

Texas and The Dakotas?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Texas and The Dakotas?

Whoa, whoa, hold on there. Canada and Mexico are one thing but let's not go crazy.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Bull City said:

It's the right thing to do - for everyone.

Agreed. If I were in charge, I'd keep those vaccine factories running full tilt for the benefit of the whole world. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

They don't need cleats in Canada. They have a superior method for tying up boats: Bull rails.

C'mon now. We been through all this. There was a time when stone knives and bearskins was all we had. That was then. This is now. We've evolved. There are better ways to tie a boat up than wrap a vine around a stick. That is why every boat you see has cleats on the deck, not sticks lying on their sides. Especially nasty, splintery, pressure treated wood sticks. 

Tying a boat to Bull rails is kinda like fighting SARS-CoV-2 with leeches and medicine sticks. You can try it, but it isn't effective.  Much better to use steel forgings and a little mRNA. 

• Like 1

I much prefer bull rails. One has never tried to break my foot and I can tie anywhere I want. if I could, I'd be a Canadian, live in Canada, and tie my boat to bull rails.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

I much prefer bull rails. One has never tried to break my foot and I can tie anywhere I want. if I could, I'd be a Canadian, live in Canada, and tie my boat to bull rails.

We could make you an honorary Canadian. I think I have a form somewhere.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
9 hours ago, IStream said:

Biden will want to practice vaccine diplomacy with our neighbors to the north and south out of immediate self-interest to eliminate potential infection pools

Texas and The Dakotas?

Has anyone actually invented a technology which might allow diplomacy to be interfaced with Texas?

7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Has anyone actually invented a technology which might allow diplomacy to be interfaced with Texas?

S&W 9MM?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

That last one you can do. If you choose to be miserable. Just don't hook your foot under a bull rail, or jump down on one from the deck and break your ankle, and tie anywhere you want except at the huge blocks under some of them, and wrap the rope twice to keep your spring from sliding down the rail, unless of course it is a typical bull rail in which case the lethal splinters will stop the sliding and turn your dock lines into a deadly weapon, or unthread and untie that deadly weapon completely should you ever have to adjust your docklines. Other than that I like everything about them. 

Lovely country, kinda wished I lived there myself over the last 4 years. But they have brought two scourges to this Earth: Bull Rails and Poutine. 

24 minutes ago, DDW said:

But they have brought two scourges to this Earth: Bull Rails and Poutine. 

You must be kidding. What’s wrong with Poutine?

Too fancy for you?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, DDW said:

That last one you can do. If you choose to be miserable. Just don't hook your foot under a bull rail, or jump down on one from the deck and break your ankle, and tie anywhere you want except at the huge blocks under some of them, and wrap the rope twice to keep your spring from sliding down the rail, unless of course it is a typical bull rail in which case the lethal splinters will stop the sliding and turn your dock lines into a deadly weapon, or unthread and untie that deadly weapon completely should you ever have to adjust your docklines. Other than that I like everything about them. 

Lovely country, kinda wished I lived there myself over the last 4 years. But they have brought two scourges to this Earth: Bull Rails and Poutine. 

I think of poutine as Northern Nachos: best ordered and eaten with friends shortly before last call, when good judgement and better options are in short supply.

46 minutes ago, DDW said:

You forgot Bieber and Nickelback.

I think of Poutine and an attempt to slander French Fries after General Wolfe lost the Battle of the Plains of Abraham (if you consider losing your life a loss). If you are going to cook French Fries so they are like soggy slugs (it's the Canadian Way) then sure, might as well turn them into soup. Surprisingly, even French Fries in French Canada are cooked this way, so perhaps like bull rails, it is a contagious affliction. If you buy French Fries in Paris, they are never like that. 

Not going to blame you'all for Bieber and Nickelback, but there is one I forgot: sweetened iced tea. If you ask for unsweetened iced tea in Canada, they will look at you like you are speaking a Martian dialect.  At a restaurant, this leaves you with a choice of soft drinks or Canadian beer - I'm not sure which is worse. Though some of the local beers are getting better N of the 49th. 

1 hour ago, DDW said:

unsweetened iced tea 

Ah... Sweet Tea. It was the same in the South 40 years ago. The other day, our son who's visiting for a week, brought home take out lunch for us, which included fried green tomato BLTs (BLFGT). He also got a jug of ½-n-½ tea, which we had to cut further. I don't know why straight, uncut sweet tea doesn't crystalize in the glass. You can feel your teeth decaying as you drink it. 

And what about Canadian pizza? We vacationed in Nova Scotia several years. One night, we got to our B&B a little late, and the only thing we could find for dinner was a take-out pizza place. Fortunately, they also sold beer. The pizza was awful. Instead of tomato sauce, it was some kind of brown gravy. Thanks to God for the beer.

1 hour ago, DDW said:

I think of Poutine and an attempt to slander French Fries after General Wolfe lost the Battle of the Plains of Abraham (if you consider losing your life a loss). If you are going to cook French Fries so they are like soggy slugs (it's the Canadian Way) then sure, might as well turn them into soup. Surprisingly, even French Fries in French Canada are cooked this way, so perhaps like bull rails, it is a contagious affliction. If you buy French Fries in Paris, they are never like that. 

Not going to blame you'all for Bieber and Nickelback, but there is one I forgot: sweetened iced tea. If you ask for unsweetened iced tea in Canada, they will look at you like you are speaking a Martian dialect.  At a restaurant, this leaves you with a choice of soft drinks or Canadian beer - I'm not sure which is worse. Though some of the local beers are getting better N of the 49th. 

French Fries in Paris? Frites. But any student who cut their chops in Montreal will know that Poutine's principal use is as a pre-hangover food, most effective if eaten between 3 and 4 a.m. Eating it at any other time is sacrelege.

As for other elements of a so-called mercurial Canadian culinary identity, I guess it depends who you hang out with. Here is the late (god rest him) Anthony Bourdain enjoying a good old Canadian ice fishing lunch with his friend and favourite chef, Andre Picard.

15 minutes ago, Bull City said:

And what about Canadian pizza? We vacationed in Nova Scotia several years. One night, we got to our B&B a little late, and the only thing we could find for dinner was a take-out pizza place. Fortunately, they also sold beer. The pizza was awful. Instead of tomato sauce, it was some kind of brown gravy. Thanks to God for the beer.

That is definitely not a standard Nova Scotian pizza, tomato sauce is standard.

At pizza places in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, one could often get a very healthy side dish: deep fried pepperoni. Mmmmmm, good. Actually in Newfoundland I'm surprised I couldn't get the pizza deep fried, as they deep fried nearly everything. Including the cod cheeks.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:
4 hours ago, DDW said:

You forgot Bieber and Nickelback.

And Celine.

Bieber was born here but America made him what he is so we can't take the blame any more than we can take the blame for Ted Cruz.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

I've never heard of that - it sure ain't standard.

Hawaiian pizza was invented in Toronto but that's a bit of a two edged sword. :D

5 hours ago, DDW said:

Pineapple does not belong on pizza or French Fries. Like bull rails, it's just wrong. 

Pineapple on pommes frites? Blech. I'll give it a pass on pizza.

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Pineapple on pommes frites? Blech.

That would be Poutine. All kinds of inappropriate things on pommes frites.