Craigslist Finds

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vanguard was the boat building side of Harken.  After having all the skin burned off their fingers by 470 International being unwilling to enforce the class rules prior to the 1984 Olympics. A long st

Well, for better of worse, I will be the new owner of that LadySlipper (whitehall type) craigslist find.  Thanks for whoever posted it (or no thanks if it falls apart and sinks!).....no, I think

That one's too good to not immortalize  here with a screen shot of the listing before it's gone! I would only add in the description that besides the YouTube videos, there is plenty of expert commenta

Posted Images

I never thought that these were even built...this may be the only one in America.  The MX Next.  Facebook Marketplace  $4000 in VT  MX Next!!

MX_Next.jpg

12 minutes ago, WCB said:

I never thought that these were even built...this may be the only one in America.  The MX Next.  Facebook Marketplace  $4000 in VT  MX Next!!

MX_Next.jpg

Looks like an attempt at a sailing Batmobile.

No trailer, no thanks.

FB- Doug

On 9/4/2021 at 2:36 AM, Dex Sawash said:

Now find us a Shaw 4.0 and a Hoot 

I really wanted one of those single handed boats out of Canada.  I think that it was called the Voodoo?  All black, looked so sweet.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:25 PM, WCB said:

This is really close to me, and I'm tempted to check it out, but I really don't need another dinghy....   If I did, it does look like a fun and unusual craft.   Must not call the number, must not call the number, must not call the number....

• Like 3
On 9/6/2021 at 5:22 PM, Champlain Sailor said:

This is really close to me, and I'm tempted to check it out, but I really don't need another dinghy....   If I did, it does look like a fun and unusual craft.   Must not call the number, must not call the number, must not call the number....

Vlad pops up again...it's like getting rickrolled...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wajamamaj said:
On 9/6/2021 at 5:22 PM, Champlain Sailor said:

Vlad pops up again...it's like getting rickrolled...

C'mon Champ, resist. You don't wanna wake up and look out into your yard and see -that-, do ya? You'd have to chew yer arm off!

Take the money and give it to a cute waitress and tell your wife you spent it on another boat. You'll do some good in the world and your wife will be very happy with you when you admit the truth.

- DSK

• Like 1
4 hours ago, atoyot said:

We had one of these at our house on an island in Maine.  It hadn't been run in decades.  My twin brother and I worked at it as maybe 12year olds, and definitely not mechanics, and we got it to run and tooled around the cove with it.  Unreal the quality that must have been built into it.

MX_Next.jpg

I saw one in the flesh in Marblehead. 2016? 2017? somewhere around then. I know who actually put the design together, too. Unlike the MXRay, it wasn't Vlad by himself.

Older IC available out in Western MA - https://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/d/lee-international-canoe-sail-boat-17/7360883432.html

Don't know for sure but I think this boat was built by my dad in the 80s and the re-done by Jesse Aronstein in the 90s. Older boat but believe she's been well maintained. Could be a good opportunity for someone to go fast and have fun on the cheap.

• Like 2

505  Project, located in San Luis Obispo - 1/2 way between LA and SF,  need rudder and rebuilt centerboard. Caught my eye, but just finished a Capri 14.2 that needed everything.            don't know anything except the add.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bin/saildata/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&sb=33&so=descend&websearch=1&manufacturer=&model=ufo&length-gt=&length-lt=&year-lt=---&year-gt=---&price-lt=&type=&material=&hull=&state=&view_records=+Show+Matching+Boats+

2 hours ago, twnpipe said:

505  Project, located in San Luis Obispo - 1/2 way between LA and SF,  need rudder and rebuilt centerboard. Caught my eye, but just finished a Capri 14.2 that needed everything.            don't know anything except the add.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bin/saildata/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&sb=33&so=descend&websearch=1&manufacturer=&model=ufo&length-gt=&length-lt=&year-lt=---&year-gt=---&price-lt=&type=&material=&hull=&state=&view_records=+Show+Matching+Boats+

wrong link?

• 2 weeks later...

This was a contender for the 2000 Olympics. I read about this boat before and always wondered what it looked like. Today i stumbled upon this. Looks like it didn't see much action during the last 25 years. What an odd boat.

Does anybody know how it perfomed against the 49er? Are there pictures of it sailing?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/mader-mach2-skiff-jolle-2-mann-2-trapeze-sonst-wie-fd/1851928010-211-10648

$_57.jpg

40 minutes ago, 14berlin said:

This was a contender for the 2000 Olympics. I read about this boat before and always wondered what it looked like. Today i stumbled upon this. Looks like it didn't see much action during the last 25 years. What an odd boat.

