Craigslist Finds

13 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Fast...,I looked it up...

You must be referring to "Vigilant.

Fox crossed the Atlantic in a 22; whoa! Way ballsy....

Fox loved his 22 I guess and bet h spent hours sailer it from the lee-bench...."Most exhilsrating.."...Have to reread the items...and find that history. Thanks.

He crossed the ocean in a much larger boat of his design and tells the harrowing tale of being knocked down and in the water. I have the books on my shelves. I'll go pull them down at some point and find the two essays. Hopefully.

Also To Brittany in Brynhild is a good one--which Steve has a great story about too...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

He crossed the ocean in a much larger boat of his design and tells the harrowing tale of being knocked down and in the water. I have the books on my shelves. I'll go pull them down at some point and find the two essays. Hopefully.

Also To Brittany in Brynhild is a good one--which Steve has a great story about too...

I see. I misread. Makes more sense Fox did not cross in a 22, but that knife is still my cuppa...along with that rocker (in Lake Mich chop) the Luders 16...just something about both rigs, though I have never sailed on the 22, Always wanted to, but then, always wanted to smooch Audrey Hep and Marlyn too.

Sheesh! C;'est la vie! 

Clark's comments re Finnes are interesting..I never really compared the rates like that, just like it moving on the water...like I liked watching Scepter...win or lose...was something about it, like the 22s and 16s. 

Am just old dodger who still thinks the Yngling and Uffa's Flying F(15) were the max. Wood or glass...I did the I-14 but never really took to it???.

Please post title of the book and so on and will see if I can find on line...small town here...nada. Spring sooon. Hmmmmmm!

You really need to brush up.

Uffa Sailed to America on Typhoon, a 45’ William Atkin design. In chapter 1 of Sailing, Seamanship and Yacht Construction, he reports that his father had a dim opinion of the vessel and urged him not to go. The next 18 pages are Uffa’ description of the crossing, two gales and being capsized by a rogue wave.  He comes to agree with his father.

He races home in the Trans Atlantic race that was won by the upstart Stephens Brothers in Dorade.  His ride was the L. Francis Herreshoff designed Landfall which was the exact other end of the spectrum.

These were his first two offshore voyages, and as near as I can tell, the only ocean sailing he really ever did.  The cruise to Sandhamn was more of a stunt.  Like cruising in Brunhild or crossing the channel in a 14 they were somewhat daring but not much more than smugglers had been doing for generations. Death or Fortune and all that.

Fox was quite a mad man, and a terror to live with or work for. Jane Dixon, daughter of his long time draftsman who illustrated all Fox’s books wrote a biography that reads like “Mommy Dearest.”  He spent money that wasn’t his, drank to the point of embarrassment and engaged in long term feuds with a variety of authorities. Sometimes spouting vitriol in verse.  You lose it when, coming home drunk, his false teeth escape and land in the cat box. Needless to say he puts them right back in.

SHC

• Like 4

Mr. Clark, as I noted,, was clueless to begin with, and sort of gleaned from I-Net he love his 22 bit crossed in a different rig...am older swab but leaning still. Learning is fun. like making the other  guy look good habitually, maked for a non-zero sum life...Uffa may be been said to be a terror, but he is starstuff and, to be honest, had not heard that. Live and learn, as someone said. I still love the knives...

1 minute ago, BobBill said:

Mr. Clark, as I noted,, was clueless to begin with, and sort of gleaned from I-Net he loved his 22 but "crossed "in a different rig...am older swab but leaning still.

Learning is life's true fun to me, like making the other  dodger look good habitually, maked for a non-zero sum life...Uffa may be been said to be a terror, but he is starstuff and, to be honest, had not heard that. Live and learn, as someone said. I still love the knives...

I'm disappointed with myself for bad memory conflating Typhoon as a Fox design when it was an William Atkin design!  S,S and YC is one book I do not have. Darn it. I might have that story xeroxed though. I have a drawer full of xeroxes I made in college of some favourites. I used Interlibrary Loan to get all the books! Gotta use those perks while you got them!

Uffa’s books were reprinted, I believe, by International Marine. So they can be found for less than a fortune.

I was lucky, my Dad had an almost complete set of the first edition, that were some things I read as a kid.  

It is an oddity of my education that I could learn and read in non academic settings, but consistently failed in the classroom.

I have collected other books with the passage of time, as well as a cassette tape of Uffa singing.

There  have been some really good biographies of Starling Burgess, Ray Hunt, and L. Francis Herreshoff written in the last few years that I highly recommend.

