Craigslist Finds

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Coquina012 said:

Does it seem like the FD is wooden?  I am nowhere near the boat so just curious.  I suppose it could use  gelcoat repair on a deck but seems contradictory. 

Per the seller, both the hull and deck are wood.  His use of the word gelcoat may not be correct - not sure of his boat construction knowledge.  

He looked for a builder’s plate but could not find anything.   

That Force 5 is free and the new sail is what you are paying for.  I have always liked the look of those.  I have never sailed one.  Seems like that would be a good boat to put in a truck when you don't have the time or inclination to deal with a trailer...Here in NorCal trailers are 55 mph max, and you must drive in the rightmost lane, which means that every damn exit and entrance will back you up.  So there is a necessity for avoiding trailers when possible, though I presently have and use three.  I sold a glass FD like the one in Boca Raton.  It's a lot of work to put something back together when you didn't take it apart.  If you already have a Dutchman laying around, maybe not too bad...

• Like 2

The Force 5 isn't bad - it's a bit heavier than it should be and it suffers from having a terrible AMF/Sunfish rudder that has more flex than cooked pasta,  but the rest of the boat is alright.  That said,  these are all 30 years old now.

Car (or truck) -topping would be a lot better than 'throw it in the bed' -- as very few truck beds accommodate a 14' hull.

• Like 1

Yes, I raced a Force 5 for a few years. They're good little boats, I liked it more than the Laser. It's got a bit more horsepower, bigger rudder, better sail controls (well, the Laser upgraded all that stuff).

And yeah, they have not improved with age.

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

The Force 5 isn't bad - it's a bit heavier than it should be and it suffers from having a terrible AMF/Sunfish rudder that has more flex than cooked pasta,  but the rest of the boat is alright.  That said,  these are all 30 years old now.

Car (or truck) -topping would be a lot better than 'throw it in the bed' -- as very few truck beds accommodate a 14' hull.

Yeah, it's not bad. A bit stodgy, like the Laser. But definitely worth every penny of $300.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yes, I raced a Force 5 for a few years. They're good little boats, I liked it more than the Laser. It's got a bit more horsepower, bigger rudder, better sail controls (well, the Laser upgraded all that stuff).

And yeah, they have not improved with age.

FB- Doug

+1.

• Like 1
On 4/22/2021 at 9:26 AM, valcour said:

Per the seller, both the hull and deck are wood.  His use of the word gelcoat may not be correct - not sure of his boat construction knowledge.  

He looked for a builder’s plate but could not find anything.   

That boat was clearly modified. It has features of a 70's boat and also that of a 80's boat.    I believe I found it in this issue of Trapeze.  Look for the project in here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gsnLl1kiD4-mjxVPQtjii2JnCvqTSGR7/view   So the answer is a  wood Bob Hoare hull with a KDV (KDE) deck!  A pretty cool boat.  Also, the flat square box in one of the pictures may be more divinycell to complete the aft false bottom.

rcbrds, thanks for that article.  It is your opinion that the boat in the article is the FL boat?  We have a Bob Hoare that is grounded at the moment in the backed up line for repairs and projects with my boats--I am going to glass and carbon fiber in and out.  We live in the Sierra Foothills but I have a place in TN that needs (another) boat for use down in New Bern...I wish I had a week off.  As we all do.  

Since I bought it in this thread - my "craigslist" lady slipper is "driveway rigged" and I figured I'd ask if I am doing it right. The sail was brand new. Seems simple enough. I guess I could add a block down on the centerboard area? 
It seems to me that a porta-seat on the floor of the vessel toward the stern might be a good place to sail it from? That would keep the weight low and the boom out of the way and not jack the bow high up?

I bought it for rowing but will sail a little just to mess with it. If it sails well - then I will sail more!

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

On 4/22/2021 at 9:00 PM, Great Red Shark said:

Someone should write a short book on dinghy designs and the basics of it and how they have improved (or not). When you look at the ads you see so many from 1950, 1960 designs! Was is just that they had naval design down pat and that's pretty much (other than materials) as far as you can go (foiling aside) ?

Are there really many innovations left in these classes other than said materials and slight tweaks? 

If I look at aircraft, which are similar in many ways, they are all just tweaks - and they have unlimited $$ to throw at design and good reason to do so. More innovation in aircraft seems in the engines than in the bodies, although they surely have figured out more and more that overkill is not needed (computers and experience make it a more sure thing). 

