Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

3 hours ago, toddster said:

I actually didn’t mind those, although I never did click through.  Kika seems to be very good at creating and editing entertaining videos.  I’d think it would be more of a straightforward cost/benefit calculation.  If it had paid off, they’d continue.  

yes, Kika makes good videos.  We'll have to disagree on the Skillshare advertorials: I thought they were cleverly done, but cheesy and annoying.

But I don't think it's a straightforward cost/benefit calculation of effort to make that segment vs payment from Skillshare.  It seems to me that the much more important calculation is how the advertorials go down with the Patreons, who are their core source of revenue. 

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Posted Images

On 9/30/2021 at 7:17 PM, 2airishuman said:

Don't refer to our country as "America."  It makes you sound like a geographically challenged Trump voter who drinks Bud Light.

One small note… the use of the word American to refer to people from the US predates the Trump debacle by a couple hundred years and is controversial now in our language sensitive age. There really isn’t another shorthand term or nickname that has risen to replace it. Some Spanish speaking countries use estadounidense. Many Quebecers have long used etats-uniens. These roughly translate as “united statesers” which is clunky and doesn’t really translate well. As we call Australians Australians, not Commonwealth-of-Australiaers. So American has stuck. Non French Canadians often call us Americans and themselves Canadians, and many Spanish speakers use Americanos. Or Yanquis, which is offensive to Red Sox fans (and perhaps to US citizens of non British descent?)

I think it’s not a big deal. Some people do.

25 minutes ago, KillickThere said:

One small note… the use of the word American to refer to people from the US predates the Trump debacle by a couple hundred years and is controversial now in our language sensitive age. There really isn’t another shorthand term or nickname that has risen to replace it.

Some of my friends from the USA use the term "USAnians".  But it hasn't caught on yet.

Frank Lloyd Wright and friends tried to promote “Usonian” a century ago, but it just ended up becoming sort of his personal trademark.  

In the 70’s, I remember Central Americans being pretty touchy about Norteamericanos referring to ourselves as “Americans.”  But then, they seemed to forget about Canada as well.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:52 PM, 2airishuman said:

Sure.  I've just been watching the latest from Roger Barnes, which has its moments.  The boats and the scenery are delightful.

Thanks for posting this, a good watch, and a vid that is NOT all about the videographer. It reminded me of two things:

1.       How much I want to visit the Venetian lagoon by shallow draft sailboat; and

2.       How weird some Europeans (from crowded countries) views are on what is “empty, lonely,...wilderness and wildlife"...(If I can’t go days on end without seeing another human, when I set out in my Canoe, ...well it feels like I’ve not really left the burbs)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Some of my friends from the USA use the term "USAnians".  But it hasn't caught on yet.

Apparently "Seppos" hasn't really gained approval from the Seppos.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Apparently "Seppos" hasn't really gained approval from the Seppos.

I had to google that.  More of that famous Aussie subtlety and diplomacy, eh?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elegua said:

Who's going to tell the Marg bar Āmrikā crowd they need to be more specific? 

Actually I think they would be fine with death to all of north and South America and Europe, north east Asia, and anyplace else that has working plumbing and latte shops.

• Like 1

As a Seppo [rhymes with tank which rhymes with yank] I am enjoying not being called an aus hole[which doesn't rhyme rhyme with anything and derives it's meaning from the insecurities of it's denizens.

15-20 years ago, I was flying off to so many international conferences (held in identical rooms around the world) that the cycling of coffee was more important than the sun.  There were a lot of people who referred to us as OOSah.  Which took me a while to figure out, but was not offensive.  Can’t quite remember where any of those people were from - maybe Switzerland? - only that the accent was thick enough that it required a lot of attention.  Which was fair enough, because I’m sure I didn’t speak their language.  

1 hour ago, toddster said:

There were a lot of people who referred to us as OOSah.  Which took me a while to figure out, but was not offensive.

It's kinda handy to have it as a pronouncable word.  OOSah is easier than yewessay.

If there wasn't such an North-South, Blue-Red divide in the USA, the natives could use "Yanks", which is what the rest of the world that doesn't understand or care has been using for ever. As a North American, I have always been against the appropriation of the term "American" by Yanks; it can't be used by the rest of us in the sense that "European" can apply to the inhabitants of that continent.

9 hours ago, guerdon said:

As a Seppo [rhymes with tank which rhymes with yank] I am enjoying not being called an aus hole[which doesn't rhyme rhyme with anything and derives it's meaning from the insecurities of it's denizens.

