Jump to content

Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Elegua said:

Dude, you have some catching up to do :)  It’s a crazy story and sadly true.  Sculpin lost his boat but he had nothing to do with it. 

Well where's the thread?  Sculp is one of the forum's good people. This is an undeserved tragedy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Ah, I see. I rarely venture into SA because I simply don't race enough and I'm not hard-core enough.

So, I've read the full story. Holy fuck, @sculpin I feel terrible. That boat was damned special.  I don't have an ounce of sympathy for the cunt who drowned on it though. Looking at the beacon location, he was waaaaaaaaay out there. 

Any progress with the insurance company?  Let's say a payout cheque was forthcoming. What are your thoughts on a replacement boat?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I think Bobby may be the guy living just under the radar but partying all the way to the bank on YT.

Who else can take his harem to Phuket to sail? All he has to do is pitch the charter company, and do an ad for testosterone testing ("I spend my time with people a lot younger than me").

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2021 at 1:32 AM, olaf hart said:

It’s all about getting your money out of China and into negotiable assets…

Bingo. (At least for Canadian cities like Toronto and Vancouver). We have a ton of empty condos bought by overseas investors. Huge lack of supply for the local population.

I wish our government would do something like NZ and just ban foreign ownership. It won't happen due to a large Asian voting population with links/relatives with money in Canadian real estate. Currently we have an empty homes tax that is slowly rising.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Bingo. (At least for Canadian cities like Toronto and Vancouver). We have a ton of empty condos bought by overseas investors. Huge lack of supply for the local population.

I wish our government would do something like NZ and just ban foreign ownership. It won't happen due to a large Asian voting population with links/relatives with money in Canadian real estate. Currently we have an empty homes tax that is slowly rising.

Hawaii has this problem too.  It's terrible.  Also all the Transient Vacation Rentals taking units out of the rental pool for local people.  Frustration is mounting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Poor divil.  Yer man does seem to be a sort of a shit magnet.

And his hot girlfriend left him....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Hawaii has this problem too.  It's terrible.  Also all the Transient Vacation Rentals taking units out of the rental pool for local people.  Frustration is mounting.

It is, mounting. I have a lot of interest in places that are changing zoning toward higher density housing. Not without it's problems but higher density housing will become more common. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Laurent said:

Very informative video... but it is recycled, if I may say. He got that accident at least one year ago.

See his video from October 2020...

 

Didn't realize he'd recycled that one.  One thing I like about the guy is that he seems knowledgeable, a competent sailor, and he's self sufficient  In any case, It popped up on my YouBoob choices and I looked yesterday.  I watched his vids from his Covid isolation till his girl bailed a while back so the algorithm tagged me. 

I don't follow any of these.  I watched "Stashe and Brow" in the beginning, got bored with them after they crossed from Panama to Oz, and I catch the occasional Delos or random others that I don't recall if I'm bored looking for distraction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Yeah, those lightning strike videos popped into my "recommended" queue as if they were new. Not sure why.

Because he reposted the video on his youtube channel 3 days ago. That's why I said it was "recycled"... He posted virtually the same video twice, one year apart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Laurent said:

Because he reposted the video on his youtube channel 3 days ago. That's why I said it was "recycled"... He posted virtually the same video twice, one year apart.

Another guy floundering after losing his hot woman.

I see he's interviewing a new girl this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Another guy floundering after losing his hot woman.

I see he's interviewing a new girl this week.

I doubt she will be as beautiful as Alena.  She was amazing.  Totally my type.  Yes, I was a little jelly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My friends in Panama were the ones who helped kept Peter alive by providing food while he survived covid. He's in the same anchorage in the San Blas as them right now and he and boat seem fine (no word on female company).

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

I see Soulianis is up for sale on Cruiser Fourm

They are asking a cool 62k for a 42 year old boat, that’s a cool $20k profit if they get it.
 

 iirc

Oh lord, they sank a load of boat $ into that boat…or wait a minute, they got a lot of it for free probably. But still, they won’t really make a profit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Oh lord, they sank a load of boat $ into that boat…or wait a minute, they got a lot of it for free probably. But still, they won’t really make a profit.

