Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Very wise.  8 bottles of rum per day is the safe limit.

As the owner of a distillery, I have to disagree with that.  As would Capt'n Jack Sparrow...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sculpin said:
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Very wise.  8 bottles of rum per day is the safe limit.

As the owner of a distillery, I have to disagree with that.  As would Capt'n Jack Sparrow...

It is great to see the industry committing itself to the promotion of safe drinking.

Personally, i went through a phase where I thought that two bottles of vodka at a party was safe.  Then my friends had to rescue my drinking pal who was unaware that he had bitten the top off his vodka bottle.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

It is great to see the industry committing itself to the promotion of safe drinking.

Personally, i went through a phase where I thought that two bottles of vodka at a party was safe.  Then my friends had to rescue my drinking pal who was unaware that he had bitten the top off his vodka bottle.

You need more friends, then 8 bottles of rum is easy...

11 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Well you will all be happy to know that the Wild We Roamers have quickly moved onto their next adventure: homesteading in Hawaii. I DARE you to read the description they posted under this YT video without puking.

for the love of god, please,please no one EVER post these people again....please...I beg of you.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, longy said:

I will bet hard money that they don't last more than two years in Hawaii.

Shurely you mean that within two years they will reach a deep point of self-realisation where a major learning experience helps them to spiritually grow as people and see that the infinite cosmic future now requires them rebalance their wild spirits in a new plane?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, longy said:

I will bet hard money that they don't last more than two years in Hawaii.

I dont think they last anywhere longer than two years.  lol

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

I dont think they last anywhere longer than two years.  lol

Thank fuck they can't get into Australia.

Maybe Ireland would be a good fit for them though.

FKT

12 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

This pair are making me begin to agree with Rob

Pol Pot would have given them an opportunity to rediscover the dignity of manual labour and the superfluousness of food.  And best of all ... he would have taken away their camera

The inimitable Dead Kennedys seem to written this song for people like them:

9 hours ago, toddster said:

Many of the young and affluent "adventure" types seem to be going in for these stackable cans in the 10L size.  They come in various colors and sizes and have clever mounting hardware and are hideously expensive.  They also appear to waste a lot of space.  A stack of these things seems to be more can than contents.

IMG_1144_heic-XL.jpg

That fucker can't even get down his mates drive without crashing into his wall. No way he'll get around the world. What a twat.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Shurely you mean that within two years they will reach a deep point of self-realisation where a major learning experience helps them to spiritually grow as people and see that the infinite cosmic future now requires them rebalance their wild spirits in a new plane?

Watch this, the next video will have that happen when she uncovers a spider, or a thunderstorm happens... Or if the past is anything to go by, it gets a bit windier than it has before...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Thank fuck they can't get into Australia.

Maybe Ireland would be a good fit for them though.

FKT

Well now, you can fuck right off with that, thank you very much

B)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Well now, you can fuck right off with that, thank you very much

B)

I just figured that with their lack of self reflection, high levels of self-righteousness and inability to admit that they made any mistakes ever, they'd be perfect neighbours for Two Legged.

FKT

• Like 2
On 9/15/2021 at 1:09 PM, 2airishuman said:

There's a mindset of dealing with adversity without giving up.  It isn't sailing specific.  Though a dinghy teaches these lessons well they can also be learned mountain climbing, backcountry camping, in the desert, aviation, scuba diving, etc.  The real, physical world isn't some bondage game where you can safeword out without consequences if it gets too scary (though people try with PLBs, EPIRBs, etc.)

There's no game without risk that is worth playing.....

2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I just figured that with their lack of self reflection, high levels of self-righteousness and inability to admit that they made any mistakes ever, they'd be perfect neighbours for Two Legged.

Indeed, they would be be perfect as reminders for me of FKT's antics.  But at least they would come without the macho swagger and the boasting of guns and other means to threaten a prospective son-in-law, and without FKT's sustained personal attacks in pursuit of his genocide denial.