Does anybody know how it perfomed against the 49er? Are there pictures of it sailing?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/mader-mach2-skiff-jolle-2-mann-2-trapeze-sonst-wie-fd/1851928010-211-10648

$_57.jpg

Perhaps @JulianBcan shed some light?

48 minutes ago, 14berlin said:

$_57.jpg

That looks like an FD hull with some modern bits thrown on it

• Like 3
4 hours ago, 14berlin said:

Does anybody know how it perfomed against the 49er?

Comprehensively horizoned.

3 hours ago, WCB said:

That looks like an FD hull with some modern bits thrown on it

Which is what it was AIUI.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, See Level said:

Here's a "nice" 19':blink: Sunfish. Think how much more fun he could have had with the sail right side up:lol:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/concrete-19-sunfish-sailboat/7386792943.html

00u0u_lio1CARcnIJz_0mo0t2_600x450.jpg

The window isn't so you can see the telltales on the other side of the sail?

• Like 2
On 9/30/2021 at 12:51 AM, 14berlin said:

$_57.jpg

Had a sail on the prototype at the FD worlds in South Australia back in the early 90s.

I think Mader had sent it over in the Europeans container to try and generate  some interest  .

The FD is already a little on the heavy side and with all the modifications this  was a bit heavier again .

It was fun to have a sail on but  it wasn't spectacular.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Xeon said:

Honestly, there is no way a sunfish can look ‘ nice’ or ‘ fun ‘ :D

So is my upgrade plan from my Snark a bad one?  I'd love to get on a Sunfish again. That's what I learned to sail on in Boy Scouts years ago.

2 hours ago, Waiex191 said:

So is my upgrade plan from my Snark a bad one?  I'd love to get on a Sunfish again. That's what I learned to sail on in Boy Scouts years ago.

Of course not , if you want one GET ONE. They are what they are and they do what they do . Plus they are a huge part of the dinghy market in the USA.

Please  ignore my grumpy comments about them.:D

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Waiex191 said:

Consider a Rocket instead? (see Rocket thread)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Consider a Rocket instead? (see Rocket thread)

Most of my Dinghy sailing is on a very small lake.  What I like about the small boats is I can chuck them in the back of the pickup and get sailing with minimum hassle.

The actual upgrade path I've taken is to buy a Hobie 16.  Been having lots of fun on that.  It's a bit faster than the Snark.

My boat collection has gone into limit mode because I've run out of space to keep them!

MX_Next.jpg

A white'ish / gray one sold in PA last spring.  Considered it for fun but I wasn't sold by the videos of it.  Does it go upwind well?  I remember reading that the MX/Ray did not?  With an 87kg person on the boat its numbers are in Musto Skiff territory but without a trapeze that can't be very useful?

MX/Next SA/D Upwind: 35.7, Downwind: 109.8

MX/Ray SA/D Upwind: 29.8, Downwind: 55.9

On 9/4/2021 at 5:32 AM, Steam Flyer said:

If he does, wanna make a road trip? You need moar bowtzzz too!

FB- Doug

On 9/4/2021 at 5:33 AM, Dex Sawash said:

Would be a Hoot!

On 9/4/2021 at 5:29 AM, Dex Sawash said:

@couchsurfer got any hoots left?

On 9/5/2021 at 9:02 PM, WCB said:

I really wanted one of those single handed boats out of Canada.  I think that it was called the Voodoo?  All black, looked so sweet.

Gawrsh.   A fellow in England bought the whole production this year, container arrived in England a couple of weeks ago.   It's more of a tough market than ever, but if the Hoot makes it anywhere, it'll be in England, where distances are short, and portsmouth rules. I kept one as a souvenir.   ......That's all I'll say until he makes his announcement. 

The Voodoo,, it joined one weekend of races, and that was it.  GONE.   Rob's quite a perfectionist.  I suppose something wasn't right, and he didn't want to go through fixin it.  Never answered any queries.   I would have loved to try it.

• Like 4

That is a Cross 3 . They were built by Ontario Yachts starting in 1982-3.  Very competitive 14s at the time.  This was after double wires but before asymmetricals.   Johnstone used the hull molds for his One Design 14 gambit.  

The Journey the 14s took from Dinghy to Skiff was long and complex. There are lots of mutants.

SHC

• Like 3

A wooden Finn (built in Netherlands by C. Vial) in Punta Gorda, Florida on FB marketplace.

I contacted the seller and she inherited the boat and needs to find a new home ASAP. Wooden mast is broken. No sail. I would really like to take this on but presently no room at the Inn for another wooden boat.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/911921952692725/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined

Image 10-10-21 at 9.53 AM.jpg

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Waiex191 said:

There is one in Chicagoland too, $500. Are they good boats?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/boa/d/streamwood-finn-sailboat/7390746558.html

Neat.

Newports are glass boats but an intact Bruder mast is an uncommon find, altogether you're getting a lot out of that $500. 

