Jump to content

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Small shitty cars.   They like to park right next to a tiny fuel efficient car so that the doors dont open to get back in.  They also like to park in Tesla charging spots and take up the space so battery cars cant charge.  So, basically its against anything that tries to be more green.

What kind of complete twat does something like that?  I mean, what kind of upbringing causes that kind of behavior? 

The other question I have, living in the South where we have young guys driving new $60,000 aggro-looking pickups, is where do these kids get the money to own these trucks?  I commute 30 miles every morning, and I dread this time of year, because a high percentage of these trucks will leave their bright headlights on full-time. Wankers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

What kind of complete twat does something like that?  I mean, what kind of upbringing causes that kind of behavior? 

The other question I have, living in the South where we have young guys driving new $60,000 aggro-looking pickups, is where do these kids get the money to own these trucks?  I commute 30 miles every morning, and I dread this time of year, because a high percentage of these trucks will leave their bright headlights on full-time. Wankers!

A few young friends of my daughter are going through bankruptcy now or thinking about it, and in each case they have a dodge ram or f150. Easy credit. One kid has a pickup and 10-15k worth of tools; got out of trade school to be a diesel mechanic, bought all the gear on credit, and thought he was golden. Then had trouble finding work as a diesel truck mechanic last year.  Meanwhile closer to the ocean every marina had openings for marine diesel mechanics but he didn’t want to move. Some of these young people have grown up seeing people buying new cars and wouldn’t imagine buying used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

A few young friends of my daughter are going through bankruptcy now or thinking about it, and in each case they have a dodge ram or f150. Easy credit. One kid has a pickup and 10-15k worth of tools; got out of trade school to be a diesel mechanic, bought all the gear on credit, and thought he was golden. Then had trouble finding work as a diesel truck mechanic last year.  Meanwhile closer to the ocean every marina had openings for marine diesel mechanics but he didn’t want to move. Some of these young people have grown up seeing people buying new cars and wouldn’t imagine buying used.

A lot of the companies up here are also advertising low weekly lease payments. Sounds like a good deal until you realize you are locked in to some of these deals for 8 years and if you lose your job you are screwed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

A lot of the companies up here are also advertising low weekly lease payments. Sounds like a good deal until you realize you are locked in to some of these deals for 8 years and if you lose your job you are screwed.

It’s called being “truck poor”. Used to be house poor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

What kind of complete twat does something like that?  I mean, what kind of upbringing causes that kind of behavior?

Same sort of arsehole attitude that parks an expensive sports car right on the white line so as to take up 2 parking spaces, because they don't want to risk someone bumping their precious with a door or something.

There was one in Hobart notorious for it. Getting booked didn't seem to matter. One day at Salamanca Place I parked my beat up old 4WD utility with dents all over it approx 20mm off of his driver's door, in the parking space he was straddling. I almost fit in it.

I didn't get booked and I couldn't notice any new dents.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, savoir said:

Of course.  Any idiot with a pulse can get an auto loan these days.  Sub prime is still alive and well.

It’s worse than that. You can roll your negative equity into a new car loan when you trade in your car with the 8 year loan at the 5 year mark, pushing you further upside-down. You are even farther upside down if they give you one of those no down payment loans. They even do it for used cars so you have people owing $40-50k on a used car that was never worth more than $15.

They use some innocuous sounding term like roll-over. 

Usery, pure and simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elegua said:

Usery, pure and simple. 

I guess the cynical calculation by the lenders is that with the fed base rate stuck at 0.25%, the margins on these loans are high enough offset the high rate of default.  So long as the courts allow them to screw the defaulters, the usurers are still making money.

Similar bankster scumbags were doing similar scams in the Celtic Tiger era in Ireland.  110% mortgages on bubble-inflated house prices, huge car loans to school-leavers, etc.  When it all went crash from 2008 onwards, there were a lot of suicides :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I guess the cynical calculation by the lenders is that with the fed base rate stuck at 0.25%, the margins on these loans are high enough offset the high rate of default.  So long as the courts allow them to screw the defaulters, the usurers are still making money.

Similar bankster scumbags were doing similar scams in the Celtic Tiger era in Ireland.  110% mortgages on bubble-inflated house prices, huge car loans to school-leavers, etc.  When it all went crash from 2008 onwards, there were a lot of suicides :( 

There are still hundreds of half built houses scattered around Ireland that were started in 2008/9.  Twelve years on and they still can't be sold.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is a very small [sailing] world…. I had the pleasure of meeting Sophie [a true sea-salt-tough-cookie-skipper] at the RORC SW1 back in 2017 and then sailed a few months later with her around the Solent aboard a very nice to helm Elan37. Happy days… good to see too she’s firmly back on her feet schlepping about on K&Ms new build for Novak…. Another looksee of said boat here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGT7RjWmIzQ

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

Because nobody wants to live in Ballygobackwards.

