• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's some big boy sailing right there.  They should put it in the Olympics

So the bimbling is done....and as promised...here's the result. First splash since the refurb. The only question now is "should I get a new AoR boom?" At $1250, it's a question I need to ask myse

I'll give a quick report. It was windy, very windy. A lot of people bailed because Corpus Christi is known as a windy venue. First day , 17-25, big waves very close together. Super Henry goes swimming

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Shift Happens said:

Don't tell me even sailing is getting infested with cry-baby snowflakes!
If that guy needs a safe space from all the big mean Finn sailors, maybe he should go sit in an Opti and pout.

Yes but there are fewer in the finn class than any other. The finn  makes you man up... even if you're a woman. I respect both the men and  women who come out and compete in the finn. There are not many women out there but there are a few. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

Yes but there are fewer in the finn class than any other. The finn  makes you man up... even if you're a woman. I respect both the men and  women who come out and compete in the finn. There are not many women out there but there are a few. 

Sounds like impressive women for sure!  That must be a HARD pill to swallow for any guy if he loses to one of them!

Then again, if one of the women beats a male sailor, that puts a used Finn on the market the next day, right?

33 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

My favorite picture from Day 3 (no racing, by the way).

1418331905_ScreenShot2021-05-10at10_13_18AM.png

They aren’t kidding about “rollers” in Porto.   Anyone race there?   Give it up!

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

They aren’t kidding about “rollers” in Porto.   Anyone race there?   Give it up!

Never there but have sailed in some pretty large swells in the Atlantic off the SE US coast with similar partial views of surrounding boats.

4 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Never there but have sailed in some pretty large swells in the Atlantic off the SE US coast with similar partial views of surrounding boats.

Freaky yes?   

I got caught out a few times in a Laser at the entrance to Boston Harbor.  Ship channel narrows + tanker incoming+ swell = pray.

3 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Freaky yes?   

I got caught out a few times in a Laser at the entrance to Boston Harbor.  Ship channel narrows + tanker incoming+ swell = pray.

Fun but knowing there was nothing large around. Quite some rides downwind!

Those swells in Porto are quite impressive!

Hope they can race tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Hope they can race tomorrow.

They didn't. Love this statement:

"After more than four hours trying to get a start away on the third day, the race team had to contend with 120 degree shifts, huge waves, waterspouts, hail storms, and wind ranging from 3-33 knots. However with a deadline to be back in the harbour before the ebb tide kicked in, the fleet was sent ashore with no more races on the board."

Big swells - Day 3 Finn Gold Cup - Porto, Portugal - May 2021 - photo © BBDouro

Big swells - Day 3 Finn Gold Cup - Porto, Portugal - May 2021 - photo © BBDouro

https://www.sail-world.com/news/237466/Finn-Gold-Cup-Day-3-No-racing-possible

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Alan Crawford said:

Three races completed today (May 11) in the Finn Gold Cup. Maloney (NZL) leads followed by Berecz (HUN) and Junior (NZL). Luke Miller (USA) is in 7th.

https://proregatta.com/events/162/

The Andy and Josh show continues. However both are carrying a 23 and 20 respectively as their worst performances. Whereas Zsombor and Joan have their worst performances as 11. The gap between first and fourth is 11 points, send and fourth just six. 

As a kiwi its pretty exciting stuff.

WS voted for the kite option. It now goes to the IOC.

The part concerning the two options considered (470, kites) starts at 1:27:00

Note that there were only two options considered, 15 submissions (Including three MNAs supporting the return of the Finn) were put forward by MNAs but only two met the criteria set by the events committee. What Jo Aleh said was important. Basically, the will of many sailors was not followed. 

I enjoy watching You Tube vids of Finn sailing, vey informative, as I sail a Europe which is similar but somewhat smaller and lighter. One thing I notice is the sails tend to always look very flat, not much depth at the foot.

One question, for upwind sailing do Finn sailors cleat the mainsheet and use the traveller to adjust the angle of the boom, hence maintain leach tension?

14 hours ago, blunderfull said:

“less prone to OCS on….line”. 

What the hell?

5C44971C-E351-4ABB-AEFB-5A962D19DE79.jpeg

Harder to see from the committee boat?

5 hours ago, chuso007 said:

In a big fleet maybe?   But, I think it’s a marketing tongue-in-cheek wink/wink.

Does WB make their own laminates?

10 hours ago, triumph72 said:

I enjoy watching You Tube vids of Finn sailing, vey informative, as I sail a Europe which is similar but somewhat smaller and lighter. One thing I notice is the sails tend to always look very flat, not much depth at the foot.

One question, for upwind sailing do Finn sailors cleat the mainsheet and use the traveller to adjust the angle of the boom, hence maintain leach tension?

Answer, it depends and you're always adjusting . From 0 to 12, I would say that most people are adjusting mainsheet more and traveler is pretty much in the same spot. When wind is steady and 12-20ish, mainsheet is cleated more and traveler adjustment is happening more in the puffs and lulls, . when's it's 20 plus I find the adjustments between main and traveler fairly even. You do not want to be in big shifts and puffs with a cleated mainsheet imho.   

6 hours ago, chuso007 said:

WB's old cloth which was made by contender was a yellow color, most norths and other manufacturers use a technora cloth that is black/ grey. The new contender cloth that WB is using is the same black/grey color as the other manufacturers so it is harder to distinguish on the line  

• Like 1

Picture lifted from the Belgium Finn sailing web page showing some boats with WB sails using the yellow color Contender cloth versus North's and other with black / gray. Puts the new WB add into perspective. 

463986302_ScreenShot2021-05-18at10_22_19AM.png

1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

WB's old cloth which was made by contender was a yellow color, most norths and other manufacturers use a technora cloth that is black/ grey. The new contender cloth that WB is using is the same black/grey color as the other manufacturers so it is harder to distinguish on the line  

Right.   But, by adding “…Contender revised fibre selection.”  leads me to believe WB was w/o options for the old laminate at this time.

I liked the look of the yellow/brown.  

Judging by the numbers of the old sails out there I think most people never worried too much about their laminate color.

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

Right.   But, by adding “…Contender revised fibre selection.”  leads me to believe WB was w/o options for the old laminate at this time.

I liked the look of the yellow/brown.  

Judging by the numbers of the old sails out there I think most people never worried too much about their laminate color.

yes, WB was without options on the cloth. Too bad though,  i liked the old cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

Junior selected ahead of Maloney for New Zealand at the Tokyo Olympics.

"Tokyo Olympics: Josh Junior earns New Zealand team Finn selection ahead of Andy Maloney - NZ Herald" https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/tokyo-olympics-josh-junior-earns-new-zealand-team-finn-selection-ahead-of-andy-maloney/6O3T52Y43DZTL6PUV5NZFO6Z2E/

• Like 1

https://www.sail-world.com/news/238017/Finn-sailor-accosts-IOC-President-over-2024-Events

Top Finn sailor Facundo Olezza grabbed an opportunity during an informal "ask me anything" Question and Answer session at the 10th International Athletes Forum, to question International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach over the exclusion of the Finn and all male sailors over 85kgs from the 2024 Olympics.

• Like 3
On 5/27/2021 at 12:13 PM, Bruce Hudson said:

Junior selected ahead of Maloney for New Zealand at the Tokyo Olympics.

"Tokyo Olympics: Josh Junior earns New Zealand team Finn selection ahead of Andy Maloney - NZ Herald" https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/tokyo-olympics-josh-junior-earns-new-zealand-team-finn-selection-ahead-of-andy-maloney/6O3T52Y43DZTL6PUV5NZFO6Z2E/

Tough for Andy M but JJ is class.

Winning Gold Cup is way tougher than Olympics anyway?   I think so.  Hope Olympics happen in any event.  Good luck to all Finn Sailors.   Last hurrah for class.   Very hard to understand still.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Larry Lemieux rescuing the Singapore 470 crew at the Seoul Olympics has to be a great moment in Finn racing. 

• Like 1

I didn't know the story myself until I came across it in an ESL text for newcomers to Canada about great Canadians!

4 hours ago, spankoka said:

Larry Lemieux rescuing the Singapore 470 crew at the Seoul Olympics has to be a great moment in Finn racing. 

It was a great moment for Canada too as it happened at the same olympics as the ben johnson debacle. 

On 5/18/2021 at 1:32 AM, triumph72 said:

Depends on the sailor and their setup but you can do both, a lot of guys draw lines on the deck where the end of the boom should be in certain conditions (if it's really blowing the dogs off the chains and the traveler is all the way down the end of the boom is actually even with the gunwale and beyond the hull, versus light air the traveler comes about a quarter way up and the mainsheet is eased so the mast can stand up and put some shape back in the luff.

• Like 1

The interstate border with Queensland has reopened today so it's looking good for 40ish boats at the state Finn champs at RQYC in a couple of weeks time....even a decent contingent of Victorian boats making the journey (~2000kms each way!) With the Nats at Xmas cancelled by Covid, this'll be the next best gathering...pumped for it!!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

A great heavy air US Finn Nationals concludes today in Corpus Christi, Texas

https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/21811#_newsroom+results

Dang, Rody really making a statement!

Looking forward to the regatta report, disappointed I wasn't able to go, happy somebody from every fleet could make it!

• Like 1

Buggah! The latest Covid outbreak has just taken out another Finn regatta...QLD states now postponed until October. Well, at least I'll have time to replace my control lines and master the continuous loop splicing technique!! ;-)

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Buggah! The latest Covid outbreak has just taken out another Finn regatta...QLD states now postponed until October. Well, at least I'll have time to replace my control lines and master the continuous loop splicing technique!! ;-)

hopefully you get good at splicing so when you get to brissie you can do my ropes. thanks in advance

• Like 1

I went to Brissy on Wednesday, sailed Thursday, Friday and Saturday, expecting to sail Sunday and Monday but had to get out of Dodge (Wyndham Manly) by 6pm (real fast) and hi-tail it across the border all the way back to Sydney, near no cars or trucks on the road, think we counted 10 in total between Balina and Sydney.   Up side, super quick trip home, sitting on the speed limit, never had to slow down once (beside the big Banana in Coffs about mid-night).

That's the 2nd time it has happened to me this year, so it dose not just happen to Finn sailors.

Go back to Brissy pick up the boat and onto Arile in August and then to Magnetic Island (Sept) (a Covid hot spot now).

The joys of living in a country with trigger happy premiers!

But hell, prefer to be here than elsewhere, as long as I can get back to Garda before I die.

jB

On 6/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, onepointfivethumbs said:

Dang, Rody really making a statement!

Looking forward to the regatta report, disappointed I wasn't able to go, happy somebody from every fleet could make it!

I'll give a quick report. It was windy, very windy. A lot of people bailed because Corpus Christi is known as a windy venue. First day , 17-25, big waves very close together. Super Henry goes swimming on the first bear away and is done for the day. Rodi has good lead but jibes for left gate and flips. John F doesn't flip and wins race. Rodi flips no more and wins remaining races. Many flips and rescues. I am sore.  

Second day, first race 18-22, John F gets another bullet, I have my best race but get passed by Rob and Rodi on the last downwind. The downwind in the big breeze with the waves close together is really tricky. Seems the best technique is by the lee especially in the big puffs. Next race is 20-25 and it's getting brutal. Rodi goes beast mode with another bullet and the rest of the fleet is kind of set in their positions. Next race is 25-30 and I go in and take a throwout. I'm not embarrassed at all, must save my body and boat for last day. Rodi wins again. 

Last day is light maybe 12-14, get one race in before lightning chases us in. Final result, everyone is in their spot. Rodi who is clearly in the best shape wins, John f second, Rob Coutts , a beast in his 60's, third, Rodi's brother Nick, super nice guy 4th and yours truly 5th. I need to get in better shape and work on my big breeze downwind technique. My windiest regatta ever. I hope that soreness eventually goes away.

Big shout out to Corpus Christi yacht club which was a great host, Shannon Bush PRO was excellent, all staff, RC and Judges were awesome. Thank you all. The entire finn fleet that showed up, was ,as always, classy competitors, no protests, people handling their boats well in very trying conditions. It is amazing to watch everyone pack up. It goes so fast and everyone helps lift the boats to get bottom covers on.  It is a great group of guys. Also big thanks to Darrell Peck who was coaching and spent a crazy amount of time rescuing boats so that the masts didn't break. This takes a lot of technique in a shallow bay.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, tillerman said:

The Finn had a good run in the Olympics. All good things come to an end.

Nah...the lympix had a good run with the Finn. No longer relevant, the event has had its day...all good things come to an end.

• Like 4

Winter...and CoVid Lockdown #5...so the boat bimbling continues.... Today was the replacement of the control lines on the mighty "Onya".... Cunningham, inhaul, outhaul, vang - all continuous and colourful with invisible splices....with new traveller & footstraps! The only lines retained were the Mainsheet and Plate uphaul which were virtually new. I'm running out of stuff to do....the boat's looking brand new! Any ideas for further Pimping appreciated...specially the boat dolly....why are they so unbalanced and bloody bow heavy? What other options are there???

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Couta said:

Winter...and CoVid Lockdown #5...so the boat bimbling continues.... Today was the replacement of the control lines on the mighty "Onya".... Cunningham, inhaul, outhaul, vang - all continuous and colourful with invisible splices....with new traveller & footstraps! The only lines retained were the Mainsheet and Plate uphaul which were virtually new. I'm running out of stuff to do....the boat's looking brand new! Any ideas for further Pimping appreciated...specially the boat dolly....why are they so unbalanced and bloody bow heavy? What other options are there???

dont put the boat so far forward on the dolly

• Like 1
On 7/17/2021 at 8:59 PM, Rum Monkey said:

dont put the boat so far forward on the dolly

Don't make it so simple!!! I'm looking for distraction..... :D

9 hours ago, Couta said:

Don't make it so simple!!! I'm looking for distraction..... :D

If you're after a distraction Couta, how about having a run at this little beauty?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/derby/sail-boats/sail-boat-on-trailer-fiberglass-twin-hull-needs-repair/1277340614

I love the bit about fixing the hole where the wheel guard has punctured the hull "shouldn't be too hard to fix because it's a double skinned hull"! :lol:

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

If you're after a distraction Couta, how about having a run at this little beauty?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/derby/sail-boats/sail-boat-on-trailer-fiberglass-twin-hull-needs-repair/1277340614

I love the bit about fixing the hole where the wheel guard has punctured the hull "shouldn't be too hard to fix because it's a double skinned hull"! :lol:

Yeah Ta Jethrow....you've put it all into perspective for me....clearly I'm not that bored! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
16 hours ago, blunderfull said:

@ 2:10.  - …’captive mast chocks..’.   Cool.

yes, love the captive chocks. Don't love that he doesn't know the origin of the JC strap. Finn lore 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, surf nazi said:

yes, love the captive chocks. Don't love that he doesn't know the origin of the JC strap. Finn lore 

Maybe he’ll read this.  Uh, jibe control?  Hello?

7 hours ago, surf nazi said:

14 hours ago, View from the back said:

JC is jibe control.  Duh.

Duh, did you even bother to read the info in the link?

JC = John Christianson; he invented the JC strap for his Finn in 1966.

15 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Duh, did you even bother to read the info in the link?

JC = John Christianson; he invented the JC strap for his Finn in 1966.

Thank you

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

OK...so with rolling covid lockdowns and wintery weather here in the Sth of Oz (Victoria), the focus has been on bimbling the boat (2007 Devoti Classic) and I'm running out of things to do! All lines have been replaced, mast re-clearcoated, cleats serviced, boat polished, dolly repainted, spars & rudder bags repaired.....cover is fine....So...now what?? C'mon team, please help a fella find some time wasting little thing to while away the hours...oh, should mention...have visited every website and watched every Finn related vid a dozen times. Lympix helped...but with that chapter closed I'm looking for ideas

PS. Yes...in desperation I did build a hiking bench (The Abdominator) and use it while watching Finn event hi-light vids (The shorter, the better!!)...so....??? 

12 hours ago, Couta said:

PS. Yes...in desperation I did build a hiking bench (The Abdominator) and use it while watching Finn event hi-light vids (The shorter, the better!!)...so....??? 

Sounds tough! I am recovering with long-haul covid and have not been able to sail this summer so know the feeling. There's only so much boat work that can be done! Perhaps move your hiking bench into the shower and turn on cold water? :D

^^^ AC, I'd just need to move it onto the driveway to get the same effect!! I do have a Flying Fifteen just sitting there too...if I don't get some inspiration here, that might be the next bimble!!! Sorry to hear your situation with Long Covid...it's the unacknowledged shadow... Hang in there!

• Like 1
On 8/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, Couta said:

OK...so with rolling covid lockdowns and wintery weather here in the Sth of Oz (Victoria), the focus has been on bimbling the boat (2007 Devoti Classic) and I'm running out of things to do! All lines have been replaced, mast re-clearcoated, cleats serviced, boat polished, dolly repainted, spars & rudder bags repaired.....cover is fine....So...now what?? C'mon team, please help a fella find some time wasting little thing to while away the hours...oh, should mention...have visited every website and watched every Finn related vid a dozen times. Lympix helped...but with that chapter closed I'm looking for ideas

moved to qld and you can pimp my ride

Loui Finn 3.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Rum Monkey - Anyone got plans/design for a really good trailer that incorporates the Devoti dolly? Something that can be loaded /unloaded on your own...Maybe that's the next thing....but it has to be registerable so I can get up to QLD and play with you fellas..

The thing I've come to learn about the Finn is that...the ONLY thing you can do with it single handed...is sail it! :D Maybe that's why the fellas sailing them are so competitive ON the water...and so friendly OFF it!

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Hey Rum Monkey - Anyone got plans/design for a really good trailer that incorporates the Devoti dolly? Something that can be loaded /unloaded on your own...Maybe that's the next thing....but it has to be registerable so I can get up to QLD and play with you fellas..

The thing I've come to learn about the Finn is that...the ONLY thing you can do with it single handed...is sail it! :D Maybe that's why the fellas sailing them are so competitive ON the water...and so friendly OFF it!

single or double?

my single has fixed ramps and a light winch on the front so i can load it by myself.