Craigslist Finds

Your forgot to include shunts are better than tacks.

Still, the Laser was not for me! Boats I like can take the hammer.

Mller High Life swill and Prindles are (indeed) much better in build and function than Hobies.

Never bit on the adverts...And so it is!

All is relative boyo, as you know!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

Posted Images

I get it, same here.  I have a Waterat 505 as well, and a 110 in a major rebuild project.  There are lots of great boats out there but we created Park City Sailing around the Laser and it's been a huge success.  We had fourteen Lasers out racing last night and as far as programs go, it's such a great boat.

In my opinion it made the Olympics because it is such a prevalent boat.  One class had to represent the masses and the Laser took that crown.  Look at the 470, there could be thousands in the US by now but there are only a dozen or two active on campaigns. 

20 minutes ago, WCB said:

I get it, same here.  I have a Waterat 505 as well, and a 110 in a major rebuild project.  There are lots of great boats out there but we created Park City Sailing around the Laser and it's been a huge success.  We had fourteen Lasers out racing last night and as far as programs go, it's such a great boat.

In my opinion it made the Olympics because it is such a prevalent boat.  One class had to represent the masses and the Laser took that crown.  Look at the 470, there could be thousands in the US by now but there are only a dozen or two active on campaigns. 

Back in the 1970s there were fleets of 470s out racing. The expense (and to some extent the attitude) of the Olympics, and the lack of moving forward by the class organization, killed it.

Agreed about the Laser, they were made an Olympic class because it's almost a universal boat. However it would have been better if the class had allowed them to be a little better built and better rigged over the years; this is a tough balancing act to be sure.

FB- Doug

WCB I hear ya, number count even if boat is fugged. Didn't Soling and Finn get booted for same reason and the meter boats as well. Why I no watch Olys...

However, I would like to hear more about you 110 rebuild, but maybe PM is best. Here are some old pics of my woodie, back from then I was poohed on for ditching the snubber for Hexes and using a trap by bozo class officers in Michigan at the time. Boat cried for those two changes and a lifting keel, which I could not manage and probably avoided if I could do it. Love that 110.

110_1.jpg

• Like 1

Not on Craigslist, sorry-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Pearson-4HP-Suzuki-Outboard-Highlander-Trailer-T1267177-/372056416726?hash=item56a04a61d6:g:Dl4AAOSwkBZZoIQp&vxp=mtr

These Pearson Tritons came in two size, 18' and 21' this is the smaller one. Excellent design IMHO, ballasted daggerboard, fast hull, relatively simple but effective rig. The 21-footer was picked up by a motorboat company and marketed as the US 21 with a sloppier build. This is yet another on the long list of boats I'd go pick up if it was closer to me.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, WCB said:

Mystery sailboat in Concord, MA for $10.  No idea what this thing is...any guesses?

$10 sailboat

I think... based on decades of rigorous scientific research.... that thing used to be an AMF Sunbird. But I think "free" is too much. Especially considering the risk of exposure to poison ivy and/or insect bites while getting out of wherever the heck it is.

FB- Doug

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think... based on decades of rigorous scientific research.... that thing used to be an AMF Sunbird. But I think "free" is too much. Especially considering the risk of exposure to poison ivy and/or insect bites while getting out of wherever the heck it is.

FB- Doug

I can't say it isn't. I need a photo from over the transom to be certain. 

I can't tell from the  photo if the deck is as high as a Sunbird 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Looks like they have the after Irma pics up already.

01212_4kMIV7P6f8o_1200x900.jpg

The $2900 they are offering is not enough money to dispose of it. $2900 and keep the trailer seems like about what they should pay. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Here's another one, a bit more transportable

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/unusual-flying-dutchman/6291429384.html

FB- Doug

There was a somewhat decent looking Soverel 30 that apparently went for 1300 recently on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Soverel-30-Sailboat-Michigan/391840174029?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

28 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:
16 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Looks like they have the after Irma pics up already.

01212_4kMIV7P6f8o_1200x900.jpg

The $2900 they are offering is not enough money to dispose of it. $2900 and keep the trailer seems like about what they should pay. 

Actually, I'd love to have a 30' daggerboarder with an inboard diesel; the Soverel 30 is not quite as sporty as the Sov 33 but they have a rep for sailing pretty well. I'd take this boat off his hands but I'm not going to 1- drive down there for a wreck and 2- drive down there in the teeth of a hurricane and 3- pay more money that the sum of the parts appear to be worth, for a boat that will be more work... and in the end, cost more... than buying a racy 30ish foot racer-cruiser and making a daggerboarder out of it.

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, dgmckim said:

Hah! I know that Lightning.... looks like it's been well kept up. Used to race at Kerr Lake, it's a good example of a classic. Looks ready to sail, dunno if it's ready to race with the new boats, would need new sails at least. I think it's a N&H. Mine was an Allen, a little older and I rebuilt the heck out of it, with new sails and careful tuning it was a pretty hot boat.

That Thistle is an empty shell. Trailer nothing to brag about either. Ad should be "I'll give you $20 for gas if you'll come get this boat out of my yard."

FB- Doug

I picked up the two boats pictured for 550, with brand new sails and a pretty cool trailer.  That's my friend Jay who took ownership this morning and will be keeping the boats at Trinity Lake in far Norcal.  For all you Eurekans, that's Jay of "Humboats", a longtime Arcata/Eureka character who is technically a paraplegic following a motorcycle wreck, but who didn't quite see that designation as fittiing with his approach to life.  

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

10 minutes ago, Owen said:

I picked up the two boats pictured for 550, with brand new sails and a pretty cool trailer.  That's my friend Jay who took ownership this morning and will be keeping the boats at Trinity Lake in far Norcal.  For all you Eurekans, that's Jay of "Humboats", a longtime Arcata/Eureka character who is technically a paraplegic following a motorcycle wreck, but who didn't quite see that designation as fittiing with his approach to life.  

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Very cool!

Congrats!!

FB- Doug

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hah! I know that Lightning.... looks like it's been well kept up. Used to race at Kerr Lake, it's a good example of a classic. Looks ready to sail, dunno if it's ready to race with the new boats, would need new sails at least. I think it's a N&H. Mine was an Allen, a little older and I rebuilt the heck out of it, with new sails and careful tuning it was a pretty hot boat.

That Thistle is an empty shell. Trailer nothing to brag about either. Ad should be "I'll give you $20 for gas if you'll come get this boat out of my yard."

FB- Doug

"mast is worth a few hundred dollars"  HA Ha, Ha....  Sorry man, used mast is worth about $5 at the scrapyard...UNLESS you are lucky enough to find someone who REALLY wants a used mast EXACTLY like that one...then...$100, maybe...

3 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Scrap aluminum changes daily but has been well under $1/pound lately, about sixty cents recently. Extrusions bring more than castings.

In 1989 when  I cleaned out my old boat shop as part of building and moving to the new facilities I sold lots of accumulated beat up aluminum extrusions. The scrapyard paid me $1.12 / pound.

Last time I checked a couple years ago they were offering only $0.40.  That isn't enough to cover the gas money.

while I am on this subject:

Lead keels covered with paint with the mounting bolts still in place were selling for $0.82 per pound three years ago. 

Last winter they offered $0.15 for jerks inbtgat condition and $0.38 if I removed the mounting bolts and sanded off all the paint and epoxy. 

The effect of this?

i used provide a free derelict sailboat removal service for the nearby marinas that didn't really cost me any money and provided me with lots of used parts from which I could occasionally pick up some lunch money . 

Now "making an abandoned sailboat go away" costs me a couple thousand bucks and the local marinas are stuck with the junkers

• Like 2
9 hours ago, WCB said:

An MFG Sidewinder on Ebay for $50.  Gouv, isn't this one of your favs?

MFG Sidewinder on Ebay

1971 or maybe as new as 1973. I changed the hiking strap location to the middle of the boat in the summer of 1973. 

The 1" wide rubrail

was used from 1971 to 1973 as well. I made some proper tooling for trimming the hull and deck gunwales and assembling the boats. We no longer needed all that surface area. 

"Needs mast" ??? It is totaled 

• Like 2
On 9/11/2017 at 1:37 PM, Gouvernail said:

"...The effect of this?..."

Two of our genius edger farm-out freaks, if they can read, tried to steal a downed power/utility pole in FL. And got nabbed. Thought someone would buy it?

Imagine a utility pole atop a car. Duh!

The Sidewinder, too bad, a coulda-been....not quite a Banshee either.

34 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

This looks like a really cool boat... potentially

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/impact-18-similar-to/6294701534.html

Comparing it to a Buccaneer is not really fair to either boat

FB- Doug

If Bucc had an optional race cockpit it should be like that. I think they got the bow shape too full but IANANA

5 hours ago, jlightning said:

I would go get the one with a trailer right now if I didn't already have one in stock 

• Like 2
On 9/17/2017 at 9:06 AM, jlightning said:

Those go really cheap in Boston. Our mooring prices are insane, so 22'~27' cruisers go cheap at times.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:26 AM, poopie pants said:

That looks like a fine "broaden your horizons" boat for a 12 year old 

or better yet

a great boat for a smaller

Mom to use while sailing around and watching her kids in a junior Regatta. 

• Like 2
On 9/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, Eddie_E said:

Re: Pearson 26:Those go really cheap in Boston. Our mooring prices are insane, so 22'~27' cruisers go cheap at times.

Sorta off topic for this thread... but. I have now set up six Pearson 26 fit the local fleet. I have another in progress.

My concepts have to do with people taking up the game.

I always know where to find another Laser  and try to know about Sunfish, Ensigns, Pearson 26, J-22, 24 & 80.

each of those boats races one design at our local club. If somebody likes our game  , it doesn't matter if the newbie cannot get a toy. 

Boats sold used are rarely ready to just go sailing.  They almost never are right for racing.    Which is our club's reason for existing. 

I generally try not to own boats simply for selling them but the market Pearson 26 generally need $5000 in work and materials to make them "mid fleet" race ready. I like to present a boat that can be raced this eeekend and upon which the owner needs to do zero maintenance for a few months. 

"You will probably want to buy yourself some boat goodies for Christmas but I don't expect you to need anything to get through the summer."

All boats need regular maintenance but the newbie's forst exoerience ought to be sailing and not three months of fix up. 

So.... I am very appreciative of all the help people offer in telling me about diamonds in the rough.  However, I can only afford to mess with two or three of these projects per year. Right now I have two Lasers almost ready for use. I have a Pearson 26 that needs two weeks of my time to be downright a pristine 35 year old. I have a J-22 that hasn't been used since 1986 that needs needs needs. I have one Ensign that is scheduled to be ready after the owners kids finish college in 2019 and a woody Thistle that hasn't sailed since 1967 which I intend to be sailing in Florida in 2023 as part of a seventieth birthday midwinter regattas tour. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Sorta off topic for this thread... but. I have now set up six Pearson 26 fit the local fleet. I have another in progress.

I always know where to find another Laser  and try to know about Sunfish, Ensigns, Pearson 26, J-22, 24 & 80.

each of those boats races one design at our local club. If somebody likes our game  , it doesn't matter if the newbie cannot get a toy. 

Boats sold used are rarely ready to just go sailing.  They almost never are right for racing.    Which is our club's reason for existing. 

I generally try not to own boats simply for selling them but the market Pearson 26 generally need $5000 in work and materials to make them "mid fleet" race ready. I like to present a boat that can be raced this eeekend and upon which the owner needs to do zero maintenance for a few months. 

