Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

12 hours ago, low bum said:

Huge Roger Barnes fan.  To quote Jack Aubrey, "I am of his mind entirely."  I don't think he's testy, or maybe I didn't watch those episodes?  

You're right, he's testy on his Facebook page. Especially about brexit and other comparisons of UK vs France. Also other peeves but his thoughts are interesting and controversial and a good comparison between the countries.

You made me remember his tone is more even on his videos, probably because he edits them. I'm glad there are at least a couple fans here. He's like Dylan, great stuff but not the mainstream Youtube stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Elegua said:

I haven’t observed the testy bit, but he seems to have his opinions.  I probably like the idea of camping on my boat tied ashore the way he does more than the reality of it.  Good thing there are fewer mosquitoes in France. I like his little box kitchen. 

Yeah, I could never go back to small boat camping, because I've done my share and seen the other side. 

LthFyot6dgv7Yo5Z0qNXME=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Yeah, I could never go back to small boat camping, because I've done my share and seen the other side. 

LthFyot6dgv7Yo5Z0qNXME=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Call me soft, but I like having a dry cabin, real china and an oven. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Elegua said:

Call me soft, but I like having a dry cabin, real china and an oven. 

One of my really hard-core friends, cycle toured all over Mongolia, parts of Russia and Siberia, big chunks of Europe and most of Australia - recently bought a camper van.

FKT

On 9/25/2021 at 5:39 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

She's probably never left Ireland, for fear of having her sensibilities offended.

I had a few interactions with US cops and Border Patrol. Never any dramas because I was always polite and didn't cop any attitude. Even got out of a speeding ticket when they saw my Aussie licence. It was too hard to bother with apparently.

FKT

You were polite, didn't cop any attitude, were white, were lucky, had short hair, and they had already met their officially nonexistent monthly quota for speeding tickets.

• Like 5

No question there are problematic cops everywhere. But I've now lived in the US for 39 years and have yet to have a bad interaction, and I've copped more than my fair share of traffic stops, mostly for speeding (about 50/50 got ticket versus warning). Most interactions are, however, at my request, for local police to deal with thefts from house, garage, and car, barking dogs, local accidents, and idiot neighbors. Yes, my attitude is always good, I'm white, my hair is short, and I don't have any tattoos. 

8 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Yes, my attitude is always good, I'm white, my hair is short, and I don't have any tattoos. 

Most cops in most places are mostly reasonable with people from the more privileged groups who call them for protection.

The test of cop decency is how they treat people who don't fit in those groups, or who are under suspicion, or are displaying the hostility which derives from a history of persecution.  And there is massive evidence that many American cops behave appallingly towards those people who don't fit.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

or are displaying the hostility which derives from a history of persecution. 

But being part of a social group requires a baseline of civility from everyone. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against police hostility and bias. OTOH we can't be letting a class (any class) of people off of the basic rules for civil behavior - to the police or to other civilians. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

But being part of a social group requires a baseline of civility from everyone. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against police hostility and bias. OTOH we can't be letting a class (any class) of people off of the basic rules for civil behavior - to the police or to other civilians. 

Depends how you define civil behaviour.  When some armed f*cker is harassing and/or threating you and/or humiliating you for the umpteenth time, their incivility deserves a suitably contemptuous response.  Whether that contemptuous response is a wise choice is another, but oppressive cops have no right to respect.

American policing of out-groups is structurally oppressive, by design.  The incivility of that oppression is the core problem, and criticising the response to that is victim-blaming.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

criticising the response to that is victim-blaming

Depends on what "the response" is.

Let's get back on-topic, shall we? It's getting harder and harder to find something unique in the YT Sailing Vlog world, so enjoy:

42 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

American policing of out-groups is structurally oppressive, by design.  The incivility of that oppression is the core problem, and criticising the response to that is victim-blaming.

This is where I say she hates Americans, she says no I actually don’t, I say something ironic, she doesn’t get it and says Americans are fat dumb heavily armed and can’t pronounce Kinsale. Her submit-to-my-authority approach is oppressive.

