Craigslist Finds

On 11/15/2020 at 10:15 AM, Steam Flyer said:

And now for a Craigslist Find!

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/d/morton-14-whitehall-row-sail-boat/7230840447.html

14' Whitehall row/sail boat - $2,250 (Morton)

(near Philadelphia)

I admit, I love the classics although I've mostly sailed racing boats. This is going to be a lovely rowing boat, not such a great sailer.

whitehall14_00F0F_b7X0hYCSHTI_0CI0t2_1200x900.thumb.jpg.e69cfba4345845ceca474d158d00881a.jpg

whitehall14_00202_eM1ITCVOihp_0CI0t2_1200x900.thumb.jpg.e78e64b5916f75abd8a318cd39a35b2d.jpg

Looks almost exactly like the Whitehalls in Chapelle. And it's on a good trailer! I have to confess, if this were near me, I would think very very seriously about -begging- my wife to let me go buy it. Toying with the idea, even so... she might be game for a camper van "cruise"

whitehall14_00z0z_hJOCUfjBXfq_0CI0t2_1200x900.thumb.jpg.1fbbf68402dcf046a6d11ef07dd8bcdd.jpg

I could gaze at this transom all day.

I could also picture it with a big-ass standing lug and hiking straps.........

FB- Doug

I designed a cruising rowboat with a lug rig (stand and dip--could do both).
I love whitehalls but they do not turn. They do keep their course beautifully which was the point. They would row them against the wind or a fwd of beam wind out to get to the incoming sailing ship. They were used by Chandlers and the race was on to be first to the potential customer. But you already know this from reading H.I.C. :-)

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Posted Images

On 11/12/2020 at 11:55 AM, BobBill said:

WCB, Thanks. Nice site. 

Thing is, am glad I waited, I think (C-19 and winter).. 

Planned to use epoxy as adhesive but I learned it cures harder than the foam and fair sanding, even with longboard, is not easy. 

Need adhesive that cures soft...witch seems to be characteristic of Gorilla Glue...no rush now, so we can peruse around.  

Gorilla Glue. Foams as it cures and is minimally hard.

Otherwise try to keep glue like away from where you are fairing. Things have to be held together but not 100%.

SHC

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

Gorilla Glue. Foams as it cures and is minimally hard.

Otherwise try to keep glue like away from where you are fairing. Things have to be held together but not 100%.

SHC

Aye, and my thanks...so kewl...I dislike winter almost as much as my Iphone...

That Philly Boat is a nice find.......the price is right also. 

Good Find! I wonder what the boat weighs? This may be calling my name for my row model.....I drive by Philly to and from Florida AND I have a good friend there who would pick the thing up and store it for me.......

Maybe I am just dreaming. I will ask him what it weighs. 

Am sure it displaces and is a "tracker" and easy point to point rig, not liking to tack. And nice trailer. I should run over, but wife would poop on me. So we mask up and hope it is as nice as it appears. Let us know...and if you go. Pics close are fun. 

Did not mention spars/sales or step, so am curious. Am old Sharpie fan, besides being a swilling sailing slut.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, fastyacht said:

I designed a cruising rowboat with a lug rig (stand and dip--could do both).
I love whitehalls but they do not turn. They do keep their course beautifully which was the point. They would row them against the wind or a fwd of beam wind out to get to the incoming sailing ship. They were used by Chandlers and the race was on to be first to the potential customer. But you already know this from reading H.I.C. :-)

One of Phil Bolger's long standing jests... and it's funny because it's true... is that as soon as somebody shows up with a really good design for a rowing boat, everybody says "what a nice rowing boat, let's put sails on it!"

Before outboards (and I used to think I would live to see the era -after- outboards, but now it looks like not), the demand was for boats that would row easily and carry a load. 2 people became 4 people, or 3 people and a load of something (often fish). This 14-footer would have been of a size for a rental boat rowing on a small lake at a resort. Stretch it out to 16 or 18 feet, and you've got something that will row a captain or a pilot out to a ship thru a chop, or one oarsman row out to fetch in the first dozen chests of tea. The classic dories were designed for the same kind of service, except that they needed to stack, and not designed to look as fancy.