"You will probably want to buy yourself some boat goodies for Christmas but I don't expect you to need anything to get through the summer."

All boats need regular maintenance but the newbie's forst exoerience ought to be sailing and not three months of fix up. 

So.... I am very appreciative of all the help people offer in telling me about diamonds in the rough.  However, I can only afford to mess with two or three of these projects per year. Right now I have two Lasers almost ready for use. I have a Pearson 26 that needs two weeks of my time to be downright a pristine 35 year old. I have a J-22 that hasn't been used since 1986 that needs needs needs. I have one Ensign that is scheduled to be ready after the owners kids finish college in 2019 and a woody Thistle that hasn't sailed since 1967 which I intend to be sailing in Florida in 2023 as part of a seventieth birthday midwinter regattas tour. 

Bingo. I wish you all the success in the world, Gouv.

There is a definite reason why old boats that need "just a little TLC" go for nothing, or next to it. What they need is skilled labor. Either a person who has lovingly fixed up boats for a long time needs to give them special care, or a pro needs to be lavished with funds. Both end up costing more than anybody thinks the boat is really worth.

The net result is less sailing, fewer sailors. I wish I had more time to devote myself.

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Totally get what you're doing.  I bought and sold about 40 Lasers in order to build our fleet, sometimes I owned the same Laser multiple times just to keep it around in our fleet.  Now I don't have to do that but it's a lot of work but well worth it to build sailing in your area.  Nice work! 

Keep up the good work Gouvernail. I know how hard it is to keep the fleets full. Our club seems to be pulling in more sailors with casual racing ambitions. Our two big fleets are Oday Mariner 19's and Oday  17' Daysailors. All the new boats coming in have issues ranging from frozen auto bailers to completely blown out sails. I'm looking for a DS1 right now myself, and the reason I'm not leaning toward the Mariner is because I know I can get a reasonable set of sails from Intensity.

2 hours ago, Eddie_E said:

Keep up the good work Gouvernail. I know how hard it is to keep the fleets full. Our club seems to be pulling in more sailors with casual racing ambitions. Our two big fleets are Oday Mariner 19's and Oday  17' Daysailors. All the new boats coming in have issues ranging from frozen auto bailers to completely blown out sails. I'm looking for a DS1 right now myself, and the reason I'm not leaning toward the Mariner is because I know I can get a reasonable set of sails from Intensity.

But with a Mariner you get to race with Newt Wattis!!!

• Like 2

Buccaneer 18 near Atlanta Ga

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/boa/d/18-buccaneer-sailboat-trailer/6316216072.html

Price a bit high considering that the trailer appears to be too short. Depends on what the rest of the sails & gear looks like.

This one looks like a 1980 or thereabouts, high mast step

FB- Doug

On 9/24/2017 at 0:41 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Buccaneer 18 near Atlanta Ga

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/boa/d/18-buccaneer-sailboat-trailer/6316216072.html

Price a bit high considering that the trailer appears to be too short. Depends on what the rest of the sails & gear looks like.

This one looks like a 1980 or thereabouts, high mast step

FB- Doug

If the hull isn't soggy I would value that boat at $800...

+ new rudder. ..

+ high step

- tube luff 

-  everything else

Figure I might note this here.

Years ago, I put a note on a Gibbs Shark moored in a small harbor on Lake Pepin here. Was a very very nice Shark. After 12 years or so, owner called me about selling, which surprised me. I just built a really nifty outrigger (Malibu Outrigger but in modern materials) and likely not buy it. I did not ask price and assumed trailer is included.

Owner is sending me pics etc and will advise. Boat is 84 Glass Gibbs' Shark.

Last time I saw it was pristine. Not many around like this, as I recall.