• Like 6
  • Downvote 2
1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Depends on what "the response" is.

Let's get back on-topic, shall we? It's getting harder and harder to find something unique in the YT Sailing Vlog world, so enjoy:

That is a great find. Different for sure. Likable people.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

This is where I say she hates Americans, she says no I actually don’t, I say something ironic, she doesn’t get it and says Americans are fat dumb heavily armed and can’t pronounce Kinsale. Her submit-to-my-authority approach is oppressive.

It's bemusing and sad to watch this determination to misrepresent what I write.

The systematic, structural oppressiveness of American policing has been documented for decades by American scholars.  To pick just one of the more recent scholars, go read Alex Vitale's work.

Responding to such criticism with bogus allegations that I "hate Americans" is part of the same propaganda technique that tries to silence criticism by labelling it as "Anti-American", which itself is a mirror-image of the Soviet Union's tactic of silencing critics by labelling them as "Anti-Soviet".

If you want to find the people who really truly deeply hate Americans, look at the people like loneshark64 who lash out at critics of America's oppressive system of policing and criminal justice which makes the USA the most-imprisoned society of earth.  You gotta hate your fellow Americans citizens real bad to lash out at people who criticise that oppression.

And before you respond with the claim that China may imprison more people ... just take a moment to reflect on the fact  if that was true, it would make the USA second only to a country which they denounce as a brutal dictatorship.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

The systematic, structural oppressiveness of American policing has been documented for decades by American scholars.  To pick just one of the more recent scholars, go read Alex Vitale's work.

Responding to such criticism with bogus allegations that I "hate Americans" is part of the same propaganda technique that tries to silence criticism by labelling it as "Anti-American", which itself is a mirror-image of the Soviet Union's tactic of silencing critics by labelling them as "Anti-Soviet".

If you want to find the people who really truly deeply hate Americans, look at the people like loneshark64 who lash out at critics of America's oppressive system of policing and criminal justice which makes the USA the most-imprisoned society of earth.  You gotta hate your fellow Americans citizens real bad to lash out at people who criticise that oppression.

And before you respond with the claim that China may imprison more people ... just take a moment to reflect on the fact  if that was true, it would make the USA second only to a country which they denounce as a brutal dictatorship.

I know many American police officers. Do you know any American police officers? An “armed f*cker is harassing and/or threating you and/or humiliating you for the umpteenth time“? There are problems in many of our police departments that must be addressed. There are also many very effective police departments here that they don’t write about in Ireland.

The fact is, you have a consistent pattern of bashing America and Americans outside of PA. Over and over again. And I am disinclined to let it pass. America has always been there for your country. Always always always.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

It's pretty hard for anyone to misrepresent what you write when what you write is there for all to see, pretty much wherever one wishes to look, and (to your credit) is quite consistent.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

I know many American police officers. Do you know any American police officers? There are problems in many of our police departments that must be addressed. There are also many very effective police departments here that they don’t write about in Ireland.

The fact is, you have a consistent pattern of bashing America and Americans outside of PA. Over and over again. And I am disinclined to let it pass. America has always been there for your country. Always always always.

I know plenty of US police officers personally and the majority of them should not be allowed such authority and power. The profession attracts far too many thugs and scumbags and I can assure you that the policing of this country is fucked up beyond repair. 
 It’s only those who enjoy the benefits of having grown up outside this country in the likes of the UK, Ireland, Australia etc. who really know how fucked up the system is.

You lot are like the proverbial frog in the pot of water, with the ever increasing temperature.

Heck, I’ve lived in South American countries with more professional police than here.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, IStream said:

It's pretty hard for anyone to misrepresent what you write when what you write is there for all to see, pretty much wherever one wishes to look, and (to your credit) is quite consistent.

At least, if you ever visited Ireland, you'd be able to recognize two legged at any distance.