It's easy to see why the market for new Dinghies is mostly club involved - when someone can buy a knock-around 40 year old model for 1K. 

As with mostly ALL sailboats, many you find are old. The market for new ones has been poor for decades so there are not a lot of newer "used" boats around. 

1 hour ago, Coquina012 said:

rcbrds, thanks for that article.  It is your opinion that the boat in the article is the FL boat? 

No, I'm almost sure the boat in the article is the boat in New York.  Where else would you find that combination of hull and deck?  

The Boca Raton boat is hard to identify from just the bottom. I think the beautiful sailing photo may be a different boat because on the FD website it says "The other photo is an oldie but goodie from Bob’s earlier adventures in FD sailing."  Classifieds of www.sailfdusa.org

46 minutes ago, craigiri said:

Since I bought it in this thread - my "craigslist" lady slipper is "driveway rigged" and I figured I'd ask if I am doing it right. The sail was brand new. Seems simple enough. I guess I could add a block down on the centerboard area? 
It seems to me that a porta-seat on the floor of the vessel toward the stern might be a good place to sail it from? That would keep the weight low and the boom out of the way and not jack the bow high up?

I bought it for rowing but will sail a little just to mess with it. If it sails well - then I will sail more!

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

Weight placement - try to stay in the middle (for/aft)  No pic of the tiller, so can't see if it's easy to do that. Sail rigging: the bridle across the transom wants a block/ferrule to let the mainsheet slide across easily. Mainsail clew needs a strop thru grommet around boom to keep boom snug to sail. Main tack needs a adjustable cunningham. Mast needs to be tied down to boat.

Just copy a Laser

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, craigiri said:

Since I bought it in this thread - my "craigslist" lady slipper is "driveway rigged" and I figured I'd ask if I am doing it right.

Looks really nice! Maybe add a clew tie-down.

Here's a picture of one on a Laser shamelessly lifted from: http://schrothfiberglass.com/RiggingforLaser.htm

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 10.46.08 AM.png

• Like 3

Another Comet Class - restored 1973, looks like a decent job done! 

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/d/dalton-comet-class-16-ft-one-design/7295517010.html

Not cheap - but I suppose for those who truly know what they are looking at (that is, someone who can verify that all restoration is perfect and not "cover-up"), they could be a nice item. But only "if". 

It might be my New England bias but when I read the description and see the boat and understand the Yankee Mindset (and there are exceptions), this may just be one of the good ones. On the other hand you have Joe Blow just about everywhere fixing up "project boats" and unless you can interview the person doing it and know what you are looking at, it could be a real shit job! 

The nice job on the trailer bunks speaks to me...that he cared about this boat. 

1348848381_ScreenShot2021-04-25at11_27_51AM.png

On 4/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, Great Red Shark said:

As a Force 5 apologist, I have to note that the force 5 has a steel rudder assembly that I like to think adds a bit more than the plastic sunfish version.  However, I absolutely agree that the 130-140lb weight, along with the 14ft length is a bit more than "throw it in the bed".

On 4/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, Grestone said:

As a Force 5 apologist, I have to note that the force 5 has a steel rudder assembly that I like to think adds a bit more than the plastic sunfish version.  However, I absolutely agree that the 130-140lb weight, along with the 14ft length is a bit more than "throw it in the bed".

A good part of my life was selling wood stoves (175-550 lbs) - and even importing them and making them! That was after the carpentry work (walking down a 2x4 20 feet in the air with a 20 foot 2x 10.

But the real learning experience was when I started selling and delivering wood burning and multi-fuel boilers, which weighed 1200 to 2000 lbs (by myself). 

Point is, "it ain't the meat it's the motion" and if you look at that boat like a Egyptian engineer looked at a pyramack id stone you will soon find that handling it can be easier than you think! I'm 67 and have no problem getting 100+ lb boats on my roof racks (when I want to or need to). 

Gotta go back to those elementary school lessons where we learned about wheels, levers and the inclined plane! 

Sometime, if you push me, I'll tell you the story about the boiler I delivered (that ended up being stolen property) that the FBI and City of Baltimore could not remove. I delivered it by myself (they had pictures, of course, being the FBI) and called me up "Craig, how the heck did you get this in there and how can we get it out?". Funny stuff. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, craigiri said:

A good part of my life was selling wood stoves (175-550 lbs) - and even importing them and making them! That was after the carpentry work (walking down a 2x4 20 feet in the air with a 20 foot 2x 10.