I understand that but I also understand the folly of trying to recoup $ from those types of “investments”.

 

plus, the boat is three or five years older than when they first purchased it and they’ve put a lot of “miles” on it since.

They should stick to seeking profit from exploiting  her arse rather than trying to exploit some gullible ‘fan’ imho…

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the category "we bought a wrecked boat unseen", I propose to you Sailing Dauntless.

They bought a Leopard 50 for.....  are you ready?....        50k !

Oh yeah, right, there is that little problem: she hit a shoal, sank, flipped over and lost the rig.

So the bottom of the starboard hull is GONE. The bottom of the port hull is crushed, because it was damaged when the salvage company put it back on the ground, due to the extra weight of the sand and mud inside. Because, of course, it had at least 4 metric tons of sand and mud inside...

The wreck was brought to the only yard in the area (Georgia) which had a lift big enough for a catamaran that much wide. They are now stuck in that location for the duration of the repair, and they are charged by the yard 250 $ per day.

Wait; let's make that 300$...

Hold on, we forgot it is high season; let's make that 400$ per day...

 

Strangely enough, they might be able to pull this one out. To my amateur, untrained, unprofessional eye, they seem to know what they are doing, and this is not their first rodeo. But man, what a project....

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Zonker said:

250/day @ 30 days = $7500/month.

How many months will this take? Many many of them. 90K for a year!

Why didn't they find a better yard with way better rates?

I agree.... but their reasoning is as following (please don't shoot the messenger):

 - it is going to be expensive to move it to any other yard, because of the oversize load (something like 26ft wide???)

 - it is going to be difficult to find a transport company willing to do it, because of the damage... (my speculation)

 - there is no other yard within 100 miles with a travel lift wide enough (their statement)

 

What I don't understand is they said first that they got an agreement (they use the word "contract" actually) at 250 a day. On the nex video, it goes up to 300, on the next video it goes up to 400 because it is september, their busy season... I don't understand; a "contract" works both ways. You agreed to pay, they agreed to the price.

My gut feeling would have been: forget about paint, and gelcoat and cosmetics, get it good enough to float again, and get it out of here... but if trully there is no other lift in the area to get it out of the water... Can a tractor and a low trailer not lift it from under the beams? This is how they are set up right now in their shed...

But on the other hand, it may have been their plan, but they got screwed on material deliveries (fiberglass, peelply, etc.) so they worked on gelcoat repair and cosmetics, in the mean time.

 

The guy is resourceful, they are talking to the manufacturer in South Africa, and get some advice/guidance. Like for instance setting the boat in the shed, only supported by the beams, so they can work on both hulls. This was approved by the manufacturer. Setting it on massive foam block is a brilliant idea, instead of a one off / one use special metal frame to be welded up...

 

This is going to be entertaining to follow...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Laurent said:

I agree.... but their reasoning is as following (please don't shoot the messenger):

 - it is going to be expensive to move it to any other yard, because of the oversize load (something like 26ft wide???)

 - it is going to be difficult to find a transport company willing to do it, because of the damage... (my speculation)

 - there is no other yard within 100 miles with a travel lift wide enough (their statement)

 

What I don't understand is they said first that they got an agreement (they use the word "contract" actually) at 250 a day. On the nex video, it goes up to 300, on the next video it goes up to 400 because it is september, their busy season... I don't understand; a "contract" works both ways. You agreed to pay, they agreed to the price.

My gut feeling would have been: forget about paint, and gelcoat and cosmetics, get it good enough to float again, and get it out of here... but if trully there is no other lift in the area to get it out of the water... Can a tractor and a low trailer not lift it from under the beams? This is how they are set up right now in their shed...

But on the other hand, it may have been their plan, but they got screwed on material deliveries (fiberglass, peelply, etc.) so they worked on gelcoat repair and cosmetics, in the mean time.

