Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

I guess you could hang the yak off davits, but it still seems complicated.

Never seen a yak in person before, but I don't think that would improve their disposition much. Having an ornery half-ton or so hairy animal slung off the rear of the boat sound like a problem I'd rather not have.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Posted Images

11 hours ago, The Lucky One said:

Never seen a yak in person before, but I don't think that would improve their disposition much. Having an ornery half-ton or so hairy animal slung off the rear of the boat sound like a problem I'd rather not have.

Skip Novak seems to sail around with some sort of animal strung up on the davits/arch.  I'm sure he's got his reasons, but it was a little distracting watching this video.  One minute I was following along his advice on heaving to, and the next minute (about 2:40 in the vid) I glance past him, and I'm thinking "Dude, wtf is that?"

image.png.0739eec2d599154908cc4b4e333f90af.png

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Ohhhhj......I thought you meant she flashed/showed off her tatas...

I'd never confess it in mixed company, but I am a red blooded male. I might've skipped ahead through the video to catch a peek of tatas, if a pair of tatas in reasonable quality were presented. No, I'm afraid actual household appliances were discussed instead.

3 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

Skip Novak seems to sail around with some sort of animal strung up on the davits/arch.  I'm sure he's got his reasons, but it was a little distracting watching this video.  One minute I was following along his advice on heaving to, and the next minute (about 2:40 in the vid) I glance past him, and I'm thinking "Dude, wtf is that?"

image.png.0739eec2d599154908cc4b4e333f90af.png

Oh, shit!  And all this time when I saw that video’s title, I thought “How to heave to” meant Moustache Skip was gunna show how to heave that big animal carcass up to the rigging to dry and cure! :-)

I’ve seriously always wanted to dry meat - we eat air-dried and smoked salmon relatively frequently, when gifted it by relatives and friends.  But having a deer or lamb between my twin backstays might be a good look.

3333F519-FCBC-4236-8D7F-9E6B44505603.jpeg

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

Agnus dei. There's a whole mythology a'building in sheppy circles about that cruciform ovid. Featuring Skip Novak as Pontius Pilate.

e747fe726026466db4ef86c8fd26fc2e.jpg

"He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places."

When exactly did Novak do this? Because there's a description in Annie Hill's book 'Brazil and Beyond' where Jerome Poncet in Damien II used to sail off with a sheep carcase hanging off of the aft rigging/backstay. Obviously nothing particularly noteworthy once you get to cold places like the Falklands.

FKT

14 hours ago, Zonker said:

Pretty sure it's a lamb. Natural refrigeration.

I eventually figured it was something like that.  But on first catching a glimpse of it, headless and crucified upside down, I briefly entertained the possibility it was there to ward off evil spirits.

Wynns update: our perky, positive people are the latest victims of the storefront sailmaking scam disaster business model.

"Paid Final Invoice & We're Ghosted"

Ah, there was your mistake. I hand you the final check when you hand me the finished sail. There are some shockingly unethical pricks in the offshore sailmaking racket. Gotta limit your exposure!

5 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Wynns update: our perky, positive people are the latest victims of the storefront sailmaking scam disaster business model.

Ah, there was your mistake. I hand you the final check when you hand me the finished sail. There are some shockingly unethical pricks in the offshore sailmaking racket. Gotta limit your exposure!

Full circle back to this thread in SA:

5 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

The thing that puzzles me is why didn't they pay by credit card?

In the UK and Ireland, the credit card issuer has to repay you if the goods/service are not up to scratch and the vendor doesn't sort it out.   Is it the same with American credit cards?

2 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

In the UK and Ireland, the credit card issuer has to repay you if the goods/service are not up to scratch and the vendor doesn't sort it out.   Is it the same with American credit cards?

That's the way it works in Canada. However, not everyone takes credit cards, and those that do are giving up a portion of the money to the card issuer. And then there are some who have been kicked off the cc platform for bad performance.

22 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That's the way it works in Canada. However, not everyone takes credit cards, and those that do are giving up a portion of the money to the card issuer. And then there are some who have been kicked off the cc platform for bad performance.

The latter is a good reason to avoid businesses which don't take credit cards

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

There is often a time limit imposed on chargebacks -- many credit cards require a claim to be filed in 60 days, many bank credit/debit cards within 30 days. Might be the case here, where they kept being assured the sails were in transit.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2021 at 8:13 PM, MauiPunter said:

Doesn't the meat spoil?