But the real learning experience was when I started selling and delivering wood burning and multi-fuel boilers, which weighed 1200 to 2000 lbs (by myself). 

Point is, "it ain't the meat it's the motion" and if you look at that boat like a Egyptian engineer looked at a pyramack id stone you will soon find that handling it can be easier than you think! I'm 67 and have no problem getting 100+ lb boats on my roof racks (when I want to or need to). 

Gotta go back to those elementary school lessons where we learned about wheels, levers and the inclined plane! 

Sometime, if you push me, I'll tell you the story about the boiler I delivered (that ended up being stolen property) that the FBI and City of Baltimore could not remove. I delivered it by myself (they had pictures, of course, being the FBI) and called me up "Craig, how the heck did you get this in there and how can we get it out?". Funny stuff. 

The correct answer: "For $500,000 US dollars, I'll come get it out for you. For 2 mill, I'll teach you how."

Knowledge is power

- DSK

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

The correct answer: "For $500,000 US dollars, I'll come get it out for you. For 2 mill, I'll teach you how."

Knowledge is power

- DSK

You talked me into it - me, a boiler and the FBI......

Summary - when the FBI does a "no habeas corpus" on you with 4 of them, it can scare the crap out of you (at least me).....

https://www.podplay.com/podcasts/hearth-talk-63739/episodes/tarm-boilers-and-the-fbi-5246738

Some of you older sailors might remember a Baltimore City Official in the early 1990's who used public funds to build his custom house. 

3 hours ago, DickTheDog said:

I'm the new owner. Re-educating myself on 505 rigging after a few decades and having a blast!

"DicktheDog".  LMFAO.  Didn't Linda Lovelace do that in the 70s?

On 4/30/2021 at 6:33 AM, craigiri said:

There's no question that it can be done...hell, I have carried both of my force 5s on the roof of vehicles.  I'm suggesting that it isn't ideal.  Solo'ing the car-top of 140lbs spread across 14ft of aging fiberglass requires thinking through the effort smartly and sometimes (for example: if the height of the vehicle, weight of the boat, and the person are a total mismatch) it would require addition of managed levers, wheels and a knowledge of "how", those things you suggested.  All I said was that it isn't as simple as "throw it on the roof," which you seem to agree with.  

Some nice boats showing up here and there. I wish I knew more about Dinghies! Some of you have deep knowledge - should put together a table of the 20 most popular models and the ups and downs. Digging through threads and opinions is always touch.

Here's a CL 16 - isn't that a Wayfayer (weighted CB?) type boat? At $700 it could be a steal even if you needed to replace sails and some rigging. 

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d/winthrop-cl-16-sailboat/7319218974.html

----
Here is a 600 O'Day Widgeon - looks in good shape. 
https://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/d/milford-oday-widgeon-sailboat/7318482955.html

Lots of lasers, sunfish and most everything else showing up. Maybe it's "get rid of that old boat" season?

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 1.42.15 PM.png

And in keeping with upstate NY and the seller not knowing what kind of boat it is they are selling, this one near Syracuse, NY looks like a Flying Dutchman for $750. What do you think @ortegakid?

Built by Challenger Yachts Ltd Pointe Claire, Quebec

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/d/jamesville-20-sailboat-barn-find/7317655910.html

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.20.58 AM.png

Here ya go!!! This boat is a great singlehander for frost biting. The inside stays dry up to 20 mph wind on Erie Bay...  

Personal  experience.

if it weren’t so far away I would buy it, build molds, and make a few new ones. 

note... this one was made at MFG  in Union City, PA  

https://utica.craigslist.org/boa/d/inlet-sailboat-whistler11/7319671077.html

9A9FD3EA-BDD2-456C-8246-6C22DA12DF8D.jpeg

Here is 14 year old me sailing in the summer of 67 for the 1968 catalog 

As a Snipe Snob, I really expected the thing to be a piece of shit but it sailed really well. 

412A6D92-1F38-4611-A648-ECF7A41A2E77.jpeg

That Whistler looks similar to the Hobie 12 (and 14, for that matter). The Hobie 14 is a boat that someone suggested to me (as being a good one - if well kept.

