Girl with patreon account goes sailing in hot place

They have another channel with a lot more videos, took me a while to find it amongst all my subscriptions:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MYGALAXY2025/videos

Sailing is in the Kiev region on the Dnieper River if I remember correctly. It's a major waterway in Ukraine.

Lot's more videos of the two boats there too, here is the playlist of all the boat videos (10 videos):

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all I had a few klicks from my favorite sailing forum so I started to search for the tread. Found it! I'm the guy who bought that massive steel thing...  Regarding the mustache, I always

She is the daughter of a sailor Both yachts and RN She came to me fully trained she can hold a course,  cook good food on one ring, loves rowing, can double declutch a land rover and ha

Before Tesla was a thing, I converted a 1974 VW Beetle to 100% battery electric drive. People told me "You can't do that." I did it. I drove it all over the Washington DC/Baltimore region for 2 y

Posted Images

On 12/20/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Is that his boat for the GGR/Southern Ocean?  If so, Pat will be required to play that soundtrack aboard only with a cassette tape player...per GGR rules... :-)

It does get to be a challenge to find muzak without copyright, per YT rules, but that's getting a bit extreme. At that point, I'd rather listen to the rigging creak.

1 hour ago, kludge said:

It does get to be a challenge to find muzak without copyright, per YT rules, but that's getting a bit extreme. At that point, I'd rather listen to the rigging creak.

It is. But it can be done...with the proper microphone.

Minimal music. Maximal awesome. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kludge said:

But… it takes zero musical ability and only a day or so of RTFM to churn out whatever sort of background muzik you desire with GarageBand and its ilk.  The really sad thing is that if you Google into how to do it, you have to swim through a whole ecosystem of scammers trying to con people into buying lists of chords and such.  The really horrifying thing is when you realize that this is the fount of all current pop music.  

• Like 2
On 12/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, loneshark64 said:

Seems like it’s getting harder to come up with new weird stuff for YouTube. We may have reached peak batshit. 

Are you sure about that?   Dude's got a retractable leash for his sheep which pulls his cart, and 50% of his calories come from the sheep milk.  Oh and his fridge is made out of wool, and is charged using a masonry sprayer filled with water and air nozzle added.  That's pretty batshit, and kinda awesome.  

Dunno.  When I was a kid, the wool industry was still alive in Oregon.  But everyone doing it was old.  Seems to have gradually faded away.  Basque shepherds didn’t live too much differently than that. Still a few of them left in Idaho.  The town docks here used to ship bales of wool to the world.  Now I meet friends for a beer at a McPub where the wool warehouses used to be.  Bought a Pendleton Jacket the last year that they were made in-country.  Never did fit though.  (Because I’m built like Frahnkenstein’s monster (Igor didn’t steal matching body parts.)) Wore it twice.  IDK whether to have it tailored or just donate it.  

Had sheep as kids.  Dumb as rocks.  The sheep too.  In the teen years, we all seemed to switch to pigs.  The livestock too.  

• Like 2

5f331a234f1fc.image.png?resize=1000,694

That’s all wool, around 1900..  When I was a teen, I used to buy custom-blended pig feed (by the ton) out of the building with the sign on it.  (Just a parking lot now) Nowadays, the pub is where the next building over to the right was.  

6 hours ago, Startracker said:

Are you sure about that?   Dude's got a retractable leash for his sheep which pulls his cart, and 50% of his calories come from the sheep milk.  Oh and his fridge is made out of wool, and is charged using a masonry sprayer filled with water and air nozzle added.  That's pretty batshit, and kinda awesome.  

You are right. I retract my observation. We are not close to peak batshit. 

You have made me ask questions about myself though. Like what does it say about me that I think a guy kite surfing on ice in 200 degrees below zero is nuts but the homeless hippy seeing the world with his pet sheep is kind of cool?

Anyway, it’s always nice to see a love story.

A38740EC-AF95-46FF-B50B-8F675AD4A8D2.gif.30ce025ef2316bb86e8e2ca0102e0482.gif

22 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

The wool stores on Sydney harbourfront were beautiful old buildings, many now converted to (expensive) apartments. A few have caught fire over the years, the firemen just stand back and watch - all the framing, flooring, etc is from eucalypt, impregnated with lanolyn....