No, the too-many-houses-in-remote-places problem was true ten years ago, but demand has caught up with the oversupply.

It's because the residue are badly-built crap which in many cases have rotted through being left open to the elements since the building abruptly stopped.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

No, the too-many-houses-in-remote-places problem was true ten years ago, but demand has caught up with the oversupply.

It's because the residue are badly-built crap which in many cases have rotted through being left open to the elements since the building abruptly stopped.

 

We just received an unsolicited letter in the mail from a hopeful buyer of our house. She went into detail about the house history, the neighborhood and why she and her husband would like to raise their family here. 

 

I'm a life longer home builder/restorer that has lived through many highs and lows in the housing market.

 

I have never seen anything remotely like this market. It appears to be global. How can that be? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I have never seen anything remotely like this market. It appears to be global. How can that be? 

Because for the second time in the last 13 years, govts/central banks have a) printed money on a massive scale, and b) given most of that money to small numbers of people who already have money rather than to those struggling to get by.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno.  Twenty years ago, I was getting almost weekly inquiries.  Although the numbers weren't so insane back then.  Haven't got one lately, except a couple of realtors sniffing around.  

Logically, if not emotionally, this is probably the right time to bail.  The idea of moving aboard during the winter is a little daunting though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toddster said:

Dunno.  Twenty years ago, I was getting almost weekly inquiries.  Although the numbers weren't so insane back then.  Haven't got one lately, except a couple of realtors sniffing around.  

Logically, if not emotionally, this is probably the right time to bail.  The idea of moving aboard during the winter is a little daunting though.  

Yeah but selling now is like moving to Florida: It's a one way trip for most. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

These high-latitude videos make my hands and feet cold just looking at them.

I wanna go where it's warm!

 

LOL she’s gonna need more bathing suit if she comes to Maine!

I am visiting my parents in FL (they are 80 and divorced and have divided the state between them) and after a few days of this I feel like if I could get on a slow boat to Svalbard I would do so in a heartbeat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

No, the too-many-houses-in-remote-places problem was true ten years ago, but demand has caught up with the oversupply.

It's because the residue are badly-built crap which in many cases have rotted through being left open to the elements since the building abruptly stopped.

 

Oh I dunno,

Been down Leitrim/ Roscommon way lately?

 

 

 

 

 

lol

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even sad little shacks out in the woods around here are selling for outrageous prices if they have a good view.  The price is just for the property.  What is killing a lot of deals is lack of a good water well and/or enough soil for a good septic system.  Can't finance those properties and the owners have no resources to rectify the situation.  They're just kind of trapped.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

No, the too-many-houses-in-remote-places problem was true ten years ago, but demand has caught up with the oversupply.

It's because the residue are badly-built crap which in many cases have rotted through being left open to the elements since the building abruptly stopped.

 

Demand has caught up ?  Not even almost.  Here's one.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-reennanallagane-glenbeigh-co-kerry/3464178

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this has been posted yet and I can't help but describe it as a mashup of "Girl with Patreon Account Doesn't Go Anywhere on a Mud Flat" and "Mocking Ads on Craigslist: What happened after we bought an 85% complete restoration project" These guys have a channel but this video is actually made by David Johns, the Cruising the Cut narrow boat guy. Johns  is a retired TV professional so his videos are really good and he gets the most views of YT the narrow boat channels, of which there are several. He's very kind to the owners of this boat in this mini documentary but he's not a conventional boat guy so maybe doesn't feel the scale of the challenge in his bones. This is more like Leo Goolden moving aboard Tally Ho on a mudflat, with three children, and then restoring it. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I don't think this has been posted yet and I can't help but describe it as a mashup of "Girl with Patreon Account Doesn't Go Anywhere on a Mud Flat" and "Mocking Ads on Craigslist: What happened after we bought an 85% complete restoration project" These guys have a channel but this video is actually made by David Johns, the Cruising the Cut narrow boat guy. Johns  is a retired TV professional so his videos are really good and he gets the most views of YT the narrow boat channels, of which there are several. He's very kind to the owners of this boat in this mini documentary but he's not a conventional boat guy so maybe doesn't feel the scale of the challenge in his bones. This is more like Leo Goolden moving aboard Tally Ho on a mudflat, with three children, and then restoring it. 