Here's a Raider in FL - 3K, but I suppose there aren't too many of them around and those who want one...may want only that boat.

Looks like a fun boat but nowhere to sit! That's Whisler and the Hobie 14, etc. have seating in them which is sorta civilized. 

It does seem like "boat season" - as there was a shortage of good boats on CL for a while and now many are showing up. Yes, that CL 16 at $650 could be a real bargain for someone! It's 10X the price new (or was...not making them any more...I think?)

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 5.27.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 5.32.37 PM.png

A rare find - another good price. Heck, someone should start a "live museum" where we can go and rent one of 50 boats. I bet we could register as a non-profit and raise free money. 

Labeled wrong - it's a Gloucester 11 - also known as a Blue Crab? Anyone familiar? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Crab_11

1695327147_ScreenShot2021-05-11at7_55_25PM.png

RS100 in Michigan. $5200 or make an offer.  The kicker is the floating dolly/cradle system.  Who cares about the environment...let's plop a bunch of foam into the lake and let it break off little bit by little bit.  What a tool.

Not what a dolly is for

1297278627_ScreenShot2021-05-12at10_09_25AM.png

• Like 1
20 hours ago, craigiri said:

A rare find - another good price. Heck, someone should start a "live museum" where we can go and rent one of 50 boats. I bet we could register as a non-profit and raise free money. 

Labeled wrong - it's a Gloucester 11 - also known as a Blue Crab? Anyone familiar? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Crab_11

I don't know anything beyond what your wiki page has.

I'll have part of this wrong and @Gouvernail will set it straight. Harry Sindle was in charge of production at Gloucester which was a reincarnation of Lockley-Newport boats. They built boats that had been Chryslers and Newports and probably a lot of others. 

Later Harry built a lot of the same boats as owner of Cardinal Yachts.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:08 PM, Gouvernail said:

Here is 14 year old me sailing in the summer of 67 for the 1968 catalog 

As a Snipe Snob, I really expected the thing to be a piece of shit but it sailed really well. 

412A6D92-1F38-4611-A648-ECF7A41A2E77.jpeg

This boat reminds me of the Super Satellite a guy used to race at our club and CRUSH  on handicap any time there was a steady breeze under 5 knots.

We called it the damned red boat.  It was basically a cereal bowl with a bad paint job (dripping, chipped red house paint inside and out) and a long skinny mast.  Boat was about the size of an Albacore but based on the lack of ANY structure inside the thing probably 50 lbs lighter.   Foils were corroded flat plate aluminum with giant pits in them.  The rudder had the shape of a scimitar and I still can't figure out how he was able to steer the dang boat. Hands down, ugliest boat i ever saw sailing

....BUT he managed to sail it and sail it well regardless.  

Never seen another.  

Boat left with him when he moved out of town. 

1 hour ago, Coquina012 said:

This one is back on.  I am dying to buy it.  Love that 70s color scheme.  Mopar powered!    Too many boats and no more space.  https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/inverness-fireball-trapeze-sailboat/7321541135.html

What a deal! $300

Just in case the add is taken down, that great color scheme is preserved here!

@Admiral Hornblowera little far from the Midwest but...

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 10.10.10 AM.png

• Like 2

Entertainment for the weekend. Boaty McBoatFace for your PU.

For your perusal "Boat Boat"

1190758054_ScreenShot2021-05-09at9_50_32PM.png

I thought I posted this already - but just in case. I was tempted myself - but am leaving FL this week - too much of a last minute thing. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 6.42.23 PM.png

1 hour ago, craigiri said:

Entertainment for the weekend. Boaty McBoatFace for your PU.

For your perusal "Boat Boat"

1190758054_ScreenShot2021-05-09at9_50_32PM.png

It looks more like a Planter Planter

Shoulda put some flowers in there

- DSK

On 5/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, Alan Crawford said:

What a deal! $300

Man I wish this boat were closer...I would buy that in a second.  

Unfortunately no cross country road trip in my near future.  

That is an awesome color scheme.  

1 hour ago, jimmydyurko said:

Man I wish this boat were closer...I would buy that in a second.  

Unfortunately no cross country road trip in my near future.  

That is an awesome color scheme.  

If anybody is serious about that Fireball, a good friend is very active at Inverness and I'm sure can help 

Flat Rigged, but what the heck. This deserves being preserved for posterity!