Sharks, if you recall, were swift 12 foot beam cats by Rod MacAlpine-Downey and had solid deck which folded for road travel/trailer. If interested PM me and will find out asking and send pics...if I do not succumb myself. I used to check the rig every time I went up to Pepin and it was always perfect...and, am guessing the English outboard that was on boat to egress and ingress harbor then is included...should have asked price...but forgot. Anyway...FWIW. Hope not breaking rules!

That's cool!  Those are definitely cool boats. 

Good luck....hope whoever gets it treats it well....

I read a story a few years back about a fleet of them getting wrecked during a tornado... was a sad read.  Don't imagine there are too many left. 

Would love to see pics. 

I thought they were all wood boats. 

12 hours ago, BobBill said:

Figure I might note this here.

Years ago, I put a note on a Gibbs Shark moored in a small harbor on Lake Pepin here. Was a very very nice Shark. After 12 years or so, owner called me about selling, which surprised me. I just built a really nifty outrigger (Malibu Outrigger but in modern materials) and likely not buy it. I did not ask price and assumed trailer is included.

Owner is sending me pics etc and will advise. Boat is 84 Glass Gibbs' Shark.

Last time I saw it was pristine. Not many around like this, as I recall.

Sharks, if you recall, were swift 12 foot beam cats by Rod MacAlpine-Downey and had solid deck which folded for road travel/trailer. If interested PM me and will find out asking and send pics...if I do not succumb myself. I used to check the rig every time I went up to Pepin and it was always perfect...and, am guessing the English outboard that was on boat to egress and ingress harbor then is included...should have asked price...but forgot. Anyway...FWIW. Hope not breaking rules!

Here is a brochure from MFG. we stopped building Sharks in about 1977. I heard somebody bought the molds and started again. 

http://sailmfg.com/brochures/sharkbrochure/sharkbrochure.html

IMG_3600.JPG

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jimmydyurko said:

I read a story a few years back about a fleet of them getting wrecked during a tornado... was a sad read.  Don't imagine there are too many left. 

Would love to see pics. 

They were built with Wood decks and Fiberglass hills before Gibbs Boat Company was purchased by MFG.

Gibbs had molds built for fiberglass decks and they built  a few absurdly heavy ones before I got home from school for the summer and threw one of my hissy fits about building garbage.

That cost me as I was out in charge of building Sharks and I took about 300 pounds out of the laminates and I THINK I built about ten a year over the next three years that weighed the same as the old wood deck boats. I also redid the layup schedules in the glass Centerboards and rudders so they would quit exploding. 

There simply was not enough sales volume and the boat was way too complicated for our staff to produce and our dealers to market. 

the Shark is a nice sailing big horse Of a boat. I sailed it all over Lake Erie and it was a truly comfortable cruiser. I could go to Canada and buy fireworks and be back in Pennsylvania by dinner time but it lacks the blazing speed catamaran sailors want. 

It certainly isn't a modern cat and it would cost a fortune to build them today 

• Like 2

I also thought they were all wood, tortured mahogany, and this one in memory was wood, you know, the pretty brown stuff with the English kicker astern.

Pics below are a of a glass rig, and different motor than I recall, so must assume the owner bought new rig. Moreover, brochure is same as Gouv's, so I guessed the year wrong!

The boat must have been 70s rig.

Here are pics, will add information when received. Gotta love these things. MFG boat? Seems likely.

How long to rig and put in water?

Shark brochuresm.jpg

Shark folding and trailersm.jpg

Shark image 1 Kittelsonsm.jpg

Shark image 2 Kittelsonsm.jpg

17 hours ago, jimmydyurko said:

Would love to see pics. 

Sorry 

typed this last night but didn't hit post:

They were built with Wood decks and Fiberglass hills before Gibbs Boat Company was purchased by MFG.

Gibbs had molds built for fiberglass decks and they built  a few absurdly heavy ones before I got home from school for the summer and threw one of my hissy fits about building garbage.