 

Yeah I watched that one when it came out - I'm a 'Cruising the Cut' junkie.

After seeing the shots of the interior of that BSO, my instant reaction was - good luck with that.

Personally I'd strip off all the bronze & metal I could, pull the engines etc and have a lovely bonfire.

IIRC there's an old Navy minesweeper near my place that's waiting on a can of fuel & a match. Been through at least 3 sets of starry eyed dreamers so far.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

We just received an unsolicited letter in the mail from a hopeful buyer of our house. She went into detail about the house history, the neighborhood and why she and her husband would like to raise their family here. 

 

I'm a life longer home builder/restorer that has lived through many highs and lows in the housing market.

 

I have never seen anything remotely like this market. It appears to be global. How can that be? 

Currently doing an electrical project in a new build (house) in Vancouver - owners gutted an absolutely massive corner lot house, dug 25 ft under ground, and have had installed a basement and sub-basement.  Quarter mil in construction costs so far just for basements (all poured slab).  It’ll be many times that cost for the entire house when all is said and done.  Only one example with which I’m familiar through firsthand experience.  Where is the money coming from....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Currently doing an electrical project in a new build (house) in Vancouver - owners gutted an absolutely massive corner lot house, dug 25 ft under ground, and have had installed a basement and sub-basement.  Quarter mil in construction costs so far just for basements (all poured slab).  It’ll be many times that cost for the entire house when all is said and done.  Only one example with which I’m familiar through firsthand experience.  Where is the money coming from....

China?

What do I win?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

We just received an unsolicited letter in the mail from a hopeful buyer of our house. She went into detail about the house history, the neighborhood and why she and her husband would like to raise their family here. 

 

I'm a life longer home builder/restorer that has lived through many highs and lows in the housing market.

 

I have never seen anything remotely like this market. It appears to be global. How can that be? 

Are you in the country somewhere pleasant? People think with work from home they no longer need to live in the city, and can move to their dream retirement location now. How this pans out in the medium term remains to be seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

Are you in the country somewhere pleasant? People think with work from home they no longer need to live in the city, and can move to their dream retirement location now. How this pans out in the medium term remains to be seen.

I'm also aware of this happening in my home town in the UK but my experience has slightly different origins. The is considered a desirable place to live and is also just inside the commuter belt for London. My sister and others who have grown up there and are wishing to remain/return and purchase a house are fighting against a flood of extra interest from those wealthy families escaping the cities. The only real option the locals have to try and gain an advantage over the wealthier families is being 'on the ground' and finding opportunities before they are public. One of my friends was actually successful after putting hundreds of these notes through letter boxes and was contacted by a family who's elderly mother was about to move into sheltered accommodation; they were days away from listing the house and appreciated the chance to sell to someone local...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NZK said:

...they were days away from listing the house and appreciated the chance to sell to someone local...

And the opportunity to eliminate the middleman (realtor) in a private sale. Realtors are just the land version of boat brokers - sometimes good; often wankers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Are you in the country somewhere pleasant? People think with work from home they no longer need to live in the city, and can move to their dream retirement location now. How this pans out in the medium term remains to be seen.

Work from home is the new common denominator for many of the sales I'm familiar with. Finance is not a factor in many of the sales as they're cash deals. Offer contingencies (finance) are absent in many cases. 

We are somewhere pleasant but realestate never sold so briskly. Most buyers were older and retired from work. Cost of housing was 2 to 3 times median family income(which is much lower than metro areas to the south). 

That changed in the short span of the pandemic, so far. Higher incomes are now more common here. 

Covid has shaken things up (beyond the health horrors) and it will be a few years before the change is understood around here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Work from home is the new common denominator for many of the sales I'm familiar with. Finance is not a factor in many of the sales as they're cash deals. Offer contingencies (finance) are absent in many cases. 

We are somewhere pleasant but realestate never sold so briskly. Most buyers were older and retired from work. Cost of housing was 2 to 3 times median family income(which is much lower than metro areas to the south). 

That changed in the short span of the pandemic, so far. Higher incomes are now more common here. 

Covid has shaken things up (beyond the health horrors) and it will be a few years before the change is understood around here.  