• Like 2

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/d/corona-racing-sailboat-and-trailer/7392302438.html

Last week, someone forwarded this Craigslist ad to me and I instantly recognized my old 14 footer from 1997-2000.

Hello Old Friend. We did 2 World Championships w/you and you still look quite well for your age!

Custom Aussie 14 Red Sled

All Carbon/Divinycell with Willets Carbon Rig (the stiffer one). Seems she's been sitting awhile but still in surprisingly good shape. Quite a reunion. We will get her up and running again shortly. In her second life, she'll be a trainer for new skiff sailors. It's a bit more stable, and built more robust than the newer boats making it a great trainer/loaner boat for the LA fleet. She will be available for future training sessions we are planning. All interested sailors invited. PM me for details.

thumbnail_IMG_0662.jpg

00z0z_bLVv0Ycp4fXz_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Irrational 14 said:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/d/corona-racing-sailboat-and-trailer/7392302438.html

Last week, someone forwarded this Craigslist ad to me and I instantly recognized my old 14 footer from 1997-2000.

Hello Old Friend. We did 2 World Championships w/you and you still look quite well for your age!

All Carbon/Divinycell with Willets Carbon Rig (the stiffer one). Seems she's been sitting awhile but still in surprisingly good shape. Quite a reunion. We will get her up and running again shortly. In her second life, she'll be a trainer for new skiff sailors. It's a bit more stable, and built more robust than the newer boats making it a great trainer/loaner boat for the LA fleet. She will be available for future training sessions we are planning. All interested sailors invited. PM me for details.

thumbnail_IMG_0662.jpg

Great to see that it went back into the fleet and not lost to somebody's backyard somewhere

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

thumbnail_IMG_0662.jpg

Is that one of boats from the Bozo boats operations?   This is the Bozo Master's boat.  Photo is first sail in fall 2019 after it's long hibernation, then it went back in the shop for updates, self tacker, foil rudder,  it's oh so close.  Unfortunately the urge to sail after Covid restriction came off resulted in slowed progress, but it is close to it's next sail just a couple more items to tick off of the list.

367061760_i14mid.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, another505er said:

Is that one of boats from the Bozo boats operations?   This is the Bozo Master's boat.  Photo is first sail in fall 2019 after it's long hibernation, then it went back in the shop for updates, self tacker, foil rudder,  it's oh so close.  Unfortunately the urge to sail after Covid restriction came off resulted in slowed progress, but it is close to it's next sail just a couple more items to tick off of the list.

367061760_i14mid.jpg

Great to see more Bozo Boats Alive and Well!!!

Yes- the Red boat was the last of the batch made at the farm.

This was a pivotal moment in the class, when the Aussies first amalgamated with the rest of the I14 class in 96.

Aussie design and build techniques blew away everything else in the class by a fair margin. Their performance dominated the 89 Worlds in SF. Not even close - Aussies Ruled. This is back when many Australian crews were building their own boats, kicking ass, and taking names. Those with existing boats suddenly found their craft obsolete.

Bozo Boatworks evolved from a visit to the States by Australian Sailor Andrew Cuddihy and the rest is history. The West Coast Fleet, in particular the San Francisco Fleet pulled up their socks and got to work. Everyone from very young Silicon Valley startup guys to Recovering Hells Angels were suddenly building their own new 14's with Andrews guidance up at Bozo. The stories are legendary about the weird little farm in Old Palo Alto. Late night builds after work going into the wee hours using homemade autoclaves all while ignoring distractions of wild women and eating bad food.

Look for the full story in the upcoming Planing On "Sessions" to be posted on the US I14 Website and Facebook page coming very soon. It's quite a trip!

th.jpg

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

This was a pivotal moment in the class, when the Aussies first amalgamated with the rest of the I14 class in 96.

Aussie design and build techniques blew away everything else in the class by a fair margin. Their performance dominated the 89 Worlds in SF. Not even close - Aussies Ruled. This is back when many Australian crews were building their own boats, kicking ass, and taking names. Those with existing boats suddenly found their craft obsolete.

Bozo Boatworks evolved from a visit to the States by Australian Sailor Andrew Cuddihy and the rest is history. The West Coast Fleet, in particular the San Francisco Fleet pulled up their socks and got to work. Everyone from very young Silicon Valley startup guys to Recovering Hells Angels were suddenly building their own new 14's with Andrews guidance up at Bozo. The stories are legendary about the weird little farm in Old Palo Alto. Late night builds after work going into the wee hours using homemade autoclaves all while ignoring distractions of wild women and eating bad food.

Look for the full story in the upcoming Planing On "Sessions" to be posted on the US I14 Website and Facebook page coming very soon. It's quite a trip!

th.jpg

Having been recently divorced at the time, the diversions up at Bozo were pretty fucking on point...

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

th.jpg

So we have the first boat and the last boat of 4 or 5 made.

Bozo Boats was well on its way to making boats before Andrew showed up, but definitely gained momentum when he got there.  First, there was the in-house design Bozo 1 that was launched a few years prior that had the (depending on your view) classic, notorious or controversial hull art.   It was later chopped and narrowed a fun project to do on your first built boat.   

Then a friend of the shop imported an Ice boat from Australia and somehow we got the ok to splash a mold off his new toy.  (alright I do know how, lots of wine is how.)   What could go wrong with this plan?   

Then Andrew showed up not long before the worlds in Richmond, and we got to see how the Aussies do a new design one-off hull starting from lines on wood to a laid up hull in a very short period of time.

Bad food? must have been what you brought up the hill.   I remember the wine was always good.

Can't wait to see your story.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

That one looks to be in decent shape. Good luck!

It turns out that it's not in Milwaukee...it's in the twin cities. A bit far for him to get to it. Too bad.

1 hour ago, LakeBoy said:

Too far

Too old

Picky, picky, picky

Not for me...I buy from across the US but not everybody is as brave as me. This guy is high maintenance and I'm done trying to help him.

By the way, odd comment coming from the guy who is "Too far from anywhere". Hypocrite 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
13 hours ago, WCB said:

Not for me...I buy from across the US but not everybody is as brave as me. This guy is high maintenance and I'm done trying to help him.

By the way, odd comment coming from the guy who is "Too far from anywhere". Hypocrite 

Maybe,  however I just bought a boat from 660 miles away sight unseen. 

13 hours ago, KevV said:

Wonder what the top speed of that thing is...that would be something to see

Back in the day, the stern steerers would race passenger trains running up and down the lower Hudson River. I think I read that top speed was around 100 mph. Stern steerers are still actively sailed on the lower Hudson provided there's ice.

9 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Back in the day, the stern steerers would race passenger trains running up and down the lower Hudson River. I think I read that top speed was around 100 mph. Stern steerers are still actively sailed on the lower Hudson provided there's ice.

I will forever kick myself for not gerting over there 5ish years ago. They had an epic time with it after decades of waiting.

A friend from Phila actuallyvsailed on her on the Hudon in the 50s or 60s. Got dragged a bit once and wore through his sweater!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LakeBoy said:

Maybe,  however I just bought a boat from 660 miles away sight unseen. 

Rookie! I bought a J22 from Miami, 2,514 miles away. Well, they paid me $1 to take it. Bought the original trailer for the boat from the previous owner (salvage due to mast breaking and damage to the deck) and bought a used mast from Wisconsin.  J22 gets picked up this weekend and delivered to me in a month.

I do this stuff all of the time because there aren't a lot of good sailboat options here in Utah. 

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It wasn't until the late 1920s that racing cars could keep up with ice boats. They were the fastest thing on the planet.

FB- Doug

1924 Dussenberg indy 500 98mph

R43012.jpg

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

1924 Dussenberg indy 500 98mph

R43012.jpg

Ice boats clocked over 100 on the Hudson back in the 1890s (when conditions were just right, no doubt). They used to hold challenge cups for racing against the express trains.

(edit to add)...Sorry, Alan, I did not see your post until after I posted this reply

FB- Doug

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ice boats clocked over 100 on the Hudson back in the 1890s (when conditions were just right, no doubt). They used to hold challenge cups for racing against the express trains.

(edit to add)...Sorry, Alan, I did not see your post until after I posted this reply

FB- Doug

How many angels on the head of a pin?

Clearly from the late 19th century into the early 20th century ice boats beat everything else. To be clear my post is more tongue in cheek than serious rebuttal.

But I’d say by the mid twenties winning race cars were in contention. I’d say a Duesenberg that averaged 98+ mph over 500 miles could keep up with an ice boat.

But let’s not forget the official iceboat speed record remains the one set on Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin,   back in 1938.   143 miles an hour.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, fastyacht said:

OK I just figured out what I am going to do with myself in my 70s. I am going to beat the iceboat world speed record--whatever it is when I get there.

Here's some background for prep! There was great ice out here last season thanks to cold and not much snow (bad if you're a skier). People were skating on "wild ice" in places that hadn't been skated on in a generation. 

http://www.greenbird.co.uk/ice-record

And a different record attempt also on Canyon Ferry:

https://helenair.com/news/built-for-speed/article_38ba5f79-7b35-569d-b942-8f466a63c068.html

Thread drift over....

6 hours ago, KevV said:

Nice. Hard to see the exact hull shape though, is it hard chine like a big Comet? Classic looking boat on what what looks like a good trailer

FB- Doug