Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

All for a good cause though.

He will be a Martyr the likes of which has not been seen since biblical times. It will start an international movement examining Bull Rails as a crime against both Nature and Humanity. Trudeau and the CTA will be brought before the Haig in chains to answer for their Sins. They will be convicted after horrifying pictures of bloody thumbs and palms pierced by huge splinters are displayed, along with Youtube videos of boats slowly drifting away from the dock while frantic crews attempt to thread a line around a rough and decaying rail, pulling the crew into the Killer Whale infested waters to a gruesome death. Normally polite and reserved Canadian landlubbers will be mortified as they gain the knowledge that a society that treats the Native Peoples so sensitively (well, at least now...) treats visiting yachtsmen with callous and abject disregard for their safety, well being, and mental health. 

All because Rain Main installed a cleat. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Point of Information, you are describing our parliament but it's an easy mistake to make.

it will help if evry buddy keeps their fucking traps shut!!!, The Man isn't that vigilant so if everybody keeps quiet all Rain Man will really deal with is the shame.

****** WARNING - GRAPHIC PHOTOS OF DEATH IN THIS POST - CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK *****     I was walking the dogs on the beach the other day and stumbled across this body. This is eith

Posted Images

Ah, the plot is revealed!

Poor @Rain Man is to become the fall guy in @DDW's sinister scheme to create an international crisis as a device in his vendetta against Canadian Maritime Culture.

So Rain Man will be made stateless and sent off to break rocks in some labour camp in the Canadian Arctic just so that he can be used as leverage.  And by the time of his eventual rehabilitation, poor Rain Man will be so wrecked by scurvy and frostbite and overwork that he may be barely be able to comprehend his own release.

The only way to stop this dastardly plot is for Canada to declare war on DDW's home state of California.  A few air strikes of maple syrup should be enough to force a prompt Californian surrender ... and DDW will be taken into Canadian custody, tied to a bull rail.

I was hoping the powers that be would be distracted by the corona crisis, the imminent re-opening of the border, massive government debt and the strippers at No. 5 Orange.

Should this not happen, I will keep in mind the kind thoughts of those here who appreciate my sacrifice.  May this be remembered in the future when cleats are finally accepted as a new way of life.

• Like 1

You can't bomb California with maple syrup unless it carries a proper Prop 65 Warning. The potato chips I ate yesterday carried such a warning, so the Canadian  military might want to delay 20 years and see if I get cancer, solving the problem on budget (real maple syrup is quite expensive). 

Yes, Rain Man will have to be sacrificed, a small price to pay to rid the Earth of the Original and Mortal sin that is Bull Rails. Being magnanimous, better him than me. If I am to be tied to a bull rail like Prometheus, I'd want Cormorants to peck my liver out until rescued by Hercules, so I could enter Canadian Mythology. Like Fire, the Canadian Olympians do not want cleats to be given to the common folk. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, DDW said:

Yes, Rain Man will have to be sacrificed, a small price to pay to rid the Earth of the Original and Mortal sin that is Bull Rails. Being magnanimous, better him than me.

That's very noble of you, DDW, to forego your moment of fame in order to give Rain Man a clear run into glorious martyrdom.  As the good book says, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his friend's life to save his own".

I suggest that the Memorial to Rain Man The Martyr should be a giant cleat with Rain Main atop it, in the style of Soviet heroic monuments. 

5 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I was hoping the powers that be would be distracted by the corona crisis, the imminent re-opening of the border, massive government debt and the strippers at No. 5 Orange.

really grooving to your logic here, I know the strippers would distract me!

On 8/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, DDW said:

You can't bomb California with maple syrup unless it carries a proper Prop 65 Warning. The potato chips I ate yesterday carried such a warning, so the Canadian  military might want to delay 20 years and see if I get cancer, solving the problem on budget (real maple syrup is quite expensive). 

Yes, Rain Man will have to be sacrificed, a small price to pay to rid the Earth of the Original and Mortal sin that is Bull Rails. Being magnanimous, better him than me. If I am to be tied to a bull rail like Prometheus, I'd want Cormorants to peck my liver out until rescued by Hercules, so I could enter Canadian Mythology. Like Fire, the Canadian Olympians do not want cleats to be given to the common folk. 

Cleats? We got cleats.

61WHWm8FhbL._AC_UX395_.jpg

Great boat shoes, too.

I’m a native Californian. I’ve heard of real maple syrup. Never seen or tasted it. If it comes down out of the sky I’d just wash it off and go about my day.  

I'm just looking forward to getting effing across the Cheese Curtain, don't care if I have to moor to funky splinter laden rotten bull rails.  The Old Style Pilsner and Old Dutch Salt and Vinegar potato chips more than make up for any inconvenience.  Had to cruise south to Tacoma, now working my way back to where I can at least see Canada!