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out over the next couple of years Winters. I think there's a "cultural" aspect that people forget.  One gets used to living a certain way, with a certain lifestyle surrounded by certain kinds of people and that can be hard to change.  People are flooding into Florida in a similar manner to Maine. If they are coming to Florida with the mindset that they are escaping "Blue" state taxes, they might do OK, even if they wonder/complain why, strangely, the infrastructure and services are terrible. If they are coming from places where there is any kind of local society, they might not do well.  For example a guy moved to FL from a coolish part of Brooklyn. He missed all of the local shops and restaurants and plans to head back North. A young colleague of mine is here for work and desperately wants to move back to Boston because she is having trouble adapting to the culture.  If the SALT tax cap is removed and there are a couple of Hurricanes, I wonder how many will move back? 

Anyway, I am biased. I think Florida is one of the worst places I have lived, and I have lived in some bad places. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IStream said:

Yeah, plenty of Bay Area -> Austin transplants are hightailing it back to the blue. It turns out that even if you're in a blue city, the surround red state tends to bleed in.

The culture difference between Texas and most of the rest of the country has always been wide. I moved to Austin from Virginia for grad school (granted this was 40 years ago) and HATED it for the first 6 months. Then, by one year in, I loved it!  Just took getting used to the different mindset. This wasn't a red or blue thing, IMO, it was a Texas thing.  I'd bet if those Bay Area transplants gave it some more time, they might adjust too.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Elegua said:

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out over the next couple of years Winters. I think there's a "cultural" aspect that people forget.  One gets used to living a certain way, with a certain lifestyle surrounded by certain kinds of people and that can be hard to change.  People are flooding into Florida in a similar manner to Maine. If they are coming to Florida with the mindset that they are escaping "Blue" state taxes, they might do OK, even if they wonder/complain why, strangely, the infrastructure and services are terrible. If they are coming from places where there is any kind of local society, they might not do well.  For example a guy moved to FL from a coolish part of Brooklyn. He missed all of the local shops and restaurants and plans to head back North. A young colleague of mine is here for work and desperately wants to move back to Boston because she is having trouble adapting to the culture.  If the SALT tax cap is removed and there are a couple of Hurricanes, I wonder how many will move back? 

Anyway, I am biased. I think Florida is one of the worst places I have lived, and I have lived in some bad places. 

Me too. Remarking to an aquaintence from NYC about the exodus out, he hesitated but then smiled and said, "They'll be back".

No doubt he's right about some NYC expats, but this is not a small exodus as we always see. Plus there's a little worry about urban changes for residents going forward. 

Community isn't that easy to find even where you expect it. Brooklyn has lots - especially for the young, Brooklin Me. has some too, even lots if you find it, and it fits.

Many people moving to more rural areas think that 'out of town' is the place to be as properties are cheaper, and they think 'what's a few miles to drive?' Some find it very lonely a few miles from 'town', some fit right in. 

We get a large number of daily visitors from just outside of the village that come into town just to walk. Many are surprised to find the 'country' isn't always good for walking. 

I grew up in rural Vermont. Nothing surprises me about rural but many people won't fit. 

964870732_2ndAmmendment.thumb.jpg.d816d94704899c800c83833f74ec5a2d.jpg

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

China?

What do I win?

That particular house, I don’t know the owner background on.  Another build in the most expensive part of the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area that I worked on a while back, a $25 million construction new build with three —or, I think four?—power distribution panels and 9 lighting control panels was, yeah, big ostentatious Chinese money. It varies. 
 

(It’s unfortunate people have such unimaginative ways to spend their rooms full of cash - but, oh well.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That particular house, I don’t know the owner background on.  Another build in the most expensive part of the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area that I worked on a while back, a $25 million construction new build with three —or, I think four?—power distribution panels and 9 lighting control panels was, yeah, big ostentatious Chinese money. It varies.

Shit, I have 6 power distribution panels on my property. I don't think that's excessive at all.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fleetwood said:

My experience from living in several countries for many years: the first 3 months is a holiday, all new; after then for a while I resisted as everything was different and I had to cope; after about a  year I accepted the differences and enjoyed where I was. After a few years, time to move on,...

Same except even in retrospect I can't say I ever enjoyed living in Jakarta.

The people were fine but the climate, pollution and crowding absolutely sucked. Not to mention the poisonous water.

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Same except even in retrospect I can't say I ever enjoyed living in Jakarta.

Im not as well traveled as some, but I've wandered around most areas a bit. City I have spent the most time in outside Australia is Johannesburg.

But after all that, Jakarta is the biggest shithole by a large margin, and the only place that I'd prefer to never visit again.