702157359_ScreenShot2021-05-17at12_34_10PM.png

28 minutes ago, craigiri said:

Flat Rigged, but what the heck. This deserves being preserved for posterity!

702157359_ScreenShot2021-05-17at12_34_10PM.png

Fuckin' A!!

That is officially awesome.

FB- Doug

On 5/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, Alan Crawford said:

What a deal! $300

Inverness Yacht Club has a great graveyard of cool dinghies and other boats.  Of course it’s also home to the worlds largest fleet of 110s.  Awesome place. 

53 minutes ago, PeterRoss said:

Oh yeah, those

https://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_5oo1IULIGjFz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I'm amazed there are any still in existence. And no, they were not "efficient" much less "very efficient." The designer had no clue that to develop power in a sail (or a wing), the boat needs to develop righting moment.

These things are difficult to sail at all, and they're slow. Their best point of sail is with all foils stalled, drifting downwind, with the person sitting in the driver's seat either pissed off and yelling for a tow, or taking a nap, but in either case they've quite rightly given up on sailing the damn thing

FB- Doug

On 5/20/2021 at 6:05 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Oh yeah, those

https://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_5oo1IULIGjFz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I'm amazed there are any still in existence. And no, they were not "efficient" much less "very efficient." The designer had no clue that to develop power in a sail (or a wing), the boat needs to develop righting moment.

These things are difficult to sail at all, and they're slow. Their best point of sail is with all foils stalled, drifting downwind, with the person sitting in the driver's seat either pissed off and yelling for a tow, or taking a nap, but in either case they've quite rightly given up on sailing the damn thing

FB- Doug

This boat needs pedals.  Perhaps a swan or dragon head. 

Put a fleet of them in the koi pond at a 1970's amusement park and you have a perfect system.  

This may be the best find out there....

another 'Free' boat!

Looks like a SJ 21.   Probably best use for one I've seen.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/phx/6100073306.html

Free Boat.jpg

TEXT From Ad: Free 18' Sailboat. Grandpa was a sailor, missed the open water and so he hired a crane to drop a sailboat in his swimming pool. Time to get the boat out. Free to anyone who can remove the boat without damaging the block wall or landscaping. Serious inquires only. No trailer, no boom, no sails or rigging. Rudder? Yes. Still free. Thank you.

• Like 1

Ok... Last one, then I'm going to bed....

These were always interesting looking boats to me.  Only ever saw one in person. Never saw it sail.  

"Flying Fish"  

I remember the mast being absurdly large for a little boat.  I didn't realize they had fully battened sails.  I imagine under the right conditions this could have been a lot of fun.  But AMF.  

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/d/east-hartford-amf-alcort-flying-fish/7311794823.html

flyingfish.PNG

8 hours ago, jimmydyurko said:

Ok... Last one, then I'm going to bed....

These were always interesting looking boats to me.  Only ever saw one in person. Never saw it sail.  

"Flying Fish"  

I remember the mast being absurdly large for a little boat.  I didn't realize they had fully battened sails.  I imagine under the right conditions this could have been a lot of fun.  But AMF.  

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/d/east-hartford-amf-alcort-flying-fish/7311794823.html

flyingfish.PNG

I've sailed a Flying Fish a couple times, it's a cool little boat. BITD it seemed kind of like a reboot/update of the Finn but done by people who only could think in terms of board boats.

Agreed, not worth the cost and effort of restoring one... unless for some reason you have a strong sentimental attachment. They sail OK but there are lots of better boats out there.

FB- Doug

Definitely a lot of good boats showing up on FB and Craigslist - if I was a collector! Alas, I'm looking for one or zero (I may end up just buying a new Zest as I promised myself to keep it under 150 lbs!).

The Holder 12 is a cool looking boat - I saw a couple. 

Sunfish galore! From 200 projects to perfectly restored or reconditioned.....too many to link to!

Cute little puffer in Westport - although I've seen some better deals on other boats. 

1978924384_ScreenShot2021-05-25at10_40_37PM.png

186530506_ScreenShot2021-05-25at10_42_30PM.png

I had a Puffer for a while... given some work and new lines & fittings, it was a fine boat for bopping around our creek & river. Of course, to achieve this I had to replace all the blocks, refasten the cleats, add a vang, built a new daggerboard, carefully disassemble the rudder and rebuild it, and install a new access port in the stern seat to acccess the gudgeon fastenings and remove a couple of handfuls of gravel from between the hull & cockpit.

