money wins!

Editor

Nobody is fooling anybody here - Money, plain and simple, won the Melges 20 Miami Winter Regatta. Our guesstimate at the combined daily rate paid to the pros on the first and second place Kilroy boats is something around $6,000. Per day. Every day. That is every race day, practice day (of which there are way, way, way more than actual race days). That is what is paid to the pros. Just to go sailing. Every day. $6,000 between two Kilroy Melges 20's. Every. Fucking. Day.

And we haven't even talked about the rest of the program - the exclusive North Sail sail agreement they have, or the untouchable boat preparation, or the accommodations, physical therapists, etc., etc., etc.. Money rules. Every. Fucking. Time.

No one isn't saying the Kilroy kid isn't any good, but what kid wouldn't be with such an incredible advantage? You could plug in about 100 junior sailors from virtually anwahere in the world and they'd be doing exactly this. Maybe even better.

You can't beat this. You will never beat this. Money wins. Every. Fucking. Time. Way to go, winners. You really played an even field - you must be so proud.

Shouldn't you sue us now?

money wins.jpg

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it matter though? It obviously matters to other Melges 20 racers but this isn't an Olympic where the giant budget might be crushing others on the way to the national team in what is ostensibly a youth/amateur activity. This looks like a whole lot of money got spent to achieve something that can't actually be worth that amount of money. Or perhaps these people are so rich, that $6000 x 7 days or whatever is comparable to the faction of income the rest of us spend on gas trailering to the race. In which case it's about wealth inequality and the .01%, which is a pretty serious challenge.

yes, rich guy wins. but isn't it time to start to have transparency about how much is really being spent?

why not just have rules saying you can't hire pros? or pros can only make minimum wage? quite frankly, it would be none of your fucking business what i paid my employees of the moment.

if someone wants to spend a suitcase full of money on a race, big deal. there are bigger fish to fry.

What is the world coming to when a rich guy can excel in yachting competition ?

My God. This Just Won't Do.

+1

There are two reasons to race in a class dominated by pros.

1- they really are -that- good and you can learn a lot.

2- You are really -that- good and can show them up... maybe only occasionally, but enough to satisfy

The third reason, of course, is that you're DELUDED into thinking #2 is the case but it isn't even close; when that happens and you walk away mad... whose fault is that?

FB- Doug

right, keep it all away from prying eyes. nice job, cheyney.

toss out the figures on what the web site makes. and the "yacht club". and the "america's cup syndicate"

no? not going to? gee, i wonder why.

Money wins!

You are stating the obvious.

Should we take a bunch of money from the Kilroys and spread it around the Melges-20 fleet?

Or re-write the Melges-20 class rules?

Or... what, exactly?

Reminds me of Philippe Kahn a decade or so ago and little Shark, his son.

Typical thinking of a Leftist!!!!

That is so funny to hear from someone that used to make a living in sailmaking.

So should we be like Pee Wee football or baseball and remove scoring, everyone should just get a participation award and not have winners or losers?

Someone must be a have not and is a bit jealous of someone that has a lot!!!

Gotta agree with Ed on some levels,

but then, hey, exciting that there are more jobs for pros and they're sharing their skills (by kicking some butts)

at least two sides to every story

I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks. Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too.

threadjack! what was this from? i just can't remember...

There are some really awesome sailors on that boat. I say congratulations to a guy with some extra money whom enables others to pursue their passions, and make a decent living while doing it. I also say congrats to a team that worked hard to be where they are!

http://www.theonion.com/article/rich-guy-wins-yacht-race-620

NEWPORT, RI–Some rich guy came in first Monday in that big, famous yacht race held every year at the Newport Yacht Club, a big, fancy yacht place with "a whole lot of really expensive-looking boats and shit," sources reported.

"There were a whole bunch of boats out there on the water, with all these rich guys running around on them, moving ropes from here to there and switching sails around to, you know, try to make the boats go faster, I guess," said 61-year-old Newport-area dockworker Bill Duigan, who witnessed the rich guy's stunning 11th-hour victory from more than three miles away while hosing bird shit off a pier. "I couldn't see what was going on too well, on account of they were way the hell out there on the water, but from where I stood, I guess I'd have to say it looked like that one with the blue sails was movin' at a pretty good clip. I heard he was the one that won."

Duigan was then yelled at to quit talking and get back to work.

The victory marks the approximately 87,000th consecutive yacht race to be won by a rich guy since competitive yachting began, oh, probably a hell of a long time ago, sources figured.

yes, rich guy wins. but isn't it time to start to have transparency about how much is really being spent?

Sure. You can start. Explain stuff like where the money for the SA AC challenge went. Then start posting up all the free stuff / price reduced stuff (including boats) you've been given for pimping it. Then tell us how much you get for whoring out to companies and posting glowing BS about their products. Then explain how money wins when you get new boats and sails then beat up on the local FT-10 fleet. Cause transparency is good.

Go ahead.

o-POT-MEET-KETTLE-570.jpg

I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks. Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too.

threadjack! what was this from? i just can't remember...

Steve Martin

Sehr interesant... The Ed gripes that money made talent a moot point in a race that is ostensibly about sailing ability and a chorus howls "communist," having missed the first point entirely.

Chorus, your 1%-ness is showing.

One or two competitors outspending the rest kills classes. It's happened many times before. What's curious is that, if I've got my history right, Kilroy has been at the other end of that shitty stick. Maybe he doesn't remember. Maybe he doesn't care. Owners who want to buy half a dozen pros are what 40 footers were invented for. Whatever. I won't lose sleep if the Melges 20 class self-destructs.

This is and has always been a money driven sport. You cannot cry when the biggest cheque book wins.

If you want a bit of perspective try and hang out at your local go-kart track and watch the piles of $$$ spent on little johnnies speeding around the race track. That makes our sport look like a bunch of amateurs when it comes to spending. I have personally seen $15000+ spent on a 3 day race meet for a 12 year old kid to win a state title, not national not world just a Queensland state title.

just another yachting event in the world where the playing field is no longer level........where this fucking ridiculous idea that yachting is a media sport is promoted.......and self obsessed individuals try to grab headlines. The organisations designed to protect our sport and level that field so it appeals to the participating masses sit back and watch it happen and so the participating masses dwindle in front of our very eyes !!!! a limited number of competitors want to spend more time in front of the camera than in their boats as if they are famous on the world stage in a sport where the only spectators who know what the hell is going on are the ones who do it !!!! its laughable....

This is and has always been a money driven sport. You cannot cry when the biggest cheque book wins.

But you can walk away and the history of sailing is full of classes that thrived until one or two started outspending everyone else.

Not sure how much this applies to the M20 because it already seems to be a class where people with very big wallets go and play on little boats.

You might as well open a thread amazing money facts in sport.

Every grand slam tournament in tennis earns the winner between 2 and 3.3 mln$ every year every tournament.

So: Australian open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros, US open

Source: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/highest-prize-money-in-tennis-grand-slams/

Transfer wages in football.

Record holder Gareth Bale from Tottenham hotspurs to Real Madrid. 86 mln$

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

Price money in golf:

Jordan Spieth Fedex champion. 22 mln $ in 2015

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/28/golf/jordan-spieth-record-winnings/

Cheer up. There's always golf.

Golf is hard and you can't pay anybody to hit the ball for you.

post-17796-0-65545100-1454925020.png

Fedex pays golfers to hit their ball.

You might as well open a thread amazing money facts in sport.

Every grand slam tournament in tennis earns the winner between 2 and 3.3 mln$ every year every tournament.

So: Australian open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros, US open

Source: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/highest-prize-money-in-tennis-grand-slams/

And teh guys at teh top recently threatened to pull out if the money didn't get spread more evenly.

We have what's called Tall poppy syndrome in Australia Ed. What do you call a dickhead that rubbishes someone else's achievements.

Take it up with the event organisers if you don't like the rules.

Well done the winners. You played by the rules and won fair and square. You should be proud. If this lot don't like it... Fuckem.

Sailing is awesome. Not many sports where you can throw your hat in the ring with the pros. My kids have sailed against olympians, americas cup sailors and a few world champions. That's just at club level. They are all the better for it. You don't get to do that in tennis, golf, or football. I for one hope it never changes.

But you can walk away and the history of sailing is full of classes that thrived until one or two started outspending everyone else.

Not sure how much this applies to the M20 because it already seems to be a class where people with very big wallets go and play on little boats.

If it was happening in the vipers, or i550, then that would be a surprise. But the m20 has been about money and pros for a long while.

So what, a father with the means to give his child the world at his fingertips is apparently a bad thing now? Get fucked.

Yes it is a bad thing actually. I know a few kids who were handed the world on a platter and continue to act like entitled adolescents into middle age,doing fuck all with their lives. At which point it has ceased to be cute.

Yet here we have a young kid putting it on the podium... Is he doing fuck all?

When he wins something like the 29er worlds, we'll know he can actually sail. Jury's out until then.

Has Shark Kahn won anything major since his M24 worlds?

Wait another 20 years and we'll know.

For the time being you'd rather hang shit on a 12 year old. Nice.

Oh for heaven's sake. Not what I said at all.

You can't beat this. You will never beat this. Money wins. Every. Fucking. Time. Way to go, winners. You really played an even field - you must be so proud.

Boo fucking hoo.

And what, you've just come to this conclusion?

Well stop the fucking the press.

+1

One or two competitors outspending the rest kills classes. It's happened many times before. Owners who want to buy half a dozen pros are what 40 footers were invented for. Whatever. I won't lose sleep if the Melges 20 class self-destructs.

must be why the america's cup is so expensive... except that Oracle was the biggest spender in the ACV5 valencia series, and didn't bring the cup home at that point...

I like sailing against people who are better than i am, teaches me a lot. The other thing is, if you set yourself a goal, for example win a world cup, one of the things you do as a good manager, is get the best team around you to get the job done. more resources = better team.

i don't think there is a point in discussing the "how much should have been reasonable to spend on events" question.

i don't think there is a point in discussing the "how much should have been reasonable to spend on events" question.

It's exactly the kind of conversation class association committees I've been involved with do have. As they've seen other classes collapse. M20 isn't however the poster child for the benefits of cost control.

Nobody is fooling anybody here - Money, plain and simple, won the Melges 20 Miami Winter Regatta. Our guesstimate at the combined daily rate paid to the pros on the first and second place Kilroy boats is something around $6,000. Per day. Every day. That is every race day, practice day (of which there are way, way, way more than actual race days). That is what is paid to the pros. Just to go sailing. Every day. $6,000 between two Kilroy Melges 20's. Every. Fucking. Day.

And we haven't even talked about the rest of the program - the exclusive North Sail sail agreement they have, or the untouchable boat preparation, or the accommodations, physical therapists, etc., etc., etc.. Money rules. Every. Fucking. Time.

No one isn't saying the Kilroy kid isn't any good, but what kid wouldn't be with such an incredible advantage? You could plug in about 100 junior sailors from virtually anwahere in the world and they'd be doing exactly this. Maybe even better.

waawaawaa

can't run with the big dogs, go the fuck home.

pussy.

honestly -- who the fuck cares?

what a whiny rant. Apparently there's some 'right' level of money to be spent in a yacht regatta, and anything over that is 'wrong'. That level is somewhere around what the Ed can afford.

What do you reckon the average parents of a Euro/US/Asian opti kid at the top level spend when doing a big regatta? .. and that's on an 8ft shitbox.

If you don't like classes where the pro's play - go join a fleet where they're excluded.

honestly -- who the fuck cares?

what a whiny rant. Apparently there's some 'right' level of money to be spent in a yacht regatta, and anything over that is 'wrong'. That level is somewhere around what the Ed can afford.

What do you reckon the average parents of a Euro/US/Asian opti kid at the top level spend when doing a big regatta? .. and that's on an 8ft shitbox.

If you don't like classes where the pro's play - go join a fleet where they're excluded.

+1

Who cares how much money people spend to have fun.

Melges 20 is pro class from the start.

Most of you are too young to remember the I.O. U rule: He who spends the most wins.

It has always been this way.

The Golden Rule - Those with the most gold will make all the rules...

If you want a bit of perspective try and hang out at your local go-kart track and watch the piles of $$$ spent on little johnnies speeding around the race track. That makes our sport look like a bunch of amateurs when it comes to spending. I have personally seen $15000+ spent on a 3 day race meet for a 12 year old kid to win a state title, not national not world just a Queensland state title.

Are you bragging or complaining?

typical. shoot the messenger. yawn.

That wasn't a message.

That was a rant

Doesn't mean he might not have been right. Winning by massively outspending the opposition? Douche move. Utterly.
But not what happened here.

75% of the Melges 20 fleet are spending the same or more.

Fourteen year old with fully funded program beat out twenty adult fully funded programs. It is pretty damn cool.

Step one, put together a good team with good chemistry.

Money can buy top pros. The fleet is laden with top pros. It takes skill leadership and enthusiasm to make the chemistry click. Putting a great team together with a talented 14 year old driver was an inspiring idea. I bet it got the team members stoked. I bet they loved sailing with the kid and it gave the team something extra.

Step two. Practice together. Practice a lot. They did. It showed. Teams with bad karma don't enjoyy practicing, see step one.

Step three. Have an outstanding driver. Ask any pro. The best pros can't put a mediocre driver on the podium.

Step four go to the regatta, competing against some of the best pros in the world and show em that a fourteen year old with that little something extra and a great team can win.

Hats off. I have this feeling that if I spent the same money, the kid would have beat me. I am pretty certain that if the Ed had spent the same money he would have had his arse kicked. That's why he hides in handicap racing. He has forgotten how hard it is to win in one design.

This just in.....Rich guy wins yacht race!

Jim Kilroy's mother dogsledded him and his siblings out of Alaska as a baby, alone.

He built an empire from nothing.

Old weak guys push you off of docks.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yet here we have a young kid putting it on the podium... Is he doing fuck all?

When he wins something like the 29er worlds, we'll know he can actually sail. Jury's out until then.

Has Shark Kahn won anything major since his M24 worlds?

Prom King?

Final exams might be getting in the way of sailboat racing.

Yo, Scooter, did you sail in this regatta? Were you somehow harmed by Kilory's efforts? Did you think AUDI Melges 20's were for cry babies who want a finishers medal? Holy fucking shit. Your rant is so stupid I can hardly believe I have wasted 10 minutes here reading about it. You are one jealous and bitter mother fucker. For someone who receives their fair of free shit, you sure do a lot of bitching about other's free shit.

Do you leave any stone unturned in your race preparations? If you had the means and the time why would you not do everything allowed to perform your best? If you're weak in one area would you not try to make up for it in another?

Sounds to me like you need to find a different sport.

Yo, Scooter, did you sail in this regatta? Were you somehow harmed by Kilory's efforts? Did you think AUDI Melges 20's were for cry babies who want a finishers medal? Holy fucking shit. Your rant is so stupid I can hardly believe I have wasted 10 minutes here reading about it. You are one jealous and bitter mother fucker. For someone who receives their fair of free shit, you sure do a lot of bitching about other's free shit.

Do you leave any stone unturned in your race preparations? If you had the means and the time why would you not do everything allowed to perform your best? If you're weak in one area would you not try to make up for it in another?

This is a guy who boasts about beating Beneteau cruisers with a M32 on beer can races.

I would imagine hes having a good laugh about the bait taking.

This is a guy who boasts about beating Beneteau cruisers with a M32 on beer can races.

He isn't baiting anyone. This is classic Scooter binky sucking bullshit. And he wants transparency? For a PRIVATE regatta using PRIVATE funds earned from a PRIVATE business? It's such a stupid premise. It's as stupid as trying to discuss chemtrails or alien coverups with someone.

Anyone care to flip the coin and tell us about all the good money thrown at losing? So, there aren't any rich guys out there spending a dump truck worth of cash into our sport (thanks all the same by the way) and getting their asses handed to them? Haven't any of you looked back off the transom and smiled at the rich fucker behind you? Fleeting at best, but it happens...

Young Kilroy, nice job. Oh, and thank your dad for dumping some tall dinero in to our sport and the local economy. Keep up the good work. don't chip your golden tooth on the cup at the bar ;).

Inversely, we'd all have a big fucking laugh at the kid if he finished DFL. Oh wait, that would be mean too...

Come on, the M20 is a money pit anyway it's always been that way, it's the way it was setup. The guys running M20 "campaigns" think 3 pros is chump change compared to their M32 or TP52 campaigns kinda like how guys would think Mumm30s were chump change as trainers for big IMS boats or custom built 5.5m were for 12s back in the day. It's not like the geezer rocked up at a Viper 640 regatta with the pimp program a beat a bunch of "only" upper middle class folk, you can be sure that there were a bunch of other M20 teams with similar levels of spending run by other trust fund babies/captains of industry.

And who cares whether the kid ever does anything for the rest of his life, Dad bought him a meaningless trophy. Guess what? All the time and $ you spend schlepping your kids to football, baseball and cricket practice and tournaments and buying them all kinds of gear is going to be for naught because they'll almost certainly never play after graduating high school. Maybe they'll learn some interesting life lessons. Or something...

http://www.theonion.com/article/rich-guy-wins-yacht-race-620

NEWPORT, RISome rich guy came in first Monday in that big, famous yacht race held every year at the Newport Yacht Club, a big, fancy yacht place with "a whole lot of really expensive-looking boats and shit," sources reported.[/size]

"There were a whole bunch of boats out there on the water, with all these rich guys running around on them, moving ropes from here to there and switching sails around to, you know, try to make the boats go faster, I guess," said 61-year-old Newport-area dockworker Bill Duigan, who witnessed the rich guy's stunning 11th-hour victory from more than three miles away while hosing bird shit off a pier. "I couldn't see what was going on too well, on account of they were way the hell out there on the water, but from where I stood, I guess I'd have to say it looked like that one with the blue sails was movin' at a pretty good clip. I heard he was the one that won."

The victory marks the approximately 87,000th consecutive yacht race to be won by a rich guy since competitive yachting began, oh, probably a hell of a long time ago, sources figured.

Precisely. Where I am there are even rich guys who write articles year after year on how affordable sailing can be, and asking why more people don't join in...

Well SA bent over and then some for Gunboat, which last time I checked was not selling boats to poor people. Seems the free rides thing was what it took to get good press and ignore all the things going on behind the curtain. The M20 class does nothing for SA...............so SA does nothing good for them ;)

Clean and Ed are not stupid though, we all posted on here and upped their traffic count and ad revenue that also funds threads we do like.

Yeah, sailing Melges32 against 4ktsb and then writing big article about barely beating them.

I think it is more retarded than spending money in Melges20 class.

One or two competitors outspending the rest kills classes. It's happened many times before. What's curious is that, if I've got my history right, Kilroy has been at the other end of that shitty stick. Maybe he doesn't remember. Maybe he doesn't care. Owners who want to buy half a dozen pros are what 40 footers were invented for. Whatever. I won't lose sleep if the Melges 20 class self-destructs.

+1

I wish we could have an intelligent discussion about this. I have seen more and more paid pros on small boats every year. At the same time, participation is dwindling. There is a connection. Once upon a time, guys were paid to sail on boats that could only be afforded by millionaires, Farr 40's, TP52, Maxis, ect. Small keelboats remained the realm of amateurs or a place for pros to sharpen their skills, but not for a check. But, as those grand prix classes died, these dudes still wanted to get paid. I started to notice it when I asked good sailors to sail with me on a J24 from time to time and I started getting quoted "day rates." I was thinking, what? you want me to pay you to sail on a J24, that is crazy. Like it or not, it is becoming part of the cost to compete and that is a terrible thing. Boats like the Melges 20 and the J70 are supposed to be the kind of boats the average sailor can afford. But, when you tack onto that thousands of dollars in "day rates" the actual cost to campaign is out of the reach of many of the sailors for which the boat was originally targeted. IMO, that is why the numbers plummet.

KWRW is great proof of this. Look at the J70 class 47 boats, only 13 were all amateur. That reason right there is why I did not buy one.

For some reason, I have never really had a problem sailing against a pro driver who is skippering his own boat. But, when a guy who is really no better than average spends a bunch of cash to get pros on this boat and then goes and gets the trophy, that is different and just turns people off. I have a lot of friends who are pro sailors, but the permeation of paid pros into small boats is going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Rich Guy Wins Yacht Race

800.jpg
The rich guy who defeated an estimated 75 other rich guys in Monday's regatta.
1200.jpg

NEWPORT, RI–Some rich guy came in first Monday in that big, famous yacht race held every year at the Newport Yacht Club, a big, fancy yacht place with "a whole lot of really expensive-looking boats and shit," sources reported.

"It is with great [something] that I hereby present this noble [something something] to a great competitor, gentleman and sailor, Mr. [something]," valet-parking attendant Larry Wynorski heard some yacht-club president or someone say during the gala awards dinner that followed the prestigious event, overhearing snatches of the speech from his spot in the parking lot outside the building.

"This must be a really big honor for the guy who won, whoever he is," Wynorski said. "They really went all out for him. I got a buddy Pete works in food service says the boss had 'em haulin' load after load of lobster and caviar and champagne in and out of there all night long. Matter of fact, he didn't even get off work until well after midnight, and the kitchen staff is usually on their way home by 10, 10:30 at the latest."

"It must've been one hell of a shindig," Wynorski added.

The yacht race–which, according to these two guys Stan and John in charge of lugging cables around, is one of the biggest deals of the year for the club–attracts "shitloads" of participants from "hell, all over the world."

"There was even this one guy who came all the way from, I don't know, China or Japan or somewhere like that, just to race his yacht," said limo driver William Mimms. "I'm not exactly sure where he was from, actually, since I didn't really talk to him all that much, because he kept the partition up the whole time."

"Still, you wouldn't think he'd come all that way unless it was pretty important," Mimms added. "This race was a real big deal, I'm telling you."

Other low-income laborers agreed. "You bet it was an important goddamn race," said marina worker Sam Tosch, who, along with his brother-in-law Bud, has a little boat he sometimes takes out fishing a bit, here and there, if he can get a weekend off, but, you know, nothing like this. "Believe me, these fellas, they take their boating real serious. I remember this one time, I was scraping barnacles off this one rich guy's hull, and he starts screaming at me, 'Be careful, you idiot! Don't you know that boat cost more than you'll earn in your whole life?' So, you can see how important it all is."

According to witnesses who observed him walking down a pier on his way to the awards banquet, the rich guy who won was "snappy-looking," wearing a fancy sailor's cap and some sort of big, lambs-wool sweater from the Hebrides. They also noted that the man was tall and well-tanned, and had a beautiful lady on his arm–in addition to being, of course, rich.

In recognition of his victory in the extremely prestigious competition, the rich guy received what sources within 50 feet or so described as "a big, fancy metal cup," which he held aloft while a bunch of other rich guys carried him around on their shoulders, clapping and cheering.

In addition to the big cup, the rich guy also apparently received, like, a ton of money, making him even richer.

Race officials could not be reached for comment on the rich guy's win, as they were cordoned off inside a special V.I.P. hospitality tent where nobody else was allowed. Club trustee Thurston Winthrop Wellington III, of the Hyannisport Wellingtons, did offer one remark, however, telling 19-year-old waitress Carrie Kallenbach to "move along but quickly, girl, if you like this job."

The victorious rich guy joins a long list of rich guys who have won sporting events this year. Among the other sports in which rich guys have excelled are "boat-rowing," "that crazy-looking horse/hockey thing," and "this one other golfy sport where you take this weird wooden hammer and, like, have to hit these striped balls through little metal things that are stuck in the grass."

Funny thing is, a few weeks ago, Ed had a FB post up making the comparison between the rise of pro's into what had been Saturday night Stock Car racing which has turned into the big business of NASCAR, to the increasing pro participation in Sailing. Said the same of tennis too.

Essentially he was making the point its an inevitable process in sports, and that it wasn't such a bad thing.

Now this whiny rant? Looks like the difference is the name "Melges"...

Ironically, I agree with him in this case, except his obviously selective outrage is bullshit.

http://cdn.sailingscuttlebutt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/ullman1986.pdf.pdf

2015-10-22_19-00-59.jpg

It's nice that a kid and his grandpa can spend a lot time and money together bonding over something that they both love.

And I think that the other competitors in the class know what they are up against, and if they cared that much they would be sailing Etchells.

+1

I wish we could have an intelligent discussion about this. I have seen more and more paid pros on small boats every year. At the same time, participation is dwindling. There is a connection. Once upon a time, guys were paid to sail on boats that could only be afforded by millionaires, Farr 40's, TP52, Maxis, ect. Small keelboats remained the realm of amateurs or a place for pros to sharpen their skills, but not for a check. But, as those grand prix classes died, these dudes still wanted to get paid. I started to notice it when I asked good sailors to sail with me on a J24 from time to time and I started getting quoted "day rates." I was thinking, what? you want me to pay you to sail on a J24, that is crazy. Like it or not, it is becoming part of the cost to compete and that is a terrible thing. Boats like the Melges 20 and the J70 are supposed to be the kind of boats the average sailor can afford. But, when you tack onto that thousands of dollars in "day rates" the actual cost to campaign is out of the reach of many of the sailors for which the boat was originally targeted. IMO, that is why the numbers plummet.

KWRW is great proof of this. Look at the J70 class 47 boats, only 13 were all amateur. That reason right there is why I did not buy one.

For some reason, I have never really had a problem sailing against a pro driver who is skippering his own boat. But, when a guy who is really no better than average spends a bunch of cash to get pros on this boat and then goes and gets the trophy, that is different and just turns people off. I have a lot of friends who are pro sailors, but the permeation of paid pros into small boats is going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

There are plenty of thriving classes that aren't dominated by pros. I'm thinking Vipers, Ultimate 20's, etc. They just aren't as visible as classes competing in Key West and other "grand prix" events. This year, I'm stoked to be racing our clubs fleet of racers and crew for a friend in his Day Sailer at the High Sierras (if there's water). No pros, no BS, but a good, fun class.

Just like in amateur cycling, we like to get all dressed up in a sponsor's kit and go a pretend to be pro bike racers. Sailing has that same problem. I'm a Cat 3 road racer and race against guys who can afford personal coaching and take off for hours a day to train. I can't. But I still enjoy the racing. Sometimes I'm lucky, smart or in good condition and can pull out a good result. But I still love it.

Even if you would want to limit the effect of money on the sport where would you draw the line? Even in semi-friendly club racing money talks. Money gets you new high performance sails, clean and polished bottoms, pro sailing instruction, electronic gadgets, time on the water practicing, etc.

We had a guy here in Chicago, Harry Nye. He owned a forging company, and a sailmaking company - Murphy and Nye. Naturally talented sailor, and had the dollars. At a weekend regatta he was leading after Saturday. A guy who had pulled his boat out of the water was grumbling, but didn't know Harry - "If I had Nye's money, his new boat, and new sails, I could win too." Harry overheard him and introduced himself. Then he offered to swap boats including sails on Sunday. The guy went with it and the RC gave permission. The guy went on to have his best race of the series finishing mid-pack. Harry won the race with the guys older boat and older sails.

Why should anyone think that they should be able to compete with pros. They're not better than you at accounting, lawyering or whatever other rich white people job you have; so why would you expect you're a better sailor?

They put in the time, be it paid or not, and it shows. Practice makes perfect. I think someone said that once before.

Whoever said that sailing is a unique sport that allows you to compete with the pros is right. It's pretty cool to be able to knock around the course with the upper echelon if you want to. Very few venues of sport allow this.

Sure. You can start. Explain stuff like where the money for the SA AC challenge went. Then start posting up all the free stuff / price reduced stuff (including boats) you've been given for pimping it. Then tell us how much you get for whoring out to companies and posting glowing BS about their products. Then explain how money wins when you get new boats and sails then beat up on the local FT-10 fleet. Cause transparency is good.

Go ahead.

o-POT-MEET-KETTLE-570.jpg

The kettle and the pot are extremely appropriate. Watch what happens with the new M32. Should be a repeat when there are no pros on the other boats.

Just shut the fuck up clean. Whiny little bitch. How many boats have you sailed on where individuals have been paid to participate due solely to the fact that their skill will have a positive impact on the performance of the boat?

Archived