Rest easy:  Seppo is the Strine version of Septic. The term Septic for "Yanks" is actually cockney rhyming slang and was common in tv programs aired here circa 1970-80's that were sourced from the UK.

Hardly ever heard these days, and most of the under 40's would have no idea what it referred to. 

Cockney Insults https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/slang/cockney-insults.html

13 hours ago, KC375 said:

Thanks for posting this, a good watch, and a vid that is NOT all about the videographer. It reminded me of two things:

1.       How much I want to visit the Venetian lagoon by shallow draft sailboat; and

2.       How weird some Europeans (from crowded countries) views are on what is “empty, lonely,...wilderness and wildlife"...(If I can’t go days on end without seeing another human, when I set out in my Canoe, ...well it feels like I’ve not really left the burbs)

Made me laugh! Don’t get me wrong, I love the UK but I don’t think of bugs as wildlife. A bear or moose comes to my mind. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

As a North American, I have always been against the appropriation of the term "American" by Yanks

Yanks is like calling you a Canuck. People elsewhere use it because they picked it up from WWII movies but it doesn’t fit. People of New England of British colonial descent are Yankees. Irish Bostonians and Mainers with French names for example are not. Nobody is too worked up about it, but why do you get to decide what we call ourselves?

“America” is in the name of the country and the only unique word in the name of the country, which predates the naming of Canada. Canada could have called itself the Canadian states of America or something else but it didn’t. “American” was in use before that, and before the United Mexican States (should we call them UnMexicans?)

United States of America = Americans

United Mexican States = Mexicans

Commonwealth of Australia = Australians 

Irish Republican Army = Iranians

simple.

• Like 1

But where do Newfies fit in?

On 10/1/2021 at 9:04 AM, dylan winter said:

We have had every conceivable type of presenter...

There is, I fear, almost nothing left to say, nothing left to do, nothing left to show that has not already been done a dozen times on film for a couple of hundred hits on you tube.

Dylan

I'm still waiting for the middle aged single/divorced unapologetic coke & whores sailing channel.

2 hours ago, KillickThere said:

“America” is in the name of the country and the only unique word in the name of the country, which predates the naming of Canada. Canada could have called itself the Canadian states of America or something else but it didn’t. “American” was in use before that, and before the United Mexican States (should we call them UnMexicans?)

simple.

Actually, the nation name "Canada" predates "America" by over two hundred years and was in use by French explorers like Jacques Cartier in the mid-1500s. And we couldn't be the United States of Canada as we had provinces, not states, come together under Confederation. If you don't want to be Yanks, how 'bout Mercans? (and who knew Two Legs was Iranian?)

• Downvote 1
On 10/1/2021 at 6:04 AM, dylan winter said:

It has had some awesome Fred Drift for sure

Much of it hugely entertaining

As for the videos themselves

We have had every conceivable type of presenter...

There is, I fear, almost nothing left to say, nothing left to do, nothing left to show that has not already been done a dozen times on film for a couple of hundred hits on you tube.

Not always the case.

Here is some rare archival footage of the hallway of an “avant garde” music club I frequented as a teenager in Washington, DC - the venerable 930 Club, so named because that was its address on “F” Street.  Dirty, dank and run-down, it offered cheap shows for all ages (no drinking age entry requirement) - a boon to us teenagers.  Great memories of stage diving into the crowd during shows.  The club, a fixture of the “underground” arts scene on then generally boring and bureaucrat- and lawyer-laden Washington, DC, is now long since gone, part of a musical era there.

The video takes place immediately after a set player by the now-famous/now-world-known local hardcore punk rock band “Minor Threat”, a good friend’s brother was the front man/lead singer.

A video, simply, of the dingy hallway into the club, in 1983, capturing various people’s coming and going.  Which evokes plenty of nostalgia for those us, decades later, who were there then as teenagers.  Ain’t YouTube a wonderful thing!  This video has 18 views.  Let’s get the number of hits way up there, all!

Has there ever been a video on YouTube like this?  Totally innocuous and meaningless to the vast majority of people, yet powerfully evocative for others.  Maybe like the first video ever posted on YouTube (“Me at the Zoo”).

Thr videographer of the time, 1983, a 19 or 20 year old (Mitch of the local band, “G.I.”, shooting with what kind equipment...?  (I bought my first bass from him!)  Did he somehow imagine his “film” would be viewed on a global video platform one day? :-) Why would he have decided to shoot such footage?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Not always the case.

Here is some rare archival footage of the hallway of an “avant garde” music club I frequented as a teenager in Washington, DC - the venerable 930 Club, so named because that was its address on “F” Street.  Dirty, dank and run-down, it offered cheap shows for all ages (no drinking age entry requirement) - a boon to us teenagers.  Great memories of stage diving into the crowd during shows.  The club, a fixture of the “underground” arts scene on then generally boring and bureaucrat- and lawyer-laden Washington, DC, is now long since gone, part of a musical era there.

The video takes place immediately after a set player by the now-famous/now-world-known local hardcore punk rock band “Minor Threat”, a good friend’s brother was the front man/lead singer.

A video, simply, of the dingy hallway into the club, in 1983, capturing various people’s coming and going.  Which evokes plenty of nostalgia for those us, decades later, who were there then as teenagers.  Ain’t YouTube a wonderful thing!  This video has 18 views.  Let’s get the number of hits way up there, all!

Has there ever been a video on YouTube like this?  Totally innocuous and meaningless to the vast majority of people, yet powerfully evocative for others.  Maybe like the first video ever posted on YouTube (“Me at the Zoo”).

One again, paging Dirty30!

Forget which Minor Threat record it was had written on the runoff vinyl: "Why did the punk cross the road? Because Ian told him to." Back before straight edge became a nazi thing.

1 minute ago, Diarmuid said:

One again, paging Dirty30!

Forget which Minor Threat record it was had written on the runoff vinyl: "Why did the punk cross the road? Because Ian told him to." Back before straight edge became a nazi thing.

Yeah, I always thought straight edge (before it became capitalized, by someone, as a “thing”) was simply kinda cool.  A think for yourself, kinda thing.  Don’t do what others are doing just cuz they’re doing it. Ian was my best friend (and neighbor) Alec’s brother.  Ah, Ian - so “intimidating” to me at the time, as a young teenager (three or so years older than me, and very outspoken and animated/a real honest-to-gosh punk band singer!!!!) - a great guy I finally realized.  I’ve got the straight edge!! :-).  Sure, I can still sing along: “I’m a person just like you / But I’ve got better things to do / Than sit around and fuck my head / Hang out with the living dead / Snort white shit up my nose / Pass out at the shows /I don’t even think about speed / Those are things I just don’t neeeeeed!! ... how many times did we sing along to that 45 rpm record!!!

4 hours ago, KillickThere said:

Yanks is like calling you a Canuck. People elsewhere use it because they picked it up from WWII movies but it doesn’t fit. People of New England of British colonial descent are Yankees. Irish Bostonians and Mainers with French names for example are not. Nobody is too worked up about it, but why do you get to decide what we call ourselves?

simple.

National baseball championship = World Series  :P

20 hours ago, guerdon said:

There, there cupcake, did you get it caught in your zipper again?

On 10/1/2021 at 10:47 AM, robtoujours said:

They are also my guilty pleasure. I like that they are genuinely working class as opposed to members of the petit bourgeoisie slumming it / grifting

Good on em

Sam Holmes does seem to be keen to get around to places off the beaten track

his cut the blather editing must surely inspire others soon

surprised no one has done a slicker version of dylans approach yet somewhere sunnier

Our man Winter has been a film and video professional for probably forty years.  Few come close to his artistry with holding an image or a shot long enough for the mood to sink in to your soul.   Maybe Alluring Arctic.   Or am I a sucker for Fjords.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDpg-x8jI4T5Kk4h2jE00mQ

An interesting thing about Erik's next videos, per his Instagram, he apparently caught Covid in the Faroe Islands, eg had a positive test and started feeling sick, while he was out between Faroe and Iceland.  So he had to turn around and this made everything so late in the season that he bailed back to Haugesund.  Scary stuff, but should be a good series.  

ps. Did you know that Haugesund is also the name of a mattress from Ikea? The internet is a remarkable thing. 

9 hours ago, ROWBOATLOAD said:

Our man Winter has been a film and video professional for probably forty years.  Few come close to his artistry with holding an image or a shot long enough for the mood to sink in to your soul.   Maybe Alluring Arctic.   Or am I a sucker for Fjords.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDpg-x8jI4T5Kk4h2jE00mQ

I like Dylan’s stuff as much as the next internet shut-in but I have to disagree 

I find his camera and technical skills amateurish at best, often combined with inadequate equipment for what he is trying to do making watching his stuff frustrating 

The interesting thing about his work is that each episode is structured as a mini documentary that you might see on regional tv

Whereas most yt stuff seems to be structured like a music video or mtv reality show

but in terms of cinematography and editing “sea change” blows Dylan (and everyone else) out the water

I am holding out for the Sergei Eisenstein of sailing videos 

Or for Dylan to get some advanced tech like a microphone, light, wide angle lens, etc

1 hour ago, robtoujours said:

I like Dylan’s stuff as much as the next internet shut-in but I have to disagree 

I find his camera and technical skills amateurish at best, often combined with inadequate equipment for what he is trying to do making watching his stuff frustrating 

The interesting thing about his work is that each episode is structured as a mini documentary that you might see on regional tv

Whereas most yt stuff seems to be structured like a music video or mtv reality show

but in terms of cinematography and editing “sea change” blows Dylan (and everyone else) out the water

I am holding out for the Sergei Eisenstein of sailing videos 

Or for Dylan to get some advanced tech like a microphone, light, wide angle lens, etc

You are like the youngsters who have been listening to crap music in compressed formats on earbuds for so long that they prefer it to real music with dynamic range, recorded and played in lossless formats, on good equipment. His sense of light and framing is exquisite IMO. Dylan is an old pro, doing things the old way, for an audience of "mostly old blokes". Works for me.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

You are like the youngsters who have been listening to crap music in compressed formats on earbuds for so long that they prefer it to real music with dynamic range, recorded and played in lossless formats, on good equipment. His sense of light and framing is exquisite IMO. Dylan is an old pro, doing things the old way, for an audience of "mostly old blokes". Works for me.

I'm not an old bloke.  Old cow might be closer to the mark.

But I agree with @Jim in Halifax.  To my eyes, Dylan's videography is great, and I dunno what @robtoujours is on about.

Besides, I don't think that Dylan would look at his best in a bikini or with a manbun.  And the waters he sails in are too murky for snorkeling.

8 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

An interesting thing about Erik's next videos, per his Instagram, he apparently caught Covid in the Faroe Islands, eg had a positive test and started feeling sick, while he was out between Faroe and Iceland.  So he had to turn around and this made everything so late in the season that he bailed back to Haugesund.  Scary stuff, but should be a good series.  

ps. Did you know that Haugesund is also the name of a mattress from Ikea? The internet is a remarkable thing. 

Yes it is disappointing. His videos are so good though that even a failed mission I will learn some things. He’s quit his job now so perhaps next season he will start the expedition earlier.

3 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

My touchstones are more along the lines of “knife in the water”, “the silent world” or anything by raoul coutard etc rather than regional uk tv for cinematography 

im annoyed because I actually paid money for a few of his videos and was confused at the gap between effusive praise here and what I was actually seeing

his content is good and interesting, but shaky camerawork, bad lens choice, shitty lighting, audio sounding like it’s from an old telephone etc is what it is

rambling old man style is fine, after all I like jack Hargreaves and Tom cunliffe 

But given current tech it is absurdly cheap to do this stuff properly now compared to 10-20 years ago 

seems oldies here have no filmic education or taste? Ok boomer

2 hours ago, robtoujours said:

seems oldies here have no filmic education or taste? Ok boomer

Once a discussion gets to the point of citing other people's tastes as a lack of education, the conversation starts going downhill.  And "ok boomer" is a type of hand grenade.

Here's one of Dylan's vids.  I look fwd to @robtoujours posting a link of rob's better video, or one which has received more hits than the >5million of this one across various re-postings

• Like 2

Latest NatGeographic cites a study on starling murmurations, their effect on peregrine falcon attack success, and how the pulsations are caused not by fluctuating bird density, as was supposed, but by synchronized extension or contraction of the starlings' wings to alter their pixel size. Sort of like a stadium card stunt.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Once a discussion gets to the point of citing other people's tastes as a lack of education, the conversation starts going downhill.  And "ok boomer" is a type of hand grenade.

Here's one of Dylan's vids.  I look fwd to @robtoujours posting a link of rob's better video, or one which has received more hits than the >5million of this one across various re-postings

It’s a clip of a murmuration. So? Everyone loves murmurations. What is the relevance to the work Dylan charges real money for? 

As for better videos, I’m not a filmmaker asking to be paid for my short films. Certainly not one claiming decades of professional experience. And then whinging that more people aren’t buying them so I can go cruising and it’s only because I don’t have tits

m8, it’s not cos you don’t look good in a bikini, it’s cos ur videos are sorta shit

Better produced videos for free on YouTube - take your pick - there are hundreds - from amateurs - even no bikinis like with tally ho etc

The things I dislike about some parts of his videos are the result of sheer laziness on his part, or maybe low energy is a better way to put it

it’s like that thing with his diesel tank, same I couldn’t be bothered to fix it properly mentality but I will complain about it instead

if he put more effort in he would be more successful 

I’m not saying he is Alan partridge, but nor is he the next jacques Cousteau 

sorry boomers

• Like 1

And "ok boomer" is a type of hand grenade.

It isn't if you don't take it that way. I've always thought the saying was a very poor reflection on the speaker, since it usually came out of the mouth of a young person who didn't know what they didn't know. That's what I told my kids. :)

Now I think the saying has jumped the shark, and who wants to use outdated sayings?

Dylan used YouTube for many years but got fed up when they were heavily skimming all his earnings on the music copyright scam. He wasn't interested in the Patreon grind and asked instead for PayPal 'taps' if you enjoyed his work. He decided to go pay-per-view to limit his audience to those who enjoyed his films and were interested in supporting his projects. At $ a film, he reckoned he'd separate the 'wheat from the chaff'. He also used to offer a money-back guarantee if you didn't like his work. I don't know if that still applies but I'll wager he'll refund you if you write to him. And there are still many free films on his Keep Turning Left web site. Obviously he's not to your taste, but many of us on CA appreciate Dylan Winter and what he does.

• Like 6

I’ll get over the £5

I’ve read his posts 

veneration of mediocrity ticks me off

he’d be able to bake a lot more bread if he tried harder 

I’d better get back to TikTok! 

Wow.  I am not even going to quote rob again.  We can all do without that bile being regurgitated.

Here's my take on @dylan winter's videos: he fulfils his objectives exceptionally well, but those objectives are not everyone's cup of tea.

That's not unusual.  Tastes vary, and the audience for different genres may not overlap greatly. Tits-in-the-Caribbean viewers may not much enjoy sailing-nordic-storms, whose viewers might not be into rebuilding-wooden-boat, whose fans may not be into two-babies-acquire-a-trimaran.   À Chacun Son Goût.

Personally, I love Dylan's videos.  No drama, no bullshit.  Just a bloke navigating the coast in a succession of crappy old slug boats, without much cash, fixing them up just enough to be usable and then going out to find delight in the mundane and tell a story of where he is rather than how cool he is.  (Which is a good call, 'cos Dylan is an amiable everyman rather than a cool kid).

I think this is magnificent.  it reminds of advice given to me to by a biologist on a farm walk: "Your terrier is right. Look DOWN".  That was because at my feet was an extraordinary variety of rare orchids and other plants which provided the food for an amazing variety of moths which the 'ologists were documenting prolifically.  Dylan does the same with the coast: he gets up close and finds the overlooked details.  Mudflats that most people avoid, estuaries lined with industrial archaeology, rivers lined with pretentious toffs, wee fishing ports reeking of economic decline: Dylan tells their story as an observer without sounding like a teacher or a poser.  (The BBC ran a series called "Coast", which isn't a tenth as good.  Even though it probably had a thousand times the budget, its presenter is a twazzock).

I don't always like the story Dylan tells, and I annoyed him muchly a few years ago by criticising his take on some Scottish history.  But I love watching his videos, and my disagreement doesn't detract from my enjoyment: his story is his story, even if it's not my story it's well-told and worth hearing.

So some people don't Dylan's videos.  Fine, your taste is your taste and my taste s my taste.  I don't like Sam Holmes's video (no storytelling, no emotion, and his persistent lack of effort to pronounce placenames seems to me to be plain rude); but other like  Sam's work, with is fine.  Similarly, I find RAN sailing to be deadly boring, and La Vagabonde too me-me-cool-me, but they have other fans.

What I don't get, though, is calling Dylan's work "mediocre".  That seems to me to be an indefensible slur on the creator of a lot of very well-edited fine footage.  Fair enough if you don't like the genre or the style ... but using that as the spur to denounce his quality seems to me to be mean and nasty, and a bit petty.

I do have one big criticism of Dylan's videos.  It is an utter disgrace that they have not long since propelled Dylan to inclusion in one of the lists of British honours.  Even leaving aside all the party donors who basically bought their honours, the lists are stuffed full of people who had done much lesser service to their country than the man who has filmed its coasts in such detail and with so little posing.  C'mon, Brits get yer fingers out and start hammering the Honours Committee to rectify this scandalous omission.   Even if he doesn't get to be Lord Dylan of Magic Roundabout, he should at least be OBE.

• Like 6

Here's younger guy and his SO that seem pretty matter of fact about their work on a wooden boat they plan to cruise. Anyone brave enough to just take a drill and fasteners to the bottom of their boat.... 

• Like 2

I’ll get over the £5

I’ve read his posts 

veneration of mediocrity ticks me off

he’d be able to bake a lot more bread if he tried harder 

I’d better get back to TikTok! 

Just checking - you know he’s here, right?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

(The BBC ran a series called "Coast", which isn't a tenth as good.  Even though it probably had a thousand times the budget, its presenter is a twazzock)

There seem to be about 30 presenters -- which one? Not Dr. Alice Roberts, we hope. She is superb and brilliant, PhD in forensic osteology, one of Time Team's fabulous bone ladies (along with Margaret Cox and Jackie McKinley), and she would be even better as a marsupial.

Neil Oliver I should like but do not, for some reason.

Are you guys kidding me? I know who the OP is, you want me to fight him or something??

twolegged is not reading what I wrote

Remember i said i found his content good and interesting? How quickly they forget, smh

the content themes etc are great 

what would elevate his work would be attention to detail on the technical side

i mean since unlike all YouTubers most of his stuff is $pay to view$ it doesn’t seem to me to be unreasonable to advocate for improvements in this area, you know, as a paying customer 

Saying he should be knighted for services to the arts, dunno about that, seems literally like venerating mediocrity

Tho maybe I am too old school? Mediocre for me means “ok”, not “bad”, hardly a condemnation 

and if you think I’m bitter, wait until you see gen z come and appropriate your mansions and get you “hard cancelled”

you’ll be begging for me to come back then!! Believe me!! Watch out folx 

14 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

There seem to be about 30 presenters -- which one? Not Dr. Alice Roberts, we hope. She is superb and brilliant, PhD in forensic osteology, one of Time Team's fabulous bone ladies (along with Margaret Cox and Jackie McKinley), and she would be even better as a marsupial.

Neil Oliver I should like but do not, for some reason.

Neil Oliver is the one I was referring to.  And I really think that you should not like him, esp since he has zoomed off down an alt-right wormhole.

15 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

I don't see a problem with the technical side, and rate it well above "mediocre".

• Like 1

Dylan always said his small audience are 'olde blokes' so he doesn't expect most to watch his stuff. He started the thread 5 years ago as a think out loud about the blooming Youtube sailing rockstars. 

What I've taken away is an understanding of how very few are making any more than a few bucks. Sex sells, duh,  that's older than baseball. Mostly, Youtube has a lot of people dancing for them to sell ads. 

YoutubeSailing sells only if your soft porn thumbs are any good. Much of the content sounds pretty boring but I haven't watched many of the vids posted here.

I find many of the presenters aren't very interesting. And the videos are usually those presenters - un-edited - talking to the lens for a half an hour.

Cheesus, I wouldn't subject anyone to me blabbing for a half an hour into a lens. 

Sailing is an obscure pastime, just as it ever was. Youtube sailing is not much about sailing. It's about live-aboard mostly. 

Sailing, travel, food, architecture, culture (esp. generational, my favorite!), I like a production that takes time and effort to create. I don't want to wade through junk. :)

No matter what you use for a lens, it still takes an eye today. That lets out most of the sailing Youtubers. 

15 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

What I've taken away is an understanding of how very few are making any more than a few bucks. Sex sells, duh,  that's older than baseball. Mostly, Youtube has a lot of people dancing for them to sell ads. 

If you get over 100k subscribers you can earn 2-3k per month. 

advertisers value the sailing demographic quite highly

Sailing, travel, food, architecture, culture (esp. generational, my favorite!), I like a production that takes time and effort to create. I don't want to wade through junk. :)

No matter what you use for a lens, it still takes an eye today. That lets out most of the sailing Youtubers. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Thanks, I'll take a peek at those in time. No cheesy thumbs, that's a good start. 

They’re in a Lafitte 44. Bob Perry is a fan (of the series)

19 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

If you get over 100k subscribers you can earn 2-3k per month. 

advertisers value the sailing demographic quite highly

Yeah, I watched the first video in that series, and while the videography is great, IMO some of the script is trite. And I prefer the camera to cast an adoring eye at female rather than male crew. But that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Sir, I know a genre just for you (must be 19+).

Naw, I don't need that, thanks. But it is pleasant to see an occasional adult female on a sailing-in-the-tropics series. A sweat-fest with 3 hairy guys and a little dog on an old boat with a solid-teak deck is my idea of a nightmare.<_<

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Yeah, I watched the first video in that series, and while the videography is great, IMO some of the script is trite. And I prefer the camera to cast an adoring eye at female rather than male crew. But that's just me.

I agree with you, it’s the weakest element. Thankfully they mostly drop it in the later eps. 

Sea Change is an amazing channel and I am so sad they stopped making videos.  Their cinematography and editing is next level.  They must be pros.  I have been touting their channel on here for years.  Still hoping for a come back.

• Like 2

I was struck by @robtoujours critique as I had come to a similar conclusion, specifically about how the camera's field of view in KTL videos often seems weirdly narrow. This gives a sort of claustrophobic feeling where you want the camera to pan around more. It's clearly not easy to film on a small boat  as you don't have a lot of angles, which is why drones help so much for the likes of Eric Aanderaa, but KTL seems tighter than lots of others. The series' languid style lends itself to lingering shots of passing scenery and not too much camera movement but somehow this doesn't work as well with the actual sailing.  Proper amateurs like Aanderaa also tend to do things like mount a GoPro  on a stick aft of the transom, which is probably a pro cinematography no no, but for watching someone operate a sailboat, especially in more sporty conditions, it really works. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Proper amateurs like Aanderaa also tend to do things like mount a GoPro  on a stick aft of the transom, which is probably a pro cinematography no no, but for watching someone operate a sailboat, especially in more sporty conditions, it really works. 

Dylan's videos are rarely about operating a sailboat.  They are mostly about the places.  And to get good footage of those places, he films in non-sporty conditions.

It all makes for a more intimate feel than the drone-and-Gopro videos.  Dylan's videos convey a sense of seeing the place through his eyes, rather the eyes of a machine.  

Yes, I’m not sure what he was using - possibly a handycam with a 24-800+ mm focal range and some dslr with a 50mm?

Especially on a boat that is way too long. The view is always wobbling around drunkenly, you can’t contextualise what is going on, you need WIDE in this situation.

The main camera on a phone is about 24mm equivalent. Movies generally use 16-35mm range. Eyesight is of course crazy wide fov, but is subjectively rendered to the brain.

A budget setup would be something like a used nikon d7200 with a Tokina 11-20 f2.8. (18-35mm ff equivalent) stick a handle on for stability and shotgun mic for sound, add polariser and variable nd filter, done. No need for latest Sony A7R or drones. 

A Sony handycam is cool as it is cheap, gimballed, and can zoom in quite far - useful on a rolling deck and zooming into shore.

now for something completely different:

• Like 1

@robtoujours, if you have a wee moment to spare from telling pro videographer Dylan how he is doing KTL videos all wrong ... maybe you'd like to tell Bob Perry how he has been designing boats all wrong for years?

Then you could tell Evans Starzinger how he went around the world wrongly. Twice.

I am sure that Bob & Evans are eager to learn from you.

• Like 1

@robtoujours, if you have a wee moment to spare from telling pro videographer Dylan how he is doing KTL videos all wrong ... maybe you'd like to tell Bob Perry how he has been designing boats all wrong for years?

Then you could tell Evans Starzinger how he went around the world wrongly. Twice.

And why would I want to do that?

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

And why would I want to do that?

Bob and Evens are probably far too bourgeoisie to bother him. Communists are normally far more interested in turning on their own kin. So being the good socialist that he is, Rob is, quite correctly, focused on ferreting out and eliminating his fellow travelers that are deviating from the true path. He probably just thought he detected the vile stench of Trotskyism in some of Dylans videos.......

• Like 2
7 hours ago, robtoujours said:

i mean since unlike all YouTubers most of his stuff is $pay to view$ it doesn’t seem to me to be unreasonable to advocate for improvements in this area, you know, as a paying customer

There are two facts to consider

1. Some of Dylan's videos predate the era of inexpensive HD digital video equipment
  2. Like all endeavors his best work is better than, well, some of his other work

I would agree that some of the early videos are not as visually satisfying as the modern eye might hope for and that there is the odd video that focuses overmuch on themes that are neither uplifting nor informative.  In between there is some fantastic work.

• Like 1
On 10/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Not always the case.

Thr videographer of the time, 1983, a 19 or 20 year old (Mitch of the local band, “G.I.”, shooting with what kind equipment...?  (I bought my first bass from him!)  Did he somehow imagine his “film” would be viewed on a global video platform one day? :-) Why would he have decided to shoot such footage?