One of the things I love about Cruising Anarchy is if you post a picture of, say, a sheep, two guys will come out of the woodwork and post dissertations on the economics of the wool industry citing Adam Smith and David Ricardo, two more will post about genetic marker variations between breeds in New Zealand and the Hebrides, you-know-who will blame the patriarchy, and one guy will want a sheep to power the heater on his boat en route to Patagonia.

so… here’s a llama. Go:

FCC13834-DBBF-416D-ABD9-DF6E3F4777A9.thumb.jpeg.a937f6936d706bc0108227be987975a5.jpeg

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

One of the things I love about Cruising Anarchy is if you post a picture of, say, a sheep, two guys will come out of the woodwork and post dissertations on the economics of the wool industry citing Adam Smith and David Ricardo, two more will post about genetic marker variations between breeds in New Zealand and the Hebrides, you-know-who will blame the patriarchy, and one guy will want a sheep to power the heater on his boat en route to Patagonia.

so… here’s a llama. Go:

FCC13834-DBBF-416D-ABD9-DF6E3F4777A9.thumb.jpeg.a937f6936d706bc0108227be987975a5.jpeg

If you are thinking about them as pets, you may prefer an Alpaca. Half the height and 1/3 the weight. I learned this from sitting next to a lady on an airplane reading Llamas & Alpacas magazine back in the '90s. She was full of information. 

On another flight, I sat next to a woman who apparently was a major supplier of ostrich eggs back when the great US ostrich farming "boom" took place. I always figured that she may have been one of the few players who made any money before that whole exotic industry fizzled here.

image.png

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

We interrupt this thread drift to bring you a 21-year-old couple who have begun their journey to sail oceans in their Hunter

Canadians are so cute and adorable.  Wonder if they’ll realize they need guns if they’re cruising America.  Can they maintain the cute factor in their vids as they sail ever deeper into the land of guns and god, where their accents will surely mark them as potentially questionable furriners... :-)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

One of the things I love about Cruising Anarchy is if you post a picture of, say, a sheep, two guys will come out of the woodwork and post dissertations...

so… here’s a llama. Go:

She’s kinda cute. Not the llama. And leave David Ricardo outta this!  Brings back horrid memories of international economics class.

FB67C379-AD6B-4121-982E-0E65493E365B.png

15 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Canadians are so cute and adorable.  Wonder if they’ll realize they need guns if they’re cruising America.  Can they maintain the cute factor in their vids as they sail ever deeper into the land of guns and god, where their accents will surely mark them as potentially questionable furriners... :-)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

They are a cute couple, wish them good luck.

Québécois are wonderful until you get them in a bar fight or behind the wheel of a logging truck. Then look out.

1 hour ago, Caliban64 said:

They are a cute couple, wish them good luck.

Québécois are wonderful until you get them in a bar fight or behind the wheel of a logging truck. Then look out.

Or in a business transaction.   :mellow::lol:.  Albertans and Québécois have that in common.  

7 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

so… here’s a llama. Go:

At least sheep don't spit on you.

Goats, however...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

..You have made me ask questions about myself though. Like what does it say about me that I think a guy kite surfing on ice in 200 degrees below zero is nuts but the homeless hippy seeing the world with his pet sheep is kind of cool?

checking in from complete opposite here. guy taking his board out for an afternoon session completely and utterly normal (same with his skiing the fjords). Just basic stuff. (wish I had a spare wing sail kicking around - I'd send it to him).

but living off your goat? that's some weird shit right there. lol.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Tabarnak!

acd066f535307549940760fa913e1704.jpg

People swear about the things they have trouble with. The French have issues with religion, the English with bodily functions

19 hours ago, Startracker said:

This guy is brilliant.  Freer than many will ever be.  A Sean D’Epagnier of the land.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/sean-d-epagnier-and-alexandra?viewport=980,1422,0

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Some see freedom in that mess...others see The Emperor's New Clothes. 

