Moovie Review Threade

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Octopusse Teachere - 5/5 S I giggelled and cride throuh the holle thinge............              verrey uplifteng......

Speaking of fun, I was recently reminded of "Mystery Men".  I especially liked "the Sphynx" (Wes Studi).  And you will have to admit that "Casanova Frankenstein" is a great name for a villain.

Death to 2020, netflix.....very funny

Posted Images

A Yeare of Liveng Dangerousley - my fisrte looke at Mell Gibson, a fine storrey,  I cannotte at thisse time pointte to a generalle cause an effectte.....neede to no thisse filem.  I juste enjoinened thisse filme emensley.                             :)

4 snags                              :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

A Yeare of Liveng Dangerousley - my fisrte looke at Mell Gibson, a fine storrey,  I cannotte at thisse time pointte to a generalle cause an effectte.....neede to no thisse filem.  I juste enjoinened thisse filme emensley.                             :)

4 snags                              :)

Well, there was Linda Hunt credibly playing a man ... And Sigourney Weaver very credibly playing a hottie, as always.

• Like 1

Once upon a time in Hollywood ... liked it, 3 snags.

As with most Tarantino flicks, if you're looking for story line and sequential activity that makes sense you'll be quite disappointed. But if you just kick back, relax, and don't think it through too hard, you'll be absorbed in the great acting, dialog, and scene development.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Juliette Nacked - Wackey funn, crazey chnagese in life and desires.  Nice enddeng.               :)

3.5/4 snags                         :)

Do you have "Joe-Bob" counts for the film?  Does she have a good figure?

4 minutes ago, FoolOnTheHill said:
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Juliette Nacked - Wackey funn, crazey chnagese in life and desires.  Nice enddeng.               :)

3.5/4 snags                         :)

Do you have "Joe-Bob" counts for the film?  Does she have a good figure?

Ist notte the stratte forwarde T&A you licke.......

Ist more complexe licke life, experinence mackes you laffe at stupide thiges.              :)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7131622/videoplayer/vi1557576729?ref_=vi_nxt_ap

Went out to the Movies with Mrs. Off Watch to see "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". I am a huge Tarantino fan, note my Avatar, so I might be a little biased but this was a absolutely great movie. The music, scenery and acting really sucked me into the movie and I felt like I had a short vacation back to the Summer of 1969. Very little blood and gore which made the Wifie happy.  A feel good ending. I would have to give it 5 out of 5 Snags.

13 hours ago, Off Watch said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7131622/videoplayer/vi1557576729?ref_=vi_nxt_ap

Went out to the Movies with Mrs. Off Watch to see "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". I am a huge Tarantino fan, note my Avatar, so I might be a little biased but this was a absolutely great movie. The music, scenery and acting really sucked me into the movie and I felt like I had a short vacation back to the Summer of 1969. Very little blood and gore which made the Wifie happy.  A feel good ending. I would have to give it 5 out of 5 Snags.

Similar experience for Wifey and I

• Like 1
On 8/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

a little computer lag:? it's only been out for 40 years..

the "final" cut is being released in IMAX.  I've seen it multiple times, just thought it would be cool to see in IMAX with big sound etc.  Aug 15th and 18th only dates and limited theaters.

and yes, 60513 is a bit behind.... in more ways than one.

https://www.lionsgate.com/movies/apocalypse-now

12 minutes ago, linaszuk said:

the "final" cut is being released in IMAX.  I've seen it multiple times, just thought it would be cool to see in IMAX with big sound etc.  Aug 15th and 18th only dates and limited theaters.

and yes, 60513 is a bit behind.... in more ways than one.

https://www.lionsgate.com/movies/apocalypse-now

AN in  imax would be cool,  didn't know they were doing that.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Approaching the Unknown (2016)

I haven't looked back at all of the posts in this thread, but I think all of them might be positive reviews.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2674430/

Well here is a not so positive review...

I am not sure what to say about this movie, while scanning the movie list on Tubi TV, I came across a syfy space flick that on the surface looked interesting.

Needles to say, I did not make it very far before I stopped.  

1288791979_ApproachingtheUnknown.thumb.jpg.48b9497fd177572c1ed07d60d5acbcf1.jpg

A lot of the online reviews are positive, but I didn't find this movie worth watching at all.

I will let the Box Office for this movie speak for itself...

* Budget $1.3 million

* Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $10,232.00

Yes, you read that correctly, the total gross for this movie was $10,232.00!  That is in thousands, not millions!

This movie made all of $6,476.00 for its Opening Weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 6:58 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Downtown Abbey - Holdes true to TV storrey line and bildes fiorre futiure growthe.  If you licked the showe, youlle licke thisse moovie.  (Marey idy a hottie!)                      :)

4/4 S

She id indeed.  I look forward to seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Ad Astra the other night.. Or I should say I saw Apocalypse Now / Solaris / Interstellar...

I wish... I WISH that for once they would actually have a physicist tell them that what they are showing is bull shit...

Story was a mash up of the last 20 years of SciFi space movies. I was board and actually figured out the movie halfway through it. Played out as I expected. Even the sappy ending. Stupid plot twists and all...

• Like 1

Ad Astra: I give it minus 2 snags..  above comments are kind.  I enjoyed Gravity even though it has technical problems.. at least the cinematography was good.. there is much better sci fi on Amazon and Netflix than this movie.

Ford V Ferrari looks good.

On 6/24/2019 at 4:24 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

anyone seen Maiden yet?

4 snags

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Ad Astra: I give it minus 2 snags..  above comments are kind.  I enjoyed Gravity even though it has technical problems.. at least the cinematography was good.. there is much better sci fi on Amazon and Netflix than this movie.

I would suggest watching the documentary: "The 24 Hour War" before watching the Ford vs Ferrari movie. Still on Am Prime.

Ad Astra spoiler alert (it's OK, you really don't want to see this abortion of a movie anyway)

Here's all you need to know about this flick: Brad Pitt flings himself off a rotating radar thingy with the perfect trajectory to send him exactly to another far away spaceship. Along the way he passes through the planet's asteroid belt, fending off the asteroids with a metal door he tore off before getting flung. 

'nuff said.

44 minutes ago, wristwister said:

Ad Astra spoiler alert (it's OK, you really don't want to see this abortion of a movie anyway)

Here's all you need to know about this flick: Brad Pitt flings himself off a rotating radar thingy with the perfect trajectory to send him exactly to another far away spaceship. Along the way he passes through the planet's asteroid belt, fending off the asteroids with a metal door he tore off before getting flung. 

'nuff said.

Sondes licke Expo coude of pulde thisse rolle offe niceley.                                      :)

3 hours ago, sadug said:

I would suggest watching the documentary: "The 24 Hour War" before watching the Ford vs Ferrari movie. Still on Am Prime.

thanks for the tip. very cool doc

13 hours ago, wristwister said:

'nuff said.

Space monkeys, don't forget space monkeys.

20 hours ago, wristwister said:

'nuff said.

Too late

Already wasted my money on that one.

Could he be more monotone?

Though that was the character he was playing.

"oh wait, I'm not here to hurt you" then the irony that they all die.  sheesh

6 hours ago, sailm8 said:

Space monkeys, don't forget space monkeys.

who the F*ck bring freakin baboons into a space lab?

Why not just bring a pissed off grizzly?

An don't forget the meaningless moon version of the Road Warrior.

I just saw the movie "Yesterday" on a plane back from Europe. Cute. The premise is that a musician who can't catch a break gets hit by a bus and lands in the hospital for a couple of weeks just when some sort of "event" hits the planet and that alters reality such that a few things never existed, the most important being the Beatles. Once the musician gets out of the hospital and realizes this, he sets out to recreate their music, thereby becoming a breakout star. Complications include his smoking hot childhood friend/manager/school teacher who's been quietly in love with him her whole life but about whom he's never expressed any interest. Somehow, said smoking hot friend also has a smoking hot roommate who has no lines and who also elicits no interest from said musician.

I give it three (out of five) Snaggs. A decent airplane flick.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I hear the New Joker movie is really Dark and Violent

Its dark, but I wouldn't say its that violent compared to many films.  Has a couple of moments of dark humour in it and an interesting twist on how you view the characters.

I won't say anymore on it and risk spoiling it for others. 

On 5/25/2019 at 5:36 AM, QBF said:

Apollo 11 (2019) Documentary

This is easily one of the very best documentaries I have ever seen, and is an absolute must to watch for space enthusiasts.

And for those who think they are cool under pressure, here are the heart rates for the astronauts during liftoff:

* Armstrong: 110

* Collins: 99

* Aldrin: 88

From the review by TheGuardian.com with which I concur:

An exceptional, vibrant restoration of never-before-seen footage results in one of the most astounding films about space ever made.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/25/apollo-11-review-eye-opening-documentary-is-a-five-star-triumph

1557634017_Apollo11.1.jpg.95f91fc3b546c55b48f86c664af75f2f.jpg

"The documentary Apollo 11 starts, as the famous mission did, in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Trucks ferry massive rocket props, machinery grinds as it would in any construction zone, the sky is a crystal blue. The scene is, in a word, vibrant – so startlingly alive that for the first few minutes, I wasn’t sure if I was watching footage from 1969 or a Nasa promo shot from last year."

1399204088_Apollo11.2.jpg.039284b04bb13fd87b4bccf8b727d67b.jpg

"That present-ness is one of the film’s major feats, credit due to director Todd Douglas Miller, who has found a brilliant way to portray the first moon landing by doing nothing more than the gargantuan task of faithfully rejuvenating the historical record. The documentary is seamless curation of archival work; Miller and his team, in partnership with Nasa and the National Archives, sifted through 11,000 hours of uncatalogued audio and restored reams of original film, including hyper-detail 70mm footage that languished in the archives, boxed up and forgotten, since 1969. The result is a stunning project of historical preservation – no narration, no cutaway interviews, no recreations, just original material synced with some music and the occasional diagram."

630941870_Apollo11.3.jpg.1f0411bdbc70ff6a1e6e00fd41522165.jpg

Thought this was a pretty cool tribute:

Secrets in the Sky -  The Untold Story of Skunk Works (2019)

1305008399_SecretsintheSky-TheUntoldStoryofSkunk-Works.2.jpg.e74ad23ee68466f4ba3cccf23898e0ab.jpg

From the IMDB.com
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10452178/

In 1943, in a circus tent in Burbank, CA, a bunch of revolutionary thinkers first gathered together in secrecy to build America's first jet fighter. They were rule benders, chance takers, corner cutters-people who believed that nothing was impossible. In the decades that followed, this secret club would create some of the most iconic flying machines in history: the U-2 spy plane, the SR-71 Blackbird, the F-117 stealth bomber - each of them so unfamiliar, so far ahead of their time, that they were often mistaken for something otherworldly. Secrets in the Sky: The Untold Story of Skunk Works pulls back the veil of secrecy on Lockheed Martin's enigmatic Skunk Works program.

It features never-before-seen material: rare photos, films locked away for decades, and entries from the private journals and logbooks of Skunk Works' founder and aerospace legend, Kelly Johnson. With narration by Dennis Quaid, in Kelly Johnson's own words, the film plunges deep into a world shrouded in secrecy - where wars are won or lost not just on the battlefield, but at the design table. Secrets in the Sky: The Untold Story of Skunk Works reveals the incredible story of one small group of bootstrapping engineers and pilots whose innovative aircraft changed world history.

696889221_SecretsintheSky-TheUntoldStoryofSkunkWorks(2019).jpg.494764b0b7b8f0c97afd592196107bd1.jpg

I give this documentary three SNAGS

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a trailer for this movie, but I did find this short video on the genesis of the Skunk Works

Skunk Works, Lockheed Martin - How it began

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 1:40 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

saw the full trailer last night...   probably going to be more  action behind the scenes than on the race course..

Midway

decent action flick , kind of focused on the naval pilots...  i give it three snags because of the plane action

but where were the wildcats and what happened to the sub?

55 minutes ago, hobot said:

On Netflix....

The Laundromat, strong cast and Director who explain the "Panama Papers".

It's all pretty depressing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laundromat_(film)

what's depressing is nothing has come about the revelation and i believe the reporter has been killed  (nsat)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Midway

decent action flick , kind of focused on the naval pilots...  i give it three snags because of the plane action

but where were the wildcats and what happened to the sub?

Impressive in many ways, but cartoon physics was distracting.  The flight physics especially.  Good storytelling.  Now I want to watch the '76 movie again.  It won't be the same without Sensurround.

Ford V Ferarri

I felt my balls double in size just by watching this flick.

I'm a big fan of cars of the era, I used to restore old Mustangs. Loved the whole car development story, Ford politics, and of course the racing. I think there may have been dialog too, I wasn't paying attention to that.

My wife was bored silly.

I give it 4 snags (on a scale of 5, right?)

My wife gives it 1.5 snags.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wristwister said:

Ford V Ferarri

I'm a big fan of cars of the era, I used to restore old Mustangs. Loved the whole car development story, Ford politics, and of course the racing. I think there may have been dialog too, I wasn't paying attention to that.

My wife was bored silly.

as suggested in another thread ,   watch "the 24 hour war"

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, wristwister said:

Ford V Ferarri

My wife was bored silly.

I give it a full 5 snags. They could take all the acting out of it too and I wouldn't care, I could just watch the cars. I decided I really want a GT40 too! A quick look at cars.com shows them to not be depreciating like the average used car, so my plan is stymied for the moment :(

* funny thing is Ford didn't make GT40s for quite some time. While they were not making them, SuperPerformance started making them and then when Ford decided to make them again they couldn't use the name because they hadn't defended the trademark and couldn't get it back. So now you can buy a GT40 from SuperPerformance or a Ford GT but not a Ford GT40.

Will a CGI Buck work?   Wished it weren’t but I’ll give this a go.    

My introduction to London.   Great story, great dog.   Gives me chills watching those dogs in the trailer running hard.   Hell yes.  I’m a chump for dog stuff.   I ck out the dog walkers around here when they have a big pack on a walk around.  Always trying to see who the leads are and how good you gotta be to manage ten big dogs that are prolly worth a lotta dough & love.

Dr sleep.....  3 snags.  Saw it at the local Alamo draft house.   A lot of nice flashbacks to the shining...  well done. And I imagine there will be another movie to continue the “shine”

while waiting for the theater to be ready ready I slipped into Ford v Ferrari.    I did not need to take my meds for low T for three days after watching 5 minutes. 

Would love to see it in imax.  

On 11/20/2019 at 12:12 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

I give it a full 5 snags. They could take all the acting out of it too and I wouldn't care, I could just watch the cars. I decided I really want a GT40 too! A quick look at cars.com shows them to not be depreciating like the average used car, so my plan is stymied for the moment :(

* funny thing is Ford didn't make GT40s for quite some time. While they were not making them, SuperPerformance started making them and then when Ford decided to make them again they couldn't use the name because they hadn't defended the trademark and couldn't get it back. So now you can buy a GT40 from SuperPerformance or a Ford GT but not a Ford GT40.

Awesome movie and well worth paying to see it at a theater with a solid Dolby Surround sound.

If you get wood hearing a 427 AC Cobra motor down the road making car alarms go off, you will LOVE this movie.

Ain't  nothing like a 427 with a hot cam at 7,000 rpm

Even my wife who is not a motor head loved the movie.

Shit, she was hitting me up to trade in her volvo for a new v8 Mustang tonight..

Hope they put out a movie sound track.

Not the Motown tunes of the 60s, but the staccato of those big block beasts.

5 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Ain't  nothing like a 427 with a hot cam at 7,000 rpm

Even my wife who is not a motor head loved the movie.

Shit, she was hitting me up to trade in her volvo for a new v8 Mustang

I licke youere wife, harde htteng, dettereminded, the "gette me theire nowe'" attitude ist crankeng......                :)

17 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

documentary on netflix  called  Shelby    pretty good.. very accurate    4 snags    ...    24 hour war is up next on my list..

Is that the one Adam Corrella of Manshow fame did?

The Irishman

Despite being about the best reviewed movie of all time, I give it 2 Snaggs. It is LONG. It goes on a LONG time. A really looooooong time. Did I mention it is a long movie?

Yeah it is fun watching Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino do their shtick, but this movie could very easily lose 60 minutes and only get better. Way too many drawn out scenes. Way too much of The Irishman's daughters refusing to talk to anyone. I think between all 4 of them they might have 6 lines. Way too much time watching really old retired gangsters roll their wheelchairs around.

3 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The Irishman

Despite being about the best reviewed movie of all time, I give it 2 Snaggs. It is LONG. It goes on a LONG time. A really looooooong time. Did I mention it is a long movie?

Yeah it is fun watching Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino do their shtick, but this movie could very easily lose 60 minutes and only get better. Way too many drawn out scenes. Way too much of The Irishman's daughters refusing to talk to anyone. I think between all 4 of them they might have 6 lines. Way too much time watching really old retired gangsters roll their wheelchairs around.

Completely agree. Every Scorsese cliche in the book, too.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

The Irishman

Not to be nit pickey, but did they have Garmin GPS units in airplanes back in the 70's?   And kudos to the pilot.. he manged to leave and park in the same place when he returned... must have been the early version of the GPS they were using back then... 

On 4/9/2017 at 11:45 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

Watched several movies lately.....

• I just watched "Fantastic Beasts and where to Find them". JK Rollings first screenplay. A grown up Harry potter movie. Really well done. 3.5 snaggs (out of 5)
  • Hell or High Water - LOVED this movie. Really surprised me how well this was done. Good cast with Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges. Bridges is excellent. 4.5 snaggs
  • The Lobster - DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE!!! I can not overstate how bad this movie is! -269 Snaggs!
  •  

Try watching The Lobster Man from Mars, it’s great fun

On 12/1/2019 at 11:39 PM, Ripper said:

Ford vs Ferrari in IMAX.   

5 snags

I definitely need to catch that one!! and Good Liar with Helen Mirren, and Knives Out with Daniel Craig, before they are done at Niantic Cinemas!!

On 12/1/2019 at 8:42 PM, IStream said:

Completely agree. Every Scorsese cliche in the book, too.

Still haven’t finished.   Gangster’s in retirement.....ho-hum.   Great line: “ I started painting houses.”   Ouch.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Star Wars anyone?

Saw it Monday. It was OK. I was expecting the worst after hearing a few spoiler free reviews. But all in all, it was entertaining and came to a satisfactory conclusion. I've got a couple of quibbles with a big plot point, but I'm not going to spoil it for anyone yet. 

Does anybody that grew up with Star Wars in the 70's like what's happened after the original?

Netflix: Lost in Space season 2, they turn their space ship into a sailboat? At least 1 person of probably a 100+ of production staff knew somethingish about sailing... Even my kids laughed about it. Looks like a Bendytow 40+er shows up in a later episode even

I love syfy, but why does every spaceship have giant, open, meaningless rooms/hallways? Only a few, more recently, actually address the lack of gravity...

15 hours ago, Liquid said:

Does anybody that grew up with Star Wars in the 70's like what's happened after the original?

Not much I have to say. Episode 7 was such a let down, I didn't even bother with 8.

I saw Knives Out. Meh. However, I'm not a murder mystery fan. Also, Rian Johnson's (the director's) preference for extreme facial closeups was extremely annoying. Except of course in the case of Ana de Armas, who's face rewards extended close scrutiny.

16 hours ago, Liquid said:

There are few things so full of hate and anger as a star wars fan. 'I hated 7 ( or 2, or 6, or what ever) and after having seen it 4 times in the theater to firm up my conclusions,  i will never see another one.  Fuck Disney,  they ruined my childhood. '

Smdh

On 12/25/2019 at 3:46 PM, IStream said:

I saw Knives Out. Meh. However, I'm not a murder mystery fan. Also, Rian Johnson's (the director's) preference for extreme facial closeups was extremely annoying. Except of course in the case of Ana de Armas, who's face rewards extended close scrutiny.

Saw this today with SHMBO - zero expectations and zip of what was about. Really enjoyed it (am a mystery fan), casting was excellent and plot twists and turns never stopping.  Daniel Craigs southern drawl was most unexpected.

15 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Saw this today with SHMBO - zero expectations and zip of what was about. Really enjoyed it (am a mystery fan), casting was excellent and plot twists and turns never stopping.  Daniel Craigs southern drawl was most unexpected.

Sorry, but they lost me at "she can't tell a lie without vomiting." Pretty much the biggest plot crutch I've ever run into.