Ok, maybe Canberra.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Se7en said:

Im not as well traveled as some, but I've wandered around most areas a bit. City I have spent the most time in outside Australia is Johannesburg.

But after all that, Jakarta is the biggest shithole by a large margin, and the only place that I'd prefer to never visit again.

Ok, maybe Canberra.

At least you can drink the water in Canberra without needing to mainline Lomotil or similar afterwards.

Any time I think of overpopulated, poor and corrupt, Jakarta comes to mind.

But - there's a few vids from Sailing Florence where they're sailing in the islands off of Sumatra that look spectacularly beautiful. Nos 87 onwards.

Still not going back there, though. Twice was enough (yeah slow learner).

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jakarta was great in the early 1980's. In Block M you could buy anything.  And then eat at the A&W root beer.  Dad was building a steel mill in Cilegon and my days were spent on the beach with a Hobbie 16 and a couple of French girls.  I wasted those summers.  Or maybe I was wasted 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

This is worth watching

 

Tattooed hairy man  buys a boat, woman leaves him and he sails to hawaii, rudder breaks

 

 

I could buy a nice genoa with the costs of those tats. 

He keeps his boat tidy and well maintained and did a good job managing the broken rudder. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Oh look, some Kiwi freedum fighters buddy boating with our favorite Texans...

 

Basically 2 WA Govt officers doing the job they're paid to do.

Nobody likes being questioned by the cops but - that's their job, to investigate complaints. Seems they were polite & professional - where's the story?

FKT

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Basically 2 WA Govt officers doing the job they're paid to do.

Nobody likes being questioned by the cops but - that's their job, to investigate complaints. Seems they were polite & professional - where's the story?

FKT

Exactly. bUt MaH FrEDuM! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Elegua said:

Exactly. bUt MaH FrEDuM! 

Cops can take your freedom away in a heart beat, too often based on their own mood and attitude.  Even if the legal system doesn't pursue the case, the hassle factor can be extremely high.  They have the power to ruin your day over petty "crimes" so caution is well advised.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dylan winter said:

This is worth watching

 

Tattooed hairy man  buys a boat, woman leaves him and he sails to hawaii, rudder breaks

 

 

He's for real.  It's hard for me to take ear gauges, but he's a seaman and did a beautiful job refitting his boat.  I didn't know the girl left him - she never had much to say - the dog was better company.  He's the kind of guy who, if there was no Youtube, he'd still be doing what he's doing, and you can't say fairer than that.

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Cops can take your freedom away in a heart beat, too often based on their own mood and attitude.  Even if the legal system doesn't pursue the case, the hassle factor can be extremely high.  They have the power to ruin your day over petty "crimes" so caution is well advised.

Yes. And? I thought were were supportive of protecting the environment and following the rules of the country of which we are a guest?  What happened? This is the same whine and behavior as the beloved Texans, just with a Kiwi accent. 

Anyway, if you going to skirt the rules, probably best not to call attention to yourself and post potentially incriminating evidence on Youtube. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dylan winter said:

This is worth watching

 

Tattooed hairy man  buys a boat, woman leaves him and he sails to hawaii, rudder breaks

 

 

He just need Sam Holmes to show him what to do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elegua said:

Yes. And? I thought were were supportive of protecting the environment and following the rules of the country of which we are a guest?  What happened? This is the same whine and behavior as the beloved Texans, just with a Kiwi accent. 

Anyway, if you going to skirt the rules, probably best not to call attention to yourself and post potentially incriminating evidence on Youtube. 

It's possible to deplore both the me-me-me attitude of Zangara and their Kiwi sidekicks, and also deplore the officious speech of the cops.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

It's possible to deplore both the me-me-me attitude of Zangara and their Kiwi sidekicks, and also deplore the officious speech of the cops.

That was polite and transparent treatment. Cop the attitude those Kiwis had in any of the countries surrounding other than Australia and see how far you get.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elegua said:

That was polite and transparent treatment.

Oh it's polite in that no rude words were used.  But the whole threatening attitude is far from polite; menace with a veneer.

I deplore that sort of faux-politeness.  It would have been much better to be up-front and say that an offence appears to have been committed, so you are required to come to the cop shop and make a statement under caution.  Heck, even arresting them and dragging them to the cop shop would have been better than that manipulative exercise in gloved menace.

And yes, I am well aware that some other countries have much nastier cops.  One of those countries is so ridden with bullying (and often violent) cops that they are hardly ever out of the news.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elegua said:

That was polite and transparent treatment. Cop the attitude those Kiwis had in any of the countries surrounding other than Australia and see how far you get.  

Agree. Those 2 officers were very polite and professional. They gave full warning of the potential consequences of answering their questions and emphasised that none of the questions needed to be answered.

Bottom line - foreign cruisers are guests. If they want to cop an attitude, they can find out just how many rules exist that can be applied to them at the discretion of the Fisheries and Police officers.

I thought the cruising kiwis were basically ok. What I saw in that video wasn't pleasant and I don't mean the cops. They knew full well who touched the shark and who used the radio. It would have been more honest to say that they declined to answer.

And before someone goes there, yes some of those rules are poorly thought through. I've had emperor penguins violate the rule WRT close association with humans many times. You sit on an ice floe minding your own business and the next thing you know, a bunch of penguins have hopped on board and are hanging about in your personal space. Nobody told THEM that they were in violation of a human rule.

But the problem is, if you start pushing the boundaries, you find that the boundaries get shifted and the rules become more rigid. That nearly always is NOT to cruisers' benefit.

So everyone aboard Zatara on that trip basically was either a dickhead or complicit. No sympathy for them at all.

FKT

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elegua said:

Cop the attitude those Kiwis had in any of the countries surrounding other than Australia and see how far you get. 

That's my point.  I don't know about other countries but in the good old USA, cops routinely cuff and haul away people just for failing the "attitude test", even the mentally ill.   At their personal discretion, beatings or shoot-to-kill may be used (especially on black folks), usually with impunity if the copy says they felt threatened.

I've seen too many "bad apples" to believe there is not something flawed and dangerous about cop culture, though agree that these two in the video were generally polite.  Not all cops are bad but any encounter is an asymmetric power test with potentially severe consequences for the civilian.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

That's my point.  I don't know about other countries but in the good old USA, cops routinely cuff and haul away people just for failing the "attitude test", even the mentally ill.   At their personal discretion, beatings or shoot-to-kill may be used (especially on black folks), usually with impunity if the copy says they felt threatened.

I've seen too many "bad apples" to believe there is not something flawed and dangerous about cop culture, though agree that these two in the video were generally polite.  Not all cops are bad but any encounter is an asymmetric power test with potentially severe consequences for the civilian.

Just wait until they get to Indo :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Funnily, the words 'arbitrary capricious and corrupt' come to mind when I think of Indonesian police. And Navy.

FKT

No idea why. :)  They certainly wouldn't be able to get away with covering for their "buddies". 

Anyway, a clear violation of the "clean-wake" principle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elegua said:

No idea why. :)  They certainly wouldn't be able to get away with covering for their "buddies". 

Anyway, a clear violation of the "clean-wake" principle. 

Have you read the comments on that vid? It's depressing just how many are sucking up and blaming the Aussie officials for daring to follow up a complaint in a polite and professional manner.

Fuck, it would be really easy to make an unambiguous regulation on the lines of:

Under no circumstances, ever, is a private vessel not licensed as an accredited whale/shark watching vessel, to approach closer than 200m to a whale/shark. If the whale/shark encroaches on this separation, the vessel must immediately manoeuver so as to maintain this 200m minimum separation.

Under no circumstances, ever, is a private vessel not licensed as an accredited whale/shark watching vessel, to place or allow placed swimmers in the water closer than 200m from a whale/shark. If the whale/shark encroaches on this separation, the swimmers must immediately exit the water.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Have you read the comments on that vid? It's depressing just how many are sucking up and blaming the Aussie officials for daring to follow up a complaint in a polite and professional manner.

Fuck, it would be really easy to make an unambiguous regulation on the lines of:

Under no circumstances, ever, is a private vessel not licensed as an accredited whale/shark watching vessel, to approach closer than 200m to a whale/shark. If the whale/shark encroaches on this separation, the vessel must immediately manoeuver so as to maintain this 200m minimum separation.

Under no circumstances, ever, is a private vessel not licensed as an accredited whale/shark watching vessel, to place or allow placed swimmers in the water closer than 200m from a whale/shark. If the whale/shark encroaches on this separation, the swimmers must immediately exit the water.

FKT

I only had to read one. It's the same crowd as the Zatara folks....the Freedum contingent. :( 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

It's possible to deplore both the me-me-me attitude of Zangara and their Kiwi sidekicks, and also deplore the officious speech of the cops.

Clearly have never interacted with US cops or coastguard…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites