Craigslist Finds

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

As for things to consider, I would add the mast step to your list. There's plenty of info available about Laser mast steps, the design, failure mode and how to fix before they fail (a pretty easy job all things considered). When I was sailing Lasers, brand new or used, the boat always got the mast step reinforcement treatment. This came about as the mast step failed on my first Laser, 71482, and I had no clue of this design "defect". And speaking of mast steps, some older boats that have been poorly treated by not keeping the mast step free of sand and grit can have a good leak through the bottom of the mast step. If the leak is bad enough, a glass of water poured into the step will quickly disappear. Don't walk from this boat on account of the mast step but highly recommend to do the reinforcement soon after purchasing.

1991s are not much of a trouble year.  The mast step failures were mostly in the early boats.  It's always worth checking for wear in there and you can do the bubble test but even if the bubble test comes back with no leaks, it wouldn't hurt to put a metal mast disc down there with a little resin.  I don't think that they started adding the wear disc at the factory until the mid-90s.

• Like 2
On 2/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, Alan Crawford said:

Vanguard Vector in Brooklyn, NY

claims 40 knots top speed:lol:

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/d/jersey-city-vanguard-vector/7073036552.html

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 1.44.42 PM.png

Hey, I got her !!!, She's now on LBI.... setting up to sail.   Does anyone know how to rig the front poll / spinnaker halyard?... pls connect w/ me.   Thanks

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MikeGolden said:

Hey, I got her !!!, She's now on LBI.... setting up to sail.   Does anyone know how to rig the front poll / spinnaker halyard?... pls connect w/ me.   Thanks

It it's like a musto skiff in that the halyard both extends the pole and launches the kite, with it being a continuous line that also douses the kite into the snuffer and retracts the pole then here is a reference:

http://www.mustoskiff.com/downloads/Musto-Skiff-Rigging-Guide-v0.3.pdf

3 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Not quite a dinghy but since we put the occasional Star, 110 and Etchells on this thread, seems like this is good also.

Wabbit in the Seattle area for $5500. 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/seattle-wiley-north-coast-24-wabbit/7132991274.html

Damn near a dinghy! Has a trap and is very light for a non carbon , 24 ft keelboat. Lots of fun!

Nice C-Boat and with trailer, if not wood or stored wrong on trailer...C's are rockets and can do it as single (more carefully) or 5.

Might be the ticket for Geneva (alke in WI) and wetted locale.

23 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Not a bad deal, looks in good shape with a good sail... no trailer though.

A friend here had a C-scow, he did not like the local chop... a sea breeze here sometimes builds 2~3 ft. Lotsa fun to play in IMHO. You need self-bailing though!

FB- Doug

Doug (Steam Flyer), Rig caught my eye and would have had me wondering if glass.
Trailer seems included. But, most Cs are stored wrongly.

Two other things came to mind, mast is tall enough to demand dry-sail or bouy, etc or help. Rest is busy-work.

And, few rigs are as fast, and few are deceivingly fast. I tried to drift up to a dock on Geneva once, and should have dropped the sail 50 meters out further. Wham!!! (One of my first sails, but no excuse.) Suckers move! 

Used to run with them in a chop on Lake Minnetonka with 110, smooth water, Cs almost flew.

Bailers likely shoujld be in transom...but never gave it a thought??? 

2 hours ago, xonk1 said:

I believe there is too much rocker in the hull for transom bailers/flaps to work. Elvstrom bailers in the floor work well.

No they don't.

No disrespect to Elvstrom intended, but Elvstrom bailers are awful. I hate them. I want a boat with a raised cockpit floor, so the water runs right out on it's own. Yes there are disadvantages of this too, nothing is perfect.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

No spars, no sails, no rudder, structural plywood under the fiberglass long rotted, replacement thwart fitted by poor workman... yeah totally worth "fixing up" as long as your plan is to drill some holes in the bottom, fill it with dirt, and plant flowers in it.

FB- Doug

7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

No spars, no sails, no rudder, structural plywood under the fiberglass long rotted, replacement thwart fitted by poor workman... yeah totally worth "fixing up" as long as your plan is to drill some holes in the bottom, fill it with dirt, and plant flowers in it.

FB- Doug

At least contact the National Little Bear Maritime Museum before feeding her to the worms....

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

Would go get that and drop it at the dump but after rescuing that FD a few weeks ago I'm afraid that would be too much cumulative positive karma

You don’t want to over do it. 

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Seems to have a head start on it's future as a composter. 

I don’t know. The idea is starting to grow on me...

http://www.mostsailboats.org/1983-florida-bay-boat-co-mud-hen/

http://www.prismdesign.com/sites/marine_concepts_website/m-c_stry_whspr1.html

I’d love to see Louis Sauzedde from Tips From Shipwright do a build of a shallow draft sailing skiff

1 hour ago, Old Yeller said:

I don’t know. The idea is starting to grow on me...

http://www.mostsailboats.org/1983-florida-bay-boat-co-mud-hen/

http://www.prismdesign.com/sites/marine_concepts_website/m-c_stry_whspr1.html

I’d love to see Louis Sauzedde from Tips From Shipwright do a build of a shallow draft sailing skiff

Suggest reading Howard Chapelle's books about small craft especially those of the Chesapeake.  Each area had it's own well adapted types.  

• Like 1

The Weta with trailer will sell.

Ned, Old Yeller, make sense would only say one needs to factor in all costs to rigs made for special purposes...besides initial costs. The Mud Hen, for example, is a very capable and decent rig, for those who have a need, much like the Weta, a Sea Pearl and the Chesapeake's famous Sharpies. Other costs, maintenance, mooring, rigging, storage-off season, use...mobility on the the hard, etc. Of course, all is just my opinion and 

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Laser with wooden centerboard and rudder https://chautauqua.craigslist.org/boa/d/mayville-laser-sailboat-14/7138380777.html

Way overpriced. Also it is shown on two different trailers. A Kitty Hawk and then a regular trailer. I love the old sail and blades 

I shouldn't do this-

$2500 (negotiable) in NC. dead outboard, covered in pine straw. 20-21 ft trailer sailor. 

"Looking to sell the family sailboat. Don't know terribly much other than:
-Title is clear
-Needs cleaning and TLC"

I am definitely interested. 

00Q0Q_9Uu0pGWP3fO_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

00m0m_igPQJ17gcc9_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

After googling, it isn't one of the first 3 things I thought it was. What is it?

8 minutes ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

I shouldn't do this-

$2500 (negotiable) in NC. dead outboard, covered in pine straw. 20-21 ft trailer sailor. 

"Looking to sell the family sailboat. Don't know terribly much other than:
-Title is clear
-Needs cleaning and TLC"

I am definitely interested. 

00Q0Q_9Uu0pGWP3fO_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

00m0m_igPQJ17gcc9_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

4 minutes ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

K9u20 is on track.

Think we are looking at a Santana 2023.

Either "A" model or "R" model.

Bingo. I think an A... the first two years model had that transom mounted/inboard tiller which proved to be a weak link. Cool boats. What happened to the shaped cabin ports along the side of the cabin trunk?

Problem, it has a lot of plywood-under-glass and a fair amount of quick/dirty balsa core. Schock production quality was always a hit-or-miss and these were mostly "miss," from what I saw. But it's got a lot of potential as a very practical trailer-sailer weekender that will sail rings around most.

I sailed one of these a few times, and in company with one, for a few years. Then I owned and raced a Santana 23D, the original MORC daggerboard model... that was a VERY cool boat but was not not built to last. Needing major rebuild + sails + trailer rebuild was too much for me, I did not want to marry it so I sold it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43110001@N08/sets/72157643036677233/

Lead pic is us rounding the leeward mark ahead of a Ben 36.7 in light-ish air... fuckin' thing is a light air rocket. But the 2023 has less righting moment and less sail area.

FB- Doug

6 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

That Laser is grossly overpriced.  A wooden blade set is early construction.  That boat should be $500-700 tops.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:58 PM, Steve Clark said:

After 170, my Canoes had epoxy cored laminates because I had fallen into Ted Van Dusen’s orbit and things just had to get stiffer.  Once the Vanguard shop was up, I built a few Vinylester boats trying to keep the cost of a new boat down.  It didn’t work. 

SHC

Please tell us more about that orbit if you would!!

1 hour ago, Alan Crawford said:

A beautiful K-Boat in the Finger Lake are of NY. 16 feet long; built 1959.

https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/boa/d/williston-16-foot-sloop-boat-sail-boat/7127639391.html

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 12.20.07 PM.png

I need a sugar daddy!!! Somebody please buy it for me!! I will Sail it regularly and keep it maintained until I can’t anymore and I will then give it to the right person who I believe will continue the legacy. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I need a sugar daddy!!! Somebody please buy it for me!! I will Sail it regularly and keep it maintained until I can’t anymore and I will then give it to the right person who I believe will continue the legacy. 

Road trip Gouv!

Use your stimulus check 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I've got sailing buddies there in Vermont who will hold it for you I'm sure...

• Like 1

Pawleys Island 20 foot custom sailboat  -  Looks like someone put a TON of work into a sailboat that sorta looks like a sailboat and sorta looks like a non-sailor's idea of a sailboat. Nice woodworking though.   

Old Yeller, nice rig...spendy...

I know adv says loa is 20" But I swear it is 19 and very slik old LIghtning...but could not tell from poor pics...have to see more...but not for this swab. Nice though.

12 hours ago, BobBill said:

Old Yeller, nice rig...spendy...

I know adv says loa is 20" But I swear it is 19 and very slik old LIghtning...but could not tell from poor pics...have to see more...but not for this swab. Nice though.

I don't think it's a Lightning, too boxy, too much freeboard, and what you can see of the hull looks like it's too V'd.

17 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Not a bad looking boat overall, the only rigging I see on it is a single block on the cockpit floor. And the trailer looks decent.

One of the things that happens a lot, guys who want to build a boat picture themselves building a hull. Somehow, they don't see themselves hanging upside down getting all the deck hardware fastenings caulked and tightened, just right; or all the other super-PITA details of getting the boat more than "85%" finished (more like 50% usually). OTOH they can tell you all about all the different kinds of wood that went into various parts of the boat, and how it was sawn, etc etc.

FB- Doug

Probably no Lightning...but then, comes down to it....would it be worth a trip to inspect/buy...the one above may be the better option...in a month. Summer almost on us, which reminds me...

On 6/14/2020 at 3:04 PM, xonk1 said:

Pawleys Island 20 foot custom sailboat  -  Looks like someone put a TON of work into a sailboat that sorta looks like a sailboat and sorta looks like a non-sailor's idea of a sailboat. Nice woodworking though.   

Better come with a hammock...

18 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I think the mast is the right one. If so, the $300 is a decent deal. 
anybody know whether that mast would be the right current racing spar for the wood or I am restoring?? 

Could not honestly say re mast. But can say these are not simplebr rigs, nor built for crusing, though am sure can be done...Thistles are a threer in breezes...etc. I prefer to sail, maybe swill a bit, even if racing...but if glass Douglass boat with trailer, is good. Trailer a part of it, I recall not.

1986 Ligtning #14061 on Ebay.  Starting bid $19.99 but there are fees with this company so right now it's a $319.99 Lightning, still a deal.  Lots of covers...looks well cared for.

Lightning on Ebay

lightning.jpg

1 hour ago, WCB said:

1986 Ligtning #14061 on Ebay.  Starting bid $19.99 but there are fees with this company so right now it's a $319.99 Lightning, still a deal.  Lots of covers...looks well cared for.

Lightning on Ebay

lightning.jpg

Just saw that, a good deal for somebody that wants a modern Lightning

I also saw this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Wooden-Sailboat-with-Trailer-Beautiful-Condition/174304654759?hash=item28955df5a7:g:myYAAOSwYV9e2agK

s-l400.jpg

which is a lovely boat but seems a bit overpriced to me

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Wow!! Built before MFG bought Anchor Sailboats. I would love to see it just to see if they built it a couple hundred pounds lighter with functional rigging and decent sails. 
My guess is that boat cost under $1000 brand new. . 
of course the decimal point has more than moved on American money since the sixties.
When  that boat was new, Superman comics cost 12¢, The New York Times Sunday edition cost a quarter, Snickers cost 5¢ regular and 10¢ for a large, a Dilly Bar was 5¢, regular gas was 25¢ a gallon,  

4 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Wow!! Built before MFG bought Anchor Sailboats. I would love to see it just to see if they built it a couple hundred pounds lighter with functional rigging and decent sails. 
My guess is that boat cost under $1000 brand new. . 
of course the decimal point has more than moved on American money since the sixties.
When  that boat was new, Superman comics cost 12¢, The New York Times Sunday edition cost a quarter, Snickers cost 5¢ regular and 10¢ for a large, a Dilly Bar was 5¢, regular gas was 25¢ a gallon,  

And men working to support a family made 85c/hr

My first paycheck was ~40 bucks. I paid rent and bought a weeks groceries with it, and had change left over. Inflation is real but also keep in mind that inflation is the price of stability

- DSK

Steamer...did four year degree for $1500 year room, board, books, beer. Maybe reverse inflation/stability in above? Either way, maybe not! 

Repect breeds stability, avec no culling of overpopulated people needed. (C-19).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, WCB said:

@Admiral Hornblower weren't you looking for a Fireball?  Ebay Fireball in Wisconsin  $1,000 no bids

I was, but I already found one ( actually someone from our club gave it to me) which I am in the process of getting ready for the water. Thanks anyways.

I have a thread about it here.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, Old Yeller said:

Old Yeller,  Hey so this was me!  I posted her for sale, had a legit buyer wanting to take her sight unseen from 700 miles away.  Had Sellers remorse, cause she is so dam cool.  and ... well...I found my way here and whilst looking for restoration advice,  came across my old CL post link in your post.   I'd like to start a new thread with questions, but since I first landed here figured I'd say WHAT UP!!!   This boat has a fine history in the sense she survived 15 years under a covered shed in the mountains after she taught my friends to Sail and camp from a 505....they went on to trailer sail F28s through the bahamas and currently camp out of their home built sailing dory.  This boat was loved, but gettin old aint for sissies and needs some care,  great news is that the hull is in great shape.  not sure of her early history.  

I have hull number 2967, I am thinking  Parker but have little to confirm that, though its a curiosity.   My plan is to simply as possible bring her back to the eras rigging specs, and learn from her a couple years.  there are some structural issues with the transom rail and centerboard support,  nothing west system and common sense cant cure but .I'll save that for a forum post.  This post is really to say that I'm happy to be on this forum, you guys saw the boat and threw it on here, and its a connection that makes me happy that I didnt pass her on.  Though... I am now friends with the would be purchaser, looking forward to passing this story on to him.  Cheers. Ron  

505 cl.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, captain.rahn said:

Old Yeller,  Hey so this was me I

That’s awesome! Cool you decided to keep it! Ya the Craigslist thread here is pretty cool. I can’t wait to see how the restoration unfolds. If you’re in Charleston send me a private message.

On 6/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, Gouvernail said:

I think the mast is the right one. If so, the $300 is a decent deal. 
anybody know whether that mast would be the right current racing spar for the wood or I am restoring?? 

Yes, any Thistle mast anodized clear (silver) or black is sufficiently flexible to be competitive.  It's the gold anodized ones that are to be avoided because they are too stiff.

• Like 1
On 6/16/2020 at 8:40 AM, Admiral Hornblower said:

DSCN3179.thumb.JPG.e59e097612359f2ce33582bf1b5bcf91.JPG

A photo of it.

A really nice boat for a young fella such as yourself.  Don’t get too ambitious, rub down the varnish and make sure the grain is sealed so water doesn’t get in and start that rotting thing. Don’t worry about making it a show piece, there is a difference between maintenance and vanity.  Make sure the tanks don’t leak so you can right the boat after you capsize and can sail home.  Also make sure the rudder can’t fall off if the boat turns turtle. Seeing the rudder float away is very discouraging, and swimming after it can kill you. 

This is going to be way more fun than the little scow you built, and will answer your question about wooden boats going fast. You will need to find a friend to share the adventure.

SHC

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

00n0n_hTSlPY8QJu6_600x450.jpg

They've all had their fannies salted by the time I'm finished with them

Why Dex, you slut...I love the rig and your comment!