dylan winter

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Recommended Posts

On 1/5/2021 at 7:26 PM, Cristoforo said:

Speaking of boobs, we've had polls on Ginger or Maryann, what about Aly or Megan?

 

Do you realley wantne starte a gourmande vs. gormette discussione on thisse?             :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, Hugo still has a piss poor tits-per-minute ratio. But he ends up his racing season by a win

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leuk said:

Meanwhile, Hugo still has a piss poor tits-per-minute ratio. But he ends up his racing season by a win

 

 

 

He doesn't show many women in his videos but I know he's getting maximum ass. His guests are always beautiful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chick rebuilding steering quadrant wearing a tube top complains on a long rant  about anonymous pervs on the internet. Makes sense. She is from Utah an d the boat is in Mass.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Chick rebuilding steering quadrant wearing a tube top complains on a long rant  about anonymous pervs on the internet. Makes sense.

I guess it makes sense ... to someone who describes a woman as a "chick".

If viewed through a non-pervy lens, what we actually have here is a young woman raised on DIY, who is working hard to tackle a big boat-repair project, and making a good job of it.  She is dressing for job, which means wearing tyvek overalls most of the time, and wearing minimal clothing when doing hard work outside in the heat.

But some men see only tits, and spam her with lewd comments.  And bizarrely, even when that's flagged up one man comes here to call her a "chick" insist that he sees only tits.

Is it any wonder that some women enjoy this sort of joke book?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
19 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Is it any wonder that some women enjoy this sort of joke book?

Is that a joke book? I thought it was a textbook.

Haha :D

But in my head, I can't dissociate it from the 1992 All Men Are Bastards Diary, which included this magnificent joke:

Q. What's the definition of the perfect man?

A. The one who screws you silly until 3am ... then turns into a pizza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Haha :D

But in my head, I can't dissociate it from the 1992 All Men Are Bastards Diary, which included this magnificent joke:

Q. What's the definition of the perfect man?

A. The one who screws you silly until 3am ... then turns into a pizza

Yeah. No problem with jokes like that from me, lots of them are deserved anyway and if you can't take it, you shouldn't bring it. I've heard a lot of definitions of the perfect woman too but I'm not going there. Mainly because I've had long term close relationships with very bright women and am still on very good terms with my first wife.

FKT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ajax said:

He doesn't show many women in his videos but I know he's getting maximum ass. His guests are always beautiful. 

Seeing the size of his boats, I hope he gets this in portions, not in one go.

 

Edit : to be fair, loads of bearded, folks are visiting him, in fact. Skinny asses, though. But they do show their tits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Chick rebuilding steering quadrant wearing a tube top complains on a long rant  about anonymous pervs on the internet. Makes sense. She is from Utah an d the boat is in Mass.  

 

For everyone convenience, her rant starts here : 

I could see your point, but it's honestly shocking to see how stupid, or even downright psychotic some people hiding behind a keyboard can be. Hearing her describe the sort of shit she has to put up with, just because she's a woman basically, is revolting to say the least. And come on. Wishing for someone to die? Over rebuilding a boat? It's actually the first time I see this subject raised in that sort of vid, and it puts a lot of perspective on the others. It's one thing to joke or criticize or dismiss a content, but acting like a total perv or an envious sicko and making sure they read the result is another step entirely. Why should they get that sort of crap just because they're posting refit vids?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 9:46 PM, Panope said:

Thanks, JJ

Assuming I have not shown their favorite anchor in a spectacular failure, then It could be something as basic as my demeanor or even the sound of my voice that just rubs them the wrong way.

Can't please them all.