True - some see freedom in, say, the mess that is Trump, etc. etc.  But, personally, I see freedom in what’s-his-name with the sheep cart (and others) who’s consciously chosen not to be a consumer, and is very, very smart and dedicated about it.  He’s freer of the modern economic system and Jeff Bezos than most, and that’s huge.

But does he have any more free time, the ultimate freedom?  Likely not?  I read somewhere that an anthropologists “calculated” that prehistoric humans probably spent about as much time “making a living” as we moderns do, I.e., approximately 40-50 hours a week, depending.  

Maybe freedom is completely abstaining from money, like Mark Suelo!? :-)  (We’re getting into new forum territory here, Freedom Anarchy :-))

On 12/21/2021 at 5:07 PM, Elegua said:

It is. But it can be done...with the proper microphone.

Minimal music. Maximal awesome. 

This guy has only two videos on his channel.  Two!  One shot a year ago, and the other four years ago.  And yet he has nearly 7000 subscribers!  I like it.  Only two quite well-shot videos, with little fanfare/no dialogue/bullshit.  To borrow a phrase, he’s a maximalist in minimalist clothing.

10 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This guy has only two videos on his channel.  Two!  One shot a year ago, and the other four years ago.  And yet he has nearly 7000 subscribers!  I like it.  Only two quite well-shot videos, with little fanfare/no dialogue/bullshit.  To borrow a phrase, he’s a maximalist in minimalist clothing.

They guy never seems to clip on. That's nuts, in my book.

11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Here's one for you.  Older couple go to Puerto Williams in a modest boat. It's in Swedish(?) and an hour long, but they seem to have a great time no matter the conditions.  I think Estar said this was the potentially more risky route with contrary currents /estuary currents and headwinds?

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Early youtubers....no bikinis but a bitey ships dog. I've seen thjs video before, but not heard the vioce-over. 

That Irving Johnson film pops up from time to time, but usually the copyright owner (Mystic Seaport) gets it taken down in a hurry.  

But I suppose that gift-shop sales have probably taken a hit, the last couple of seasons.

6 hours ago, toddster said:

That Irving Johnson film pops up from time to time, but usually the copyright owner (Mystic Seaport) gets it taken down in a hurry.  

But I suppose that gift-shop sales have probably taken a hit, the last couple of seasons.

Pretty cool that nearly a hundred years later the Peking is back in Hamburg..

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Elegua said:

Early youtubers....no bikinis but a bitey ships dog. I've seen thjs video before, but not heard the vioce-over. 

Irving Johnson's narration is as stunning as the film itself.

What a man he was!

As a child, I was fascinated by the articles he wrote for National Geographic about his voyages in the various Yankees. I still have a couple of those old issues somewhere.

8 hours ago, toddster said:

They have a channel, but nothing  on it like this.

1 hour ago, accnick said:

rving Johnson's narration is as stunning as the film itself.

What a man he was!

As a child, I was fascinated by the articles he wrote for National Geographic about his voyages in the various Yankees. I still have a couple of those old issues somewhere.

The narration completely changes it...I only ever saw it as a silent film "(T)he dog is not supposed to bite the paid hands..." :D

I spent some time on a square rigger. Even in calmish trade winds, going out on the yards was a bit nerve wracking. The scariest part for me was when you hang upside down not clipped in to get past the futtock shrouds. Slippery metal bars. At least on the yards you are clipped in. I can't even imagine doing what he was doing. Also, the description of the maintenance....you see that wire splice tool up in the rig...

On 12/23/2021 at 3:46 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yes, I saw that too. Even less Bullshitty than Erik (if that is physically possible), very well filmed. 

On 12/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, floater said:

agree. he seems quite a sane and sensible dude.

except he might find it a bit easier with a wing sail, just sayin.

Thanks, yes I indeed do it just for fun, it's rare to have a suitable beach and wind next to a harbour/anchorage so you have to take what you get.. Really with a drysuit it's not too uncomfortable, people kite in cold waters all the time. I kite in nice weather as well but that's of course not as interesting so doesn't really make it onto the youtube videos ;)

Would love to try wing foiling but I'm already invested in kiting.. Wing would be a bit safer and easier to launch from "exotic" beaches. Plus could paddle back on the board if all goes to hell.

I'll be watching this thread with interest hehe

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, juhok said:

Thanks, yes I indeed do it just for fun, it's rare to have a suitable beach and wind next to a harbour/anchorage so you have to take what you get.. Really with a drysuit it's not too uncomfortable, people kite in cold waters all the time. I kite in nice weather as well but that's of course not as interesting so doesn't really make it onto the youtube videos ;)

Would love to try wing foiling but I'm already invested in kiting.. Wing would be a bit safer and easier to launch from "exotic" beaches. Plus could paddle back on the board if all goes to hell.

I'll be watching this thread with interest hehe

Kitewing, check. Girl in warm place, check.

• Like 2
On 12/22/2021 at 11:38 AM, Fleetwood said:

The wool stores on Sydney harbourfront were beautiful old buildings, many now converted to (expensive) apartments. A few have caught fire over the years, the firemen just stand back and watch - all the framing, flooring, etc is from eucalypt, impregnated with lanolyn....

Busy places, back in the day.

Cutty Sark loading wool in Sydney 1910.

Cutty Sark loading wool in Sydney 1910.jpg

• Like 1
On 12/22/2021 at 1:52 AM, Startracker said:

I'm reserving judgement until I hear how he pronounces "Kinsale".

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm kinda curious... since those in this thread have some robust opinions on the qualities, or lack of, on various YouTube sailing channels, what is it that interests you?

Bikini girls?

Sailing action?

Travel documentary, as in, what's the place they're sailing to like?

History of the visited locations?

Boat tech?

Some other factor not listed?

Personally, I like good scenery and info on cruising grounds, a great soundtrack,  good videography (drones, stabilized video, and no wind noise).  The fewer words the better, however Dylan’s narrations are/were(?) very enjoyable and the exception. Either a small bit of narrative works or a bit of written info added on-screen without narrative is good.

Not interested in click-bait, talk-talk, what we did today or a video version of a boat log, how to fix a (insert basic boat maintenance project here). Lot’s of ‘toddler’ videos lose me pretty quick, first La Vags, now even RAN…

• Like 3

Hmm, I know the folks on Delos so I watch them to see how their lives are going. Brian's boat tech stuff is great basic instructions for newbies when he has to fix (yet again) their aging Volvo or change the generator impeller for the 12th time. In those cases it is enjoyable to watch somebody else fix their issue with me in a comfy chair :) Same reason I watch car repair stuff. I might learn something.

I watched RAN for the travel and because they were relaxed cool sailors

History of the places / travel - sure, it's why I travel too.

Yeah too much "this is what we did today" when there is no real story is a turn off. But they keep churning out videos to feed the Youtube algorithim which I think rewards regular postings.

Ditzy bikini girls (Doodles, Lonestar and a host of others) with nothing to say is boring.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Hmm, I know the folks on Delos so I watch them to see how their lives are going. Brian's boat tech stuff is great basic instructions for newbies when he has to fix (yet again) their aging Volvo or change the generator impeller for the 12th time. In those cases it is enjoyable to watch somebody else fix their issue with me in a comfy chair :) Same reason I watch car repair stuff. I might learn something.

Yeah too much "this is what we did today" when there is no real story is a turn off. But they keep churning out videos to feed the Youtube algorithim which I think rewards regular postings.

Ditzy bikini girls (Doodles, Lonestar and a host of others) with nothing to say is boring.

I have similar viewing habits as well as Sailing Uma.  I find their channel really interesting.  Their electric boat is educational, plus them going to really cold places instead of the usual spots.  Kika isnt bad to look at either. ;)

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

I've binging on Free Range Sailing for a while now. They are a pretty likeable couple. Troy is a man after my own heart, endlessly calm and an unafraid to tackle just about anything. I don't know how he is off camera, but we should all strive to be like Troy's on-camera persona. Pascale's cooking stuff is very interesting as well. Their early bits cruising the Kimberleys was really interesting with the wildlife, terrain and all the native art. Their refit stuff is also interesting and enjoyable for me to watch as well. My only problem with watching them is they make me mighty hungry with all that fresh seafood. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

I've binging on Free Range Sailing for a while now. They are a pretty likeable couple. Troy is a man after my own heart, endlessly calm and an unafraid to tackle just about anything. I don't know how he is off camera, but we should all strive to be like Troy's on-camera persona. Pascale's cooking stuff is very interesting as well. Their early bits cruising the Kimberleys was really interesting with the wildlife, terrain and all the native art. Their refit stuff is also interesting and enjoyable for me to watch as well. My only problem with watching them is they make me mighty hungry with all that fresh seafood. 

Troy & Pascale off camera are just nice people. We spent a fair bit of time with them when they were doing their big refit here in Tasmania. My GF is an excellent cook so they were trading tips on doing stuff as Pascale is a lot more experienced in cooking on a small boat than my GF is. Troy & I built stuff in the shop.

Basically very nice people going to interesting places in a well maintained old boat.

FKT

• Like 5

Thanks for the feedback guys.

This is what I'm doing now. I'm not looking for more views or clicks or likes on this content from you lot. I'm looking at going from jeeping around local spots on my island, into sailing from spot to spot in a wider field, and er, spotlighting the history of those locations. I like the contrast how places were, vs. how they are now. I like to know what happened in a place, and how it's changed since, or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMiHcFrLx0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1T3J9FB1_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiP52C4Kqhs

I do not do this for the likes. It scratches an itch or vice versa. Just curious how many cruisers this sort of thing might interest.

Sailing Uma 's latest episode is direct from passage Svalbard to Iceland.  Their crossing of the Greenland Sea was uneventful, with footage aided by a magic new GoPro that follows the horizon to make a sort of electronic gimballing.  The result is much realistic footage, and if this catches on, the look and feel of sailing videos is in for a big shift.

Cunningly, they satirised the doom-drama video style of a certain Norwegian Contessa sailor by re-editing a chunk of footage to make it look dramatic: start at 19m14s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VSc-yQgYms&t=19m14s

• Like 3
On 1/5/2022 at 9:33 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Basically very nice people going to interesting places in a well maintained old boat.

Also good sailors from the looks of it unlike many YouTube sailing chanels. Good decisions and no (fake) drama are much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Also good sailors from the looks of it unlike many YouTube sailing chanels. Good decisions and no (fake) drama are much appreciated.

This is not fake drama.  Just fake tits.  As to decision-making, I’ll reserve judgment.  But Bobby seems an individual with solid skills that include: premature hair loss treatment; good tan, but not too much sun; buxom, blonde crew, etc.  Rolex YouTube Yachtsman of the Year 2022?

18 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This is not fake drama.  Just fake tits.  As to decision-making, I’ll reserve judgment.  But Bobby seems an individual with solid skills that include: premature hair loss treatment; good tan, but not too much sun; buxom, blonde crew, etc.  Rolex YouTube Yachtsman of the Year 2022?

Ally looks so much like Jessica Simpson.  So hot.

39 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Ally looks so much like Jessica Simpson.  So hot.

We’re talking about Bobby Doodles for Rolex YouTube Yachtsman of the Year here, not Ally.  (I wasn’t sure who Jessica Simpson was, so I googled her -  this was the first search result, so after a very cursory glimpse, I just couldn’t bear to go any further to learn more, it being time I’ll never recover in my short life.  (A fact that dissuades me from watching 99.99% of any YT videos.)  But I take it she looks like Ally (whoever she is - googling “Ally” produces millions of results).

Anyway, back to Rolex YouTube Yachtsman of the Year nominations.  I nominate Bobby Doodles.  Any other nominations, place’em here.  Who’s the YouTube channel dude with all the tattoos who sank his catamaran?  A serious contender too.

4 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Any other nominations, place’em here.

Rigging Doctor.

Nominated for being completely delusional about his expertise while keeping his boat in a messy state of perpetual brokenness. Bonus points for banging a chick with crazy dyed hair and making her go to sea even though she gets seasick every trip. Bonus bonus points for the classy act of filming her throwing up and posting it on YouTube.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Sailing Uma 's latest episode is direct from passage Svalbard to Iceland.  Their crossing of the Greenland Sea was uneventful, with footage aided by a magic new GoPro that follows the horizon to make a sort of electronic gimballing.  The result is much realistic footage, and if this catches on, the look and feel of sailing videos is in for a big shift.

Cunningly, they satirised the doom-drama video style of a certain Norwegian Contessa sailor by re-editing a chunk of footage to make it look dramatic: start at 19m14s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VSc-yQgYms&t=19m14s

I thought  Viking Erik’s shtick (besides his made-for-TV voice/accent) is that he does his sailing solo, and in winter, which is horrendously cold up there?  Also - I enjoyed his vid of his winter sail to Northern Scotland, in Shetland, to attend the Celtic/Viking fire festival there, the Up Helly Aa.  Torches in the streets, a Viking sailing wintry seas to attending an ancestral fire festival on dark winter nights.  Uma’s stuff seems so bourgeois and milquetoast in comparison, Sam Holmes-ish, one might say. But - they did sell their couch. Erik can go back home at the end of his days and edit his stuff then go recline on his couch at home with a beer in front of the fire.  The Umas are stuck on board their cold moist boat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Uma’s stuff seems so bourgeois and milquetoast in comparison, Sam Holmes-ish, one might say

That is an interesting take.   I like Erik's videos, but his Viking hardman act is a bit mono-dimensional ... and that seems to me to be a close parallel with Sam Holmes' mono-mode, always wearing the same inane grin and always disengaged from his surroundings.

By contrast, Dan & Kika come across as multi-dimensional humans, who actually have more than one mood.

• Like 1

'As to decision-making'
Bobby almost sunk his last sailboat. He said he heard something broke loose up front while bashing into waves but did want to go forward to see. His anchor broke loose and the chain wrapped around the prop.

32 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

By contrast, Dan & Kika come across as multi-dimensional humans, who actually have more than one mood.

Sure, they’re urbane, North American university-educated, emotionally-stable, sponsored professionals.  Great.  That kind of boring stuff does not fly on YouTube.  

The age-old media dictum is, “If it bleeds, it leads”, “Man Bites Dog,” etc.

Entertainment rules!  :-) 

• Like 1

I thought  Viking Erik’s shtick (besides his made-for-TV voice/accent) is that he does his sailing solo, and in winter, which is horrendously cold up there?  Also - I enjoyed his vid of his winter sail to Northern Scotland, in Shetland, to attend the Celtic/Viking fire festival there, the Up Helly Aa.  Torches in the streets, a Viking sailing wintry seas to attending an ancestral fire festival on dark winter nights.  Uma’s stuff seems so bourgeois and milquetoast in comparison, Sam Holmes-ish, one might say. But - they did sell their couch. Erik can go back home at the end of his days and edit his stuff then go recline on his couch at home with a beer in front of the fire.  The Umas are stuck on board their cold moist boat.

About that couch....According to James Brown

"You got to have something to sit on
Before I carry you home
Don't say I ain't got it because I can't do without it" 

4 minutes ago, Elegua said:

About that couch....According to James Brown

"You got to have something to sit on
Before I carry you home
Don't say I ain't got it because I can't do without it" 

About that couch...according to Rick James

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

About that couch...according to Rick James

"Look here now, we better tell 'em one more time (one more)
Brother, tell 'em one more time (one more)
I don't think they understand us
You better tell 'em one more time

Now, brother don't leave the homework undone"

51 minutes ago, jvodan said:

'As to decision-making'
Bobby almost sunk his last sailboat. He said he heard something broke loose up front while bashing into waves but did want to go forward to see. His anchor broke loose and the chain wrapped around the prop.

“up front”

4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That's disgusting. Not clicking on any more links you post!

21 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

That's disgusting. Not clicking on any more links you post!

That was posted up thread many moons ago.  One of the classic Sailing Doodles vids.  And not by me.

Another classic one is the vid of him and the lasses (them only, actually) balancing on a slack line somewhere tropical...bet ya can’t resist searching for it!! :-) :-).  I refuse to, as it’s old and dated content.  No longer relevant or fresh.  But it does have some great must-see technical sailing-related tips in it.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:50 AM, kludge said:

I'm kinda curious... since those in this thread have some robust opinions on the qualities, or lack of, on various YouTube sailing channels, what is it that interests you?

[...]

Some other factor not listed?

The sailing/boating videos I've enjoyed most have combined:

• Quiet competence in seamanship
    • no contrived or exaggerated crises
    • Reasonable, defensible judgement calls OK even if they they end badly
    • outright idiocy not OK
  • Good cinematography
    • basics of lighting, focus, composition, editing
    • reasonable overall resolution and quality
    • avoidance of distracting camera shake
  • A sense of place with footage and narration describing local features and history
    • but avoiding contrived "tourist trap" aspects e.g. the Southernmost Point or local music that isn't really any good
  • Respectful authenticity
    • No people puking or suffering from ciguatera
    • No gratuitious sexualization that isn't an organic part of the story or place
    • No gratuitous use of drugs, alcohol, partying etc. that aren't relevant to the story
  • Respect for the viewer
    • A reasonable request for financial support at the beginning or end of the clip is perfectly fine
    • Product placement and "partnerships" that affect the course of the narrative are a turn off
    • Excessive shilling for tips is not respectful
    • Ploys like encouraging viewers to apply to become crew are not respectful unless followed through upon in an authentic way with promises kept
  • Quality in storytelling
    • Generally, a sense of beginning, middle, and end
    • Neutral point of view without a political agenda

KTL, CruisingTheCut, Fun on Holiday, early Delos, others.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

• outright idiocy not OK
  • Good cinematography
  • A sense of place with footage and narration describing local features and history
    • but avoiding contrived "tourist trap" aspects e.g. the Southernmost Point or local music that isn't really any good
    • No gratuitous use of drugs, alcohol, partying etc. that aren't relevant to the story
  • Respect for the viewer
    • A reasonable request for financial support at the beginning or end of the clip is perfectly fine
    • Product placement and "partnerships" that affect the course of the narrative are a turn off
    • Ploys like encouraging viewers to apply to become crew are not respectful unless followed through upon in an authentic way with promises kept

Thank you for this thoughtful answer. I have similar standards for what I will and won't watch on YT, especially on topics I feel more knowledgeable on.

9 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

• outright idiocy not OK
  • Good cinematography
  • Respect for the viewer

That's a thoughtful and  interesting set of criteria, @2airishuman.  There is a lot I agree with, but some l disagree with, such as the "neutral point of view without a political agenda".  Nobody is neutral, and everyone has a political agenda: I much prefer people who are self-aware and upfront about their worldview than those who pretend not to have one.

I am not much concerned with quality of videography.  That can help, but to me it is a long way behind my overriding priority: a compelling story,  honestly-told and well-narrated, with awareness and respect for what's going on around you, and a minimum of self-promotion, whining, narcissism, begging, merchandising, drama-making etc

That's why I like Mads Dahlke's "Sail Life".  Yes, he's a gadget-obsessed geek, but he always tells a good story about what he does and why he is doing it.  And he is wittily self-deprecating.

At the other extreme, Sam Holmes is the most boring man on Youtube.  He can't tell a story, shows zero awareness of his surroundings or himself, and no amount of good videography can redeem those fatal flaws.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, kludge said:

Thank you for this thoughtful answer. I have similar standards for what I will and won't watch on YT, especially on topics I feel more knowledgeable on.

As I've often said, experienced sailors are NOT the target demographic of many of the various sailing channels. These people are targeting dirt dwellers trapped in lives of quiet desperation.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

• outright idiocy not OK
  • Good cinematography
  • Respect for the viewer

I don't subscribe to any of the sailing Youtube channels. I see enough bits and pieces posted here and little has drawn my interest. 

I don't  know where Dylan has gone to but I was delighted to see much of his work posted on his Youtube channel.

His simple, clear crisp portrayal of sailing is w