Craigslist Finds

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Oh man is this is funny!:lol:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/fuo/d/cleveland-sailboat-laser-coffee-table/7146804209.html

00x0x_8gyaYgHFazZ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

It even comes with a Cleveland Indians cap!

Oh boy, a Cleveland Indians cap, just what I always wanted.... they could at least connect a tube to the bailer so you could run any spills out the door. That looks more an impractical foot basin than a "table." Tables usually feature a flat surface so you can put stuff on it.

But hey, who am I to criticise other peoples taste in furniture

- DSK

• Like 1
On 6/2/2020 at 1:01 PM, MikeGolden said:

Hey, I got her !!!, She's now on LBI.... setting up to sail.   Does anyone know how to rig the front poll / spinnaker halyard?... pls connect w/ me.   Thanks

Did you figure this out?  I'm on LBI and owned a vector in the past.  Happy to help if you need it.

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilmanton-sailboat-14/7147578627.html

$350 for what looks like an old-rules Int'l 14 with a big-ass sprit added on

image.png.8235e9b9523603e56c22c54db40e5e42.png

Could be a heck of a fun ride, or an impossible challenge. But for $350, the big question is, has it been stripped on the line and hardware it needs to sail? Or coould you get it going again without a major outlay?

FB- Doug

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Could be a heck of a fun ride, or an impossible challenge. But for $350, the big question is, has it been stripped on the line and hardware it needs to sail? Or coould you get it going again without a major outlay?

FB- Doug

Just a guess, Chris Benedict boat. 

14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

$350 for a power wash, kind of funny if not unbelievable.  I think I'd go with $350 and stop at the car wash on the way home.

11 hours ago, Raz'r said:
14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Just a guess, Chris Benedict boat. 

Is that a pre-Aussie I-14?

I've actually been looking for either a GP14 or an Ulti14 butI'd jump on this in a heartbeat if it wasn't really long road trip away thru virus country

Yeah yeah everybody got an excuse!

FB- Doug

41 minutes ago, WCB said:

$350 for a power wash, kind of funny if not unbelievable.  I think I'd go with $350 and stop at the car wash on the way home.

This swab suspects all the used rigging, blocks, etc. are up front... and the rig is a deal, but no doubt will be acquired by a dodger who knows nada about 14s.

At his price, should not be hard to upgrade, if all the stuff sits...

My 14 days were pre trap...but lots of potential here, for playing "go fast." My seakenss has always been "redo." Not above ripping apart and re-rigging...the fun of making it work. 

49 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Is that a pre-Aussie I-14?

I've actually been looking for either a GP14 or an Ulti14 butI'd jump on this in a heartbeat if it wasn't really long road trip away thru virus country

Yeah yeah everybody got an excuse!

FB- Doug

SA network. I'll send my brother from Mass up to NH to get it for you.  

On 6/25/2020 at 9:57 PM, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Which one of you bought this? The ad is down.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, eliboat said:

That’s a good deal. Damn. 

That boat has been on the 505 site and cl off and on for a while. I was told it needs a lot of glass work. 2nd hand info but a trusted source. Still not a terrible price if your on the east coast

4 hours ago, WCB said:

49er in California.  $4000 with lots of sails.  Trades encouraged Olympic campaign starter boat

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 1.32.15 PM.png

Boat is probably soft, especially if it was an Olympic boat, would've been raced HARD. Also old rig, might be fun as a daysailer, but wouldn't be much help with an Olympic campaign.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 1.29.32 PM.png

Not unusual to see these in pairs

I had a good friend with 2 of these boats. His idea was that it would be fun to play mini America's Cup match race. We fiddled with all sorts of attempts at spinnaker rigging but it usually ended in a tangle. They are woefully slow and sitting down in one usually gave me a cramp. You can guess I did not find it to be all that much fun, I'd much MUCH rather sail a hiking dinghy.

FB- Doug

21 hours ago, WCB said:

Pair of Mini 12s for him and her.  Mini 12s in Rhode Island  $2,450

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 1.29.32 PM.png

There's a story (true?) about one of these being sailed downwind with the spinnaker up on Percy Priest Lake near Nashville, Tennessee that sank like a rock. Something about the bailer / bilge pump not being used. The person sailing was picked up but the boat is allegedly still on the bottom, fully rigged. Not as dramatic as One Australia's sinking in San Diego....

5 hours ago, posaune said:

They're actually in MA if it matters, I bought a Thistle-sized Seitech dolly from that guy. He has some interesting things!

Horseshoes and hand grenades.....close enough. ;) 

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Those look like Camp Seagull boats. I'd bet on them being in pretty darn good shape.

FB- Doug

They appear to be well maintained. Camp Seagull is a great place. 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:09 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

Oh man is this is funny!:lol:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/fuo/d/cleveland-sailboat-laser-coffee-table/7146804209.html

00x0x_8gyaYgHFazZ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

It even comes with a Cleveland Indians cap!

If anyone in or near NY wants to make one of these, I have the perfect donor boat.

There are a lot of Snipes around, pretty good boats. Chubasco was the world champ brand at one time, I'd expect that one to be worth some effort to fix up.

OTOH there's this little gem

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/d/willmar-scandinavian-cruiser-20-sailboat/7134478958.html

Scandinavian Cruiser 20 Sailboat - $20000

00S0S_8jSo7P6wLWv_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

Very snazzy looking! Probably a wet ride when the wind picks up, though.

It's got some very cool performance features, love the keel

01111_8O3nwR4CgcE_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Unfortunately, looks like it's parked on a motorboat trailer.

Somebody with the coin has really good taste.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

There are a lot of Snipes around, pretty good boats. Chubasco was the world champ brand at one time, I'd expect that one to be worth some effort to fix up.

OTOH there's this little gem

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/d/willmar-scandinavian-cruiser-20-sailboat/7134478958.html

Scandinavian Cruiser 20 Sailboat - $20000

00S0S_8jSo7P6wLWv_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

Very snazzy looking! Probably a wet ride when the wind picks up, though.

It's got some very cool performance features, love the keel

01111_8O3nwR4CgcE_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Unfortunately, looks like it's parked on a motorboat trailer.

Somebody with the coin has really good taste.

FB- Doug

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/scandinavian-cruiser-20-2

Carbon hull andrig

Dispacement #617

Ballast #309

Sailor, you and spouse must be light...Mirror, like DN is media borne and excellent for DIYers. Amazing sail, even with easy to make flat front stem or bow...know nothing about values.

2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:
3 hours ago, Oakley said:

Flying Saucer, I reckon. wrong sail insignia though

I think you're right.

That's a Snipe mainsail. Not new, either, but certainly a generation or so newer than the Flying Saucer OEM sails would be, now.

FB- Doug

3 hours ago, Quicksand19 said:

Yes indeed.

I know that boat well, and I can see that some of my "improvements" (more later) remain although others were removed...

That boat is this one

IMG_8724a-2.jpg

And was donated to our high school sailing program. We had two for a while, but we rarely got both of them sailing at once for a variety of reasons, and when that did happen, I was too busy to get good photos.

http://nbnjrotc-sail.blogspot.com/2014/05/

We had a bunch of high school sailors (it doesn't seem that long ago!), all but two of which had no prior experience in boats of any kind, yet in the 3 ~4 years they sailed here, they became somewhat jaded with FJs. The antidote was a donated 5O5 which I attempted to rig more simply and more crew-friendly; I had some good advice from some real 5O5 experts but the most commonly expressed reaction was disdain and the attitude that I must be a shitty coach if my students couldn't handle it.

My approach was to rebuild the critical structure (keelson, trunk braces, transom) to hold together, and simplify the staggeringly complex control lines. My advice was that the boat needed "everything" but we thinned it down to the ram, jib halyard/forestay, and mast rake. The jib halyard and rake (shrouds) were led to a continuous line so that tightening one eased the other. This and the ram were set on the side of the centerboard trunk where the panel strength was strong enough to carry rigging loads. I simplified the vang without losing it's effectiveness and changed it from a 4 ended control to just 2, so the skipper had the vang and the cunningham/downhaul on split control right by his hiking position. I also re-sewed two mainsails to raise the boom up.

This worked very well. The kids learned the new rigging (and just the halyards were very different), and very quickly... instantly in fact... that you cannot just sloppily throw it around and use your weight to dominate the boat. They quickly learned to think far ahead as I insisted that they carry out our classes' normal sail drill mixed up with the beginners in Oday Javelins and the 'advanced' sailors in FJs. They had to avoid traffic as they zoomed past the other boats, at first they were terrified but then they learned to love it.

I eventually gave this boat back to the man who donated it (thank you! It was a huge success while it lasted!!) who has made very nice upgrades/improvements. Whoever buys it will get a lot of new running rigging and some very nice sails, all donated while we had the boat.

FB- Doug

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yes indeed.

I know that boat well, and I can see that some of my "improvements" (more later) remain although others were removed...

That boat is this one

IMG_8724a-2.jpg

And was donated to our high school sailing program. We had two for a while, but we rarely got both of them sailing at once for a variety of reasons, and when that did happen, I was too busy to get good photos.

http://nbnjrotc-sail.blogspot.com/2014/05/

We had a bunch of high school sailors (it doesn't seem that long ago!), all but two of which had no prior experience in boats of any kind, yet in the 3 ~4 years they sailed here, they became somewhat jaded with FJs. The antidote was a donated 5O5 which I attempted to rig more simply and more crew-friendly; I had some good advice from some real 5O5 experts but the most commonly expressed reaction was disdain and the attitude that I must be a shitty coach if my students couldn't handle it.

My approach was to rebuild the critical structure (keelson, trunk braces, transom) to hold together, and simplify the staggeringly complex control lines. My advice was that the boat needed "everything" but we thinned it down to the ram, jib halyard/forestay, and mast rake. The jib halyard and rake (shrouds) were led to a continuous line so that tightening one eased the other. This and the ram were set on the side of the centerboard trunk where the panel strength was strong enough to carry rigging loads. I simplified the vang without losing it's effectiveness and changed it from a 4 ended control to just 2, so the skipper had the vang and the cunningham/downhaul on split control right by his hiking position. I also re-sewed two mainsails to raise the boom up.

This worked very well. The kids learned the new rigging (and just the halyards were very different), and very quickly... instantly in fact... that you cannot just sloppily throw it around and use your weight to dominate the boat. They quickly learned to think far ahead as I insisted that they carry out our classes' normal sail drill mixed up with the beginners in Oday Javelins and the 'advanced' sailors in FJs. They had to avoid traffic as they zoomed past the other boats, at first they were terrified but then they learned to love it.

I eventually gave this boat back to the man who donated it (thank you! It was a huge success while it lasted!!) who has made very nice upgrades/improvements. Whoever buys it will get a lot of new running rigging and some very nice sails, all donated while we had the boat.

FB- Doug

Awesome! the boat looks in great condition and I love the idea of simplifying a 505 to make it a good training boat. Your students must of had a blast.

How did they control it in stronger winds without a trapeze?

8 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Awesome! the boat looks in great condition and I love the idea of simplifying a 505 to make it a good training boat. Your students must of had a blast.

How did they control it in stronger winds without a trapeze?

Oh, the ones who learned to handle it decently LOVED it.

Most of the guys were much bigger than standard-issue FJ sailors. In fact a few guys from the football team have come thru the sailing squad, seeing two of them try to fit into an FJ is a laugh. So, when they learned to HIKE there was a lot of power there. OTOH we had a couple of skinny girls, including one Oriental young lady who was a very smart skipper and handled the boat quite well. 

The depower was thru mast rake and downhaul. The skipper could play the downhaul while sailing, but if they were HIKING and still overpowered, I came alongside in the coach motorboat, leaned in, and ran down some more rake for them. One of the few days we had both 5O5s out, the sea breeze was kicking up and I had to shuttle back and forth between them at top speed.

They also learned, playing the boom vang while flirting with being overpowered, what it really does. Exciting to watch, I swear they crashed so hard sometimes on death rolls that the boat should burst into flame.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Must be a disturbance in The Force, there's four MFG Bandits listed in the area around Pittsburgh. Here's one the guy wants to give to a good home

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/accident-sailboat-bandit-15/7153874815.html

Ditch those crappy Sidewinders, guys! This is still an MFG product but a much better one. Hell if I lived closer, I'd go get this.

FB- Doug

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Must be a disturbance in The Force, there's four MFG Bandits listed in the area around Pittsburgh. Here's one the guy wants to give to a good home

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/accident-sailboat-bandit-15/7153874815.html

Ditch those crappy Sidewinders, guys! This is still an MFG product but a much better one. Hell if I lived closer, I'd go get this.

FB- Doug

Aren't these the boats that @Gouvernail wants as a plug for a mold?

3 minutes ago, WCB said:

It is. Currently, Texans aren’t allowed in Pennsylvania but there is probably a work around. ....

Like filling my gas tank before entering the state, grabbing the boat, and leaving.

i guess I need to contact the guy 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, WCB said:

Oh wait.... here he is now....

1 minute ago, Gouvernail said:

It is. Currently, Texans aren’t allowed in Pennsylvania but there is probably a work around. ....

Like filling my gas tank before entering the state, grabbing the boat, and leaving.

It's a nice looking hull, I think I like it more than the Buccaneer. A little small for bench seats but a lot of people are more comfy with that configuration. Gotta be some SA brethren in the Pittsburgh area that would help out with this nefarious plot. What are the odds that 3 or 4 pop up at once?

FB- Doug

18 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

After posting this I started writing a note to the advertiser. As I was typing I realized, “I don’t really have the sufficiently powerful mad fantasy  necessary to spend At least $20,000 and a couple months worth of full time labor just to build a prototype of a toy nobody may want “

if I build a prototype, it is going to be my improved version of the Sidewinder 

• Like 2

Phooey..,, moment of weakness... I sent the guy an email telling him

my insane plans for his toy and asking if he is willing to give me a few weeks to work out logistics 

I gotta wonder if he has this one. I bought Sidewinder 2052 after we did the photos because.... it didn’t leak a drop  And because we had to have a Blue one for the 1979 colors , there weren’t any that color  warehouse, we brought in the  molds just to build that one boat and I ended up Personally squirting the gelcoat and assembling the hull and deck because there was no staff assigned to Sidewinder production that month. 

http://www.sailmfg.com/brochures/1979brochure/1979brochure.html

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

This is my own Ad, BTW:).https://ashtabula.craigslist.org/boa/d/linesville-mfg-sidewinder-sailboat/7162720456.html trying to sell it to pay for a GORGEOUS Force 5 

00x0x_b35P3G6cY2m_0au0dZ_600x450.jpg

You need to hook up with @Gouvernail as he may be looking for a Sidewinder.  Look at the few posts just above

On 7/15/2020 at 10:46 AM, Dex Sawash said:

Flying Saucer, I reckon. wrong sail insignia though

VLU7QCJIKYFC3LMMA7IOSONFBU.jpg

"Flying Saucer" was also the name of a famous Moth, which I think looks more like an alien visitor than the boat pictured above.

Sailed by Lewis Twitchell from Miami, FL, it won the 1953 Internationals. Twitchell was a 9-time Florida State Moth Champion (in several different boats). 

268380531_1953_MiamiSunburnRegatta_The_Miami_Herald_Mon__Mar_9__1953_Photo-LewisTwitchellFlyingSaucer.thumb.jpg.9fc31b62a84bc4f2a3780f806f93a3b3.jpg

1954-7-24_Twitchell-FlyingSaucer.thumb.jpg.4b022a6c7cb12aba24f460285e2a9641.jpg

I 110s and I 210s are as close we peons can get to majesty of sail....at low cost...seriously.

I used to take mine out alone, in wind, and giggle as she heel to the max and water rushed by my lee elbow, and cans rolled across the floorboards...then one day she went off on her own...

11070ExcelBeach.JPG

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BobBill said:

I 110s and I 210s are as close we peons can get to majesty of sail....at low cost...seriously.

I used to take mine out alone, in wind, and giggle as she heel to the max and water rushed by my lee elbow, and cans rolled across the floorboards...then one day she went off on her own...

11070ExcelBeach.JPG

I agree except that the 110/225 is a far superior shape than the 210. 

2 hours ago, eliboat said:

I agree except that the 110/225 is a far superior shape than the 210. 

Cannot say, as I never sat a 210 but makes sense, as the tenner is way-fast for a keeler...way fast and the  now legal traps make those babies fun fun fun. People used to ask why and I'd tell 'em it was caus they had a long bum...few believe those Hunt rigs plane on a reach...but take it from me, dey do....! Scary fun!  

Imagine doing one, center section and R and Ring the keel and all, all by my lonesome and no hoist, just stupid and balls...don't know if I could do it now. 

Eli, seems to me you are or were E-Boat swab. I used to do harm to some C-boats in a chop on Minnetonka, and C-boats move. The large waves under 24 feet sorta helped me out...and that was before I hung the wire...that the class pooh-poohed but later approved. Like I said I was ballsy stupid...ex 14 player.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:03 AM, BrianM v2 said:

An IC in Yorktown, VA for $950.  Old Dacron sails, ad says 'little use in the last decade.'  I'm not on IC water (shifty shallow river) or I'd try it myself.

'00r0r_dDLATbsUxPd_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

That's a crazy old one - wooden boom. That said, looks well maintained. Could be good fun if you stuck a new boom and sails on it. Has a carbon mast.

Best,
Willy