So I'd find them a pain-in-the-arse, but a much less severe and dangerous pain than FKT.

20 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Indeed, they would be be perfect as reminders for me of FKT's antics.  But at least they would come without the macho swagger and the boasting of guns and other means to threaten a prospective son-in-law, and without FKT's sustained personal attacks in pursuit of his genocide denial.

So I'd find them a pain-in-the-arse, but a much less severe and dangerous pain than FKT.

Pweeeeeet!  Time out!

Everyone back to their corners until ready to play nice!

(seriously, let's nip this one in the bud, shall we?)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Zonker said:

My wife took a picture of me on stage, in her bikini and promptly mailed it off to my old workplace.

When I went back to Vancouver one year later for a visit and to do some work there as a contractor, there was my picture, on the bulletin board in the kitchen. FIRST thing one of my co-workers said upon my return was "Hey you look good in a bikini"

Zingaro James is getting into your old groove. He is a strange cat.

43D9562A-16E7-4114-A57E-0C36FDDE585D.jpeg

On 9/13/2021 at 3:03 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Also how nice it is not to have to row ashore to go for a walk.

And showers. And doing the laundry.

What she meant was the stress. Long term cruising can be kind of stressful, especially if you get off the beaten path, and even then when a squall rolls through and you're not sure about the boat upwind of you. Stuff like that does get old.

Taking the dinghy everywhere wasn't an issue (usually).

We had hot showers on the boat (solar outside or gas on demand heater inside) and a watermaker.

The hand laundry WAS a headache. We had an industrial hand car wash hand wringer that clamped inside the cockpit. Super heavy duty. You could run a sodden towel through it. Really helped to reduce the workload. Had no trouble selling it to other cruisers when we sold the boat. Highly recommended. Bronze bearings, cast aluminum housing, galvanized handle. Was designed to get wet.

https://wisementrading.com/laundry-supply/wringer/hand-wringer-heavy-duty-bl44/

• Like 1
10 hours ago, European Bloke said:

That fucker can't even get down his mates drive without crashing into his wall. No way he'll get around the world. What a twat.

Yeah, sorry.  Couldn't immediately find a good photo showing an array of the stackable cans installed on anything.  Though they are all over the waterfront parking area. (Or were until last week, when the seasonal migration happened in which all the endless-summer people fuck off to Baja.)

There is a thing in the US and on Instagram among the low-IQ but high-income people who own "off-road" vehicles.   They live in suburbs and have never and will never drive those vehicles "off-road."  So they have developed this thing called "revenge parking."  I don't even want to peek into the swamp of reasoning to figure out who or what this is supposed to be "revenge" against.  

3 hours ago, toddster said:

Yeah, sorry.  Couldn't immediately find a good photo showing an array of the stackable cans installed on anything.  Though they are all over the waterfront parking area. (Or were until last week, when the seasonal migration happened in which all the endless-summer people fuck off to Baja.)

There is a thing in the US and on Instagram among the low-IQ but high-income people who own "off-road" vehicles.   They live in suburbs and have never and will never drive those vehicles "off-road."  So they have developed this thing called "revenge parking."  I don't even want to peek into the swamp of reasoning to figure out who or what this is supposed to be "revenge" against.  

Small shitty cars.   They like to park right next to a tiny fuel efficient car so that the doors dont open to get back in.  They also like to park in Tesla charging spots and take up the space so battery cars cant charge.  So, basically its against anything that tries to be more green.

10 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

Pweeeeeet!  Time out!

Everyone back to their corners until ready to play nice!

(seriously, let's nip this one in the bud, shall we?)

No probs. My point has been made far better than I could have imagined.

FKT

41 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

No probs. My point has been made far better than I could have imagined.

Indeed it has.  Your wee bout of pointless trolling has again illustrated the sort of person you are: a wannabe bully.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Small shitty cars.   They like to park right next to a tiny fuel efficient car so that the doors dont open to get back in.  They also like to park in Tesla charging spots and take up the space so battery cars cant charge.  So, basically its against anything that tries to be more green.

What kind of complete twat does something like that?  I mean, what kind of upbringing causes that kind of behavior? 

The other question I have, living in the South where we have young guys driving new $60,000 aggro-looking pickups, is where do these kids get the money to own these trucks?  I commute 30 miles every morning, and I dread this time of year, because a high percentage of these trucks will leave their bright headlights on full-time. Wankers!

51 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

What kind of complete twat does something like that?  I mean, what kind of upbringing causes that kind of behavior? 

The other question I have, living in the South where we have young guys driving new $60,000 aggro-looking pickups, is where do these kids get the money to own these trucks?  I commute 30 miles every morning, and I dread this time of year, because a high percentage of these trucks will leave their bright headlights on full-time. Wankers!

A few young friends of my daughter are going through bankruptcy now or thinking about it, and in each case they have a dodge ram or f150. Easy credit. One kid has a pickup and 10-15k worth of tools; got out of trade school to be a diesel mechanic, bought all the gear on credit, and thought he was golden. Then had trouble finding work as a diesel truck mechanic last year.  Meanwhile closer to the ocean every marina had openings for marine diesel mechanics but he didn’t want to move. Some of these young people have grown up seeing people buying new cars and wouldn’t imagine buying used.

58 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Rank and file of the UAW?

9 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

A few young friends of my daughter are going through bankruptcy now or thinking about it, and in each case they have a dodge ram or f150. Easy credit. One kid has a pickup and 10-15k worth of tools; got out of trade school to be a diesel mechanic, bought all the gear on credit, and thought he was golden. Then had trouble finding work as a diesel truck mechanic last year.  Meanwhile closer to the ocean every marina had openings for marine diesel mechanics but he didn’t want to move. Some of these young people have grown up seeing people buying new cars and wouldn’t imagine buying used.

A lot of the companies up here are also advertising low weekly lease payments. Sounds like a good deal until you realize you are locked in to some of these deals for 8 years and if you lose your job you are screwed.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

A lot of the companies up here are also advertising low weekly lease payments. Sounds like a good deal until you realize you are locked in to some of these deals for 8 years and if you lose your job you are screwed.

It’s called being “truck poor”. Used to be house poor.

• Like 1

And now for something completely different: French Canadians who are "sailing atypic."

Goofy transcends culture, but I like them. Barely avoiding disaster with just a hint of awareness.

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Same sort of arsehole attitude that parks an expensive sports car right on the white line so as to take up 2 parking spaces, because they don't want to risk someone bumping their precious with a door or something.

There was one in Hobart notorious for it. Getting booked didn't seem to matter. One day at Salamanca Place I parked my beat up old 4WD utility with dents all over it approx 20mm off of his driver's door, in the parking space he was straddling. I almost fit in it.

I didn't get booked and I couldn't notice any new dents.

FKT

4 hours ago, savoir said:

Of course.  Any idiot with a pulse can get an auto loan these days.  Sub prime is still alive and well.

It’s worse than that. You can roll your negative equity into a new car loan when you trade in your car with the 8 year loan at the 5 year mark, pushing you further upside-down. You are even farther upside down if they give you one of those no down payment loans. They even do it for used cars so you have people owing $40-50k on a used car that was never worth more than $15.

They use some innocuous sounding term like roll-over. 

Usery, pure and simple. 

2 hours ago, Elegua said:

Usery, pure and simple. 

I guess the cynical calculation by the lenders is that with the fed base rate stuck at 0.25%, the margins on these loans are high enough offset the high rate of default.  So long as the courts allow them to screw the defaulters, the usurers are still making money.

Similar bankster scumbags were doing similar scams in the Celtic Tiger era in Ireland.  110% mortgages on bubble-inflated house prices, huge car loans to school-leavers, etc.  When it all went crash from 2008 onwards, there were a lot of suicides :( 

8 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I guess the cynical calculation by the lenders is that with the fed base rate stuck at 0.25%, the margins on these loans are high enough offset the high rate of default.  So long as the courts allow them to screw the defaulters, the usurers are still making money.

Similar bankster scumbags were doing similar scams in the Celtic Tiger era in Ireland.  110% mortgages on bubble-inflated house prices, huge car loans to school-leavers, etc.  When it all went crash from 2008 onwards, there were a lot of suicides :( 

There are still hundreds of half built houses scattered around Ireland that were started in 2008/9.  Twelve years on and they still can't be sold.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, savoir said:

There are still hundreds of half built houses scattered around Ireland that were started in 2008/9.  Twelve years on and they still can't be sold.

Because nobody wants to live in Ballygobackwards.

It really is a very small [sailing] world…. I had the pleasure of meeting Sophie [a true sea-salt-tough-cookie-skipper] at the RORC SW1 back in 2017 and then sailed a few months later with her around the Solent aboard a very nice to helm Elan37. Happy days… good to see too she’s firmly back on her feet schlepping about on K&Ms new build for Novak…. Another looksee of said boat here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGT7RjWmIzQ

2 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

Because nobody wants to live in Ballygobackwards.

No, the too-many-houses-in-remote-places problem was true ten years ago, but demand has caught up with the oversupply.

It's because the residue are badly-built crap which in many cases have rotted through being left open to the elements since the building abruptly stopped.

1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

No, the too-many-houses-in-remote-places problem was true ten years ago, but demand has caught up with the oversupply.

It's because the residue are badly-built crap which in many cases have rotted through being left open to the elements since the building abruptly stopped.

We just received an unsolicited letter in the mail from a hopeful buyer of our house. She went into detail about the house history, the neighborhood and why she and her husband would like to raise their family here. 

I'm a life longer home builder/restorer that has lived through many highs and lows in the housing market.

I have never seen anything remotely like this market. It appears to be global. How can that be? 

25 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I have never seen anything remotely like this market. It appears to be global. How can that be? 

Because for the second time in the last 13 years, govts/central banks have a) printed money on a massive scale, and b) given most of that money to small numbers of people who already have money rather than to those struggling to get by.

Dunno.  Twenty years ago, I was getting almost weekly inquiries.  Although the numbers weren't so insane back then.  Haven't got one lately, except a couple of realtors sniffing around.  

Logically, if not emotionally, this is probably the right time to bail.  The idea of moving aboard during the winter is a little daunting though.  

2 hours ago, toddster said:

Dunno.  Twenty years ago, I was getting almost weekly inquiries.  Although the numbers weren't so insane back then.  Haven't got one lately, except a couple of realtors sniffing around.  

Logically, if not emotionally, this is probably the right time to bail.  The idea of moving aboard during the winter is a little daunting though.  

Yeah but selling now is like moving to Florida: It's a one way trip for most. :) 

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

These high-latitude videos make my hands and feet cold just looking at them.

I wanna go where it's warm!

LOL she’s gonna need more bathing suit if she comes to Maine!

I am visiting my parents in FL (they are 80 and divorced and have divided the state between them) and after a few days of this I feel like if I could get on a slow boat to Svalbard I would do so in a heartbeat.

7 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Oh I dunno,

Been down Leitrim/ Roscommon way lately?

lol

Even sad little shacks out in the woods around here are selling for outrageous prices if they have a good view.  The price is just for the property.  What is killing a lot of deals is lack of a good water well and/or enough soil for a good septic system.  Can't finance those properties and the owners have no resources to rectify the situation.  They're just kind of trapped.  

9 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Demand has caught up ?  Not even almost.  Here's one.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-reennanallagane-glenbeigh-co-kerry/3464178

I don't think this has been posted yet and I can't help but describe it as a mashup of "Girl with Patreon Account Doesn't Go Anywhere on a Mud Flat" and "Mocking Ads on Craigslist: What happened after we bought an 85% complete restoration project" These guys have a channel but this video is actually made by David Johns, the Cruising the Cut narrow boat guy. Johns  is a retired TV professional so his videos are really good and he gets the most views of YT the narrow boat channels, of which there are several. He's very kind to the owners of this boat in this mini documentary but he's not a conventional boat guy so maybe doesn't feel the scale of the challenge in his bones. This is more like Leo Goolden moving aboard Tally Ho on a mudflat, with three children, and then restoring it. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I don't think this has been posted yet and I can't help but describe it as a mashup of "Girl with Patreon Account Doesn't Go Anywhere on a Mud Flat" and "Mocking Ads on Craigslist: What happened after we bought an 85% complete restoration project" These guys have a channel but this video is actually made by David Johns, the Cruising the Cut narrow boat guy. Johns  is a retired TV professional so his videos are really good and he gets the most views of YT the narrow boat channels, of which there are several. He's very kind to the owners of this boat in this mini documentary but he's not a conventional boat guy so maybe doesn't feel the scale of the challenge in his bones. This is more like Leo Goolden moving aboard Tally Ho on a mudflat, with three children, and then restoring it. 

Yeah I watched that one when it came out - I'm a 'Cruising the Cut' junkie.

After seeing the shots of the interior of that BSO, my instant reaction was - good luck with that.

Personally I'd strip off all the bronze & metal I could, pull the engines etc and have a lovely bonfire.

IIRC there's an old Navy minesweeper near my place that's waiting on a can of fuel & a match. Been through at least 3 sets of starry eyed dreamers so far.

FKT

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

We just received an unsolicited letter in the mail from a hopeful buyer of our house. She went into detail about the house history, the neighborhood and why she and her husband would like to raise their family here. 

I'm a life longer home builder/restorer that has lived through many highs and lows in the housing market.

Currently doing an electrical project in a new build (house) in Vancouver - owners gutted an absolutely massive corner lot house, dug 25 ft under ground, and have had installed a basement and sub-basement.  Quarter mil in construction costs so far just for basements (all poured slab).  It’ll be many times that cost for the entire house when all is said and done.  Only one example with which I’m familiar through firsthand experience.  Where is the money coming from....

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Currently doing an electrical project in a new build (house) in Vancouver - owners gutted an absolutely massive corner lot house, dug 25 ft under ground, and have had installed a basement and sub-basement.  Quarter mil in construction costs so far just for basements (all poured slab).  It’ll be many times that cost for the entire house when all is said and done.  Only one example with which I’m familiar through firsthand experience.  Where is the money coming from....

China?

What do I win?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Are you in the country somewhere pleasant? People think with work from home they no longer need to live in the city, and can move to their dream retirement location now. How this pans out in the medium term remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

Are you in the country somewhere pleasant? People think with work from home they no longer need to live in the city, and can move to their dream retirement location now. How this pans out in the medium term remains to be seen.

I'm also aware of this happening in my home town in the UK but my experience has slightly different origins. The is considered a desirable place to live and is also just inside the commuter belt for London. My sister and others who have grown up there and are wishing to remain/return and purchase a house are fighting against a flood of extra interest from those wealthy families escaping the cities. The only real option the locals have to try and gain an advantage over the wealthier families is being 'on the ground' and finding opportunities before they are public. One of my friends was actually successful after putting hundreds of these notes through letter boxes and was contacted by a family who's elderly mother was about to move into sheltered accommodation; they were days away from listing the house and appreciated the chance to sell to someone local...

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, NZK said:

...they were days away from listing the house and appreciated the chance to sell to someone local...

And the opportunity to eliminate the middleman (realtor) in a private sale. Realtors are just the land version of boat brokers - sometimes good; often wankers.

2 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Work from home is the new common denominator for many of the sales I'm familiar with. Finance is not a factor in many of the sales as they're cash deals. Offer contingencies (finance) are absent in many cases. 

We are somewhere pleasant but realestate never sold so briskly. Most buyers were older and retired from work. Cost of housing was 2 to 3 times median family income(which is much lower than metro areas to the south). 

That changed in the short span of the pandemic, so far. Higher incomes are now more common here. 

Covid has shaken things up (beyond the health horrors) and it will be a few years before the change is understood around here.  

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Work from home is the new common denominator for many of the sales I'm familiar with. Finance is not a factor in many of the sales as they're cash deals. Offer contingencies (finance) are absent in many cases. 

We are somewhere pleasant but realestate never sold so briskly. Most buyers were older and retired from work. Cost of housing was 2 to 3 times median family income(which is much lower than metro areas to the south). 

That changed in the short span of the pandemic, so far. Higher incomes are now more common here. 

Covid has shaken things up (beyond the health horrors) and it will be a few years before the change is understood around here.  

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out over the next couple of years Winters. I think there's a "cultural" aspect that people forget.  One gets used to living a certain way, with a certain lifestyle surrounded by certain kinds of people and that can be hard to change.  People are flooding into Florida in a similar manner to Maine. If they are coming to Florida with the mindset that they are escaping "Blue" state taxes, they might do OK, even if they wonder/complain why, strangely, the infrastructure and services are terrible. If they are coming from places where there is any kind of local society, they might not do well.  For example a guy moved to FL from a coolish part of Brooklyn. He missed all of the local shops and restaurants and plans to head back North. A young colleague of mine is here for work and desperately wants to move back to Boston because she is having trouble adapting to the culture.  If the SALT tax cap is removed and there are a couple of Hurricanes, I wonder how many will move back? 

Anyway, I am biased. I think Florida is one of the worst places I have lived, and I have lived in some bad places. 

• Like 3

Yeah, plenty of Bay Area -> Austin transplants are hightailing it back to the blue. It turns out that even if you're in a blue city, the surround red state tends to bleed in.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, IStream said:

Yeah, plenty of Bay Area -> Austin transplants are hightailing it back to the blue. It turns out that even if you're in a blue city, the surround red state tends to bleed in.

The culture difference between Texas and most of the rest of the country has always been wide. I moved to Austin from Virginia for grad school (granted this was 40 years ago) and HATED it for the first 6 months. Then, by one year in, I loved it!  Just took getting used to the different mindset. This wasn't a red or blue thing, IMO, it was a Texas thing.  I'd bet if those Bay Area transplants gave it some more time, they might adjust too.  

4 hours ago, Elegua said:

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out over the next couple of years Winters. I think there's a "cultural" aspect that people forget.  One gets used to living a certain way, with a certain lifestyle surrounded by certain kinds of people and that can be hard to change.  People are flooding into Florida in a similar manner to Maine. If they are coming to Florida with the mindset that they are escaping "Blue" state taxes, they might do OK, even if they wonder/complain why, strangely, the infrastructure and services are terrible. If they are coming from places where there is any kind of local society, they might not do well.  For example a guy moved to FL from a coolish part of Brooklyn. He missed all of the local shops and restaurants and plans to head back North. A young colleague of mine is here for work and desperately wants to move back to Boston because she is having trouble adapting to the culture.  If the SALT tax cap is removed and there are a couple of Hurricanes, I wonder how many will move back? 

Anyway, I am biased. I think Florida is one of the worst places I have lived, and I have lived in some bad places. 

Me too. Remarking to an aquaintence from NYC about the exodus out, he hesitated but then smiled and said, "They'll be back".

No doubt he's right about some NYC expats, but this is not a small exodus as we always see. Plus there's a little worry about urban changes for residents going forward. 

Community isn't that easy to find even where you expect it. Brooklyn has lots - especially for the young, Brooklin Me. has some too, even lots if you find it, and it fits.

Many people moving to more rural areas think that 'out of town' is the place to be as properties are cheaper, and they think 'what's a few miles to drive?' Some find it very lonely a few miles from 'town', some fit right in. 

We get a large number of daily visitors from just outside of the village that come into town just to walk. Many are surprised to find the 'country' isn't always good for walking. 

I grew up in rural Vermont. Nothing surprises me about rural but many people won't fit. 

964870732_2ndAmmendment.thumb.jpg.d816d94704899c800c83833f74ec5a2d.jpg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

China?

What do I win?

That particular house, I don’t know the owner background on.  Another build in the most expensive part of the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area that I worked on a while back, a $25 million construction new build with three —or, I think four?—power distribution panels and 9 lighting control panels was, yeah, big ostentatious Chinese money. It varies. 

(It’s unfortunate people have such unimaginative ways to spend their rooms full of cash - but, oh well.)

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That particular house, I don’t know the owner background on.  Another build in the most expensive part of the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area that I worked on a while back, a $25 million construction new build with three —or, I think four?—power distribution panels and 9 lighting control panels was, yeah, big ostentatious Chinese money. It varies.

Shit, I have 6 power distribution panels on my property. I don't think that's excessive at all.

FKT

33 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Shit, I have 6 power distribution panels on my property. I don't think that's excessive at all.

FKT

I only have three. I feel so deprived.

Maybe depraved would be more accurate.

My experience from living in several countries for many years: the first 3 months is a holiday, all new; after then for a while I resisted as everything was different and I had to cope; after about a  year I accepted the differences and enjoyed where I was. After a few years, time to move on,...

1 hour ago, Fleetwood said:

My experience from living in several countries for many years: the first 3 months is a holiday, all new; after then for a while I resisted as everything was different and I had to cope; after about a  year I accepted the differences and enjoyed where I was. After a few years, time to move on,...

Same except even in retrospect I can't say I ever enjoyed living in Jakarta.

The people were fine but the climate, pollution and crowding absolutely sucked. Not to mention the poisonous water.

FKT

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Same except even in retrospect I can't say I ever enjoyed living in Jakarta.

Im not as well traveled as some, but I've wandered around most areas a bit. City I have spent the most time in outside Australia is Johannesburg.

But after all that, Jakarta is the biggest shithole by a large margin, and the only place that I'd prefer to never visit again.

Ok, maybe Canberra.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Se7en said:

Im not as well traveled as some, but I've wandered around most areas a bit. City I have spent the most time in outside Australia is Johannesburg.

But after all that, Jakarta is the biggest shithole by a large margin, and the only place that I'd prefer to never visit again.

Ok, maybe Canberra.

At least you can drink the water in Canberra without needing to mainline Lomotil or similar afterwards.

Any time I think of overpopulated, poor and corrupt, Jakarta comes to mind.

But - there's a few vids from Sailing Florence where they're sailing in the islands off of Sumatra that look spectacularly beautiful. Nos 87 onwards.

Still not going back there, though. Twice was enough (yeah slow learner).

FKT

Never been to Jakarta, don't plan to.

Cook took all his men around the world, got shipwrecked, repaired it and sailed on. Meanwhile none died from scurvy. Then he hit Batavia and a third of them died from malaria and dysentry..... I get the picture.

Even the Indonesians seem fed up with the place, they're planning on moving the capital to Kalimantan. That should give one a hint!

Jakarta was great in the early 1980's. In Block M you could buy anything.  And then eat at the A&W root beer.  Dad was building a steel mill in Cilegon and my days were spent on the beach with a Hobbie 16 and a couple of French girls.  I wasted those summers.  Or maybe I was wasted 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

And now for something completely different

I hope those boys are spliffed out.  'Cos if they are that spacey without drugs, they will be in a whole load of trouble.

• Like 2