 

The guy is resourceful, they are talking to the manufacturer in South Africa, and get some advice/guidance. Like for instance setting the boat in the shed, only supported by the beams, so they can work on both hulls. This was approved by the manufacturer. Setting it on massive foam block is a brilliant idea, instead of a one off / one use special metal frame to be welded up...

 

This is going to be entertaining to follow...

Thought they were completely nuts. Scanned it - they are not completely nuts. Looks like they are having fun, They are all smiling. they have the whole fam working on it and know enough to probably pull it off and have a 2021 50 foot cat for a couple hundred thousand dollars. If that’s your thing go for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

travel width limits is a real thing. The common 70 T lift is about 23' wide I think.

Lagoon 50 = 26.7' wide. Typically that is a 150 T travel lift which is not very common in yacht facilities. More of "small shipyard size"

Didn't scan it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2021 at 1:23 AM, Israel Hands said:

Okay, I think Bobby may be the guy living just under the radar but partying all the way to the bank on YT.

Who else can take his harem to Phuket to sail? All he has to do is pitch the charter company, and do an ad for testosterone testing ("I spend my time with people a lot younger than me").

 

Any word yet on his Testosterone count?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Is 4 good?

His bimbo count is right up there. And… so are his subs and views. 4.5m views for “Bouncy Dinghy Ride”.

I bet half the catamarans sold in FL in the last year were bought by middle aged nine-to-fivers who watched “Bouncy Dinghy Ride”.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I give up. I don’t understand women. 

The menu is often disappointing, so it;s often a poor choice or nothing.

In this case, she looks like she is treating him as a case study.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The menu is often disappointing, so it;s often a poor choice or nothing.

In this case, she looks like she is treating him as a case study.  

"The odds are good, but the goods are odd" is how I've heard it expressed.

 

Watched his lightning strike series, and it kept reminding me of Ozzy Man Reviews...

"Yeah, Nah, Yeah... I was on me way to Destination Fucked"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Yes, Soulianis is for sale, and another couple moves from sailing to "homesteading"

 

Yeah and good on them. Couple of friends of mine have done that but sans boob channel and fanfare.

I did the homestead bit first so I had a base to build the boat. Summer is coming on and we'll be eating freshly picked fruit and berries for months. Looks like being a really good crop of cherries judging by the amount of fruit I can see.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Yes, Soulianis is for sale, and another couple moves from sailing to "homesteading"

 

Had to look that one up. So, homesteading is growing your own food, making your own textiles and clothes, making things you need and using off grid style renewable energy, basically? It sounds like what my young parents did with us in the late 60s/early 70s. I just remember sewing, knitting, gardening and a lot of lentils. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2021 at 6:06 PM, Elegua said:

Here's a change of pace...

Clearly built with a lot of heart and soul. 

Best quote in the vid: “We were the ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ out there.” (referring to their Canada-S. Pacific and back voyage, where they encountered many larger  boats with powered this and powered that, etc etc etc)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2021 at 2:28 AM, Israel Hands said:

Word of the day: man- struation 

 

image.pngduring

Peaking in the morning is a good thing, right? Requires careful scheduling of pill taking though, I'd imagine. ;-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Had to look that one up. So, homesteading is growing your own food, making your own textiles and clothes, making things you need and using off grid style renewable energy, basically? It sounds like what my young parents did with us in the late 60s/early 70s. I just remember sewing, knitting, gardening and a lot of lentils. 

I still have the entire set of The Mother Earth News for the initial 12 years of publication in my book cases. In fact I picked up a second set at one point to fill the missing holes in my first set. One day I really MUST do a serious book (magazine) cull.

Having a boat is off grid anyway except with a bunch of even more severe limitations. OTOH it's theoretically mobile (assuming it's not a dock queen with a power umbilical).

IMO making your own clothes is a galaxy of steps too far though. And the homesteaders don't really make their own power in any real sense - they plug together PV panels and connect them to a battery bank. Off grid is not the same thing as making your own power really.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

the homesteaders don't really make their own power in any real sense - they plug together PV panels and connect them to a battery bank. Off grid is not the same thing as making your own power really.

So what would be really making your own power?

shackling your children to a home-made treadmill which drives an alternator?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Soulianis couple are both videographers by training. I guess they realized they didn't love the sailing life (at least outside the ICW), but their videos were well-produced. So it's kinda disappointing to see them go.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

The Soulianis couple are both videographers by training. I guess they realized they didn't love the sailing life (at least outside the ICW), but their videos were well-produced. So it's kinda disappointing to see them go.

 

Agree they did some nice videos. But if they are getting to the kid-having phase of life it’s probably smart to go make videos of look at me on the farm homeschooling chickens while making organic oatmeal lattes on a wood stove. It’s a whole new batch of viewers for them and the babies on catamarans videos are mostly awful.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Best quote in the vid: “We were the ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ out there.” (referring to their Canada-S. Pacific and back voyage, where they encountered many larger  boats with powered this and powered that, etc etc etc)

Yes, that was a good quote. It's funny what people think is easier to maintain. He's a shipwright, so of course woodwork is what's easy for him. I probably feel more comfortable fixing software and fiberglass than woodwork. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Yes, that was a good quote. It's funny what people think is easier to maintain. He's a shipwright, so of course woodwork is what's easy for him. I probably feel more comfortable fixing software and fiberglass than woodwork. 

I suspect he “fixes” wood very rarely on that boat - just maintenance (a fair bit of it).  Other than that, a very low technostress (oops: that’s actually an iPhone autosuggest/correct word when I started typing t-e-c-h..., wanting to type “low-tech”, so I’m going to go with it) —- a very low technostress boat.  A good thing to strive for with a long distance ocean cruiser on a budget, me thinks (no power winches, etc. etc. etc), whether wood or fibreglass.  Low technostress :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I suspect he “fixes” wood very rarely on that boat - just maintenance (a fair bit of it).  Other than that, a very low technostress (oops: that’s actually an iPhone autosuggest/correct word when I started typing t-e-c-h..., wanting to type “low-tech”, so I’m going to go with it) —- a very low technostress boat.  A good thing to strive for with a long distance ocean cruiser on a budget, me thinks (no power winches, etc. etc. etc), whether wood or fibreglass.  Low technostress :-)

That seems to be #woodenboatlife.  I'm am ignorant, so I fear it. Simple boats are happy boats. The struggle to keep a boat, efficient, comfortable and simple is real. I'm really trying hard not to gild the lily as I do final prep this Winter.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

So what would be really making your own power?

shackling your children to a home-made treadmill which drives an alternator?

I actually still have great granddad’s “horse power.”  Or at least all the metal parts.  It could drive all sorts of things - threshing machine, cross-cut saw, circular saw.  It’s a massive reduction gear that spins the output shaft pretty darned fast.  

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Best quote in the vid: “We were the ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ out there.” (referring to their Canada-S. Pacific and back voyage, where they encountered many larger  boats with powered this and powered that, etc etc etc)

In my short jaunt up the coast I met many...well, most people had larger, "nicer" boats than mine.  I felt no jealousy at all. I was just happy to be out there.

If I could just get the topsides painted that would go a long ways towards sprucing her up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

In my short jaunt up the coast I met many...well, most people had larger, "nicer" boats than mine.  I felt no jealousy at all. I was just happy to be out there.

If I could just get the topsides painted that would go a long ways towards sprucing her up.

Well, that’s prolly cuz it’s the East Coast US - where almost literally many of the “1%” of the planet live?  I suspect that there’s much greater variety of boats farther afield?  Totally agree - I’ve got simple needs as far as how the boat “looks” - #1 priority now is mechanical reliability, functionality and sail handling.  I’ll paint that topsides again at some point (they’re only 3.5!yrs old but looking tattered...my very old but incredibly well-wearing Vetus non-skid is starting to fail, making things look kinda tattered.  Oh well - a project for another summer! :-) )

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Yes, Soulianis is for sale, and another couple moves from sailing to "homesteading"

 

This shit keeps appearing my YT “homepage”.  Why would I possibly want to click on a vid of some chick wearing a “bougie” faux lumberjack shirt in front of a house, hamming it up with her husband, clearly (bad) acting - instead of their sailing vids (which, judging by the name of their channel, I assume they have).

So many more interesting looking vids appeared on my YT feed/homepage below that landlocked sailor vid.  Sheesh, people, go sailing and make cool vids.  Don’t fucking homestead and call yourself a “sailing” channel! :-)

Maybe, per the video’s title below, update the channel name to Real Life Channel and show laundry, dishes, floor sweeping, etc?  I may possibly watch if it shows her chopping winter firewood.

42769AE3-7D36-4F09-B1D4-111051DA225E.jpeg

94E5D53E-9DF7-4CC5-9CE1-E93A73B3F48E.jpeg

96FA6736-C613-4792-A0FF-8D2B9C266F31.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

So what would be really making your own power?

shackling your children to a home-made treadmill which drives an alternator?

Builds character! Also, unless you are mining, smelting, and shaping your own metals from scratch, even most homebrew RE systems are not 'off the grid.' Classic case is certain anabaptist communities who refuse the electric grid but will run machinery off a diesel-powered lineshaft.

We do make our own power. But we did not make the things that make our power, which is a useful reminder to the doomprepper/self-sufficiency crowd: if it does break down, it breaks down for you, also. Even Mad Max needed a petrol station, eventually.

941426-mad-max-490x332 | Lewton Bus

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always thought that Lauren from Soulianis is the best looking woman in the you-tube sailing channels.  Girl next door, and hot.  Sure there are multitudes of bikini clad women swimming with pigs, but she is way hotter than any of the others.   Oh well farm life is hard on people.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

I have always thought that Lauren from Soulianis is the best looking woman in the you-tube sailing channels.  Girl next door, and hot.  Sure there are multitudes of bikini clad women swimming with pigs, but she is way hotter than any of the others.   Oh well farm life is hard on people.  

... or swimming with douchebags, on certain channels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

Builds character! Also, unless you are mining, smelting, and shaping your own metals from scratch, even most homebrew RE systems are not 'off the grid.' Classic case is certain anabaptist communities who refuse the electric grid but will run machinery off a diesel-powered lineshaft.

We do make our own power. But we did not make the things that make our power, which is a useful reminder to the doomprepper/self-sufficiency crowd: if it does break down, it breaks down for you, also. Even Mad Max needed a petrol station, eventually.

941426-mad-max-490x332 | Lewton Bus

Good point. You should see the number of jerry cans on he average cruiser. Enough for even the Lord Humongous. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dogscout said:

I have always thought that Lauren from Soulianis is the best looking woman in the you-tube sailing channels.  Girl next door, and hot.  Sure there are multitudes of bikini clad women swimming with pigs, but she is way hotter than any of the others.   Oh well farm life is hard on people.  

You probably remember the one where she had a couple of drinks and told her man that he needed to "clean the sand out of her bits." :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to point you to Christian Herzog's short films from his trips around the German parts of the North Sea, sailing to the wadden sea in his latest video on a bilge keel Moody.

He is an excellent young film maker in my view. Not only for sailors, this film captures the atmosphere of this landscape and the wildlife in it very nicely:

Oh, did I mention it's German? 

It's mostly birdsong, anyway :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Matagi said:

I'd like to point you to Christian Herzog's short films from his trips around the German parts of the North Sea, sailing to the wadden sea in his latest video on a bilge keel Moody.

He is an excellent young film maker in my view. Not only for sailors, this film captures the atmosphere of this landscape and the wildlife in it very nicely:

Oh, did I mention it's German? 

It's mostly birdsong, anyway :)

it's kinda @dylan winter in German

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

shallow sailing, cold weather, lots of birds, no tits, well shot, nicely audio mixed

 

and......

 

135 hits

 

there are easier ways of earning 13 cents

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianHerzogSternaFilms/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

 

Thank God some of you are dedicated masochists.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Elegua said:

Good point. You should see the number of jerry cans on he average cruiser. Enough for even the Lord Humongous. 

Quote

You sent your ship out with a whole half tank of gazzoline. What a puny plan.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2021 at 10:36 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This shit keeps appearing my YT “homepage”

*snip*

42769AE3-7D36-4F09-B1D4-111051DA225E.jpeg

I followed these folk... they have the same drama that everyone else has in life (kid, pandemic, dying parents), but they snagged my eye when they downsized from their cat to a Westerly Cirrus 22. If two adults can make do for a summer on a 22' boat, I should be living in the lap of luxury on my 26' Centaur.

Then they moved back onto their cat. If'n I remember right, she showed off their yogurt maker, and I lost complete interest. That ain't the sort of sailboat life I want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Lucky One said:

Then they moved back onto their cat. If'n I remember right, she showed off their yogurt maker, and I lost complete interest. That ain't the sort of sailboat life I want.

I guess you could hang the yak off davits, but it still seems complicated.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

I guess you could hang the yak off davits, but it still seems complicated.

Who needs davits?

Quote

Their thick, wooly coats protect them in temperatures lower than -40 degrees Fahrenheit. They can swim in almost frozen waters without reducing their body temperature too much.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

I guess you could hang the yak off davits, but it still seems complicated.

Never seen a yak in person before, but I don't think that would improve their disposition much. Having an ornery half-ton or so hairy animal slung off the rear of the boat sound like a problem I'd rather not have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Lucky One said:

Never seen a yak in person before, but I don't think that would improve their disposition much. Having an ornery half-ton or so hairy animal slung off the rear of the boat sound like a problem I'd rather not have.

Skip Novak seems to sail around with some sort of animal strung up on the davits/arch.  I'm sure he's got his reasons, but it was a little distracting watching this video.  One minute I was following along his advice on heaving to, and the next minute (about 2:40 in the vid) I glance past him, and I'm thinking "Dude, wtf is that?"

image.png.0739eec2d599154908cc4b4e333f90af.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Ohhhhj......I thought you meant she flashed/showed off her tatas...

I'd never confess it in mixed company, but I am a red blooded male. I might've skipped ahead through the video to catch a peek of tatas, if a pair of tatas in reasonable quality were presented. No, I'm afraid actual household appliances were discussed instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

Skip Novak seems to sail around with some sort of animal strung up on the davits/arch.  I'm sure he's got his reasons, but it was a little distracting watching this video.  One minute I was following along his advice on heaving to, and the next minute (about 2:40 in the vid) I glance past him, and I'm thinking "Dude, wtf is that?"

image.png.0739eec2d599154908cc4b4e333f90af.png

 

Oh, shit!  And all this time when I saw that video’s title, I thought “How to heave to” meant Moustache Skip was gunna show how to heave that big animal carcass up to the rigging to dry and cure! :-)

I’ve seriously always wanted to dry meat - we eat air-dried and smoked salmon relatively frequently, when gifted it by relatives and friends.  But having a deer or lamb between my twin backstays might be a good look.

3333F519-FCBC-4236-8D7F-9E6B44505603.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

Agnus dei. There's a whole mythology a'building in sheppy circles about that cruciform ovid. Featuring Skip Novak as Pontius Pilate.

e747fe726026466db4ef86c8fd26fc2e.jpg

"He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places."

 

When exactly did Novak do this? Because there's a description in Annie Hill's book 'Brazil and Beyond' where Jerome Poncet in Damien II used to sail off with a sheep carcase hanging off of the aft rigging/backstay. Obviously nothing particularly noteworthy once you get to cold places like the Falklands.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites