Craigslist Finds

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

I'm really puzzled by this photo. WTF just happened? The wading guy in the wetsuit... just fell out? Teaching the other guy to sail and just let go a little too soon? And where was the person standing who took the photo??

In any event, the $1250 for the 5O5, above, is a much better deal than the "Scorpion" (I don't think that's what it is) in the next ad for the same price.  Is there a sailing club in Detroit that is trying to clear out unwanted boats from their lot?

FB- Doug

24 minutes ago, LFL said:

00S0S_bAEAmdUppRK_0nr0t2_600x450.jpg

Only $195 for this 1960's wooden, uh, something near Spokane, WA.  Sail made from an old air force parachute, so maybe haggle them down a few bucks so you can make something better from a blue poly tarp.

https://pullman.craigslist.org/boa/d/tekoa-wood-sailboat-complete-project/7240212760.html

Bet that's a Stevenson Boat Plans Mini Cup

il_794xN.2468628410_cujl.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PaulK said:

Why do you think they put the centerboard in the Craigslist boat backwards?

Because they don't know any better?

Although it's possible the Stevenson Projects plans show it that way. It is not a sophisticated design.

FB- Doug

Not sure what made me smile more in this listing - the “hillbilly sail made from an old Air Force parachute” or that you can pick it up for a crossbow and a few chickens.

• Like 1

Probably just stick on rig, randomly...

Still, pic of rig shows a brailed sail and the one in the harbor  what appears to be a modified "wishbone," spar, interesting on such a small hull and lateen sail....have to investigate. New to me.

40 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Probably just stick on rig, randomly...

Still, pic of rig shows a brailed sail and the one in the harbor  what appears to be a modified "wishbone," spar, interesting on such a small hull and lateen sail....have to investigate. New to me.

Stevenson Projects is a beginner woodworking "plans" developer/seller. Their sailboats are easy & cheap to build.... well, they're expensive comparatively, looking at the furniture and wooden toy cars... but they are awful boats. I applaud the impulse to build, but deplore the lack of knowledge that leads to thinking a Dr Seuss cartoon is what a "sailboat" should be like.

[edit to add] https://stevproj.com/

Forgot the link

FB- Doug

Edited by Steam Flyer
forgot the link
On 12/27/2020 at 12:18 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Stevenson Projects is a beginner woodworking "plans" developer/seller. Their sailboats are easy & cheap to build.... well, they're expensive comparatively, looking at the furniture and wooden toy cars... but they are awful boats. I applaud the impulse to build, but deplore the lack of knowledge that leads to thinking a Dr Seuss cartoon is what a "sailboat" should be like.

Forgot the link

FB- Doug

Their plans leave quite a bit to be desired, but you can build and sail them.  

When I first got into sailing I bought a couple of their plans that I thought looked like fun (mini foiler & wing dinghy) 

Despite being pretty darn new to sailing a close look at their plans told me they weren't worth building.

I met a guy sailing one of their pocket yacht designs down in Alabama one winter.  Boat was amazingly ...uhh interesting.

They had 'swages' made by copper tubing crimped on loops of wire to terminate the standing rigging.  

Rudder gudgeons were just pairs of eye bolts with a pin as a hinge.

I can't imagine the builder saved real money by using such makeshift hardware (and following the plans).   Real sailboat hardware is pricier than hardware store scrap.  But only if you don't count the cost of broken parts....

22 minutes ago, jimmydyurko said:
On 12/27/2020 at 12:18 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Forgot the link

FB- Doug

Their plans leave quite a bit to be desired, but you can build and sail them.  

When I first got into sailing I bought a couple of their plans that I thought looked like fun (mini foiler & wing dinghy) 

Despite being pretty darn new to sailing a close look at their plans told me they weren't worth building.

I met a guy sailing one of their pocket yacht designs down in Alabama one winter.  Boat was amazingly ...uhh interesting.

They had 'swages' made by copper tubing crimped on loops of wire to terminate the standing rigging.  

Rudder gudgeons were just pairs of eye bolts with a pin as a hinge.

I can't imagine the builder saved real money by using such makeshift hardware (and following the plans).   Real sailboat hardware is pricier than hardware store scrap.  But only if you don't count the cost of broken parts....

I had a neighbor who inherited an "almost finished" Stevenson Weekender in his garage. Originally his intent was to throw it out, but I guess he had other chores to do first and the next thing you know, he started finishing it. He saw the sailboats come and go from our house, and eventually asked me to help him figure out how to rig it up and sail it. I knew nothing about the Stevenson plans/boats at the time but it just looked like somebody who knew nothing about boats had started whacking it together saying "How hard can it be?"

It floated and it would sort-of sail if your standards were very low. It would not go upwind any better than slightly above a beam reach and tacking was very hit-or-miss. I took the guy sailing in my Lightning once and he was astonished at how fast it was and how easy it was to make it go where you wanted ... when your boat only goes downwind, "where you want to go" always turns into upwind.

Hardware store scrap is much more difficult to assemble into a working system, and it generally rots or corrodes into uselessness very quickly. I'll bet there is not a single Stevenson Weekender in existence that has "sailed" more than a dozen times or survived creeping rot more than a few years.

Which is just as well, all things considered.

FB- Doug

Alan that is a nice Thistle and in decent area, priced nice...and as with wood rigs, one needs to inspect...

Heavy duty trailer is worth a few shekels too. 

Always liked to boat, but hard to get three together to crew/go. I did a lot of lone-sails...in keeler.

Still, bon bateau! Wonder where the dodger put in in Bay area?

39 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Still, bon bateau! Wonder where the dodger put in in Bay area?

I believe Thistles are raced (were raced) at Richmond YC during the winter when the breeze is a bit "milder".

Yeah, for someone wanting a wood Thistle without first having to do a full restoration, that boat looks like a good choice.

Nice Vector in Baton Rouge...

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/d/baton-rouge-vanguard-vector/7256018690.html

Maybe I am biased because it's my boat, but that's a damn nice looking Vector at a very good price... And before I get flamed, yes, I bought an ad https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/2001-vanguard-vector-skiff-in-pristine-condition/

Blaise

• Like 2
On 1/3/2021 at 12:23 PM, bourdidn said:

Nice Vector in Baton Rouge...

https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/d/baton-rouge-vanguard-vector/7256018690.html

Maybe I am biased because it's my boat, but that's a damn nice looking Vector at a very good price... And before I get flamed, yes, I bought an ad https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/2001-vanguard-vector-skiff-in-pristine-condition/

Blaise

Damn nice package and really fair price!

• Downvote 1

Not on craiglist, but:

I was cleaning out the garage and found an older waterrat 505 rudder that didn't leave my life when the boat did.

Anyone have a use for it? Free to a good/mediocre/bad home.

In Santa Cruz, CA.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, stinky said:

Not on craiglist, but:

I was cleaning out the garage and found an older waterrat 505 rudder that didn't leave my life when the boat did.

Anyone have a use for it? Free to a good/mediocre/bad home.

In Santa Cruz, CA.

PM sent.

• Like 1

Stinky, how about, price, weight, material? Include hull hangers or gudgeons? Thanks...

Seems they came various cnc materials glassed-foam or Phil-mahogany, and metal.

On 1/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, bloodshot said:

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-hartford-racing-sailboat-dinghy/7258227348.html

racing dinghy...also used with trolling motor for fishing ."Boat has lake Gardner and International 14's design"

00G0G_24hC5H0cDXUz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Fairly confident that's the "Stevenson Design Wing Dinghy" 

Always wondered if anyone ever actually built one. 

Welp there it is. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/12/2020 at 10:29 PM, Gouvernail said:

The first image is obviously not the same boat. It's a picture of one of the P&B boys sailing with his daughter and been robbed off the interweb...

It's still a good picture.

That Expo looks easy to rig and sail, that's for sure! That post is deleted but I noticed "new old stock" one for sale (5 year old but not used) about the same price - at a certain weight everything changes b/c if I can't launch from a beach dolly or similar, that means TIME. Time is the enemy of having fun. 

Facebook Marketplace seems to have many more good boats than CL these days. 

There are some great Dinghy deals around - I am really tempted (left that other one up in MA, now I am in FL). 

What appear to be good condition American made Dinks (The Dink or Dwyer) with sails (no trailers) - in the $400 to $600 range - AND, built in the last 20 years.

Weird market here b/c some people have to get rid of stuff quick (like Gods waiting room and all). It's clear from some of the ads that the owners don't know what the boat is (even tho it has the name on it!).....

I'm still into the idea of rowing/sailing if I buy here b/c I can rent cheap at the SSS for cats or daysailer or kayaks or whatever. I am being choosey because a 10 foot dink would satisfy better if wifey comes out for a picnic. The 8 is fine for rowing and sailing. I'd be really tempted to spend much more on a decent 10 Trinka or Bauer, but they are rare (or way overpriced - like 5K).

I'd say here - boats are listed for either 1/2 what they are worth - OR double to three times. Obviously the later don't sell. 

Example - shown - $400 - (American Sail - the Dink). 

Screen_Shot_2021-01-26_at_7_20.10_PM.png

What about swabs, like moi, who do not need to do or refuse to do social media bullroar like facebook etc or sting along? I guess we stick to traditional sources and places....

• Like 1

I'm the last one to share what tooth I had filled on Facebook....but, think about it, their marketplace is automatically nationwide and you can instantly search any radius - and it's free, etc. 
Someone who knew what they were doing could set up a FB account and turn just about all services off (do on computer, not phone!) - and just use it for marketplace and maybe finding an old friend or family member (and then taking it off FB to email or chat).

I hate what Facebooks has done to unsuspecting people...at the same time, since I was in the biz for so long before it happened, I knew from the start to use it just for a few select things. 

It's easy to sell things also - and the fact that the buyers have a name and history. That's all good stuff, IMHO. 

It still sucks that there are no good national marketplaces where people sell $300 to $3K boats (like dinghies). The listing sites keep the ads from 2012 up, yachtworld has nothing in the smaller ranges, etc. 

The only good thing about the lack of such is that it makes it fun...to try and find a needle in a haystack. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BobBill said:

What about swabs, like moi, who do not need to do or refuse to do social media bullroar like facebook etc or sting along? I guess we stick to traditional sources and places....

You used to be able to get on Facebook without giving them any personal info. I just bought a new computer and Facebook knows, so it's demanding that I update a bunch of stuff and when I enter bullshit, it refuses to accept. Kinda scary. At the same time, Microsoft is demanding that I update (ie pay another fee) to use software that I bought seven or eight years ago, and is demanding a bunch MORE personal data and apparently has cross referenced from some other bullshit personal data (nobody on the internet knows my correct birthday, for example) and is refusing to let me use "their" product(s).

It's all a good example of how far the spy-state has gone. They've fucked themselves IMHO because in my case... and I'm sure many many many others... they are awash in data that is not true and will not help with any actual existing bank or phone or gov't accounts. But I'm also fucked because the only way I can use their product is to create a new completely false identity, and because my memory is not good enough, I have to write it all down. And not lose the paper.

There are some Facebook marketplaces that are open. The Buccaneer class association has one, for example. The one for small less-expensive sailboats seems very spotty. But it is at least somewhat searchable.

I still like Craigslist. Yeah it's old fashioned by now. Oh well, it still works. So does a stone axe!

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

You used to be able to get on Facebook without giving them any personal info. I just bought a new computer and Facebook knows, so it's demanding that I update a bunch of stuff and when I enter bullshit, it refuses to accept. Kinda scary. At the same time, Microsoft is demanding that I update (ie pay another fee) to use software that I bought seven or eight years ago, and is demanding a bunch MORE personal data and apparently has cross referenced from some other bullshit personal data (nobody on the internet knows my correct birthday, for example) and is refusing to let me use "their" product(s).

It's all a good example of how far the spy-state has gone. They've fucked themselves IMHO because in my case... and I'm sure many many many others... they are awash in data that is not true and will not help with any actual existing bank or phone or gov't accounts. But I'm also fucked because the only way I can use their product is to create a new completely false identity, and because my memory is not good enough, I have to write it all down. And not lose the paper.

There are some Facebook marketplaces that are open. The Buccaneer class association has one, for example. The one for small less-expensive sailboats seems very spotty. But it is at least somewhat searchable.

I still like Craigslist. Yeah it's old fashioned by now. Oh well, it still works. So does a stone axe!

FB- Doug

Yes I agree and still think CL is the gold standard, however FB marketplace is where people have migrated sadly.   My wife only uses FB marketplace and sells stuff much faster than I’ve been able to on CL.  This is a shame as FB is a horrible and dangerous company. 

• Like 1

I'm minimising all my Google, Facebook and twitter activity for the last few weeks. It's a lot harder than it seems.

In regards to FB marketplace vs craigslist/sailingtexas/etc.  I have found that OfferUp marketplace has similar features to FB in that you get to see reviews on the sellers/buyers and you can search locally...they are missing the nationwide aspect of FB marketplace, so that's something to consider.

Example: you can see the seller of this Hobie Vanguard has 93 rated transactions out of 43 purchasing and 94 selling transactions on the site with a 5 star rating.  That's an improvement over CL, without the full intrusion of social media.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1055264611/

3dc787a8d84642acb6a1f860dca55bcd.jpg

Dig Chus and Martin, above. I guess I am lucky....never did much save google;s mail...I figure I have better to do, even in MN cold.

15 minutes ago, LTFF said:

For 2 grand? pass.

The trailer looks pretty nice, can't really see what the rigging looks like. What little you can see of the sails doesn't look too bad but they're not mylars in tube bags so therefor >20yrs old.

If you already had a good modern trap harness and wanted a cheap fun toy, this could work. I raced 470s long ago and have a soft spot for them... given the way they're built, vice versa is also true.

Might be worth contacting the guy if it's not too far for you, and he seems open to bargaining. Remember that it's complex boat that will cost a lot if it needs even a slight amount of re-rigging or fixin' up

FB- Doug

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

For 2 grand? pass.

The trailer looks pretty nice, can't really see what the rigging looks like. What little you can see of the sails doesn't look too bad but they're not mylars in tube bags so therefor >20yrs old.

If you already had a good modern trap harness and wanted a cheap fun toy, this could work. I raced 470s long ago and have a soft spot for them... given the way they're built, vice versa is also true.

Might be worth contacting the guy if it's not too far for you, and he seems open to bargaining. Remember that it's complex boat that will cost a lot if it needs even a slight amount of re-rigging or fixin' up

FB- Doug

Yea I just want it as a toy, maybe do some beer can racing in the bay with it 

6 minutes ago, LTFF said:

Yea I just want it as a toy, maybe do some beer can racing in the bay with it 

Well, I'm a fan of the 470

They're zippy and -very- responsive. There are faster boats and more powerful boats, but the 470 is a dancer and doesn't take a lot of brawn to handle... you do need to be able to think ahead and have quick reflexes... and non-creaky knees which is why I would not get one for myself, these days.

My younger self would hate to hear this, because there was  big rivalry between the classes (there is no 470 class anymore) but the 5O5 would be a better option in this price range. The boat is easier to sail at the basic level, a bit faster when you get it booted up, and will teach more about rig & tune that is applicable to other boats. Also they are much better built and a basic hull and rig will be more sound and more worth the work that will inevitably go into keeping it sailing. When you're done with it, somebody will want a 5O5 whereas that may not be true of the 470

I am currently racing a Buccaneer 18 these days and that is also a really good option if you're not determined to have a trapeze. They're simple and bulletproof and plenty fun.

FB- Doug

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

What little you can see of the sails doesn't look too bad but they're not mylars in tube bags so therefor >20yrs old.

nevermind the fact that one of them is a windsurf sail 

1 hour ago, Locus said:

I suppose if it can capsize it's a dinghy right?

One hull. No keel. So must be a dinghy. What is its Portsmouth Yardstick?

39 minutes ago, tillerman said:
2 hours ago, Locus said:

I suppose if it can capsize it's a dinghy right?

That depends.

Are you measuring with the foils attached, detached, or semi-detached?

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

I am going to wait until there is a fleet at our club. 

• Like 2
On 1/30/2021 at 5:51 PM, JimBowie said:

The Ultimate Craigslist find!  Top THIS!

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commentary and opinion over in AC Anarchy about how to sail this boat!!

Thanks for posting!!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.18.35 AM.png

• Like 6

Yes I thought it was humorous end to a terrible journey for the poor sots.  Sorta illustrates the senseless slaughter of good dollars to build a one-time vessel of dubious value beyond the owners egos.  Saw a good posting on changes needed to make the AC reasonably accessible to those only millionaires instead of only billionaires.  Best suggestion was a semi-one design rule where the majority of the boat was identical and mass produced (limited) to save cost and level the field for more participants.  We are now down to a four boat-only regatta.  Next round AC 37 might be a match race.

• Like 1

I'm walking the walk - so for 400, I bought the American Sail The Dink! Full sail kit which fits and works with it. No oars, tho (ordered them). 
Working on it in the yard - got all the lettering off. By the end of the week it should be ready for the Squadron (I will keep it on racks) - 90 lbs.

I'm no Marine Expert, but the Boat appears to me to be in a condition where it will last me for as long as I desire.....I'm going to row it a lot, and then maybe sail home. 

Refinished the wood seats and transom board - the center board and rudder are perfect. 

I am happy........with it. I'll probably have 600 invested when all cleaned up and with oars and some spares. 
Just the sail kit for this (they still sell it) is over 900. 3G for a new American-made FG Dinghy with sails and oars. 

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

Yow will love it....get used to it and when weather warms, take out and simulate a knock-down in shallows (beach) and recover...might also practice launching...I am not certain but  biggest problem might be getting back in once dumped.  She looks the "proper" yacht, to me. Be fun to tool around the harbors in summer.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BobBill said:

Yow will love it....get used to it and when weather warms, take out and simulate a knock-down in shallows (beach) and recover...might also practice launching...I am not certain but  biggest problem might be getting back in once dumped.  She looks the "proper" yacht, to me. Be fun to tool around the harbors in summer.

Will do - luckily here it is ALL shallow within 100+ feet of the shore and, in fact, shallow most everywhere I will be rowing and sailing. This must have a lot of flotation in it - I notice a high freeboard and the CG rating is pretty high (450 I think). 

My former dinghy experience was on the Bay in RI where I fought current and fetch in my 8" WB- got the hang of it quickly. I never did have a sail for that, tho, and I suspect that's the reason one might dump such a dinghy. I will use the old "if gusts are over 12MPH don't use the sails" until I am confident I can recover from a knockdown. 

I have a feeling my learning on the Sakonnet (crazy waters!) will make most other sailing here look easy....back there I'd have other sailors and boaters tell me I was crazy for having my boat out (Precision 18) in that Fetch and wind, but I figured it out by feel.  It was a year before I got smart enough to learn that if things were blowing too hard just head right into the wind. duh (for me). 

Sometimes it's humorous being out there in the RI Bay fighting for dear life and a couple ducks float by, then a kayak or two and then some gal in a sunfish plows on by. The ducks provide a great example.....they just go with the flow!

Ducks might "go with the 'fowl.' " 

Had a Kite for a bit and tipped...sort of on purpose...couple fishing dodgers came over in motorboat to help...damn near drowned me...but eventually, afte they left, got back in by meself, then found the wind had spun me/hull around so could not use sail (twisted)...so I "sailed by mast." Never did take to knock-downs...you will have a ball.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some nice oars (the powder coated aluminum ones on eBay from Fl - heavy duty!) - took the lettering off, polished up the seats and cleaned it. Checked out everything, got the manual and took it out for a row. Great! I love it. It floats really high (lots of freeboard) due to build height and flotation built in. Stored it over at the Squadron- in 10 minutes I can be in the water. 

The worst part of it is the bottom paint - which, as you all know, tends to bleed and stain your hands or whatever else. I sprayed some 303 on it which seems to solve that temp - I don't want to sand the bottom paint off this year. 

If you see The Dink (orange letters will name it LIL MOTT in the Bay in Sarasota, give me a wave! No, not that kind of wave. A hand wave. Plenty of power boats here to give me real waves. 

Next experiment is to add the wifey to the load. If it still floats well and she enjoys I will rig up some kind of small electric motor so we can just go land on a beach or sandbar for fun). 

DJI_20210207_132035_466 2.JPG

DJI_20210207_132125_131 2.JPG

• Like 1
20 hours ago, craigiri said:

I bought some nice oars (the powder coated aluminum ones on eBay from Fl - heavy duty!) - took the lettering off, polished up the seats and cleaned it. Checked out everything, got the manual and took it out for a row. Great! I love it. It floats really high (lots of freeboard) due to build height and flotation built in. Stored it over at the Squadron- in 10 minutes I can be in the water. 

Looks great!    I haven't sailed a "Dink" but I've sailed many a Dyer Dink, we owned a JY9, and now have a Walker Bay 10 with sailing kit.   I sail a lot of high performance boats, but have to admit, these simply little dinghies are a lot of fun too.   No hassle, all fun, and very useful.   Not sure why prices were depressed in your area, I find that any decent sailing dinghy is $1000 and up in New England, I think you seriously scored on that boat and would double your money if you decide its not for you.  Enjoy!

What do you mean by, built in flotation? Anything inside the hull will not make it float higher, unless you swamped it and are full of water. Then it would help.

Must be just the way it's built then - I think it has double hulls in some places- the rear seat, I think it's part of the floatation (that is, it is full of air and sealed). Same with the front part of the boat, Not sure about the other parts - like why a similar dinghy may have 100lb lesser CG rating. In any case, it floats very high and doesn't seem to dig in as deeply when weight is added - may simply be hull design. 

Wouldn't those hollow sealed compartments in the front and read (whether or bot partially fitted with foam) mean it stays higher as weight is added? I haven't thought it through. 

On 2/12/2021 at 6:38 PM, Champlain Sailor said:

Looks great!    I haven't sailed a "Dink" but I've sailed many a Dyer Dink, we owned a JY9, and now have a Walker Bay 10 with sailing kit.   I sail a lot of high performance boats, but have to admit, these simply little dinghies are a lot of fun too.   No hassle, all fun, and very useful.   Not sure why prices were depressed in your area, I find that any decent sailing dinghy is $1000 and up in New England, I think you seriously scored on that boat and would double your money if you decide its not for you.  Enjoy!

Florida seems a good place for bargain hunting SOME boats - because of the "gotta get rid of it quick" associated with moving, estate selling, injuries (people getting older), etc - I just spied a nice Windrider 16 and trailer...asking 1800 but said "must go quick, bring offers" - I'd suspect $1400 would take it.

Not gonna go for it myself, but for piddling around the bay that is low cost fun. I'm going to hold back for this year and just rent at the Club. It is very tempting when all you have to do is push a boat into the water after renting it (they store them a few feet from the high tide line). 

Sooner or later I will get the temptation to go faster or more on edge - seeing all the VX boats out there today (regatta) was cool. 

21 minutes ago, craigiri said:

Florida seems a good place for bargain hunting SOME boats - because of the "gotta get rid of it quick" associated with moving, estate selling, injuries (people getting older), etc - I just spied a nice Windrider 16 and trailer...asking 1800 but said "must go quick, bring offers" - I'd suspect $1400 would take it.

Not gonna go for it myself, but for piddling around the bay that is low cost fun. I'm going to hold back for this year and just rent at the Club. It is very tempting when all you have to do is push a boat into the water after renting it (they store them a few feet from the high tide line). 

Sooner or later I will get the temptation to go faster or more on edge - seeing all the VX boats out there today (regatta) was cool. 

The VX1 is a great boat, lots of fun to sail. Best mix of horsepower and all-round good handling I have experienced, and they are very well built also.

About that Windrider... or anything on Craigslist: unless there is another buyer literally waiting in the driveway, half to 2/3 asking price is the starting range. In the case of estate or moving sales, they want whatever cash is coming fast and move on.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
1 hour ago, craigiri said:

Wouldn't those hollow sealed compartments in the front and read (whether or bot partially fitted with foam) mean it stays higher as weight is added? I haven't thought it through. 

How a boat floats depends on how much water it's hull displaces. You could have no sealed internal compartments or the whole boat could be one big sealed compartment and it won't make any difference. To the water outside the hull the only thing that matters is how much the boat weighs. In fact if you fill the boat with foam flotation it will float a little lower than the empty boat since the foam weighs a little bit. It'd be very hard to sink though.

• Like 1

Not quite a dinghy but tempting if I were looking for such - with good trailer and sails? Such a deal, especially bargaining it down. A perfect day sailer (and I have seen some put oars on it and similar bots). That is one clean looking boat for $1200 (I imagine).  I should just lease some square ft at the SSS and say "whatever I can fit on it".....

Probably a better strategy would be to find 5 similar boats that are well priced and contact them all and say "gonna buy one, inggive me your lowest price". 

The SSS only rents out one Mono - and it's an 18' I think. Plus, they want me to qualify on it- my past 12 years including sailing the Precision 18 on the Sakonnet in 20knots doesn't count, nor does my ASA card. I understand their point(s)- the bay is shallow and we forget our moves pretty quickly. But when you own something you can do what you want when you want (the downside is all the BS keeping it registered, etc.). 

I've never sailed a planing monohull - which someday I assume will change, but I probably won't buy one (unless a very small model). Beautiful to look at the shape of those hulls tho - gotta be a great feeling when they jump on top of the water and skid. 

Screen_Shot_2021-02-14_at_10_22.27_AM.png

Liiks nice. Thougt Enterprise, untill I saw the sails...(saw cuined hull first) I had a little less in mind lter. but price seems clow enough to up my senses...

12 minutes ago, BobBill said:

Liiks nice. Thougt Enterprise, untill I saw the sails...(saw cuined hull first) I had a little less in mind lter. but price seems clow enough to up my senses...

CL14 is a scaled down CL16 which is a Wayfarer clone. Nice little boats. I am not sure if CL is still in business. 
http://www.clboatworks. In com/

Seems Clark was in NW US say Sieattle...made nice dinghies W.ayfarrer, sounds so famliar...must be larger version of Enterprise...lots around, at one tiem.

1 hour ago, BobBill said:

Seems Clark was in NW US say Sieattle...made nice dinghies W.ayfarrer, sounds so famliar...must be larger version of Enterprise...lots around, at one tiem.

Clark had a plant in New Bern, NC also. Didn't build all their boats, but built most of the small ones including the C-Lark. Clark built boats up to a 36 footer.

CL is different from Clark, a Canadian builder. I don't think they built any keelboats, just dinghies.

- DSK

Never could figure out of the Clark in Ontario is or was a change of ownership from Clark here in WA. 

Clark in WA made the C-Lark, Lido 14 and many of the San Juan keelboats. Plus provided Clark foam to Santa Cruz for surfboards and dinghies in the 70s and 80s

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Add some shrouds to an OPTI rig and create a fun little unique cruising toy 

Hmmm, I may be headed to Miami next week and I do have an I14 rig and sails.  Just sayin'...

Regarding the Cl14, I am told they are out of business now.  I have a Cl16, the Wayfarer clone.  Legend has it they were a licensed  builder of wooden Wyfrs, and when the company was sold and the woodies phased out, they requested permission to keep building them using existing patterns.  When no answer was received, they began building glass versions. I pieced this together from several websites describing their somewhat bastardized work product.    I would not think ours would be competitive as racers.  I think they are rugged, overbuilt, and the boat has been a real pleasure to own and sail in NorCal.  Our Dutchman will turn it inside out.  

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/pittsburgh-15-sidewinder-sailboat/7287498369.html

Looks like another one of those pieces of crap has resurfaced:P

KILL IT!

Kill it quickly, before it can spread.... Kill it with FIRE!!!

And slap a piece of plywood over that trailer so somebody can haul leaves or rocks or something useful with it.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

KILL IT!

Kill it quickly, before it can spread.... Kill it with FIRE!!!

And slap a piece of plywood over that trailer so somebody can haul leaves or rocks or something useful with it.

FB- Doug

What was so wrong with these?, looks ok, plz illiterate.

20 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

What was so wrong with these?, looks ok, plz illiterate.

Paging @Gouvernail

(Plenty wrong although to an un-suspecting person the boat "looks" ok)

There's been a lot of discussion about Sidewinders (I think in this thread)

• Like 1