Acording to USDA

A whole, uncut dry cured or country ham can be stored safely at room temperature for up to one year. After one year, the ham is safe but the quality may suffer.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Acording to USDA

A whole, uncut dry cured or country ham can be stored safely at room temperature for up to one year. After one year, the ham is safe but the quality may suffer.

Kinda depends if your room is in Buenos Aires or Katimavik, I would think.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Acording to USDA

When I were a lad growing up on a rural farm in Ireland in the 70’s we’d kill a pig a couple of times a year.

We had no refrigerator so The pig was dressed and most of it was lightly boiled in water then it was placed in a tea chest obtained from the local shop owner.

The meat was packed in layers of salt in said tea chest and stored in a room.

When it came time to use the meat, it would again be boiled with care taken to remove the “frothy salt” from the top of the pot during the cooking process.

The used tea chests looked something like the image below if memory serves me correctly.

B8B22B8F-540E-4B25-9D37-CD6592983451.jpeg

3 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

... didn't it die the first time?  (rimshot)

I
————-
A preacher was walking down a country road when he saw the strangest thing; a pig walking around on three legs.  The preacher stopped at the farmhouse and asked the farmer, “My son, why does your pig only have three legs?”
“Well,” said the farmer, “that there pig is special. One time my wife stepped out of the kitchen for a moment while cooking and a fire started. The pig came running inside with a pail of water and saved me, my wife, and our kids.” 
“That’s amazing sir but why does that pig only have three legs?” said the man. 
“Oh,” said the preacher, “it sounds like a smart pig, but what about its missing leg?”
“Well,” the farmer replied to the preacher ignoring his question, “just 2 months ago, I was working on my tractor and the jack fell and the tractor was crushing me. I yelled for help and the pig rushed to my rescue, dug me out and pulled me out of harm’s way.”
“Wow,” said the preacher, “that’s one brave pig but its leg,  it is missing its… .”
“Like I said preacher,”  the farmer interjected, “this pig is very special to my family.  We just can’t bring ourselves to eat it all at once.”
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Kinda depends if your room is in Buenos Aires or Katimavik, I would think.

Hmm, I actually always sorta thought that “room temperature” had a generally accepted meaning (perhaps even definition), as around 16C/60F (just like a “jiffy”, as a unit of time, actually has a very specific meaning, depending how it’s used).

13 hours ago, chester said:

yowza!  if i had to deal with stuffing box and shaft issues, i'd want her there!

P.S. she reminds me of Piper and that's a good thing

The part where he’s got his hands around his shaft, gripping it firmly, and then in the next scene, she’s there too working it with her hands - artful cinematography.

1 minute ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The part where he’s got his hands around his shaft, gripping it firmly, and then in the next scene, she’s there too working it with her hands - artful cinematography.

yes they played the whole ting as a double entendre and the Frau put on that top with lace edged plunging neck line??  Well fucking done,  they are really gettin' the hang of this thing!

12 minutes ago, chester said:

yes they played the whole ting as a double entendre and the Frau put on that top with lace edged plunging neck line??  Well fucking done,  they are really gettin' the hang of this thing!

I think it's a fine channel. It's like some kind of Green-Acres-on-a-boat meets "happy birthday Mr. President." Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

5 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I think it's a fine channel. It's like some kind of Green-Acres-on-a-boat meets "happy birthday Mr. President." Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

can't go wrong with that approach!!!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Hmm, I actually always sorta thought that “room temperature” had a generally accepted meaning (perhaps even definition), as around 16C/60F (just like a “jiffy”, as a unit of time, actually has a very specific meaning, depending how it’s used).

In microbiology, where we have to be sorta precise about these things, but can’t afford too many different environmental chambers, the “room temperature” chamber is usually 20°C.  But yeah, there are people who use 25, or 22 for some reason.  Maybe that literally is what their lab thermostat is set at.  

4 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

This is sooo annoying. Fahrenheit is so elegant, and easier to spell. 

I am of the generation of schizophrenic Canadians who grew up learning both the Metric and English (American) measurement systems. Kilometers and millimeters make a lot of sense, although I do use inches and feet when doing carpentry (I must be a masochist for fractions - dividing by 10 is so much easier). But for temperature, the Celsius degree is too damn big. If the temperature drops 1 °C, I'm starting to feel chilly; 1 °F is barely noticeable. Still, I like that water goes hard a 0 °C ...that's a sensible thing. Its getting pretty fucking cold at 0 °F. And don't get me started on fluid measures, especially when referring to alcoholic beverages, and American quarts to English pints, or proof versus ABV...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

I am of the generation of schizophrenic Canadians who grew up learning both the Metric and English (American) measurement systems. Kilometers and millimeters make a lot of sense, although I do use inches and feet when doing carpentry (I must be a masochist for fractions - dividing by 10 is so much easier). But for temperature, the Celsius degree is too damn big. If the temperature drops 1 °C, I'm starting to feel chilly; 1 °F is barely noticeable. Still, I like that water goes hard a 0 °C ...that's a sensible thing. Its getting pretty fucking cold at 0 °F. And don't get me started on fluid measures, especially when referring to alcoholic beverages, and American quarts to English pints, or proof versus ABV...

at -40 its all the same

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Stupidly tiny rudders on big amatuer built behemoth

I am so sick of repeating ads in the middle of the screen. My current revenge is to turn off the video. I encourage others to do the same, and leave a comment.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I am so sick of repeating ads in the middle of the screen. My current revenge is to turn off the video. I encourage others to do the same, and leave a comment.

I don't see any ads and I watched that video last night.

Anyway I wish them luck with it. Hope they find someone who knows what they're doing with those plastic rudder bushings. I've made some of those myself for big shaft sizes. It really pays to follow the material manufacturer's instructions on clearance allowances. Unless the owner likes having things done twice anyway.

WRT Dylan's comment, there's sometimes a very, very big difference between amateur built and amateur designed. If the builder follows the design, and it's a problem, it's not the builder's fault, it's the designer.

Now if the amateur fucks with the design, that's all on them.

I was very careful with mine not to fuck with Tom's lines or rig placement in any way whatsoever. Only the interior.

FKT

On 11/8/2021 at 12:37 AM, Diarmuid said:

They fell for an obvious scam.

They went with some foreign sail-maker 3 continents away, over the internet who provided a "too good to be true" price and even paid in full for no product whatsoever. Fuck, they even added to their order after the original product ordered wasn't delivered.

I wonder if they ever fell for the Nigerian prince scam as well?

Buy local 101 right here. If you are spending $30k on sails, go to a reputable sail-maker locally, DON'T PAY THEM UNTIL THE SAILS HAVE ARRIVED, ARE ON THE BOAT AND ARE AS ORDERED.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2021 at 4:37 PM, Diarmuid said:

So, the Wynns' video got 250k views.  And then thigs started hapening, per this comment by them on their video, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjSNtWbx8oI&lc=Ugx6L0JvWEquZoKwZdF4AaABAg

Good News! The CEO of One Sails (Dede De luca) has reached out to us and said they are looking to help us sort out the problem. He has given us his personal phone number so we can talk, which we really appreciate. Surprisingly, we’ve also received an email from Belinda. We’ll keep you in the loop as things progress. Thank you all for your support!

Note that they had previously contacted One Sails, but got a brush off.

Alas, our boy Hugo is having a bad week over in the Mini Transat.  He seems to have turned west long before the butter melted, and sailed into a massive hole.  This dropped him from second, to second-last over the last few days, as the fleet sailed by to the south of him.

That's gotta hurt.

http://minitransat.geovoile.com/2021/tracker/

13 hours ago, dylan winter said:

Stupidly tiny rudders on big amatuer built behemoth

I am not an expert in French, high latitude boats but, while Arktika is indeed a behemoth, its neither amateur-built nor amateur-designed. She's not pretty to my eye, but definitely purposeful and well-built:

META ARCTIC VOYAGER 47

DESIGNER: Joubert - Nivelt

BUILT: Meta Chantier Naval (1984)

I'm not sure if the tiny rudders were in the original design, but they're fixed now...

23 minutes ago, dylan winter said:

Pro all round then

Apologies to Pro builder and Pro designer

But still looks like steering gear designed for a planing mobo to this trained ag engineer

D

Agreed. Looking at the drawings, I would guess that the Meta Arctic Voyager 47 was designed as a rugged motor cruiser with an option for an auxiliary sailing rig. Definitely mobo rudders.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

So, the Wynns' video got 250k views.  And then thigs started hapening,

That's one reason I seeded the video on this forum. Sucks that some businesses are only motivated by damage control, but sometimes those people need a little ahem-there's-water-in-your-bilge wakeup.

"Hole." {points}

"Bucket."  {hands}

"Bail."

BTW, Nikki & Jason used a similar tactic to help a fellow boater who was dying of cancer and couldn't get a particular medication. The pharma company, hearing themselves named and shamed, went out of their way to get him the meds.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I don't see any ads and I watched that video last night.

Anyway I wish them luck with it. Hope they find someone who knows what they're doing with those plastic rudder bushings. I've made some of those myself for big shaft sizes. It really pays to follow the material manufacturer's instructions on clearance allowances. Unless the owner likes having things done twice anyway.

WRT Dylan's comment, there's sometimes a very, very big difference between amateur built and amateur designed. If the builder follows the design, and it's a problem, it's not the builder's fault, it's the designer.

Now if the amateur fucks with the design, that's all on them.

I was very careful with mine not to fuck with Tom's lines or rig placement in any way whatsoever. Only the interior.

FKT

I worked in a shipyard like that one in the Faroes building and caring for trawlers:  they will have machinists who know all about that type of bearing.  And have a stock.

4 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Sucks that some businesses are only motivated by damage control, but sometimes those people need a little ahem-there's-water-in-your-bilge wakeup.

I am glad that the Wynns may now get some resolution, but the whole saga still reflects very badly on One Sails. 

I could have some small residue of respect for them if their structures were so broken that they couldn't do anything to help.  But the fact they start fixing when the pressure gets high enough just shows them to be cynical bullies focused on what they can get away with 

Found a new channel. I'll follow these folk: They're in a Westerly Centaur; they're on my side of the Atlantic; two folk living on a 26' boat. What's not to like?

Oh, for the love of... not even a minute into the second episode, they've already broken out the Great Stuff spray foam. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Presuming Ed said:

Racing, not cruising (sorry!)

Illusions (12’ keelboats) in the UK. 

Only thing you need to apologise for is making my homesick! That's my old fleet from Bembridge, Isle of Wight. Super people, with a lot of great sailors to learn from. The season runs from October until April. They race on weekends when there's high water during daylight (roughly every other weekend). If anyone fancies joining them I happen to know two boats for sale, as there's not much of a fleet here in France.

Dylan did a nice film about them on KTL many years ago (just before my time, I think).

On 10/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, Israel Hands said:

Oh lord, they sank a load of boat $ into that boat…or wait a minute, they got a lot of it for free probably. But still, they won’t really make a profit.

Apparently it soulianis has been sold.

I wonder what it fetched?

7 hours ago, Priscilla said:

The cabin trunk was a disaster just my opinion…

AB67693D-E9B9-4429-A166-89E07082625E.png.6e3af76716305ce1a12b424872281e33.png83E0D546-64AF-41BE-87B8-FF598390F3CD.thumb.jpeg.3e2e2845e085995c2d38ff327e3f39ee.jpeg

I don't ... hate it. But the spacing looks like eyelets on a leather shoe. Some draftsman just ticked the quarter points and stuck four ports in. What if the aftmost light was replaced with an nice 16" oval? Dash-dot-dot-dot.

21 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I just reslized, because of the ports, this boat is not a Spirit Yacht. I thought it was LIBERTINE, a Spirit yacht I've photographed. Looking closely, the ports are wrong. This boat has better proportions: 

484830235_Libertinemoored.thumb.jpg.d58df5b0fb7dc59f5cedc7b19bf4231f.jpg

Anyone know what it is? 

Looks very International 8 Metre-ish.

https://tayloryachtdesigns.com/designs/8m-pleione/

1567C0BA-E746-48B7-910A-E7FBE9A0AE24.thumb.jpeg.1e6ae22e352f6d1433dfd1f457f4bef4.jpeg

• Like 1
On 11/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Elegua said:

Simple boats are happy boats.

7 hours ago, Metrognome said:

The admiral calls it 'boat camping' and it does not make her happy.  Sigh.

I've no direct experience, but my observations suggest that boats with admirals are rarely simple. 

• Like 2