Jump to content

Syd-Hobart Yachts, Where are they Now?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Police Car has hit the water  

Ulladulla on December 28, 2018. Not where we wanted to be at the time. F*&^ing Sunfish!

I remember the 1981 or '82 Big Boat series where Jumpin' Jack Flash pulled off a shy reach to run gybe peel right in front of the StFYC Men's Bar about 150' from shore.  We were about five boat length

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

It’s Shelter Cove, not Sai Kung

Sai Kung the district not the place around the corner. Here is vid of Shelter Cove, past Hebe Haven YC to Marina Cove.

It is reasonably protected except from the SE.....unfortunately that was direction at peak wind speed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Which makes that the old deep green Yendys 99 ex IMS 50 Banco Espiroto Santo.

 

Yendys 98 was the Beneteau 53 that was trashed in the Hobart race. Ring frames popping and delam all over the place IIRC. It had an extended holiday in Hobart after the race, and may have come home on a truck.

 

The Farr 49 Yendys that became Sting (for Terry Mullen’s) then Knee Deep was a 2000 / 2001 vintage when the green boat proved that IMS was not a fast boat rule....

 

That pale blue boat was sold after it won Hobart on handicap as Farr apparently used every last trick to pen a winning boat, and it got smacked by the handicapper shortly thereafter.

 

That was then replaced by the R/P 55 Yendys know known as Wedgetail.

 

Other way around I think Jason, indeed the Beneteau crashed in '98, I recall racing against it that year.  The new-build funky-wheel Farr boat replaced it and won the 99 Hobart.  The IMS shitter was European champion in 02, Geoff bought it in 2003 and the 55 was built in 2006.

Bit of a shame Geoff has left the local scene.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sai Kung the district not the place around the corner. Here is vid of Shelter Cove, past Hebe Haven YC to Marina Cove.

It is reasonably protected except from the SE.....unfortunately that was direction at peak wind speed.

 

I can see my house in Nam Wai in that video.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Other way around I think Jason, indeed the Beneteau crashed in '98, I recall racing against it that year.  The new-build funky-wheel Farr boat replaced it and won the 99 Hobart.  The IMS shitter was European champion in 02, Geoff bought it in 2003 and the 55 was built in 2006.

Bit of a shame Geoff has left the local scene.

Bang on - I stand corrected.

 

Apparently Geoff has hinted at a return to sailing if the rating rules ever setttle down. Which means he’ll continue to enjoy his powerboat for many years to come!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Bang on - I stand corrected.

 

Apparently Geoff has hinted at a return to sailing if the rating rules ever setttle down. Which means he’ll continue to enjoy his powerboat for many years to come!

I'd have thunk the rules had actually settled down.  IRC is very stable, ditto ORCi.  Geoff would be a great addition to the coming TP52 circuit down here... season end in the Northern Hemisphere this week so I'd imagine local aspirants are in discussions about hoovering up this year's model TP52s right about now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

So dunc other than wardrobe they aren't beefed up?

The recent builds are more extremely optimised for inshore racing than earlier boats such as Balance.  For a recent build I'd guess:

  • Extensive waterproofing nose to tail - which can require a lot of the control systems to be re-engineered to eliminate deck openings, plus re-engineered hatches.
  • Cockpit redesign - eliminate below-deck rope tail storage and create above deck storage.
  • Galley, Head and Bunks plus crew gear storage - and related systems re-engineering around the crew accommodation as necessary.
  • Extra halyards and a new headfoil - the regatta boats aren't set up to peel spinnakers or change jibs, this can require significant mast re-engineering plus redesigning the pit area to accommodate extra jammers, rope tails and halyard lock trip lines etc.
  • Extra reaching sails and the gear to exploit them - while the regatta boats do occasional short offshore courses it isn't a focus for them so this area of the inventory is under-developed
  • Engine change (potentially)
  • Beefed up electrical systems
  • Fuel and water capacity changes (?)
  • Structural stiffening in the bow area, and maybe around the keel
  • Potential rig changes to achieve a better IRC-optimal configuration given the target race/s and likely weather patterns.
  • More no doubt...
  • ...but Matt Allen, having done all the necessary to a 2015 vintage boat then decided to build a whole new offshore-optimised hull out of TP52 moulds.  It seems a success so far. 
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

The recent builds are more extremely optimised for inshore racing than earlier boats such as Balance.  For a recent build I'd guess:

  • Extensive waterproofing nose to tail - which can require a lot of the control systems to be re-engineered to eliminate deck openings, plus re-engineered hatches.
  • Cockpit redesign - eliminate below-deck rope tail storage and create above deck storage.
  • Galley, Head and Bunks plus crew gear storage - and related systems re-engineering around the crew accommodation as necessary.
  • Extra halyards and a new headfoil - the regatta boats aren't set up to peel spinnakers or change jibs, this can require significant mast re-engineering plus redesigning the pit area to accommodate extra jammers, rope tails and halyard lock trip lines etc.
  • Extra reaching sails and the gear to exploit them - while the regatta boats do occasional short offshore courses it isn't a focus for them so this area of the inventory is under-developed
  • Engine change (potentially)
  • Beefed up electrical systems
  • Fuel and water capacity changes (?)
  • Structural stiffening in the bow area, and maybe around the keel
  • Potential rig changes to achieve a better IRC-optimal configuration given the target race/s and likely weather patterns.
  • More no doubt...
  • ...but Matt Allen, having done all the necessary to a 2015 vintage boat then decided to build a whole new offshore-optimised hull out of TP52 moulds.  It seems a success so far. 

So with that many changes to the Boat and shipping costs it makes you think that Matt Alan for a few extra $$$$$ has the better deal than buying a second hand boat. 

 

Pulpit 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DickDastardly said:
  • ...but Matt Allen, having done all the necessary to a 2015 vintage boat then decided to build a whole new offshore-optimised hull out of TP52 moulds.  It seems a success so far. 

there's the crux -- he decided it was more sensible to do a offshore build from the get-go than buy a depreciated inshore boat and modify.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pulpit said:

So with that many changes to the Boat and shipping costs it makes you think that Matt Alan for a few extra $$$$$ has the better deal than buying a second hand boat. 

 

Pulpit 

Matt knows the game and isn't short of resources, but his focus was winning S2H so if a prospective owner was more interested in regattas and say Cat 2 and 3 races perhaps the equation is different.  Hooligan is an example of that alternative approach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 9:42 PM, Jason AUS said:

Bang on - I stand corrected.

 

Apparently Geoff has hinted at a return to sailing if the rating rules ever setttle down. Which means he’ll continue to enjoy his powerboat for many years to come!

Maybe if the rating rules settle down I'll enter "66" in the great race..... you and me two up Jas

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Apollo 2 was that POS with the clipper bow?  It was at our club for a while and did alright in one Hobart (84 maybe) but that was a demolition derby that few finished. Fucking ugly as I recall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^LB I think you mean Apollo 3 the 55 footer. I think it was one of the few that finished the 84 demo derby.

Yep definitely Apollo 3 in the 84 race.

We passed them across Storm Bay in a Swan 44 (the S&S one from 1972).  And yes DtM the wider the better that year.  We didn't cross Bass Strait we went round the bugger.  Last tack was 110 miles east of Gabo!  Ended up 5th on both line & IOR.

Something like 40 finishers from 160 starters.  It blew a bit from the south for the first 3 days.  Don't know how hard our wind dial had a stop at 70 knots, because anything more than that would have been scary.  Spent quite a bit of time stuck on the stop though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TUBBY said:

It blew a bit from the south for the first 3 days.  Don't know how hard our wind dial had a stop at 70 knots, because anything more than that would have been scary.  Spent quite a bit of time stuck on the stop though.

Yeah!  In 1970, the AVERAGE wind speed didn't drop below 70 knots for 54 hours.  Fun that was!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Yep definitely Apollo 3 in the 84 race.

We passed them across Storm Bay in a Swan 44 (the S&S one from 1972).  And yes DtM the wider the better that year.  We didn't cross Bass Strait we went round the bugger.  Last tack was 110 miles east of Gabo!  Ended up 5th on both line & IOR.

Something like 40 finishers from 160 starters.  It blew a bit from the south for the first 3 days.  Don't know how hard our wind dial had a stop at 70 knots, because anything more than that would have been scary.  Spent quite a bit of time stuck on the stop though.

Crazy! Was 70+ in the forecast?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

And Pacha won IIRC.  On a mooring in Rushcutters Bay for sale at present.  Could use a little love

It required just about all the filler in the known world to fair her afterwards!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Apollo 1, was the big Bob Millar design. got wrecked. Had monster coffee grinder pedestals with 2 sets of handles on each, never seen it before or since.

 Apollo 2, same design as Ginko. one of them was entered in the Whitbread I think.

 Apollo 3, uglier than Rosie O'Donnell's arsehole. Things that behave that badly are usually shot at dawn. Again strange pedestal set up, the pillars were horizontal in to the base of the drum. Clipper bows are for Clippers, sorry New Zealand Endeavour.

 Apollo 4, don't know.

 Apollo 5. Peterson design. Quick boat, well sailed. My dad sailed against her in the 1981 Southern Cross Cup, said she was witch uphill. 

 Apollo 6. Ben Lexcen. This was after Australia II had won and Bondy was throwing cash around. Ben Lexcen was considered a demi god, and could do no wrong. He was given the job to design a one tonner for the 1985 Australian CMAC team. It stank. While she looked a little like the Castro designed Intrigue, she just didn't go. Would have been slaughtered in the Solent against the European boats.

 I remember that  the entire time of the Americas Cup in Fremantle she sat in a cradle next to the office at the Bond camp collecting bird shit.

 Years later she was sold on to the couple that used to own Golden Eagle, a 70's 1104. I sailed against Apollo IV in a West Coast Series . She threw her mast over the front, after failing to get the new runner home during a dip-pole in 25 knots true. Broke below the first set of spreaders. After that for us, kite down, gybe, re set kite, re hoist. We had had an earlier bingle with Nadia IV (ex Hitchhiker II), that put her out of it as well with a busted up stem. Good afternoon of attrition.

 I can't really think of a Ben Lexcen design that really dominated the IOR scene, there were flashes of brilliance. Rampage overall winner 1974, and Apollo/Gherkin 1985. BenBobs mid 70's Viking 30 did really take off over here, quite a few were built. Good solid little half tonners that you could race on Saturday and take the kids to Rotto on the long weekends. They were used for The Australia Cup, part of the World Match Racing world tour for a few years. You could pick one up for about $30G. They still race em' here.

 Transom hung rudders, gudgeons and pintles on big boats looks weird. I understand that the less hull apertures, the better but the transference but be wicked.

 Anyway Ben for President.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thefirstpelican said:

 Apollo 1, was the big Bob Millar design. got wrecked. Had monster coffee grinder pedestals with 2 sets of handles on each, never seen it before or since.

 Apollo 2, same design as Ginko. one of them was entered in the Whitbread I think.

 Apollo 3, uglier than Rosie O'Donnell's arsehole. Things that behave that badly are usually shot at dawn. Again strange pedestal set up, the pillars were horizontal in to the base of the drum. Clipper bows are for Clippers, sorry New Zealand Endeavour.

 Apollo 4, don't know.

 Apollo 5. Peterson design. Quick boat, well sailed. My dad sailed against her in the 1981 Southern Cross Cup, said she was witch uphill. 

 Apollo 6. Ben Lexcen. This was after Australia II had won and Bondy was throwing cash around. Ben Lexcen was considered a demi god, and could do no wrong. He was given the job to design a one tonner for the 1985 Australian CMAC team. It stank. While she looked a little like the Castro designed Intrigue, she just didn't go. Would have been slaughtered in the Solent against the European boats.

 I remember that  the entire time of the Americas Cup in Fremantle she sat in a cradle next to the office at the Bond camp collecting bird shit.

 Years later she was sold on to the couple that used to own Golden Eagle, a 70's 1104. I sailed against Apollo IV in a West Coast Series . She threw her mast over the front, after failing to get the new runner home during a dip-pole in 25 knots true. Broke below the first set of spreaders. After that for us, kite down, gybe, re set kite, re hoist. We had had an earlier bingle with Nadia IV (ex Hitchhiker II), that put her out of it as well with a busted up stem. Good afternoon of attrition.

 I can't really think of a Ben Lexcen design that really dominated the IOR scene, there were flashes of brilliance. Rampage overall winner 1974, and Apollo/Gherkin 1985. BenBobs mid 70's Viking 30 did really take off over here, quite a few were built. Good solid little half tonners that you could race on Saturday and take the kids to Rotto on the long weekends. They were used for The Australia Cup, part of the World Match Racing world tour for a few years. You could pick one up for about $30G. They still race em' here.

 Transom hung rudders, gudgeons and pintles on big boats looks weird. I understand that the less hull apertures, the better but the transference but be wicked.

 Anyway Ben for President.

Apollo IV was a pintail 40 something.  I believe it sailed for Singapore in the 79 Admirals cup.  Could be an early Peterson design but by 79 he was doing more rounded transoms.

https://rolanddegreefphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Cowes-RORC-Admiralds-Cup/G0000w93s0oqXtY8/I0000FeIMyq.QdFs

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Crazy! Was 70+ in the forecast?

From (now very hazy) memory the forecast was for 40 to 50.  It got a little more exciting than that about 10 hours under storm jib only then another 10 or 12 with stormy & trysail,  trysail was added to get better height to windward rather than because we needed the power.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, hoppy said:

Are you sure she was a ONE-tonner?  40' is pretty big for a 1T - she looks quite similar to Dynamite 2 which I think was 42' and a TWO wonner.  IIRC, the 1104s like Piccolo were One Tonners.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2018 at 11:01 PM, DickDastardly said:

Apollo IV was a pintail 40 something.  I believe it sailed for Singapore in the 79 Admirals cup.  Could be an early Peterson design but by 79 he was doing more rounded transoms.

https://rolanddegreefphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Cowes-RORC-Admiralds-Cup/G0000w93s0oqXtY8/I0000FeIMyq.QdFs

46/47, formerly one of the Williwaws and one of the last pintail Petersons. Stayed in Europe as Nick Nack II and I think is still IRC racing in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Are you sure she was a ONE-tonner?  40' is pretty big for a 1T - she looks quite similar to Dynamite 2 which I think was 42' and a TWO wonner.  IIRC, the 1104s like Piccolo were One Tonners.

Later one tonners were all around 40ft. Nadia was def a 1 tonner. Lou's Ultimate Challenge, a Hobart winner, was a Dubois 40 one tonner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To paraphrase Tony Abbott, at least we can all rely on S A as the 'suppository of all knowledge'

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2018 at 11:42 AM, hoppy said:

Nadia IV is, I think, in Kettering these days, and competed a couple of years ago in BYC's IOR Cup, along with, amongst others, Ultimate Challenge, and Black Magic

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nadia iv was built for Ron Clark in Perth. I think she then I believe went to the Canberra Ocean racing club sailed by Teki Dalton, who was pretty big into the safety side of the Hobart race. I think it even sailed one year with an all girls crew.

She used to have a kick arse paint job. There were quite a few of them around at the time. Evelyn, prime suspect, finesterre , Nadia iv. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thefirstpelican said:

Nadia iv was built for Ron Clark in Perth.

She used to have a kick arse paint job. There were quite a few of them around at the time. Evelyn, prime suspect, finesterre , Nadia iv. 

Don't know if Evelyn like Nadia IV was built by Milliner in Perth. I doubt being one of Jack Cassidy's stable which he normally designed and built, so a bit rare for him and so must have had a high regard for Farrs effort.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Around that time (84 - 85) you could buy a "stock" Farr 40 and pretty much anyone who wanted to win did the bloody things were everywhere and quicker than the 2 tonnes (40 - 44" ish) of only a couple of years before while rating much better (that hurt when they went by!).

The CYCA would have had nearly 10 of them.  Others included Another Concubine, Swuzzlebubble, (3?), Indian Pacific, and lots of others who's names will come back to me at inappropriate times over the next week or so.

Around 86 the next obvious major change was the new ones got open transoms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

The CYCA would have had nearly 10 of them.  Others included Another Concubine, Swuzzlebubble, (3?), Indian Pacific, and lots of others who's names will come back to me at inappropriate times over the next week or so.

Same thing happens to me all the time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two other Farr 40's that I was involved with back in the day were Zap and Witchcraft, both out of RPAYC but I think Zap was something else before. We also had Seaquesta (designer???) and we'll count Sir Robbo's Queensland Maid, as he was here a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Two other Farr 40's that I was involved with back in the day were Zap and Witchcraft, both out of RPAYC but I think Zap was something else before. We also had Seaquesta (designer???) and we'll count Sir Robbo's Queensland Maid, as he was here a lot.

Whole tribe of IOR boats at RPAYC back in the day . Middle Harbour Express  ( Original Gold Coast Express with centre board - Davidson ) Hot August Night - Lexen ?  Anduril, Granny Knot,  Dubois 36 sister ships,  few Farr 40's.  Leroy Brown - Davidson 34, Kings Cross - Davidson 36, Ex Tension - Davidson 36

Seaquesta was a Dubois.  Alloy hull, real truck.

 

Few half tonners - Beach Inspector, Public Nuisance - Dubois

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Occsail said:

Whole tribe of IOR boats at RPAYC back in the day . Middle Harbour Express  ( Original Gold Coast Express with centre board - Davidson ) Hot August Night - Lexen ?  Anduril, Granny Knot,  Dubois 36 sister ships,  few Farr 40's.  Leroy Brown - Davidson 34, Kings Cross - Davidson 36, Ex Tension - Davidson 36

Seaquesta was a Dubois.  Alloy hull, real truck.

 

Few half tonners - Beach Inspector, Public Nuisance - Dubois

I think Seaquesta was renamed "Lipstick on my Collar" or somesuch and is now in NZ

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Two other Farr 40's that I was involved with back in the day were Zap and Witchcraft, both out of RPAYC but I think Zap was something else before. We also had Seaquesta (designer???) and we'll count Sir Robbo's Queensland Maid, as he was here a lot.

Peter Nicholson from RPAYC sold Seaquesta and bought Queensland Maid from Robbo, which is why she was there a lot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, thefirstpelican said:

I don’t know who built Evelyn. She sunk in an Albany race.

Jack Cassidy built Evelyn.  Don't know about sinking in an Albury race, but I sailed a few thousand miles on her as "Australian Maid" (and she sailed a Hobart as "Darwin Evolution" - a sponsorship deal).  The pedestal on the Maid still had "Evelyn" in raised relief on the top cap.  Jon Wardill sailed her around the world, doing Fastnet, Caribbean circuit and everything worth sailing in - and she won her class as well.  Still floating up in SE Asia to the best of my knowledge.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Two other Farr 40's that I was involved with back in the day were Zap and Witchcraft, both out of RPAYC but I think Zap was something else before. We also had Seaquesta (designer???) and we'll count Sir Robbo's Queensland Maid, as he was here a lot.

Seaquesta is a Dubois 42 - built by Jim Sly for Alf Neate ....and sailed by a lot of us as young 'uns in every event on the calendar back in the day! We even sailed her to and from the Clipper Cup in '82....almost too much fun!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Couta said:

Seaquesta is a Dubois 42 - built by Jim Sly for Alf Neate ....and sailed by a lot of us as young 'uns in every event on the calendar back in the day! We even sailed her to and from the Clipper Cup in '82....almost too much fun!

What was there between Seaquesta and Morning Mist?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

What was there between Seaquesta and Morning Mist?

time, and money. Then came MM2.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

Anyone know what happened to Bill Psaltis' "MELTEMI"?  S&S design I think, kind of mustard coloured topsides...

Wasn't she the one that had that ghastly upholstery down below?  Not so much cushions, but the hull sides were coated in some polyester hair that was electrostatically sprayed on!  Distinctively "Mediterranean".  Yecch!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charisma94 said:

Anyone know what happened to Bill Psaltis' "MELTEMI"?  S&S design I think, kind of mustard coloured topsides...

She was on a mooring in Ulladulla in late December 2018. I took a photo, will put it up later. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

1830798553_SS47Meltemi(1).thumb.jpg.2d324c97301d6d1f02b6eb2207edb3b8.jpg317513793_SS47Meltemi(2).thumb.jpg.7eb8844593e1cde4b85d486e05d2e75f.jpg

Ulladulla on December 28, 2018. Not where we wanted to be at the time. F*&^ing Sunfish!

Thanks for the pictures of Meltimi. As I work on Pathfinder it's good to see how others have handled issues on a similar vessel. Helps me to feel I can have a dodger without screwing up the looks of the boat. Any more info? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...