That cost me as I was out in charge of building Sharks and I took about 300 pounds out of the laminates and I THINK I built about ten a year over the next three years that weighed the same as the old wood deck boats. I also redid the layup schedules in the glass Centerboards and rudders so they would quit exploding. 

There simply was not enough sales volume and the boat was way too complicated for our staff to produce and our dealers to market. 

• Like 2

here is one last redundant ant overlapping   Perhaps useless post butbit might help you determine the exact age of the boat

MFG bought Gibbs Boat Company around 1970. Maybe as late as 1972.

the Leftover Gibbs brochures were used for years after that but usually were at least stamped with A SailMFG rubber stamp of a label.

Gibbs used gold  colored extrusions and MFG used aluminum colored anodization.

a very few early MFG Dingos, Phoenix, and Sharks had gold extrusions but all the Gibbs aluminum was used up within a few months. 

MFG. started using molded in hull identification numbers in the fifties. If the hulls were made at MFG  there should be a 3/4 inch wide strip on the starboard transome or maybe even both hulls with a serial number. 

I am not certain what year MFG startedvusing the 15 digit format beginning with MFG. and whose last three digits indicated the year of manufacture and month.

at MFG the model year started in August. 

.......74A = August 1973

....... 74D  = November 1973

......74G  =  February 1974

Fiberglass Centerboards and rudders replaced wood ones sometime around summer 1973. I am reasonably certain I built those molds while I was only working Summers, Christmas break, and occasional weekends at MFG. I was "the department of steerage and control" for a couple years and I built a huge stash of rudders and Centerboards each summer which they used all winter.  If they ran low or I ran low on money I would hitchhike home and spend a few days knocking out more blades. I got $2 for a rudder and $4 for a Centerboard. I was able to make a little over $160 worth on a good weekend.  That would  give me an after tax paycheck over $120. 

Considering Tuition room and Board at Penn State was $2130 my senior year and  I had most of that  covered by scholarships $120 was a enough spending money for a month. 

I graduated in 1974 and worked full time there for five more years doing things like running the lab, substitute supervising for whatever department head was vacationing or sick, doing remote customer service repairs, and setting up production lines for new models. 

The job was actually lots of fun because I got to do absolutely everything having to  do with building sailboats, powerboats, truck parts, and whatever else the salesmen had sold. 

• Like 2

@ Gouv, re Shark, Very good and thanks. Can you estimate weight by year? Sounds as though it changed, after your TLC... Seems the class weight was around 300 #s or so. And rig looked heavier, but looks do deceive often.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:09 AM, BobBill said:

@ Gouv, re Shark, Very good and thanks. Can you estimate weight by year? Sounds as though it changed, after your TLC... Seems the class weight was around 300 #s or so. And rig looked heavier, but looks do deceive often.

The first few SailMFG Sharks weighed over 600 lbs 

all I can say is I fixed that problem. We built a few more. They didn't sell fast enough. We stopped building Sharks by 1977. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Owen said:

Here's the upshot on that Sunfish/Minfish combo.  Happily relocated to Trinity Lake, California.  

Jay Sunfish Trinity.jpg

Nice to see a new home for those boats, and a good home it is.

Costa Mesa, Home of Newport's/Pyle's KIte dinghy.. Was out there to pick one up and refurbish. it 

Lovely 14 Poopie...alas...but my "new/old" Malibu does it for me now...

And Gouv, very much appreciate the data re the Shark...I passed it on to current owner and a Tornado fan down your way...

39 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

"nice" and only a little  fine tuning of the rigging and welding the trailer tongue back on (see pic 3) not to mention mast.....

Good eyes...I definitely didn't catch that break away tongue design they have going there.

12 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Same Craigslist page

https://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/d/geary-18-sailboat/6326219496.html

just how totally can a boat be rotted and still hold its shape for photos??

IMG_3670.JPG

Holy smokes...I sold a Geary 18 earlier this year for about the same money, and it was good looking and functional.