The properties we've come to think of as making a good-sailing small boat didn't even exist back then, so of course these designs are a very poor way to produce a high performance sailboat. Back then, the closest thing to a racing dinghy would be a sandbagger, and they rowed rather poorly.

But I can easily picture rowing this boat around our creek & harbor, my wife holding a parasol ....

FB- Doug

Doug, I think we agree. All sailing is relative, in fact, I think all is relative.

These rigs may tack slow and wide, but skipper must adjust. Moreover, I daresay, the skipper is not unawares. Class is class.

I would never think of putting a high aspect sail on such a boat and, likewise, would never expect much more than driving as hull permits with approprite stepping. But, there I go, pretending to be skipper of this serious rig...shoot me!

Am so tempted...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

Whitehalls are pretty efficient transportation if you use all the tools.  IE row straight upwind.

SHC

I'm seriously looking at this boat - for 70% rowing, 20% with a small motor on it and 10% sailing. 

Is there something about the design that makes rowing them in various directions (with or against 1 foot fetch, etc.) poor? 
Wasn't this the type of design that plied harbors back in the daze bring people and small loads from this pier to that and to ships, etc?

C'mon - talk me out of it. There is no way I'm going to consider this a main sailing craft....I promise! One person 90% of the time and no more than 3 ever. Plenty of distances where I sail (no small ponds), so having to go straight is not a minus!

It is a centerboard boat - so at least it doesn't have the lee boards. 

125 lbs. 

Built in British Columbia - original owner bought it from the factory and had it shipped and used it for only rowing (he has the sail tho). 

Trailer isn't in such great shape - at least I wouldn't trust it for 1,000 miles without some serious looking at.

Craingiri, if you look at it...pics are fun here...and let us know....how keelson is...

Doug, why a "short time" put em in with the motor to soak...more jetsam...but never (me such a slut) never thought someone would motorize it...ahh sainted I must be now.

Slainte!

Steve, you think they are more straight-line than a Sharpie? Interesting. Never thought of it. Was on a Sharrpie once, woody, had a keel astern, i think. Like a rowboat then. 

But, I daresay we older swab-dodger-sluts no care...

58 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Craingiri, if you look at it...pics are fun here...and let us know....how keelson is...

Doug, why a "short time" put em in with the motor to soak...more jetsam...but never (me such a slut) never thought someone would motorize it...ahh sainted I must be now.

Slainte!

Sorry, that was a bit harsh. When I get ideas like that, the ghost of my grandfather haunts me

FB- Doug

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Do not put a motor on this boat.

You should be consigned to a dark pit... for a short time, just as a lesson... for even thinking about it. Some things are seriously against the natural order. And ugly.

Just don't

- DSK

He has a motor which I told him I didn't want...probably a cheap trolling w/separate battery.

But I was thinking of getting a Torquedo or something for those times when I want to take a family picnic to the beach a couple miles away. At least that has the built in battery, is German made and can also be used on other craft I might get.  But that would be later....anyway. I had no problem with rowing for miles across the bay in RI and this should row better than my plastic Walker Bay. 

In Florida a lot of dudes get the flat boats and those angled motors so they can motor up the 6" deep "rivers" (mostly drainage ditches).....or lakes which are a foot deep. 

• Like 1

Whitehalls are a generic term for gigs and other rowing watercraft that were necessary to the commerce of American Seaports in the days before internal combustion engines.  They were often the fastest way to get on or off Manhattan.  There were no bridges and  the ferries were slow and operated on a schedule.  Kind of like taking a taxi instead of the bus.  There were different sizes that served different needs. As with most traditional small craft, the people who used and built them refined them continuously.  They weren’t dummies, so after a few hundred variations ( or prototypes) the compromises for specific use in a specific place were pretty well ironed out.

Whitehalls are nice efficient flow speed shapes.  With any form you should be able to maintain about 4 knots all day long.  Trying to go much over 5 or6 isn’t really going to happen.  The boat isn’t shaped to plane and it will trim bow up as it tries to exceed hull speed because of the lack of water plane aft. Funny to mention, but when sailing ended boats ( symmetrical bow and stern) you move forward when you start going fast to counteract the squat.   Row boats are typically finer lined than sailboats because they don’t need the stability to carry sail, at the waterline they are pretty much double ended to put the water back together without drawing a big wake. The fancy wineglass on a Whitehall stern is entirely to provide another place to park an ass, and has nothing to do with the hydrodynamics of the hull.  Row boats and canoes also make a priority of tracking in a straight line without having to be steered and so have virtually straight keel lines.  Sailboats tend to be heavier for their length ( because of ballast) or beamier ( for stability) and thus make a bigger hole in the water, which means that they have less depth in the ends, and they rely on rudders to keep them on course.    

Knowing this should tell you that even with a centerboard, the Whitehall will be tipper than a sailboat of equal length and so will not stand up to a press of sail like a conventional sailboat of equal length.  This will mean that when beating you will be overpowered sooner than a Laser or equivalent.  Your rig will not be as efficient, and you will tack slowly.  In short you will get clubbed around if you race upwind under sail.  If you row straight to windward at 3.75 knots, you will beat anything that doesn’t tack through 90 and go 4.5.  Most sit on the side sailing dinghies aren’t that fast.  John Osborne said “ The only really efficient way to go up wind is with a large diesel engine.”  Rowing is sort of the same thing in small boats. Once off the wind, the Whitehall is a nice slippery shape that will slide along just fine but will be less and less efficient the faster you push it.  Anything resembling a planing will actually be fast mushing.

If this satisfies your anticipated use, then you will find this a nice little boat.  I will point out that usually the sailing kit that comes with boats like this is pretty crude stuff.  Sails aren’t well cut, rigging is agricultural and the less said about the foils the better.  Attention detail that brings the sailing gear onto par with what modern sailors know and expect will pay large dividends.

The Sharpie Hull is a completely different kettle of fish.  In their case the hull form was determined by the development of powered gang saws which made wide planks cheaply available. Like the invention of plywood, hulls with sharp corners became easier and cheaper to build.  In North America where big trees were common the non hand powered working boats became chined hull forms strictly for economic reasons.  You got more boat for the same dollar.  Work boats that had to be rowed, like the Whitehalls and gigs and whale boats continued to be carefully modeled because efficiency was linked to profitability.

SHC

• Like 4

What Steve said.

The Whitehall was the aristocrat (no jokes please) of the working rowing craft.

The basic type is called a 'wherry' and they came in a range of shapes and sizes. Usually the hulls had a good bit of flare both to give reserve buoyancy for carrying loads, to keep water out in chop/waves (staying home in rough weather meant no income), and to give a spread to the oars. Most were simpler shapes to build, and less expensive.

When you see pics of the big schooner or steam yachts of the 1880s or 1890s, they carried Whitehalls in davits. Some of the expensive lake resorts had small pleasure boats to row around, they were often Whitehalls or somewhat bastardized (cheaper to build but looking as similar as possible) copies. The fore quarters and transom are distinctive and IMHO there are few prettier hulls.

The long straight keel which makes it difficult to turn was an advantage at work, they were easier to row along a straight course in a cross wind or chop.

FB- Doug

As I recall, the only Sharpie I was on, was in Chesapeake Bay, and moved well. We might have push-polled it to get off the mud flats but once the sails were up, it went..and I recall the cotton sails were heavy. Indeed, I do like the class shape, very aristocratic, like a certain gal I knew then too. as Doug says...am sure the Sharpie we sailed was all of 18' LOA, and, as I recall, it had a small skeg astern. Also, the rudder was attached firmly and dragged in the muck.

The LOA might be comparable. but with Clark's description, I see two different rigs..Long and straight, and heavy, relatively speaking. still class act, like the schooners...gotta luv the knowing, and the doing. 

• Like 1
On 11/19/2020 at 6:04 PM, Steam Flyer said:

The Whitehall was the aristocrat (no jokes please) of the working rowing craft.

A man hires a ferry on the Thames. He asks the waterman if he can have a go at the oars. "They ain't 'ores mister, that's me wife and me mum"

The aristocrats joke is better.

• Like 2

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find. 

Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think it is in good shape and had a friend inspect it. 

Lord willing someone here will see me in it on Sarasota Bay about the first of the New Year!

Screen_Shot_2020-11-23_at_11_04.58_AM.png

• Like 6

I do hope this rig does as it looks...you dog, am jealous...let us know how it goes and thank...Almost...but have a penchant for sailing...and, hate to mention it Sharpies and Banshees, though have hand full with me own rig. Am soft, always on tip of mast, looking out.

Here is the last known info in case anyone runs across the same boat - he did make 100's of them. Just putting this here fore the record.

No doubt I will be sails up (on some other boat) on my "real sailing" daze, but I picture throwing a grandkid or two in this as well as my own exercise. I've never been a boat collector but at these prices and sizes I might build a small navy. Not having to even register the boat is a big plus it itself...

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 5.09.23 PM.png

On 11/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, Major Tom said:

Looks a bit like it was designed by the same person who designed this

image.jpeg.41f9b9c331d153bf8e12f6f045b19fc2.jpeg

Hey, the Fiat Multipla was displayed at the Museum of Modern art in New York...

Next thing you know you will say Picasso can't draw

pablo-picasso-tete-de-femme-1939-head-of

12 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Those wings look well done. I'd wonder about dragging the lee wing, but I'd like to try it out.

However the "I have a great source for a sail" does not sound encouraging. Without a good sail, there really isn't a point in having those wings for more horsepower.

The rudder and the metal plate over the transom says 'kludge' to me. That, plus the rusty-ass undersize trailer, make it a less than great deal IMHO.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
On 11/24/2020 at 10:08 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Those wings look well done. I'd wonder about dragging the lee wing, but I'd like to try it out.

However the "I have a great source for a sail" does not sound encouraging. Without a good sail, there really isn't a point in having those wings for more horsepower.

The rudder and the metal plate over the transom says 'kludge' to me. That, plus the rusty-ass undersize trailer, make it a less than great deal IMHO.

FB- Doug

Those wings look heavy...really heavy. 

18 minutes ago, jimmydyurko said:

Aren't they supposed to be heavy?  You're using them to hike out and hold the boat flat.  The heavier the better, no?  Certainly solves the problem of the small cockpit. 

1 minute ago, PaulK said:

Aren't they supposed to be heavy?  You're using them to hike out and hold the boat flat.  The heavier the better, no?  

The benefit of the extra wing weight to windward is canceled by the weight to leeward...just increases displacement

They look like the could be heavy if if cored they might not be

It's obviously designed to fold the leeward wing in, isn't it?  That's what the picture shows, with them folded in. ;)  Just like those AC boats in Kiwiland!!

1 minute ago, PaulK said:
18 minutes ago, jimmydyurko said:

Aren't they supposed to be heavy?  You're using them to hike out and hold the boat flat.  The heavier the better, no?  

The only vehicle that benefits from added weight is a steamroller (quote from Uffa Fox)

Since there is one on each side, the overall effect of the wings on righting moment would be zero. They enable the sailor to get his weight much further out, they don't need to be heavy for that.

I assumed they were wood, and wondering how strong they were. If they are glass/foam core, they may not be that heavy and still be plenty strong

FB- Doug

Sailing Saw I use often, though orig referred to sails...:"If it looks good, if it looks bad, it is bad.

The One always looked good to me, though never sailed one. This One is well done but appears fraught with unseen ..."

And a prospect of using Performance spar is scary, to me. Everyone has a view, I know, but boat classes should center views.  

$250 for a sailing and rowing Skimmar?

Someone here wants it......

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/d/port-charlotte-skimmar-96-sailing-dinghy/7240964530.html

I can see how this could be addicting. If I lived in one place and had some room I'd make a little hobby of picking these up at prices like that - polishing and reselling.

Just chatted with a guy today - in FL - who does that with sunfish - I think be buys and sell 100 or so of them per year and lots of parts. Sounds like a nice way to make some money, meet people and screw around. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 9.28.58 PM.png

1 hour ago, craigiri said:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/d/port-charlotte-skimmar-96-sailing-dinghy/7240964530.html

I can see how this could be addicting. If I lived in one place and had some room I'd make a little hobby of picking these up at prices like that - polishing and reselling.

Just chatted with a guy today - in FL - who does that with sunfish - I think be buys and sell 100 or so of them per year and lots of parts. Sounds like a nice way to make some money, meet people and screw around. 

In a place like one of the bigger cities near good sailing, maybe.

You could spend a heck of a lot of time chasing around, and a heck of a lot more time on the most menial of menial labor, and then spend a lot of money on needed parts, and come away with very small profit and the conclusion that most small boats are crappily built.

The best way to make a small fortune in any boat-related business is to start with a large fortune.

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, craigiri said:

Not me. I already have one of those piece of garbage Skimmar boats. It came free as a tender with a larger boat I bought. It has more gelcoat cracks then anything I've ever seen (I think they put the gelcoat on too thick there must be a half inch of the stuff)

It came with mast and boom but no sail, rudder, or center board. I built the rudder and CB out of plywood. Then I started researching sails. A new sail costs more than this thing can ever be worth. So I cut up an old sail to make my own. 

Repainted the hull. Re- varnished the oars. Replaced the wood thwart and daggerboard cap with Ipe. I.ve spent over 100 damn hours on this piece of junk which I should have thrown away instead of thinking I had a deal. 

Oh and did I mention the thing is so small that you need to cross your legs when trying to row it? 

11 hours ago, craigiri said:

Just chatted with a guy today - in FL - who does that with sunfish - I think be buys and sell 100 or so of them per year and lots of parts. Sounds like a nice way to make spend some money, meet people and screw around. 

It's a fab hobby. I live in Miami and let me say, there's no way he'd make any money.

Here's a nice looking 1976 Vanguard Finn located in Cazenovia, NY for $300 (broken mast included) or $500 with the trailer.

Caz is a special place in the world of US Finn sailing.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/d/manlius-76-finn-sailboat-with-trailer/7235348962.html

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 9.13.47 AM.png

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Grestone said:
On 12/4/2020 at 4:57 PM, bartman99 said:

I think, yes?  Has leeboard, no ballast, under 20'  I'd say it is more dinghy than any converted canoes that show up here.

It's also freaking cool.

Well, that kind of boat was called a 'keel' back in the day, but then again they didn't really have dinghies as we know them so that isn't definitive.

Cool, agree!

And now for something completely different

https://dayton.craigslist.org/boa/d/dayton-505-sailboat/7232080811.html

A Parker 5O5 #3934 looks like older rigging but in sailing shape. I put this in the "if closer would jump on it" category

FB- Doug

On 12/4/2020 at 9:27 AM, martin 'hoff said:

It's a fab hobby. I live in Miami and let me say, there's no way he'd make any money.

Yeah, I'd never make it a "business plan" nor ever suggest anyone get into the boat business other than for the purposes of losing money. I remember when it was the rage for some investors around philly (lawyers, and dentists) to all partner and buy a small boat works down at the beach and have someone manage it for them. 
I think they forget to teach a lot of things in Dental School - including basic common sense. Let's see - 11% a year in the market or deal with making boats?? I'm glad others have the boat building desire....high respect for those who did and do it for the love of the craft. 

The dude I chatted with lives in the Lake District up there near Orlando and all....and life can be cheap down there inland. He said he does 60K a year just on eBay, so if we double that he might be pulling in 40G profit when done - which, along with Social Security or a small pension or whatever - you'd be fine in one of those "Florida Man" towns.

You know how it is. My parents had a million dollar condo on Bay Harbor. My MIL had a 40K condo in DeRay. 
While they were different, there weren't THAT different. Both have two bedrooms and two baths. DeRay had more pools and tennis counts, but no ocean view.

I sold big ticket stuff much of my life so I am completely spoiled. 

Let's just summarize that the Skimmar ain't gonna have buyers lining up. Maybe it would be good to fill with fireworks and parade it then sink it in a 4th of July Parade...or something. 

I'm ready for the next "find".......to be posted. 

I sort of hang here to see "crafty" boats that make sense, so I guess I will agree with Craigiri.

Yes, we get the low- and high-end 505s, FDs and holdovers from corporate errata in the 70s; and then something older and unique shows, like the wood Finn some gals in MA put up or the occasional Banshee and the recent planked rigs, (not the 505) which are mildly different and smack of wondrous days at sea. The 17 Viking critter may be more Keeler and impractical, but no one will complain it is a 4KSB rig, sporting and  imitation tanbark sail...keep 'em coming please. Variety speeds just as the missing OKs, Finns, Lehmans and InterClubs faire open our eyes to a lost world. Is Boat Porn the adjetival phrase? One thing is for sure, NO helmets needed!

On 12/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, steveo said:

Not me. I already have one of those piece of garbage Skimmar boats. It came free as a tender with a larger boat I bought. It has more gelcoat cracks then anything I've ever seen (I think they put the gelcoat on too thick there must be a half inch of the stuff)

It came with mast and boom but no sail, rudder, or center board. I built the rudder and CB out of plywood. Then I started researching sails. A new sail costs more than this thing can ever be worth. So I cut up an old sail to make my own. 

Repainted the hull. Re- varnished the oars. Replaced the wood thwart and daggerboard cap with Ipe. I.ve spent over 100 damn hours on this piece of junk which I should have thrown away instead of thinking I had a deal. 

Oh and did I mention the thing is so small that you need to cross your legs when trying to row it? 

That’s a sea dog... buy it and race in the awesome Wickford RI sea dog frostbite fleet.  

9 hours ago, eliboat said:

That’s a sea dog... buy it and race in the awesome Wickford RI sea dog frostbite fleet.  

What Sea Dog?...The 17' Viking replica>>>"dinghy?! " Lee boards and no ballast or shields. Seems a strainght liner...like the hourglass beauty.

Love to see rigs never heard of. The Viking rig reminds of a labor of love we saw here....All wood and bronze, built in back yard tent up on top of the bluffs here, weighed a ton and builder was 80ish and needed pickup to move...would post pics but not avail at moment. Such craftmansship...

Re the Dog, I wonder how bilge is accessed? Seems important. 

On 12/6/2020 at 2:17 AM, BobBill said:

I sort of hang here to see "crafty" boats that make sense, so I guess I will agree with Craigiri.

This is a vessel that might interest you. There are still some out there. I quibble with the ad here in that I am thinking it was a hot molded boat. 

Peanut Boat — Peanut Class Sailing Dinghy

Spankoka, love it. Alas, a bit spendy and already have rig...but we do think alike in different places...

Thanks. Est bon bateau...I am such a sea-slut, rig only needs crafty, me, cooler for swill, sail. And, perhaps room for crew. Most of the time I sail solo, sadly,.

Peanut would do nicely on our dismal pond...seriously. Have save site. MIght go better with Tanbark cloth...???

I do have one question, is sail brailled or furled in normal fashion?

Edited by BobBill

128623417_10225210034904938_6488751473047835449_o.thumb.jpg.6c2c2b175c972db9fdc5a44c4d786afb.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/717114028919530/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined

FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE AD READS: Bought some land this summer and the previous owners left a sail boat with no trailer. Free to good home. You haul. As is, definitely a fixer upper. Its 16 ‘4” long 8’ wide about 5’ tall keel is 12”

Not sure if the link will work, but this can be found in the Rockford Michigan Facebook Marketplace listings.

128621066_10225210034224921_5166051263529206835_o.jpg

128755165_10225210034144919_2612577281565864176_o.jpg

128601912_10225210034064917_7956911212681614115_o.jpg

128788238_10225210033824911_2595795998080932583_o.jpg

128772683_10225210033184895_7403215306156343489_o.jpg

128798852_10225210034344924_7476891186130290935_o.jpg

At least he's honest

Boat like object - $500 (Eugene)

What is there to say about such a wretched hole in the water as this?
Does it float? I don’t know. It does behave well as a basin, so...it’s not unlikely.
Do the tires hold air? Again, I don’t know. Will the trailer roll? “Roll” would be a charitable characterization, but they do turn.
Can it be resurrected? Only the optimistic, poetic heart of a sailor can say.
Make an offer.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/d/eugene-boat-like-object/7210652697.html 

00H0H_hgmsB7lhHBa_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

1 hour ago, See Level said:

At least he's honest

Boat like object - $500 (Eugene)

What is there to say about such a wretched hole in the water as this?
Does it float? I don’t know. It does behave well as a basin, so...it’s not unlikely.
Do the tires hold air? Again, I don’t know. Will the trailer roll? “Roll” would be a charitable characterization, but they do turn.
Can it be resurrected? Only the optimistic, poetic heart of a sailor can say.
Make an offer.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/d/eugene-boat-like-object/7210652697.html 

00H0H_hgmsB7lhHBa_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Fuck, that's a Banshee!

Somebody jump on that bad boy!

FB- Doug

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Fuck, that's a Banshee!

Somebody jump on that bad boy!

FB- Doug

Just what I thought...but have me troubles on the farm now. Worst might be rotted transom and spiders around step  easy but picky fixes, maybe the slot area.

24 minutes ago, wannabefd said:

AA A boat named Chiquita

00R0R_85xNk05yqzO_0fu0bC_1200x900.jpg

A Star re-rigged with a wish-bone boom?

Interesting idea, if it doesn't put even more stress on a mast already prone to bedlam & breakage. Pretty, powerful boats... always liked the Star

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, wannabefd said:

AA A boat named Chiquita

00R0R_85xNk05yqzO_0fu0bC_1200x900.jpg

Cool I guess, however I’m not sure what you gain here.  The CoE is now further aft without the jib as the mast location is still the same.  The foot of the sail looks about the same, so while you may avoid getting that bonk on the head that anyone who has raced stars knows well, you could still get clotheslined by the sail. If this had been a true cat rig conversion, it would be more interesting 

Looks nice...

Doug, if I may suggest, ease might be reason for the wishy on the Star boat.

Might be less stress or easier hoist..

They do hang different though.

Been looking at crafting a carbon one for my crazy Malibu Outrigger do-over...

Thing is, they are supposedly a bit slow..slower, (have no idea why) but seems can be set easier if one thinks about it and trade-offs. 

Do not know as yet...just had idea but love post. Mentor once said (re sails) "Kid...if it looks good, it is good."

Looks good to me...

Not a true cat boat, just dropped the jib for solo simplicity.

Not sure what is going on with the running backstay but they look doubled up to strengthen the mast.

For a grand including trailer it has great appeal.

Yellow color is a bonus.

00X0X_iuEHUC64yb0_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

"Double runners" are standard on Star masts. Properly known as 'runners' (upper wires) and 'checks' (lower wire). Esp needed in this modification due to the increased forward loading of the wishbone booms.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, WCB said:

Force 5 in Philly, PA. Starting bid on Ebay is $99. 

$99 problems but the boat ain't one...but it's a little dirty

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 4.32.59 PM.png

I just bought this! I had been looking for a Force 5 unseriously for several years. Put in a low bid ($510) and voila! It shall be mine. Looks like the hull will need to be stripped and cleaned. Check on the fiberglass repair. Maybe a new sail and some lines and she should be ready to go.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gregg28 said:

I just bought this! I had been looking for a Force 5 unseriously for several years. Put in a low bid ($510) and voila! It shall be mine. Looks like the hull will need to be stripped and cleaned. Check on the fiberglass repair. Maybe a new sail and some lines and she should be ready to go.

That's great!  My wife's aunt and uncle have one at their lake house in Canada. Every time we go there I end up working on it and sailing it around for a bit. Fun boats.

Looking forward to it. I still have not told my wife though. 

I did a similar restoration on a Frontrunner 19 that I picked up in a similar way. I love that boat! But no racing near me.

Re Gregg's new FF...only better wet rig might be a Banshee, but good on ya...nice a bateau. I might have some parts for a FF, and know I have at least one mast spar outside, in back  Sucker are fun....Speed is always relative, but you will have no problem on a FF. Just enough mahogany to smell like a boat too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gregg28 said:

Congrats! 

And please check the hull for air leaks before you go sailing.  

7 hours ago, Gregg28 said:
On 12/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, WCB said:

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 4.32.59 PM.png

Congrats! That is awesome, I sailed a F5 years ago and really liked the boat. This looks a like a good trailer too, and at least a somewhat decent sail (these are the two really expensive, really necessary, parts).

I think your area is getting dumped on right now, weather wise, but sailing days will hopefully come ssoon

FB- Doug

Thanks all. Pretty juiced. I hope to pick it up on Saturday. 

I know about airholes. The Frontrunner that I did had a half dozen 1"ers in the hull. Looked like rebar poked through. They didn't happen to mention it in the description.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:39 AM, Gregg28 said:

Good luck, Gregg28!  I've enjoyed working on my two force5.

41 minutes ago, bourdidn said:

Technically not a dinghy, but then again, not sure what it is...

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/d/hammond-trimaran-sailboat/7246583827.html

Blaise

Whatever it was, it either sold very quickly or the owner decided he was embarassed to show it.

This posting has been deleted by its author.

FB- Doug

On 12/17/2020 at 6:55 AM, Gregg28 said:

Thanks all. Pretty juiced. I hope to pick it up on Saturday. 

I know about airholes. The Frontrunner that I did had a half dozen 1"ers in the hull. Looked like rebar poked through. They didn't happen to mention it in the description.

Picked it up today. Wow, they never tell you. Looks like he left it strapped down to the trailer for too long. The bottom of the hull has a dent and a crack from the bunk. Everything else looks great. All of the spars, hardware, wood and sail look very serviceable. Probably will replace the lines. It needs a good cleaning, sanding and some glass work and it should be ready for the water.

Force 5 small 2.jpg

• Like 1

Rig is missing some mahogany...deck splash "V" and what was over the dagger case with blocks attached (traveler). This hulls have chines but still should be hung on traier or stood on end (transom)...But, used parts are out there...new is usually too spendy and have fit problems, from what heard. Still, great rig and you will have fun. I think Weeks still supplies parts and spars. I may have uppers languishing in back...shipping...is cost.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BobBill said:

Rig is missing some mahogany...deck splash "V" and what was over the dagger case with blocks attached (traveler). This hulls have chines but still should be hung on traier or stood on end (transom)...But, used parts are out there...new is usually too spendy and have fit problems, from what heard. Still, great rig and you will have fun. I think Weeks still supplies parts and spars. I may have uppers languishing in back...shipping...is cost.

Everything is there. The rig and sail are very good,  wood is OK, trailer is excellent. Worth it just for the parts & trailer. Not sure what I can do with the hull, but Imma gonna give it a try...