Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

Spirit seems to think that long overhangs, varnish, mahogany and teak will blind you to poor design aesthetics.  Well, if you can fool some of the people, some of the time....

• Like 1
  • Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

I have watched these last few posts with interest I agree that I should put more effort in...... I also a agree that film making has changed. In one vid I made there was a 45 second shot....

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

It seems to be that the Spirit 111 is kinda the ultimate exhibition of the whole style-over-substance theme of the Spirit yachts, complete with the poor sense of style.

It looks like a boat for party animals

Jerry Falwell Jr. Is Stepping Back From Liberty University After A Photo Of  Him With His Pants Unzipped

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Yeah, but all those strains would have been there whatever they tried to do together.   The boat just happened to be the setting for where they played out this wee tragedy.

I can see the pressures which led her to take that risk.  I am less clear why he dived in so deep to such a risky adventure.  It seems to me that it would have been better if he hadn't sold up everything back home before setting off. Better to say  "I will sail with you to Caribbean, then we'll see where we are at".

She claims he has a higher risk tolerance. She may be right. 

He's also a Saffie. They generally prefer to live most places other than ZA despite constantly missing it.  SE Florida has a surprising number. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Elegua said:

She claims he has a higher risk tolerance. She may be right. 

He's also a Saffie. They generally prefer to live most places other than ZA despite constantly missing it.  SE Florida has a surprising number. 

Ah, that makes sense.

She needed him a crew for her adventures and replacement for her soulmate.  He needed her as his ticket out of Seth Efrica.  Both allowed the plan to obscure the crucial questions of whether they were actually compatible personalities.

It's not an uncommon situation.  I knew several couples of my parent's generation (born 1930s) who made their lives a misery by marrying someone who had shared social connections and a shared desire to marry&breed ... and then spent miserable decades resenting each other in a society where there was no divorce.

At least these two seem to parting with some mutual respect, even if that's only for the camera.  But now she is left with her boat safely across the Atlantic, and he has blown up his old life.

2 hours ago, Elegua said:

Wait, what? I shouldn't go to sea with a new romantic partner I picked up right after the person I've been with for yonks dies tragically in a pandemic because the new person might behave in a somewhat different manner than my former partner and I may have unresolved feelings? Who'd a thunk? On the other hand, I really need my boat moved and I can't do it myself. 

Yeah I could see that one coming.  I discovered that "channel" right before he died - I liked some of his no nonsene ideas, then he up and died.  Naturally as soon as he's gone there was this sort of Patrick shaped object in the very next video, all smiles, and we're off to the races.  I guess she makes a little money from youtube and wants to keep that rolling, or maybe it's just narcissism, thinking that x-thousand people care if you're alive or dead.  And then what do I care what somebody does with their boat or their butt - it's only the warped fisheye lens of the internet that makes this even a thing.  It shames us all - the watchers and the watched.  

2 minutes ago, low bum said:

Yeah I could see that one coming.  I discovered that "channel" right before he died - I liked some of his no nonsene ideas, then he up and died.  Naturally as soon as he's gone there was this sort of Patrick shaped object in the very next video, all smiles, and we're off to the races.  I guess she makes a little money from youtube and wants to keep that rolling, or maybe it's just narcissism, thinking that x-thousand people care if you're alive or dead.  And then what do I care what somebody does with their boat or their butt - it's only the warped fisheye lens of the internet that makes this even a thing.  It shames us all - the watchers and the watched.  

They've been blogging and writing articles for millennia. I think she is very pragmatic and careful. The boat is an important asset to her. She takes good care of it and anyone who isn't at the level of seamanship of her late partner is suspect.  It makes me suspect there was a bit of a "deal" in the last relationship that to be fair, worked well for both parties for a long time. We should all be so lucky. 

Patrick could be a bit Usanian centric, but I really liked his advice. It was one of the more real-content channels. I was bummed when he passed. 

• Like 2

I stopped watching when Patrick died but prior to that she doesn't strike me as narcissistic at all. She seems like a genuinely nice person. I think the channel was more Patrick's baby and she participated when he asked her to contribute content. Patrick was lucky to have found her.

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

It seems to be that the Spirit 111 is kinda the ultimate exhibition of the whole style-over-substance theme of the Spirit yachts, complete with the poor sense of style.

At 111' it would be completely custom, maybe the owner had some input....

13 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

At 111' it would be completely custom, maybe the owner had some input....

Yes, the write-ups (or was it a video?) explained how all the curvy interior shite was the vision of the young owner. 

There's some karma there.  The young punk makes tons of money, by capturing some revenue stream or  making some successful asset speculation, or whatever other tricks are needed to get rich quick.  Then he decides to take enough of that money to build more than a hundred homes in the days when the state used to build homes for their people giving tax breaks to people who want superyachts ... and he's going to use it to buy a big fuck-you yacht.

Not just any old big fuck-you yacht, but one designed to fuse modern technology with the ambience of the days when deckhands were two-a-penny, and the poor had no medical care or social safety net.  Carbon fibre, bulb keel and electronic wizardry meets acres of varnished tropical hardwood.  Eat your heart out, Gatsby.

And onto this nightmare he will impose his own creative talents, to turn his ill-gotten loot into a thing of wonder, a floating monument to display how his new money comes with the sort of refined artistic taste through which the old money looks down on everyone.

But, all that squandered money has merely created a huge and unmissable canvas on which to display his lack of design talent.  Kinda like that ultra-wealthy American dude off the TV who decorated his huge apartment in what he seems to have thought was the style of ancien regime France ... but which just ended up looking like a comically bad pastiche of the excesses of the soon-to-b-decapitated royalty.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Yes, the write-ups (or was it a video?) explained how all the curvy interior shite was the vision of the young owner. 

There's some karma there.  The young punk makes tons of money, by capturing some revenue stream or  making some successful asset speculation, or whatever other tricks are needed to get rich quick.  Then he decides to take enough of that money to build more than a hundred homes in the days when the state used to build homes for their people giving tax breaks to people who want superyachts ... and he's going to use it to buy a big fuck-you yacht.

Not just any old big fuck-you yacht, but one designed to fuse modern technology with the ambience of the days when deckhands were two-a-penny, and the poor had no medical care or social safety net.  Carbon fibre, bulb keel and electronic wizardry meets acres of varnished tropical hardwood.  Eat your heart out, Gatsby.

And onto this nightmare he will impose his own creative talents, to turn his ill-gotten loot into a thing of wonder, a floating monument to display how his new money comes with the sort of refined artistic taste through which the old money looks down on everyone.

But, all that squandered money has merely created a huge and unmissable canvas on which to display his lack of design talent.  Kinda like that ultra-wealthy American dude off the TV who decorated his huge apartment in what he seems to have thought was the style of ancien regime France ... but which just ended up looking like a comically bad pastiche of the excesses of the soon-to-b-decapitated royalty.

Wow.  I’d almost say this was poetic, philosophical, elegance Two -L.  I salute you for painting a post apoclypse eulogy for the sad ending of a member of the nouveau-riche!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

You right good. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I have a strong opinion about this thumbnail which I will keep to myself.

Without watching the video, but looking at the scenery, I will surmise that bears may be a concern.

21 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Without watching the video, but looking at the scenery, I will surmise that bears may be a concern.

Yes, I inferred that as well but it's not relevant to what's running through my brain right now.

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

I have a strong opinion about this thumbnail which I will keep to myself.

I am opposed to shooting bears unless they are rabid. I know my perspective is extreme in the minds of many so that’s all I will say about it. I didn’t like the picture. If you have to get clicks I would much rather see annoyingly gratuitous bikini thumbnails (not at 80 north, of course).

42 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

I am opposed to shooting bears unless they are rabid. I know my perspective is extreme in the minds of many so that’s all I will say about it. I didn’t like the picture. If you have to get clicks I would much rather see annoyingly gratuitous bikini thumbnails (not at 80 north, of course).

Aw, c'mon!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Yes, I inferred that as well but it's not relevant to what's running through my brain right now.

Doesn't seem like a carry that gives you quick access to the gun.

Soldiers carry their rifles in the patrol carry position when there is little to no threat. The shooting point of the rifle is always pointed towards the ground. This position is standard with infantryman because it is much safer than the older technique of just carrying the riffle over one shoulder, with the shooting end of the rifle aimed upwards.

https://www.ruckformiles.com/guides/how-do-soldiers-carry-their-rifles/

Polar bears give no fucks. Their philosophy: If it moves, it's lunch. They are 1000x more likely to kill you than a grizzly. Many arctic residents will carry non-lethal deterrents like noisemakers or capsicum spray or a rubber slug chambered in a shotgun. But the second load is lead.

I'm a vegetarian with an abiding love for wild beasts, including apex predators. But if I ever step outside in white bear country, it's with a gun close to hand.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I agree. Someone ecologically minded would let themselves get eaten by an endangered species 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Elegua said:

I agree. Someone ecologically minded would let themselves get eaten by an endangered species 

"The polar bears are dying!"  People in Brooklyn all sob.  People in the true north say "About damn time."  

2 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

I am opposed to shooting bears unless they are rabid.

I have never heard of rabid bears. I have heard about bears trying to eat you or trying to eat other humans.

In that case I think it is OK to stay on top of the food chain and shoot them.

20 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I have never heard of rabid bears. I have heard about bears trying to eat you or trying to eat other humans.

That's *exactly* how I feel about crocodiles...

FKT

• Like 3

I follow Uma.  They were required to carry a rifle on all their hikes for safety reasons.  Interestingly, every restaurant or public building has gun safes where you place your gun when inside and you get a key.  Kinda like the lockers at the airport/bus station/ski lodge/etc.....

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Rabies in bears is extremely rare. Trichinosis is fairly common. Under or uncooked bear is bad Juju.

I had some bear that an friend picked up from a roadkill. A biker hit a bear near Mt Hood and the bear died, so after they packed up the biker in the ambulance, they got the bear home and butchered it. 

Not tasty. 

One day back in middle school, the scion of one of the local families that lives way up the mountain was carrying a large shopping bag around all day.  

He'd accost people and ask, "Hey, do you wanna see my bare feet?"

"Um, no... not particularly, Walt.  Why?"  (This was the flaw in his plan)

But if you looked in the bag, sure enough, he had some fresh bear feet.  

But the bears around here are a whole different story - more like big raccoons, most of the time.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I believe that is the why...they hiked around the old site so didn't stray too far so i'm guessing not much of a threat.  However, both establishments they went into had a gun locker at the door!  Necassary or not, slung over the lovely Kika's lovely derrierre is clever and effective click bait...take that every other bikini driveh sailing vlog!!

3 hours ago, Elegua said:

Someone ecologically minded would let themselves get eaten by an endangered species 

More likely, they would avoid the habitat of the said endangered species.  It's a bit bonkers to go into the domain of an apex predator and then claim self-defence when the said predator eats you.

And since everything in Svalabard is powered by fossil-fuel, a trip there is not good for the climate.

5 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

More likely, they would avoid the habitat of the said endangered species.  It's a bit bonkers to go into the domain of an apex predator and then claim self-defence when the said predator eats you.

And since everything in Svalabard is powered by fossil-fuel, a trip there is not good for the climate.

I respect the natives. I don’t go about in bear country looking like food or swim with sharks.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

I respect the natives. I don’t go about in bear country looking like food or swim with sharks.

Not swimming with sharks is harder than you might think. They are always there, you just can't see them. Just crinkle a plastic bottle underwater and wait a minute or two.  

Bears on the other hand, seem much avoidable. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

I don’t go about in bear country looking like food or swim with sharks.

That would exclude much of BC. You're food to grizzlies. They inhabit about 1/2 the province in quantity and another 1/4 in smaller numbers.

And how do you avoid swimming with sharks in the tropics? They're everywhere (though mostly where humans swim it's smaller reef sharks) but you never know when a big one is coming by for a visit.

4 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Not swimming with sharks is harder than you might think. They are always there, you just can't see them. Just crinkle a plastic bottle underwater and wait a minute or two.  

When I lived in Tucson I used to hike the trails pretty much every weekend. At the ranger station on the way in, they'd inform you if a bear had been sighted and on what trail.

I always decided it was a good day to hike a different trail.

And those were relatively small black bears, not polar bears.

Carrying a rifle in bear country is simple self-preservation. Not being there is the other alternative.

FKT

2 hours ago, Elegua said:

I haven’t swum in 20 yrs but that’s beside the point.

In Australia my local electricity meter reader carries a big stick for the snakes. I am not too sure what he does about the spiders, while the most deadly ones tend to be ground dwelling there are a couple of dangerous species that like the meter box type environment.

This is off topic, but this thread seemed like the most suitable place to put it, as it's at least a similar business model.    

I discovered this evening, actually while I was looking for a particular old tool to send a link to someone on here about, that there is a woman on Ebay who's entire schtick is taking nice antique tools, "fix" them by removing rust and then taking pictures in front of herself in a bra.  Genius at work?   

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/334214904522?hash=item4dd0c2baca:g:cM8AAOSwZX1hjRYQ

image.png

7 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

I've spent a great deal of time in bear country, grizz and blackie, and camped within a stone's toss of cougar dens (found out later). Never fretted it too much, and never carried defense stronger than a ski pole and the largest available can of pepper spray. If that saves me, fine. If not? Fair enuf.

I feel no urge to visit the arctic. If I want -40 and screaming winds, there is the front yard in January. But should I ever, I'd shoulder a gun. Remember: the polar bear has the option to not attack me. In which case, we'll coexist in perfect peace. ;)

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Startracker said:

This is off topic, but this thread seemed like the most suitable place to put it, as it's at least a similar business model.    

I discovered this evening, actually while I was looking for a particular old tool to send a link to someone on here about, that there is a woman on Ebay who's entire schtick is taking nice antique tools, "fix" them by removing rust and then taking pictures in front of herself in a bra.  Genius at work?   

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/334214904522?hash=item4dd0c2baca:g:cM8AAOSwZX1hjRYQ

image.png

There is a long running relationship between mechanics and pretty women. In the past, nearly every shop and garage had calendars with pin-up girls in them. This is just a modern version.

16 hours ago, Zonker said:

Seems to be a reason for a fine though in Svalbard, about 7 minutes in:

She and her bf have a boat too, not sailing one though.

Edited by Upp3
Added info after the yt video
37 minutes ago, Ajax said:

There is a long running relationship between mechanics and pretty women. In the past, nearly every shop and garage had calendars with pin-up girls in them. This is just a modern version.

I'm so numb to shots like that, that I was drawn to the wrench, it's curves and ample weight and smooth finish. 

Not just auto mechanics, I remember going into major plumbing and other residential housing suppliers as a younger builder and being put off by the pin ups behind the counter. That stuff was outdated decades ago but these were the last stinky caves of the fourteen year old 'men' back then. 

I think what happened was women began demanding to see plumbing fixtures and electrical devices way back when and suddenly, these places were no longer mens clubs. Then Home Depot opened the flood gates to buyers meeting the nuts and bolts. Of course car mechanics then finally took their pinups down. 

That a woman will now sell tools that way is no surprise. Some of the biggest misogynists you'll meet, are women. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

So funny, I too was like, huh, cool wrench.

It honestly took me until I wanted to see what else she had before the lightbulb went on.  Felt it fit the thread.  I have a huge soft spot for old odd adjustable wrenches.  Actually found one with a leather belt pouch I'll add to my kit to carry behind a belt knife.  One tool they truly don't make like they used to.  

• Like 1

The calendars never put me off because the women in them chose to pose and were paid for it. Same as the woman selling the wrench. Stuff like that doesn't put me off but neither does it motivate me to part with my money.

Like you, I was more interested in the wrench itself than the A-cups behind it.  I think the curve in the wrench was an early attempt at ergonomics. I have a casual interest in ergonomics especially as it relates to solo sailing. Long term comfort (which reduces fatigue) and efficiency are directly related to safety.

56 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

The wrench in the picture here is not the same as in the link. Anyone know more about it??

My YouTube face for hand tools is scoutcrafter

Inherited one of these from my dad's workbench. One of those things that I've never tried to use but held onto. Think I'll try to polish it up and lubricate it like that.

A friend of mine has 3 daughters who are all back country guides in Svalbard.  While I have a standing invitation to visit and go out on week long camping trips, I still have a desire to not be cold.  But still it is a place where I will definitely visit.

3 hours ago, robtoujours said:

The wrench in the picture here is not the same as in the link. Anyone know more about it??

FYI, you can buy a reproduction from handtoolrescue.com.

There's a youtube channel as well and here's the episode documenting the design & prototyping:

9 hours ago, robtoujours said:

They are sold as bicycle wrenches for some reason.   Tons available.  I don't like the plated ones (they seem softer).  

10 hours ago, robtoujours said:

I have two of them. The good one from my dad is at home in my shop. The lesser one is in the toolbox on the boat. You don't need them often, but when you do...

39 minutes ago, Elegua said:

A plastic bottle half filled with mater makes a sound like a wounded fish. Sharks like it. 

AYFKM?  Uncool.  I think I'll try that if I can convince my FIL to go swimming...

14 minutes ago, Ajax said:

AYFKM?  Uncool.  I think I'll try that if I can convince my FIL to go swimming...

I learned is from one of my friends from Saipan. We were diving in Palau and he took this half filled disposable plastic bottle of water out of his BC and squeezed rapidly it a couple times so it made a crunching chuga-chuga noise and almost immediately we went from zero sharks to like 6 or 7 in about a minute.  After that every time I wanted to know who was in the area I'd bring a half filled water bottle - works a charm. 

3 hours ago, eastbay said:

On 11/17/2021 at 9:03 PM, loneshark64 said:

Just crinkle a plastic bottle underwater and wait a minute or two.  

Wait,what? Whats a plastic bottle got to do with anything?

Hmm. That’s not something I said.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:43 AM, toddster said:

(This was the flaw in his plan)

Better a flaw in your plan than a paw in your flan.

And the thing with the sharks and plastic bottles... I was there when that happened, and I don't think the sharks that appeared liked the sound. To me, they looked right pissed-off. Like, "Stop doing that right now!"

Unfortunately this occurred about 10 minutes after my camera flooded, or I'd have video evidence to present.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, kludge said:

And the thing with the sharks and plastic bottles... I was there when that happened, and I don't think the sharks that appeared liked the sound. To me, they looked right pissed-off. Like, "Stop doing that right now!"

Unfortunately this occurred about 10 minutes after my camera flooded, or I'd have video evidence to present.

There's no pic, so I guess it didn't happen. Those were the days, eh? Red Rooster, betel nuts and sushi with worcestershire for lunch 

AM-JKLUeBInWJqAFEn47VMd--AO8WcsWUL6uCknj

JoHOgAGS2Co0BmzUw-Av3p-2Y7XwnuHc2NRb0ZW_CG8scu3ROISG-pD9FWDthpuHKORJARsQqQaMyzJTzwHurioULfZuD9Lx-BbtN5PQTmm3nPccM033kle_J8axqeSSegmlv3ICgeCfEnzsAJfxQ_p0kitrPUS8qnvwF2tcv_eGfuxqaZqv9Q9A3q8oHKuRdbnQkYkFJs_qNyn3fEtC209f16aq2dYYBT4bTWBhMt91OS4-RnntY9A_rQ2lGN2iBWuQ_Ssa5ZdpgW7go7SKN97Q60ZCnzLq0KrJw0_GD5WGbR0sTyxPfSxsXsuFJ4C8v5PBXN-hW0oSgRbsaUVrueYOGuoZQIzwu6OxkAsuY-z5iQ6x-WrmS7sRT9mM3VaLD5uNCf2KRWb2zo-OnqVdoakZDH7GZuVAC_fgwqWuvjSSqp1-tBkuJZWiXtsUyzyUfJLdnPWSX-8ez2b6Wq-LqAAfbux_gbzXSc6T_nmTJN6VKM_H2LBgdMd5Oq9B7dGJXcjZCMCzbfy61I6xKSZVsRyzoyXtY8oA6sSK7qRWony86UOP7sJpuZxYZp7mg-2zfTDqeIF7Xb7Y05Y37bYVljbVDTDPAO8giwVj2cpDp3KqttsbbQZzo8_UjLkHidnQBGNtf1Vrvqxxk3ok4nPcfudJiG33kt6-whPk0zZkIyILVPmWGPvus2oCA2zkfrwf-XKJRsBiE4A0fu8l_Gs8vXvx=w1863-h1397-no?authuser=0

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Someone picked-up a female companion. Too bad you can't understand a word that comes out of her mouth. 

Speech impediment, Scottish accent, vocal fry?

I'm not tempted to watch especially due to the above above "Youtube sailing",... enticer. 

On 11/22/2021 at 8:55 PM, Elegua said:

Someone picked-up a female companion. Too bad you can't understand a word that comes out of her mouth. 

Oh, I don't know. In many cases, that makes a woman far more attractive, IMO, and easier to spend time with.

On 11/17/2021 at 3:03 PM, chester said:

how's this for click bait?  Kika with a rifle...

I don't need no fucking guns

image.png.5f6ea73cf98f059a3239e6e679fedc19.png

Threadwell: "I would never, ever kill a bear in defense of my own life - would not go into a bear's home and kill a bear."

He kept his word...

Seriously, if you have not seen this film, you should. It is a lot better than anything you will see on these YouTube channels. This guy lived 12 or so summers with Grizzlies. He is fucking nuts, but is self-conscious enough to make it bearable to watch. Some of the footage is amazing and Herzog is brilliant, as he mostly is.

• Like 1