On 8/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, Al Paca said:

I’m a native Californian. I’ve heard of real maple syrup. Never seen or tasted it. If it comes down out of the sky I’d just wash it off and go about my day.  

If you can wash it off it's not real :)

• Like 1

My sources tell me that Zuckerberg, Musk and Bezos are buying up everyone who makes galvanized dock cleats.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:03 AM, zenmasterfred said:

The Old Style Pilsner and Old Dutch Salt and Vinegar potato chips more than make up for any inconvenience.

But not the brown gravy on pizza. Truly disgusting. Anthony Bourdain drew the line there; he wouldn't eat it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bull City said:

But not the brown gravy on pizza. Truly disgusting. Anthony Bourdain drew the line there; he wouldn't eat it.

brown gravy on pizza??? that's not a thing

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

My sources tell me that Zuckerberg, Musk and Bezos are buying up everyone who makes galvanized dock cleats.

Galvanised cleats - one of the few things left which doesn't need software to make them work....

9 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

Galvanised cleats - one of the few things left which doesn't need software to make them work....

Bull rails don't need no stinking' software to make either!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IStream said:

Everything's a thing. 

I have never heard of that anywhere in Canada. That's disgusting.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to find it in a truck stop in Winnipeg, with a dedicated vomit trough outside.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I have never heard of that anywhere in Canada. That's disgusting.

We had it in Nova Scotia several years ago. Actually it's called Pictou County Brown Sauce Pizza, a vile concoction. There is even a recipe on-line. I guess it's the flour that made it so gravy-like. Tomato paste is nice stuff, but what's wrong with canned tomatoes?

How to make Pictou County brown sauce pizza?

• Step 3 Stir tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, sugar, celery salt, basil, onion powder, and seasoned salt into broth mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors blend, about 45 minutes more. Step 4 Whisk oil and flour into tomato mixture until pizza sauce is smooth.

•  
On 8/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, zenmasterfred said:

I'm just looking forward to getting effing across the Cheese Curtain, don't care if I have to moor to funky splinter laden rotten bull rails.  The Old Style Pilsner and Old Dutch Salt and Vinegar potato chips more than make up for any inconvenience.  Had to cruise south to Tacoma, now working my way back to where I can at least see Canada!

If you're planning to head up Desolation way, know that the f'in place is full already.  JFC I have never seen so many boats up here.  It seems things are good in Canuckistan - everybody and their dog owns a cruiser now.  Squirrel Cove is jam-packed this afternoon and it isn't even one of the nicer places to go.

If Desolation is packed, it is packed with Canucks. Arrival by pleasure boat from the USA for a non-essential trip is still banned, and there are no proposed rules in place to un-ban it, even after Aug 9. Nor do the rules in place for air and land arrivals appear to be adaptable to arrival by small boat.

Was the espresso bar in Squirrel open? 

20 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

If you're planning to head up Desolation way, know that the f'in place is full already.  JFC I have never seen so many boats up here.  It seems things are good in Canuckistan - everybody and their dog owns a cruiser now.  Squirrel Cove is jam-packed this afternoon and it isn't even one of the nicer places to go.

Damn. Maybe we'll be doing the west coast more often. I wonder what Octopus is like.

Desolation was nice up until Canada day and all of the boats with kids showed up.

We might go back in October and do our 'summer' trip in June again next year.

Octopus was busier than Squirrel/Prideaux when we were there in June but almost everyone we talked to were from Campbell River or heading further NW.

4 hours ago, climenuts said:

Desolation was nice up until Canada day and all of the boats with kids showed up.

We might go back in October and do our 'summer' trip in June again next year.

Octopus was busier than Squirrel/Prideaux when we were there in June but almost everyone we talked to were from Campbell River or heading further NW.

Just got back from 3 days out.

Newcastle was nearly full, spinnaker across and up Malaspina until we ran out of time then back to Smuggler Cove which was nearly full then spinnaker home to West Van.

You need to be places by mid afternoon at the latest or you will be a Flying Dutchman.

Just left the Juans and went down sound to the cities, Seattle, Tacotown, etc.  Fuck, I miss my canuck bros and sisters.  Had some nice anchorages but can't do the downtown city shit.  Great sail across the dreaded Straits of Juan de Fuca, 15-20, close hauled from Port Townsend to get some sea room on Pt. Partridge then the wind gradually backed and eased sheets for a reach home.  Have sailed more on this two week excursion than on any cruise in years so that was a plus and the old girl sails pretty well if I do say so myself.  Saw city dwellers up here on their boats, it seems the Juans are pretty packed too.

The pics of Squirrel look about like any August. You need to get up beyond the rapids to start thinning the crowd. Good news is a few of the remote marinas up there have cleats. 

I'm planning a September trip, done that before and saw very sparse crowds, a couple of days in the Desolation area saw not another soul. Anchored completely by myself in Prudeaux, only boat there. One boat besides us at the dock in Princess.  Trouble is everything is closed for the season, but that is a minor inconvenience. 

Still no published procedure to arrive by pleasure craft though. 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Euro style bling bling. ;) 

28CA7523-C10D-4A62-91DF-CD5912EF7187.jpeg

You could have had several hundred feet of bull rail for what that jewelry cost.

And please explain why those fasteners weren't sanded smooth and buffed.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2021 at 12:22 PM, DDW said:

Still no published procedure to arrive by pleasure craft though. 

Am I missing something?

On the Great Lakes there have been plenty of US flagged boats coming across the border, just for the change of scenery if nothing else.  Are things different on the Left Coast?

Fully vaccinated boaters from the U.S. and Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents and French citizens and permanent residents of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon (SPM) are eligible to enter Canada by boat for discretionary purposes and can come on land, anchor, moor, or come alongside another vessel in Canada. However, they must:

• 1) be asymptomatic;
  • 2) have a valid pre-arrival COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the U.S. for U.S. boaters, or in SPM for SPM boaters (antigen tests are not accepted)
  • 3) submit their mandatory information via ArriveCAN, including proof of vaccination in English or French (both vaccination doses, if applicable), and a quarantine plan; and,
  • 3) be admissible under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents must also:

• reside in the U.S.
  • be travelling from the U.S.

•  

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#s05

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

And please explain why those fasteners weren't sanded smooth and buffed.

Awww, that’s just the dock in the back of the harbour where the yard people park their workboats. 

9 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Am I missing something?

On the Great Lakes there have been plenty of US flagged boats coming across the border, just for the change of scenery if nothing else.  Are things different on the Left Coast?

My post was on the 7th, on the 9th they published the rules. The problem on the left coast appears to be getting the required molecular test within 72 hours of transit. (Well, that and bull rails.) Most of the labs near the border are not promising anything better than 4 days turn around, even for the so called "rapid tests". They are swamped with a combo of travelers and Delta. Many labs now not accepting non-symptomatic patients. I've been watching this because I am itching to get back to the bull rails so I can bitch more about them. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DDW said:

My post was on the 7th, on the 9th they published the rules. The problem on the left coast appears to be getting the required molecular test within 72 hours of transit. (Well, that and bull rails.) Most of the labs near the border are not promising anything better than 4 days turn around, even for the so called "rapid tests". They are swamped with a combo of travelers and Delta. Many labs now not accepting non-symptomatic patients. I've been watching this because I am itching to get back to the bull rails so I can bitch more about them. 

Gotcha.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:18 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

Am I missing something?

•  

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#s05

Spotted my first invader on Saturday.

BvbotMFN-XPPpjJdmyqUCyxYtI5sIi7YGNHDst6zyttodbik7UWu8Gzp4Blgb_GASwaHeA2SmliPDrc9VIxvzVZ-1xs1r6wZghsXi7hcgSLVFpFxcsBc4YKF2xv-9R6m0CC4jHPq9iZvldNaS_t3TQy6afZ4i3mcUaARIciQ7XsgAFQr9TOFLsemCiRoWPSU1G4JVhMoMn4nx2bQ_7Leg32Iqt9rOTNt2yJ-d_fYBfmfrHXXSwOMV11jlc4Yfw6dkTHNTt0rw_KB22Ja_DRmzUtO1eWJLopHTvGcV256A17OAAYr4pmGgH7xFEaQ0ktTPbIKTAq5eAgTXUizRjNTQGZmYtYsTelMBFxeADlCGXsTvz7_n1OaxPlhpsA675DFrEsoerYRGaVKiogmhWYaC7L_3sJNPAlS5CllQopHeb20OhPHT2YacssdcYv8kLuIm1NoojpjLyyq5FR8gwkWobObgm8e-rDSm16ANplRKwTo3nlyLcgdaglQkUAQDNNszfU9qEnrCDQoFGDM-ioyJCBkF0ZZ-zzthSFuszjI78ay8LgY6kxRNxRUbQ0wNg3sAdHxU2s773QzRaPlrPkhRJll7OsWWkBMZXjCII62zmRb79CEnxILfGoCLOweax-Ki7ur5yREX_EYUq-giSFskGviirup4rK_X8GqKZ1KhQOim9Ch3Z0a1NqTEliMax3RZA-Zmw986OLloY3DSoQyUyD9=w1345-h1009-no?authuser=0

I recently saw a pol in the paper saying that the marine border won't be open in the near term.