Steve

Panope, you should have a link to your youtube in your sig, or else you apparently aren't a real person :)  (but the real reason is so I can find your vids and see if I like them or not)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steveyates said:

Panope, you should have a link to your youtube in your sig, or else you apparently aren't a real person :)  (but the real reason is so I can find your vids and see if I like them or not)

A google search for panope anchor test isn't the hardest task ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leuk said:

For everyone convenience, her rant starts here : 

I could see your point, but it's honestly shocking to see how stupid, or even downright psychotic some people hiding behind a keyboard can be. Hearing her describe the sort of shit she has to put up with, just because she's a woman basically, is revolting to say the least. And come on. Wishing for someone to die? Over rebuilding a boat? It's actually the first time I see this subject raised in that sort of vid, and it puts a lot of perspective on the others. It's one thing to joke or criticize or dismiss a content, but acting like a total perv or an envious sicko and making sure they read the result is another step entirely. Why should they get that sort of crap just because they're posting refit vids?

That is a pretty good rant.  I've watched a few of their videos, and think "well, that's not the way I would have done that", but they are young and learning.  In my mid 20s my brother and I renovated a house, looking back 30 years later I think "well, that's not the way I'd do it today"...

Vile comments over her looks are nuts - why should it matter?  I don't watch Acorn to Arabella for anyone's looks... (no offense meant to the guys).  Haters gotta hate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steveyates said:

Panope, you should have a link to your youtube in your sig, or else you apparently aren't a real person :)  (but the real reason is so I can find your vids and see if I like them or not)

 

Steve, I post my YouTube crap in the thread - Anchor Geekdom.

As for the poor promotion, I wish to present myself here as a participant in this nautical bullshit session - NOT as a salesman.

Steve

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, leuk said:

For everyone convenience, her rant starts here : 

I could see your point, but it's honestly shocking to see how stupid, or even downright psychotic some people hiding behind a keyboard can be. Hearing her describe the sort of shit she has to put up with, just because she's a woman basically, is revolting to say the least. And come on. Wishing for someone to die? Over rebuilding a boat? It's actually the first time I see this subject raised in that sort of vid, and it puts a lot of perspective on the others. It's one thing to joke or criticize or dismiss a content, but acting like a total perv or an envious sicko and making sure they read the result is another step entirely. Why should they get that sort of crap just because they're posting refit vids?

It's not they "they" get that sort of crap just because they are posting refit video's online.

It's that everyone gets that sort of crap online when they become "internet famous".

There is just a certain percentage of people on earth who are touched in the head. If you attract a million viewers, and even 1% are a bit fucked, that's 10 000 people you don't want viewing, commenting, whatever.

I have a mate who's "youtube famous" in a completely different industry and he had to move house because people started showing up at his home, and they have tracked him down because you could see enough significant landmarks to tell what area he lived in (he had been pretty active in hiding his address) but people still tracked him down and showed up.

That's the price of fame.

Most of it is just putting up with people asking for autographs at the airport, but there are crazies out there who do the wrong thing.

This is why the movie super-stars get paid so much money, they don't get $20 million because they are a great actor in the latest Avengers movie, they get $20 million because 500 million people will see the latest Avengers movie and as a main actor your life will never be the same because of it, they will need security guards when in public, gated housing, they can never go to the shops again without being harassed etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darth reapius said:

It's not they "they" get that sort of crap just because they are posting refit video's online.

It's that everyone gets that sort of crap online when they become "internet famous".

There is just a certain percentage of people on earth who are touched in the head. If you attract a million viewers, and even 1% are a bit fucked, that's 10 000 people you don't want viewing, commenting, whatever.

I have a mate who's "youtube famous" in a completely different industry and he had to move house because people started showing up at his home, and they have tracked him down because you could see enough significant landmarks to tell what area he lived in (he had been pretty active in hiding his address) but people still tracked him down and showed up.

That's the price of fame.

Most of it is just putting up with people asking for autographs at the airport, but there are crazies out there who do the wrong thing.

This is why the movie super-stars get paid so much money, they don't get $20 million because they are a great actor in the latest Avengers movie, they get $20 million because 500 million people will see the latest Avengers movie and as a main actor your life will never be the same because of it, they will need security guards when in public, gated housing, they can never go to the shops again without being harassed etc.

I completely agree with your analysis. The end result is no less shocking. And I think it's way more than 1%.