I doubt there's 2 people who permanently carry around a fucking giant log on their shoulder. Most Irish are content with just a chip.

FKT

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

At least, if you ever visited Ireland, you'd be able to recognize two legged at any distance.

I doubt there's 2 people who permanently carry around a fucking giant log on their shoulder. Most Irish are content with just a chip.

FKT

You yourself seem to have quite the log on your shoulder about the irish.

what’s the matter, some paddy ‘scut’ roger yer missus and leave a bad taste in her mouth?

Lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elegua said:

That smug look....I've got a motorboat, too....

He's got the best looking West Systems-stirring assistant on Youtube.

I do like that Hell's Gate video. It's got a little of everything - love story Estonian-style...how-to of Hell's Gate...NYC bridge history lesson. She talks a little like Zsazsa Gabor, but we can take that in stride. They clearly like and promote each other.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IStream said:

Yet, loneshark manages the misrepresentation with gusto.  

2legged: Americans scholars document throroughly how your police/criminal justice/prison system persecutes American citizens.

Loneshark: OMG! you hate Americans!!!

No, dummie. I hate the way that so many ordinary decent Americans are persecuted.  I want better for them.  The people who hate Americans are the people like Loneshark who lash at anyone who criticises the persecution.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
On 9/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, TwoLegged said:

As to the Brits, well I wouldn't even place them as candidates.  They have never repented of invading most of the planet to loot it, and after a decade of killing hundreds of thousands of poor people by taking money off them while pouring billions in to the rich, they haven't learnt much.

Come on… you’ve been saying negative things about every aspect of American life for months. All the time. At least be honest.

And now it’s the Brit’s! I am sure these comments are because you care about their people so much. Like you call Americans dumb and uncouth because we mispronounce your shit on vacation, this is your way of caring about structural oppression.

Why don’t you just stick to boats and stop with your half assed commentary on other countries that aren’t fucking perfect like Ireland.

You are so full of crap.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

I spent an hour working to find quality content for you people - specifically to put an end to the political pontificating on this thread. If we can't put a stop to it here, where can we?  

Big fucking announcement - on this thread, if you aren't a citizen of a country, you can't say a fucking word about it unless it's complimentary. Or unless it's in jest, and you can receive with the same humor that you deliver. How bout them fucking apples?

Now back to our West Systems primer:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

I know many American police officers. Do you know any American police officers? An “armed f*cker is harassing and/or threating you and/or humiliating you for the umpteenth time“? There are problems in many of our police departments that must be addressed. There are also many very effective police departments here that they don’t write about in Ireland.

I was born and raised in the United States; two close family members are recently retired from a career in federal law enforcement, one of my best friends from high school pursued a career in local law enforcement, etc.  I hope that provides a sufficient resume for me to have earned the right to agree with TwoLegged in this particular instance.

I am pleased to report that my personal experience of law enforcement has been, to the extent I've had such experience at all, mostly unremarkable.  There was a Canadian customs official who had my car searched in retaliation for something that set him off, maybe long hair, maybe too casual an attitude, who knows.  And some rural Louisiana deputy sheriff who wrote me a bogus ticket and searched my car.  Long hair and a dislike of Yankees I think.

Many other interactions have been routine, with local law enforcement being respectful to the point of being deferential in their conversations with me.  They are acutely aware of socioeconomic standing and pick up on minor cues, shibboleths -- straight teeth, glasses that didn't come from Costco, thin wallet with little more than an amex card and driver's license -- as well as race, style of dress, and speech. 

But I have personally watched the St. Paul police beat homeless black men who posed no threat to them.

And I have listened to sworn testimony to the state legislative auditor regarding repeated, ongoing practices of unjustified seizure of cash and valuables by the Gang Strike Force, a now-disbanded police task force operating in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Back when I participated in a forum for left-wing gun nuts (it's Minnesota, we have such a thing) we had the routine stories of the police treating MWAG (man with a gun) calls far differently based on the race of the MWAG (Though it is uncommon it is lawful for ordinary people to be visibly armed here; a permit is required but easy to obtain).

And the stories of Philandro Castile and George Floyd were, for me, local stories.  These stories are echos of the stories from around the nation, of Michael Brown and Eric Garner and dozens -- indeed hundreds -- of others whose abuse and death at the hands of police were able to be hushed up because there was no video evidence, because no one believed their story, and because survivors write history.

So, no, they are not isolated incidents.  There are not "problems in many of our police departments."  We have an endemic, structural problem in the manner in which law enforcement operates in particular (and with the way the criminal justice system operates in general).  That endemic, structural problem is one of racist, classist policing that favors order over justice and is happy to throw disadvantaged people under the bus in the name of saving us from drunk drivers, drug dealers, petty thieves, and those who challenge the established order.

Don't refer to our country as "America."  It makes you sound like a geographically challenged Trump voter who drinks Bud Light.

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, 2airishuman said:

I was born and raised in the United States; two close family members are recently retired from a career in federal law enforcement, one of my best friends from high school pursued a career in local law enforcement, etc.  I hope that provides a sufficient resume for me to have earned the right to agree with TwoLegged in this particular instance.

I am pleased to report that my personal experience of law enforcement has been, to the extent I've had such experience at all, mostly unremarkable.  There was a Canadian customs official who had my car searched in retaliation for something that set him off, maybe long hair, maybe too casual an attitude, who knows.  And some rural Louisiana deputy sheriff who wrote me a bogus ticket and searched my car.  Long hair and a dislike of Yankees I think.

Many other interactions have been routine, with local law enforcement being respectful to the point of being deferential in their conversations with me.  They are acutely aware of socioeconomic standing and pick up on minor cues, shibboleths -- straight teeth, glasses that didn't come from Costco, thin wallet with little more than an amex card and driver's license -- as well as race, style of dress, and speech. 

But I have personally watched the St. Paul police beat homeless black men who posed no threat to them.

And I have listened to sworn testimony to the state legislative auditor regarding repeated, ongoing practices of unjustified seizure of cash and valuables by the Gang Strike Force, a now-disbanded police task force operating in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Back when I participated in a forum for left-wing gun nuts (it's Minnesota, we have such a thing) we had the routine stories of the police treating MWAG (man with a gun) calls far differently based on the race of the MWAG (Though it is uncommon it is lawful for ordinary people to be visibly armed here; a permit is required but easy to obtain).

And the stories of Philandro Castile and George Floyd were, for me, local stories.  These stories are echos of the stories from around the nation, of Michael Brown and Eric Garner and dozens -- indeed hundreds -- of others whose abuse and death at the hands of police were able to be hushed up because there was no video evidence, because no one believed their story, and because survivors write history.

So, no, they are not isolated incidents.  There are not "problems in many of our police departments."  We have an endemic, structural problem in the manner in which law enforcement operates in particular (and with the way the criminal justice system operates in general).  That endemic, structural problem is one of racist, classist policing that favors order over justice and is happy to throw disadvantaged people under the bus in the name of saving us from drunk drivers, drug dealers, petty thieves, and those who challenge the established order.

Don't refer to our country as "America."  It makes you sound like a geographically challenged Trump voter who drinks Bud Light.

Ummm…and how about a post about a YouTube video? That’s what this thread is about.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Ummm…and how about a post about a YouTube video? That’s what this thread is about.

Sure.  I've just been watching the latest from Roger Barnes, which has its moments.  The boats and the scenery are delightful.

• Like 2
On 9/23/2021 at 10:39 AM, Elegua said:

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out over the next couple of years Winters. I think there's a "cultural" aspect that people forget.  One gets used to living a certain way, with a certain lifestyle surrounded by certain kinds of people and that can be hard to change.  People are flooding into Florida in a similar manner to Maine. If they are coming to Florida with the mindset that they are escaping "Blue" state taxes, they might do OK, even if they wonder/complain why, strangely, the infrastructure and services are terrible. If they are coming from places where there is any kind of local society, they might not do well.  For example a guy moved to FL from a coolish part of Brooklyn. He missed all of the local shops and restaurants and plans to head back North. A young colleague of mine is here for work and desperately wants to move back to Boston because she is having trouble adapting to the culture.  If the SALT tax cap is removed and there are a couple of Hurricanes, I wonder how many will move back? 

Anyway, I am biased. I think Florida is one of the worst places I have lived, and I have lived in some bad places. 

I'm from Florida and I wouldn't live where you live. It's not all bad. St. Augustine is lovely. 

I grew up in undeveloped SW Florida. I was running around in the swamps as a kid. Frankly, I'm lucky to have survived my childhood, given all the alligators in the area at the time.  I saw them frequently and it wasn't uncommon for some snowbird's little "Fifi" dog to go missing as a 'gator hors 'doeuvre.  I had a great time and I loved it. While I was away serving in the military, the place absolutely exploded. When I returned on leave, I was aghast at what the place had become. Totally overdeveloped.  I might live in a nice part of Fort Myers but I sure as hell wouldn't go back to Cape Coral.

The roads and bridges were always in pretty decent shape when I lived there and when I visited.  Hell, after the big real estate crash of '08 the roads were in great shape because there was no one driving on them and Florida hath no winter.

7 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I'm from Florida and I wouldn't live where you live. It's not all bad. St. Augustine is lovely. 

I grew up in undeveloped SW Florida. I was running around in the swamps as a kid. Frankly, I'm lucky to have survived my childhood, given all the alligators in the area at the time.  I saw them frequently and it wasn't uncommon for some snowbird's little "Fifi" dog to go missing as a 'gator hors 'doeuvre.  I had a great time and I loved it. While I was away serving in the military, the place absolutely exploded. When I returned on leave, I was aghast at what the place had become. Totally overdeveloped.  I might live in a nice part of Fort Myers but I sure as hell wouldn't go back to Cape Coral.

The roads and bridges were always in pretty decent shape when I lived there and when I visited.  Hell, after the big real estate crash of '08 the roads were in great shape because there was no one driving on them and Florida hath no winter.

I need to go to St Augustine. One positive thing I can say is that the park system is amazing. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Ajax said:

You lot have got to acquaint yourselves with the "Ignore" function.

My ignore list is five pages long, more than 100 people, most of whom are there because they have the nasty habit of attacking people instead of addressing (or ignoring) their issues and ideas.  Hate is toxic and so very tiresome.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

He's got the best looking West Systems-stirring assistant on Youtube.

I do like that Hell's Gate video. It's got a little of everything - love story Estonian-style...how-to of Hell's Gate...NYC bridge history lesson. She talks a little like Zsazsa Gabor, but we can take that in stride. They clearly like and promote each other.

Just to be pedantic, and at the risk of diverting the thread from nationalistic debate, it’s Hell Gate, not Hell’s Gate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Gate

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Just to be pedantic, and at the risk of diverting the thread from nationalistic debate, it’s Hell Gate, not Hell’s Gate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Gate

Thanks, and interesting Dutch etymology!

The Sailing Liberty guy should have known the correct term, but I hope he continues to put out more offbeat videos.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Hang on, this totally unrelated subject material to the OP is the only reason I'm here.

The videos posted are not very good (at best), so far(which in thread history/length is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar). 

It has had some awesome Fred Drift for sure

Much of it hugely entertaining

As for the videos themselves

We have had every conceivable type of presenter...

.... lots of breast work of course, impossibly perfect people, tattoos and manbuns, old lotharios, pocket philosophers.

....boats ranging from cats the size of badminton courts to tiny gaffers and massive old wrecks.

...all sorts of ancillary activities from paragliding to motorcycling and implied fekkin

...fettling from winches to engine transplants

....cooking and eating everything that grows and walks and swims

... we have watched no end of dolphins

....fish have been slaughtered by the dozen

....Mishaps from dismastings to sinking

....a tonne of wrangling with bureaucrats across the globe

There is, I fear, almost nothing left to say, nothing left to do, nothing left to show that has not already been done a dozen times on film for a couple of hundred hits on you tube.