I also went a step further and bought new sails, made up to a new design with a full-length top batten and reef points in the main.

But I had a lot of good little sails in that little boat; won some races against a fleet of Sunfish, sailed with my wife and some beers in our creek, rowed around..... paid quite a bit less than $950 though and mine came on a good galvanized trailer (as the one in this recent ad appears to, also)

The Holder 20 is the only boat they ever made worth a poot IMHO. The 12 has many faults and few virtues, tippy but not much horsepower. The Zuma is a much better design.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

I,ve seen more than one puffer kanguishing around here. Have catalig somewher.

Zuma is pretty decent boat. Sails well. Sturdy too. Steve described somewhere thst same section as laser but not meeting laser spec or something.

59 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Some friends in our trailer-sailer club had one of these. It seemed pretty cool -much- more capacity than a Hobie 16. I'm trying to remember if I ever sailed it with him, I know his wife sailed our boat (a Hunter 19) with my wife at least once. I think I only helped him rig it a few times. Dang, was it really 30 years ago?!?!

They later bought a big (~ 45ish ft) cat and cruised the eastern US coast and Caribbean for a few years.

FB- Doug

Buccaneer on Ebay in Cali.  Part of Boat Angle Ministries so $19.99 (for now) plus $150 "paperwork" fee.  Not a bad deal though.

Blue Buccaneer in Cali

2110118975_ScreenShot2021-05-27at5_51_41PM.png

On 4/16/2021 at 2:15 PM, Steam Flyer said:

I would love to check out that Hadron if it weren't on the other side of the continent

FB- Doug

Whatever you do, don't look at the new composite version he's building in the UK - he has orders for a years worth of them - from individuals, not clubs! Wow, it's hard to look at other boats when you see that and think of the time and energy that went into it. 

I suppose for about 20K including freight you could get one in a year. I asked the designer if he thought there was anything for sale in the US even close - because the boat works well for older sailors and even is designed for easy righting. He said building or having built a wood one  (H1) was probably the closest one might get. 

910433606_ScreenShot2021-05-29at12_11_17PM.png

• Like 1

I need to get a ride. It looks like a truly fine toy. If it is anywhere near as good a sailing machine as it appears, I could be happy creating those in the USA. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, K9u20 said:

Anyone know what this is? I was thinking Flying Dutchman but I’m not too familiar with them

A4EC106B-ACEB-4556-A18E-31CD42A1D5E9.jpeg

EA24B8C4-7673-4AAC-B0F1-98F509552CB1.jpeg

Looks like a Tempest with the keel taken out.

Is there a keel & rudder & mast 'n such that goes with it?

FB- Doug

I'm pretty sure that's a Tempest hull, but what has been done with it over the years, who could guess. The mast looks OK for an internet photo.

Here's an old ad for a Tempest, compare

https://sailingtexas.com/201101/stempest22101.html

the Tempest had an inboard rudder and a bulb keel. It could probably be hacked with a transom rudder and an improved keel but it's a boat with a lot of horsepower. Not the kind of thing to screw around with shade-tree modifications.

I'd bet this one is junk. The trailer is definitely junk. It's too far for me to go check.

I'd actually love to find a decent Tempest, and would consider driving to north Florida for one... about 6 years ago I drove to see one about an hour from us, the mast had been bent at least once (I think twice) and clumsily straightened, on a junk trailer, etc etc. The guy was less than happy when I told him i would not take it out of his yard for free.

FB- Doug

7 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I passed up a free Tempest in 1995. Keel was off and trailer needed fixing. And I hadvon street cityvparking haja.

I have a big, level, back yard. But it's an HOA/POA community so I can't simply collect a pile of junk boats. Whichis fine because my next door neighbors can't, either. Or old cars & refrigerators, etc etc

Ten minute ride out into 'down the county' territory, it's a completely different story. There's untold treasures hidden under those sticker vines and honeysuckle and poison ivy. I'm holding out for a 1934 Duesenburg

FB- Doug

• Like 2

Tempest hull but there should be an opening in the rear deck to drop the rudder through.  Drop keel comes off/on relatively easily, it was designed to raise lower but usually left down.

• Like 1