Moovie Review Threade

7 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:
9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

wacheng seconde episoade, muste gette bettere because suckes so farre............               :)

Second episode of Season 1 or the latest season?

Seasone 1, I gaive up durreng thirde episoade.  Mooveng on.............                    :)

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Octopusse Teachere - 5/5 S I giggelled and cride throuh the holle thinge............              verrey uplifteng......

Death to 2020, netflix.....very funny

Speaking of fun, I was recently reminded of "Mystery Men".  I especially liked "the Sphynx" (Wes Studi).  And you will have to admit that "Casanova Frankenstein" is a great name for a villain.

Posted Images

Black Summer on Netflix is a blast.  Season 1 is about the early days of a zombie apocalypse.  The Zombies are bad ass world class sprinters.  The survivors will do anything to stay alive and that includes killing other people at the drop of a hat.  That’s not necessarily smart because a dead person turns into a zombie almost instantaneously.  They get heavily armed but it seems like it takes a hail of bullets to take down a zombie.  Curiously there aren’t any hordes of zombies, it’s like not everyone turned.

Season two is bleak and is mostly about survivors killing each other to survive.  In both seasons the action is non stop anyone can die at any time.  It’s way way better than the Walking dead.

Stars Jamie King who is still pretty hot.

4.5 snags....

3.5 snags for 'Miss Sloane' with Jessica Chastain

Miss Sloane is the ultimate, stone cold, ruthless, sell your baby while robbing you blind with no reach around DC lobbyist. It held my attention all the way through.

I'd never knew/heard of this movie but it's got J Chastain... Good fun and scary because there are people out there like her 'making policy' in the US gov't. 

On 6/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, Owen said:

Speaking of the 90's, just watched 2 Days in the Valley for the first time.  1996.

Fucking awesome, of course.  Charlize Theron nekkid?  Yup.   Jeff Daniels doing dark?  Fuck yes.   And James Spader is a sick mofo.  Who knew?  (besides his Secretary...)

On 6/11/2017 at 6:03 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

charlize in reindeer games is also sleazy fun

I’ll have to check these out.  One of my Go-To flicks is The Ice Harvest.  While I don’t normally care for Billy Bob Thornton, he’s excellent in this film.  Being directed by the late, great Harold Ramis didn’t hurt! 

• Like 1

OK, you mentioned Billy Bob Thornton.  So here's a really good one: A Simple Plan

Starring Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton, Bridget Fonda.  Directed by Sam Raimi, but not in his "Evil Dead" style.  Suspenseful, moving.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 9:03 PM, silent bob said:

I’ll have to check these out.  One of my Go-To flicks is The Ice Harvest.  While I don’t normally care for Billy Bob Thornton, he’s excellent in this film.  Being directed by the late, great Harold Ramis didn’t hurt! 

Thanks for the suggestion. Billy Bob was Bad Santa and that shit was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, Marinatrix447 said:

Yes its a timely docu-fictional hybrid... but as a zeitgeist journey? Youbetcha..... 4.6 snags

Sawe it laste nitte, thisse ratteng is verrey generouse, moirre then I woude evere considere.........        @Marinatrix447 plesae telle me what the goode parttes werre........... I maye of miste them.......              :)        

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sawe it laste nitte, thisse ratteng is verrey generouse, moirre then I woude evere considere.........        @Marinatrix447 plesae telle me what the goode parttes werre........... I maye of miste them.......              :)        

when the credits rolled probably...

12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I didn't hate the movie, it seemed like living in a van is kind of a dreary lifestyle and the movie accurately reflected that. There wasn't a whole lot of plot going on, just driving around :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I didn't hate the movie, it seemed like living in a van is kind of a dreary lifestyle and the movie accurately reflected that. There wasn't a whole lot of plot going on, just driving around :rolleyes:

Thackes, I kinda thouht surviveng alle the bad thinges and notte groweng bittere or letteng herre outlooke, wiche seemes possitieve, growe darke.  Mabey thast herre victorey.                :)

On 6/23/2021 at 10:31 PM, Liquid said:

3.5 snags for 'Miss Sloane' with Jessica Chastain

Miss Sloane is the ultimate, stone cold, ruthless, sell your baby while robbing you blind with no reach around DC lobbyist. It held my attention all the way through.

I'd never knew/heard of this movie but it's got J Chastain... Good fun and scary because there are people out there like her 'making policy' in the US gov't. 

She was even better in Molly’s game based on real characters.  4 snags.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Summer of Soul: five out of five Snaggs.

No joke. I don't give out Snaggs lightly but this movie earned it. The performances were masterful, each more impressive than the last, as was the structure and editing of the film. This was Questlove's first film, which is unbelievable. 

I watched in on Hulu with a good sound system but if you have a chance to see it in a real theater, take it. I will be watching it again soon.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hardcore Henry.

Not a Hollywood blockbuster. Not even Hollywood, per se.

Shot in the first person, it's pretty hard to keep up, especially with some of the shoot-out scenes. A bit of parkour will get your old bones a'clangin'.

4.5 Snags.

13 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Hardcore Henry.

Not a Hollywood blockbuster. Not even Hollywood, per se.

Shot in the first person, it's pretty hard to keep up, especially with some of the shoot-out scenes. A bit of parkour will get your old bones a'clangin'.

4.5 Snags.

The intent was to mimic you being in a video game.

It did that well!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a Netflix thing, but I'm really liking "Midnight Mass".  We binge-watched the first five episodes last night, two more to go tonight.  Lots of dialog (which I like), lots of atmosphere, and a wonderful performance by the priest.  Actually, all the performances are good.

4/5 Snags.

• Like 1
On 10/27/2021 at 3:41 PM, valis said:

It's a Netflix thing, but I'm really liking "Midnight Mass".  We binge-watched the first five episodes last night, two more to go tonight.  Lots of dialog (which I like), lots of atmosphere, and a wonderful performance by the priest.  Actually, all the performances are good.

4/5 Snags.

yep 4/5 is about right.

I thought a couple of the monologues went a little long, but a couple of them were IMO outstanding.  Great concept.

Just now, pbd said:

yep 4/5 is about right.

I thought a couple of the monologues went a little long, but a couple of them were IMO outstanding.  Great concept.

We finished the thing and were a bit disappointed with the final two episodes.  I didn't need to see the full zombie apocalypse, and yes some of the monologues should have been trimmed.  But overall I'm quite glad we watched it, and I found myself later reflecting on the concepts.  Personally I'm more agnostic and concrete (like the "Riley Flynn" character), but you don't have to be religious to be moved by the story of Christ and the concepts of sin, suffering, acceptance, forgiveness and redemption. 

Alright, a few years ago we helped the son of a friend finance his (ultra low budget) movie, called The Invisible Mother. He and his partner spent years decorating every room of their house as a movie set and then they filmed within it. I'd characterize it as spooky/creepy but not gory. All the effects are practical, no CGI, and it got a great review on Film Threat:

https://filmthreat.com/reviews/the-invisible-mother/

Here's a link to rent it on Prime Video but you can also find it on iTunes, Vudu, Xbox, Google Play, YouTube Movies, AT&T U-Verse, DirecTV, Dish Network and Sling TV, iN DEMAND (Spectrum, Comcast), Vubiquity (Verizon Fios), and Hoopla (libraries).

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Mother-Debra-Wilson/dp/B09HXP72QJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+invisible+mother&qid=1635535522&s=instant-video&sr=1-1

1 hour ago, valis said:

So I'm reading some of the "Midnight Mass" reviews, and seeing critics complain that the philosophy got in the way of the horror.  Funny, I thought the complete opposite.

Agree, I liked that show a great deal. I liked hill house and bly manor also though. This one was different but still had that same dynamic, the horror dimension is entertaining and keeps the train rolling but it’s really about some dimension of human like or relationships. I didn’t mind the monologues, I liked them, it was a creative choice and a risk for TV in the age of “the masked singer”, but they committed to it, the writing was good and for the most part the actors rose to the occasion. Good show.

Seems like reviews from critics, IMDB, rotten tomatoes etc are no help anymore. After two years of covid everybody hates everything and nobody has patience.

All this Midnight Mass love? it wasn't my bag, barely made 2+ snags for me...

If you like this director's work go back and watch an actual 4+ snags of his work: The Haunting of Hill House!

Good timing too!

So……Dune……anybody see it that read the books? I simply cannot imagine a movie doing justice to the complexity of the books. I’m inclined not to see it because it seems like it will be a disappointing waste of time compared to the imagery I’ve carried in my mind all these years from reading the books.

Thoughts?

On 10/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, valis said:

So I'm reading some of the "Midnight Mass" reviews, and seeing critics complain that the philosophy got in the way of the horror.  Funny, I thought the complete opposite.

I also give it 4 out of 5 snags and also liked the philosophy better than the horror. It was really amazing how the mild mannered - at first - priest slowly convinced the congregation that pretty much anything evil they did could somehow be justified as doing God's work.

I could tell the writers did some background research on island life, there were some elements from Tangier Island some Maine islands you could see. What was total woke fakery was the multi-culti island population. These places are usually so homogeneous not only does everyone look the same, they may only have a few last names :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

What was total woke fakery was the multi-culti island population.

Yes, that seemed a little bit much, but it didn't get in the way of the story.  Perhaps the Muslim sheriff angle was overemphasized, but he (and his son) were well-acted and their characters served a useful role in the story.

2 minutes ago, Liquid said:

1 medium sized PNW storm and that 'island' would be a reef in a matter of hours!

Turns out that "island" *is* in the PNW.  They built the town set at Garry Point Park, city of Richmond, Canada.  This is just north of the US/CAN border and not far south of the city of Vancouver.  They put up the buildings, telephone/power poles, everything.

midnight-mass-filming-locations-2021.jpg

1 hour ago, valis said:

Yes, that seemed a little bit much, but it didn't get in the way of the story.  Perhaps the Muslim sheriff angle was overemphasized, but he (and his son) were well-acted and their characters served a useful role in the story.

That was actually possible, some (insane) Muslim person *might for some reason* think moving to some inbred island in the middle of nowhere that probably thinks Protestants are hell-bound heretics and try and police a place where everyone but you has known each other their entire lives might be a good idea :rolleyes: That despite the fact a place that small very likely would have no full time law enforcement. The rest of the population was even weirder, those places are the absolute opposite of melting pots. Unless we are talking $$$$ San Juan Islands, everyone would have one of a very few last names.

I just got back from such a place and here is their attempt at a police department :lol:

image.thumb.png.763ada118b4ceabcbc89be6f0132f9bf.png

image.png.25b78d22f76723e68bf8be388169c90b.png

14 hours ago, Point Break said:

So……Dune……anybody see it that read the books? I simply cannot imagine a movie doing justice to the complexity of the books. I’m inclined not to see it because it seems like it will be a disappointing waste of time compared to the imagery I’ve carried in my mind all these years from reading the books.

Thoughts?

I'll wait until the next one comes out to complete the novel.  If they make it a three parter, forget it.

5toaCvO.png

• Like 1
On 11/1/2021 at 12:19 AM, Point Break said:

Thoughts?

On 11/1/2021 at 12:21 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Ive heared goode thinges, butte I woude tende to adgree with you.                                :)

I will be watching it when I get home, bowgirl and I are excited.  The books and first series were good, I'm excited to see it.  

On 10/31/2021 at 10:19 PM, Point Break said:

Thoughts?

Unlike the movie from the 80's, it's watchable. They aren't wasting a bunch of time repeating all the mantras and over-explaining this time around, and the special effects are vastly superior. Only got to Paul joining the Fremen in part 1 though, so far so good, but it might be best to wait for the all three to start. 

20 hours ago, Mark K said:

Unlike the movie from the 80's, it's watchable. They aren't wasting a bunch of time repeating all the mantras and over-explaining this time around, and the special effects are vastly superior. Only got to Paul joining the Fremen in part 1 though, so far so good, but it might be best to wait for the all three to start. 

Paul joins the Fremen????   Spoiler alert, thanks a lot buddy!  :-)  Will have to go see it.

24 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Paul joins the Fremen????   Spoiler alert, thanks a lot buddy!  :-)  Will have to go see it.

Typo.  Paul joins the firemen.  The high-rise inferno scenes are fantastic.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Mark K said:

It only got to Paul joining the Fremen?! Thats not very far into the story at all...and frankly all the political intrigue prior to that was, in my view, simply laying the groundwork and background....somewhat laboriously......for the true heart of the story. Glad to know. I'll be tempted to wait for the next one and see them together. Thanks. 

On 6/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, d'ranger said:

Not a movie, miniseries - Mare of Eastwood.  Kate Winslet is amazing, 7 episodes, and one of the best ever. The entire cast and production all first rate.

I just binged it...  very good, but no shout-out to Wa Wa or Yingling Beer...   I grew up not too far from where a lot of it was filmed.  She nailed the accent.

4.75 Snags. Again no shout out to Wa Wa or Yinling, two everyday staples of the suburban Philadelphia life- lacked some authenticity.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ventucky Red said:

I just binged it...  very good, but no shout-out to Wa Wa or Yingling Beer...   I grew up not too far from where a lot of it was filmed.  She nailed the accent.

4.75 Snags. Again no shout out to Wa Wa or Yinling, two everyday staples of the suburban Philadelphia life- lacked some authenticity.

Damm spell check got me again... Yuengling Beer....

https://www.yuengling.com/

11 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Damm spell check got me again... Yuengling Beer....

https://www.yuengling.com/

they now have a brewery in ft worth....   it's ok...  only benefit is the bars are selling pints cheaper than most stuff.... though i had some and it's look like they're having some teething pains at the new place..

(i could taste some off flavors from fermentation)

On 11/11/2021 at 8:38 AM, 130lights said:

I know I’m way behind on this one, but what’s the verdict on Succession?  Worth catching up/binging, or don’t bother? I’m about 6 episodes into Season 1.

I vote stay with it

• Like 2

Saw Dune. Liked it. You can tell how the director was very influenced by seeing Lawrence of Arabia on 70mm as a kid. The desert shots and overall cinematography are really good.

Yes, a shame that Part 2 (I don't think he is planning 3 movies) will have to pick up after 1. It's not quite LOTR where the narrative was already broken down into 3 volumes.

• 2 weeks later...

King Richard

Will Smith plays the father of Venus and Serena Williams

Certainly from his perspective. I'd be curious to know what they think of it, but enjoyable. 4 Snags

I'm sure some moments were Hollywoodized, but I'm also sure there was a lot of it that was true. I enjoy tennis and have always been a fan of Venus especially. Long odds of anyone else ever being able to pull this off. Rare mix of athletic talent and mental toughness in both of them.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, On The Hard said:

King Richard

Will Smith plays the father of Venus and Serena Williams

Certainly from his perspective. I'd be curious to know what they think of it, but enjoyable. 4 Snags

I'm sure some moments were Hollywoodized, but I'm also sure there was a lot of it that was true. I enjoy tennis and have always been a fan of Venus especially. Long odds of anyone else ever being able to pull this off. Rare mix of athletic talent and mental toughness in both of them.

Didn’t one of the sisters direct it?

Finch, Apple TV on a free trial. Fuck that service! You'll need an apple device to actually view all content = shame! Service cancelled.

1.85 Snaggs

Not really sure where to go on this one... a snippet in time that includes Tom Hanks finishing out his Netflix paid tour via a 90% CGI'd movie with really nothing underpinning it.

A point in time with really no meaning... other than creating a sentient being with vacuum parts (utterly unexplained or explored) while man dies... really?

Watched '14 Peaks' on Netflix last night and very much recommend it. It is a documentary about a Nepali mountain climber who sets out to climb the 14 tallest mountains in the world (all over 8000 m) in seven months. Spoiler alert, he does it in a bit over six months. The previous record for climbing the 14 was seven years. The most famous living climber, Rheinhold Messner, was the first to climb them and did it over a 16 year period. The film is also an attempt to bring more attention to the Sherpas, all from Nepal, who do all the dirty work so rich climbers from the West get to make successful climbs. You wonder what Nims could do for an encore after this. 

A review of the movie

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-11-29/review-14-peaks-nothing-is-impossible-mountain-climbing

BTW, Messner is a very impressive bad ass. His biography reads like fiction except isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Messner

• Like 1
On 11/24/2021 at 4:40 PM, Terrorvision said:

Didn’t one of the sisters direct it?

Nope. At some point someone will ask the ladies what they think of the movie. Or maybe that has happened and I missed it.

18 hours ago, sailm8 said:

Netflix The Power of the Dog  I give it 5/5 wife 4/5  A western with a twist.

Yes.  Watched this tonight, liked it.  Slow burn kind of film, very atmospheric, intensely psychological performances by Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst.  All four lead actors were very good.  Stick with it, the build up takes time but it's worth it.

Milleres Crosseng; an alle time fave, rewatched tonitte.

Holdes up biggeley, the storrey of crosse vs. doubelle crosse cane boggelle the sippelle minde.  I appreciatte the niewances of Tom's perfoirmance.  The reallizatione that Tom actiualley loves Leo came to me lattere, butte in no waye queeres the beutey of the storrey.  WFD Coen bros.

4/4 Snags                                :)

• Like 1

Watched this after a long day of work and thought it a sci-fi nightmare masquerading as a surreal looking big mountain adventure.

Was their intent to con the Sherpas and flaunt the  “greed” of Western climbers?

• Like 1
On 11/30/2021 at 5:22 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Watched '14 Peaks' on Netflix last night and very much recommend it.

I'll second that @ 5/5 snaggs. How the fuck that was pulled off is an insane feat of humanity!!! Long live all sherpa!!! 

All in 6 months.... fucking nuts!

Check out The Alpinist on Netflix, equally nutty - the mixed climbing is wild! Not sure how to rate it tho........

Not on Netflix anymore but there was a great sailing/climbing doco called '180 Degrees South: Conquerors of the Useless'. A worthy watch if you can find it: 4/5 snaggs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_Degrees_South:_Conquerors_of_the_Useless

On 11/30/2021 at 8:22 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Watched '14 Peaks' on Netflix last night and very much recommend it. It is a documentary about a Nepali mountain climber who sets out to climb the 14 tallest mountains in the world (all over 8000 m) in seven months. Spoiler alert, he does it in a bit over six months. The previous record for climbing the 14 was seven years. The most famous living climber, Rheinhold Messner, was the first to climb them and did it over a 16 year period. The film is also an attempt to bring more attention to the Sherpas, all from Nepal, who do all the dirty work so rich climbers from the West get to make successful climbs. You wonder what Nims could do for an encore after this. 

A review of the movie

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-11-29/review-14-peaks-nothing-is-impossible-mountain-climbing

BTW, Messner is a very impressive bad ass. His biography reads like fiction except isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Messner

that was quite a watch... they kinda make all the westerners who do this look like chumps. 

The Way Back - start with Hoosiers, up there with the best sports movies of all time, move it 70 years later and from rural Indiana to poor part of LA. Subtract Gene Hackman and add Ben Afflect (not a good trade in my books) and you have this movie. To say it is derivative is being kind. Will give it 3/5 but could be tempted to lower that a bit. As a former HS basketball coach, the bball scenes aren't bad

1883:  A prequel to "Yellowstone," "1883" follows the Dutton family as they flee poverty in Texas and embark on a journey through the Great Plains to seek a better future in Montana. Real-life couple Tim McGraw and Faith Hill star as James and Margaret Dutton, while Sam Elliott portrays Shea Brennan, a tough cowboy who has sadness in his past. Other cast members include Isabel May, LaMonica Garrett and Dawn Olivieri. Billy Bob Thornton will guest star and Tom Hanks makes a cameo in a Civil War flashback scene.

Good casting, always love gravelly voiced Sam Elliott. Isabel May is understated and lovely.

On Paramount.

4 snaggs

• Like 1
22 hours ago, sailm8 said:

Don't look up - Netflix  2.5 Snags  Has some laughs but a waste of talent.

saw this Sunday.  Awesome movie.

Love the way it spoofs Apple, Fox etc.

On 12/25/2021 at 9:37 PM, 130lights said:

1883:  A prequel to "Yellowstone," "1883" follows the Dutton family as they flee poverty in Texas and embark on a journey through the Great Plains to seek a better future in Montana. Real-life couple Tim McGraw and Faith Hill star as James and Margaret Dutton, while Sam Elliott portrays Shea Brennan, a tough cowboy who has sadness in his past. Other cast members include Isabel May, LaMonica Garrett and Dawn Olivieri. Billy Bob Thornton will guest star and Tom Hanks makes a cameo in a Civil War flashback scene.

Good casting, always love gravelly voiced Sam Elliott. Isabel May is understated and lovely.

On Paramount.

4 snaggs

does Sam Elliot have some sort of contract?  "no western shall be made in hollywood with out me in it"!

2 minutes ago, chester said:

does Sam Elliot have some sort of contract?  "no western shall be made in hollywood with out me in it"!

Either Elliott or Costner seem to get most of them.  Better than Alec Baldwin .:(

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

True, butte AB kilde in hisse laste rolle..........                :)

Exactly… but he was good in ‘It’s Complicated’, and I’m not an AB fan. He played an a-hole, perfect casting.

Binge watching ‘The Good Fight’. So much wit and sarcasm, and dealing with Trump, NDAs, etc. Very appealing to my senses.  5 snags for me.

finished three..

My Name is Nobody      Terrance Hill / Henry Fonda  spaghetti western    3/5

Enemy At the Gates -  WW2 Stalingrad..  good storyline but hollywood depiction's of russian army pretty much dumb...    2/5  

Balls of Fury  ..  campy comedy along the lines of a will ferrell movie..  3/5 for Maggie Q