Dylan

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

It has had some awesome Fred Drift for sure

Much of it hugely entertaining

As for the videos themselves

We have had every conceivable type of presenter...

.... lots of breast work of course, impossibly perfect people, tattoos and manbuns, old lotharios, pocket philosophers.

....boats ranging from cats the size of badminton courts to tiny gaffers and massive old wrecks.

...all sorts of ancillary activities from paragliding to motorcycling and implied fekkin

...fettling from winches to engine transplants

....cooking and eating everything that grows and walks and swims

....fish have been slaughtered by the dozen

....Mishaps from dismastings to sinking

....a tonne of wrangling with bureaucrats across the globe

There is, I fear, almost nothing left to say, nothing left to do, nothing left to show that has not already been done a dozen times on film for a couple of hundred hits on you tube.

Dylan

Someone will think of something. 

27 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

There is, I fear, almost nothing left to say, nothing left to do, nothing left to show that has not already been done a dozen times on film for a couple of hundred hits on you tube

Nevertheless we soldier on. 
The Good Bad and Uglies, aka the waitress and the MMA fighter, my guiltiest pleasure, are in Puerto Rico and their engine is finally gone for good. Their solution? Put on a bikini and sail engine-less to Florida in hurricane season to get a new engine. Should be interesting to watch. What they aren’t doing is any go-fund-me/buy me an engine sort of thing. Just as the did when they bought their own Highfield and reviewed it honestly, unlike many of the rest. 

I apologize unreservedly for when Mum and Dad were fighting. Just remember, no matter what happens we still love (most of) you, very very much.

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Thar be treasure, arrrrrgghhhh!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dylan winter said:

you forgot the swimming pigs!

But have no fear, people will always come up with new, original content and missions.  How about this couple, who call themselves two young passionate ocean lovers with a calling to help bring justice to the sea. ;)

7 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

two young passionate ocean lovers with a calling to help bring justice to the sea. ;)

Will they be holding sessions of Neptunes Court?

53 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

But have no fear, people will always come up with new, original content and missions.  How about this couple, who call themselves two young passionate ocean lovers with a calling to help bring justice to the sea. ;)

The $1(AUS) catamaran. Been around for a couple years.  I preferred the previous Mer, however.

4 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Nevertheless we soldier on. 
The Good Bad and Uglies, aka the waitress and the MMA fighter, my guiltiest pleasure, are in Puerto Rico and their engine is finally gone for good. Their solution? Put on a bikini and sail engine-less to Florida in hurricane season to get a new engine. Should be interesting to watch. What they aren’t doing is any go-fund-me/buy me an engine sort of thing. Just as the did when they bought their own Highfield and reviewed it honestly, unlike many of the rest. 

I apologize unreservedly for when Mum and Dad were fighting. Just remember, no matter what happens we still love (most of) you, very very much.

They are also my guilty pleasure. I like that they are genuinely working class as opposed to members of the petit bourgeoisie slumming it / grifting

Good on em

Sam Holmes does seem to be keen to get around to places off the beaten track

his cut the blather editing must surely inspire others soon

surprised no one has done a slicker version of dylans approach yet somewhere sunnier

• Like 1
17 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Why don’t you just stick to boats and stop with your half assed commentary on other countries that aren’t fucking perfect like Ireland.

You are so full of crap.

I take the view that people resort to personal abuse only when they have nothing of substance to say in a reply.  Thanks to loneshark for providing evidence in support of that theory.

As to the claim that I regard Ireland as perfect, the technical term for that is "malicious crap".  It's a falsehood which @loneshark64 should have known to be false: see my post from a few days ago:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I take the view that people resort to personal abuse only when they have nothing of substance to say in a reply.  Thanks to loneshark for providing evidence in support of that theory.

As to the claim that I regard Ireland as perfect, the technical term for that is "malicious crap".  It's a falsehood which @loneshark64 should have known to be false: see my post from a few days ago

Meanwhile on YouTube, that Learning the Lines couple that taught us how to not quite refit a boat and then couldn’t give it away and got pregnant have found a new boat for their young family. A Corsair 27 trimaran. Seriously. Huh?

On 9/25/2021 at 9:56 PM, ProaSailor said:

Cops can take your freedom away in a heart beat, too often based on their own mood and attitude.  Even if the legal system doesn't pursue the case, the hassle factor can be extremely high.  They have the power to ruin your day over petty "crimes" so caution is well advised.

I find a couple of donut jokes always breaks the ice. 

12 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Meanwhile on YouTube, that Learning the Lines couple that taught us how to not quite refit a boat and then couldn’t give it away and got pregnant have found a new boat for their young family. A Corsair 27 trimaran. Seriously. Huh?

I think it's a great choice.  A trimaran can sneak into thin water, and dry out on mud or sand.  For a young family, that's brilliant.  Plus, the trimaran can make rapid passages between those secluded places.

it won't appeal to those who want to bring the whole house with them, for those travelling light in warm climates, those virtues may make it a much better choice than a mono.

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I find a couple of donut jokes always breaks the ice. 

Of course.  History could have been so different if only Philandro Castile, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Daunte Wright a few thousand other Americans had a decent stash of donut jokes.

39 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Gonna be a challenge to find a place to stow the nappies on one of those. They sail decently, but it's closer to camping than I'd prefer even without the kid. Nothing like noobs flying an ama with the kid bouncing around an bassinet . :D 

4 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Gonna be a challenge to find a place to stow the nappies on one of those. They sail decently, but it's closer to camping than I'd prefer even without the kid. Nothing like noobs flying an ama with the kid bouncing around an bassinet . :D 

Yup pretty spare living. Sounds like another fixer upper so who knows if they will get there this time.

8 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Out of curiosity, how much time have you spent cruising on an F27? 

None.  But I did spend a lot of time cruising a J/24, which also has v little interior space.  And I did that in a cold, damp climate.  Plus I have done a lot of cycle touring, which was all camping.

I know that camping is not everyone's idea of fun, but some of us enjoy bouts of minimalism.

14 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

None.  But I did spend a lot of time cruising a J/24, which also has v little interior space.  And I did that in a cold, damp climate.  Plus I have done a lot of cycle touring, which was all camping.

Sure, there's all kinds of cruising. Did the camping cruising, had fun, moved on.  

J24s are pretty slow and sedate.  It was easy to keep my novice wife and young kids out of trouble and everything was very manageable. A very forgiving boat (if you keep the cockpit lockers closed ). 

In this case we have a novice, liveaboard sailors with a young child and an F27 in pretty rough condition.  What could possibly go wrong? If they do a good job of putting it back together, don't overload it, and significantly up their sailing game from where they are now, they might just pull it off. Time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, Elegua said:

J24s are pretty slow and sedate.  It was easy to keep my novice wife and young kids out of trouble and everything was very manageable. A very forgiving boat (if you keep the cockpit lockers closed ). 

Depends on the conditions and how hard you drive the boat.  I recall one long passage with big swells astern where the wind was dead astern and built to f6/f7.  We averaged over 10 knots, and it was white-knuckle stuff: we reckoned that a broach could put us in v big trouble, since a friend had sunk their J/24 that way only a year or two before.

We were OK, and had lots of fun, 'cos we were all well-experienced.  But we didn't have to drive the boat that way: we could have waited a day or two, or made the trip much more sedately under a jib only.  Cruising a tri will bring similar choices, and my only concern is whether this couple have enough wisdom to stay within the limits of their sailing skills.

4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Sailing Uma has made it to Svalbard.  Lots of foggy sea footage, then a stunning fjord.  It would appear that they have not yet been eaten by polar bears

I'm really impressed by these guys.

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I'm really impressed by these guys.

Me too. Their achievement to bullshit ratio is very high.  They have developed a lot of skills and are really pushing the envelope with their adventures, but they still have enough bullshit to keep their patreons happy.

They now have lots of commercial tie-ins, but they had the sense to back off the Skillshare advertorials when that got blowback.

4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

They now have lots of commercial tie-ins, but they had the sense to back off the Skillshare advertorials when that got blowback.

I actually didn’t mind those, although I never did click through.  Kika seems to be very good at creating and editing entertaining videos.  I’d think it would be more of a straightforward cost/benefit calculation.  If it had paid off, they’d continue.  

Actually, I’m a few months behind on watching these. But Winter Is Coming.  

On 9/30/2021 at 8:17 PM, 2airishuman said:

We have an endemic, structural problem in the manner in which law enforcement operates in particular (and with the way the criminal justice system operates in general). 

Oh...yes, N.W.A. was trying to make an important point with that song way back when...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Sailing Uma has made it to Svalbard.  Lots of foggy sea footage, then a stunning fjord.  It would appear that they have not yet been eaten by polar bears

Precision mainsail.  I wonder how they like it.

2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Precision mainsail.  I wonder how they like it.

they list Precision as a "partner": https://sailinguma.com/collaborations/precision-sails/

So I presume that the sails are either a freebie or at a hefty discount.  It's easy to like freebie gear, and if the sails are less than perfect, I guess they will avoid saying anything negative about their "partner"

3 hours ago, toddster said:

I actually didn’t mind those, although I never did click through.  Kika seems to be very good at creating and editing entertaining videos.  I’d think it would be more of a straightforward cost/benefit calculation.  If it had paid off, they’d continue.  

yes, Kika makes good videos.  We'll have to disagree on the Skillshare advertorials: I thought they were cleverly done, but cheesy and annoying.

But I don't think it's a straightforward cost/benefit calculation of effort to make that segment vs payment from Skillshare.  It seems to me that the much more important calculation is how the advertorials go down with the Patreons, who are their core source of revenue. 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:17 PM, 2airishuman said:

One small note… the use of the word American to refer to people from the US predates the Trump debacle by a couple hundred years and is controversial now in our language sensitive age. There really isn’t another shorthand term or nickname that has risen to replace it. Some Spanish speaking countries use estadounidense. Many Quebecers have long used etats-uniens. These roughly translate as “united statesers” which is clunky and doesn’t really translate well. As we call Australians Australians, not Commonwealth-of-Australiaers. So American has stuck. Non French Canadians often call us Americans and themselves Canadians, and many Spanish speakers use Americanos. Or Yanquis, which is offensive to Red Sox fans (and perhaps to US citizens of non British descent?)

I think it’s not a big deal. Some people do.

25 minutes ago, KillickThere said:

One small note… the use of the word American to refer to people from the US predates the Trump debacle by a couple hundred years and is controversial now in our language sensitive age. There really isn’t another shorthand term or nickname that has risen to replace it.

Some of my friends from the USA use the term "USAnians".  But it hasn't caught on yet.

Frank Lloyd Wright and friends tried to promote “Usonian” a century ago, but it just ended up becoming sort of his personal trademark.  

In the 70’s, I remember Central Americans being pretty touchy about Norteamericanos referring to ourselves as “Americans.”  But then, they seemed to forget about Canada as well.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:52 PM, 2airishuman said:

Sure.  I've just been watching the latest from Roger Barnes, which has its moments.  The boats and the scenery are delightful.

Thanks for posting this, a good watch, and a vid that is NOT all about the videographer. It reminded me of two things:

1.       How much I want to visit the Venetian lagoon by shallow draft sailboat; and

2.       How weird some Europeans (from crowded countries) views are on what is “empty, lonely,...wilderness and wildlife"...(If I can’t go days on end without seeing another human, when I set out in my Canoe, ...well it feels like I’ve not really left the burbs)

• Like 2