Sailing/refit channels is still a relatively confidential domain. They don't have that many views per vids. Even La Vagabonde means peanuts compared to an average gaming channel. Plus the audience is supposed to be a bit more mature, at least in age. The normal/fucked up comment ratio on that sort of platform is never good. And while everyone gets a good share of those, females are very generously served. Being anonymous allows sociopaths to indulge in their talent, and it has revealed that this is not an endangered species. This debate goes far beyond our little floating activity anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell is other people.

A couple of friends suggested that we start a YT channel where we each sail in our own little environs in the Chesapeake and document it because the bay is so diverse. No tits, no bikinis, no Paypal, no Patreon, no quitting or day jobs. Not for money, just for fun.  I thought about it.

No way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Hell is other people.

A couple of friends suggested that we start a YT channel where we each sail in our own little environs in the Chesapeake and document it because the bay is so diverse. No tits, no bikinis, no Paypal, no Patreon, no quitting or day jobs. Not for money, just for fun.  I thought about it.

No way.

Who is your target audience?  Cause I aint gonna watch a no bikini YT channel unless its on par with KTL.  Middle age guys need something to draw them in.  A good story or a scantily clad 20 year old will do it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Hell is other people.

A couple of friends suggested that we start a YT channel where we each sail in our own little environs in the Chesapeake and document it because the bay is so diverse. No tits, no bikinis, no Paypal, no Patreon, no quitting or day jobs. Not for money, just for fun.  I thought about it.

No way.

It's been done

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes, I'm familiar with these videos. One reason they're so great is because there's so little dialogue to ruin them. They don't really explain or discuss much.

I think my friends had something more "KTL-like" in mind, where we sail but also narrate and explain the history and culture of each place we visit. There would be more dialogue. All the more reason for me not to do it. No one wants to hear me prattle on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Oh yes, I'm familiar with these videos. One reason they're so great is because there's so little dialogue to ruin them. They don't really explain or discuss much.

I think my friends had something more "KTL-like" in mind, where we sail but also narrate and explain the history and culture of each place we visit. There would be more dialogue. All the more reason for me not to do it. No one wants to hear me prattle on.

You put me on thier channel a couple years ago. Good stuff! But like KTL,...you have to wait for new material. Looking at the thumbnails posted here, it's worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ajax said:

Oh yes, I'm familiar with these videos. One reason they're so great is because there's so little dialogue to ruin them. They don't really explain or discuss much.

I think my friends had something more "KTL-like" in mind, where we sail but also narrate and explain the history and culture of each place we visit. There would be more dialogue. All the more reason for me not to do it. No one wants to hear me prattle on.

If there are hot chicks involved, I might watch you in a vid prattling on [LOL]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slice o' cheesecake from the PG-rated Wynns on Curiosity:

If you pass the 'Nikki in a bralette' cardiac stress test, the 'Nikki threatens her thumb with a machete' stress test might do for you instead. (Spoiler alert: She's pretty handy with the chopper.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Slice o' cheesecake from the PG-rated Wynns on Curiosity:

If you pass the 'Nikki in a bralette' cardiac stress test, the 'Nikki threatens her thumb with a machete' stress test might do for you instead. (Spoiler alert: She's pretty handy with the chopper.)

They’re the well-groomed aw-shucks super-nice plain-vanilla suburban neighbours I’ve never had and never want to have (if I lived in the ‘burbs) because I wouldn’t have a clue what to talk to them about :-).  Favourite pizza recipes, probably.  “I like to put Italian herbs in my pizza dough.  You?  I saw your wife in a bralette once.  I mean, not, well, I mean....”. Then awkward silence.  

”Nice Capri pants, dude.  Where’d you, um, get them?”

420D1F75-26B6-4710-A4BE-98DAD5297431.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ajax said:

I think my friends had something more "KTL-like" in mind, where we sail but also narrate and explain the history and culture of each place we visit. There would be more dialogue. All the more reason for me not to do it. No one wants to hear me prattle on.

I think it sounds like a great idea.  People on boats visiting places they know, and telling stories.

