Ultime / G-Class Development

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/ultim/gitana-quitte-la-classe-ultim-pour-conserver-sa-liberte-les-explications-du-patron-du-team-ead5661e-3d23-11ea-8ffc-11604c1fdc1f Longer interv

I got a good look at Spindrift while at the Newport Boat Show. It was over at the shipyard out on the very end but you could see its new Turbo mast from about anywhere along the waterfront. Chord on t

Nice video about Thomas Coville´s boat:    

Posted Images

7 hours ago, yl75 said:

Gabart interview, he clearly looks quite stressed out, he doesn't say anything new :

(except maybe that his company, Merconcept, is the one assembling the new boat from Multiplast and CDK parts, and that some "restructuring" will be necessary)

Related article :

https://www.voileetmoteur.com/voiliers/actualite-voile/regates-courses/video-francois-gabart-une-epreuve-bien-plus-difficile-que-le-large

Must be a very stressful situation looking for a sponsor to commit 30-40m Eur over the next few years plus he just expanded his company, people's livelihoods at stake... I hope me makes it work somehow. Would also not be pleasant to see someone else driving his new boat, or worse it left sitting on the docks. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jb5 said:

Must be a very stressful situation looking for a sponsor to commit 30-40m Eur over the next few years plus he just expanded his company, people's livelihoods at stake... I hope me makes it work somehow. Would also not be pleasant to see someone else driving his new boat, or worse it left sitting on the docks. 

Well, JB. We know he keeps his cards close to his chest, but more importantly, Gabart is one tough cookie. (Maybe even a Gingernut - pun intended!) ;-)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Well, JB. We know he keeps his cards close to his chest, but more importantly, Gabart is one tough cookie. (Maybe even a Gingernut - pun intended!) ;-)

That sent the old brain working, Griffins at the 4 Square on the corner.  :D

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I think to be kind to Gabart, SBD - you may want to refer to him as "Strawberry Blonde" - so maybe Strawberry Shortcake?

• Like 1

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft/n218sbastien-josse-si-jai-un-beau-projet-je-serai-comptitif-comment-la-transat-jacques-vabre-se-rorganise?e=9a497c6fa7

This could go into the IMOCA thread just as well as here.  Sébastien Josse interview.  Good interview.  He's aiming to be onbaord one of the Ultim for the RTW race next year (assuming it happens) and is also looking to get back with his own project and maybe the next VG as well.

A few quotes.

On his Gitana exit.  "When you join such a team, you know that you are there for an indefinite period . I was fortunate to be the one who stayed the longest - eight years - it is that somewhere it was going well and my work was appreciated, I don't think that the sailing skills and the team agreement have been called into question. Afterwards, there is another reality on which I do not want to express myself , it is useless, it is the work of lawyers"

On Brest Atlantiques.  "navigating flying boats offshore over several weeks remains a problem that is not yet fully managed, and on Brest Atlantiques, the boats have finally flown very little . It shows that it is going to take a few more seasons to get to launch someone alone around the world on these machines."

Jules Verne. "In less than 40 days, it is certain, even if, we know that the boats will sail at one time with their appendages in degraded mode, because of the OFNI (UFO)and others: we have seen on Brest Atlantiques that a plane carrying (central foil), for example, does not last very long"

Ultim " it takes 15 million euros and two years of construction for a boat, with a program that is not set in stone , parameters that make it not as simple as in Imoca where you have the Vendée Globe which attracts a lot of people"

Involvement with Corum (IMOCA). The gap with the foilers of the previous generation is really large, it is identical to that which existed between the Imoca fins (straight boards) and the first foilers. They are at least 3 knots apart and these monohulls are increasingly resembling multihulls at certain gaits . I think they should explode the record for the distance covered in 24 hours,....if there is a depression in the Indian Ocean that is coming up, they can hold an average of 28-30 knots, something that the boats before will not be able to do...it is obvious that life on board changes radically, it gets worse and worse, exponential with speed; at reaching 30 knots, you don't get up to go make your coffee! I think the limit for skippers will be more mental than physical in my opinion. I don't know, for example, if the sailors will be able to attack enough in the Great South to make the boats fly.

• Like 4

http://www.courseaularge.com/trophee-jules-verne-sodebo-ultim-3-pleine-preparation-philippe-presti-a-bord.html

Sodebo-696x391.jpg

Sodebo JV preparations.  In one month, the trimaran covered a total of about 2,000 miles (3,700 km).

They have a large number of crew lined up for the JV attempt. 10 in total.  A lot of weight.  Way more than IDEC Sport had for the current record (6) and more than Gitana are planning as well.  More like what Spindrift do but you would think the reasoning behind that on Spindrift is a little different than it would be on a boat like Sodebo, which is designed for shorthanded sailing.

The Sodebo Ultim 3 crew on the Jules Verne Trophy: Thomas Coville, Jean-Luc Nélias, Sam Goodchild, Thomas Rouxel, François Morvan, Matthieu Vandame, François Duguet, Martin Keruzoré, Thierry Briend, Corentin Horeau

Some quotes.

"The boat really takes off and above all, we manage to stabilize it in flight without it being difficult, it is not as violent in the sea as it was in its previous version. We feel that the less there is contact with water, the more fluid it is, the more we reach incredible speeds that were previously inaccessible to us, often above 40 knots, with peaks at 45 knots. We are completely in another world, what an incredible time! "

“We are testing a lot of things: the sails, the settings, the winches, the whole mechanics of the boat, and at the same time, we are trying to find sensations on the new planes carrying drift and central rudder. The days are tiring, the manual will be difficult to find, but the prospects are interesting. We are a bit in the shoes of test pilots, we are exploring, and at the same time, we must constantly remain vigilant, because the navigations are very busy. "

There, there is the possibility of going under 40 days and therefore breaking down a completely mythical bar, we have a date with history. "

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, jb5 said:

They have a large number of crew lined up for the JV attempt. 10 in total.  A lot of weight.  Way more than IDEC Sport had for the current record (6) and more than Gitana are planning as well.  More like what Spindrift do but you would think the reasoning behind that on Spindrift is a little different than it would be on a boat like Sodebo, which is designed for shorthanded sailing.

The Sodebo Ultim 3 crew on the Jules Verne Trophy: Thomas Coville, Jean-Luc Nélias, Sam Goodchild, Thomas Rouxel, François Morvan, Matthieu Vandame, François Duguet, Martin Keruzoré, Thierry Briend, Corentin Horeau

In fact the article says that the JV crew will be chosen amongst those 9 (not counting Coville), but not that they will all be part of the crew, nor saying how many they will be for the JV.

(a bit of a strange declaration at this point in time to give a list of "pre selected", wonder if this is a real declaration from Sodebo/Coville, or just a "course au large" assumption).

• Like 2
5 hours ago, yl75 said:

In fact the article says that the JV crew will be chosen amongst those 9 (not counting Coville), but not that they will all be part of the crew, nor saying how many they will be for the JV.

(a bit of a strange declaration at this point in time to give a list of "pre selected", wonder if this is a real declaration from Sodebo/Coville, or just a "course au large" assumption).

Thanks for clarifying.  It read a bit odd to me. Why Sodebo would name potential crew is strange.  You could be right about it being an assumption.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jb5 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  It read a bit odd to me. Why Sodebo would name potential crew is strange.  You could be right about it being an assumption.

By the way jb5 do you speak/read a bit French or you just rely on gg translate ? In any case, thanks a lot for roaming the social media and news on sailing and bringing all these videos /pics and articles up !   That makes this forum really quite info packed. :)

• Like 4
2 hours ago, yl75 said:

By the way jb5 do you speak/read a bit French or you just rely on gg translate ? In any case, thanks a lot for roaming the social media and news on sailing and bringing all these videos /pics and articles up !   That makes this forum really quite info packed. :)

I concur, thanks jb5 for the translations!

I suspect it is a google translate... A tell-tale is the word "drift" popping up where it does not make much sense. In that case, replace it with "daggerboard" and it usually makes much more sense. Drift and daggerboard are the same word in French: dérive. But Google translate invariably translates it to "drift", where very often, it should be "daggerboard".

• Like 3
2 hours ago, yl75 said:

Read some, been in France a lot, but I definitely have trouble with some parts as I'm sure you can tell. Depends how much time I have. Today, not much, so shortcuts rule the day. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

Looks very stable in sustained flight.

In short from the video:
- It was a big refit to improve ergonomic, add a foil on the center hull, improve performance, strengthen the boat (everything learned during the Brest Atlantique)
- Describe how sustained flight is achieved thanks to center hull foil + controls on the rudder foil for pitch
- First month was mainly to adjust the boat to enable the performance as everything in the chain need to be aligned to enable full performance both solo and crew
- The boat is flying easily, very easily and it's a good thing
- Boat speed could reach much more than 40 kn in "such sea state" (that was interesting the way Thomas said it, as he started "more than", then interrupt himself to finish "much more than 40 kn", felt like he didn't want to disclose a specific number, 50 maybe? Maybe only my interpretation but that was an interesting moment of the video)
- They aim to participate in July (Time cup) against other Ultime, evaluate the boat, and finish the preparation before a JV

1 hour ago, Lakrass said:

- Boat speed could reach much more than 40 kn in "such sea state" (that was interesting the way Thomas said it, as he started "more than", then interrupt himself to finish "much more than 40 kn", felt like he didn't want to disclose a specific number, 50 maybe? Maybe only my interpretation but that was an interesting moment of the video)

And THIS is the most interesting bit about this whole thing.

It's not the outright top speed that foiling can help produce. Sure, while we are all amazed at these speeds, don't forget other sailors have been here for decades (thinking Windsurfing).

It's the average speeds attained that are possible from being out of the wave interference that is so magical!

Plus then you don't spill your coffee... Until you come crashing down of course.

3 hours ago, Lakrass said:

Looks very stable in sustained flight.

In short from the video:
- It was a big refit to improve ergonomic, add a foil on the center hull, improve performance, strengthen the boat (everything learned during the Brest Atlantique)
- Describe how sustained flight is achieved thanks to center hull foil + controls on the rudder foil for pitch
- First month was mainly to adjust the boat to enable the performance as everything in the chain need to be aligned to enable full performance both solo and crew
- The boat is flying easily, very easily and it's a good thing
- They aim to participate in July (Time cup) against other Ultime, evaluate the boat, and finish the preparation before a JV

Good summary.

Just one small correction, the race in July is the Drheam Cup, even if strangely enough, I do not see the Class Ultim Category in the list if the official web site... but the site seems only half cooked with a lot of filler text "lorem ipsum..."

• Like 1

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/le-cleac-h-pour-l-ultime-on-a-fait-ceinture-et-bretelles-30-06-2020-12574383.php

Interview with Armel concerning the new BP Ultim

A few quotes.

It will be a little heavier than the first one. We did “belt and suspenders” on the trimaran structure, we also worked a lot on the foils which are the engine of the boat. The new foils have nothing to do with those of the first Ultim. We got a bit into the spirit of what we had in Imoca between 2016 and 2020 with larger, more efficient, more stable foils. There is an important evolution there but that implies gaining weight because the foils are heavier, the structure around the foil is also heavier. Then, we played a lot with the aero but this is nothing new, Gitana did it before us.

These are machines that put a heavy load on people. We have a program which will lead up to a crescendo for the solitaire (around the world). We will start with crewed races to make the boat more reliable and then there will be the Route du Rhum 2022 which, for me, is a very important meeting. Afterwards this world tour in 2023 (solo)… Yes, it's a great challenge. Very few sailors have managed to sail around the world on Ultimes and I would like to be one of them. There is work but we do not start from nothing.

There are two Ultimes on the market (Macif). This gives other sponsors the opportunity to come and join us. Economically, it's interesting to have Macif # 1 at 5 million euros and the second which, I think, will be negotiable for François or another skipper. In my opinion, the next winner of the Vendée Globe could possibly be interested. After our victories on the Vendée Globe, François Gabart and I went well in the Ultimate…

• Like 3

Reading Armel - and thinking of the golden Francois’s current predicament, I’m wondering if there’s any regrets re not continuing in imoca dev. Imagine the things they could contribute to the class. 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:35 PM, Laurent said:

Good summary.

Just one small correction, the race in July is the Drheam Cup, even if strangely enough, I do not see the Class Ultim Category in the list if the official web site... but the site seems only half cooked with a lot of filler text "lorem ipsum..."

Drheam Cup... 

https://www.scanvoile.com/2020/06/drheamcup-gitana-sodebo-banque-populaire-plateau-2020.html?m=1#.Xvu1-LkpC7p

... More than 80 expected.

Three Ultim trimarans, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild (Franck Cammas / Charles Caudrelier), Sodebo Ultim 3 (Thomas Coville) and Actual Leader (Yves Le Blevec), will line up on the longest course, the DRHEAM-CUP 1100 (1100 miles). 

For the DRHEAM-CUP 700 (736 miles), several Multi50s are expected and between 10 and 15 Class40. 

The largest fleet will be for the DRHEAM-CUP 400 (428 miles), with between 35 and 40 IRCs, doublehand and with crew, and around 25 Figaro Bénéteau 3... 

gitana-11508a521e714ca1bb88ef98a6b00033.jpg

20 minutes ago, jb5 said:

The largest fleet will be for the DRHEAM-CUP 400 (428 miles), with between 35 and 40 IRCs, doublehand and with crew, and around 25 Figaro Bénéteau 3... 

And THIS is how these Ultime's wish they were... Too bad you can't have a fleet of 30 Ultime's with their astronomical cost.

No wonder sponsors are leaving...

Someone needs to find a way to make the <40ft offshore multi's work, or whatever big money fleet comes will be relegated once again to only a handful of boats.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/ultim/trimarans-geants-ultim-prives-de-courses-par-la-crise-que-vont-faire-les-geants-des-mers-0f44b126-b79a-11ea-9bf5-830e2d169ea5

Ultim and non-Ultim members plans for the year summary on the link. Very little that is not covered already above.

Summary 

After the Drheam Cup with Actual, Sodebo and Gitana are doing the JV although Sodebo is starting standby mid October while Gitana is at the start of November. So they might not leave together which would be a shame if it happens. Both are talking about the sub 40 day mark target. Gitana clearly wants to have a dual happen like happened between IDEC and Spindrift when neither ended up getting the record. 

No further 2020 plans for IDEC Sport. They are watching race developments in the Ultim space and doing a refit after the Asian trip. 

Actual is planning some record activities in the Med and the Middle Sea race. 

Use It Again is focused on pushing the circular economy message. 

The new BP is due out of the shed in the spring and of course two Macif Ultim are basically for sale. 

4 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

And THIS is how these Ultime's wish they were... Too bad you can't have a fleet of 30 Ultime's with their astronomical cost.

No wonder sponsors are leaving...

Someone needs to find a way to make the <40ft offshore multi's work, or whatever big money fleet comes will be relegated once again to only a handful of boats.

I believe Sponsors would be leaving due to the economic down turn we're heading into, due to the virus.

There no quick fix to this economy, It could be 18 to 36 months before things are better.  

Businesses like to look out to the potential future, unfortunately its not looking good.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that JB5!

Interesting comment at the end of the second video: they are missing their latest generation starboard foil, you can see at the end of the video it is different from the port foil. It is "stuck" in Italy apparently, because of COVID19 and they will not have it for the Drheam cup... They are leaving for the Drheam Cup in 3 days; it is a crewed race....

Regarding the foil, I do not know if he means that the foil is not finished because of COVID or that it cannot be shipped/imported fast enough for the next race. I suspect it is a manufacturing-ready issue.

3 hours ago, Laurent said:

Thanks for that JB5!

Interesting comment at the end of the second video: they are missing their latest generation starboard foil, you can see at the end of the video it is different from the port foil. It is "stuck" in Italy apparently, because of COVID19 and they will not have it for the Drheam cup... They are leaving for the Drheam Cup in 3 days; it is a crewed race....

Regarding the foil, I do not know if he means that the foil is not finished because of COVID or that it cannot be shipped/imported fast enough for the next race. I suspect it is a manufacturing-ready issue.

He said the foil is stuck at Persico, and Persico is also the yard responsible to manufacture the one design foil arms for the America's cup boats (and a lot of them needed for the V2 boats), so indeed they must be quite buzy (also based in Lombardia, the most severily hit covid region in Italy). In fact I read in the last "course au large" mag that they are thinking about relocating the manufacture of these foil arms to NZ.

• Like 1

Drheam Cup this weekend. 

May be some tracking on the link below. There English version of the site does not seem to be the working well. 

Ultimes are all going except Macif. Lots of C40 and Figaro 3 as well. Should be a lot of fun to follow. 

https://drheam-cup.com/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCvBlkqA8mj/?igshid=1a8bp72hdmara

• Like 1
7 hours ago, yl75 said:

Rough translation of the audio interview.

He has created a company a while back for an Ultim program. He owns the former MOD70 Oman, but it is broken, somewhere in a shed...

He has 3 unique aspects he wants to push with this project:

- first the financing of the project; instead of relying entirely on "traditional" sponsors, he wants to involve as well bank and other financial partners...

- second, the usage of the boat will be the planned Ultim races and records schedule, but also some "time-sharing" opportunity for paying customers

- third, involve scientist and engineers for technology innovation related to "marine flight" (foiling), Artificial Intelligence for controls, but also applied research in health towards the development of an exo-skeleton...

Since his boat Oman is damaged, he is looking at buying the first Ultim MACIF... He says that there has been 5 teams that contacted François Gabart to buy his boat, and that at this time, there are 2 teams still in the race, including himself. He has made an offer.

He says at the end that he wants the boat to have a base both in Brittany and in the Mediterranean Sea, since he is originally from the South of France, and it would be interesting to have an Ultim in the South of France...

My VERY personal take on it... Marc Thiercelin is a very experienced guy (700,000 miles...) and he has finished on the podium several times, but he has NEVER won anything of importance... He is 60 years old. His projects always have had a far-fetch-dreamer flavor to me...

I don't think he is the right guy for this. A Pascal Bidégorry, or even a Sidney Gavignet or a Yann Eliès would be a much better choice to produce the full potential of the boat.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Laurent said:

Rough translation of the audio interview.

He has created a company a while back for an Ultim program. He owns the former MOD70 Oman, but it is broken, somewhere in a shed...

He has 3 unique aspects he wants to push with this project:

- first the financing of the project; instead of relying entirely on "traditional" sponsors, he wants to involve as well bank and other financial partners...

- second, the usage of the boat will be the planned Ultim races and records schedule, but also some "time-sharing" opportunity for paying customers

- third, involve scientist and engineers for technology innovation related to "marine flight" (foiling), Artificial Intelligence for controls, but also applied research in health towards the development of an exo-skeleton...

Since his boat Oman is damaged, he is looking at buying the first Ultim MACIF... He says that there has been 5 teams that contacted François Gabart to buy his boat, and that at this time, there are 2 teams still in the race, including himself. He has made an offer.

He says at the end that he wants the boat to have a base both in Brittany and in the Mediterranean Sea, since he is originally from the South of France, and it would be interesting to have an Ultim in the South of France...

My VERY personal take on it... Marc Thiercelin is a very experienced guy (700,000 miles...) and he has finished on the podium several times, but he has NEVER won anything of importance... He is 60 years old. His projects always have had a far-fetch-dreamer flavor to me...

I don't think he is the right guy for this. A Pascal Bidégorry, or even a Sidney Gavignet or a Yann Eliès would be a much better choice to produce the full potential of the boat.

I think this is a case of whoever's got the most money, plain and simple. If golden boy is struggling to find a new sponsor then you know shit's bad, then again I'm confident he'll find one eventually. 

If think Gabart can probably get sponsored if he wants to get back to imoca or class 40. 

The problem is these boats spend less time making a record around the world than they do in the shed during any quarter calendar. 

how many events a year? And at what cost. 

• Like 1

It is, as much as anything else, the cost of keeping these machines in perfect working order all the time.  Never mind doing upgrades and heaven help you if you have an accident or serious breakage.

12 minutes ago, DtM said:

It is, as much as anything else, the cost of keeping these machines in perfect working order all the time.  Never mind doing upgrades and heaven help you if you have an accident or serious breakage.

And it is an arms race with virtually no constraints - if you build a new one the other guy has to build a new one. Then okay the fastest boat wins everything unless it breaks which 1/3 chance at every event. 

And the race is so fast it doesn’t dominate any headlines. 

Off topic, but Albeau has just beaten the nm windsurfing speed record at 43,04 (on a device 3 order of magnitude less costly ) :

(not the actual run, the day before it)

Still way below his 500m record though

On 7/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, Raptorsailor said:

I think this is a case of whoever's got the most money, plain and simple. If golden boy is struggling to find a new sponsor then you know shit's bad, then again I'm confident he'll find one eventually. 

For sure.

I just hope thay it will be someone with IMHO more potential for success who will get the dough first...

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JonRowe said:

woot, hope golden boy finds a new sponsor now...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Article about Gabart "M101" Tri :

MjAyMDEwYjNiMzg5MmNhN2UzM2VlNzk5NWY0MWY1

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/skipper/francois-gabart/reportage-francois-gabart-presente-son-nouveau-trimaran-geant-concu-pour-voler-a-45-noeuds-776d855c-0f2e-11eb-a094-4f55046af2d6

Almost no cockpit roof for aerodynamic reasons, should be on the water in June (and still looking for a sponsor)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 1:53 PM, yl75 said:

Article about Gabart "M101" Tri :

MjAyMDEwYjNiMzg5MmNhN2UzM2VlNzk5NWY0MWY1

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/skipper/francois-gabart/reportage-francois-gabart-presente-son-nouveau-trimaran-geant-concu-pour-voler-a-45-noeuds-776d855c-0f2e-11eb-a094-4f55046af2d6

Almost no cockpit roof for aerodynamic reasons, should be on the water in June (and still looking for a sponsor)

Cool!, Does anyone has any more news about Gabart's new machine and sponsorship? (quite unbelievable no one yet given his golden aura)

2 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Renderings for BPXI... main hull looks a little out of place without a wave-piercing bow.

128522553_3016983375069885_7902592286693844004_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=G4Ux3Q5YiVgAX-zKOCF&_nc_oc=AQn5qBEwLwZDIqgkmPUNldOJVDKu5wra6RlgAljj5gU8f6upuq05POHiDd3Ca86qybg&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=68191aaaf793e7e518452503cdd25ad3&oe=5FEA7942

128908070_3016983651736524_9152344088926302506_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=ByyaO3x9ABgAX_WUttz&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=392c18a1498e6a2a85b00902cf05dc1b&oe=5FEABDA9

128559228_3016983741736515_8435766312818618608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=yaJvzrLja8cAX-GkbTr&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=a440c0f23bd36d3fc4e16b8f53961386&oe=5FEA743C

129073576_3016983925069830_6864116748114730732_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=xx4SxynZWdgAX-aOJIC&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=d11cbfa4e57ad05db5a2dcfe77c4cd11&oe=5FEA635F

128959274_3016984115069811_1172219868113799896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=XanadPzMm-AAX9MY_vm&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=01757f63a06896154de84108dc8dbd01&oe=5FEB6A81

Renders look quite similar to the previous sunk one (except from the stern more into Gitana's type) hopefully we'll see it again in the water soon... any more news about it?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Has anyone heard what if anything Spindrift is planning? No word from their camp in awhile. I think last heard it was on the hard at Multiplast.

Capture.thumb.PNG.735ea18b1dccb3dda8d8909c81291291.PNG

??????????????????????????????????

;)

YOT Club - The Superyacht People

• Like 3
On 12/7/2020 at 9:51 PM, Son of a Sailor said:

Has anyone heard what if anything Spindrift is planning? No word from their camp in awhile. I think last heard it was on the hard at Multiplast.

AFAIK they're in a fairly big refit - they've bought a bunch of extra boatbuilders in so it seems like a lot of work is happening, foils would make sense....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

two notes from Tip & Shaft today

On Monday the Ultim 32/23 class revealed a change in governance with the departure of managing director Emmanuel Bachellerie, who will now devote himself entirely to the general management of the Brest Ultim Sailing company whose capital has evolved. The class itself should announce the new mode of governance in the first quarter of 2021 and also a proposed timetable for the years to come. Tip & Shaft tells you more.

One thing is certain. The class is still looking for new members for the two boats that are available today: ex Actual Leader - already sold, according to the previous skipper Yves Le Blevec but the new owner is no known yet - and M101, owned by Macif, for which François Gabart and his company, Mer Concept are trying to find some partners. "For the moment, we are contacted by people, but we'll be working hard on this in January to find a buyer to ensure the boat remains in the Ultim class. To achieve that, a solid, definitive and coherent programme is necessary," explains Jean-Bernard Le Boucher for Macif. He is pleased to announce that the sale of the former Macif to Actual Leader has been completed "at the price that was announced of 4.8 million euros excluding tax."

• 3 weeks later...

How do they cool the motor on foiling boats? 

Is there a water intake on the foils? 

Do they have to stop foiling while charging batteries?

Air coolers? 

Thanks

On 12/9/2020 at 4:37 AM, NZK said:

AFAIK they're in a fairly big refit - they've bought a bunch of extra boatbuilders in so it seems like a lot of work is happening, foils would make sense....

On 12/7/2020 at 3:51 PM, Son of a Sailor said:

Heard they've removed a portion of the main hull bow because it was wiggling laterally as they went through waves. Don't know if that is prepatory to reinforcement or just shortening. 

Picture is Newport RI July 2018

IMG_2575.JPG

On 1/4/2021 at 12:56 PM, popo said:

How do they cool the motor on foiling boats? 

Is there a water intake on the foils? 

Do they have to stop foiling while charging batteries?

Air coolers? 

Thanks

Air cooled, (very) small scoop on center main foil for watermaker and salt water service.

HW

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Laurent said:

I wonder what François Gabart is feeling right now... His old boat is going away and he has (AFAIK) no sponsor for the new one.

I would say stressed, but he's always been one to thrive under stress. Macif are paying to complete the new boat at least although it would then need to be "sold" to the new sponsor?

• Like 1

It's hard to imagine that a guy of his caliber can't find a sponsor. I would think that when he got on the market, french corporations would fight to get him.

1 hour ago, M26 said:

It's hard to imagine that a guy of his caliber can't find a sponsor. I would think that when he got on the market, french corporations would fight to get him.

The thing is that these Ultim programs are really something (and up to now they had quite a lot of issues, no big race finished without any foil, rudder, daggerboards issues.)

And the sailing sponsors these days are not the big "CAC 40" corporations (there has been a period where companies like Orange/france telecom or Veolia got involved, or Elf before, but not the case anymore).

And I don't see which "traditional sailing sponsor" (from IMOCA for instance) would like to go up the ultim  class.

But hope Gabart will find one !

• Like 2

If François was competing in any other class he's undoubtably have sponsors out the ears, I think its the extraordinary nature of the Ultimes and the extraordinary way in which this has happened (a new sponsor potentially having to pick up the bill for the boat, and for the running costs, in probably a rather fixed way, as opposed to building a programme around a budget).

1 minute ago, serialsailor said:

EzqFQYMXMAMlTXv?format=jpg&name=large

The new look. The boat has indeed benn shortened. The main hull used to be longer than the amas.

Just realized this is an awful Photoshop job. The boat obviously hasn't sailed in this configuration yet.

Some ubergreen discourse ...

Didn't get to the end yet, but apparently the name change is for the whole Spindrift team, not only the maxi tri

By the way 30x30 refers to the objective of protecting 30% of land surface and 30% of oceans/seas surface by 2030, not sure what that really means ..

But the boat has apparently exactly the same foils as before, what are its objectives ? Does it fit in the Ultim class now ?

Ultim is 32 length, 23 beam 

BPV was originally 40 length, 23 beam, (and 23 tons as per wikipedia)

8 meters to remove is quite a bit !

Edit :

According to Ultim news, it is now 37 meters boat length :

Spindrift 2, version 3

23/04/2021

Après 10 mois de chantier chez Multiplast à Vannes, Spindrift 2 a retrouvé la lumière. et les changements sont important.

La coque centrale a été complètement redessinée sur sa partie avant et raccourcie de 3 mètres. Le Maxi trimaran de Dona Bertarelli et Yann Guichar,d absent pour Covid 19, passe donc de 40 à  37 mètres.

Un cockpit entièrement refait et plus dans l'air du temps, des carénages sur les bras, une nouvelle déco, en lien avec la plate-forme créée pour sauver les océans et sans doute encore bien des choses que nous découvrirons plus tard.

https://www.ultimboat.com/copie-de-ultimes-news

So still out of the Ultim class (or Ultim 32/23)

I don't really understand the logic of the modification.

Spindrift was, and still is IMHO, much bigger but also much heavier than the Ultim Class trimaran. Because of the weight, it is not really a foiler, in the sense that it does not take off like the others.

On one hand, I have a hard time understanding how removing 3 meters to the main hull will make it faster than in its previous configuration.

On the other hand, I have a hard time seeing how removing 3 meters will suddenly make it light enough to be a real foiler, capable of competing on pure speed performance with the Ultim trimarans.

I think they will lose on both fronts.

And from V&V (cred for the vid find)

Above: the launch of the maxi-trimaran Sails of Change ex-Spindrift 2 (ex-Banque Populaire V) this Saturday, April 24, 2021 in Vannes. Having contracted the Covid, skipper Yann Guichard had not been able to make the trip. You will notice that the decoration of the boat has completely changed.

Another Covid casualty. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, Laurent said:

I don't really understand the logic of the modification.

Spindrift was, and still is IMHO, much bigger but also much heavier than the Ultim Class trimaran. Because of the weight, it is not really a foiler, in the sense that it does not take off like the others.

On one hand, I have a hard time understanding how removing 3 meters to the main hull will make it faster than in its previous configuration.

On the other hand, I have a hard time seeing how removing 3 meters will suddenly make it light enough to be a real foiler, capable of competing on pure speed performance with the Ultim trimarans.

I think they will lose on both fronts.

I didn’t either until I remembered that Idec Sport is older than Spindrift, chunky built and very much a non foiler with a tiny mast and still the fastest boat to sail around the world. Removing 3m from the boat should help remove weight from the nose of the boat and reduce pitching in a lumpy sea state?