SHC

• Like 1
On 3/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, Steve Clark said:

Uffa’s books were reprinted, I believe, by International Marine. So they can be found for less than a fortune.

I was lucky, my Dad had an almost complete set of the first edition, that were some things I read as a kid.  

It is an oddity of my education that I could learn and read in non academic settings, but consistently failed in the classroom.

I have collected other books with the passage of time, as well as a cassette tape of Uffa singing.

There  have been some really good biographies of Starling Burgess, Ray Hunt, and L. Francis Herreshoff written in the last few years that I highly recommend.

SHC

I will second the biographies mentioned.  All are very good.  I especially enjoyed the Starling Burgess bio.  

Mr. Clark...You're the max...am all over it and thanks. i also envy your youth acquitance with Fox and sailor Opa...I know we have many genius dodgers around who, for many reasons, are credential-less, but the spark shines regardless. You are so endowed and will to share which makes the other guy gooder....

Love me back...

11 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

The Vicky 18 is a good looking little boat. They're -little- though, the cabin is like sitting under a card table. They sail acceptably as long as you're not in a hurry; I think an open cockpit version makes a lot of sense. The pics in the ad don't give you the idea that it was beautifully done, but it may not be a total hack job. The trailer is the thing that's likely to cause the most trouble, soonest. But he only wants $400 for it, so if you want a cute tiny keel daysailer and aren't too far away.....

Good catch

FB- Doug

31 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The Vicky 18 is a good looking little boat. They're -little- though, the cabin is like sitting under a card table. They sail acceptably as long as you're not in a hurry; I think an open cockpit version makes a lot of sense. The pics in the ad don't give you the idea that it was beautifully done, but it may not be a total hack job. The trailer is the thing that's likely to cause the most trouble, soonest. But he only wants $400 for it, so if you want a cute tiny keel daysailer and aren't too far away.....

Good catch

FB- Doug

If it were a Tempest, I might be, er, tempted.

20 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

In the 90s I was sorely tempted by a $400 Tempest (really true too). 3 orobkems. Keel off. Biat not on trailet. Trailer needed sig repairs. Woulf have been cool though.

10 hours ago, fastyacht said:
10 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

In the 90s I was sorely tempted by a $400 Tempest (really true too). 3 orobkems. Keel off. Biat not on trailet. Trailer needed sig repairs. Woulf have been cool though.

Good god, man, you spend your time regretting temptations you didn't give in to?

OTOH sounds like a wise choice, bad trailers are a major PITA

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Lovely boat, in front of the rudder mountings are what looks like two sheaves. What are they for? I know on some 5.5m and Dragons the running backstays are on the centre line, however I cant believe FDs ever did it.

Might be fun though, you could tension the backstays to bend the hull giving it a bit more rocker and improve light wind speed........:)

FD and Dart, I agree, but have to inspect. Plas-Trend owned the market at one time...made some gread hulls...alas, my old arse is too old for them now...but I was able to swill and swing at will, then...which seems not the case any longer.

1 hour ago, Dart96 said:

Lovely boat, in front of the rudder mountings are what looks like two sheaves. What are they for? I know on some 5.5m and Dragons the running backstays are on the centre line, however I cant believe FDs ever did it.

Might be fun though, you could tension the backstays to bend the hull giving it a bit more rocker and improve light wind speed........:)

Spinnaker sheets, most likely. Dutchmen are classy boats and it was very much the style to run everything under the deck so it was hidden. Personally, I love the look but hate the impracticalness. The one plus in this case is that you get less butt-cleat from the skipper....

FB- Doug

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cheapster said:

00J0J_krqK6MAvkuw_600x450.jpg.79263d413df5797904fc1042ce77612d.jpg

Not that I have any extra cash laying around at the moment, or space for another boat, but this looks interesting.  Anyone know what it is?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d/fort-worth-single-mast-sailboat-trailer/7087602819.html

Looks like a Laser 2 to me but I've been wrong...once

• Like 1

Nice little boats the L2, my club has one I look after, kids have a lot of fun on it even if they are all getting too big. Simple to maintain and if you really deal with the systems by using BB blocks and lubricating everything it all works ok. Good fun singlehanded. The 29er, 49er and L2 all seem share the same bow rake angle. Bethwaite must have liked it.

18 hours ago, WCB said:
21 hours ago, Cheapster said:

00J0J_krqK6MAvkuw_600x450.jpg.79263d413df5797904fc1042ce77612d.jpg

Not that I have any extra cash laying around at the moment, or space for another boat, but this looks interesting.  Anyone know what it is?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d/fort-worth-single-mast-sailboat-trailer/7087602819.html

Looks like a Laser 2 to me but I've been wrong...once

No, I think you're right this time.

Some years ago, there was one time when I thought I might be wrong, but I was mistaken

FB- Doug

edit to add- this ad is already taken down.... that was fast

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Trovão said:

this is less than $1/cm

Makes it sound like a great deal when you put it that way...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, WCB said:

Makes it sound like a great deal when you put it that way...

that's the idea...;)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Grestone said:

if it has a fixed (and ballasted) keel... NO!

4 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Some cool looking cat I am unfamiliar with, looks fun though https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83145  Stowe OH

2008 Falcon Marine Blade F16 located in Ohio for sale

Like the boat but man that's pricey for a 2008 cat.  $14k seems like a lot when an 18' A Cat can be had for a fraction of that.

5 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Here is a old laser for sale in westerville OH for $699    https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/84525 

1978 Laser Sailboat Laser located in Ohio for sale

and another one in Brooklyn Vineyard Lake, Ohio for $3,000 https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/82278

1996 Laser Performance Radial located in Ohio for sale

man, I wish I had the money to pick up that beauty!

I remember seeing those being built in the factory back in '96.  So cool.  I took my race team that I was coaching for a tour of the factory.

38 minutes ago, WCB said:

I think that this is the one my brother has been lusting after for years...

Yes, that is correct.  I visited that boat in 2016 and have wanted to buy it since.  It needs a lot more work than what is evident in the pictures and the owner didn't want to budge on the price - which is why I didn't buy it.  I might give him a call to see if he would compromise some.  I'd love to fix her up but keep her fairly original (i.e. no sex change as we say in the 505 class). 

Tom

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, WCB said:

Like the boat but man that's pricey for a 2008 cat.  $14k seems like a lot when an 18' A Cat can be had for a fraction of that.

Its too high. Like a lot of boats, F18's have a shelf life regardless who built them. There's only so much time that fiberglass and rivets can hold things together.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

The ad is for TWO F16s on a stacking trailer. Still a lot of money unless someone from MH anarchy tells us it is ok.

IMG_0667.jpg

Well...that is loads better.  I didn't read the description, just the title, which doesn't say "boats".  

6 hours ago, Winston29 said:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/vallejo-cal-20-sailboat-and-trailer/7107698032.html

1976 Cal20 $2K  That wouldn't be my first choice for color, but they say it's in great shape.  

00i0i_9TP043NBwyb_600x450.jpg

That’s a hot boat!   I wouldn’t change the color.  You could crush any number of PHRf fleets and doubt it in a bright yellow boat would make you “that fuckin guy in the yellow Cal 20”

• Like 2

A old wooden Comet, this one seems rather overpriced to me .https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/akron-sail-boat-comet-class-yacht-16-ft/7107998902.html

100w0w_7D8YrbrvZ6c_600x450.jpg

a ratty looking canvas canoe that the poster claims is a sailing canoe! https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/akron-wooden-sailing-canoe/7111063518.html

00h0h_8zo5QCsjoCt_600x450.jpg

This guy is looking for a old Tornado cat to resurrect https://chautauqua.craigslist.org/boa/d/chautauqua-tornado-catamaran/7110954208.html

A 14 Tanzer, seems pretty good condition for the price. $300 https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/akron-ft-tanzer-sailboat/7111144652.html Dose anyone have any info about  these boats?

00e0e_crCtHxzJwzc_600x450.jpg01515_kW3O5jl4Upl_600x450.jpg

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

This guy is looking for a old Tornado cat to resurrect https://chautauqua.craigslist.org/boa/d/chautauqua-tornado-catamaran/7110954208.html

A 14 Tanzer, seems pretty good condition for the price. $300 https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/akron-ft-tanzer-sailboat/7111144652.html Dose anyone have any info about  these boats?

00e0e_crCtHxzJwzc_600x450.jpg01515_kW3O5jl4Upl_600x450.jpg

The Tanzer 14 is basically the same boat as a Blue Jay. I find them unexciting but at that price, if it's on a good trailer and has sails you don't mind using, it's a good deal. It would be easy to spend $1k on hardware like blocks and cleats, and another $1k on sails, so beware of that trap. With all-new rigging and sails it's still a Craigslist $3~4 hundred dollar shitbox.

Makes a great planter when you're done with it, though. That's why I check the trailer so carefully, there's always a good / interesting boat somewhere on a shitty trailer.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

A old wooden Comet, this one seems rather overpriced to me .https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/akron-sail-boat-comet-class-yacht-16-ft/7107998902.html

100w0w_7D8YrbrvZ6c_600x450.jpg

a ratty looking canvas canoe that the poster claims is a sailing canoe! https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/akron-wooden-sailing-canoe/7111063518.html

00h0h_8zo5QCsjoCt_600x450.jpg

Comets are faster than snipes all day long. They were designed by a champion Star sailor before WWII as a junior boat to lead to the star. Similar big main small jib no spinnaker. The shrouds even ease off downwind like the backstays of a Star. They are still raced in parts of the Eastern Shore of MD and NJ. They used to be the predominant 2 man dinghy in the Delaware Valley/NJ and parts of the northern Chesapeake/Eastern Shore.

The canoe could be a starting point like Steve Clark was talking about. Haha.
(We had a sponson sailing canoe when I was a kid. It was from the turn of the century, wood/canvas, kind of heavy. My father sailed it as a kid in the 20s/30s. I never did.

2 hours ago, eliboat said:

That’s a hot boat!   I wouldn’t change the color.  You could crush any number of PHRf fleets and doubt it in a bright yellow boat would make you “that fuckin guy in the yellow Cal 20”

I agree. And furthermore, I love how it takes over that driveway!  Like my driveway!

Fast (+1) Comet is wonderful, all cedar, seems nifty but needs personal inspect and is as shown maybe $1000 too high, with trailer, sails (sheets) if that is what is meant...must be cotton...and spars to boot...up keep is semi annual...if in decent condition...and epoxy as I recall, is not fun with cedar.

I would be leery even at 300...but nice to see nice old hull.

48 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Fast (+1) Comet is wonderful, all cedar, seems nifty but needs personal inspect and is as shown maybe $1000 too high, with trailer, sails (sheets) if that is what is meant...must be cotton...and spars to boot...up keep is semi annual...if in decent condition...and epoxy as I recall, is not fun with cedar.

I would be leery even at 300...but nice to see nice old hull.

That ad's translation into Honesty: "Father-in-law's or Grandpaw's failed woodworking project, come pay us almost 2 grand to take most of it to the dump for us. We're not po' white trash here, we have kept the title for the rusty-ass not-fitting trailer!"

Actually that trailer looks like one of the less expensive old Lightning trailers. Not too bad of a mismatch for hull shape, although still not worth IMHO the price of putting new bearings and & tires on it.

Now, if the sails were 1956 miter-cut Egyptian cotton, I'd love those. But not enough to pay a grand for them.

A Comet is a hot boat! But this one is going to be more work to restore than building a new one would be, and it would not be a "collectors item" although it would be fun to take to wooden boat shows. You'd be king of the castle until Lightning #1 showed up, or an old Star.

- DSK

57 minutes ago, WCB said:

I don't want the 505...I want to check out their car collection!

I was thinking the same thing.  If it weren't so far away, I'd go look at the boat just to check out that shop and see what else is in there. 

• Like 1

1965 Windmill. Dry and solid on galvanized trailer with North class sails. Sitting Columbia SC. Young owner (marine biologist) was in the process of cleaning and painting when he had a job offer in FL.  Sitka Spruce mast and boom. Was built in Ohio. 

$800. Yeah- I bought it!

200 lbs at 15'9" with 119 sq/ft of sail. Will solo under main. Perfect for Rock Island,  Lake Murray.

There is a single piece rudder. The brass weighted one will go on the wall. 

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0573.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

1965 Windmill. Dry and solid on galvanized trailer with North class sails. Sitting Columbia SC. Young owner (marine biologist) was in the process of cleaning and painting when he had a job offer in FL.  Sitka Spruce mast and boom. Was built in Ohio. 

$800. Yeah- I bought it!

200 lbs at 15'9" with 119 sq/ft of sail. Will solo under main. Perfect for Rock Island,  Lake Murray.

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0573.jpg

Beauty!

I fail to see the point of a kick-up rudder on a boat with that long-ass daggerboard, but hey, it's all fun!

Got trapeze yet?

;)

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Beauty!

I fail to see the point of a kick-up rudder on a boat with that long-ass daggerboard, but hey, it's all fun!

Got trapeze yet?

;)

FB- Doug

I hear you. And it is a long, high aspect board. Class rules now allows chopping ten inches off the dagger. Supposedly doesn’t hurt  pointing ability. As to the trap- Having spent a lot of time on a Hobie 16 trap (jungle jibes and one spectacular downburst with full capsize with mast hitting water first) I think I will pass.

Over time I want to find aluminum mast and gear (modern foils) to be OD legal. With that said, I have a broken cat mast that is carbon I could cut down, throw on a Hobie 14 main (same area as stock main and jib) and a removeable mount for asymmetric spin. Have a cool, singlehander ready to plane once around the top mark!

Jim Langley Jr.

4 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I am looking for a cheap used laser in Ohio or western PA.  I am thinking below $1,000

Have you used Searchtempest.com?  It will hunt classifieds including craigslist and you can set a driving limit to see what's around you.

Faster... You will love the "mill,. but do not scorn the kickup rudder, which is major handy way to trailer launch., I would coat the blade in glass/epoxy, to insure integrity and sail the helll out of it...maybe install bailer or two in transom...

Nice deal! Wonderful sail, witn Sitka spats to boot.  

WCB, Laser for cheap are not common...need to find one stored properly. Boats maybe make Kirby wealthy but we ger what we deserve...and Performance is bleeding money for a reason,: Lasers suck and their marketing fooled lots of dodgers wrongly,, like current politicians...liars all.  Do better!

14 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

$800. Yeah- I bought it!

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0573.jpg

Awesome!   The windmill is one of the best little planing dinghies for sure.  I’ve had some of my best ripping planes in a Windmill, and they can do it in less wind than most boats.  Cheap thrills!

4 hours ago, BobBill said:

Faster... You will love the "mill,. but do not scorn the kickup rudder, which is major handy way to trailer launch., I would coat the blade in glass/epoxy, to insure integrity and sail the helll out of it...maybe install bailer or two in transom...

Nice deal! Wonderful sail, witn Sitka spats to boot.  

Thanks, Bob. It would need the sheath as it is cracked from the larger weight to the edge. Maybe add a retrieval line...

1 hour ago, eliboat said:

Awesome!   The windmill is one of the best little planing dinghies for sure.  I’ve had some of my best ripping planes in a Windmill, and they can do it in less wind than most boats.  Cheap thrills!

Grew up in E-scows, so the plane is the thing! 

Doug is right, Clark Mills designed the mill as the next step for teens that grew out of the opti. Sharpies are great home builds! Light, strong, easy construction and fast! Check the i550 for modern take on one. Flare those hull panels at the back and hike!

43 minutes ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

Thanks, Bob. It would need the sheath as it is cracked from the larger weight to the edge. Maybe add a retrieval line...

Brass wights...take your time...epoxy brass in place...sand smooth, glass with light-S...sand smooth....check to make sure brass is secure...sail and swill.

E-boats are major but need crew, was an M'er for a bit and the tunneled version (16 or 20?)...love C's but too big...anything without spinnaker.

Doug, did not know Opti had long daggers, but seems I recall 'Mils were near 5 footer and if up boat would plane in 5 knot pressure...fun and tricky to pull up full. (boom) 

Yea, dodgers liked chines and ply...sort of a popular-build rig...seems plans were only way in the day...

Pace! 

I've owned all kinds of boats. But I keep going back to the Windmill. Show up every 15 or 20 years and win the Nationals and then move on.....  But it really is a great sailing boat. Never had a problem with the dagger board. Just remember to pull it up in skinny water. As for the rudder, a longer, more modern version is now legal, with the paddle shaped one still OK. 

The class is still quite active. New ones are being produced by Johannsen in Florida.   Dave Ellis

Sail...as I recall had lots of rigs registered...lots. No spinnaker, right? Never got to sail one but know it was a hit....and woodies needed bags (floatation) to reace,...and were comfy with wide reails...And seems to me was once some controvesy about how to rig the main...mid traveler or stern....and seemed to make little diff...always loved it...so simple, so fun...it seemed...always.

NIce buy too, this. 

6 hours ago, BobBill said:

WCB, Laser for cheap are not common...need to find one stored properly. Boats maybe make Kirby wealthy but we ger what we deserve...and Performance is bleeding money for a reason,: Lasers suck and their marketing fooled lots of dodgers wrongly,, like current politicians...liars all.  Do better!

Lasers do not suck, please stop with this rhetoric. They were designed in the 70s to suit a purpose and they succeeded in spectacular fashion.  They have done amazing things for the sport.  And thank you for the purchase tips on Laser but I'm good.  I worked for Vanguard for a while and I built a sailing program around the Laser.  As a result I have personally owned over 40 Lasers as I bought, prepped, and sold them to build the program here. 

• Like 2