I can only speak for me, but I do want to hear you.  I think of this series as being something like RTÉ's Sunday Miscellany

Provided of course, that none of you ever say "awesome", "cool", "neat", "stoked" etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

They’re the well-groomed aw-shucks super-nice plain-vanilla suburban neighbours I’ve never had and never want to have (if I lived in the ‘burbs) because I wouldn’t have a clue what to talk to them about

Perfect, Jud.

That couple are the ultimate example of bland, vacuous, suburban upper-middle-class niceness, complete with her obligatory perfect white teeth for all those perfect suburban smile photos.  The perfect illustration of the life unexamined and the privilege unchecked.

I do hope that they are the product of some brutal lobotomisation experiment. Not because I wish cruelty on anyone, but because the alternative explanation is that such soullessness may arise naturally, which would be be even more scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I think it sounds like a great idea.  People on boats visiting places they know, and telling stories.

I can only speak for me, but I do want to hear you.  I think of this series as being something like RTÉ's Sunday Miscellany

Provided of course, that none of you ever say "awesome", "cool", "neat", "stoked" etc

Even I don't want to hear me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I think it sounds like a great idea.  People on boats visiting places they know, and telling stories.

I can only speak for me, but I do want to hear you.  I think of this series as being something like RTÉ's Sunday Miscellany

Provided of course, that none of you ever say "awesome", "cool", "neat", "stoked" etc

epic...please, nobody declare it's epic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Perfect, Jud.

That couple are the ultimate example of bland, vacuous, suburban upper-middle-class niceness, complete with her obligatory perfect white teeth for all those perfect suburban smile photos.  The perfect illustration of the life unexamined and the privilege unchecked.

I do hope that they are the product of some brutal lobotomisation experiment. Not because I wish cruelty on anyone, but because the alternative explanation is that such soullessness may arise naturally, which would be be even more scary.

well that's pretty harsh.  they are certainly regular folks but they are also cruising and living in remote island/sea places so not so uninspired as to not be able accomplish that.  and, i never heard them say epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

If there are hot chicks involved, I might watch you in a vid prattling on [LOL]

Maybe you could call your channel “Sailing Diddles”, piggybacking on the brand identity of the similar sounding hot chicks in bikinis sailing channel.  Plus, diddling, I mean “diddles” in the title might get you more hits...it’ll be epic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno... I always end up with lingering suspicions about young people with that much wealth and leisure.  Petty of me, I know.  

Still, I expect to discover that they're sitting on a pile of Nazi loot. Or fronting for a drug cartel.  Those overnight sails? Disposing of bodies, probably.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chester said:

well that's pretty harsh.  they are certainly regular folks but they are also cruising and living in remote island/sea places so not so uninspired as to not be able accomplish that.  and, i never heard them say epic.

Chester, nobody living on a big expensive yacht and flying back-and-forth from it is "regular folks".  Regular folks work two jobs to pay the rent on a crappy home.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chester said:

well that's pretty harsh.  they are certainly regular folks but they are also cruising and living in remote island/sea places so not so uninspired as to not be able accomplish that.  and, i never heard them say epic.

TwoLegged didn’t watch the short but sweet bralette part, I think, where she rollllllls out the dough, so TL is reading too much into the video :-) :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

TwoLegged didn’t watch the short but sweet bralette part, I think, where she rollllllls out the dough, so TL is reading too much into the video :-) :-)

I haven't watched any of that video.  But over the years, i have watched probably a dozen of the Wynns' other videos, and that's how I form my judgement of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, chester said:

well that's pretty harsh.  they are certainly regular folks but they are also cruising and living in remote island/sea places so not so uninspired as to not be able accomplish that.  and, i never heard them say epic.

When paperwork was signed and refit finished, they christened their boat using a wine aerator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

When paperwork was signed and refit finished, they christened their boat using a wine aerator.

Let them eat cake!

E760728B-0638-474C-A5BB-7864BF8A274D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

When paperwork was signed and refit finished, they christened their boat using a wine aerator.

I had to google "wine aerator".  Mother of God ... it's almost as obscenely pretentious as a fish knife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 1:09 AM, TwoLegged said:

Q. What's the definition of the perfect man?

A. The one who screws you silly until 3am ... then turns into a pizza

This yin POV ("fuck me") is how women since the dawn of time have cultivated the yang alpha male ("fuck you") archetype.  The joke has considerably more than a grain of truth.  And so it goes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, savoir said:

They lost me when the underwater lights went on.

true...'cause under water lights are epic...fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

When paperwork was signed and refit finished, they christened their boat using a wine aerator.

groan...obviously i should have been more familiar with their work before defending them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or how about, the Wynns let down their milquetoast hair, and go crazy with wife swapping at a hippie jungle festival?

Nah.  It would tarnish the brand..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chester said:

groan...obviously i should have been more familiar with their work before defending them.

Hah, I was actually watching of their vids before they bought a boat when they were working remote out of an RV.  Specifically they do some deep delves into the different hardware they actually use.

Although yeah, they are social influencers of their generation and the Hipster is strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I had to google "wine aerator".  Mother of God ... it's almost as obscenely pretentious as a fish knife.

We own a wine aerator.:unsure: It was a gift! We only use it ironically. Also many cheese knives, a marble rolling pin, and a pizza peel (for those 3am post-boff snacks). 

I like the Wynns. For the same reasons I like the aforementioned rescue kitten YouTubes: They are super cute, feisty, harmless, and soothing in a world full of anger, spite, and violence. They come from priviledge, and few of us here can escape that charge, but they are self-aware enuf to know it and they generally try to behave decently and tread lightly. They put in the hours and get better at things. If their curiosity seldom qualifies as intellectual, they still take an interest in the world and people around them. They seem kind, happy, and in love. I`m not sure on what basis we ought ask more.

"I was not born to save this world, but to live in it." -- Thoreau

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ajax said:

Even I don't want to hear me. 

You'd make good company on a boat,  I like people who don't like the sound of their own voice !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my god, I'm on youtube this fine afternoon, sadly not sailing :(

What do I see?

ANOTHER FUCKING AMERICAN YOUTUBE SAILING CHANNEL, STARRING SOME LITTLE BITCH WITH A FUNNY NAME, A STUPID AS HELL CHANNEL NAME, NOW WITH A PATREON ACCOUNT!

They have only made 26 videos before this one (their 27th episode) before they "ask the community to contribute" because "they would love it" and wish they could "give us extra features the you don't get 'just watching the videos'".

This channel doesn't even go sailing in all their videos, just a handful of them unfortunately.

I won't lie, their leading star isn't exactly a supermodel either with some pretty questionable tatts and they have some nothing of a 35 foot 4ksb, but really just spend all their time gawking at other peoples boats and doing boat tours (which they have some weird fettish for windows, naturalists eh?).

Anyway, if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqPp5578PHo

I'm more of an "onlyfans" guy, but this one actually sounds pretty cool, apparently they are involved with some sailing website as well, I forget which one.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Oh my god, I'm on youtube this fine afternoon, sadly not sailing :(

What do I see?

ANOTHER FUCKING AMERICAN YOUTUBE SAILING CHANNEL, STARRING SOME LITTLE BITCH WITH A FUNNY NAME, A STUPID AS HELL CHANNEL NAME, NOW WITH A PATREON ACCOUNT!

They have only made 26 videos before this one (their 27th episode) before they "ask the community to contribute" because "they would love it" and wish they could "give us extra features the you don't get 'just watching the videos'".

This channel doesn't even go sailing in all their videos, just a handful of them unfortunately.

I won't lie, their leading star isn't exactly a supermodel either with some pretty questionable tatts and they have some nothing of a 35 foot 4ksb, but really just spend all their time gawking at other peoples boats and doing boat tours (which they have some weird fettish for windows, naturalists eh?).

Anyway, if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqPp5578PHo

I'm more of an "onlyfans" guy, but this one actually sounds pretty cool, apparently they are involved with some sailing website as well, I forget which one.

 

Well played, DR!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darth reapius said:

I won't lie, their leading star isn't exactly a supermodel either with some pretty questionable tatts and they have some nothing of a 35 foot 4ksb, but really just spend all their time gawking at other peoples boats and doing boat tours (which they have some weird fettish for windows, naturalists eh?).

Anyway, if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqPp5578PHo

It's only a startup, but on the upside there is no man bun ... and are no tits on view.  The latter will probably rule it out for all the men who are still tying to compensate for having been bottle-fed ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

You'd make good company on a boat,  I like people who don't like the sound of their own voice !

Most people act like silence is a hole that must be filled, as if somehow, the hole is offensive to them. People need to learn what "companionable silence" means and learn to enjoy it.

Sailing is an activity to be enjoyed by all of the senses, including sound. The birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage. Please STFU so I can enjoy it. My blood pressure drops 10 points when I anchor out in a place away from the white noise of humanity such as ground traffic, air traffic, leaf blowers, air conditioning and ceiling fans.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diarmuid said:
11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I had to google "wine aerator".  Mother of God ... it's almost as obscenely pretentious as a fish knife.

We own a wine aerator.:unsure: It was a gift! We only use it ironically. Also many cheese knives, a marble rolling pin, and a pizza peel (for those 3am post-boff snacks). 

I am not sure that you can get away with the irony defence for owning that many gadgets.  Especially the multiple cheese-knives.

It's like a push-up bra. You can own one ironically, but by the time you have a whole drawer-full in different colours, the irony drowns due to the lack of juxtaposition.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Sailing is an activity to be enjoyed by all of the senses, including sound. The birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage. Please STFU so I can enjoy it. My blood pressure drops 10 points when I anchor out in a place away from the white noise of humanity such as ground traffic, air traffic, leaf blowers, air conditioning and ceiling fans.

To that list in the last sentence, I add engine noise. When the birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage etc are interrupted by a feckin engine, it's like being back on a city street.

I agree about companionable silence.  It's a much under-rated virtue.

OTOH, when it is time to talk, I want the company of people who have something of substance to say.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Most people act like silence is a hole that must be filled, as if somehow, the hole is offensive to them. People need to learn what "companionable silence" means and learn to enjoy it.

Sailing is an activity to be enjoyed by all of the senses, including sound. The birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage. Please STFU so I can enjoy it. My blood pressure drops 10 points when I anchor out in a place away from the white noise of humanity such as ground traffic, air traffic, leaf blowers, air conditioning and ceiling fans.

It's amazing how far one has to go these days to find that kind of quiet. You are nicely settled in a quiet anchorage on an offshore island and the wind shifts to the NE and suddenly the private aircraft are going overhead in the landing pattern.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One reason why I'm looking forward to sailing off the coast for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ajax said:

One reason why I'm looking forward to sailing off the coast for awhile.

In which case, you will discover just where the US Navy jets do a lot of their practicing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your burning question answered here.

I had to look it up after yesterday’s spirited discussion of required bourgeois accoutrements..  I’m not much of a wine guy —I’ll drink it paired with (yes, I just said “paired” - on purpose) the right food, but on its own, it’s no big deal to me.  Maybe I’m missing out.  Yes, sure, I would eat Nikki’s pizza and drink her wine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Elegua said:

It's amazing how far one has to go these days to find that kind of quiet. You are nicely settled in a quiet anchorage on an offshore island and the wind shifts to the NE and suddenly the private aircraft are going overhead in the landing pattern.  

 

I find the magic pretty close to home - on the boat. But you have to get up early because it doesn't last long. That is usually enough peace,  to reset my mental stability,...

 

4:52 am, anchored about 10 miles from home. 

2096308139_Dawn4-52.thumb.jpg.88fa29825d6a46dc368988c7bb5dad2a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We own a wine aerator but not because we're wine snobs. It's because we're not.

My favorite score is to find a decent red for <$5 a bottle and it's a rare day indeed that I pay more than $10. These aerators can make a $5 bottle drink like an $8 bottle and, depending on the wine, a $10 bottle.

Yes, I could just open it and let it breath for an hour but patience isn't a virtue in our household where wine is concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skipjack Sailing, my favourite old retired US Navy nuke tech, talks up Palomino de La Guajira, in eastern Colombia; discusses why he prefers hanging out in the slightly-sketchy parts of town; buys some possibly-illegal indigenous hooch; plays some Monty Python tunes on a ukulele; and more.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

 

I find the magic pretty close to home - on the boat. But you have to get up early because it doesn't last long. That is usually enough peace,  to reset my mental stability,...

 

4:52 am, anchored about 10 miles from home. 

2096308139_Dawn4-52.thumb.jpg.88fa29825d6a46dc368988c7bb5dad2a.jpg

It’s funny - now that I only keep my boat in a marina in the winter for security from winter storms (with the ancillary benefit of being able to get projects done that are too difficult to do when you have to row out to a mooring), I sort of hate being in a marina: it’s harder to leave, there’s all the idle chitchat that people want to have, etc. And frankly not having the private space to pee overboard when I want.  :-) Being on a mooring has spoiled me. Some days I’ll simply row out just to row out, or just to hang out.  A few hundred feet from shore changes everything...lose the cell phone, and it’s paradise...

Sometimes I’ll find a reason to climb the mast - keeos me in practice - to check on something and just to enjoy the view - totally different than being penned up in a marina 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

 

I find the magic pretty close to home - on the boat. But you have to get up early because it doesn't last long. That is usually enough peace,  to reset my mental stability,...

 

4:52 am, anchored about 10 miles from home. 

2096308139_Dawn4-52.thumb.jpg.88fa29825d6a46dc368988c7bb5dad2a.jpg

I'm only one peninsula away from you.  I wake up early for two reasons: the only thing I like to hear is the sound of my Simplex kettle for coffee and I like to catch the am E/NE to get out of the river. 

ACtC-3dfhLgkD39nMS8jBqAvMzNFR3cp7BED_J3P

By about 8am, breakfast is done and there a light E/NE breeze.  The SW'er filled-in nicely in the afternoon. 

ACtC-3ftg1TfAdC__blEeC6MRAIh_WkMdHdoUfFX

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, good point- I forgot the sensory experience of the morning ritual. The "pop" of bacon in the skillet, the odor and taste of quality, fresh brewed coffee. Watching the steam escape from the cup while watching the sunrise on a cool, spring morning.

This is also something not to be ruined with the crassness of human speech.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

One reason why I'm looking forward to sailing off the coast for awhile.

After spending a few weeks going down the ICW from Annapolis to Southport NC. I headed outside. It was so relaxing in comparison. Like most newbies I was afraid to leave the security of the ICW but going outside was a piece of cake compared to constantly trying to navigate a narrow channel and I wont even mention how many times I ran aground in the ICW.

And unlike sailing in the Chesapeake you aren't constantly dodging crap pots.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Veeger said:

In whicfh case, you will discover just where the US Navy jets do a lot of their practicing....

A couple F-15s where using me as target practice when I was on the ICW. The first dozen times the flew directly overhead it was pretty cool. The next few dozen times it was just annoying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Roam said:
2 hours ago, Veeger said:

In whicfh case, you will discover just where the US Navy jets do a lot of their practicing....

A couple F-15s where using me as target practice when I was on the ICW. The first dozen times the flew directly overhead it was pretty cool. The next few dozen times it was just annoying.

Twice on visits to difft parts of northern England, I have been out for a walk on the sides of a valley only to have jet fighters scream though very close, below me.  On both occasions, the planes were less than 200 feet way at their closest, and on each occasion, the planes were actually below me.

Low-flying is one of the RAF's specialities, but it is appallingly intrusive.  On each occasion it completely spoilt my day out; I just turned back.

That's one of the many reasons I am glad that the Irish Air Corps has no jet aircraft (apart from than a passenger jet).  It means that our countryside is not disrupted by such military willy-waggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

That's one of the many reasons I am glad that the Irish Air Corps has no jet aircraft (apart from than a passenger jet).  It means that our countryside is not disrupted by such military willy-waggling.

Can we please save this kind of supercilious willy-waving for PA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happens all the time around here.  Military aircraft stationed at coastal bases hop over to their practice ranges east of the mountains and play "top gun" in the canyons and valleys in between, then home for lunch. There have been a number of mid-air collisions over the years, including a couple of crop-dusters that got creamed.  I see the "top view" of F-15s and KC-135s all the time.  Once, an A-10 flew in between my house and barn so close that I could see the pilot's face.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always felt that America is a highly militarized culture and society, whether explicitly (i.e., the number of bases everywhere), or just on the margins, woven into the subtle fabric of daily life in many places, and Hollywood movies  (and I grew up in Washington, DC - so very glad to be nowhere near there now).  If I had to hear F-15s on a regular basis while cruising, the personal would indeed become the political :-). (As Gloria Steinem or someone said)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Elegua said:
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

That's one of the many reasons I am glad that the Irish Air Corps has no jet aircraft (apart from than a passenger jet).  It means that our countryside is not disrupted by such military willy-waggling.

Can we please save this kind of supercilious willy-waving for PA?

That's a rather childish response to discussion about a public nuisance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno... I recall hiking in Switzerland and noticing that there always seemed to be a pair of jet fighters in the air, zooming back and forth.   Eventually, I hypothesized that they had to stay in Swiss airspace, so they had to, you know, keep turning around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, toddster said:

Dunno... I recall hiking in Switzerland and noticing that there always seemed to be a pair of jet fighters in the air, zooming back and forth.   Eventually, I hypothesized that they had to stay in Swiss airspace, so they had to, you know, keep turning around.  

They needed slower planes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’ve always felt that America is a highly militarized culture and society, whether explicitly (i.e., the number of bases everywhere), or just on the margins, woven into the subtle fabric of daily life in many places, and Hollywood movies  (and I grew up in Washington, DC - so very glad to be nowhere near there now).  If I had to hear F-15s on a regular basis while cruising, the personal would indeed become the political :-). (As Gloria Steinem or someone said)

When we get a southerly, we can hear and feel the Growlers taking off in Anacortes. I resent the noise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Twice on visits to difft parts of northern England, I have been out for a walk on the sides of a valley only to have jet fighters scream though very close, below me.  On both occasions, the planes were less than 200 feet way at their closest, and on each occasion, the planes were actually below me.

Low-flying is one of the RAF's specialities, but it is appallingly intrusive.  On each occasion it completely spoilt my day out; I just turned back.

That's one of the many reasons I am glad that the Irish Air Corps has no jet aircraft (apart from than a passenger jet).  It means that our countryside is not disrupted by such military willy-waggling.

It’s not like you had helicopter gun ships cruising down the Falls Rd at 3am at rooftop height or anything like that...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

That's a rather childish response to discussion about a public nuisance.

Think of how you framed your response.  It's CA, so you you can post how you want, but there might be other ways to get your point across. Another thread polluted by your throwing shades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

When we get a southerly, we can hear and feel the Growlers taking off in Anacortes. I resent the noise.  

Too many Growlers can indeed make you burp.

26DA641E-5B49-4532-AFDB-283332D094A4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Growlers can indeed  make you burp.

 

Yes. I have been thinking that one of these high-tech growlers might make a nice christmas present for the boat galley, but so far nobody has taken the hint.

19928.jpg

 

... or is that getting too close to wine aerator territory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ajax said:

Most people act like silence is a hole that must be filled, as if somehow, the hole is offensive to them. People need to learn what "companionable silence" means and learn to enjoy it.

Sailing is an activity to be enjoyed by all of the senses, including sound. The birds, the sea life, the wind, the water against the hull, the creak of the cordage. Please STFU so I can enjoy it. My blood pressure drops 10 points when I anchor out in a place away from the white noise of humanity such as ground traffic, air traffic, leaf blowers, air conditioning and ceiling fans.

 

sp1.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites