Why did the j90 never take off?

PinkSpinnaker

It was expensive too...carbon hull, foam core. Weighs in at 3300lbs, which is about 1700lbs lighter than the J-88. Tiny market of folks willing to spend that kind of cash on a 30 footer...J-125 suffered much the same fate.

It was also much less "sporty" than the 30' sport boats that came out at the same time (Henderson 30, Cheetah 30, Melges 30. But none of them produced huge numbers other than the Melges which had to morph into what it is now.

They lost money on everyone they built. It's got that lovely narrow nickel bronze keel fin. I've sail Rod's old Ragtime a bunch (crewed, shorthanded, offshore) when it came to the SF Bay and compete against it still. It had a lighter bulb that eventually went back to stock weight as the SF Bay isn't the best place for a tippy boat. The latest owner finally removed the 150lbs. saildrive that was added post Rod. It's fun to sail, narrow, wet, small, wet, narrow, and fun to sail. Ryan sailed his in the Singlehanded Transpac.

There was one in the UK which did very well sailing in a bowsprit class under irc againat other (mostly) J's. On planning conditions it out performed its rating and would beat us easily. Also had one major victory in a big boat IRC class winning one of Cowes Week's major trophies the Queens Cup. It was meant to be a one-design but there was never enough interest, expensive for a day boat less attactvie than a Mumm 30 or Melges 24 at the time both of which had strong OD and the M24 still does

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC it was never meant to be the barnburner that the Mumm and the Melges was. The 90 was supposed to be a platform from which the bigger, somewhat similar designs would be based off of (the 125, etc...). I may be totally off base on that...

They look like awesome boats.

Certainly a US boat - the old name is on the washboard but I didnt pay that much attention. Black Hawk? Black Knight? something along those lines I think. Someone familiar with the boats can probably fill in the gaps.

Now christened Aunt Jessie - the owner has (or had) a 125 of the same name.

Rod once said that one of the reasons for the J-90 was to show that J Boats

could do what Farr and NM could do. I think the three boats rated pretty even

at the time.

still do... Close to stock j90, Farr 30, hendo 30 and FT10 all used to race level over here (super 30 fleet).

I take it they removed the pimple from the deck? where rotating mast went? I thought about it but broker co-owned the boat and wanted too much $$$

Yep - Back to the conventional keel stepped carbon rig with rods now, no evidence of its past history with a rotating rig inside or out.

Archived