Holy shit - I was in the Army in DC from 83 to 87 and have been in that hallway more times than I can remember.  I saw so many great bands there.  I didn't know footage like that existed.  It's breaking my heart to see it.  Sic transit gloria mundi.

8 hours ago, Elegua said:

Here's younger guy and his SO that seem pretty matter of fact about their work on a wooden boat they plan to cruise. Anyone brave enough to just take a drill and fasteners to the bottom of their boat.... 

And he swapped out those keel bolts like a boss.  Really impressive.  What is the boat though?  An Atkin Eric, maybe?

1 hour ago, low bum said:

Holy shit - I was in the Army in DC from 83 to 87 and have been in that hallway more times than I can remember.  I saw so many great bands there.  I didn't know footage like that existed.  It's breaking my heart to see it.  Sic transit gloria mundi.

Indeed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/10/03/arlington-inner-ear-studios-closing/

Punk never was meant to last, tho. Iconoclastic rather than iconic. Moody Blues are still playing their greatest hits with your local philharmonic.:rolleyes:

Fuck that noise.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Munz said:

Bob and Evens are probably far too bourgeoisie to bother him. Communists are normally far more interested in turning on their own kin. So being the good socialist that he is, Rob is, quite correctly, focused on ferreting out and eliminating his fellow travelers that are deviating from the true path. He probably just thought he detected the vile stench of Trotskyism in some of Dylans videos.......

Well-observed, Munz.  That Communist vengeance against small differences is also very similar to the Christian pursuit of heretics, which was wonderfully parodied by Emo Philips:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Punk never was meant to last, tho. Iconoclastic rather than iconic. Moody Blues are still playing their greatest hits with your local philharmonic.:rolleyes:

Fuck that noise.

To be fair to The Moody Blues, their muzak does have one achievement: displacing The Eagles from top slot on the most-overplayed-boring-shite-evah list.

8 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

There are two facts to consider

1. Some of Dylan's videos predate the era of inexpensive HD digital video equipment
  2. Like all endeavors his best work is better than, well, some of his other work

I would agree that some of the early videos are not as visually satisfying as the modern eye might hope for and that there is the odd video that focuses overmuch on themes that are neither uplifting nor informative.  In between there is some fantastic work.

That’s a good point, only I think it’s fair to say that my main issue with /some parts/ of his eps is lens choice and lighting. Filmmakers have been using these focal lengths for over a century and lighting your scene is well understood by media professionals. 

Modern tech like mirrorless cameras add in camera image stabilisation and improve dynamic range. Which are nice to have but irrelevant if you won’t get the basics right.

Re class position, Dylan is not a member of the bourgeoisie. If he were, he would be employing others to make the videos for him. 

That joke quoted above is as well worn as the one about the US battleship vs the lighthouse. 

I prefer the classic Monty Python scene:

8 hours ago, low bum said:

And he swapped out those keel bolts like a boss.  Really impressive.  What is the boat though?  An Atkin Eric, maybe?

His bronze work is pretty good too... Too bad he's not more prolific.  Probably too busy doing. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Elegua said:

His bronze work is pretty good too... Too bad he's not more prolific.  Probably too busy doing. 

Amazing boat (also has dyneema rigging). More info on the woodenboat forum, search for "ketch Julia" if your interested.....

• Like 3

Speaking of classic boat restorations, I don’t think I’ve seen this one posted before:

She is the ex FCF Challenger / Creightons Naturally ..

Done by a pretty normal cruising couple. (Husband being a shipwright). Some amazing work. 

7 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Indeed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/10/03/arlington-inner-ear-studios-closing/

Fuck that noise.

Yes - saw that about Inner Ear Studios.  Arlington County continues its inevitable bourgeois-ification. 

Indeed, punk was never meant to last —despite what the Exploited screamed in 1983 about punk not being dead (it was certainly a lot deader than its earlier late-70s blossoming of creativity and political protest that later degenerated into skinhead bands and the like).  It’s now deader than the Wild We Roamer’s naive sailing “dreams”, crushed by a puppy, among other things.

The “sad” thing about the passing of Inner Ear Studios is the passing of some actual, homegrown local DC culture, a town cursed by the quadrennial comings and going’s of political power seekers, “consultants”, associated hangers-on, etc, to the detriment of its local soul/arts scene/culture.  RIP Inner Ear.  Got to be hard for the local music folks who’ve been supported by Don Zientara all these decades.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Munz said:

Amazing boat (also has dyneema rigging). More info on the woodenboat forum, search for "ketch Julia" if your interested.....

Thanks! I'll take a look.